Ethiopian Airlines

"No explanations nothing"

Trip Verified | Washington to Blantyre via Addis Ababa. We boarded the plane then they announce that the door can not close. we were on the plane for over 3 hours without food or drink. Then they made us get off the plane to board another plane. An hour or so later we boarded the same plane we were sitting for 3hrs on. No explanations nothing. I asked for something to eat as I need to take medication I was denied food. Worst experience ever flying. I have written to them to complain and up to now no one from Ethiopian Airlines has bothered to contact me or respond.
RouteWashington to Blantyre via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Good food, great service"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa. The seat pitch is noticeably more than on other airlines bigger aircraft. Good food, great service and smooth transit. Would definitely fly Ethiopian again!
RouteTel Aviv to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2018

"don't put yourself through such"

(Botswana)

Trip Verified | So I was told my Ethiopian Airlines flight from Ethiopia to Botswana was full and I would have to sleep in the airport until tomorrow for the next flight. After 13 hours of flying. My head and body hurt so bad. Just don't put yourself through such.
RouteChicago to Botswana via Ethiopia

"inefficient under staffed"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | I did a return trip with these guys from Johannesburg to Ouagadougou via Addis Ababa. Not one part of the transit went well, besides the checkin at JHB. This is by far the worst airline and airport experience ever. They are completely inefficient under staffed.
RouteAddis Ababa to Johannesburg

"comfortable and pleasurable"

(Nigeria)

Trip Verified | Lagos to Newark via Lome. It was an absolute pleasure flying Ethiopian to the US. For an 11 hour flight it was very comfortable and pleasurable. From Check in to boarding the process was really smooth. The transit was equally very smooth. In-flight entertainment was also great and plenty of leg room even in economy. I'll recommend Ethiopian for any one flying to the US from Africa.
RouteLagos to Newark via Lome

Ethiopian Airlines customer review

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Nairobi via Addis Adaba. I was hesitant to book with Ethiopian airlines, however the schedule suited us. We flew from Johannesburg to Nairobi with a stop over in Addis Adaba. Firstly our plane was delayed by a couple of hours in Addis Adaba which is no big deal however we were ushered into a gate that was a construction zone through security where we had to wait. There was no air conditioning and the drinking water tanks were all empty. When we finally got on the plane I had to ask 5 times for some water for my children. I had pre selected our seats and was told that due to traveling with children we could not sit in the selected seats as it was an exit row. So they reallocated our seats and we were not sitting with our 5 and 7 year old children. I argued that I was not willing to allow my young children to sit next to strangers. I was told that I had to swap myself with other passengers when I boarded the plane. Luckily the other passengers allowed us to sit together. No thanks to Ethiopian Airlines. I also noticed after boarding that our original allocated seats were NOT in an exit row. When we arrived at Nairobi 2 of our bags were missing. After spending over an hour filling out paperwork at the airport we finally got to leave without the 2 bags. After 3 days of having no clothes mosquito spray and toiletries which we had to purchase ourselves again, our bags were located and my safari company picked the bags up for us. When we received the bags they were both badly broken. I spoke to the manager when we returned to the airport and was told there was nothing she could do and we should speak to the manager when we arrive back to Johannesburg. I spoke to somebody at the desk in Johannesburg and he gave me more paperwork and was told somebody would contact me. It has now been 3 weeks and after I have sent many emails, messages etc I still haven’t heard back from the airline.
RouteJohannesburg to Nairobi via Addis Adaba
Date FlownJune 2018

"impressed by their professionalism"

Not Verified | Recently I was traveling from New Delhi to Cape Town via Addis Ababa with Ethiopian Airlines. At Cape Town International airport, I found my big trolley bag is broken. I lodged a complain at the Baggage Claim counter. The took my details. Within 3 days they collected the broken luggage from my flat and in another 7 days they replaced it with a brand new trolley bag with same size and same color. I am really impressed by their professionalism. Thank you Ethiopian Airlines
RouteDelhi to Cape Town via Addis Ababa

"terrible check-in process"

c✅ Trip Verified | London to Blantyre via Addis Ababa. Terrible check-in process at all airports. Could only check in for one flight at a time, had to provide the credit card used while in Addis Ababa (what if we hadn’t brought it?) despite booking months in advance. Unfriendly customer service. Was not clear on booking they flights 2+3 was a stopover rather than a transfer which was nice except it led to ticketing confusion which annoyed their staff. Food was acceptable but ran out of options halfway. Great range of meal choices offered on the website. I picked a Hindi meal. These were not offered on any flights - only chicken or beef. They were always out of the vegetarian option and usually out of the beef. They did at least fill my water bottle multiple times.
RouteLondon to Blantyre via Addis Ababa

"I am very displeased"

(Nigeria)

Trip Verified | I checked a bag into Ethiopian Airlines on my flight from Enugu to Heathrow London on the 16th of June 2018. I have not seen my baggage and I made an official report in Heathrow and they said they will bring the bag. 3 days later, they have not brought my bag. Never knew it is a risk to check in my bag on an Ethiopian Airlines flight. I still have my baggage claim receipt and the proof of my report. I am very displeased.
RouteEnugu to London Heathrow,London via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJune 2018

"Young, friendly cabin staff"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Hong Kong. Young, friendly cabin staff. Food and IFE okay. Aircraft although relatively new felt worn out, especially the seat cushions. Plenty of legroom and flight only 1/3 full, including the return flight from HKG to BKK. Bargain price (100GBP for return flight) since I booked the day before, cheaper than a LLC ticket!
RouteBangkok to Hong Kong