Air Canada rouge Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Air Canada rouge
1.0 Star Rating: Very poor

1 2 3

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 September 2014 by G Vergottini    (USA)

Venice to Toronto B767-300ER and then to San Diego A319. It wasn't the best of experiences. It's not right to call Rouge Air Canada's budget alternative - it's Air Canada's substandard offering on many of their routes. It's not an alternative and it's not particularly cheap either. I flew Air Canada (I didn't even know about Rouge) because I am a United MileagePlus member and wanted to stick with United to maintain my Premier Silver status. I fly to and from Venice every September on business. In the past I used U.S. Airways but they're no longer part of the Star Alliance. On every other Star Alliance airline I have flown, having Star Alliance Silver status has got me priority boarding - usually group 2 or similar. With Rouge, you have to have Star Alliance Gold status to get priority seating and there is no other level. Next is the planes - they're Air Canada's oldest planes reconfigured to carry more passengers. This means thinner and less comfortable seats and less legroom - done in a drab gray. There is no reconfiguring of the overhead space to account for the higher passenger load. The 767s in particular have an outmoded overhead bin space design from the early 1980s that is very inefficient and does not accommodate modern carry-ons very well. When you have an additional 50 passengers to carry, the problem only gets worse - expect a battle for bin space. The seats feel cheap and my tail bone ached through most of both flights from the hard surface underneath. The seats do recline, but pressing the recline button nearly broke my finger - on both seats. On the 767, the flight attendant call button is on the armrest in a position you're quite likely to inadvertently press. As a result, it happens all the time. I counted 11 flight attendant call lights lit in my part of the cabin at one point - so flight attendants don't pay attention to them anymore. There is power to the seats - but only 4 outlets for every 7 seats in each row. Expect to have to share an outlet with your seat mate. There are no USB power outlets. There are no onboard entertainment systems at each seat. Instead, they wirelessly stream entertainment to your personal electronic device. However, there is a catch. You can watch TV shows using a basic wi-fi connection but in order to watch movies, you need to have downloaded their iPad/iPhone app before the flight. This feature is only available for the iPad/iPhone so if you have a laptop or Android device, you're out of luck. The app is a simple wrapper around the website - there is absolutely no reason why you should have to have install the app to get to the movies. You can rent a limited number of iPads from the airline for $10. As for the entertainment itself, it's pretty bad. While there were new episodes of Big Bang Theory and other recent shows, most of the TV was old. The movies were mostly old or second rate. The inflight service wasn't bad. The food was good and service came often. We had a good lunch and idway through the flight there was a second service which included a bag of chips chocolate chip cookies. The final service included a small but tasty chicken pesto wrap. The young staff were attentive and friendly. Ground staff in Venice were friendly but not so good in Toronto. All in all, this was a bad experience. Air Canada is cheapening their product with this sub-par airline. This feels more like a way around labor unions than an effort to build Air Canada into a great airline. It's such a disgrace that I vow to never fly either Air Canada or Air Canada Rouge again - that is my punishment for this awful excuse of an airline.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 September 2014 by D Vandewater    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

My husband and I just deplaned from the Toronto - Barcelona flight. Having read the mounting negative commentary on Rouge over the last few months we were prepared for the worse. We were pleasantly surprised. The 767-300 was clean and maintained, the bathroom likewise, the attendants all friendly and personable. We were in premium and there was a big blanket and pillow and a small bag of toiletries, plus bottled water at our seats. Food was most satisfactory (same as AC as I had most of it earlier in the day). No complaints and such a relief to have gone Rouge. Plugs below the seats for the electronics. Premium rouge will never be business class - still rather cramped, but I would fly it again and we will on our return home! The inflight entertainment was easy to hook up to with my iPad and mac air, but it kept disconnecting, necessitating 9 more clicks at least 10 times thru the flight to get the program back that I was watching.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Caitlin Carrol    (Canada)

Booked Air Canada Rouge return Ottawa to Las Vegas, it was easily the worst airline experience I've had. I was Rouged many times on each flight and don't recommend this company to anyone. Narrow and very uncomfortable seats, with little to no leg room (and I'm only 5'5). No inflight entertainment, unless you have an ipad or want to rent one from them. Oh, and your reward for renting the ipad is a terrible and tiny collection of entertainment choices. Don't forget to charge up your devices, because there are no power sources on board. Which makes for a particularly long flight when you're crammed into an uncomfortable seat with no entertainment. Did I mention the food selection? It's not good either. Half, and sometimes less than half, of what's available on Air Canada flights. I could go on, but I won't. It seems like others share my disdain. Don't bother booking premium rouge, it's the same seats and same situation as the rest of the plane.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 September 2014 by J Leighton    (UK)

My wife and I flew Air Canada Rouge from Manchester to Chicago. We didn't know when we booked it that it was a Rouge flight. I will never fly with them again until they sort the leg room. It's a shame, as everything else was OK, but for a long haul flight, I need to be able to sit down without my knees touching the seat in front. I'm a bit over 6 foot. Even my wife found if uncomfortable, and she's a bit shorter than me. Basically, unless it's so cheap that it makes up for the 8 hours of pain you'll get from being jammed into something even cattle transporters would consider cruel, go with another airline.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 September 2014 by D McKay    (Canada)

After reading all the reviews here my wife and I didn't know what to expect from Rouge. We flew from Toronto to Edinburgh on Aug 28 and were very pleasantly surprised. My wife is pushing 6' and not once complained of leg room she did have an aisle seat where I get the window seat and I didn't have a problem either. Food was airplane food what else can I say it was hot and edible, didn't once have a problem with any request from the crew. Crew was very professional and courteous young and full of energy. Must say better than some of the flight crew on the mainline AC, a smile goes a long way. We flew Rouge on the return trip Sept 12 and experienced the same service. We knew of the inflight entertainment and came prepared, I liked using my own IPad, I could watch or listen to my own or theirs. We would fly again on Rouge we liked the route and really liked the price over mainline Air Canada.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Daniel Ruttle    (UK)

I booked a flight direct on the Air Canada website, choosing this flight over the slightly cheaper alternative thinking I would receive a higher level of service, how wrong I was. What they don't tell you at the point of booking is that you are being fobbed off onto their 'no frills' budget organisation! The level of service onboard was shocking, from boarding and realising there is no in-flight entertainment unless you rent one of their ipads at a cost of $10 or have pre downloaded their app onto your own device, which is all well and good had we been informed of this prior to being sat on the runway with no internet access! With that disappointment settled in we move onto the food, I've taken many long haul flights in my time but never experienced such poor quality food, from stale bread to bland chicken that's barely warmed through is probably the only inflight meal I've not actually finished! On the returning leg we were fed the same for dinner and were treated to a soggy slice of banana cake for breakfast. Trying to get a drink during the flight is equally annoying, when you are actually offered a drink you are lucky if they have what you want, they push the apple and orange juice on you as if that's your only option but on both occasions I ordered apple (both legs) they had run out! Alcoholic beverages are also not complimentary which again is odd for a long haul and especially with a so called premium airline, another disappointment was when I actually got a coffee, it arrived with no stirrer or spoon as they had run out and was barely lukewarm and very poor quality! All in all a completely disastrous experience and one that I will never repeat!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 September 2014 by T Chung    (Canada)

AC1900, Toronto to Athens on July 17, return on AC1901 on Aug 7. Our flight on AC Rouge to Athens was comfortable and we found the staff to be friendly and competent. As others have commented, the seats are close together but my husband and I were comfortable (I'm 5’ft 4”, he is 5 ft 11”). The food and beverages were fine (meals included spicy pasta with a small salad or chicken breast with vegetables, light snack included warmed wraps). We were regularly offered water during the 10 hour flight. With the Rouge app downloaded in advance, the entertainment is fine. We had no trouble connecting to in-flight entertainment during our flight. Our son has an allergy to peanuts and, having read the reviews on this site, we were concerned for the cleanliness of the seats (potential cross contamination causing an allergic reaction) and the competence of the staff. Anyone with serious allergies will understand the level of worry that comes without access to medical assistance for a long period. On both our outgoing and return flights, the flight attendants were very attentive and in both cases asked passengers sitting close to us to refrain from eating nuts which we greatly appreciated. We didn't use the blankets and pillow provided (brought our own) and brought allergy free food for my son so we didn't require any special or additional attention from AC.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 September 2014 by J Carey    (Canada)

Flew Rouge from Toronto to San Diego and return. Didn't know I was on a Rouge flight, I should have paid more attention but then I didn't know what awaited me. What awaited me was the worst flying experience ever. There was no legroom. I rented an Ipad on the way down and was disappointed by the entertainment offering and they ran out of ipads on the return leg. I have been a long time supporter of Air Canada. I have always said that I knew what to expect (a service offering I was satisfied with) and when I got on an Air Canada flight to come home, I felt I was home when I boarded the flight. I really have been a vocal supporter of Air Canada. But no longer. We are currently booking flights to Phoenix in January, not on Air Canada.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Gibson Ron    (Canada)

I flew to Phoenix AZ and back to Toronto on Rouge for the first time last week. The seating was cramped and the staff on the return flight were rude. In addition to having to pay for my checked luggage I had to pay for advanced seat selection. I am glad that I did because I could not have survived the trip in the middle seat being over 6 feet in height. This was my first and last Rouge flight. As a former Super Elite and Elite member for over 10 years I have become increasingly disappointed by Air Canada. I have switched to other airlines for overseas flights and will now give my remaining business to the competition even if I end up paying more.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 September 2014 by K Lam    (Canada)

We flew from Toronto to/from Barcelona on Rouge - specifically AC1914/AC1915. We flew AC because it was the only direct flight available. The general experience is ok but if given a choice in the future, we will not fly Air Canada, and definitely not Rouge. We were disappointed with the lack of entertainment screen - it's annoying to have to "rent" an ipad or download the app to our devices in order to see AC's selection of old movies and shows. What I find unforgivable is that AC actually served our meals (all passengers) with "bread roll" that were almost as hard as rocks. I think AC should review their food service.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Arlene Willis    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Flight Number 1895 from Tampa to Toronto on September 2nd. My husband and I are both Super Elite 1,000,000 members. Air Canada Rouge is not up to Air Canada Standards! It is like a cattle car! People are stuffed into the seats like sardines. We were lucky enough to get bumped to Premium Rouge but it is still awful. The staff are very sweet and nice but when I asked what kind of red wine they had - she said we have a Chardonnay and a Cabernet! Surely you can do better Air Canada. In addition, all of the ground staff at Tampa Airport are leaving or have left because of the treatment they receive from Rouge Management and staff. We have taken Flight 902 and 903 for over 30 years from Tampa to Toronto and Toronto to Tampa.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Jim Arnold    (USA)

Orlando to Montreal, Sep 3 at 10 am returning on Sunday, Sep 7 on 8.35 flight. They are terrible to say it bluntly. No food, no leg room, etc. Will never fly with them from USA to Canada. Only plus was they didn't lose my golf clubs. Also, were begging folks to check in their carry-on luggage at the gate. How could they already know that there would be little room available?

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Lewis Deitch    (USA)

I have been an Air Canada Aeroplan member for over 30 years, and I do a lot of overseas traveling from my home base in Phoenix, Arizona. Fortunately Air Canada has connected Phoenix with Toronto since the mid 1990's, making overseas connections quite easy. In winter there is additional service to Calgary, which enables flight connections to London and Frankfurt. Recently Phoenix service was converted to the new Air Canada Rouge budget category. All I kept reading were negative reviews about how cramped the business class was and how poor the food and service were. I traveled to Toronto on July 1 to connect to Frankfurt and returned from Toronto (Copenhagen) on August 30. Frankly I found nothing wrong with Air Canada Rouge. Yes the seats are smaller coach seats with the middle seat blocked out. But there was almost as much legroom as on a regular Air Canada domestic flight. As for lunch en route to Toronto and Breakfast returning to Phoenix, the food quality was comparable to a regular domestic Air Canada flight. And the young flight attendants, though not clearly as experienced, were very attentive. I would prefer a return of regular Air Canada service, but I did find Rouge an acceptable choice and with Calgary now being a year around connection and the addition of Vancouver, I am very pleased. These are short flights and the added comfort of domestic first class would be nice, but I for one can live without it.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  15 September 2014 by L Lloyd    (UK)

No leg room on the airbus A319 and not much more on B767 and I am only 5 foot 9 and my son 5 ft 5. Plane clean and staff pleasant but very narrow seats and as already said no leg room. Could not get the entertainment system to work on either laptop running window or tablet on android and the staff did let us have an ipad but this ran out of battery and the replacement froze more times so gave this up. On the return the weather made us late and they kept us informed but often a little late, ie say ground crew were finishing up loading luggage but the ground warning light had restarted flashing so they could not work whilst this was on so speeding up information would have helped. Overall wish I spent an extra a few pounds and gone with United or US Airways.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Barbara Bryan    (Barbados)

Air Canada, you have hit a new low, it's called Rouge. Worst flight to Barbados in many years. They may fool some with their flight attendants wearing cute trilby hats as passengers boarded, and with the cute pink headbands (my 5 year old grand daughter wears a similar one) while "attending" in flight, but we were not fooled. They cannot try to mimic Westjet service until they actually do the work to train staff to actually believe that their job is to make their customers feel secure, looked after and yes, catered to! If they plan to staff their Rouge plane for an international flight, it's a good idea to inform them of the entering countries landing document. When we asked for our landing cards, we were told that they would be handed out at 2.10 (we arrived in B'dos at 2.25). We told them that B'dos requires a landing doc for each person, not one per family, as she rudely tried to tell me, when I asked for 2 forms! Yikes! Immediately after the cards were handed out (one per family, except for us) they told us to prepare for landing, seats upright and tables closed - while everyone was still filling out their forms! After we landed, the customs officers were scrambling to get people to fill out their forms. Make sure you have your ipads charged if you want entertainment. The seat monitors are gone. You can rent an ipad for 10 Cdn. But they have no means of charging your device. Also, if you are taller than 5 feet and weigh more than 125 lbs, you won't fit. It's unfortunate that Air Canada has no idea what the repercussions are when bad service comes into play. But then again, they really don't care.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Jillian Nichols    (Canada)

I flew from Winnipeg to Cancun with Rouge in August. My husband and I took 23 guests on our wedding vacation. From the get-go, our entire wedding party had an awful experience. The flight from Toronto: in the beginning, we were frustrated that we didn't get certain things that were promised to us when we booked our wedding through Air Canada Vacations. We were supposed to receive a complimentary upgrade, which we did not (to make matters more frustrating, there was another wedding party on the same flight, of which the bride and groom were upgraded). They were also supposed to hang my dress on the plane, and when my mom asked they said there was no room. While this on its own was frustrating, the flight was delayed by about an hour. We were told to stay in our seats with our seatbelts fastened this entire time. We were travelling with our 9 month old daughter. When I got up to get her formula out of the overhead bin about halfway through this wait, I was rudely scolded by the flight attendant and told to sit down. She slammed the bin shut. Everything else about the experience is just how most people say - seats are jam packed with virtually no leg room, there is absolutely no in-flight entertainment and they only offer juice, water and pop (everything else you need to pay for). If I thought the flight there was bad, I don't even know what to call the flight home. After boarding the plane in Cancun, we sat on the tarmac for three hours while they tried to sort out mechanical issues. Again, travelling with a baby, this was a complete nightmare. During the entire wait, we were offered water twice. Eventually they told us we would be staying in Cancun. We disembarked and they put us in a small holding area with no air conditioning. We waited here for another three hours, without being offered any food or drink. When passengers started to get testy, they walked us through the airport to immigration. We waited and waited while all 200+ passengers went back through immigration and security. When we finally got outside and hopped on shuttles, the Air Canada Rep said, "the hotel is all-inclusive - go eat, drink." When we got to the hotel, they told us that Air Canada had not in fact paid for all-inclusive. We were only entitled to a meal and two non-alcoholic beverages. While this wasn't a huge deal, it just demonstrates the disorganization and lies that were the theme of our entire day. I will never travel with Air Canada Rouge again. The next morning at the airport, only some of our wedding guests were given connecting flights through to Winnipeg. Once we arrived in Toronto, we were sent home on three separate flights. On our flight, there were six guests. Three were offered a complimentary food item "for their trouble". Apparently the rest of us (including the bride and groom) were not on the "list". All in all, Air Canada Rouge turned our wedding vacation into a complete nightmare.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  15 September 2014 by S Barrett    (Canada)

Do not fly Air Rouge unless you are happy being canned in like a sardine. I could not reach under my seat without hitting my face on the seat in front of me, that is how tight the seats are packed and this is coming from a person who is practically 5 feet tall. I have always flown AC but now that I have flown my first Air Rouge flight it I feel cheated. The worst part is that this horrible flight was not a discounted flight, I paid $1000 for an overpriced flight from San Diego. All the lovely Air Canada amenities are gone - do not expect entertainment, instead expect to pay for an ipad that will be confiscated from you and hour prior to landing. Do not expect comfortable seats or leg room. Avoid flying Rouge at all costs!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  15 September 2014 by J Leighton    (UK)

I flew from Manchester (UK) to Toronto on Air Canada Rouge. Everything was OK apart from the leg room. I'm a bit over 6 foot tall, and my knees were jammed into the seat in front. For a long haul flight, this was intolerable; I will never fly with them again until they fix this. It was a shame, as everything else on the flight was better than I expected for the price - modern plane, smiling staff and reasonable food.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  10 September 2014 by S Chrisula    (Canada)

Flight AC1901, ATH to YYZ. Is there anything lower than one star? Absolutely embarrassing service lack of professionalism by not one but all staff. No entertainment system, no decent food, and you have to beg for a glass of water. It's really as if you are annoying the staff just by being there. Staff member observed yelling and screaming at passengers for disobeying the seatbelt sign. Awful airline with no positive comments.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  10 September 2014 by Rob Doyle    (New Zealand)

YYZ-LAS. On 27th August we were scheduled to travel from Toronto to Las Vegas on Air Canada Rouge with a 0850 departure time. On check in (at 06.50), the Air Canada Check In agent greeted us with "It is my pleasure to inform you this flight is delayed until 17.00". She did actually use the word "pleasure". So an over eight hour delay, no apology no explanation. The flight did not leave at 17.00, but 17.55 - a nine hour delay! We were to drive from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon in the afternoon. Instead we drove through the night, arriving at 02.00. Air Canada Rouge is a disgrace to call itself and Airline offering a service. In thirty years of travelling on numerous different Airlines, we have never experienced such poor service. You book via Air Canada, however end up on the Third Rate Rouge. Then you are offered a discount on a future flight. We do need to note that staff on the actual flight were very good. No issues. Also, previous Air Canada flights have not been a problem. We will never fly Air Canada Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  10 September 2014 by C Beeb    (USA)

I had the pleasant experience of traveling to Toronto from San Francisco on mainline AC and then from Toronto to Athens on AC Rouge and let me tell you, I would choose Rouge over mainline AC every single time. The flight attendants were fantastic, we were served drinks almost every hour, and we were given two meals which were just as good as the meals on any other airline. The in-flight entertainment app had the exact same movies/shows as the mainline flight and it worked perfectly fine. Did I mention that the flight attendants were extremely nice? The plane (Boeing 767) was clean and updated, but no charge ports anywhere in economy. We flew back to the states on Lufthansa and I was much more comfortable on our Rouge flight. For a discount airline (yes, discount. Our tickets were so cheap! I'm not sure where these other people are booking their flights), Rouge is great and I'll definitely be flying with them again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  10 September 2014 by B Jesse    (Canada)

Booked a vacation to Jamaica through Air Canada Vacation. The both Rouge flights were the worst experience. No room for legs, outdated video entertainment, narrow aisle between cramped 3x3 rows, all two washrooms at the end of the plane. According to CBC "Rouge seats on the Airbus 319-100 have 73.5 cm of pitch, compared with 79-89 cm on the same aircraft on a regular Air Canada flight" and that is true! Quite bad business decision Air Canada leadership made. I will make every effort not to fly with Rouge ever more, even if I have to change my trip destination.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  10 September 2014 by Michel Rail    (Canada)

I found the seats and spacing comfortable in coach. The design is minimalist. I understand that taking the wiring and screens out of the seats reduces the cost, weight and maintenance. My wife had an issue with the lack of ventilating port above the head. She was hot the entire flight. I was comfortable. I don't like the message Air Canada sends when they encourage a monopoly in their own aircraft by only supporting Apple devices. It doesn't take that much effort to create the applications for Android and BlackBerry. My frustration spans from the surprise I got taking a 5 hour flight with no entertainment. Had I known, I would have loaded a few movies on my Android tablet. This was last May and they said then that the Android app was coming. 5 months later, it is still not out.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  10 September 2014 by S Price    (Australia)

Premium Rouge

Thinking of flying Air Canada Rouge? Don't. Thinking about booking business class with Air Canada Rouge, believing it can't be all that bad? Don't. My partner and I flew in business class from Toronto to Las Vegas. Tickets cost $1600. We were seated in Premium Rouge for this exorbitant price. There were no business class seats, only economy seats with a spare seat in the middle. We were in the front row and could not even move the armrests or stretch our legs out fully. They even tried to get out of providing my partner with the amenities pack (which consists of a blanket, eyemask and ear plugs) by saying they would just give him the blanket only - he insisted on the full pack. Entertainment is via an iPad which lo and behold, business class passengers get for "free" while economy passengers have to pay $10 for the privilege. The iPad is useless. Cabin crew are young and try to be funky and upbeat. This falls pretty flat when you get on board and realise what awaits you. Never again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  10 September 2014 by I Kenyon    (Canada)

Last night I travelled back from Barbados to Toronto but was diverted to Montreal. I do have some very serious questions though based on my experience. 1) Why was there no-one from AC to guide the passengers from the Barbados flight to the new check in location. Many of the passengers were elderly Barbadians who would not be able to speak French. I have traveled a lot, can speak French and even I found the journey from immigration to check in very confusing. 2) Why are we then made to make our own bookings when we are already significantly inconvenienced? 3) When we try and make the booking why are we kept on hold for so long at 1am in the morning and why then was I put on hold, not once but twice for a total of an extra 25 minutes so it took a total of one hour to do what should have been a very simple process that usually takes 10 minutes maximum in the daytime. This is at a time when I should have been sleeping as I had to get up at 4.00am for a 6.00am domestic flight as the AC booking officer then told me I would have to go through the whole process of queuing up etc to get my ticket so should leave at least 2 hours. Just a very disappointing experience from a Brand with which I had much higher expectations.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Gary Hyde    (Canada)

After reading all the reviews I was very concerned about flying rouge - but I must say that we had a great flight from Rome to Montreal on August 31st. The crew were very friendly and helpful. The planes were old but very clean. There were more than enough Ipads for purchase at $10 for inflght entertainment. For me the hospitality of the crew is very important and it was nice to be treated well.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 September 2014 by C Verkuyl    (Canada)

Terrible experience flying AC Rouge last week. Delayed 5+ hours on my Toronto-Las Vegas flight (due to mechanical issues, no notification until arrival at the airport, 2 hrs in advance of the flight time so a total of 7h spent idle) then delayed 10+ hours on return flight 2 days later, no reason given. On the first flight, by the time the food cart reached Aisle 40 there was little left and on the second, there was no food cart, period. People boarded with more than one carry on bag, limiting the overhead space available for everyone - the crew worked very hard to find space for everyone, anywhere onboard and should be commended for their hard work and cheerfulness - and the in-flight entertainment selection was dismal. Load up your iPad/phone before you go. I will never travel Rouge again, if it can be helped. Very disappointing experience.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 September 2014 by T Josh    (Canada)

AC1830 on August 13, AC1831 on August 20. I was quite nervous about flying with Rouge, given all the negative things I have heard from friends and family. My flight to my destination was uneventful - on time, boarding was easy, staff were friendly and I lucked out in that nobody was in the middle seat, so I was able to stretch my legs, given the compressed seating, this was a major plus. The flight home was overbooked, which although did not impact me, is frustrating to have to deal with. The entertainment options are extremely limited - very few movies and episodes of TV shows. Staff were friendly and helpful, no complaints there. Given my flight was short - just over five hours - it was a good experience. I wouldn't be comfortable flying with them on longer flights because of the lack of space. All in all, they got me where I needed to go and that's all that matters.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Jean Berube    (Canada)

AC1906, YYZ to VCE on Sat 30 Aug 2014. Booked ticket 8 months in advance: No inflight entertainment system, not at all, not even the old TV screen on the upperhead. You need an iPad to download a specific application to use the inflight system and iPad alone, because they do not sponsor Galaxy. Seats are small with tight leg space (flew a 767-300). What can we say about the flight attendants with their grey hats - who designed this? Flying rouge is like going back in time when flying Air Transat 15 years ago.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 September 2014 by K Barber    (Canada)

My wife and I recently flew from Toronto to Phoenix with Rouge. It all started at the airport when they did not have a flight attendant show up so no one could board for over an hour. I am only 5'9" but found my knees up in my chest during the 4 hour flight and very uncomfortable. Never fly with Rouge.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Marc Lapointe    (Canada)

I return from LAX to YVR with Air Canada Rouge. I'm 6'2". There is no legroom. I had my knees against the front seat and my lower back pressured against my seat the entire flight. Extremely uncomfortable and unmanageable. My knees were half way through my neighbours seats. I have always flown Air Canada to have legroom. This time is now over and they now have lost a long time client. I have flown with low cost carriers in Asia and you expect what you pay for. Here, you get less for the same price as before.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 September 2014 by J Viciana    (Canada)

I had AC Rouge for the return flight of my itinerary (BCN to YUL), and was dreading the 8 hour return trip based on the reviews I read here. I was pleasantly surprised, perhaps due to my own lowered expectations and was compelled to write this review as I don't think this airline is getting a fair shake. The plane itself was clean and in good condition, and the crew was friendly, courteous, and helpful. The flight offered meal service, which was no better/worse than any other airline I've flown. Regarding the leg room, I found no difference between AC Rouge and coach class on other airlines. By comparison, I've flown transatlantic on Air Transat, Air France, and United, and frequently use AC main line within North America. If there is a difference, it's negligible. Overall, I'd say the leg room was "industry standard". For instance, during this same vacation, I took a short haul flight with Vueling which I would say had "no leg room". Regarding inflight entertainment, I consider this a non-issue. Yes, there is no inflight entertainment other than the movies shown on the main cabin screens. However, in this day and age of smartphones and tablets, I was more than satisfied to watch movies of my choice on my phone. The only thing that would've been nice would be to have had USB chargers for devices (my daughters tablet ran out of battery 3/4 way through the flight). Ultimately, my first priority is reaching my destination safely, and for this reason alone I tend to gravitate towards Air Canada. Factor in the competitive pricing, and I'm likely to fly with Rouge again at some point.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Callaghan Ron    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

AC1752, July 31 2014 and AC1753, Aug 7 2014. I have never been so disappointed by an airline! I paid what I thought was business class and found it to be cattle class. Nothing and I mean nothing provided. I will avoid Air Canada vacations if this is their primary carrier! I now have to book a trip to San Diego . Last time it was air Canada and it was business class. Now they dump it to Rouge and they have the nerve to call this business class? Same price without any service. They should be ashamed to call this anything but cattle air. Bring drinks and real food with you! Just fly with them once and you will see!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Boardman Katherine    (UK)

Before booking our flights to Canada we debated between Virgin (our usual airline to the US) or Air Canada. Our agent told us that although Virgin were better Air Canada would be fine with similar legroom, entertainment, food etc. this was last year before anyone in the UK had heard of Rouge. The seats only recline one inch, the person behind me who was just average height had his knees in my back the whole journey, there are no air vents above the seats and the entertainment is shocking. For an airline to introduce a new service which is in effect a transatlantic budget airline but still with Air Canada prices is absolutely appalling.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 September 2014 by S Marotta    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

LIS-YYZ. Poor communication, embarrassing service and a disappointing lack of even a modicum of care about their passengers seems to be how this airline operates. Flight got cancelled in the middle of the night. We received just a text (and not even an email) to a link with our updated flight "status." Essentially, we had two options: stay in a hotel organized by the airline or go on your own and hope to be reimbursed. We were told that we would be rebooked on a flight 21 hours later. After the most unbelievable line at check in (one person said he had been waiting for 2 hours. Note that we were the only AC flight going out that day), we checked our boarding passes to see that we were actually delayed again by another 2 hours, putting us 23 hours behind schedule. We didn't even get a text telling us this, so we woke up at 5 am for no reason. It's not really Air Canada - don't let the name fool you. No attempt to rebook us was made, like a normal airline. I once flew American Airlines, not exactly known for its service, and had a flight cancelled, only to be rebooked (ironically) on Air Canada. Don't expect that decency from Rouge. I will never, ever take this airline again. I'm a proud Canadian but I'll be looking elsewhere. These reviews are awful for a reason. Watch out.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Bobby Giannakopoulos    (Canada)

YUL-YYZ on Air Canada Express, YYZ-LAS on Air Canada Rouge. All the flights went smooth and on time from take off to landing. I knew what to expect when I purchased the ticket on Air Canada Rouge. There's no entertainment, unless you have an Apple device (such as Ipad) and have download their application and be aware there's no charging ports on board. The flight crew was fine nothing special you have to purchase for meals. Overall it's pretty much the same service on a normal Air Canada flight but with less legroom, even in the emergency exists the legroom is not a lot. Overall you get what you paid for on Air Canada Rouge which is fine but don't expect a super service and lots of legroom, unless you fly in Premium class.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 September 2014 by J Smith    (Canada)

Toronto to Barcelona return in early August. Worst overseas flight I have taken. When I compare Air Canada Rouge to regular Air Canada, it's like night and day. The seats on Rouge are very uncomfortable and cramped. Inflight entertainment is barely acceptable. In order to access it, you have to own an iPad or rent one on board. The movies are old and out of date. On the return flight from Barcelona to Toronto, there was garbage (including used napkins and food) from the previous flight still lying on the ground when we boarded. It was filthy. One of the bathrooms was out of service for the nearly 9 hour flight from Barcelona to Toronto. Every time the seatbelt sign turned off when there wasn't turbulence, people rushed to the bathrooms that actually worked. Flight attendants seemed very young and inexperienced. I will try to avoid Air Canada Rouge in the future. They charge the same airfare as Air Canada regular, except you're getting an inferior service.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 September 2014 by C Nakahara    (Canada)

Flew Rouge Flight AC1836 from Phoenix to Toronto on Aug 26, 2014. The worst flight ever! Felt crammed in our seats with no leg room. I am 5'6" and am glad that I was not taller. Could not stretch my legs during the flight and felt the knees of the person sitting behind me most of the flight. I do not understand why we have to rent an iPad for onboard entertainment when a regular Air Canada flight has a touch screen in the seat back directly in front of you. Certainly not the same as a regular Air Canada flight. I will avoid flying Rouge in any way, even taking connecting flights, or changing my destination so that I will not be on a Rouge flight. Unfortunately, Air Canada Rouge is the only option for direct flights for certain destinations. If a discount airline was truly an optional airline, then why don't they also offer regular Air Canada flights to these same destinations. Rouge is every bit a discount airline without the discount price. Avoid Rouge! If Air Canada wants a discount airline, they can offer Rouge with more leg room. At least you know ahead of time that you are getting screwed! I will fly anyone else to avoid Rouge.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Marvin Henschel    (Canada)

Our family traveled from Vancouver to Los Angeles with Air Canada Rouge last week. We found the staff to be the nicest flight staff by far from all airlines we have travelled with before. We have flown multiple times with US Airways, Air Canada and West Jet, we found that Rouge was the friendliest by far. An example what the staff did for us if that they saw that we traveled with an infant, the flight was completely full, however the flight attendants get 3 reserved seats at the very back of the plane for them to rest, they gave up this entire row so my daughter could sleep laying down on 2 seats and myself beside her. I usually don't write comments online but I see people always writing poor comments online, I want people to read this and see that the staff do everything to make the flight the best for the passengers, the seats are more tight however their service makes it worthwhile for me to fly with them again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Worby Michelle    (Canada)

I have travelled Rouge last month and if I had a choice as to who to fly with I would never pick Rouge, the seats are crowded. No entertainment available, except at an extra cost. Absolutely disappointed with this flight, we travel Air Canada all the time as we travel to Arizona at least 3-4 times a year with Air Canada and have never had a problem, I travelled this time and it was terrible.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 September 2014 by R Staebler    (Canada)

I recently booked a flight on the Air Canada website from Toronto to Barcelona and back. Air Canada "Rouge" seemed marginally cheaper, so I went with that. Nowhere in the booking process was there any warning that "Rouge" is essentially AC's version of Air Transat at AC prices: they've ripped out all the seats with entertainment systems and replaced them with pre-1970 style seats, decreased the seat spacing, and if you want a beer or glass of wine, you have to pay through the nose. It would have been nice to have some indication of this in advance! On top of that, the service was slow and terrible. Whoever in AC management thought that creating something as sub-par as Rouge was a wise business decision needs to have their head examined. This will do irreparable damage to AC's already sliding reputation.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 September 2014 by J DelGiudice    (USA)

I booked my flight from Rome to Los Angeles with Air Canada, which I have flown with before and enjoyed. It was not until I received my booking confirmation that I realized that the first leg of the trip (Rome to Montreal) was with Rouge and the second leg (Montreal to LA) was with regular AC. After having already committed, I checked the reviews for Rouge and became startled. All of the negative comments had me dreading the trip. It is a long flight, and to be cramped would suck. Much to my surprise and pleasure, the seats were fine! Of course I have noticed that most of the negative reviews were for Airbus planes and we flew on a 767, but the seats were identical to the regular AC flight we took on our second leg. There was plenty of leg room. In fact, there was more leg room on the Rouge flight than on the Lufthansa flight we took getting there. The seats were plenty wide. The staff were a little young, but nice and cheerful. The food was great and plenty of it. I read so many bad things about the lack of inflight entertainment, but then they played two recently released movies on the cabin televisions, more than I got on my last American Airlines flight going the same route. Overall, it was a great flight and experience. In fact, it was much better than the second leg we flew on regular AC, in that the staff sucked on the AC flight and they charged for snacks and food. The only thing better was the in flight entertainment was in the headrests, which is always great. Bottom line, I would definitely fly Rouge again and would recommend to friends.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Bishop Steve    (UK)

They get an overall rating of 2/10 because I at least got to my destination (Edinburgh - Vancouver, return) in the end, and the air hostesses were very pleasant and friendly. However, positives then stop. Inflight entertainment has to be purchased (unless you have an appropriate mobile device on you), 4.5 hour flight from Toronto-Vancouver requires purchase of food, and the was a huge overbooking problem with truly abysmal ground staff help. From Vancouver to Toronto I was put on standby for no apparent reason, despite having an international connection in Toronto and checking in hours in advance. The Air Canada help desk was totally inadequate (1 person only for a long queue, although she was pleasant - maybe because unfairly inconvenienced people were being exceptionally polite to her, despite having massive delays enforced upon them), and the staff at the gate were unacceptably rude. For example, a couple with a baby who had checked in 2.5 hours in advance were rudely told that their failure to get a seat was entirely their fault as they should have checked in even sooner. No apology for what struck me as breach of contract by Air Canada. I eventually did get on my planned flight, but in a very negative state of mind.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 August 2014 by J Gulliver    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Flew from Toronto to Rome (Connecting through Montreal), on August 15, 2014. I decided to spend the extra $$ and book a "Premium Rouge" seat. I am 6'3" and normally try and book the "Preferred Seating" on mainline AC for all my flights, just to have the leg/knee room. Flying from YYZ-YUL, was mainline AC and I upgraded the day of to Business Class. I think this gave me a false sense of hope for the Rouge portion of the trip. First off, the plane (767-300), was disgusting. The plane must have been at least 20-25 years old. It was dirty as can be, with seats falling apart in the Premium Rouge cabin. In terms of leg/knee room. It was virtually the same as North American Business Class on mainline AC, so more than enough room, with decent recline for an over-night flight. Nowhere near the quality of the Pod seats, but let's be realistic, I paid substantially less for this flight, as compared to mainline AC Executive First. Second, the staff, as described by many others, were very friendly, young and enthusiastic, however that's where the positive reviews end. It took them over 2 hours to serve the first meal/drink service (there were only 5 people in Premium Rouge cabin) and they were very inattentive. The crew gave me the sense that they were not in control of the flight's service whatsoever. Always seemed un-organized and the so called "Dedicated lead Rouge crew" for Premium Rouge were non-existent. I did not speak to the same flight attendant more than once. All-in-all this was the worst flight experience I have ever had, and I'm saying this knowing full-well what the reviews on Rouge are. I will avoid Rouge at all costs.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 August 2014 by A Janitens    (USA)

Just had the worst experience on an aircraft, and will never fly Air Canada Rouge again. Flew 8 hours to Venice (9 back). Absolutely no leg room (if you're 5'8' or taller). Seats only go back an inch or two (but then again-that's because there is no leg room). No overhead controls for air. Also took 20 minutes for an attendant to answer our call button. Our movies cut out 6 times. Had to restart and judge where we'd left off. Absolutely dreaded our return flight. Never again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Savage Alison    (Canada)

YYZ-MCO. Absolutely terrible leg room! This seems to be a recurring issue based upon the multiple reviews below. Listen up Air Canada, your customers are giving you vital feedback but you appear to be doing nothing about it! Won't be flying Rouge again until something is done about this problem. Smarten up as we have other choices.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 August 2014 by J Pritchit    (Canada)

Do you prefer quality or cheap pricing? (Vancouver - Maui). My parents, brother, and myself flew to Maui on February 13. Our flight was supposed to leave at 6.20, but we were delayed for 2.5 hours! Once we boarded we then found out that there were mechanical issues, so we had to de-board the Boeing 767-300/ER. Another 2 hours later, and we were finally off to Maui. The flight wasn't anything to write home about - what you would expect from a "low budget" airline. But, what was upsetting is that we did not arrive in Maui until around 4.30-5 in the morning. We had to wait 3 hours until the car rental places opened up. I would not recommend Air Canada Rouge to any Canadians that are planning on going to Hawaii this fall or winter. Take Alaska Airlines or Hawaiian out of either Seattle or Portland. You definitely know what you are getting from those two airlines.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Linda Revels    (Canada)

No seat back entertainment for transatlantic flight Toronto to Dublin, yes I know you can have your personal electronic and download app, but with three kids - nice/need to have hands free! Seats as hard as the road, no leg room, and when I asked flight attendant to ask the person in front to put their seat upright just for the meal service, I was told, no you have to ask them. Shirking the responsibility or what? Instead of fancy ridiculous looking uniforms, that probably cost a fortune, what about spending it on the very outdated 767!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 August 2014 by J Caru    (Canada)

Flew back from Rome to Montreal (9 hour plus flight) plus had a one hour delay Have been spoiled by the regular Air Canada flights (elite status). Had read emails about the "Rouge" experience from others, well Air Canada has embarked on a journey to destroy their brand which took many years of solid service to develop. Forget the direct flights with Rouge, take the alternatives. My next trip to Europe will be with Lufthansa. Nice to have had the chance to catch up on old movies - due to lack of choice!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 August 2014 by P Rose    (UK)

Premium Rouge

Flew Manchester UK to Toronto, 6/8/2014 - returned 22/8/2014. Chose them because they had a good name, did not realise it was not Air Canada and secondly price. Really good price for this time of year. The cabin crew were young, I like their trendy uniform. I think the return journey crew were better than the outbound, only because going they were asked questions about travel connections and should the passenger pick up their luggage or would it be transferred, they did not know the answer. Also I think the return journey at night is easier for the crew because people sleep. I found the crew very attentive and very friendly, they did not forgot requests from passengers. The downside of the flight - no duty free, I did not realise this on my outward journey. The inflight entertainment, I had read you could purchase a tablet for $10 which I did on my outward journey - the tablet kept freezing whilst I watched a film. I think it took me 3 hrs to watch the film. Other passengers also had problems. I did not purchase the tablet on the return journey but the same thing happened, but they made an announcement that they rebuffed the machine and I think that did work but they didn't do this on the outward journey. The food was ok although I am not a fan of airline food and would of preferred a salad or a sandwich. These days it is hard for crew with food requirements, there were a lot of different diets and it was not made easy when the passengers moved seats but they handled it very well. I would definitely travel with this airline again. My seats were fine, I had leg room. Yes it is no frills but not everyone can afford luxury travel and also don't always rely on bad reviews. I was surprised how good my flights were.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  27 August 2014 by C Brandon    (Canada)

I am a seasoned business traveller. I've flown just about every week for the past three years, mostly on Star Alliance partner airlines, and very regularly with Air Canada. I flew Air Canada Rouge from Las Vegas to Toronto and was completely and wholly dissatisfied with my experience. I'm a big guy (6'2), but by no means a giant. I could not even come close to fitting my legs straight in my seat. I had to sit with my legs bent for a 4 hour+ flight and am still feeling it in my knees and back two days after the flight. The plane was sweltering hot - I witnessed at least a dozen different passengers complain about how warm it was, only to have the flight attendants tell us that the temperature could not be controlled by them (obviously a lie). And despite being a red eye, the plane flew with significant cabin lighting on. I've flown many red eye's before and have never seen such a bright cabin. I know Air Canada will respond with some ridiculous template message that there is an option for preferred/first class seating with more leg room, but in this case the flight was full and a first class upgrade was going to cost me over $200. I will make it my personal mission to never fly Air Canada Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Joy Caley    (Isle of Man)

Dublin - Toronto return. After all the bad reviews I've read about Rouge, I was quite apprehensive when the holiday started. We were pleasantly surprised that our trip turned out to be one of the best, yet. The seats we were given were the middle seats, no 15, and my son and I discovered that there was a USB charger. And because I prepared for our trip, we were armed with our ipads complete with the apps. We also noticed that our seats had bigger leg room, unfortunately, the ones behind us had less. Why this is, I don't know. Did we pay a bit more so that we were afforded this comfort? We were also assigned no 13 seats on our return flight so we were anticipating a comfortable ride, but we were fortunately upgraded to premium Rouge so it was even so much better! Can't explain this either, but I'm not complaining! Food was not the best, but reasonable, the premium rouge was not that much better, but was ok. Drinks were constantly offered in our outbound journey, no alcohol, though. In premium, alcohol was free, but it was the cheap kind. Nothing different from what other airlines offer. Air hostesses and stewards friendly and helpful, the toilets were relatively clean, so nothing to complain about, really! Check in both ways were easy, boarding was ok. The plane was late 1 hr coming back, but we had a 6 hr wait for our connection, so no worries there! I'll fly Rouge anytime, but maybe pay the high(ish) fare?

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Dallaire Pier-Luc    (Canada)

AC 1920, August 4th, YUL-FCO. AC 1921, August 18th, FCO-YUL. Probably the worst airline I have ever flown with. What a disappointment! Nothing is up to date, old aircraft with no leg room. The application for personal entertainment kept on crashing. Worst food ever. Never again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Allan Kawakami    (USA)

Star Alliance Gold Million Miler. I recently flew from Los Angeles to Montreal on Air Canada, connecting to my Rome flight on Rouge. I must tell you, I was terrified to fly Rouge after reading all the reviews. I was seated in Row 27 directly behind the Exit Row with 2 seats next to the window. I will start by saying that the experience on Rouge was good and comparable to other airlines in Coach Cabin (not preferred Seating or Economy plus). The recline was average and leg room fine, I am 5'7' and was able to stretch my leg under the seat. The flight was full and the crew did a nice job with meal and drink service. I would definitely flew them again, not my first choice, but will fly them again if necessary. They did recognize my Star Alliance status and early boarding.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  27 August 2014 by S Chartrand    (Canada)

I can understand Air Canada trying to compete with other lower cost carriers, but with their Airbus planes used by Rouge I think they have gone too far. Last week I flew from Toronto to Montego Bay with Rouge (Airbus) and 2 days ago the return flight with the same plane. The seat pitch is far to small, I am 5 ft 8 in and my knees had only about 1 inch of clearance and the seat cushions don't have the density to cushion anything. There is a huge difference between Rouge and regular Air Canada flights. I would not recommend Rouge simply due to the uncomfortable seats and the lack of legroom.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  27 August 2014 by M Atkinson    (Canada)

Flight was Ok, seats seem even smaller, my knees hit the seat in front of me. Entertainment system still does not support android devices - very disappointing.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Peter Riga    (Canada)

My family and I flew Air Canada Rouge from Toronto to Athens Aug 5th and back Aug 21st. I was satisfied with the flight and service. Rouge is a discount airline. That means slightly smaller seats, less leg room and paying extra for anything beyond the basics (like liquor). Rouge delivered value for what I paid. The staff are young, pleasant and did a good job. The inflight entertainment worked well. The fact that you need to bring your own device was communicated to us twice by the airline prior to departure and there are plugs to charged your devices on the flight. The food was as good as any economy class food that I've had.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  27 August 2014 by D Sinclair    (Canada)

AC 1854, 13 Aug 2014, LAS-YYZ. Rouge is an intentional cheat by Air Canada management. This masquerade - selling Rouge under the guise of normal AC is criminal. You don't even know it's Rouge at time of booking. No difference in fare from normal AC. Aircraft (A319) is fine. Staff are fine. Issue is seats and legroom, even for smaller people. Would be OK for flights less than 2 hours, but to use for cross-Canada/US is absolute rubbish. Stand up, Air Canada, and don't even put the label Air Canada before Rouge. We know the game, and it's clear it's all about cheating the customer.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Karen Rudrud    (USA)

AC 1900, Toronto to Athens. July 31st. Such a disappointment! Terrible seats, minimal food, no free alcohol on overseas flights, no in seat entertainment and the crew looked very, very young. We paid far too much for this terrible flight.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  27 August 2014 by J Taylor    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

After 5 flights on Rouge, I will avoid them at all costs and fly any other alternative, most likely WJ from now on. All my rouge experiences have been on the lowly 319's and on YYC-LAS-YYC, but as so many others have stated, leg room is number 1 (I'm 6'2), uncomfortable seats (I can't understand how some reviewers say these are comfortable?), lack of any amenities. Cheerful and enthusiastic, but non-effective FA's, Very poor gate's at LAS (compared to WJ), etc. I've heard the 767's are marginally better (30" pitch vs 29" doesn't sound like anything wonderful), but at this point, I'm not willing to even try if that's an option in the future. AC, you've lost another LT customer.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 August 2014 by A Orzechowski    (USA)

I flew from Toronto (YYZ) to Venice (VCE) on the 767-300ER. Rouge is simple but still provided a pleasant flight. Leg room not bad at all. Flight attendants were all female and young. Hot meal served but alcohol costs money. No video screens but who cares when you have a good-looking crew to look at.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 August 2014 by M Lowe    (Canada)

I knowingly booked on AC Rouge YVR-SFO because that's the only flight which worked with my schedule. Flight was delayed one hour but that's due to SFO runway construction/inbound restrictions. We were kept updated so no complaints there. In all fairness, the in-flight service was no better or worse than any mainline AC short-haul service (that is, serviceable without wow factor.) Where they really fall down is the lack of legroom. 29" pitch felt rather claustrophobic and I'm not even tall. Be warned if you're anything over 5'5". I did appreciate one of the pilots standing by the door thanking passengers upon disembarking. All in all, for an 1 hr 50 flight it really was quite okay and I'd do the same flight with AC Rouge in the future. Any longer I don't think I'll ever go for based on seat discomfort alone. P.S. we were only offered a small cup of juice/pop/water, but for such a short flight I really don't give a toss.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 August 2014 by J Billingham    (USA)

Flew Toronto to Punta Cana. I booked using Air Canada vacations on mistaken assumption that this would afford me a better seat due to star alliance status. Of my 1 million miles flown, most international, this is my first user review and this flight was the worst seat with the worst legroom that I have ever experienced. Plus, the wonderful person in front of me reclined throughout all the time airborne. I guess buyer beware and I should have researched the airline before but I do feel scammed by AC and won't be flying them again any time soon.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 August 2014 by G Kaluzny    (Canada)

I was expecting an Air Canada flight with the same service I have been used to over the years only to find out at the last minute I was on a Rouge flight. I paid the same price as an Air Canada flight but ended up with Rouge. Just when I was expecting a Calgary - Vegas nice comfortable flight I ended up with this expensive bait and switch. Now if I paid a third less cost for my flight, then it would be no issue.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 August 2014 by James Gadd    (UK)

YYZ-MCO. This is basically a budget airline, so with that in mind it wasn't bad. My main criticism was the terrible legroom - I would suggest they fix the seats in the upright position as the European budget carriers do, because when someone reclines it really is very uncomfortable.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Angelo Comazzetto    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Flight 1899 on May 9th. The airline might be marketing this as low cost, but it is certainly low cost for them and not the passengers. I got "rouged" on a "business" flight from Las Vegas and thought for a second I was on Ryanair or Air Berlin. In business, they took the Lufthansa short haul idea of simply blocking the economy seat off next to you. The flight attendant told me after we took off that I would need an app on my phone (how can I get that in flight?) and then halfway through the flight offered me an iPad to use after I complained this was pretty silly. It wasn't cheaper, it wasn't good, it was all around terrible. I guess it helps AC make their sales number, but it sure doesn't help the passengers in any way. Maybe if it was 50% less than what it is now, it might be worth a look. Steer clear!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 August 2014 by G Wernicke    (Canada)

6 August, YUL-YYZ (AC 835), YYZ-SAN (AC-Rouge 1887). 12 August, SAN-YYZ (AC-Rouge Business 1886), YYZ-YUL (AC 834). One of the worst flights that I have taken - absolutely no leg room, an entertainment selection that malfunctioned on two flights and shockingly unprofessional service. The worst business class in the industry. The only thing that is low cost about Rouge is the service and comfort.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 August 2014 by Jones Desray    (Barbados)

Travelled to Canada from Barbados on July 30th, didn't have a clue that it would not be an Air Canada flight until couple days before departure, when I received an email on this issue. There is no inflight entertainment unless you rent a iPad for CDN$10, the movies are not that up to date either. In the email your are told that if you have an APPLE device, (iPad,iPhone,iPod) you can go on the app store and download the Rouge app with will allow you to watch the movies on your device. All I can say is what a plug for APPLE. Legroom in economy is poor and the seat is uncomfortable. I booked on Air Canada not Rouge and felt cheated especially as I was travelling with an elderly person and a child. Air Canada needs to inform the public upfront and not after tickets are purchased. I have no expectations that our return flight home will be any different.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 August 2014 by T Lockyer    (Canada)

Flight and crew on flight to/from Toronto to Dublin was very good. Confused though since provided wine free on flight to Dublin but charged on the return leg. Seat was broken (would not lock in upright position). Biggest complaint / issue is that Airline allows carry on baggage regardless of size which jammed up overhead storage. One case had to be removed to close bin and was stored by crew in the back. This should be enforced for comfort of all.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 August 2014 by Martin Calver    (UK)

We travelled from Manchester to Las Vegas, via Toronto with Rouge. The flight was 3 hours late leaving Manchester, and the organisation at Manchester was dreadful. The crew were very kind and understanding, but the food was poor and left a lot to be desired. The onward flight to Vegas was fine. The return flight from San Francisco was good but the flight to Manchester was again delayed by 3 hours. We then were informed that two passengers had refused to fly, and we had a to wait another 90 minutes while bags were unloaded. It all seemed so laid back. Don't think we will repeat the experience, rather go via Heathrow.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 August 2014 by P Schaller    (Canada)

We flew to Orlando from Montreal last February. The seats had very little padding. It was very uncomfortable. The distance between seats was very little causing great discomfort when the seat in front was pushed back. I had to push it forward to get out of the seat. Entertainment was non existent unless you wanted to pay. We took our own food because of previous experience. All in all, we would not fly Rouge again. We only fly Air Canada because we have very few options.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 August 2014 by D Kemp    (Canada)

When flight was booked we were not told it was Air Canada Rouge and did not find out until we selected seats. Legroom was totally inadequate. I am 6" tall and could not sit with my legs straight forward. I had to angle my legs to fit and that was very uncomfortable for a short flight (2+hrs) let alone if we had been on a long flight. Like most economy flights the service and amenities were non-existent. The least they could do is give you a comfortable seat with decent legroom!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 August 2014 by J Kassner    (Canada)

Montreal to Las Vegas return. No legroom (I'm only 5'10", average height for a male, and my knees were constantly pressed up against seat in front of me). No entertainment on board. No food. Jam-packed plane where they've clearly stuffed in as many seats as possible. Couldn't sleep a lick as no room and seat reclines maybe 4 inches max. Everyone on the plane around us was also complaining of how uncomfortable this flight was. 5.5 hr flight and they made us pay $10 to rent an ipad off them if we wanted entertainment! Avoid at all costs. Not worth the small savings over regular Air Canada service.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  12 August 2014 by M Fischer    (Canada)

Do not take AC Rouge to Costa Rica! We did this last February (2014) and will never use them again. On our return trip to Toronto my husband had broken ribs and the crew did nothing to help make him comfortable. Every time I would ask for a pillow or something - I was basically ignored. They crew felt it better to stand up front and talk amongst themselves. They did not even help him to his seat since he was in a wheel-chair.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  12 August 2014 by P Vasilios    (Canada)

Toronto to Athens direct. Aug 6th, Air Canada 1900 (delayed 30 min from Toronto, arrived 10 min early in Athens) not bad. Value - $1600.00 CAN return each. Seat comfort - we brought our own travel blanket, pillow, mask, ear plugs. Made a difference but not much. Food and beverages - bring something to eat. Inflight entertainment - 50/50. Bring your own ipad, mp3, non apple products do not work on there system. Staff sevice - excellent crew, on the plane. The crew were polite, courteous and helpful. We (girlfriend and I) were very pleased with the customer service on the plane. Before departure it was good. A little rushed and panicked by the boarding crew. But not ... bad. Online check-in was nice, airport kiosk check-in was OK.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 August 2014 by B Scott    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

How valuable is your time? Return flight from Phoenix to Toronto departed almost twelve hours late. Mechanical difficulties. To their credit, they flew in a proper plane from Vancouver. Apparently Rouge is the nursing home for ageing AC aircraft. What really stunned me was when I checked in Air Canada desk staff basically said: 'It's a Rouge flight, if you don't like it, complain to Air Canada.' And, away we went. Will not fly Rouge again if there's any other choice. Even running on time it seems overpriced compared the quality of the experience.

1 2 3