Ethiopian Airlines

"return flight also cancelled"

(Tanzania)

Trip Verified | Kilimanjaro to Mahe via Addis Ababa. Flight from Addis to Seychelles was cancelled by a phone call 25 hours before. Then the return flight was also cancelled! This time with no warning, no email. No Ethiopian staff at the airport. This is the first time that I have a flight cancelled. And it happened twice in 1 week, with Ethiopian Airlines. So I won't fly again with them. The connection in Addis airport is terrible. Spent 11 hours there. So happy it won't happen again.
AircraftA350 / Boeing 737
RouteKilimanjaro to Mahe via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2018

"experience was awful"

Trip Verified | We flew Ethiopian from Los Angeles to Dublin. They changed our departure date to two days later and did not email us to tell us about the change. We only found out the day we were supposed to fly by checking the details on a separate online site. I talked to three supervisors and was not able to get an earlier flight, a compensation, or a bump to business class. We nearly missed a wedding and lost money on pre-booked accommodation and buses. They just kept insisting that the system is supposed to send an email. They also did not give us our pre-requested vegetarian meal option. They only had meat and could not give me a main course. Finally they found one vegetarian left and split it between all the people who did not have their requested meal. She kept insisting that we were not on the list for requested meals. A boy was vomiting on the plane and the attendants did not come when we used the button to call them. Nor did they come later when I needed a customs form. My seat could not fully recline and my onboard entertainment system was broken. This whole experience was awful, I told the employees that if they could not do anything to help the situation, either by booking an earlier flight, providing partial or full compensation, or giving us some sort of bump for the lost time and money that we encountered due to their mistake, that I would never fly with them again and would never recommend them. They did nothing and here we are.
RouteLos Angeles to Dublin

"very unpleasant experience"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Addis Ababa to Cape Town. This airline should be called a low service airline. Any interaction with ground staff in Addis Ababa assuming you can speak to them is unpleasant. The staff at Addis Ababa airport speak in one word sentences and often bark instructions at people. 10 days ago I spent 3 and half hours in a queue for a hotel voucher. The staff were rude and unhelpful. When we arrived at the shabby hotel we were offered over cooked food. On my way back to Cape Town today I was forced to stay a night in another hotel. It was a very unpleasant experience bed bugs crawling all over my skin and no hot water to wash them off. I have been coming to Addis Ababa using Ethiopian Airline for thirteen years. It is still as unpleasant as it was thirteen years ago.
RouteAddis Ababa to Cape Town

"No proper communication"

(Kenya)

Trip Verified | My plane from Nairobi to Cairo got cancelled. Stayed at JKIA from 3pm to 3am. Had to complain alot before we could be taken to a hotel after a lot of cold and mosquito bites. Didn't help that I travelled with my daughter and young niece. Coming back from Cairo Egyptair was amazing and on time. Arrived at Addis at 4am. ET flight 304 was to leave by 11.45am. Got delayed to 2pm. Got changed to an earlier flight ET 302. To depart at 9:30am. This too got delayed to 12 pm then delayed again to 2pm. Then delayed again to 4pm. How ridiculous. Stayed at airport on this connecting flight for 12 hours straight. No proper communication on what was going on. Rude ground staff especially on boarding flight. Wish communication was more forth coming. No compensation on delayed flight. When I got my luggage in Nairobi it was damaged. Very disappointed. Will never use Ethiopian Airlines again. Very unprofessional service. Stop over at Addis did not help. Crowded airport. Nothing to do there. Few restaurants and duty free shops.
RouteAddis to Nairobi
Date FlownAugust 2018

"we do not have yellow cards"

Trip Verified | Mumbai to Mahe via Addis Ababa. Our flight from Mumbai was delayed by 6 hours but there was no communication on this. As a result we missed our connection from Ethiopia and had to stay back in Ethiopia for a day. When we landed in Ethiopia from Mumbai our luggage was missing. It took them another 3 to 4 hours to find the luggage. I went myself into the storage rooms and looked for the luggage. Upon complaint of this there was no response from the ground staff. Next day when we went to catch our onward flight to Seychelles, we were told that we will be detained here as we do not have yellow cards. This was not asked from any other passengers as we all were on transit visa. Only when we threatened to call Indian Embassy and complain about this were we let go but not before we had to sign a document which had a 5000$ or something bond and said we are responsible if Seychelles decides to detain us.
RouteMumbai to Mahe via Addis Ababa
Date FlownDecember 2017

"lowest level of service possible"

(Lebanon)

Trip Verified | I don't know where to start. The lowest level of service possible, the most ignorant, slow, unskilled and unprofessional staff I've ever seen, the oldest aircraft and amenities possible, the most arrogant, pretentious and unwelcoming employees. What a terrible image of Ethiopia and of your own culture they give to foreigners. They treat their clients with such disregard and nonchalance. And the pretension goes all the way to calling their airline: "The best in Africa." Really? How about the worst in Africa, or even the worst in the world. This airline should stop operating if they don't plan on changing their management.
RouteCape Town to Beirut via Addis Abbaba

"my luggage was damaged"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Riyadh via Addis Ababa. All my flights from beginning to end of my trip were delayed. At Addis Ababa Airport, staff lied about loading my luggage onto my flight. My luggage arrived in Johannesburg a day after I did and it was badly damaged. Ethiopian Airlines refused to do anything about it saying that according to their records my luggage arrived in good order, even though airport staff themselves wrote a comment and signed the delivery invoice acknowledging that my luggage was damaged.
RouteJohannesburg to Riyadh via Addis Ababa

"missing onward connection"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Nairobi to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa. Was booked on flight ET 303 which was supposed to depart at 11h35 in Nairobi but ended up departing at 20H10 resulting in myself missing an onward connection ET 849. I had to stand in a queue for more than 2 hours to get an allocation to the next flight to Johannesburg. There was no one manning the queue resulting in squabbles among frustrated passengers.
RouteNairobi to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa

"Service onboard fine"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Khartoum to Kigali via Addis Ababa on 16 Aug. 2018 on Boeing 737-800 and Boeing 737-700, respectively. Both flights delayed. Arrived in KRT 5 hours late (with Fydubai from DXB) due to closure of the airport. KRT airport had a crash and the lanes were blocked 4 hours in the morning. Had to accept No-Show and rebooking fee to ET just outside the airport. Had no visa but transit passed relatively smoothly with a lot of officers leading and attending me while retaining my passport. A humiliating experience but I know these things eventually works out well – just don’t be fuzzy. Ticket reissue went very fast, paid 100 USD cash. Both Boarding passes received in KRT which proved crucially necessary: flight became 45 Min. delayed. Bus-gatings from/to terminals throughout, very tiresome: I waited in KRT >30 Minutes with 80 passengers in a double-bus before it took-off to the aircraft 200 meters away. Transit in ADD was horrible due to hundreds of people waiting and blocking security check. Manage in last Minute to board an old 737-700 to Kigali. However, after boarding delayed >1 hour on tarmac due to “gas refuelling” discovered though the captains’ recalculation of amount needed. Service onboard were fine on both flights and could refill hot meals and drinks, inc. wine. Expensive ticket. Cannot recommend for unexperienced travellers.
AircraftBoeing 737-700 / 737-800
RouteKhartoum to Kigali via Addis Ababa

"The worst experience"

Trip Verified | Blantyre to Dubai via Addis Ababa. The worst experience and the ordeal is not finished yet and I am still waiting at Addis Ababa to go to Dubai. The problem started when flight at Blantyre was delayed by 3 hours. The worst, the booking clerk issued boarding pass till Addis Ababa and told me to collect boarding pass of Dubai at Addis Ababa. I believed and it was my biggest mistake. Now I came to Addis Ababa and after continuous follow up with the person concern i could not get boarding pass. They asked me to wait for some time and checked 80% passenger and then declared flight is full and next flight is in morning. It is to be noted that my flight was at 9.35 pm from Addis Ababa which got delayed to 1 am and after it was declared full, next flight announced was at 10.00 am in morning. There were around 25 passenger stranded without their fault in fact it was fault of Ethiopian airlines. After a lot of fight, struggle and waiting at 3 am new ticket is issued and we are left at low class lounge at our mercy to wait till 9.45 pm - promised to provide hotel but it is certain no such facility will be given because there are more than 500 people stranded for different flight because of overbooking and nobody is there to console or give appropriate reply.
RouteBlantyre to Dubai via Addis Ababa