Air Canada rouge Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Air Canada rouge
1.0 Star Rating: Very poor

1 2 3 4

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Fontana McGirr    (Canada)

We usually fly to Vegas via Montreal. We live in Ottawa and there are very few direct flights. This time we went via Toronto to Vegas. We flew Rouge. What a disappointment! The planes are old. There is no PTV and if you do rent an iPad, the movies featured are old. The overhead luggage compartment was full, so some people were asked to check their luggage because it would not fit. Luckily we had booked seats in front so we had good leg room. The flight attendants were very attentive but you could tell they lacked the experience of the veteran flight attendants. When we returned from Toronto to Ottawa, we flew a regular Air Canada flight and you could tell the difference. What has happened to Air Canada?

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 October 2014 by S Furlotte    (Canada)

We flew Rouge from Toronto to Venice because it was a direct flight. The outbound plane was older, and the seats are definitely too small, and too close together. God help you if you had someone in front of you that wanted to recline! The crew however, were young, and more friendly than most we've had in a long time. Seemed to be more flight attendants also. Our return trip was on a newer plane, and the crew were again, very friendly and helpful, but the seating was the same. People need more room!. We were aware of the inflight entertainment option with iPads, but were surprised at the few, old movie choices, and offerings. These flights were too long to have such limited entertainment. I'm glad that AC has changed its mind about Rouge to Barbados.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 October 2014 by T Carter    (Canada)

San Diego on September 30, 2014 and returned to Toronto on October 6th. On the positive side the flight left on time and the crew was pleasant and tried to accommodate passenger requests. We sat in row 25 and by the time the crew made it to that row much of the food selection was sold out, however, the crew offered the few items left in the carts and were very accommodating. My key issue is seating space. I am 6 foot 1 inch tall and thin. As you can imagine getting into those Rouge seats was an issue and sitting in that cramp space for over 5 hours proved to be very uncomfortable. They really need to put a “warning” on the booking site to say that “Rouge seats will not accommodate passengers over 6 feet tall”. Sorry to say, but this will be our last Rouge flight and I will be sure to let family, friends and acquaintances know how tight the seating is and to avoid at all cost. I just can’t imagine surviving a trip overseas.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 October 2014 by S Blomfield    (Canada)

Travelled Toronto to Athens and return on this cut-rate airline that has cut everything but the rates. Staff members on both flights, with one exception, were disengaged, disinterested and at times downright rude to passengers. I am determined never to travel Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 October 2014 by J Monaghan    (Canada)

Very cramped space. No leg room unless you upgrade your seat or are in an exit row. The seats are narrow and uncomfortable. I would never recommend rouge. If the flights were really cheap I would understand that these are trade-offs. The only saving grace is that the flight attendants were very friendly and professional.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 October 2014 by Siobhan O'Connell    (Canada)

I am a regular AC traveller Vancouver to wherever x 25 years. I had my first Rouge experience this week to Dublin, and was shocked and disgusted with all aspects of the flight. Staff seem to have been selected from Tim Hortons lineup and given camp counsellor training. With an average age of 21, I would not trust them to lead me out of my house much less off an airplane. Food inedible, seats hard and tight, and what an insult to not be told that there was no entertainment system onboard, and a charge for a glass of wine. When I complained I was told that AC always charges for wine which is not the case on the regular long haul flights. Take offence when extra charges are sprung on me (iPad). I paid same as I would have for route through Heathrow: never again a Rouge flight.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 October 2014 by H Giggi    (Canada)

I had my first and hopefully last Air Rouge trip - one way from Nassau. I'm a petite woman and I have never been so uncomfortable in a plane in spite of having an aisle seat. While it was slightly tolerable for the 3 hour flight I see that Rouge is also flying long-distance routes to places in Europe. I can't imagine being in those kind of cramped quarters for an extended flight of 8 or 9 hours. I'll fly WestJet on the Nassau route next time or an American flight through Miami. The entertainment choices were extremely limited on the iPad. I would have been happy to use aeroplan points and book the equivalent of business on Rouge but the seats are not available to Aeroplan. I called the redemption center to ask for an explanation about the Rouge flights and I was told by the customer service agent that they get many complaints about Rouge all the time. Air Canada needs to seriously reconsider their services and the routes they put these planes on.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 October 2014 by Wenda Montgomery    (Canada)

Booked my flight to Phoenix with the aircraft showing as a 320, only to discover when I received an itinerary change notification the equipment would be a rouge 319. My first flight with Rouge, what a dreadful experience - old aircraft, no leg room, even if you 'rent' an ipad, the entertainment options are dismal and no discount in the price. Having been a loyal supporter of Air Canada for many years with Super Elite/Elite status and having flown over 1-million miles I was extremely disappointed with the 'standard' that Air Canada is now offering under this brand for future travel, I will certainly we looking for other options when travelling to any destinations being serviced by Air Canada rouge.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 October 2014 by J Thompson    (Canada)

Worst flight ever. No seat room, no leg room, cramped and uncomfortable. When the people behind use the seat pockets you feel it, if the passenger in front of you reclines its a disaster. The plane was full, AC has added about 25 additional seats to the A319 and made everyone uncomfortable. Rough landing at Toronto airport although the flight was early. I have yet to meet someone who claims rouge to be adequate. Stay away I will never fly rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 October 2014 by M Geoff    (Canada)

Having booked an Air Canada flight without regard to the specifics of AC Rouge, I quickly learned Air Canada "rouge" is basically charter airline discomfort at Air Canada standard airfares. Being 6'0" tall, the 29" economy seat pitch was outright miserable. My knees pressed against the seat in front of me even with proper upright seating posture. Sleeping on the red-eye return from Las Vegas to Montreal was near impossible due to cramped seating environment. The rest of the flight was uneventful-on time, food for purchase, and luggage made it undamaged. No in-flight entertainment TV's. Overall, in my opinion, Air Canada should segregate Rouge flight options from its standard ticketing engine and sell it separately as discount charter flights, because Rouge is on par with Sunwing, Air Transat, and Thomas Cook. Its bare bone, cattle class discount service is in a league well below Air Canada's normally high standards.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 October 2014 by K Grace    (Canada)

After reading many reviews, I was very apprehensive about our flight from Toronto to Montego Bay. The flights were on time and we found the staff, young, but professional. Maybe because we're not tall people we had enough leg room and didn't feel cramped. We also found the flights to be nice and quiet without the carts going up and down the aisle every little while. We ate before we got onboard and had snacks with us so that wasn't an issue. Would fly Air Canada Rouge again if the occasion presented itself.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 October 2014 by D Monahan    (Canada)

Air Canada Rouge is to be avoided. There is no leg room, the depth of the seat is short and seats are small in width. Staff are nice but hardly compensates for the discomfort. This is Air Canada's discount option but my fare was not discounted. Avoid!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 October 2014 by J Thompson    (Canada)

Stay away from Rouge. Nothing but discomfort and aggravation. Flew back from Vegas on Oct 6th the plane was full. No body room or leg room. If the passenger behind you puts something in the seat pocket you felt it. Your knees touch the seat in front of you. No inflight entertainment, only with an iPad and they rent them for $10.00. I will not fly them again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Robert Crumb    (Canada)

You feel like your riding in a yellow school bus but with much less legroom. High seat backs, I'm 6' and my knees were pushed into the back of the seat in front of me. Flew from Toronto to San Diego for 5 hrs in beyond cramp conditions. There should be a law preventing such cruelty - the airfare wasn't any cheaper than non Rouge flights i.e. United, American, etc (you just don't see it's Rouge when you book AC).

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 October 2014 by M Mack    (Canada)

I flew YYZ to PHX. Terrible flight. No leg room, no entertainment, no electrical outlets but the same price as before. I will fly any other option than AC Rouge from now on. I have been super elite on Air Canada for years and I feel somewhat betrayed. I flew BA to London last week because I'm so angry.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 October 2014 by G Sherman    (Canada)

I flew Rouge from Toronto to Phoenix despite the reviews. The reviews are correct. The biggest issue is the seat size. This is a good airline for children as they have enough legroom. For half the flight I stood in the galley because it hurt too much to sit in a 29 inch seat for 5 hours. There is also a problem with the inflight entertainment as it offers very little if you use an Apple product. Hopefully another carrier will provide some competition.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Doig John    (UK)

Premium Rouge

YYZ-EDI, 2 Oct 2014. Booked in Premium rouge, this being the fourth sampling of Rouge since they started operations in July 2013. I have read other reports on this forum about the negative comments about AC rouge, therefore there was an element of concern of what to expect! Premium rouge permits priority boarding at YYZ this was done efficiently. On boarding the aircraft it was clean and tidy with water and menus placed on the seat arms/dividers. The crew were young and friendly, they are not however as professional in service presentation as those on AC mainline. The safety announcements were fine, as they should be. The leg room in premium rouge is similar to that provided on AC mainline Executive class. I am 6’+ and I was comfortable for the overnight flight of 6hours +. A choice of chicken or a non-meat dish was provided for dinner with drinks included for the fare paid. Hot towels and linen for the tray tables are provided prior to the first meal service. Meal orders were taken shortly after departure along with offers of complimentary I pads for IFE. I did not bother with the I pad as I wanted to sleep after the dinner service which I managed to do for around 2 hours. About 1.5 hours before landing at EDI a small continental breakfast was serviced. The flight landed at EDI on time and with a carry-on bag I was though the airport in around 15 minutes after landing. Having experienced 2 AC mainline flights in Executive class immediately prior to this rouge flight, the rouge service stood up fairly well, hopefully the professionalism to service will follow with age. I am already considering AC rouge for future trips to North America, the real down side is that at present the EDI/YYZ service is only available mid June through early October.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Pamela Wells    (Canada)

Toronto to Greece with no in house entertainment is not a good thing. You can download entertainment app if you have iphone, ipad and they start at the front of the plane with limited ipad rentals. I am short but noticed the seats smaller and my husband definitely did. Flight crew great. We always fly AC but looking at flights to Barcelona and will not fly there with AC because Air Rouge is only option.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 October 2014 by E Williams    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Travelled to Las Vegas from Toronto. Paid the extra money for premium economy as it was a long flight. Luckily we got the row right behind business class and it felt a little roomier for the legs. Think we were luckier than the rest in premium economy for this reason only. God forbid if you had to go to the bathroom because you had to make your way down the narrow aisle to the back of the plane loaded with people waiting to use the bathroom. There is barely enough room to pass other people going the opposite direction. But people persist by squeezing past you nevertheless. We ordered 3 pizza slices and falafel wrap. The pizza was the worst. Paper thin. Nothing like the picture in the menu. Ate it because we weren't prepared with snacks of our own. I did find that the staff tried their best in these less than ideal conditions. They must have to deal with a lot of grumpy people on these flights. I guess a lot of people on the flight were up and about in plane as to avoid blood clots in legs. I was very thankful to finally leave the plane at our destination. I will seriously reconsider Air Canada Rouge for future flights.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 October 2014 by A Clarke    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Flew executive from Vancouver to Nassau on Air Canada (YVR to YYZ) then Rouge (YYZ to NAS). The Air Canada portion in a pod was 9 out of 10 as the food wasnt great. I braced myself for the downgrade partly from some seriously bad reviews on this website. I was pleasantly surprised to find the seats we not bad, food the same as Air Canada and the flight crew great. I thought Rouge was ok after all. Then came the return flight. We got to the airport only to find the flight had been cancelled and new flight would be 2 hours late. Then three, then four and here's where things went downhill. I was now not going to make my connection in Toronto back to Vancouver. I was advised by a lady who barely looked up that I was now booked on a red eye out of Toronto. I said I wouldn't fly an overnight flight and could I please book the first flight out in the morning. She said no at first but then came back and said I would have to fly coach - I said no as I had an executive ticket. She said it's an aeroplan booking and added if you had a paid for an Air Canada ticket she may have been able to help me. Flew to YYZ - went right to Air Canada relations. They listened and gave a sincere apology for my treatment in Nassau. They ask me when I wanted to leave and although they were unable to give me complimentary hotel stay in they did offer to get me a special rate. Flight home on Air Canada B777 perfect, breakfast was the best pancakes ever. Overall, Rouge not so bad but their handlers in Nassau were rude and disrespectful. Would I fly Rouge again? Probably but wish Air Canada would take back the route.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Deborah Vandewater    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

We flew back to Toronto from Barcelona anticipating another good Rouge flight as was the outbound. The equipage was different and while the room (premium) was about the same, there was no outlet to plug into and the service was much less. As other reviewers have written- the staff spent a majority of their time behind their curtain in the forward cabin. They did their jobs- served towels, food and liquor, but otherwise you didn't see them very much. The buttons to recline the seat or put up the leg rest were very beaten up (I.e. Old) levers. Some seats worked - mine did not. So I would say your trip is really dictated by: A) the age of the plane and B) the hospitality factor of the attendants. One point in the attendants' favour is that they ran out of chicken on the flt back and switched crew meals to accommodate our choice. Guess Rouge needs more chicken for all the people coming home after a cruise as we start our diets! P.S. I borrowed one of their iPads as my mini kept cutting out on the first flight. Worked just fine and has a much bigger screen.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 October 2014 by I Redondo    (Canada)

Montreal to Rome Aug. 16 and Lisbon to Toronto September 14. Staff okay, they were pretty nice on the way to Rome, cheerfully indifferent from Lisbon to Toronto. Having to pay for an iPad and lack of Android app is not good. Seat pitch and lack of legroom horrid. Food was mixed: their main courses were totally inedible but wrap snack was okay. Not enough room on the overhead bins, where everything was squished, actually not enough room anywhere. Seriously total strangers were bonding over how cramped we all were. It's inhumane, really. And what was worse is that I paid regular AC prices! I don't know where those passengers who bought cheaper got their tickets, but I can tell you I've been rouged for the last time! I read that the AC CEO says that the problem is that passengers have to "adjust their expectations." I hope he'll soon need to adjust his. It was a horrid experience, and never again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 October 2014 by J Lieberman    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Rouge 1898 & 1899 YVR-LAS and back. The only good thing about this experience was the fact that I was sitting in "Premium Rouge" and had some semblance of leg room on the A319 aircraft. I felt bad for the people in the back, cramped in like sardines. Ridiculous that they charge virtually the same as mainline flights for much less. Also ridiculous is that Rouge requires the same number of eUpgrades as mainline for a lot less in the J cabin. Flight attendants were more interested in chatting amongst themselves and their friends onboard, than looking after the rest of the passengers and they do not exude any confidence whatsoever. I highly recommend people avoid Rouge if at all possible!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 October 2014 by H Beattie    (Canada)

You don't even get a cracker with your drink, and the seats are narrow if you are over 5'6" or larger than a size M you will feel squished in your seat. No screens or power sources, so if you don't carry an Apple product they will "rent you one for a mere $10". At the very least when you book a flight on AC Rouge a window should pop up that advises you of these changes. No one likes a surprise and I didn't speak with one happy passenger. Needless to say the next flights we had booked, we've gone ahead and upgraded to their Premium Seats so Air Canada accomplished their goal - they got us to spend more. Westjet is looking pretty good right now.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 October 2014 by M Cowger    (Canada)

Like many others I feel that I was abused, maybe even cheated. I am a senior citizen, normally a trusting soul. Buyer beware. I booked an AC flight to Lisbon, and found that I was sent off on this substandard flight - never again. Thankfully the return flights were Lufthansa. What a difference. Worst to best. I am very unhappy with every aspect of the quality of this carrier. Others have already made similar comments - there seems no need to elaborate. Mostly I am unhappy at unwittingly being routed on this flight. Hopefully adding my name to the list of numerous other dissatisfied customers will prevent others from making this mistake. A mistake I will not repeat. Lufthansa or any other airline would be my future choice. As a Canadian, I could tolerate the normal AC second rate service, this has been more than anyone should be willing to accept.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Michael Walker    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

I've had two flights with rouge. Never again. I was forced to use rouge with flight passes from Tampa and I will not purchase Air Canada flight passes again. Both times flights were late. The latest, a flight from Kingston Jamaica scheduled to leave at 2 pm left after 8 pm. There is no business class, food is terrible as is entertainment. Why not perfect your brand and let others fly Westjet or Transat - stop competing in this cheap flight service market. Hate to say it but I am going with American Airlines until Porter offers longer flights.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 October 2014 by S Mons    (Canada)

I have flown for over 20 years with Air Canada. However for the first time ever, I had a 4 hour flight from Phoenix to Toronto and I have never stepped foot into a plane that had such little leg room! I am 6'5" tall and I could not put both of my legs behind the seat in front of me. I was also surrounded by other men who were all over 6' tall and they all suffered from this. I will continue to fly Air Canada but only if it is not an AC Rouge flight. Unless AC changes their seat layout, I will start flying DELTA or American to the cities that Rouge flies to.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 October 2014 by B Eli    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Flew many times before on the YUL-LAS one way flight in economy and since they changed to Rouge just before this trip back in April 2014, I thought it was probably to satisfy a high demand for one way flights to LAS thus explaining the switch to a bigger plane. However, simply converting an old 767 plane into a "low cost carrier" for which the price was still the same as the previous 737 plane, I just can't say it was worth the upgrade to business class. OK, the seats are fine and so was the space, but to take away the personal in flight screen and all of the electrical outlets to be replaced with wifi and BYO Device? I wonder how many people got enough battery for 5 hours. Even though the tablet was included in business class, oh my lord the lack of entertainment choices! There was virtually nothing! As much as the food, rather disappointing but ok. My mimosa didn't have any alcohol and breakfast was as good as any economy food. Nice try AC to pass off a new low cost carrier by simply keeping all of the profits. Good thing people take notice into the type of aircraft they're paying for.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Primeau Georges    (USA)

I travel South from Canada twice a year. I always favored Air Canada for comfort, Entertainment, and the service. It bugged me a little when we had to pay for our meals, but it wasn't so bad. It was an excellent price-quality ratio. Last week, I've travelled Rouge. The staff were nice, but the rest was disappointing. I've travelled Air Cubana once, and I feel it was comparable to Rouge. The leg room is terrible, and the entertainment system is worst than awful, offering old movies at a high cost (10$ to rent the iPad and 5$ to access the movies). Rouge doesn't compare well to other budget airlines. Moreover, we've lost our best airline to the South.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 October 2014 by B Foster    (USA)

Booked a flight from Las Vegas to Quebec leaving at 11.30 pm arriving at 9.52 am. First leg was on Air Canada Rouge and the second was a turboprop plane. A week later double checked my reservation and found out that first flight had been cancelled and was booked on another Air Canada rouge. However, this time I was leaving at 12.15 pm arriving in Montreal and then had a 13 hour layover. I called Air Canada and asked if I was being put up in a hotel room for the night in Montreal. No was the answer. The agent really did not care at all. After much discussion I cancelled the reservation and asked for a confirmation email that I would get a full refund. Agent stated that it would not be a problem. When asking how long it will take for the refund he replied "Up to 3 weeks". 24 hours later I never did receive the email but the reservation had been cancelled. My suggestion is do not fly this airline.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  1 October 2014 by Janet Smith    (USA)

Booked on "Air Canada" at a rather high cost from Montreal to San Diego. Discovered that "Rouge" was the carrier from Toronto onwards. Plane small, hot, crowded, all the usual complaints flyers have these days. Not even a bag of peanuts offered on a 4.5 hour flight, free water offered hourly, however. I have no objection personally to flying 'cattle class' when I have paid accordingly. This is outright highway robbery at over $300. one way on what I thought was a 'legacy' carrier. The cabin was overheated with no apparent way to improve the temperature or comfort level. Two lavs at rear of cabin appeared insufficient given the projected passenger load. The staff appeared eager, but inept in so many ways. I felt as though I was being attended to by the local fast food restaurant hostess: eager, chirpy but ill equipped for a real job. As is the current custom, constant nickel and diming along the way adds to flyer frustration, fortunately I can forgo the proffered toys at $10. a pop, but I do object to paying premium price on a cheap-0 carrier. Never again. (Date of Travel: Sept. 24th, flight 1847 - Toronto to San Diego non-stop).

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  1 October 2014 by Frank Barry    (Canada)

We flew AC Rouge to Venice on Aug 23 having paid for the extra leg room seats. The flight was good and the extra leg room was great. Having read many reviews complaining about the cramped seats. It would be nice if the cost of the extra leg room seats included a few extra perks (like priority boarding and/or free drinks) as $90 for a one way is a bit steep. The flight was good, excellent service. I was surprised that a flight to Italy did not have any announcements in Italian. The in-flight entertainment was OK on our iPhone and iPad. Although not "advertised" the USB plug on the arm rest came in handy for keeping our devices charged. There is also plug to be shared between the two seats by the window. Movie choices were OK but not as good as the mainline aircraft. I also really missed the flight data and maps that are available on most airlines.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  1 October 2014 by N Jean    (Canada)

Pro: Flight from Toronto (Canada) to Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) and back safely and on time. Cons: No entertainment (ex. movies) on board, unless you have ipad, iPhone or Windows laptop. You can rent an iPad on the plane for 10$. Movies not compatible on Android systems. You had to pay for your food. Some beverages such as water, juice was provided for free though. No space between the economy seats. If your 6 foot and taller, unless your seated near the alley way, its very uncomfortable especially when the persons in front of you reclines their seat. The only reason we went with them, is because we saved 25% on our trip with our Airmiles. Don't get SCRouged by this airline, if possible choose another airline.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  1 October 2014 by K Ann    (Canada)

Air Canada Rouge from Toronto to Montego Bay and return. Seats were cramped (I am 5'4" and my knees touched the seat in front of me), no entertainment unless you bring an iPad, service was minimal and no duty free offered on the return flight. This is definitely a no frills airline but you are paying full Air Canada price. Would never book with Air Canada Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  1 October 2014 by Thomas Bouchard    (Canada)

Excellent Flight and service. We travelled Air Canada Rouge from Toronto to Barcelona on 17 Sep 2014 and returned 28 Sep 2014. We originally had premium seating both ways, but we changed our arrival date and had to settle for economy. Prior to leaving, I read these reviews and was mortified and dreading our flight for 8.5 hours. We boarded the plane, it was clean, new and right off the bat, the staff were wonderful. Many reviews complain about the age of the staff? Why? They are extensively trained and I would rather travel with this crew than the stuffy old sky bags on other Air Canada flights. The leg room was perfectly fine in economy. I am 5'11" and 210 lbs. not a small lad and I was comfortable the entire way. As for air circulation, that is normally an issue on regular flights as you are always adjusting the flow and on overnight flights, there is a tendency to lower the pressure of air flow and turn up the temperature to make folks sleep. Not on this flight. The air flow was good, you could feel it, and it remained a comfortable constant. Meals were provided, which normally are not. Drinks were available as usual. As for the inflight entertainment, the IPad thing was perfectly fine, tons of options. We did not know about this, but if you read your itinerary email it tells you. Also, you can rent one of theirs for a small fee. Our return portion had us seated in the premium seating, just a little expense more, and again, more leg room, but really, it was perfectly fine. Better than United Air, which I will never fly again. This flight was great, we were comfortable. It is a budget flight as advertised and we would do it again. For those complaining, we have flown around the world, both on economy and first class and this flight was fine. I think they are complaining because that's what they like to do. Did not hear a single complaint from anyone on the entire flight. Air Canada Rouge is a hit. Thanks again to the wonderful flight staff for a great flight.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  1 October 2014 by P Campbell    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

SFO-YVR rerouted off cancelled United flight, as I have been avoiding AC Rouge on all of the Western Canada to California routes since they converted from mainline - I just can not do 29 inch pitch. On this A319 flight I used Altitude upgrades to Premium Rouge which is 6 across with middle seats blocked. Unfortunately I was assigned 1A which has 2 problems: (1) It is a bulkhead seat with less than 20 inches of room between the seat legs and the bulkhead, and (2) front row means tray tables stowed in the armrest so even though the middle seat was blocked, I was confined tightly into the seat. Onboard service was pleasant with the new crews and the meal that was offered with a menu and choice of entrees was good standard Air Canada domestic J quality. Unfortunately due to the reduced personal space and legroom, I will continue to make a point of avoiding Rouge where I am able to select another carrier. Glad to see DL is ramping up some more YYC service this fall giving more options to California.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Mindy Avrich-Skapinker    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

We came back on a Rouge flight yesterday from Venice to Toronto. We paid $2000 for our flight, the outbound was AC to Munich-Sarajevo-Venice. All fine though hardly "world class". We had no idea we were booked on a Rouge flight home or what that meant. None of the pre-booked seats were available or honoured. We were put together, my husband and I in row 48 but many people were separated. Then we learned there are no screens, I don't carry a tablet so was told I could rent one for 10 Euros, on a $2000 ticket! Lunch - no wine, no drinks unless you paid $6.50. Lunch was nothing fresh, no salad, all starch, no fruit, no vegetables and dessert was a cookie. Then 2 hours later the snack - a cookie and 2 hours before landing, a wrap. This was a 9.5 hour flight. Two hours before the flight arrived the bathroom had no toilet paper and was unclean. The poor lovely staff were dressed in ugly colours with fedoras looking like they stepped out of South American villages. Shame on Air Canada.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 September 2014 by K Kad    (Canada)

I have been a loyal Air Canada customer since moving to Canada. As someone who is traveling almost every week airline performance is important. Perhaps it's the perfect case scenario but for all the reasons that came to be, I am left having paid full fare for a 5 hour flight from Toronto only to get to the plane to find everything I had come to expect missing. I'll give Air Canada credit as I was very much aware that this was a "operated by rouge" badging which was very predominantly displayed throughout the purchase process. At the time I paid no attention to it as the price I was paying was exactly the same as all previous tickets purchased to this destination (I travel at least once a year to this destination to attend conferences). There is no entertainment screens, no USB power, no power outlets, cramped seating. All of which I may be perfectly ok with if it was it on its own. The fact that they are combined is making this unbearable. Do I have an iPad? Yes, is it charged enough to use for 5 hours? Absolutely not. As a businessman I've been on my devices all day and look forward to a flight without having to look at work or its related devices. None of my devices, including my phone I'm typing this on, is on a position to be used for extended periods of time by the end of the day. This is ignoring the fact I like to land at destination with a full charge! I spent extra money for a business class seat on the return, expecting to be on the red eye and landing at 7 am to drive straight to the office. Seeing what a "business class seat" looked like, simply same as economy with an empty "for your convenience" empty seat in the middle is useless. I will not get to sleep properly, unwind, relax, and be ready for a full day of business when I land. Instead I had to cancel some meetings and move my flight up to ensure that I can land with enough time to get a proper nights rest before my next day begins. Unfortunately I will be replacing all my flights in which Rouge operates and as soon as I identify an airline which can accommodate the destinations I require from YYZ I will be dropping Air Canada altogether.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Barbara Kakiris    (USA)

I booked what I believed to be standard Air Canada flights YYZ to ATH (AC#1900) on Sept 10 and ATH to YYZ (AC #1901) on Sept 19. Unfortunately, I learned what Rouge was, never having heard of the concept and certainly not ever wanting to experience it again. The 767 aircraft was an absolute nightmare for lack of space, entertainment, and food or beverage. The first thing I noted was the lack of TV screens on seat backs-I asked the attendant what was going on and he explained that for weight concerns, they'd removed them to save the cost of flying the AC planes. He also said that "everyone has an iPad these days" so they felt the decision was warranted. When it came time for meals, I asked for wine and was told that it was available for purchase. The attendants were in their early 20s, inexperienced, and should have been made to practice the company talking points before being permitted to board the plane and interact with customers, as their inability to provide acceptable rationale only made matters worse. Myself and my boyfriend are both tall and he suffered tremendous back and leg pain. It's not worth it to spend 10-11 hours on a plane with no entertainment or hospitality. All of the other carriers know what it is to travel internationally and will actually care for customers. Lose the fedoras and horrible shoes and spend some money on customer-focused resources.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 September 2014 by M Tomlinson    (UK)

We took a flight from Manchester to Toronto on the B767. After reading the reviews on here before I left, I expected the worst. I am over 6 ft tall and so asked at check in whether they had any extra leg room seats available. They did and I was placed there free of charge. Once on board I found the seat was a bulkhead by an emergency exit so although I couldn't stretch my legs straight, there was more space than other seats. My friends hadn't requested extra legroom so we're sat further back in the plane. I went and joined them for a small time (plane was half empty) and the space was no where near as bad as made out on here. Ok space is tight, but the cabin felt open and refreshed. Food and service was ok, but felt they were a bit stingy with the drinks (only serve soft drinks and only brought round twice), plus no water served in between. Having said all of this, I wouldn't like to fly on here should it be a full flight, so would try not to use them again unless it was the only option.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Donna Jones    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

My husband and I booked Business Class from Phoenix to Toronto on Rouge a few days ago. After awhile in the air, I noticed that people were coming in from Economy to use the washroom. I needed to go and had to wait a long time for an Economy passenger to come out. I asked the attendant if this was allowed and she admitted it wasn't, apologized (with attitude and obvious resentment at being challenged) and said she had been "busy". What happened next was appalling. After a few minutes, she came to my seat, and loudly asked me if I would mind if another economy passenger could use the washroom as he was on crutches. Rouge customers should be made aware that if you book Business Class, at considerable extra expense, you are expected to carry economy passengers and their needs. Unbelievable. She continued to allow more economy passengers to continue to use the washroom for the duration of the flight.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 September 2014 by K Rogers    (Canada)

Extremely uncomfortable flight! The cabin was very cramped with no leg room. I am only 5'11" and my knees were jammed in to the back of the seat in front of me. When rows are that tight, you shouldn't have the ability to recline - yet Rouge seats still have that functionality. They also charge for checked baggage ($25) which causes everyone to try and carry on creating an even more cramped cabin. Rude service, no snacks. Cost was the same as a West Jet flight, with the additional cost of baggage. Sorry Rouge, you can't charge full price but then call yourself a discount airline so you can provide terrible service. The cabin couldn't be more cramped. Seats were so tight with zero leg room. Barely one person can walk down the aisle. Overhead bins full to explosion since they charge for baggage and with so little leg room people avoid putting things under the seat in front of them. Price for Rouge is same as regular AC flight. A total disaster!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 September 2014 by D St Germain    (Canada)

My wife and I took Rouge from Montreal to Rome 3 weeks ago. I was very apprehensive given the stories of extra onboard expenses small seat and questionable service. We were both pleasantly surprised. The seats were great (we had a bulk head seat) and the service was excellent. The staff onboard were very young and attentive. The food was certainly adequate and surpassed my expectation. The entertainment system was very good and affordable. My only concern, not complaint, was our seats were located under the A/C vent and in order to keep the rest of the plane comfortable, my wife was wrapped in several blankets and her coat on. The young attendant provided her with a free entertainment system to help compensate. This was unexpected and appreciated. I would fly Rouge again with no apprehension.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Stensrud Doreen    (Canada)

Just returned from Dublin on Air Canada Rouge - not a good trip. Unfortunately the flight was delayed in Toronto by 3 hours. No communication from ground staff in departure lounge that could be heard. Boarding was confusing. Sat on tarmac another hour plus I am elderly and needed to use the toilet that was not allowed. Flight attendants were not warm and friendly, we did not feel welcome. The meal was ok but my pop was warm as they did not offer ice. There was supposed to be a snack meal near the end of the flight but nothing was offered. Could not have coffee due to turbulence which for the whole trip was minimal. Kept seat belt sign on for most of flight making it difficult to use the toilet, in fact my husband was told he could not. We have been flying many years and Air Canada is not our carrier of choice due to attitude of staff. We will not be flying Air Canada again unless we have no other choice.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Blow Joe    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

I recently flew ATH-YYZ on Rouge. It was much better than I expected - but I think that was probably mostly because I was in Premium Economy. The regular seating section really looked cramped, and passengers there did not look happy. The good: great flight crew. Yes, they are young, and yes they wear funny outfits (the hats are ridiculous!). But they were all really friendly, helpful, and attentive, and I saw no evidence of lack of knowledge. The seat was very comfortable - not business class, but definitely much roomier than even 'normal' economy. On time take off and landing, frequent drink service, and decent food (for an airline). The bad: the Premium seats seem to be anchored by some mechanism that completely blocks the under-seat space. That meant there was no room for my shoulder bag - which I have successfully placed under seats in much smaller aircraft. As others have noted, the iPad connection is not always reliable, and I had to restart it a couple of times.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  25 September 2014 by Good Brian    (Ireland)

We thought we were flying from Toronto to Dublin on a normal Air Canada flight and had not heard of Rouge until we arrived at the airport. We were there 4 hours before the flight, checked in at the self service kiosk and were not allocated seats, we were told this would be done at the gate. The gate did not open until about 30mins before departure, we asked about seat allocation and were told by a rather officious member of staff to sit and wait until we were called, so the flight is boarding and very late in the day we are called to be given our seats. There is some difficulty in finding 2 together for my wife and I but finally it happens, we walk the short distance to the plane to find our seats already occupied by 2 members of a family group. After a lot of faffing around the cabin crew finally split the family up by giving 2 of them an upgrade to the comfortable seats upfront while we are left in he hard cramped nasty ones in the main cabin. Only then do we discover this stupid nonsense with the lack of inflight entertainment unless you have an ipad with you and have downloaded their app which of course we had not been aware of. Altogether an unpleasant flight experience, doubly disappointing given Air Canada's supposed good reputation. I would not fly with them again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  25 September 2014 by Wayne Dillon    (Canada)

What a mistake they have made with this change. Definitely a disappointing experience, older aircraft, no price break, limited choice on non stop routes and poor entertainment options. We would have expected more from the Air Canada brand. Hopefully they will rethink this experiment and return to the standards we have come to expect from Air Canada.

1 2 3 4