Ethiopian Airlines Passenger Reviews and Ethiopian Airlines Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2012 by Adam Simmons (Spain)

FRA-ADD-LLW on 26/11 and LLW-FBM-ADD-FRA on 5/12. FRA routes now undertaken with Boeing 787, a very pleasant experience especially as load factor was < 50% on each leg. LLW-FBM-ADD - the plane developed a technical fault at LLW which delayed us by an hour. On arrival at FBM, it took at least 20 minutes for passengers to alight, but none boarded for a very long time. All in all, we were kept in the plane and on the ground at FBM for 4 hours. By far the worst part of the experience was the lack of info from the flight deck. We landed in FBM in atrocious weather, which lightened up soon afterwards. On one of the captain's rare PA's, we were told that the delay was weather-related. More likely, the plane developed the same/another technical fault. We finally arrived in ADD some 6 hours late at 3am.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2012 by J Langford (UK)

KUL-BKK in economy because it was less than 3 hours. Plane was a 767, and showing its age somewhat. Ashtrays, some of which were missing leaving gaping holes in the arm rests, non-working smoking and seatbelt lights, and to be fair, the plane didn't smell particularly nice. One of the TV's was broken, and displayed a distorted safety briefing. No headphones provided. Plane had only around 50 people on. Meal was edible and staff seemed friendly to me. Served drinks 3 times on the 2 hour flight, without any prompting from myself (Beer was nearly at its expiry date). I would fly Ethiopian again at a push, although only as a last minute alternative to being shoehorned into an Air Asia seat.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  15 November 2012 by Joe Crane (USA)

At one time, I was a gold member with Ethiopian Air and left due to the poor plane quality, treatment of business class customers and staff. This was more before their Star Alliance designation and new fleet. Unfortunately, it does not seem much has changed. On the 6 hour flight from Johannesburg to Addis, the business class seats barely recline, meal service takes most of the flight and there is no personal entertainment system which is standard on most economy flights let alone business. Lounge in Addis which should be their flagship is still overcrowded with slow internet and no priority boarding for business passengers. On the plane from Addis to Nairobi, my original seat was taken when I boarded. I asked the flight attendant and simply redirected me to another seat even though I was originally seated next to my wife. Very little room for overhead luggage so the stewardess said she would take care of it. I asked her not to put my bags in the back and she agreed. I look behind and she is already halfway down the plane. I hope the Star Alliance designation will eventually force a higher standard. Until then, Ethiopian remains a carrier of last resort.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2012 by Adrian Johnston (Canada)

NBO-ADD-BKK-HKG in business class on old 767 planes. While I am fully aware that this airline has both 777 and new 787 planes, these old 767s are in very poor condition. Broken seats, poor leg rest (really no leg rest unless you are very short) and very worn fabric. I travel in Africa and thought that I should start using Ethiopian as a Star Alliance member, but this will be my last trip unless I see that I will be on one of the newer planes. I travel over 100K miles each year, and this has to rank as my poorest experience.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  19 October 2012 by Ned Hopkins (USA)

ADD-GDQ-LLI-ADD on Bombardier Dash 8, one class service. All three flights were on time and full. Inedible sandwiches and the usual drinks were provided. Despite the lack of competition, Ethiopian tries hard and does a good job.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  19 October 2012 by Ned Hopkins (USA)

IAD-ADD on B777, ADD-FCO-IAD on B787, both in "Cloud Nine" (business class). Service, meals and snacks excellent, flights on time (despite a two - instead of a one-hour stop in FCO). The main interest in these flights was the return on a B787 "Dreamliner." The plane did not seem quieter than the B777 and it was no more comfortable. There was no window in Row 4 on other side of the business class cabin. All 30 seats IAD- ADD were occupied, 22 of 24 ADD-IAD.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2012 by N Siebenbuerger (Germany)

Frankfurt to Dar Es Salaam via Adis Ababa. The staff was friendly. I got a vegetarian meal without any problems, although I didn't order it in advance. The entertainment was okay, we had an individual screen for the long flight. I was able to get some sleep, as we we're flying overnight. On our way back, one of our bags didn't arrive in Frankfurt, but it was sent to us directly the next day. I would travel with Air Ethiopia again.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2012 by Bernard van Zijl    (South Africa)

Flying on a 737-700 for 5 hours to SA was not a pleasant experience, 118 people crammed in an air taxi does not resemble a "Spirit of Africa". The worst is however that you have a captive market as there is no other alternative to Addis Ababa - a pity.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  27 April 2012 by Johanna Perinet    (France)

Paris to Zanzibar with a connection in Addis Abada (Economy). Nights flights both ways. Average experience: flights on time, flight attendants quite friendly and helpful, lounge at T1 in Addis doesn't really deserve its name, but free wifi everywhere, T2 is much better, but very crowded. Food onboard was average - nothing special. Equipment onboard quite old and should be renovated. Zanzibar-Addis, had a stop at Dar El Salam for 1hr, the temperature was like being in a sauna. TV screens and the choice of movies very poor.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2012 by Lilly Daly    (USA)

We were booked on a flight that never existed, flights were up to 1.5 hours earlier than times provided by ET, luggage delivered to wrong terminal but nobody would go outside to collect it because it was raining - everything was soaked through. ET and other reps could not say if planes had landed or not at T1 and was laughed at when asked for help. Flight attendants never address people out of their seats, kept shaking me awake on overnight flights for food service even after I put my sleep mask on. Honestly, when issues are brought to the attention of an ET rep, they genuinely don't seem to care. And they really don't care about competition. I will never fly them again.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2012 by J Currie    (China)

Sheba miles redemption Business Class ticket Guangzhou-Bangkok. At the airport told flight was going direct from to Addis to Guangzhou, and I would have to travel 4 days later. I explained this was not acceptable - I had a connecting flight from BKK the following day, and a hotel booking in BKK. After some time, and genuine effort from ground staff, was rebooked on China Southern flight the next morning (in business class). Agree with other comments that ET has no place in Star Alliance. Only worth considering if your plans are very flexible.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  21 April 2012 by Thomas Hecker    (France)

FRA-ADD-MBA return in economy. Mixed experience. FRA-ADD not too bad. Lounge at T1 in ADD barely deserves it name. T2 better, but crowded. Bad Internet access. Flight attendants not very friendly. The tapes that fixed some overhead compartments, curtains etc on 767 were already faded. All flights pretty much on time.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2012 by J Mci    (Hong Kong)

Flew on points from Hong Kong to Bangkok (first leg of their flight to Addis) in business class. The upholstery was threadbare, the console in the armrest was broken, the footrest fell off when I adjusted it and the video monitor was unwatchable. The plane was half empty so there were plenty of flight attendants but after the meal was served they disappeared. How they obtained Star Alliance status is a mystery.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2012 by D Stanley    (UK)

London to Addis and internal flight to Dire Dawa. A mixed experience. The London to Addis return flight was ok. It flew near enough on time. The 767's are a little old and tired, but no worse than on BA. Not much recline on the seats. The staff were good and the food looked reasonable. The local flight was on a fairly modern Bombadier Q400. Both outbound and return flights were delayed.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  5 April 2012 by Bart Goossens    (Ghana)

I flew from Accra to Addis Ababa and on to Brussels. The food wasn't special, but the service was friendly. Overall not bad quality for the price paid. I will fly them again.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2012 by C Olgiati    (UK)

Mombasa-Addis-Heathrow. Like two separate airlines, one excellent, the other best avoided. MBA-ADD in a 737, offered great seats, average snack, charming crew. In ADD, separate van as promised took J class pax to terminal. Cloud 9 lounge is huge but stuffy and overcrowded. Worst boarding procedure I've experienced, all pax at gate before time but staff created chaos. Awful old 767 to London - like stepping back into the 80s. Two seats I tried were broken, no proper IFE, ancient central TV monitor, woken for identical snack as on local Mombasa flight, refused it, unable to understand FA's English. Crew charming but looked slightly embarrassed by it all.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  1 March 2012 by A Dan    (USA)

DC to Addis return. Also took some domestic flights as well. Inflight entertainment was good and leg room not bad given to my height. Food was edible and we had several meals. Crew members were very nice and quick to answer call lights. Our domestic flights were very good compared to domestic flights in the US. Food was good and price very reasonable. ET needs lots of improvements when it comes to customer service.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2012 by D Baldwin    (UAE)

Dubai-Addis Ababa-Johannesburg return. Flights on time. Planes from and to Dubai were modern 777 with excellent inflight entertainment on individual screens. Plane from Addis to Joburg return were old 767 with no AVOD. Food good from Dubai and Johannesburg and poor quality for flights originating in Addis.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2012 by W Sasnett    (USA)

This past week, flying Addis to Washington DC, our 17 hour scheduled flight turned into a 30-hour nightmare. Communication from the cockpit was nearly non-existent. They ran out of drinks and the toilets were filthy. Our delay included 3 hours on the tarmac in Naples (with no exit) and 9 hours on the tarmac in Rome waiting for fuel. At no time during the excessive delay were we offered a chance to exit the plane. We missed our connecting flight(s) home.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  26 January 2012 by G Slade    (UK)

Flew Business Class from Kinshasa to Addis Ababa and onto Bangkok. I have had better quality entertainment and food on Economy Flights of other airlines. The inflight entertainment was a shared TV and showed one awful movie. On my flight to Bangkok, which was an 8 hour flight, we had one awful meal in total and even though we arrived at 8 in the morning we got no breakfast, not even a cup of tea/coffee! It's very unfortunate that I have to return back using the same airline as the ticket has already been purchased, but I will never use them again.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  6 January 2012 by Ryan Knox    (Johannesburg)

Johannesburg to Rome. Cabin staff were friendly. Had a 30 minute transfer time and Ethiopian had procedures in place to make sure passengers made it to the next flight. The seats were comfortable and the food good.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8