Air India Customer Reviews and Air India Passenger Trip Reports

Air India Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Patel Mehul    (UK)

First time flying with Air India from LHR to Delhi. The outbound flight AI 116 was delayed by 1.5 hours due to technical issues on the aircraft - Boeing Dreamliner. Check-in was breeze and staff were professional and friendly. I was lucky enough to get upgraded to business class. Seats and cabin was extremely comfortable and seats reclined flat. Service was good and friendly but it lacked the professionalism experienced on other premium carriers - the younger staff not as diligent as older staff. Food was good although the red wine was exceptional. Inflight not great but still had enough variety to pass the time. Return flight was on Boeing 777 in economy- surprised by the amount of legroom and comfort of seat - better than BA! Again found older staff better than younger staff. Food was disappointing although no worse than BA - I found the pre-landing snack inedible. Also I found the control functions for lights, games and tv were not working. In fact the tv for both my wife and son were not working at all. Luckily I had my tablets and iPad! Overall I found AI no worse than travelling on BA. Service could be improved and some the aircraft facilities need updating but the same can be said for many other flag carriers.

Air India Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Ayisha Kaul    (USA)

On October 31, 2014 I had the unpleasant experience of traveling from JFK to DEL via Air India - the onboard service was horrendous. I was escorted in the wrong direction on boarding, once I eventually got to my seat I waited almost 10 mins for someone to put my jacket away, I eventually had to get up and hand the flight attendant my jacket. Very odd odour from the carpet. Requested a special meal 4 weeks in advance, it was confirmed but not provided. No menu for dinner and breakfast options, flight attendant walked up and down asking veg or non-veg, food presentation was below par. On board movie selection was outdated - seat 8H had mechanical failure, would not recline. Bathroom were dirty 6 hours into the 14 hour flight. Flight attendants provided wrong immigration paperwork causing delay in DEL.

Air India Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Dring Jack    (Australia)

Dreamliner - Melbourne to New Delhi Oct 22nd 2014 and return 1st Nov 2014. Before flying I read the negative reports and I was concerned, but the Dreamliner flights were very good. Only complaint was their movie selections did not work properly. As with all aircraft, the seats are small for a larger person.

Air India Customer review :  12 November 2014 by Kupferman Alain    (Thailand)

After 2 flights with Jet Airways from Bangkok to India in their poor quality business class, my company booked me on Air India, and this was a pleasant surprise. New planes (Dreamliner), good seats fully reclining, friendly and attentive attendants, reasonably good food and average entertainment system, a reason for me now to continue flying on Air India with the bonus of the Star Alliance mileage.

Air India Customer review :  12 November 2014 by Tim Short    (Australia)

London-Delhi-Sydney in Business. Was the cheapest business one-way so I didn't have too high expectations, but I would use them again. London-Delhi full 777 which was well maintained and the seats spacious. Cabin crew were all very pleasant, food nice if you like curry. Seat turns into a reasonable flat bed. Transit at Delhi much less painful than I feared. Lounge pretty ordinary with limited food and drink and leaking showers despite being fairly new. Flight to Sydney (via Melbourne) left an hour late and on 787 Dreamliner which was very new with more spacious seats and cabin less than 1/4 full. Food again decent curries, very friendly service, slept for about 8 hours. Inflight TV hopeless on both flights unless you are into Bollywood so take an iPad. Only negative was that there was a lot of confusion as to whether you need to get off in Melbourne (we did in the end) and a long wait for transit security.

Air India Customer review :  6 November 2014 by M Abdul    (Australia)

I travelled Sydney-Hyderabad via New Delhi on 16th August 2014 and the flight was delayed by 1.5 hours and I missed my connecting flight to Hyderabad. After 2 hours I was given overnight accommodation and booked in the morning flight to Hyderabad. I had the same bizarre experience on my return flight to Sydney via New Delhi on 23/10/2014. I got a phone call a day before the flight that it has been modified and will leave couple of hours early and will go to Delhi via Vishakhapatnam. The flight from Hyderabad was delayed again by an hour due to check-in system being down, which again resulted in me missing my connection to Sydney. There were 8 passengers connecting to Sydney and a notification by the captain was not good enough to save our day. It does not end here, at immigration I had my departure stamp and as I was waiting for my wife and kids passports to get stamped, when the Air India staff informed us that the flight to Sydney is now closed and we can't board the aircraft. It took another 4 hours to do the paperwork to cancel the departure stamp on my passport. Then the routine of going to hotel and take the flight the next day. There is no sense of customer service or sympathy at this inconvenience. I would make every effort never to fly Air India again. The only good thing about the journey was the plane itself. There is ample legroom, the seats are comfortable and the dreamliner 787 windows are dimmed to give night experience. Flight staff service varies person to person - some are good and others indifferent. Overall, do not fly Air India if you don't have the buffer time to offset for these delays.

Air India Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Verma Sachin    (India)

I travelled to Bangkok from Delhi on 12th Oct'14. The flight was delayed by 1.5 hours but we somehow managed that delay. My return flight was on 23rd Oct'14 - the flight was delayed by 5 hours. I had to catch next flight (after 2 hours) from Delhi to Lucknow on the same day. I had to literally beg them to transfer me to another flight. I don't understand, why Air India flights are always delayed and other airlines are always on time. They have got good aircraft but there attitude towards passengers and time management needs to be improved.

Air India Customer review :  31 October 2014 by V Arya    (India)

Peak Season flight-AI 602, last night. Our original flight was the late night 11pm flight, which was delayed by an hour or so. We requested the airline staff at the airport to change us to an earlier flight due to this delay. In spite of the flight being totally packed, they were kind enough to accommodate us on the 9pm flight. As for the flight, it was great, we had premium economy seats, great food, on time, good service and a no-bumps ride. Also not to mention, one of the most engaging pilot, who gave us stats on every single item relating to the flight-it just felt good!

Air India Customer review :  28 October 2014 by D Bhatia    (UK)

Flew in March, April, Sept, Oct 2014 between UK and Delhi. I would recommend AI but carry your own food. Timely. Good flights. Choice and quality of food / drinks unsatisfactory. Cannot explain why food was of such poor quality - stale fruit, poor presentation. Rescheduled my departure from Delhi without a problem.

Air India Customer review :  23 October 2014 by Khundmir Syed    (Australia)

Travelled from Sydney to Delhi on 04 October AI301. Got a notice via email that flight was delayed by 20 minutes but the flight took off 2 hours late hence I missed my connecting flight. Requested an aisle seat they issued me a boarding pass with 15G, when I was about to board the aircraft they gave my seat to another passenger without even consulting me and then they changed my seat to 12E. When I reached the aircraft I found a passenger sitting on 12E. I spoke to cabin staff who said they will look into it which they never did, when I confronted her again she said sit wherever you can. I heard the staff suggesting to 2 passenger with same seat number to keep switching seats during the flight. I requested a special meal which they said they didn't have. When I reached Delhi Airport I was advised that my flight had left and will have to take another flight the next morning. They said they will arrange a hotel, I waited for 2 hours for that to happen and I had to approach staff again to get this done. They took me to something that they called a hotel but it was ugly and under construction. I said I didn't want to stay there and they said we have another property. Entrance to that property was via the kitchen - I didn't even check the room and asked to be dropped back at Delhi Airport. I was made to sign a receipt of 2500Rs for the 30 minute stay at their hotel. All airlines are sometimes late, flights get cancelled and all sorts of things happen but my problem with Air India was that no one had a slightest clue of what they were doing. When I spoke to the manager he said "Do whatever you want" I don't have authority to do anything and there is nothing that can be done tonight. India is a great nation and Air India brings shame to this great nation by associating itself with this great name. Absolutely irresponsible, clueless and have no regard towards basic human feeling. Please don't travel Air India as I will never again.

Air India Customer review :  23 October 2014 by Suhail Shafi    (USA)

New Delhi to Srinagar and back. While in the past I have had reservations about flying Air India, I found their overall performance better than I had previously anticipated and expected. There are two newer perks with flying Air India. The first is the new Terminal 3 at New Delhi which is modern, efficient and clean, a huge improvement over the previous Delhi airport. Flying in an out is a breeze, with the newer terminal offering a large selection of amenities. The second is the membership of Air India with the Star Alliance, making earning frequent flier points possible. The DEL-SXR sector was served by an older A320 - comfortable seats in one class configuration with no special amenities in an older layout. Service consisted of hot beverages with biscuits - not exemplary but adequate for a short flight. Srinagar had been affected by floods at the time of my departure, so the Air India staff graciously allowed us to leave the city three days before our scheduled departure. The plane was a A330 with modern seats offering excellent legroom with tasty refreshments. The aircraft sported a modern looking interior with restrooms under the main cabin - something I had not seen before - with no inflight entertainment, but perfectly adequate for a short flight. Air India may be one of the more underrated airlines out there. Despite its financial difficulties their inflight product has improved markedly over the years, and their Star Alliance membership and modern hub in Delhi makes them attractive to fly with, both on short haul and long haul flights. My expectations were low, but I was more than satisfied and I would consider flying with them again.

Air India Customer review :  13 October 2014 by Purna Ananth    (India)

AI 667/668 between BOM-TRV-BOM. A319. Check-in quick and efficient. Flights clean and comfortable. On time one way, slightly delayed the other. Good breakfast service, cabin crew helpful. Quickly disembarked both times. No complaints. Ticket was about 35% cheaper than the nearest competitor.

Air India Customer review :  13 October 2014 by Kabir Kapoor    (India)

I travel Air India 3-4 times a year. This time I was travelling from Delhi (DEL) to Kochi (KOX) on an A320, the seats were not comfortable at all. The TV on the flight was not working. The food was horrible.

Air India Customer review :  13 October 2014 by Samuel Sherine    (India)

The Dreamliner flight from Sydney to Delhi was a disappointment. 1) Seats were very cramped. Not adequate leg space for such a long flight. 2) Toilets were dirty and toilet tissues were not replaced. 3) The entire economy seating area smelt. 4) A snack and a drink was very much needed before landing. Just two meals for a 13 hour flight was not adequate. 5) Fruit juice and diet drinks were not available after the first meal service. 6) A wet wipe or steamed towel should have been provided at the end of such along flight. We had to disembark even without being able to freshen up. Definitely not up to international standards.

Air India Customer review :  13 October 2014 by M Hay    (Australia)

CDG-SYD (via DEL and MEL). Check-in was a mess at CDG - told to leave executive line and wait to the side - then told to get back in to executive class line after waiting for several minutes to the side. AI use Cathay lounge for this flight at terminal 2C and its really nice. 787 Dreamliner for both legs. My overall impression is that this plane is massively over hyped from a customer aspect anyway - there is really nothing special about this plane - the windows are the most noticeable difference- and while this is nice during the couple of minutes during taking off and landing - you don't notice it for the rest of the flight. Everything is plastic on this plane - the toilet door feels like an ice cream container lid. The seat is comfortable in bed mode, it is wide and well padded - but there is no Z-mode for relaxation - you can put the backrest back and the footrest up but the seat remains flat at all times - its not really that comfortable for relaxing/watching TV. A sat in cushion and a larger cotton pillow are provided - which are very comfortable in addition to a duvet and a thin blanket - which makes a great sleeping experience. IFE screen is large and high definition - there is a reasonable choice of (both Indian and Western) movies and television shows - but not quite enough to stretch out for the 12 hour flight. Food was variable. No menus provided - options were stated by staff at the time of meal service. Out of CDG the supper was lobster with champagne sauce - it was dry and tough - but definitely still lobster which is great in business class. Otherwise all the other meals were curry and sandwiches were offered on the Melbourne to Sydney leg - really this should be a proper breakfast. An announcement was made that no alcohol could be served on the domestic leg from MEL to SYD - what they actually mean is no duty free alcohol can be served - its pretty cheap to stop serving alcohol just because you have to pay the duty on it. Almost all passengers immediately removed their shoes and socks immediately upon boarding - so be prepared for the feet. The staff are a mixed bunch - some are fantastic - friendly, smiling, communicative and anticipating requests - these staff were all female. Unfortunately the male staff were some of the most surly, resentful and unpleasant people I have ever encountered in a business class cabin - attendant call button was met with a "yes" and a glare from these men. The lounge at Delhi was interesting - I was there at from 9-12 am, this is a big lounge with many comfortable chairs, but limited food and drink options. Showers were available. Wifi was difficult to access, staff seemed disinterested and resentful of requests for assistance - there is clearly no customer service mentality about this place. Overall this was a very average experience and certainly the worst business class flight I have ever taken - however the price was very reasonable and I would consider booking it again and I would cautiously recommend Air India.

Air India Customer review :  13 October 2014 by Jessica Nicholas    (India)

Trying to get to Delhi from Bombay for a 6pm wedding. Our 1pm flight - cancelled till 2.30pm. 2.30pm flight - told at counter it was over-booked and is now full. The next available flight is at 5pm - delayed till 5.20pm without prior notice. 5.45pm - begin takeoff procedures. 5.55pm - electrical failure. Plane comes to a standstill. Lights and AC continue to be switched on and off. 6pm - captain announces "there has been an electrical failure and out technical team is on their way to trouble-shoot". No further explanation offered. No beverages offered. If you got up to ask for water, they did oblige by giving you one small glass. 6.45pm - herded like animals and packed like sardines onto a stationary bus on the tarmac. When asked what was happening and where we were going, we were told "nowhere. you can not stand on the tarmac so you must sit on the bus and wait while we do final checks onboard. The buses were over-packed and we were locked inside while staff and drivers disappeared. 7.15pm - finally start to re-board passengers. We decide not to get back onto an aircraft that has electrical failures. We demanded our luggage and a full refund. The ground staff obliged however sent us wondering around the airport, unescorted, in search of the duty manager. This whole process took until 8pm. After 7 hours, all delays and cancellations, sitting around the airport, on the plane, on buses, and being spoken to in a patronising manner by everyone from ground staff to on-flight staff, we did not end up flying to Delhi and we have missed our friends wedding. I will never, fly with or recommend Air India.

Air India Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Nirmal Sasilatha    (India)

Traveled on New Delhi to Dubai sector, AI 995 on brand new B787 Dreamliner. Check in was easy and hassle free. Boarding too went smoothly. Flight departed 10 minutes early. Aircraft was brand new, fresh. Cabin was spacious and seating arrangement was a comfortable 3-3-3 layout. Contrary to expectation the seat width was not wide enough and there was a general discomfort in seating. Inflight entertainment was excellent with a wide range of movies and shows. There were 5 regional movies available in my native language, an experience never found in any other flights. Food as usual was very good though the crew were asking passengers whether they are strict vegetarians as they were running out of veg meals due many passengers pre ordered veg meals. Landed 20 minutes before scheduled arrival time. The overall travel experience was excellent and B787 Dreamliner is one perfect aircraft to fly.

Air India Customer review :  2 October 2014 by V Arya    (India)

Booked just a day early on AI to take the very early morning flight from DEL to MUM last week. Very reasonable fare (even for last min), great aircraft 787 and good service.

Air India Customer review :  2 October 2014 by V Arya    (India)

Took a late night flight on AI from DEL to BOM recently. Aircraft was a 321 and the flight was over booked. Yet, service was excellent, great food. The aircraft was in decent condition. Flight slightly bumpy but that can be blamed on the rains around Mumbai.

Air India Customer review :  2 October 2014 by A Patel    (USA)

Flying to the Maldives via Mumbai from Ahmedabad on Sept 14th. Checked in and were told flight was on time. We were to have a 5 hour break in Mumbai, giving us plenty of time to catch connection on Sri Lanka Airways. The flight never arrived and was 4 hours late taking off, although AI personnel insisting we would make our connection. Never did, no help from AI personnel in Mumbai, and worst experience on a flight, ended up in transit at the airport for over 26 hours.

Air India Customer review :  23 September 2014 by R Priestley    (Australia)

I was excited to be travelling on Air India's new 'Dreamliner' from Sydney to Delhi yesterday. The experience fell well short of my expectations. I endeavoured to do on-line check-in, but it was not available, so I phoned and requested an aisle set. That request was never registered, but the check-in assistant in Sydney gave me an exit row seat, which I was very happy with. On the flight, the entertainment system for my seat, 30C was not working. I initially complained, but I was dismissed by the first flight attendant and told I would need to wait for it to cut in. After an hour of waiting, I approached another flight attendant who assured me he would re-set the system. Following another few failed attempts, I was assured that they would register the fact that it wasn't working and that it would fixed for the next passenger. Not sure how that helped me! When it came time for meal- time, the flight attendant asked me to pull out my tray and was irritated when I couldn't. The tray was actually broken. She did endeavour to fix it, but it remained a problem throughout the flight. Unfortunately, the entertainment system appears to control the overhead lighting as well. The result was that I had no access to movies, music or reading light for the full flight, which is 12 hrs 30 minutes, that's a long time to sit in the dark. There was no apology or understanding from staff. The food was very basic, with little variety, there was minimal genuine service on the flight. Staff seemed to vanish between meals and seemed irritated when a passenger asked for something. If anything, I found some of the staff quite rude. This was a very full flight, I think staff need to pay some attention to the toilets during the trip. At one stage, one of the toilet basins was clogged and another passenger complained to staff. I do a lot of travel and this is the worst flights I have taken. I would endeavour never to fly Air India again, but from Sydney to Delhi there is very little choice of operators. Hopefully, Air India will develop a true sense of service before my next trip.

Air India Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Yadav Jagriti    (India)

August 2014 - Flew the Dreamliner from Paris to Delhi. The departure was on-time and arrival in Delhi was 20 minutes before time. The aircraft looked new, seats were comfortable, cabin crew was efficient and had nice smiles on their faces (much more welcoming than many other airlines in my experience). Food was good, in-flight entertainment offered a lot of choice although it was slightly heavier in terms of Bollywood stuff. Decent sized blankets in this era of cost-saving with most other airlines offering half-sized blankets! Baggage arrived on the belt in Delhi minutes after landing. All in all, a very positive experience and I'll definitely fly Air India again.

Air India Customer review :  15 September 2014 by S Ray    (USA)

JFK-DEL on 3 Aug and BOM-JFK on 23 Aug. Cabin crew disappear during the night. On other airlines they walk through the cabin a few times with glasses of water for passengers. Not on AI. I discovered that they put out cookies, sandwiches and soft drinks for passengers in one of the galleys but there was no announcement made. No drinks were offered on the BOM-JFK flight.

Air India Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Mita Majumdar    (USA)

Newark to Calcutta and back. I figured there is a reason why the tickets were cheaper than other airlines. After all you get what you pay for. But I have to admit after traveling to Calcutta and coming back to the US that I am quite satisfied with the service offered by Air India. Staff were courteous, professional, helpful and food was excellent. The only complaint I have is the seat quality, the seats are extremely uncomfortable, almost felt like I was sitting on a piece of wood during the lengthier legs of the flight (Newark to Mumbai, Mumbai to Newark). Seat quality is very important especially for a 16 hour duration flight. Surprisingly, the seats were roomier and a bit more comfortable on the flight from Mumbai to Calcutta. I wish it worked the other way round. Air India is known for delays but no complaints there either, in fact we arrived early from Mumbai from Newark.

Air India Customer review :  2 September 2014 by T James    (UK)

DEL to GOI via BOM. Tatty old A321 that looked liked it hadn't been properly clean since being brought into service 20 years ago. Washroom basin filthy with brown stains everywhere. Surly crew who were mannerless. Cramped, uncomfortable seats. No alcohol or soft drinks available on either legs. Sat on plane at Mumbai whilst plane serviced for 40 minutes - terribly unprofessional ground crew cleaning the plane around you.

Air India Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Sharma Soumya    (India)

We were on flight from BLR-BOM-JDH. The flight was on-time, entertainment systems were working properly, the crew was polite, lunch was satisfactory. Aircraft A319 seemed new and comfortable.

Air India Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Ramesh Muthukumar    (USA)

Flew from Chicago to Delhi, the leg room in the airplane was good, but its a poorly maintained aircraft. The entire plane was dirty. One of the toilets were not working. The snacks were not served, you had to walk to the back of the aircraft to find a sandwich and a drink. Horrible experience.

Air India Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Ashutosh Garg    (India)

Delhi-Kolkata-Delhi. Delhi-Kolkata (CCU) on Airbus A321. Kolkata-Delhi on Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. Both flights were on time and aircraft's were considerably clean. Check in (both times) took hardly 5 minutes. IFE on A321 was not good but B787 had great collection of movies and music, however most of earphones provided were broken (carry your own earphone). Food was a complete let down on both flights and staff did little to make your journey better. Overall, for 2 hour flights, Air India is a good option given its price. Also, Air India and Jet Airways operate from Terminal 3 in Delhi, which makes airport experience slightly better than other domestic airlines.

Air India Customer review :  14 August 2014 by Patel Keyur    (USA)

EWR-BOM-AMD. Flight was supposed to depart on 3 July 2014, I flew on 5th July. Everything went well until take off, there was a problem with the air-conditioning, which was not resolved at all. After 4.5 hours we were told to get off the plane. After getting our baggage we were told to stand in a queue for 40 mins to get hotel vouchers and after getting the voucher I was waited for the hotel transportation for 3 hours. We were 54 passengers and there was only 1 bus which could carry 34 passengers. Back to the airport for 11 am next day, told to stand in line for another flight which was at 4 pm on 4 July 2014. After standing in line for 4 hours I was told the flight was full and another was scheduled for 8. Boarded the flight and after 2 hrs we were told that there was problem with the engine and it took them another 4 hours to decide that we had to get off the plane, again another motel was given. Spoke to a manager of Air India and they got me on 5th July's, AI 190, EWR-BOM-AMD flight. Finally on 5th July I arrived home 72 hours late. I have decided not to fly Air India in the future.

Air India Customer review :  14 August 2014 by Joy Kevin    (Canada)

Avoid at all costs! Terrible experience with Air India. They ran out of non veg meals On my flight from Chicago to Delhi and then again from Delhi to Cochin. On the return trip, the Cochin to Mumbai flight was delayed 2 hours, causing us to miss the Mumbai to Newark flight. Waited in Mumbai for over 3 hours while their clueless officials tried to get us back to Toronto somehow. After telling us of a few possible flights for the next day, even coming close to booking us, they finally found a flight via Istanbul. No upgrades of any sort, not even an apology. Never again will I travel with Air India!

Air India Customer review :  6 August 2014 by G Singh    (USA)

We flew JFK-DEL-JFK in May 2014 with a 10 month old infant. Partial journey from JFK to DEL was ok, however on DEL-JFK route, AI ground staff were horrible. Although an infant bassinet was requested from the get-go and we were at the terminal 3 hours before boarding, staff at DEL Airport were rude and flatly answered no bassinets available. On duty staff didn't know who to escalate issue to find out an answer, they directed us from counter to counter. 90 minutes trying to get a bassinet with no success. Surprisingly, when we entered the plane and found that there were 8 bassinet locations and only 2 bassinets were hooked up and remaining bassinet assigned seats were allotted to regular people, families with no kids. We were shocked and asked a few people occupying those seats to exchange with us but no one would. We had a hard time travelling for those 15 hours with our infant child. We found at least 2 other kids facing the similar dilemma and going through the sufferings due to incompetent ground staff.

Air India Customer review :  6 August 2014 by George Ayrish    (USA)

Flying Air India with my 82 year old mother and 13 year old daughter was one of the worst decisions I have ever made. Although, I had confirmed seats, at JFK, I was told that the plane only had the capacity to take 200 out of the 380 passengers. After complete chaos and AI employees who had no clue on how to control the crowd or make a decision, we were, that night, put on a flight to Istanbul on Turkish Airlines and from there to Bombay with the promise that Air India representative would meet us at the gate in Bombay and help me with claiming my luggage since it was left in New York with Air India, transportation to the domestic airport, and tickets to my final destination. No one met me at Bombay, but the worst part was they refused to provide any assistance. The supervisor at the baggage claim told me in no uncertain terms, "we will not help you." I had to file a claim for my luggage with Turkish although I never checked my luggage with them. We were so distressed and tired, but not one Air India representative showed any concern, and they refused to let us in the shuttle to domestic airport. The Air India representative at the transit gate told me that I could spend the entire day trying to talk to someone high up in AI or get a taxi to the domestic airport. I reached Bombay at 4.30 am, and finally got the evening flight to Kochi, which then was turned around half way and returned to Bombay for technical reasons. The funny thing is no one in India seemed very surprised at our experience flying with Air India. Customer service seems to be the last thing on the minds with Air India. My mother still has not recuperated from her travel and I am never traveling Air India again.

Air India Customer review :  30 July 2014 by D Beard    (Australia)

Flew the Dreamliner from Singapore to Frankfurt via Delhi. They had their new (plated) catering on board but still the choice and quality disappointing and the service average, which is a shame as Indian food can be outstanding, even the curry option was very disappointing. The cabin crew in business, on whole, do not seem comfortable or confident and are usually older. I mention the age issue only because I think that they have been used to a different type of service which no longer is the standard for business class. I appears that the business cabin crew are chosen on seniority and Air India needs to change this and use younger crew who can bring a new attitude and freshness to the service. Having said that the seat for sleeping was excellent with nice large pillows and good quality cotton quilts. The Dreamliner definitely delivers a much better cabin comfort and had a major affect on jet lag. We had 1.5 hr scheduled transit in Delhi which was a worry, we ended up with 60 mins to complete the transfer which we did ok as we had already been issued boarding passes in Singapore. Having said that, value for money is excellent. I know many have disliked the decor and I have to agree that it doesn't come up to Cathay's but its ok. If they can just up their game with cabin crew and food Air India could become a great airline.

Air India Customer review :  14 July 2014 by S Darren    (Australia)

MEL-LHR-MEL in June. Aircraft: Very impressed with the 787 (Dreamliner) - leg room and the seat pitch is very good and comfortable, the cabin environment is nice. Food: curry was the only option and catered for Indian passengers. Very limited option (no alternatives). No child's meal provided, requested at the time of booking and it was not available (so if you are travelling with children please take your own food). Refreshments only served with meals, not provided in any other times considering the long flights on all the sector. Entertainment: Is mainly aimed at Indian audiences, very limited entertainment and games for kids (suggest taking a tablet/DS loaded with your favourite movies or games to keep them occupied). The senior management need more focus to improve the standard and efficiency, as Air India has joined star alliance they need to improve on following to be par with other major airlines and to attract more passengers with different nationalities. Cabin crew must improve their customer service. More variety of food option for all ages especially for children. Refreshments are served on regular basis on long flights. Noted that toilets are not cleaned during the long flight and some are unusable due to cleanliness. It appears that cabin crews not checking are more interested in resting in their pods for majority of the flights. Improvement on on-time performance as our both outbound and inbound flights are delayed. Surely would like to fly once again and hope the service will improve with joining with star alliance and management focus to turnaround the airline.

Air India Customer review :  11 July 2014 by Ivy Deb    (India)

My husband and I took Air India from Kolkata to Singapore. Our domestic flight was good but the international flight was horrible. We were given different seats, no blankets were provided and the food was cold and very small in quantity. Even the inflight entertainment was zero as nothing was working in order. Whole journey we suffered a lot.

Air India Customer review :  9 July 2014 by R Singh    (India)

Delhi-Mumbai-Jamnagar and back during Jun 2014. Poor Management. The seats booked online are often changed without any information and family members are split up. Non-Veg food finishes within first 2-3 rows (either side). Food quality is poor. Inflight entertainment system does not work.

Air India Customer review :  7 July 2014 by L Bendle    (Australia)

Overall the service on the flight was inline with other international carriers. The food was acceptable, curry was the only option, and I suggest that all passengers opt for the "veg" option. Entertainment is mainly aimed at Indian audiences, and I expected and agree with this. I suggest taking a tablet loaded with your favourite movies or shows - but I would do this on any airline. The 787 is by far much more comfortable that the 777. Very impressed with the 787 (Dreamliner) - leg room is normal, the seat pitch is incredible, the cabin environment is lovely and the atmospheric conditions are noticeably better on the 787. (I didn't think this after the outbound journey, which consisted of two 787 sectors. The return journey was a 777 sector followed by a 787 sector, this is when you notice how great the 787 really is). Transit via Delhi: Information around this process is extremely hard to find on the internet, with mixed reviews on sites such as this. If you are an international transiting passenger (i.e. you have landed in Delhi, and are connecting with another Air India flight within 24 hours) then you do not need a visa so long as you are not exceeding 24 hours and are not leaving the terminal. There are two options inside the terminal for accommodation. I have done both. Eaton Smart Hotel - transit hotel - This is the option for a transit greater than 4 hours. If you stay here you can also leave the hotel and access any facilities in the terminal - just keep you passport and boarding card with you. Sams Pods - Ideal for less than 4 hours. $10US/ hour. You have access to a bed, TV and desk in a small pod in the terminal building. No access to wash facilities other than those provided in the terminal. If you have a flight with Air India and have a long transit, it would be well worth you questioning your ability to get a hotel paid for by the airline. I paid for mine, as advised for by my flight centre agent. All other passengers on my flight managed to get this included in their ticket free of charge. If you pay for it you are looking at $190AUD.

Air India Customer review :  7 July 2014 by C Bhandari    (India)

I boarded Dreamliner AI 130, LHR-BOM on 1st July 2014. The flight was to leave at 13.30 hrs. Our plane was delayed due to a technical fault. We were served food around 14.30hrs, but deplaned around 18.00hrs. We were taken back through immigration and left to stand in the exit lobby for 3 hours. We were bussed to Heston Hotel, but no accommodation was available. After waiting outside for over an hour we were bussed to accommodation in Bentley Hotel, reaching well past midnight. No meal provided. Next day (July 2nd) we were bussed after breakfast to Heston Hotel for lunch, then to the original departure lounge at LHR. Flight was scheduled for 14.30. Then 16.00hrs. At 19.00hrs we were given meal vouchers. Finally we boarded after 22.00hrs. The flight took off at 11.30 hrs, 31 hours late. At no time was information given voluntarily. Air India agents mostly left it to LHR staff to take care of angry passengers. No provision was made for passenger comfort, particularly families with small children, and the elderly. Passengers were made to stand for hours in areas where there was little or no seating. No effort was made to provide meals at reasonable intervals. We had to ask for vouchers. Passengers were not informed about the plan of action, resulting in frayed tempers. Our luggage was not handed over to us. Aisle seat 11c restricts free passage quite severely. Passengers occupying this seat are trodden on and bumped by boarding/disembarking passengers. Except for the centre block row 11 has nowhere to stow small belongings, not even under the seat. Many passengers did not know how to flush the toilets, resulting in filthy conditions. Instructions must be given along with the safety check. Buttons operating screen, light, etc on the inside of the armrest can be accidentally knocked.

Air India Customer review :  1 July 2014 by Siddharth Malhotra    (India)

Flew on the brand new Boeing 787 Dreamliner to Amritsar from Delhi. Fascinating experience. The plane met all my expectations with beautifully designed cabin and lighting. The meal was also served despite being a 45 minutes journey. Surely would like to fly one again.

Air India Customer review :  1 July 2014 by S Drapaku    (USA)

Traveled from NY (JFK) to DEL (IGI) in May 2014. The ticket was slightly more expensive than other airlines but the flight was half empty. The plane was a Boeing 777-300ER with a very nice cabin and a 3-3-3 configuration (unlike 3-4-3 on most other airlines). I requested the air hostess to move me from the front row to some empty seats behind and she happily did so. I was in the center aisle and both seats besides me were empty, I could sleep (laid on 3 seats) all the way through without any disturbance. The food was excellent, staff was good and the in- flight entertainment was nice (not the best but you will like it esp. if you are an Indian). Flight was on time. I would certainly recommend Air India it esp for the JFK-DEL route.

Air India Customer review :  1 July 2014 by S Krish    (Canada)

I travelled on Air India from London(LHR) to Chennai via Bombay. The first leg was a brand new 787, it is great product, seating 3-3-3 and much better leg room then any other airline. I am tall 6.2 ft still I find very comfortable seating. On board we had 3 servings, one drinks service with beer wine and spirits, one good full meal with choice of Chicken, fish or veg options and one snack before landing. For 8 an hours flight - lots of food. Good quality food and we enjoyed it and there were desserts too! Inflight entertainment was good with choice of new Hollywood and Bollywood movies, TV shows, sports and business section - enough to keep us busy for 8 hours. FA's were good, lots of smiles and caring for kids and elders. Toilets were kept clean all the time. Flight landed in Bombay full 30 minutes ahead of schedule. The second leg was an A319 again good product, hot breakfast served with choice of either Scrambled eggs and potato or South Indian Veg. We all enjoyed the breakfast. Air India has improved a lot and now stands on par with other international airlines. I will fly again and recommend fully.

Air India Customer review :  19 June 2014 by Preet Mohan Singh    (India)

5th June, flight AI 302 and returned on 16th June, flight AI 301. Traveled to Sydney from Delhi and back on Dreamliner, very convenient timings, excellent staff service. Nothing better than a direct flight, will travel again on Air India to international destinations.

Air India Customer review :  10 June 2014 by R Sirkar    (India)

Flew BOM-GOI and back (AI 661 and 662). Outbound: A321- Check-in smooth, flight was delayed by 30 mins due to airport congestion, was kept informed by the cockpit crew with regular updates. Crew were attentive, friendly and responsive - although only peanuts, juice and water was served. Inbound: A321 - Check in smooth, flight was delayed by 20 mins and received the revised time SMS well in time, Flight took off as per revised schedule, again crew was attentive, friendly and responsive, although same thing was served for snacks. Overall a good experience and would recommend.

Air India Customer review :  10 June 2014 by M Sidhu    (UK)

I flew from Amritsar to London via Delhi on flight AI115. Early morning departure from Amritsar with 2 hour stop over in Delhi then it was 7am when we took off from Delhi. The flight to Delhi was 50 mins on an airbus A321. Was given juice and a snack. No complaints. On the international leg, it was a Boeing 787 Dreamliner. The flight was brilliant. I cant complain. The leg room was great (I flew economy). Even when the person in front reclines their seat, it isn't uncomfortable. The IFE was excellent. Fast and easy to use. Plenty of movies to choose from, mainly Bollywood with a few regional choices too. Maybe not so great on the Hollywood selection. The breakfast wasn't the greatest but for airline standards it was ok. Later in the flight lunch was served. It was lovely. I had the non veg option. It was chicken, rice and also saag. It was probably one of the best airline meals I've had. The crew were well presented and hospitable. The flight was ahead of schedule too. Plane was spotless. I would definitely recommend Air India.

Air India Customer review :  2 June 2014 by A Mehta    (India)

Travelled by AI to HYD. Aircraft was VT-SCB in the Indian livery. Plus points: Check in was a breeze. Flight departed on time. Minus points: Aircraft was unclean. Crumbs on the tray table, the side panels looked as if the last time they had been cleaned was during the Airbus delivery. All that pax were given was 2 cheap pieces of biscuit. The spring rod from the seat pocket was broken and was poking my knee on for the entire flight. For a full flight, I did not have an option to change my seat. Never again with Air India.

Air India Customer review :  2 June 2014 by Praditha Narayan    (India)

The service offered was very poor. There was no entertainment at all. I travelled from Hyderabad to Delhi. The duration of flight is two hours. Service was unavailable during the entire journey. The food was not at all good.

Air India Customer review :  2 June 2014 by Dave Kumar    (UK)

Took a Heathrow - Delhi - Heathrow flight but return flight was horrible. It was an old plane with entertainment system broken. Cabin crew restarted the entertainment system 3 time with not affect. The remote was broken and could not switch on overhead light to read. Since the flight was full, could not accommodate a different seat. Food was tasteless.

Air India Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Corey Mankink    (UK)

It was a BHX-DEL-ATQ return flight on the Boeing 787-8. I had read the comments thinking it was horrible but it turned out to be the opposite! An ordinary Meat Curry with Saag Aloo and Rice! Entertainment was impressive- Bollywood and a few Hollywood movies! A steward didn't give my wife a vegetarian meal! She gave her a Chicken Meal, nevertheless another steward came and gave her a veg meal so it was okay!

Air India Customer review :  27 May 2014 by V Anjali    (India)

Bangkok to Mumbai. We were travelling along with family. Horrible flight. Travelling period was 4 hours 30 min. Entertainment system was not working at all. Staff on the board was not cooperative. It was a horrible experience.

Air India Customer review :  22 May 2014 by John Roder    (Australia)

Udaipur to New Delhi. The flight left 30 minutes early - I hope everyone was on board. The flight attendant's were vey good but we did not eat the meal. The other 6 business class passengers who were Indian asked what the meal was, and would not eat it. Overall the flight was comfortable and we would fly Air India domestically again.

Air India Customer review :  20 May 2014 by Jay Sitlani    (USA)

Bom-Jaipur-Bom on A319. I was surprised to receive breakfast outbound and snack inbound. There was no choice, and they only served tea/coffee/water as beverages, but what they served was pretty good. The cabin attendants were pleasant, legroom was good. There was seatback IFE, but it appeared to only have one channel playing some Bollywood farce. Both flights were quite good for a short domestic hop.

Air India Customer review :  16 May 2014 by J Lall    (UK)

Travelled 11th April 2014, was very disappointed with the delay we faced at LHR, 6 hours delay due to technical problems with the new dreamliner 787. Not happy with leg space, I was expecting something a bit more sophisticated, not nice experience for those who are broad and tall. Had problems with entertainment system on the way to DEL and on the way back to LHR, crew were friendly. Sorry Air India, but first and last.

Air India Customer review :  16 May 2014 by Darayus Patva    (Australia)

BOM-DEL-SYD, we reach domestic airport by 7 am to beat Mumbai traffic to catch our 10 am flight, since we were FFM there is seperate queue at domestic airport and queue was small and quick, The check in staff was not all courteous. We requested in case we can be pushed up on earlier flight to Delhi for which he asked us to pay extra for changes so we continue with our original booking. Flight boarding from Mumbai was slow and eventually took off 50 minutes late and hence reach Delhi at 12.45 for our connection flight to Sydney departing at 13.25. DEL staff were prompt to receive us and took us to transfer desk and immigration and finally get our security clear, and put us on our flight at such a short transit time. due to delay we could not enjoy new Delhi airport. Flight from Delhi departed on time, flight was light, so staff made announcement for passenger to move and spread out in aircraft if they wish and occupy empty rows, good meal, courteous staff, cabin was clean, few toilets were smelly - wish they do something to keep them clean on long flight, decent entertainment.

Air India Customer review :  16 May 2014 by B Gold    (Australia)

Melbourne to Delhi. The new Dreamliner 788 is a great plane, a lot quieter, more room to move about, cleaner air and large windows. Left and arrived early. Business class half empty so the service was very good, not quite as good as the Asian airlines but more than satisfactory. Seat comfort was fine and the lay flat bed made sleeping easy. The entertainment was good, watched 2 movies in English. Ordered special food which was my mistake and cannot blame the airline for the disappointing food. The snack between meals (smoked salmon) was most enjoyable. The extras included a nice travel suit, better than Qantas pyjamas, duvet and pillows were comfortable and travel socks and eye masks supplied. Second leg Delhi to London, plane, service and entertainment as good as the first flight. Food. Gave up on my special meals and ordered from the menu. Breakfast (Poached eggs) was fine and the dinner (Supreme of chicken) served just prior to arrival as good as any meal I have had on a plane. Fresh fruit to finish. Extras - none which for a 9 hour plus flight was surprising, bnot even travel socks.

Air India Customer review :  13 May 2014 by Sam Skariah    (India)

Short haul flight from Trivandrum to Chennai. Pleasantly surprised by the condition of the aircraft which was a new one. The crew were efficient and friendly. The flight was on time and there were no time discrepancies on arrival either. Since it was a short haul flight, snacks were offered. There is always room for improvement like the inflight entertainment. Overall I was pleased and would definitely consider flying Air India again.

Air India Customer review :  12 May 2014 by S Menon    (India)

Mumbai - Jeddah and back. The flight to Jeddah was a hopping service from Mumbai to Hyderabad and onto Jeddah. Aircraft was an old 747-400 piloted by an all women cockpit crew. Aircraft though old was neatly maintained. Served with a light snack on the Mumbai-Hyderabad sector and a full meal on the Hyderabad-Jeddah sector. Cabin crew curt but efficient. Decent selection of in-flight entertainment though some of the touchscreens were not working. Return was a direct flight to Mumbai. Aircraft was a 777-300. Neatly maintained. Efficient cabin crew. There was a slight delay in take -off due to a temporary runway closure at Jeddah airport but the captain was prompt to keep the passengers informed of the status. Decent in-flight entertainment system and a good hot dinner served. Air India looks to be improving its quality of service by the day.

Air India Customer review :  11 May 2014 by C Chakraborty    (UK)

Flew in March 2014, LHR-CCU-LHR via Delhi. Outbound flight was Dreamliner, new flight and good food/drinks, service was excellent. DEL-CCU was also good as well. On my way back faced little bit of hassle at CCU airport re baggage x-ray, CCU-DEL service was good but were not satisfied with DEL-LHR leg, no choice of drinks and also no wine, video entertainment was not working properly, arrived London Heathrow ahead of time though. Service should be improved on DEL-LHR sector.

Air India Customer review :  5 May 2014 by Rajiv Krishnamurthy    (India)

My mother left on AI 43, MAA-DEL connecting AI 101, DEL-JFK on May 2 2014. Flight was slightly delayed from Chennai. She is 82 years of age and had a broken vertebra 6 months back and after my trip to SYD/MEL last Oct-Nov I decided that the transit is pretty good at Delhi and my mother could go unaccompanied in Business Class. The flight arrived 45 mins ahead of schedule at JFK and being a passenger in a wheelchair she was absolutely thrilled with the care the AI staff bestowed on her. The only issue I faced was, getting a wheelchair at Chennai airport as the AI counter was closed and I was not allowed inside - but security staff were kind enough to offer a seat for my mother and advised me to get an AI staff and fetch a wheelchair. My mother informs me that the connection in Delhi (to AI 101) was very smooth and she was well taken care of. She was full of praise for the cabin staff. AI has definitely turned over a new leaf and there has been a tremendous improvement in their attitude as well as service - their hub at T3 Delhi is much better than what prevailed in Mumbai and the ground staff are wonderful at Delhi!

Air India Customer review :  2 May 2014 by Siddharth Malhotra    (India)

Flew DEL-MUM-DEL. Flight was on time and food was excellent. The IFE was satisfactory. They need to improve on that. Overall experience was good. Highly recommended.

Air India Customer review :  1 May 2014 by Vatsal Arya    (India)

AI310, BOM-DEL. Packed flight just ahead of the Holi Holidays but great on boarding and inflight service. On time departure and on time arrival.

Air India Customer review :  1 May 2014 by Sandesh Kshatriya    (Thailand)

AI330, 30 April, BOM-BKK, A321, Seat: 30A (Window). Check-in gain smooth and efficient, agents urgently need to be trained to smile. Boarding was good, the buses were clean, not smelly and new. I use Air India for great legroom (better than TG) on all of their flights so this was again good. Inflight entertainment average, 1 Hollywood, 1 Bollywood, 1 Punjabi, 1 Comedy, 1 Music channel, fair for a 4 hour overnight flight. I've flown this flight many times and as usual I ordered VLML (Vegetarian Lacto-Ovo meal) and like every time on this flight, it has never been offered. (Standard meal for as long as I can remember on this flight is (Vegetarian: 3 grilled Paneer cubes, 1 Veggie puff and 2 Kachori balls). (Non Vegetarian: 3 Grilled Chicken cubes, 1 Chicken puff and 2 Kachori balls). The crew ranged in age, I must again commend them for their teamwork and efforts, they were very professional, courteous and service minded. Baggage delivered on time, even though parked on a remote bay. Overall a great flight - obviously will fly them again.

Air India Customer review :  1 May 2014 by Sandesh Kshatriya    (Thailand)

AI331, 25 April, BKK-BOM, A321, Seat:9F (Exit Window). Check-in was Smooth and efficient, agents in BKK had smiles on their faces. Boarding was decent and organised. Seat with obviously great legroom (Exit window). Inflight entertainment crashed in the first 15 minutes of being airborne. I ordered a VOML (Vegetarian Oriental meal) less than 6 hrs prior to departure but my surprise it was offered to me on the plane. I must commend the Crew who make a huge effort to satisfy passengers on the plane, since most of them are first time flyers and seeing Drinks/Food being free they want to extract the most they can. Loved the good sleep. Warning - Seat row * has a layout of 2x2 against the standard of 3x3, these seats do not recline at all (Staff at the check-in warn you of this as well, which is great).

Air India Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Purna Ananth    (India)

AI 639, BOM-BLR and AI 610, BLR-BOM: Major plus points are 1) Better legroom, 2) Hot meal, and 3) Inflight entertainment (for what it is worth) - at approximately the same price as LCC's. Staff were efficient, and some even smiled. Flight was late out of BOM, informed by SMS 2 hrs in advance (which is not much help). Both flights were light, so plenty of space, quick service and not much crowd around the loo. Baggage appeared in decent time. So all in all not a bad option.

Air India Customer review :  24 April 2014 by Ian Williamson    (UK)

We flew from Bhopal to Delhi. Our international flight had a baggage limit of 25 kg, however the limit on this flight was 15 kg. We were therefore way over the limit. We were taken away to a small room and made to feel like criminals. We had to pay a significant fine and were ignored when we tried to explain our situation. The whole situation was handled very unprofessionally and as a result we will certainly not use Air India in the future.

Air India Customer review :  23 April 2014 by M Weil    (France)

Paris CDG to Kathmandu via Delhi and back. All flights on schedule. Comfortable planes (Dreamliner). Inflight entertainment good. Very good service at Delhi airport: my husband had left his coat on the plane, a single inquiry and the coat was delivered to us.

Air India Customer review :  22 April 2014 by G Puri    (Bahrain)

Flew from Bahrain-New Delhi. Excellent flight, service has improved drastically since when I last flew. Clean, new aircraft with comfortable seats. Cabin crew were polite and enthusiastic. Good selection of beverages and food (Indian options only) was delicious. Departed and landed on time. Entertainment was limited to Hindi films, and a few old Hollywood classics. Air India could try improving its entertainment system. Other then that a perfect flight. Would not hesitate to fly AI again.

Air India Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Patva Darayus    (Australia)

SYD-DEL-BOM via MEL flew on 18th April. Flight was full so no chances for change of seats, my entertainment system broke down so no entertainment available for whole flight, it was a new 787. Lots of other passengers were complaining that their systems were not working. Otherwise flight staff were efficient, quick and the food was good. Flight landed one hour late may be due to head wind but otherwise it was an OK flight.

Air India Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Adam Simmons    (Spain)

LHR-DEL-SYD. In both cases, the plane was very lightly loaded, in both business and economy cabins. Seats in B777 (LHR-DEL) and B787 (DEL-SYD) were lie flat and not too difficult to manoeuvre after a little experimentation. IFE: B777 has less choice for western tastes and the remote control was very fiddly, in the end, I gave up. B787 had touch screen which was much easier to use and more responsive. Service overall was very good, except for one older female attendant on LHR-DEL who appeared to speak barely any English and could learn to crack a smile from time to time.

Air India Customer review :  17 April 2014 by Shrivastava Sachin    (Singapore)

AI 842 from Mumbai-Chennai-Singapore on 12 April 2014. Advised at the time of booking that this would be a direct flight, after a few days we get a message that this is going to be via Chennai. The atmosphere onboard was so poor, we could smell urine in the air although we are sitting pretty far from the rest room. The entertainment system was non-operational throughout the journey. The toilet seats were found to be broken and overflowing. I will never make the mistake of booking Air India again.

Air India Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Sean Singh    (Singapore)

AI 102 from JFK to DEL on their non stop service. I would rate the trip to be completely satisfactory. Comfort - This is what the trip is about. Kudos to AI team for having their Boeing 777-300ER to be configured as 3-3-3 seating instead of 3-4-3 seating which many airlines do, this translates to excellent seat space and good leg room. The trip has perfect timings and usually reaches Delhi well ahead of schedule. Food - Being from Indian origin I liked the food, which is hot and a little spicy. Entertainment - Now many would want a great entertainment units for this flight and even would have made plans to watch a lot of things inflight, well don't, this flight is great to sleep and rest. The movie selection was not great, and their interface needs improvement, Crew - Now there are a lot of small things that make an airline great and I do tend to see them, from the captain speaking about the journey and enthusiasm of the crew with a big smile each time they serve. Transfer at Delhi was fast and breezy. Overall even though there are a few shortcomings I would recommend this flight.

Air India Customer review :  8 April 2014 by V Arya    (India)

AI 55, Kochi to BOM. Fully packed late night flight, on time, decent dinner and decently well looked after for a short flight. Polite crew. Will fly again.

Air India Customer review :  7 April 2014 by V Arya    (India)

AI 54, BOM to Kochi. Slightly old plane, but perfect trip, great food and on time.

Air India Customer review :  4 April 2014 by I Chatterjee    (USA)

JFK to CCU and back in Air India, and I was in for a pleasant surprise. The aircraft, a Boeing 777-300ER, was clean, the seat was reasonably comfortable. The food was good, they offered Indian veg and non-veg, and one continental platter. The crew would only offer you veg or non-veg, one has to poke the crew and only then they would tell you of the continental option. The JFK-DEL flight arrived almost 70 minutes ahead of schedule. Once we deplaned, there were Air India ground staff to help us connect to the onward domestic flights. The domestic flight was an Airbus A320. The flight was clean, although surprisingly, I found the crew more helpful and courteous than the international leg. It was on time as well and we landed at CCU a full 7 minutes before time. No surprises during the return flights as well. Luggage was delivered quickly on all occasions. The airline have certainly improved since the last time I traveled with them. However, there are rooms for improvement in staff behavior and in-flight entertainment.

Air India Customer review :  2 April 2014 by Rajiv Krishnann    (France)

Paris (CDG) to Mumbai (BOM) - The flight took off on time from CDG. It was a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. The food served onboard was good, plenty of drinks, extremely hospitable and wonderful flight hostesses. In-flight entertainment was excellent. Reached Delhi half an hour before the scheduled arrival. Had a changeover at IGI T3, New Delhi. The flight from Delhi to Mumbai was an average one, with good food, good crew, but a little bit noisy people around. I would definitely repeat Air India in the future.

Air India Customer review :  31 March 2014 by PS Benning    (UK)

AI 115, Amritsar to London Heathrow via Delhi, the flight left Amritsar on time, snacks served during flight and there was IFE available. The flight leaving Delhi was on time and we flew in a dreamliner. The flight actually landed an hour early and it was hassle free. The crew were attentive and the whilst there was IFE it could do giving you a wider choice of viewing you get the same selection on both inbound and outbound flights.

Air India Customer review :  31 March 2014 by PS Benning    (UK)

AI 112, Heathrow to Amritsar via Delhi, flight was on time leaving London, staff were attentive, only down side was the IFE, need a wider choice of programmes and films. Aircraft was clean and the crew did make you feel welcome. Captain did keep us informed when we hit some severe turbulence as to how long it would last. I had heard some horror stories about flying with Air India but my experience was a good one. The connecting flight from Delhi to Amritsar also left on time you going get served snacks given it is only a 40 min flight.

Air India Customer review :  31 March 2014 by A Carpenter    (UK)

Flew BKK-BOM-LHR. BKK-BOM unexciting and somewhat hard-nosed female cabin crew which is a shame. Flight was on- time. 7-hour layover in Mumbai was lovely in new terminal building, great food options and plenty of lounger chairs to lay-back and rest. BOM-LHR on 787 was fabulous, very comfortable, lots of legroom, pleasant peaceful cabin except for one unfortunate air-rage incident which was handled very professionally by the cabin crew. Food a bit heavy for my liking but I would fly these guys again.

Air India Customer review :  27 March 2014 by C Thoas    (Panama)

I recently took 4 trips on AI, 1 domestic and 3 international. They were, in a word, a nightmare. JFK-DEL is 15 hours. The seats had their cushioning removed, the entertainment panel only partially worked on 1 flight and didn't work at all on our return flight. The flight maps did not even work on any of the 4 flights. Cabin maintenance (or lack thereof) made me question their mechanical maintenance. Flight attendant service was horrible. People were still in the aisles when they pushed off for take off and jumped out of their seats as soon as we touched down - opening overhead compartments etc as the cabin crew ignored everything. Too busy talking in the galley. No comments at all from the flight crew about the 3+ hours of terrible turbulence after leaving Delhi. The cabin crew routinely locked one of the coach bathrooms for their own use which meant 2 toilets for about 200 people. They never walked through the cabin before or after meal service. As a former flight attendant who has flown millions of miles on different airlines, I can say this is the worst airline ever.

Air India Customer review :  26 March 2014 by Arjan Nagra    (New Zealand)

I travelled on Air India, flight AI301 serviced by the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. It was an excellent flight. The cabin crew were very friendly and smiled. The food was good, but there was not enough western entertainment compared to other airlines. The seat was very comfortable with a great amount of leg room. I would love to fly with Air India again.

Air India Customer review :  18 March 2014 by Satish Bedi    (UK)

The seats on 777-300 for AI 112 and AI 111 are a bit small. The reclining part of the seat is also not very much. Food is served quickly after the drinks are served. I was told that it is AI policy not to allow passengers to mix drinks. There was no wine on AI 111 and I think only red wine on AI 112. When I requested a second drink (AI112), I was asked why did I not ask for a larger drink first time. The food and staff were ok. Good value for the price in comparison to other airlines.

Air India Customer review :  13 March 2014 by S Sareen    (UK)

My husband and I travelled from Amritsar via Delhi to London. Our flight was cancelled at Amritsar due to weather conditions, they decided to take us by coach to Delhi, the coach provided was very basic and there was no Air India staff to look after passengers. We were not provided with food during the journey that took about 17 hours when it should have taken only 6 hours, there were children on the bus who were very disturbed, no provisions were made available. When we got to Delhi there was no Air India rep to greet us and direct us, we were all lost and did not have any information, we were all running around from pillar to post to find out where to go and get some info, when they should have looked after us, at least when we got to Delhi. We were very disappointed with the whole service, they clearly don't know how to provide customer care so I will never travel with them in the future.

Air India Customer review :  13 March 2014 by Kshatriya Sandesh    (Thailand)

AI331, 6 Feb, BKK-BOM, A321, Seat 29F (Window). Excellent check-in service by BFS staff, warm welcoming, polite and very helpful. Good Legroom, much better than other airlines narrow body for sure (even after the guy in front of me reclined the seat did not touch my knees - I'm 6ft 1). Excellent set of crew on the flight (all female operated flight) pre-booked for VOML (Vegetarian Oriental) was served promptly - after I ate, I greedily asked for more food and was again promptly given a regular Vegetarian meal with a warm smile and was told to just call if i needed anything else. Could not fault this flight at all.

Air India Customer review :  13 March 2014 by Kshatriya Sandesh    (Thailand)

AI330, 20 Feb, BKK-BOM, A321, Seat 27C and my wife 27A (middle seat empty). Average service from the Indian staff at Bombay Airport, no eye contact, no greetings, just come and go types. Crew again all female crew including cockpit, welcoming and pleasant - but midway through the flight after the meal service things changed. I moved to the last empty row so my wife and I both could get some sleep, however, one of the crew members walked up to me and told me I could not sit there. This left a sour taste after the wonderful flight I had on the inbound.

Air India Customer review :  12 March 2014 by Andrade Sunita    (UAE)

My family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children traveled Dubai-Goa-Dubai on 20th Feb to 8 March on Air India direct. On 20th Feb, Dubai-Goa, the flight was scheduled at 11pm but took off at 12.20am. The delay announcement was very brief and no one was available at the gate for comments. If passengers were told even at 7-8pm in the evening, it would have avoided rushing to the airport. Food specially for children could be managed by us, etc. We were left standing as there was nowhere available to sit. No entertainment onboard, the seat in the front had a torn pocket which had a wire coming out which could be very dangerous for my child. I had ordered a children's meal, however on the flight back on 8th March none was given. When we pay a similar fare compared to other flights why can we not get the same services?

Air India Customer review :  4 March 2014 by J Humeau    (France)

CDG-DEL-CDG. I flew on a dreamliner, it was my first time with this airplane. Surprisingly, the business class is simultaneously comfortable and neutral. There is no soul in it, not an ounce of charm, that you frequently find with other companies. However, it is very comfortable to sleep on a flat seat.

Air India Customer review :  3 March 2014 by N Seenivasan    (Germany)

The FRA-DEL leg was delayed 24 hours due to the heavy fog in Delhi (not Air India's fault), but they quickly and painlessly transferred us to a Airport Hotel, where we had to spend the night. Air India even arranged for Indian food at the Hotel. Flight took off on time the next day at around 4pm and the Dreamliner was as usual excellent. Great leg room, good food (though the portions were tiny, the Steward quickly fixed that on request by providing me with an extra tray), staff attentive throughout. What surprised me was the attentiveness of the Stewards towards parents with young kids. Came to check up on the parents multiple times and kept the kids happy with candy and cola. The DEL-HYD leg was pleasant and on time. The return journey HYD-DEL-FRA was uneventful and on time. As a regular traveler on this route, I can only recommend Air India for their great service. Contrary to what people say about the airline, it has transformed from a hopelessly terrible service to a rather decent airline.

Air India Customer review :  3 March 2014 by Stefan Thordersen    (UAE)

My wife and I flew from Dubai to Goa and back. Check in Dubai was pleasant and the lounge offered average. On the flight to Goa there was no entertaining system available and very limited selection of beverages. Flight back from Goa via Mumbai to Dubai was however a complete nightmare. Check-in in Goa was very slow and there was no lounge facilities available. The flight it is self was OK but on arrival to Mumbai passengers from economy class rushed forward thus generated a chaotic that crew did not have the capabilities to manage. On arrival to Mumbai (3 hour stopover) we headed to the lounge offered but were not allowed to access as check in staff in Goa had not given us lounge access slips. After half an hour we were finally allowed to enter. On arrival to the gate we were informed that the aircraft had been dispatched from the gate and we would have to be re-routed to another flight. We now were asked to leave the departing area as it was necessary in regards of our rebooking and we had meet up with a duty manager. This process took 1.5 hours and finally we met up with the station manager. We did not have any other option than to buy a new ticket for the following day.

Air India Customer review :  17 February 2014 by Saketh Rahm    (USA)

Its been 20 years since I flew Air India and absolutely nothing has changed - the airline is still awful. I took a short hop DEL-JAI and a 40 minute flight turned into a 3 hour ordeal. Arrived DEL airport and check in staff said flight was on time. Went to gate, and no plane or agent to ask questions. Told by uninterested ground staff flight was changed to different gate. Went to new gate and waited for 90 minutes and finally asked what time boarding would begin. Told flight was delayed by 1 hour due to late arrival of incoming aircraft - no announcements, no information, nothing. Ground crew stood around chatting on their cell phones as passengers got annoyed and angry. Finally boarded 90 minutes late and hustled into seats. After 30 captain says, airport at JAI Is closed, waited another 60 minutes then abruptly push back fro gate. Flight to JAI uneventful, crew had a few smiles.

Air India Customer review :  14 February 2014 by Nurul Afandi    (Malaysia)

AI 301, 3 Feb 2014. Flew MEL-DEL. Chose Air India as it has a direct connection Delhi-Chandigarh. A friend was raving about the new Dreamliner. End up disappointed. Nothing special other than the fancy lighting on its windows and interior. The remote did not work, thank goodness for touch screen TV. Food choice was either veg or non veg only, both Indian cuisine. Portion was small, ended up asking for a snack 3 hours after lunch was served. Cabin was messy by end of flight, too many children on board unfortunately. Good points: Cabin staff were attentive to requests. The female crew uniforms are an old style, definitely need a modern design. Also, ground support staff were very good to ensure elders all received wheelchair support.

Air India Customer review :  11 February 2014 by J Turner    (Australia)

We arrived at check-in for AI302, the Dreamliner non-stop to Sydney, 4 hours before departure, only to be told our flight was overbooked and we must take the next flight, 24 hours later. They made no attempt to warn us beforehand so we had no opportunity to remain elsewhere. They made no attempt to book us onto associated airlines towards our destination. Instead, 2 hours later, we were bussed to a hotel miles out of Delhi City. Having eventually boarded the next day's Air India flight to Australia, we then sat and waited 2 hours on board with no service and only a single (late) announcement as to the reason. Something about late incoming connecting pax. So we eventually departed 2.3 hours late from Delhi, arrived 2 hours late in Melbourne, 1.8 hours turnaround there, eventually arriving at our final destination, Sydney. Rather than the Sydney direct flight we'd originally booked for the previous day, we ended up at Sydney 30 hours late.

Air India Customer review :  7 February 2014 by D Whalley    (UK)

Out LHR to DEL on Boeing 777. Return COK to DEL (A321) and LHR (Boeing 777). All sectors on time with DEL to LHR arriving 30 mins early. Air India staff looked after us well. On return met at domestic terminal by ground staff and escorted to international terminal. Many aspects of the service were good, but not consistently good to rival better carriers. Choice of English films/music very poor with virtually no new films or music available. Meals (we are vegetarian) variable but unimaginative and not at a standard acceptable in business class. Staff generally attentive and good, but not on domestic sector. Both journeys from and to LHR only half full in business. Whilst the overall product is not the best, it is still good value and the low cost.

Air India Customer review :  7 February 2014 by Mathur Vaibhav    (Belgium)

Traveled from Frankfurt and Delhi and back. New large aircraft, very comfortable. Good food good service. Left on time. Efficient ground staff and cabin crew. Highly recommended.

Air India Customer review :  4 February 2014 by Indraneel Upponi    (India)

AI 672 from Chennai (MAA) to Mumbai (BOM) by VT-SCT (A319). The only flight I had until now which departed 15 mins before the scheduled departure time from Chennai, and arrived 30 mins before the scheduled time in Mumbai. South Indian snacks were given as a veg-option and the IFE was working. Though the movie started halfway when we boarded the aircraft. Cabin crew were very acknowledging.

Air India Customer review :  3 February 2014 by Ralph Evans    (Australia)

Business class (AI 302) returning to Australia. I had read the poor reviews, but the schedule was good, it was non-stop, the price was OK and I wanted to try out the new B787 Dreamliner. We were very pleasantly surprised. First, the plane: it lives up to the hype. It was quiet, and I can believe the pressurisation and humidity are closer to life on the ground. We slept well and felt good on arrival. The lie-flat seats were fabulous, with cleverly designed spots to store your things. It was on time. Cabin service was fine if not notable. Ditto entertainment. One quibble: they served a large curry "supper" just before landing in Sydney early in the morning. Everyone else serves breakfast.

Air India Customer review :  25 January 2014 by Sanjay Goel    (Australia)

I have used Air India for my 2 trips in 6 months for Sydney-Delhi flight. Even though planes are new and spacious with good legroom, unfortunately 6 month old planes are falling apart too quickly, components are broken in toilets, inflight entertainment remote broken, water seeping out of toilets on carpets, service light not working or erratic, tray tables dirty with no effort to collect rubbish during or at end of flight. Entertainment: Not much to watch / listen. Food: Nothing exciting again. If you are lucky to take off on time you will get a quick round of drinks. Staff will whack the meal on your tray table. As soon as meals are served you will see cabin crew coming at 100 miles/hr with tea / coffee pots. Next cabin crew are back with trolleys to collect your trays even though half of the plane is still finishing their meals. Staff: Pilots: No updates / Announcements. Cabin Crew are uninterested, uncaring and rude. Overall, hopeless and frustrating airline.

Air India Customer review :  25 January 2014 by Phil Ward    (Switzerland)

Flew FRA-CCU-FRA in January 2014, changing planes in Delhi both ways. All sectors by new 787s, except for CCU-DEL which was on a respectable old A321. All flights reasonably on time. FRA-DEL delayed 45 minutes, but as there was nothing much to do in transit in DEL I didn't care, and DEL-FRA delayed by 30 minutes as waiting for a connection, but we still made our train from FRA with 10 minutes to spare. Check-in personnel friendly and helpful in both FRA and CCU, all plane interiors clean including toilets, pleasant food. Excellent in-flight map display on the 787s. A few niggles: on one of the 787s my AC power socket didn't work and the audio feed to my seat was dead.

Air India Customer review :  23 January 2014 by R Heywood    (UK)

As stated elsewhere, the seats/condition of planes are very poor. However there seems to be more legroom. The international flights often come out a lot cheaper - so accept poorer conditions for economy! However, the worst part of the flights I've done is the security at an Indian airport. It's atrocious and to be avoided if possible. My last trip travelling from Bangkok to London took more than an hour and that was on airside. To make it more infuriating, my hand luggage was searched 4 times and not one was a decent/thorough search - more like they were going through the motions! I will not fly with an Indian stop over any more and would rather pay a little more to avoid it.

Air India Customer review :  22 January 2014 by PraveenKumar Prem    (UK)

Jan 7 2014, MAA-DEL-BHX-MAA. Departure on time, though on an old A320, cabin crew attentive and food was good. Connection at DEL was 1.5 hrs which was quite decent timing, security again at DEL needs to be streamlined-some customer service skills for the security personnel. DEL/BHX on new Dreamliner, seats most comfortable compared to competing airlines. Electronic centrally controlled tinted windows a definite hit in Air India Dreamliners - peaceful sleep, food very good but limited drinks in Economy - no wine served. Landing good, severe delay in baggage collection, waited 45 minutes. I would definitely fly Air India B777 again.

Air India Customer review :  22 January 2014 by Vijayakumar Arumugam    (Australia)

I recently flew on the MAA-DEL-SYD leg. At Chennai airport, for an A320 flight, they had only 3 operating check-in counters, whilst planes from other airlines had 5-6 counters. This led to long delays and lengthy queues. The Air India ground staff at New Delhi airport seemed to be helpful in helping the passengers getting to their connecting flights. The Dreamliner for the Delhi - Sydney leg seemed to be a good one. The flight was delayed by 3 hours due to 3 stewards reporting sick at the last moment and they had to bring in replacement crew. The announcements were spotty and not easily forthcoming. The food served was tiny in portion with only one round of drinks offered for a 12.5 hour journey. The IFE was limited but worked. The toilets didn't have any amenities for a long-haul flight. The punctuality and the unreliability of this airline would make one say, never again.

Air India Customer review :  21 January 2014 by R E James    (UK)

BKK-DEL-BHX on 9th December and you do get what you pay for (not a criticism)! We left BKK on time and the first leg was around 4 hours on a fairly old A320 which looked a bit shambolic but did the job. Staff were almost comically surly as a first impression although once you engaged a bit they got better. They dealt with some very rude passengers so in the end we sympathized them more than anything. There was simply no IFE at all but I had brought a book so that didn't make too much difference. The pilot guided us very well through a long patch of turbulence and we slowed right down near landing in response to fog at Delhi. Overall, it was pretty poor but pilot seemed experienced and we got there safely so not complaining. The connection was ok and we had a slight delay due to aforementioned fog but this time we were on the 787 dreamliner. Lovely modern aircraft with decent IFE but nowhere near as good as Emirates though a lot is invested in Bollywood stuff. The toilets could have done with cleaning. The food was reasonable with the lamb curry on the first flight the best and all were passable if not great. Staff were a little more enthusiastic on the 2nd flight which was good although the audible "bing" sound every time anyone requested crew assistance was unnecessary. Staff were reasonably attentive and drinks were available throughout. I would recommend as it's value for money.

Air India Customer review :  13 January 2014 by Tapani Utunen    (Finland)

FRA-DEL-MAA return during the festive season on 787 and A320 on the domestic sector. Booked 9 months in advance to get a good price for the peak season and felt it was good value, because everything was perfectly fine with the Dreamliner (seat pitch, cleanliness, meals, staff service with a sense of humour at times, good on-time performance, IFE). The domestic sector was served by an older single-class A320 which was far inferior to the Dreamliner, but the staff were good both ways and served hot meals during the 2 1/2 hr flight. Cannot fault Air India in any way and loved the Bollywood films onboard the 787. However, the transit arrangements at Delhi International Airport are a nightmare, which easily bring the spirits down after a good flight. Air India management should work closely with the authorities to make transit arrangements flexible because their European flights (LHR, CDG, FRA) as well as Melbourne/Sydney seem to depart within an hour. Too much chaos and too frustrating really.

Air India Customer review :  13 January 2014 by Mark Wilkins    (UK)

London-Delhi-Bangkok return in business class. Got a very good deal back in May which was only 100 more than my usual Etihad economy trip in economy for the dates. There were some good points to the trip, but several bad points to mention. All flights on time except last leg back to Heathrow, that was compensated though by my bag being first off. Lounge quality was varied, which I'll review separately. LHR-Delhi on B777 - very good seat for sleeping (slept probably 7 hours), though privacy lacking. Good choice of drink selection, but food for business class very poor in both presentation and quality. No amenity kits on board for overnight flight. Entertainment on demand but western choice limited with only 3 recent films. Delhi-BKK. Poor all around for a 4 hour flight except the seats were wide and drink choice good again (malt scotch whisky). As noted before, chicken or veg should not be the default option for business class, and the quality of both was poor, even for airline food. No immigration forms on board, and fast track vouchers only offered on landing after numerous requests from passengers. Entertainment system on the A321 from the 1990's - no on demand, and a choice of 5 channels, 1 English. Ended up watching an Indian cop movie. BKK-Delhi - more of the same, but breakfast of better quality. Delhi - BKK - although late, best of all the legs with attentive cabin crew, calls answered on request for drinks, a good quality meal this time. Still could see the cost cutting with the amenity kit in business class being a cheap pair of flight socks and eye mask. No explanation given either of 90 minute delay. Will not be returning even considering the cost paid.

Air India Customer review :  13 January 2014 by Anne Taylor    (Australia)

Flew from Shillong to Kolkata. Check in and cabin staff were pleasant and the flight was on time but the state of the plane: broken seats, frayed seat belts, all the panels were grimey, the carpet was worn out. I hope the vital parts of the plane were better maintained.

Air India Customer review :  31 December 2013 by Indraneel Upponi    (India)

AI 234 from Gaya (GAY) to Kolkata (CCU) by A319 VT-SCI. Flight delayed nearly 45 minutes. IFE was switched off for the whole duration and we were served only 2 cookies and a bottle of water. As usual, there was a duplication of seats allocated for some passengers which led to some chaos. The only reason I travel AI is because of its ample legroom for a person of 180 cm like me. And the reason I chose this flight was because of the cheap fares available (2k per head) on the domestic leg of international flights (this flight operates as Yangoon-Gaya- Kolkata). Overall an uneventful flight minus the 45 mins delay.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax