Ethiopian Airlines

"seats must have been 17 years old"

(Slovakia)

Trip Verified | Mekele to Dakar via Addis Ababa. The short flight from Mekele to Addis Ababa was on B737 with good regional business class but very low quality snack was served. On arrival all business class passengers got into minivan, only I was told to take economy class bus as minivan is only for VIP passengers. Older business class lounge in Addis Ababa but fine for 2 hours and with quite good breakfast selection. When I did web checking I noticed that originaly scheduled B787 was switched to B767. I was not alarmed as all Boeing 767 were supposed to be refurbished with lie flat beds. So I was shocked when I boarded to see recliner seats which must have been 17 years old. The seat would be ok for short regional flight but not for 10 hours I spent on the plane (there was technical stop in Bamako). On seat under the pillow and blanket there was left lots of rubbish from previous flights. Only overhead monitors were available and these were so low quality and dark that it was impossible to watch anything. Crew was just OK. They did what they were supposed to do but not very friendly. Food was edible, with the exception of Ethiopian dish which was excellent (you get both western and Ethiopian dish) and it is good that they serve it from trolley, otherwise I would have difficulties to know what to choose. In future if I could be guaranteed that flight would be operated with A350 or B787 and ticket price would be good, I wouldn’t have problem flying Ethiopian again. But knowing that the planes can be switched to this kind of inferior product, I would not fly again with them. When I was leaving Dakar (fortunately on other airline) there was Ethiopian Boeing 737 at airport. I am not sure if it was originally scheduled airplane or there was aircraft change, but this B737 would be even worse for length of this flight than the B767.
AircraftBoeing 737 / 767
RouteMekele to Dakar via Addis Ababa
Date FlownMarch 2018

"They cancelled my flight"

Trip Verified | Dar Es salaam to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa. This is the worst experience I've had with an airline. They cancelled my flight and didn’t notify me. I incurred hotel costs and were unwilling to reimburse me. The worst part is their customer service, their agent hung up on me when I trying to request another flight. Please stay away from them. I don’t want anyone to go through what I went through.
RouteDar Es salaam to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa
Date FlownMay 2018

"leg space in economy good"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Cape Town to Frankfurt via Addis Ababa. Friendly staff at check-in counters, leg space in economy good. The plane not very clean, my seat was wet, rubbish was in the seat pocket, received a chicken dish that was tough - the friendly cabin staff replaced it with the other meal option. I did forget (and so did the staff) that I ordered the vegan option online. On my flight back I did receive the vegan meals - from Frankfurt to Addis Ababa it was very pleasant, from Addis Ababa to Cape Town it was dry and spicy and I couldn't eat it. From Addis Ababa to Cape Town the cabin staff was very inattentive - it was freezing cold in the plane and only after my third request and 25min later did I receive a blanket
RouteCape Town to Frankfurt via Addis Ababa

"helpful and courteous"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Los Angeles. Check in desk staff very helpful and courteous both in Dublin and Los Angeles. Plane clean, very comfortable and Air Hostess also very helpful and polite. I found the flight very smooth, plenty of inflight movies etc. It was my first time flying with this airline and I would have no hesitation in booking another flight with Ethiopian Airlines.
RouteDublin to Los Angeles
Date FlownMay 2018

"Addis Ababa airport very old"

Trip Verified | London to Harare via Addis Ababa with 3 adults, a child 7 years and a toddler 14 months. Addis Ababa airport very old and quite dirty, not enough seating considering it’s one of the main points for transferring passengers to the rest of world. A lot of the same shops not a good variety or choices. Not a lot of food shops, a lot of souvenir shops and very expensive too. Plane service from staff bad, I don’t know if it’s a culture thing but some staff no thank you or please. They tell you how it is, it’s like they had no customer service training what so ever. One even rolled her eyes at me! When I ask them for water or if they have food for my tod (of course I had some, but I did request when booking flight), they say I will check and never come back to me with an answer. Flight attendants talk across the aisles and passing food and drinks to each other, over passengers heads. Very unprofessional and disorganised. Food choices and quality was poor, I know being in economy doesn’t help but I’ve seen and tasted better. When they run out of one option they say to me beef? Instead of apologising for running out of options and offering me beef. What if I had said no? Entertainment wasn’t bad. Seating was quite spacious (comparing to Virgin Atlantic). Plane from London to Addis Ababa was quite new so felt clean. Addis Ababa onwards plane condition quite old and tattered.
RouteLondon to Harare via Addis Ababa
Date FlownApril 2018

"the worst customer service"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Cape Town to Riyadh via Addis Ababa. I fly regularly with Ethiopian Airlines for reasons of trip time. The staff are very friendly but the airline has the worst customer service. The return leg of the flight Cape Town - Addis Ababa - Riyadh flight was changed in itinerary in 2017 so that the all of the connecting international flights from Addis to Riyadh are 20 minutes after landing. The connecting flight includes a bus transfer to Terminal 2 and then a bus transfer from terminal 2 to terminal 1 (no direct option). This transfer time takes on average 40 minutes from time of landing (I have done this flight for 4 years 4-6 times a year) this means that the airline sells transfer / connecting flights that are impossible to catch. The first time I was caught out on this trip I ended up spending 9 hours in terminal 1 (a terminal that is not fit for international travellers in terms of cleanliness and facilities). On this occasion I had to wait 5 hours before anyone could tell me that a replacement flight could be obtained and waited an additional 4 hours for the next flight. The next time I flew this route after seeking assurance from the customer services that I could make the connecting flight, I ended up staying 24 hours and it took more than 12 hours before any representative could tell me; 1 if i would be getting another flight and 2 in this case a hotel. The local representative took my passport and returned it 12 hours later. Even now, if I phone and speak to supervisors of the airline they assure me that a 20 minute stopover on an international flight is acceptable. This means anyone on this flight will need the pilot to land in excess of 1 hour early. This is the issue with flights - however the real tragedy and stunning lack of assistance comes when trying to redeem airmiles. Having tried for 5 hours once with online assistance and 5 phone calls to Ethiopia South Africa and Saudi local offices, the transaction was not able to complete without a visit to a local branch - thus 3 hours online 2 hours of telephone calls and 1 and a half hours of trip to local office to get a single return flight – 6 and a half hours of time including lost working time. On a trip to South Africa in January this year I tried to upgrade my ticket to business class. This could not be achieved online so after 2 hours on the phone the assistant could not take payment of any of my credit cards. This left me with no option but to travel into central Cape Town to pay. On a separate occasion in the beginning of 2017 I received a (false) email message on a Saturday that my return flight to Saudi Arabia was being brought forward by 1 day. After 3 hours attempting to contact Ethiopian airlines locally and internationally (no answer local or on the international toll number) and a trip to the airport we found out the email was incorrect. I am not joking when I say that the list goes on. But systems that don’t work, false instructions impossible connections and lack of ability to contact or get assistance, staff not picking up telephones, local toll free numbers that do not work etc. mean that this airline is a disaster for the traveller.
RouteCape Town to Riyadh via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"the airport was dirty"

(Rwanda)

Trip Verified | Kigali to London via Addis Ababa. I will never fly Ethiopian airlines again. The worst service I have ever experienced, the airport was dirty, credit card machines were broken both times I was there, the bathrooms were overcrowded, and the staff were outright rude to passengers. I thought the cheaper price would be worth it, but now I know to pay slightly more and travel with another airline.
RouteKigali to London via Addis Ababa
Date FlownApril 2018

"traveling alone with a baby"

(Kenya)

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to Nairobi via Addis Ababa. I was traveling alone with my 3 month old. At check in in Tel Aviv I requested to be given a seat on the 11th row (first row in economy) so that I could get a baby bed. 11th row is usually the first in economy for the Ethiopian Airlines flights I took. The check in woman told me the row was on an exit so she couldn't. So I asked for a window seat & she said all were booked. I was placed on row 12 in the middle column. When we boarded, I noticed there was no one on the seats on row 11 ahead of me. The row wasn't on an exit either and the other row 11 seats on the right and left were occupied each by a family with 2 kids each. Also, there were several unoccupied window seats. I checked in 3hrs before the flight & usually those travelling with infants & toddlers have to do a physical check in, not online. I was the only person traveling alone with a baby and mine was the youngest infant. I should have at least gotten some consideration if not first priority.
RouteTel Aviv to Nairobi via Addis Ababa
Date FlownApril 2018

"definitely fly Ethiopian again"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Kiliminjaro via Addis Ababa Outbound flight to JRO via ADD and inbound to BKK via ADD were very smooth and on time. The cabin on the Boeing 787 is large, big windows and air humidity control, comfortable seats brightly colored in green upholstery all make for a pleasant journey. Even in economy class I received a travel kit with toothbrush, toothpaste, socks and a really useful eye-mask that actually helped me get to sleep and stay asleep. Food was served twice on the red-eye between BKK and ADD. I declined the first meal to sleep instead, but breakfast was acceptable with juices and hot coffee served. The terminal at ADD is a bit chaotic but was able to find restrooms, then a cafe with reasonably priced food and free wifi between flights. There are no lounges accessible with Priority Pass. Aside from Cloud 9 or Star Alliance lounges there are some open free areas with lounge beds that allow you to fully lie down and rest. Lunch between ADD and JRO, on an A330 this time, was tasty and went down well with red wine. Return flights were about the same in terms of food and flight comfort, and both legs were on the Dreamliner. Excellent IFE on the Dreamliner, plenty of choices of movies, documentaries and TV series. Service on all legs was good but FAs could have brought around liquid refreshments more often to keep us better hydrated. Great value for money and would definitely fly Ethiopian again on this route.
AircraftBoeing 787-8, A330
RouteBangkok to Kiliminjaro via Addis Ababa
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"nice, helpful and understanding"

Trip Verified | I was sceptical about booking Ethiopian Airlines because of the reviews I had read in the past. However, I decided to try them and see for myself. The flight was from Lagos, Nigeria to Toronto, Canada. I can testify that it was a wonderful experience. From the hostesses to the pilots, they were courteous! I travelled with my family and my toddler which was a handful. The hostesses were so nice, helpful and understanding! There was also entertainment kits for kids. They were always checking up on us to see if we needed anything. I am going to fly Ethiopian Airlines again and I recommend them to others.
RouteLagos to Toronto