Air Canada rouge Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Air Canada rouge
1.0 Star Rating: Very poor

1 2 3 4

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 April 2015 by S Mikuse    (Canada)

This was our first time flying with Air Canada Rouge (from Vancouver to Maui and return). We had read the reviews of Air Canada Rouge and they were so horrible that we were really apprehensive about flying with them. However, we did not experience many of the bad things other people seem to have experienced. One of us has a mobility disability and we had excellent service from the staff in the airport who met us with a cart and took us through from one end to the other. The plane was a half hour late leaving Vancouver as we were waiting for some passengers coming from a connecting flight that was late. Our take off on the way home was, however, right on time. The plane was clean. The staff were young but they were friendly and attentive on both flights. The food wasn't great but it was adequate. We rented an ipad and watched a movie on the flight to Maui, the entertainment was adequate. We only had two complaints: Firstly, the communication over the intercom was poor quality and the information was relayed so quickly we could not understand a word they were saying. Secondly, the seats were extremely uncomfortable. There was virtually no space between our knees and the seats in front of us. Our seats were also very narrow. This total lack of legroom makes for an uncomfortable flight, especially on an all-night flight when you are trying to sleep. We would recommend Air Canada Rouge to others as it is more affordable, but we would qualify our recommendation with the above pros and cons.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 April 2015 by D Oliver    (Canada)

Have flown Rouge several times. The biggest issue in my opinion is seat pitch. I have been in Rouge and Rouge Plus. I won't fly with them if Rouge Plus is not available (only six seats on an A319). It also means they aren't much of a discount carrier if you have to add $40+ per seat in addition to the already higher fares. I am based in Halifax so a connection is the norm for me anyway. This makes the US carriers more attractive. Increase the seat pitch and a lot of the complaining will go away.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  25 April 2015 by Rifai Rana    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

We flew rouge from YUL to Las Vegas on April 19th 2015 (flight 1855) and I was pleasantly surprised. Plane left late but not too bad and crew was wonderful. I would have recommended it to anyone but on the way back April 23rd (flight 1856), it was a scene from a high school musical. The flight attendants could not have been more self absorbed teenagers. Worst on board service in my 47 years of flying. They were talking in the back for 4.5 hours. I couldn't even get a glass of water. Air Canada Rouge should have 1 older flight attendant that can get them to do some work.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 April 2015 by M Tremblay    (Canada)

When we booked our flight it said nothing about it being Rouge as opposed to Air Canada. Needless to say we were extremely disappointed when we found out as we opted not to pack our Ipad and it's the only way to access inflight entertainment without paying. Our family's seat assignment on the way had one of us in front of the bulk head while the other three of us were behind it (which was not so bad). Even worse - almost everyone on the flight back was given seats one behind the other. Our 6 year old was given a seat by herself! Everyone in the plane had to jockey their seats to be with the people they were actually traveling with. Ridiculous to say the least. This is not the first time we fly AC Rouge (both economy and premium economy) and none of the experiences have been great. It's not the staff as they are very friendly and accommodating, its the actual aircraft. Terrible!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  20 April 2015 by Gary Bizeau    (Canada)

Ranked one of the worst airlines in the world, easy to see why. I've flown Rouge once and I'll never do it again. 29" seat pitch (distance from seat to seat, front to back) caused serious pain for myself and several other average-sized men on the plane. I can't imagine what would happen to someone who's actually tall. Talking to the Flight Attendants, even they hate being on these planes, as they put it "it's a non-stop stream of unhappy passengers". Avoid Rouge at all costs.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  20 April 2015 by J Jones    (UK)

AC 1892, 22/1/15. AC 1891, 26/1/15. Had to sit sideways with my legs in the aisle for a 3 hour flight from Toronto to Tampa. If I hadn't had an aisle seat I would have had to get off, I just didn't fit. I'll never fly them again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  20 April 2015 by R Proulx    (Canada)

We were on Air Canada Rouge flight from Toronto to Cuba and return flight was same. We are very disappointed with our flight experience with Rouge. No leg room, no complimentary meals or beverages. Staff did their best to keep customers well served. There is more leg room in the Dash 8 that we took from Toronto to Timmins than the 319 we had from Toronto to Cuba. In the Future will make every effort to book with other airlines instead of with Rouge.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 April 2015 by John Devries    (Canada)

We were put on the AC1845 booked through Expedia the portion from Whitehorse to Vancouver was fine then AC Rouge to Phoenix made me think twice about ever flying again. On return we flew United to SFO great plane lots of leg room comfortable. SFO to Vancouver was a nightmare my knees still hurt and while I have never been an AC fan Rouge was the final straw. Nice looking uniforms does not a comfortable flight make. We were cramped no room for carry on. Almost claustrophobic, temp hot, seat lumpy and wedged between back and my knees. I am 6.1 could barely stand up after flight. I like the configuration United had 1st class then a number of rows with more space a number of rows with less leg room and then standard economy for the little people. I would be happy to pay a little more for the extra leg room or I may just drive the next time.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  15 April 2015 by R Price    (Canada)

I flew Air Canada Rouge Toronto to Phoenix. I'm 5' 11 and had no legroom at all, legs were tight for two days after. On the way back I upgraded my seat to row 4, right behind 'first class' get more room. Room was a bit better for and extra $40, but the flight attendant in first class was unbelievable. 5 of 18 seats were empty, but she would not allow for anyone to take a pillow for use - this was a red eye flight. She actually reached over the seat from empty row 3 and pulled it from the window seat passenger and then woke up his wife to take the one she was using. Then she was rude about it when asked why. Inflight entertainment was awful- besides inconsistent connection- many had it reset several times- the content was bad. Bad leg room, bad service and bad inflight entertainment. I'll never fly Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 April 2015 by Hugh Evans    (Canada)

YUL-HOG, HOG-YUL, 4/11 Apr 2015. We flew this leg same time last year (2014) and that flight was a "real" Air Canada flight, not Rouge. This flight was a shock. I am 6'5" so used to being a bit cramped on aircraft, but ACR take it to a new level. The leg room is appalling, I read about going long-haul to Edinburgh on this airline and would not consider it, as 4 hours to Cuba was more than enough. The inflight entertainment was a waste of time, the meals offered seemed pretty poor, but the worse of all of this flight was the seating comfort. Future flights to Cuba will be with WestJet - AC have lost me as a frequent flier, if this kind of cost cutting is their "new" business method.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 April 2015 by R Couture    (USA)

March 27, AC1794. Most uncomfortable trip I took. Would rather stay home than travel with Air Canada Rouge. I am only 5 feet 10 and I could not move in the plane. I had to get up many time just to stretch.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 April 2015 by L Rogan    (USA)

Flew AC Rogue from Toronto to HNL round trip first of April, 2015. The flight was as good as any I have been on in the US (we are from the US) and otherwise. The seats were fine, the food for purchase good, the crew attentive and the service overall, good to great. Infight entertainment worked just fine and btw, there were pillows and blankets on every seat. Bathrooms fully operational and clean. I will fly Rogue anytime. The service is good and should take advantage of the prices. The price alone beat any of my US options by 300.00 pp.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 April 2015 by Geri Holden    (Canada)

We flew on Air Canada Rouge last month from Toronto to Phoenix return. While this was our first experience with Rouge, having had tremendous negative feedback about the very limited leg room, my husband and I decided to upgrade to preferred seating before we left on our trip. The preferred seating was better than the regular seating for sure. However, while we paid $160 extra to upgrade our seats, our boarding zone did not change. This meant that we boarded the aircraft last because our reservation was booked using points. When we actually did board the aircraft, the overhead bins near our row were all full. It seems reasonable to me that when a person upgrades to preferred seating at an additional cost, they should board right after business class passengers and before regular seating. Until Air Canada discontinues the practice of having passengers pay for their one checked bag, onboard storage space will continue to be a huge problem. When I paid extra to have preferred seating, I would have expected preferred service!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 April 2015 by Peter Leach    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

AC1825, 27/28 Mar, Las Vegas - Toronto. Very professional. For a low cost airline the service was out standing I was seated in the front cabin and the flight attendants where as good as I've had on any airline and better than most. They had enthusiasm.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 April 2015 by Carol Dunham    (Canada)

We have just returned from our eighth trip from Toronto to Grenada. This was our first trip on Rouge. The plane was the Airbus 319. The flights have left us scarred. There is no legroom and, on a 5.5 hour flight, no complimentary meal. We did download the Air Canada app for inflight entertainment but didn't find anything current or worth watching. This was our worst inflight experience ever! When I went online to understand the Rouge economy seat pitch (measurement of legroom) it does not mention it and I now understand why. There were 118 seats in the economy section and there may have been 5 empty seats at most based on what I saw. There were 2 stewardesses which I believe contravenes the 50 passengers to 1 stewardess legislation. Also there were only 2 toilets for the 2 crew in economy and all of the economy passengers. When a crew member had to wash their hands the washroom was the only place to do it. I would not call this "leisure" flying. Unfortunately for us this will be our last trip to Grenada unless the carrier changes or they re-fit the planes. Everyone at the resort we talked to was complaining about Rouge. The only positive thing I can say is the crew were very pleasant and helpful and I pity them because so many people were unhappy with the cramped quarters. Some men were actually sitting sideways for the entire flight because there was not enough legroom. Never again!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 April 2015 by P Irwin    (Canada)

Trip consisted of two flights, Winnipeg to Vancouver, and from Vancouver to Maui. The shorter flight from Winnipeg to Vancouver was onboard an Embraer 190. In economy, there was adequate room to sit, you could lower the table tray and if the person in front of you tilted their seat back it did not hit you in the face. The entertainment system, the same one that has been used by Air Canada for a number of years, provided a number of new or relatively new Hollywood movies. Once on the Rouge flight from Vancouver to Maui, that all changed. The plane was a 767-300 which they have crammed more seats in over the regular 767-300. The seats seem thinner and more upright. My knees were touching the back of the seat in front. They have moved away from providing screens in the seat back facing you, instead, you have to provide your own screen, a tablet, laptop, phone, etc. Then you have to make sure you have loaded their“app”to play any content. Movies, TV shows, etc are broadcast via wifi. The older system on the first plane had four times the selection. Unlike the older system which is available even before the flight takes off, this one was not online until about 40 minutes after we were in the air. On a flight that long, a single charge on a devices battery is not going to last. When checking in for the flight home, also Rouge from Maui to Vancouver, I opted to upgrade the seats to ones promoted as having more legroom. Seats in the emergency aisle were advertised as such. For addition $60 per seat I selected them. More legroom was a lie. These were the seats right behind the toilets, so, even though there was more space between my knees and the wall in front of me, there was nowhere to stretch my feet out whatsoever. There was no power outlet available. Being right by the toilets there was constant traffic and often unpleasant smells. I have been on overnight flights with Air Canada before a few times, and always in the past, to help make the passengers more comfortable and improve the odds of sleeping, pillows and blankets were offered. Well, on this Rouge flight, none were offered, and as the cabin did grow cooler, and I inquired about them, I was told that they were available for purchase! In all credit to the crew, they just gave me a small one. The crew were friendly and helpful, the plane itself looked long in the tooth. I have patronized Air Canada and chose them over other airlines for over 30 years, but will I continue to do so? With this kind of service, I don't think so.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 April 2015 by D Powa    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Flew YYZ to HNL round trip from on the 11th and 24th May. Came in with full expectations of the plane being a cramped mess with no power at the seats, iron bars sticking in my back, and basically no service. What we experienced was pretty much the opposite. Typical flight, knew about the entertainment so came prepared, had lots of food, power at the seats, decent service, no bar in the back. We upgraded to the extra leg room (premium?) seats and I know that made a difference for me. Ultimately the trip to and from HNL was a total non-event, just as it should have been. Based on the expectations we had coming in, they were wildly exceeded. Maybe we got lucky with a refurbished plane, but if this is the norm for AC Rouge, then the norm is just fine. They should still be discounted more if they are going to call themselves a discount carrier though. I won't hold my breath for that.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  7 April 2015 by Sandra Graff    (Canada)

We just completed round trip Toronto to Phoenix on AC Rouge - terrible! Seats are very small, service is minimal, boarding very slow because too much overhead baggage is allowed for first passengers on board. We stood in the jetway for more than 20 minutes waiting for staff to sort out baggage - unnecessary! Just enforce your own rules. A very poor alternative to reg. AC service. - bring it back please!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 April 2015 by V Kuffler    (Canada)

I did not know that our flight from Phoenix to Calgary was Rouge. I had been warned about it and was not impressed. I dropped something and was not able to pick up because there was no room. My husband's knees were pressing the seat in front. The flight attendants were serious. It was difficult for people to use their iPads. Not a pleasant experience and will not use it again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 April 2015 by Linkletter Gary    (Canada)

Flew San Diego - Toronto route on Rouge. When I got in my seat literally had to get claustrophobia under control, and I am not normally claustrophobic. Took out my laptop to watch a movie, and the person ahead put their seat back and in the process almost wrecked the computer screen. Absolutely no room for a computer. There was no room for my legs, had to sit with them crosswise. Measured the distance between seats, the width of my eyeglasses plus two inches. Service was fine, but my knees were so sore on landing it was almost a half hour before I could walk without pain, and again, I usually don't have sore knees. Fine to cut costs but you still have to leave room for the passengers, please! Always loved and flew Air Canada but will avoid Rouge whenever possible, and will now consider other carriers.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 April 2015 by S Lewis    (Canada)

Appalling trip to Phoenix. Even at 5'6 my knees were crushed against seat ahead. No inflight entertainment, endless queues for the two tiny bathrooms - for 120+ people? People lined up the length of the plane, leaning on everyone's back rest as they waited to gradually make their way to a coveted toilet! My ill son needed a wheelchair to meet our flight in Toronto. Message didn't get through and we waited endlessly as crew asked us to leave the plane. Frequent flyer points be damned. Hello Westjet.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  31 March 2015 by R Cox    (Canada)

My wife and I flew the Toronto-Cancun route 3 times this season. (AC10-11) and were pleasantly surprised. When Rouge began operating this service I wrote a very negative review. I believe they have listened and are trying. My biggest complaint from the beginning was the insane seating discomfort. The new plane flying this route is a 767 and it is quiet, clean, maintained very well and the seating is very comfortable. The crew do their best and I have no problems with them whatsoever. Sometimes the flights were delayed but all in all we arrived safe and in good shape. That's all I ask of any airline when push comes to shove. The little nitpicky stuff pales beside safety, and the incredible shape and performance of the aircraft and pilots gets us all back home. I am liking this route now and will not hesitate to purchase from Rouge. I think they should be applauded for righting a wrong.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 March 2015 by B OGrady    (Canada)

I just returned from Maui flying the only Air Canada option - Rouge. Never again if I can possibly avoid it even after being a dedicated AC client for over 25 years. If I was 5 foot 6 inches or smaller it might have been somewhat okay comfort wise. No in flight entertainment and nice but inexperienced attendants. Obviously a strategy to operate at a low cost but, fairs do not correlate. Very disappointed.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  26 March 2015 by J Sargent    (Canada)

I am a 75k elite member on Air Canada, routes I would normally have flown Air Canada on I will switch to WestJet or a US airline. Great way to loose loyal customers Air Canada. I had to change a flight that now routed me through LA to Vancouver, the last leg on Rouge. The seats were so uncomfortable and perhaps the tightest fit I have experienced when not in a private prop plane. I will never fly Rouge again, and think about no longer flying with Air Canada.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  26 March 2015 by M Winston    (Canada)

We flew the HNL-YYZ route on Air Canada rouge on our recent trip to Hawaii (we were originally booked on a Delta flight but decided to stay an extra week, so ended up flying rouge home as it was the cheapest fare at the time) and like some of the reviewers wrote, I was a little worried about this flight having read the reviews. Our flight was surprisingly drama-free and better than expected. Aside from the fact that the 767 was the same aircraft I flew to London (UK) with 9 years ago, the cabin looked like it was given a new interior. Having known about the lack of food (to be honest, none of the major North American airlines, with the exception of Hawaiian Airlines, will offer free meal service for economy passengers to and from Hawaii - ridiculous yes, but that's a whole other battle), we brought our own food on the flight. Sure, there wasn't PTV's or even an overhead screen, however I did my due diligence and on the rouge website, it does tell passengers to download the app to access the in-flight entertainment system. I was pretty impressed by the selection - new and old offerings. The cabin crew were young and did their job well. The seats were fine - typical seating in economy class on a domestic/US flight. We took the red-eye home (left HNL at 11pm) so we slept for most of the flight. All in all, a normal flight that got us home 45 minutes early. One thing that people need to realize is that this is really Air Canada's "discount" version, and as such, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high about amenities when it comes to economy. Having travelled on many US airlines to and from Hawaii, this was not bad. You want bad? Try American Airlines - the aircraft they used from DFW-HNL (and back!) was literally transported from the 80's. They didn't even bother to retrofit the interior cabin. From the cabin walls (with the tacky 80's floral design) to the video they used on the overhead screen (the on screen employees looked like they came from an early 90's MTV music video with the scrunchies and tacky shoulder pads). The flight was delayed from DFW. While it does put a damper on your Hawaiian vacation when the flight is less than perfect, I would say rouge is a good and budget friendly option to get to paradise. Just make sure you know what to expect and be prepared and you'll be fine. Unfortunately, you really can't ask for much nowadays when it comes to North American airlines and their "domestic" economy class system. If you want the amenities - I would highly suggest upgrading if budget allows and/or you have enough points to do so and fly Delta. Our flight from ATL-HNL in economy was the best experience - I could just imagine how heavenly their business/first class was on that flight. New Airbus with PTV's on every seat. While no free meal service in economy, they offered four rounds of beverage service AND gave everyone a Hawaiian Host chocolate prior to landing in HNL as a "first Aloha".

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  26 March 2015 by James Jeffrey    (Canada)

The A319 was nicely appointed, clean and lavatory serviced nicely. The crew are often the brunt of criticism, but on this flight (3/16, YYZ-PHX) I couldn't praise the crew more. They were attentive, two beverage passes, and light meal cart and regular trips down the aisle with water for this 5 hour flight to PHX. Although young, they seemed like they are really grasping the job, and did so like other seasoned professionals on the big daddy airline - AC. For a leisure airline, there is nothing leisurely about the experience. There is no inflight entertainment to speak of, and the seating (oh the reviews about the seating) is absolutely horrible. Please, Air Canada, do something about the position of the seats - it's too tight! I would recommend Rouge for a trip of 3 hours or less. Do not book Rouge, no matter how cheap you think it's going to cost, for flights over 3 hours. Toronto to Jamaica - fine, Vancouver to Vegas - fine. Otherwise, it's an option, but not priced well. For the product, the price point is still too high. But good work on resolving some of the issues with the flight attendant "kids" that I've heard so much about. Air Canada please listen to me, lighten up on the seating, provide some fun on board like TV's, and turn the product into a fun place to be.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  25 March 2015 by McDowell David    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

I have been Super Elite on Air Canada for many years but this now comes to an end. The change to Rouge service for popular destinations from Vancouver is the reason. I cannot fit in the economy despite being slim and fit. My legs don't fit!. I flew the business class and it was disgusting. Terrible food and kids providing service. I have switched to Alaska and West Jet as a result. I will also note that the new business class seats on Air Canada long haul service are the worst I have ever experienced. There is no room to extend your legs and the tray is impossible to figure out.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 March 2015 by D Neo    (Canada)

Experienced Rouge for the first time this week while traveling to the US on business. The outgoing flight was late and I missed the connection. Seating is uncomfortable and cramped. There is no seatback entertainment systems and the wireless system has a very limited selection of old material. I don't get the impression that I was paying less for the flights. The leg that I flew on United was much better in terms of comfort and service, and being on- time. Since I booked the flights on the Air Canada website in future I will first check to see if there are options on foreign carriers. AC and Rouge can pursue those who occasionally travel on vacation.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 March 2015 by Todica Felix    (Canada)

Despite other reviews I was very happy using services of Air Canada Rouge. Travelled March 8, 2015 to March 15, 2015 Toronto to Honolulu round-trip. Very good impression of them, I'll use their services again for sure. The inflight entertainment was very good, 120V plugs is excellent. Entertainment software work great for Android devices as well. Very friendly team on board, excellent take off and landings.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 March 2015 by Anna Borys    (Canada)

I flew from YVR-HNL on March 6th, and was assigned the one lonely seat right at the back of the plane in row 51. I asked the gate agent politely if there was any chance he could move me up. He was helpful and moved me up to Row 21 where there was an empty seat. The in-flight entertainment was ok for the 6+ hours flight, enough to get me there (because I can't sleep on planes.) I was also starving halfway through the flight, but wasn't interested in pay $13.50 for a wrap, so shelled out the $4.50 for pretzels and hummus as there was no free snack offered to go with my Diet pop. My flight from HNL-YVR was cancelled. I had checked in online already, but when I got to the airport (2 hours before take off) I noticed the lines at the ticket booths were not moving at all, and there was an already overall miserable feeling mulling about between the guests. I overheard someone say the flight was cancelled. I never even received a notification regarding this fact until it was close to boarding time. There were already guests checked through, bags checked, and they were told to come back through security to the ticket booths so they could be assigned a hotel to stay at overnight. Our aircraft never showed up due to "mechanical problems". It wouldn't be departing until the following day at 1.30pm. All connecting flights in Vancouver to my final destination (Winnipeg) would've already been long gone, so I would've been stuck with an overnight in Vancouver the following night. I was flying alone, however the rest of my family was on a WestJet flight, scheduled to leave 15 minutes after my flight was supposed to take off. I asked the lady at the ticket counter what my options were and if she'd be able to help get on the WestJet flight instead. She kept blowing me off telling me there was nothing she could do, nor did she seem like she was willing to help me in anyway. The lady at the Westjet counter immediately took all information, and got me on the flight, with no problems. Needless to say, Air Canada Rouge definitely disappointed me big time. No wonder the flight was ridiculously cheap!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 March 2015 by T Judson    (Canada)

Took a flight from Toronto to Las Vegas yesterday. Scheduled departure was 8.40 am. At 9.00 they announced they were a bit behind and a plane was being towed to the gate. 45 minutes later, still no plane and an announcement we're delayed to 10.30. At 10.30, an announcement they're still waiting on an aircraft, and we can present our boarding pass to a few restaurants in the terminal for up to $10 worth of food and drinks. At 11.30, a plane arrives and we get boarded by 12. At which point they announce that the pilot and co-pilot have logged too many hours and we are waiting on a new crew. The new pilot arrives by 12.30 and tells us our plane was delayed because it had to be tested after getting overnight maintenance. She announces the co-pilot will be there soon. At 1.00 they announce that they need to reboot the computer system, and we will be leaving shortly thereafter. By 1.30 the co-pilot and everyone seem accounted for, but wait! We now have used so much fuel we need refuelling. We finally got underway at nearly 2.15 after waiting to refuel. This airline is a complete joke. As a Canadian, I am embarrassed that they call themselves our national airline. All of these delays occurred after being forced to wait in Pearsons 'cattle pen' lounge for getting into Customs. We finally left at the same time we were scheduled to land. Numerous people on board missed connecting flights, but the crew didn't seem to care. As an aside, the crew seem very young and inexperienced and not well trained in how to handle these extreme flight delays with customers. If I could assign zero stars, I would. The whole process was beyond frustrating I will always choose to fly via other airports and carriers when not forced to take Air Canada for work.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  23 March 2015 by Nenadovich Christine    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

AC 1808, YYZ-SXM, Jan 31, 2015. AC 1809, SXM-YYZ, Feb 21, 2015. Having read all the reviews was prepared for the worst. And it was worse than the worst! Yes we were one of those that paid for pods from YYZ to SXM a year in advance only to be rouged. But the lack of any refund for business class airfare difference was moot compared to the horrific service. I felt like I was in an airplane where children were playing flight attendants. Sloppy attire, stroppy attitude, no respect , ridiculous service. Lets not even talk about the antiquated offerings on the iPad. I like Air Canada proper, but when booking future flights will avoid the "red check mark" indicating a flight operated by rouge. West Jet you have earned new clients for our yearly trips to Anguilla via SXM!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  20 March 2015 by C Campbell    (Canada)

We recently flew from Honolulu to Vancouver on the red eye - not because we chose a red-eye but unless we flew to Alberta, we did not have a choice! This was easily the worst flight my husband and I have been on. The same issues noted on previous reviews existed - cramped seats, old shows/movies, minimal cabin service, inconsistent temperature, aisle space must only barely meet standards, reading lights not working (quote from an attendant "working reading lights are not an airline safety requirement" which was the response I got when I finally tracked down 2 attendants who initially both said they would check out why the lights weren't working or get me a mobile reading light and who never got back to me). We have decided to use our remaining Aeroplan miles on non- Air Rouge flights and then book with Westjet or US airlines for future trips. In addition to our recent negative experience, another consideration to drop Air Canada was an Air Canada employee on a previous interaction said that no one likes Air Rouge but do not expect Air Canada to make any changes. Why would one stay with an airline who doesn't value their economy customers. AC would have to make some significant improvements to show that they actually care about customers to have me even consider flying with them in the future!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 March 2015 by G Persons    (Canada)

I flew yesterday on Air Canada Rouge and expected only the worst from the angry reviews I've read. I've heard there was little to no leg room, a terrible in-flight entertainment system, and even worse customer service/delays. But, none of these appeared to be true on my flight. First of all, you can pay a little more for extra leg room, and by doing so, you get more room than you would on the main line. People may complain paying extra is ridiculous, but if they're that concerned about not having enough room, it's probably worth it. For the in-flight entertainment, it was pretty weak. There are no longer TVs on the back of every seat like there are on the main airline. You can access it on your laptop, tablets, and phones, but the content is limited and outdated. What I did, and what I recommend doing, is renting movies on your laptop or tablet or whatever prior to the flight, so you can watch those without hassle. In regards to the delays, I flew on Air Canada Rouge both ways and I didn't experience any delays either way. In fact, I found they were quicker than the main airline. The one thing I do mind about the new charter airline is the in-flight entertainment. Oh well, I guess it's the way of the future.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 March 2015 by Atkinson Tom    (Canada)

I'm sitting at the airport waiting for rouge 1849 to leave. It was supposed to leave at 6.20 its now 7.15 and everybody is milling around the Rouge desk waiting to see what will happen. Typical AC.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 March 2015 by A Johnson    (Canada)

I had no idea what Air Canada Rouge was until after I had booked. We found a good deal online from YVR to HON for spring break so booked. Flight was on time leaving YVR and aircraft seemed clean and tidy but seats were a bit cramped in terms of leg room and elbow room. The flight attendants were all very friendly and bubbly as one would expect from new grads - I liked the attempt to look trendy with the uniforms. What was disappointing though for my two young children was that there was no in-flight entertainment. It would have been helpful to know that one needed the iPad app ahead of time. Also, disappointing the lack of good available - you would think Mac and cheese would be the obvious to stock up on this flight. What was extremely disappointing was to find out the day of checkout was that our 10.15pm flight had been delayed by 4 hours. What was even more aggravating was to find out through 3 further emails that our flight was delayed even more. The final straw that broke the camel's back was to check in and then find out that our flight would be delayed 7.45 hours. So here I am sitting in Honolulu airport writing this in frustration at 4am because I can't sleep and have two exhausted children on hand. Had we known this earlier, we would have just booked a hotel room. What I find insulting is the airline's idea of compensation for this is $10 meal vouchers - what a slap in the face. On top, I find it ironic that the airline is 7.45hours delayed which is just under 8 hours on their website for which they would provide accommodations for. I'm sitting here in the airport probably with 100+ passengers looking as exhausted and frustrated as I am and probably thinking the same thing - never again. As I peruse the Internet, wish I found this website earlier as I hear this is not the first time this has happened.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  17 March 2015 by M Baker    (Canada)

Flight to Tampa from Toronto, return in mid-February: 2 adults in "premium rouge", 6 adults (one over age 80) and 6 children in economy. Attendant in Premium was pleasant and helpful, food okay but seats very uncomfortable. Economy was hot and stuffy, attendant was surly, ran out of food to purchase, had to pay $60 for iPads for the children. Definitely not recommended for family travel.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  17 March 2015 by C Hulse    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

I just returned from Honolulu through Vancouver to Calgary. The flight from Vancouver to Honolulu was okay. It was on time, and I brought my iPad and had the app downloaded, so I could connect to the entertainment system. Although the movie selection and TV selections were pretty old. I'm talking '80s, '90s old, and those are the ones outside "vintage" selections. Thankfully I found a couple of things to watch. The inflight crew were pretty good to Honolulu and the plane seemed clean. I was in the economy cabin on the way to Honolulu but decided to upgrade to Premium on the way back because I hate late night flights. Thank goodness I did. The return flight from Honolulu to Vancouver was delayed by four+ hours so at least I could go in the United lounge for a few hours. We left Honolulu at 2.30 am so there went my connection to Calgary. The crew in Premium were pleasant, but young and inexperienced. One flight attendant was talking at full volume to her co-worker behind the curtain. A) It's the middle of the night and she should be quiet so people can sleep. B) There are things your customers shouldn't hear. Our compensation for the delay was food vouchers (hilarious because the Honolulu airport pretty much closes up after 9 pm - thankfully United's lounge stayed open late for those of us in Premium). The other compensation was a discount code for our next AC flight. Thankfully, Air Canada rebooked me in Vancouver for my flight home to Calgary (although the agent made it seem like that was a big deal for them to do) and I wasn't too out of sorts. But from other comments, it looks like the Honolulu flight out of Vancouver is delayed regularly. No more Rouge for me unless there are no other options.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Sherry Robinson    (Canada)

I flew AC Rouge Feb 21st to Phoenix and return. We were 1.5 hours late taking off. They said it was because they were waiting for people to get through customs but why should we reward people for being late and punish the people who left on time to get through customs. Rouge's website states you only need to be there 90 minutes before your flight, this is wrong, you need to be there at least 2-2.5 hours before to get through customs. Arriving late in Phoenix they had us waiting at the wrong carrousel for our luggage and never did tell us. Onboard entertainment is non existent, you have to bring your own. The TV and movies on the Rouge app are so old you cannot find anything to watch. On return flight we were 30 min late leaving. Arrival back in Toronto we waited for over 1 hour to get our luggage. I will say that there is one thing they do well. Their booking online, their online reminders and online booking for your meals - (just remember you have to show the flight attendant your ticket that you have prepaid for your meal.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Rideout Karen    (Canada)

We left Calgary on a Rouge flight to Vegas. It was a launch of the new Rouge "service" but it was anything but! There was not enough space to open my book so that I could partake in the only source of entertainment available to me on the flight. I could not download the Air Canada app in time to use my iPad and to rent one would be $10. Paying for all checked luggage coupled with no space, entertainment or snacks made for the worst flight of my life!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  17 March 2015 by B Piper    (Canada)

We flew Air Canada Rouge on a red eye from Honolulu to Vancouver on December 15th. We had booked the flight on Air Canada and were moved to Rouge without consultation. I have always maintained that while the staff on the ground were neither helpful nor happy, the staff on the planes were brilliant. This was not true of Rouge. It was reminiscent of flying Ryanair but more expensive. The seats were unbelievable narrow with next to no leg room, and I'm only 5'2. The elbow rests were small as well. The lights on each side of the aircraft were not turned off, even though it was a red eye. We asked the staff who told us that the lights had to remain on as a safely concern because the reading lights weren't working. We weren't able to get a logical explanation as it seemed absurd that the reading lights would have anything to do with safety. At about 1 am the seatbelt light was turned on and an announcement was made to do up our seatbelts. The staff than walked down waking every covered up customer up to ensure their seatbelts were fastened. While I appreciate the safety factor, I question the need to wake up every customer in the middle of the night. They offered water once during the flight. No other drinks were offered, unless you wanted to pay. They also came around and offered food for pay; no snacks were offered. We're not sure what they did with all their time. We had spoken to an attendant on a previous flight who advised us that none of the existing crew members had been transferred to the Rouge line, and that they were paid less. It showed in every aspect of this flight. We have been flying AC for years, despite our but our ongoing problems getting off the ground, because we maintained that once in the air, Air Canada was excellent. This is not longer true. Our relationship ended on this flight. We will not be flying Air Canada again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  17 March 2015 by S Lougheed    (Canada)

I flew Air Canada Rouge and was appalled at how cramped the seats are. They are narrow and so close to the seat in front, I don't know how a tall person could even fit their legs in. Or travel for longer than the 3 hours I did. Not comfortable. The flight attendants were very friendly and competent.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 March 2015 by M Bernstein    (Canada)

I was legitimately quite concerned flying AC-Rouge from OGG-YVR on an overnight flight this past February. Reviews of dirty planes, incompetence, and no seat room had me lamenting my end of my vacation (more so) than usual. I am 6"4, most planes have a lack of room for someone of my height. I had built Rouge to be this awful thing, after all it's transport how bad could it be. Honestly it wasn't horrid. Granted I had this flight through points, I would be furious if it was purchased full fare for business. But as a leisure airline, overnight where most passengers are sleeping it did the trick. I did not have a premium seat or exit row. Yes it was tight, but I fit in there ok, seems to be a theme, most flights I'm on have little to no leg room, this felt no worse. The entertainment system was moot as it was overnight. Cabin was quiet, well served (yes those outfits are idiotic) and I think they know it too. But overall, it was not the horrid experience I would have expected.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 March 2015 by Erik Boch    (Canada)

Toronto - Nassau, Sept 23 2014, and Jan 14 2015. AC 1816. Nassau-Toronto, Jan 28 2015, AC 1817. First point I'd like to make is that I'm a long-time dedicated Air Canada customer. I fly about once a month on business and 3-4 times a year on leisure. I'm 6'4" - Rouge simply doesn't work. Rouge has managed to reach a new low in comfort. I don't need a lot of extras when I travel, just a minimum amount of comfort. Really just boils down to a decent seat and some reasonable legroom. Whenever I travel now, I avoid Rouge. Sorry Air Canada, you've lost a dedicated customer.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 March 2015 by D Belanger    (Canada)

First time flying Toronto to Jamaica with Air Canada rouge and never again will I fly AC Rouge. I will be cancelling my Visa Aeroplan and start using Adventura. The seats were so uncomfortable I had to roll-up my husbands sweater and stuff it behind my lower back. Having to use tablets to view movies, etc is a real pain. Trying to eat and view / hold your tablet is difficult. Plus the TV shows are old and movies are old as well. Low budget airline at no discounted cost.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 March 2015 by Val Rantis    (Canada)

We flew from Vancouver to LA on Rouge. I had no idea what AC Rouge was. I was not particularly looking for a cheap flight, just a way to get to Quito Ecuador in a reasonable amount of time. Unfortunately we have to fly back to Vancouver the same way. I will spend 2 days getting to Quito the next time rather than fly Rouge again. The kids attending to the flight were polite but obvious "newbies". The seats were absolutely not acceptable for normal weighted/heighted people. I am not sure my seat even had padding in it at all (I weigh 128 pounds) and my husband's knees were pressed hard against the seat in front of him (he is 6 feet tall). I always feel a little nauseous when travelling and there was no dispenser for air at all. Some of the seats were not aligned so when you put your feet under the seat in front of you, you are sitting at an angle. We then switched to Avianca in LA to San Salvador, Avianca again to Quito and Tame to Cuenca. What a world of difference! Air Canada needs to look at Avianca and Tame to see how to run an airline and treat their passengers! We will go out of our way to not fly Air Canada Rouge again and we will be telling all of our travelling friends to steer clear of Rouge and Air Canada altogether if at all possible.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by J Curran    (UK)

Worst Airline I have flown! Flew AC1854 from Las Vegas to Toronto to connect with AC868 to London. Incoming arrived late into LAS. Incompetent gate staff could not facilitate a quick turnaround, so late departure. Late arrival at Toronto and then a frozen cabin door meant that we missed out connecting flight to London. Had to wait 10 hours for next flight. On flight there was No inboard entertainment, no food, cabin crew barely out of school. What a farce! This was booked as a United Airlines flight. Won't make that mistake again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by J Stirling    (USA)

Premium Rouge

Quite simply, the worst "business class" cabin I have ever had the misfortune of traveling in. "Premium" class seats on Air Canada Rouge are the exact same size as economy class seats. Flight was one hour late, and not properly groomed in between flights. Lots of garbage left on plane. Also heard a couple of elderly people complain at the gate, that no pre-boarding was being offered. Once airborne, service was non-existent. No meal offered on a 5 hour international flight? Again, this is supposed to be "premium" class. No blankets. Cabin was freezing. No seat back entertainment, iPads were offered that were glitchy, and the flight attendant seemed annoyed when I asked for ear buds. I could go on and on. Just a total disaster every step of the way. Air Canada is my airline of choice, but avoid Rouge at all costs. I usually only give reviews to companies when it's something positive and the service was remarkable. But Rouge is just remarkably bad. One star.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by W Jackson    (Canada)

I had the misfortune of getting placed on Rouge one year ago on a flight from Toronto to Kingston Jamaica, and again this year from Orlando to Toronto. I would simply confirm what most passengers have said in these reviews. Cramped, odd entertainment system, and all around sub par travelling experience. Reading the reviews made me feel fortunate that my flights were under 4 hours. I could not imagine doing a transatlantic or transpacific flight in one of these planes. I plan to be travelling far more in the next few years and this experience has sent me scrambling to explore West Jet, Porter, or US airlines.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Brad Snelling    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

I have had consistently good service with them over the last 40 years I have flown with them (and I am not an employee!) AC Rouge is a leisure carrier and not a five star airline like Emirates. You get what you pay for. Granted, AC seriously screwed up by replacing out some of their key regular services with Rouge without telling customers. Not cool. That being said, this little airline is not bad. The crews, while young, are actually very pleasant and eager to please. The uniforms are smart and they seem proud to wear them (the hats are a nice touch too. The food was tasty and satisfying. Not super high class but nice to get something that didn't make you gag. The service was attentive and I appreciated the new premium seating in the 767's. My airplane was clean (even after a quick turnaround after a 6 hour weather delay). My only wish is that they had service like Sunwing where everyone got a meal and there was inflight entertainment (even on the screens overhead) for all. Personally, this airline is ok to fly for flights that are under 6 hours. Given the limited legroom, do spend the money and fly the other classes. They give you more room and more attention. Overall, I was nervous flying them after the horrendous reviews but in the end I really had a nice flight.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by P Thompson    (Canada)

Flew Rouge, Toronto to Phoenix 2 days ago. Knew it would be tight but they could put more padding on their seats. After a 5hour flight, back was extremely sore. Agree with others the flight attendants appear to have little to no experience. Purchased a business class meal in economy and it took them over 2 hr to collect the tray and plates. My husband had no room on his fold down tray. And when we asked for it to he taken attendant refused. To top everything off because things were so tight we accidentally left our passport holder on the plane and didn't realize until next day. Fortunately got passports back but money was stolen. So try to speak to someone to report the theft and AC states they have no one on the ground in Phoenix as they have a third party. But they don't even have contact numbers to report the theft. Next time will fly either WestJet or Prter with JetBlue.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Novosad Alan    (Canada)

I have been flying with Air Canada for many years, mostly southern destinations. My last flight last week was with Rouge. Small, cramped and dirty. Cabin crew in cheap looking uniforms, but service was adequate. My major beef is the seating. After 4.5 hours my legs hurt and my back ached. Is this the best Air Canada can do, I hope not. Will look into other carriers that are willing to give me my moneys worth, it will never be Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by E Kotris    (Canada)

Flew between Toronto and Samana, Dominican Republic - Feb 7-14/15. Yes, the seats are extremely cramped, and the armrest between my partner and I wouldn't stay up (to allow us a bit of extra room). Heaven forbid the person in front of you reclines. The least they could do is give you a free sandwich on flights over 3.5 hours. Brought my own iPad with ACRouge app downloaded, but the content was severely lacking (old, old, TV shows and movies). But the service was attentive and friendly (both at check-in and on-board), and the flight was on time both ways. Could have been worse.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Wade Kevin    (Canada)

Toronto to Santa Clara, Cuba, Feb 20 back Feb 27 2015. Airbus 319. Same trip last year but in B767. That was comfortable compared to this. Okay its the discount airline division of Air Canada. But its still 'Air Canada". On time for both flights. We take our seats in Toronto (B,C16) and the folding tray I use is down on the left side. I have to use my arm to stop things from sliding off. Leg room is at its limits. I'm a small guy. No entertainment unless you rent it or carry your own on with you. I listen to audio books I'm good to go. Return trip (A,B27) Where did the leg room go. I must have got rid of that tension and gained height or leg length. Sitting squarely in my seat (window) and my knees were at the seat in front of me. The guy in front of me was getting in his seat and the backrest side against the bulkhead looked like it was going to twist off and break from the seat. Each time he moved in his seat, which was a lot because he also was uncomfortable. I was getting kicked in the knee with the aluminium crossbar from his seat. From my chest to his seat back was 13-14 inches. Doing some reading from the en-route Magazine and the fleet seating setup. Not quite the vacation memory I would have liked to have had this year Air Canada. My luggage didn't fly home to BC with me to top it all off.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Matthew Sills    (Canada)

Have flown Air Canada Rouge twice, both times Vancouver to Las Vegas. First time we got an email telling us about IPAD Wifi based entertainment system - download the App and make sure your IPAD is charged. I prefer this entertainment system to the low res pound the seat back screens on AC. Better picture and sound. Most times I won't watch a good movie on AC because I would rather watch it at home on my big screen, but I don't mind watching on my IPAD. The seats are merely OK, but not instruments of torture like some people maintain. Read the in flight magazine to compare the AC vs ACRouge layout and you will see how many more seats they have jammed in. I can understand people being ticked paying Biz class for Premium Rouge, as there is no comparison. Both trips YVR- LAS were on time. Staff are young and can be a little snippy, but consider how many people they have jammed into the aircraft. I am not complaining as I got great value Whitehorse to Las Vegas - $212.00 all in and LV to Van for $175.00. I am 63 years old, 5"10" 170 lbs and I had no trouble walking etc after the flights.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Nicholson Lyle    (Canada)

We flew Rouge on Dec 31st to Honolulu and were not impressed. We had originally booked this flight with Air Canada, and to our surprise it was changed to Rouge. We thought, okay, we'll give them a try. The flight crew was very ,inexperienced, which was understandable, but they didn't even seem to try to make the passengers feel comfortable. Once we were in the air, and they passed through the cabin once we didn't see them again until just before landing. They were slow in loading in the plane in Vancouver, and in Honolulu they didn't seem to have clue as to what they were doing. The service on the return trip was even worse than the flight over. I saw several comments about how cold the plane were, and how uncomfortable the seats were. We had the premium economy, which were the seats with extra leg room, and really not much of a bargain, but much better than what economy looked like. In the future, I'll look for something else than Rouge. I think this is bad idea from Air Canada. WestJet crams their passengers in the seats but at least comes by to see how their doing. Rouge doesn't have the low cost model with the caring attitude.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Perreca Florence    (Canada)

Flew Air Canada Rouge Toronto to Cancun 4 hour flight, that's about all you can take sitting in that little seat, the seats are the most uncomfortable seats I have ever experienced, if the seat in front of you reclines it feels even worse. The seats are small, no inflight entertainment, if want you can rent an Ipad which is pre loaded with movies the plane we were on was dated and old. One wash room was out of order. Drinks of water and pop served once during flight. Flight attendants are not very friendly you feel like your bothering them if your asking for a drink of water. Cash call for the airline and no consideration for the people who can only afford economy class tickets. I will never fly Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by G West    (Canada)

Booked our Jan, 2015 family vacation flight with rouge, YYZ to MCO. First time on rouge and yes, the economy seat was tight for me, 6', fine for my shorter wife and young son, although tolerable for me for this short of a flight, anything longer than 3 hours would be uncomfortable. But I knew all this before our flight, A/C tells you the seat pitch, and everything else, such as inflight entertainment, on their web page and through emails, multiple times. So it was exactly what I expected and paid for, inexpensive basic transport to Orlando, FL. Flights were on time, both ways, service personal were friendly and competent, aircraft was clean, food/drinks were fine. Will fly again, if fairs remain inexpensive.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Louise Hildreth    (Canada)

We were originally going to book our vacation package (6 adults, 4 kids) through WestJet because Air Canada Vacations did not have a package to the Marina El Cid. The travel agent offered us the option to book our flights with Air Canada then book transfer and hotel separately. We were very happy to choose that option since Air Canada was recommended as "the best". On Feb 18th we flew to Cancun on Air Canada Rouge and will never fly Rouge again. We had a 4.5 hr delay due to mechanical issues. We arrived at the airport at 5.30 am for our 8.30 flight. Between 6.43 am and 7.42 am the departure time changed 4 times. (11.00, 12.00, 13.30 and finally 13.00). We rec'd a $10.00 food voucher per person, which we all know does not get you much in an airport. A sandwich and a drink was min $12.00. Not long after take off my sister in law went to the bathroom and came back to report that it smelt. The inflight entertainment system is a joke. The leg room is so cramped. We did receive a promo code for a discount on a future booking, no idea how much of a discount but will probably never use it as it seems that all flights to sun destinations are with Rouge, so disappointing. Hopefully when we are ready to book our Feb 2016 family vacation (10-12 people) Rouge will be gone and Air Canada Vacations will be a contender again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  4 March 2015 by M Wright    (Canada)

Recently returned from Honolulu to Toronto. Never heard of Rouge before and never want to hear of it again. You would think on an 8.5+ hour, international flight that entertainment and meals would be a given, without having to purchase. We were not aware there wouldn't be food. We are not big people but have never been so uncomfortable on a flight. Seats were far too close and didn't seem to have any padding. Plane also appeared quite dirty. The staff were neither friendly or unfriendly, just seemed to be doing a job (probably hoping they would soon be transferred to the better planes!).

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  24 February 2015 by D Collett    (Canada)

Second time flying Rouge. Air Canada should take their name off of this disaster of a discount carrier as it will kill their overall reputation. Our first trip was with our 2 year old to Florida. Flight was delayed 7 hours with no information as to why. When we got to Orlando we had to wait an addition 3 hours for our bags. This flight is to Cancun. Was supposed to leave at 10 am, finally left at 7.30pm. Again no reasons given. Flight was packed and seats were cramped. I could go on and on about all the negatives but Rouge is a disaster. I have always liked Air Canada but Rouge has killed all the goodwill Air Canada had built up with me over the years.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Anita M Howe    (Canada)

I traveled from Toronto to Cancun 1/22/15 and returned 1/29/15 on Air Canada Rouge. After having read so many negative reviews I was prepared for a poor experience. Fortunately, I had just the opposite. The plane was clean and the attendants were pleasant and professional. I was disappointed, however, with the collection of chewing gum left by previous passengers in an unreachable space between the floor and the window. Surely gum could be disposed of in a more sanitary way. Food was adequate and no more, but I've had worse on regular flights. For a discount airline, I received what I paid for and commend the staff for super attitude.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Nicole E Poynter    (Canada)

When I first read all the terrible reviews for Air Canada Rouge I was very reluctant to travel with them. I couldn't believe how angry people were. So needless to say, I expected the worst but I chose to make the best of it because my trip had already been booked. I had a fantastic trip! Comparable to any flight I've taken with AC or otherwise. The seating was a bit tight but comfortable enough (granted I am a shorter person). Limited storage space so best to bring a carry-on that you can fit under your seat. The food was delicious and the best price for airplane food I've seen. A large glass of wine, a sandwich, and a snack for 13.50. The movie selection had plenty to choose from and entertainment app was easy enough to use. Flight arrival was on time both ways. Staff were very nice and helpful. So I may be alone in this, but I would definitely fly Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Digiacomo Thomas    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Why would Air Canada put Rouge planes on flights to Phoenix and San Diego when they have almost a monopoly of these flights and always full. Just to give less service. Had booked premium rouge and pre-chose seats. On return they switched my seats so my wife and I were now not together. This is taking care of customers. Avoid Rouge whenever it's possible. I will now fly Alitalia to Italy if AC keeps these old planes on the route.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  24 February 2015 by S Taylor    (Canada)

Seven hour delay and had to camp out in Maui airport that had no services. Filthy aircraft interior, small cramped seats, only food was what was left on the plane (sushi for breakfast) from the previous trip from Vancouver. Young inexperienced flight attendants, inadequate in air entertainment with old movies and TV series no one has ever heard of, if you didn't have an iPad and wanted to rent one there aren't enough for the plane, no duty free on international flight. Hard to believe that Rouge was created to compete with the likes of Westjet and they missed the mark big time. All the captive, popular destinations will be populated with Rouge so the service we are all used to with Air Canada will be gone. I find it hard to believe I'd say that I'd rather fly United now but it looks that way.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  24 February 2015 by G Rumohr    (Canada)

We flew home from Los Angeles to Vancouver yesterday and unfortunately had to fly with Air Canada rouge. This was the worst flight I have experienced! There were only three flight attendants for the entire Airbus and no one was over 24 years old! Talk about inexperience! Only one attendant was serving beverages to the economy section and it took a painful two hours to complete! The seats were very uncomfortable and we were unable to get our knees straight in front of us. The back of the seats had no support which made for the most uncomfortable three hour flight! Never again will we use the services of Air Canada.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Lawlor Maureen    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

AC1224, Jan 26 2015, Toronto to Fort Lauderdale. Return: Feb 6th 2015, AC 939. Fort Lauderdale to Toronto. Air Canada cater to the handicap. Helping them in and out of their airline seat, we had priority seating throughout. Departure and arrival, the porters were wonderful, taking you right to the exit making sure you got into handicap taxi. The food onboard was nice, hot when came to seat. Staff were patient.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by P Cormier    (Canada)

Flew Vancouver/Honolulu and back on A/C Rouge Jan/Feb 2015. First thing I noticed after boarding was how dirty the aircraft was, looked like it wasn't groomed in weeks. Seats were cramped, very little cushioning, cabin was extremely cold during flight, didn't provide blankets or pillows. Will never fly Rouge again, I'll spend the extra $$$ and fly with a real airline next time I head to Hawaii.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by R Millard    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

We were booked home in January 2015, on an Air Canada Rouge flight and charged full points by Aeroplan as per the normal Business Class on Air Canada flights. I do not know how Air Canada can pass off this "Business Class" on their Rouge flight as equal to their normal Business Class accommodation which they offer. Clearly, I questioned the Aeroplan representative when told we would fly home on Rouge and was told it is the same as regular Air Canada Business Class, although not the pods, but with adequate comfort and leg room. To say that the seating was inadequate, would be an understatement. We have traveled Air Canada Business Class annually YVR to OGG and have never encountered such sub-standard cramped seating with minimal leg room. My husband and I are tall people, this being one of the reasons we choose Business or Executive Class. I was barely able to walk when we finally landed in Vancouver. This type of accommodation can cause a health issue for many people. You charge for Executive Class and provide less than adequate Economy seating. Since 2004 we have travelled to Maui annually and paid the extra Aeroplan points for the comfort of the Business Class. In our estimation we got less than Economy. Most of the Canadians whom we encountered on Maui, who had flown Air Canada Rouge Business Class, were horrified and the reports we received were of great concern to us. Even though we had been privy to these negative comments we felt that being Air Canada it could not be that unsatisfactory. Therefore, based on past experience, we embarked upon this flight with open minds. We were quite incorrect, it was far worse than anything we could have imagined. This is gross misrepresentation on the part of Aeroplan and Air Canada. If Rouge is the only flight Air Canada is offering between Vancouver and the Hawaiian islands, then we will be seeking flights with other airlines in the future. At best it was "Cattle Class" accommodation. I can only imagine the cramped conditions for the people in Economy.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by P Cormier    (Canada)

What an embarrassment for Air Canada. I have spent the last 3 or 4 years defending the "new" Air Canada for the quality and safety of travel with them (you know the drill about their "award winning" status). After my family's Rouge experience I am back at square 0. Let me count off the ways Rouge made us see red on our recent trip to Hawaii: 1) highly punishing and inefficient boarding process both in Vancouver and in Honolulu, 2) primitive entertainment services, 3) a 1980s vintage and obsolete B-767 where essential functions, like lighting to read by, didn't work, 4) hours of discomfort in seats that hinted at promiscuity (that's how close they are to each other front to back and side to side), 5) a Rouge crew that was decidedly green (we figure that this must be a training ground for new Air Canada staff, and the perky uniform is decidedly weird). So, my family's take is: avoid AC Rouge and go WestJet or take a US carrier, even if it costs more.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by C Forman    (Canada)

We got rouged too. What a terrible airline. First off, no in-flight entertainment. Unless you knew that prior and downloaded the AirCanadaRouge App to your iPad. If you have $10 you can rent an iPad? The only entertainment you get is watching other passengers painfully adjust in their seats. Even less legroom than any other plane! Are you hot? Well, there aren't any personal air vents. Hope you ate before you got on board or brought your own snack because you won't be getting a crumb from this airline. Maybe they should have saved money by not buying fedoras for the airline crew. Oh and all the airline attendants look like 19 yr old kids.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by G Mitchell    (Canada)

Flew Air Canada Rouge from Montreal to Orlando and then Orlando back to Toronto. The staff were young but very professional and friendly. Very impressed. The complementary drinks were as excepted and I hate airplane food so I was very happy no one included myself was buying any. Both flights I was able to get preferred economy seats at no charge (once at airline kiosk and once at the gate) Had exit row seats both flights and i have never had so much leg room and recline in economy. It is worth paying extra for preferred economy because the back of the plane looked like a sardine jar! Overall extremely satisfied! My only complaint is that you can watch entertainment with the android app which is so stupid as far more people have android than apple!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by D Olson    (Canada)

Feb 14, Vancouver to Honolulu, flight 7 hours delayed. This flight has run late most days over the past 2 months. Service on board poor - traveller requesting full can of Coke was denied and got a lecture from attendant that she still had several passengers to serve. Time to switch to Westjet.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by R Jensen    (Canada)

Vancouver to Honolulu - The AC was "entire cabin" type (no small control like regular planes) and we had to keep our coats on for the full trip both ways because of cold drafts. The Flight Attendants quietly agreed.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by S Dore    (Canada)

I flew Air Canada Rouge for the first time last week (YYZ to Honolulu) - it was the worst flight I have ever taken and I fly frequently. The seats were extremely small/cramped, and at 6'1, I had nowhere near enough room. I was surprised how many seats they crammed onto an old 767. The staff were not very helpful or courteous, and with no seatback display system, we had to use our own device to access entertainment via wifi. Most of the people seated around me didn't realize that you needed to download the Air Canada Rouge app beforehand, and they were out of luck (or had to rent one of their tablets). I was able to use my phone to connect, but there was no wifi access for the first hour of the flight, and it was intermittent at best afterwards with frequent dropouts and long waits for reconnections. The tablet concept does not work. I am disappointed that AC has transitioned/downgraded many of their holiday destinations to Rouge service, and will be looking to alternatives i.e. West jet. I will never fly AC Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 February 2015 by James Blackwell    (Canada)

AC 1827 on 28 January, Vancouver to Kahului, Maui. First time flying on Air Canada Rouge. Excellent flight. Will have to see if the same service is on the return flight.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by L Ketchian    (Canada)

I flew 3 times with AC Rouge in 2014. Twice to the Dominican Republic and once to Rome from Montreal. Not a very good experience, very tight seating, no entertainment, and the plane to Rome was an old Boeing 767 that needed overhauling. Service was mediocre, and their outfits looked ridicules. From now on I will try to avoid AC Rouge.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by Jared Mitchell    (Canada)

Air Canada rouge is the worst airline I have ever flown. Not only have they crammed in extra rows of seats ensuring the most cramped flight experience, they still let the seats recline which puts the seat in front of you in your face. I did not have a choice in airlines as I redeemed aeroplan miles, and spent the same amount as if I had flown on AC but got stuck on rouge. The fact that Air Canada is switching sun and fun destinations to Rouge has made the decision to switch to Westjet an easy one. At least the loyalty miles (Westjet dollars) will actually get me on a Westjet plane!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by Diane Hutchinson    (Canada)

Flew from Vancouver to Phoenix - had no idea how uncomfortable the seats were when I booked the flight otherwise would have chosen a different airline. I have some hip/sciatica issues and suffered for days after. Will not fly on Rouge ever again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by G Phyllis    (Canada)

Recently travelled AC Rouge to/from Cuba. This was a short flight of 3.5 hours. The seats were comfortable but not roomy. My husband and I left the arm rest, between us, in the upright position so did not feel as restricted. There is no on-board entertainment but I-Pads could be rented for $10.00. We had researched the airline and were aware of the lack of entertainment so we were prepare with our own - book, cross stitch, music, crossword puzzles etc. The food provided (charged to your credit card) was fresh and tasty. The flight attendants were very young and needed a bit more experience in customer service. TIP - book your seat prior to flight and near the front section of the plane, sometime run out of food choices by the time they get to the back part of the plane. Would not want to take AC Rouge on a much longer flight. There is not a lot of room between the seats and almost nil when the person in the seat in front of you reclines their seat.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by T Wetterberg    (Canada)

Flew from Vancouver to Maui and back. We booked on points and quite frankly I had no idea what Rouge was before we even boarded the plane. Biggest complaint was about lack of in-flight entertainment. As a parent with two younger kids, in-flight movies are a lifesaver. I was floored to see that missing. Did we have other options - yes. We had our own ipad, books, etc. What was galling was to be told "you can access movies from your ipad but only if you have the app downloaded first". Of course that is useless advice once in the air, so guess what? We have iPads for rent for $10. It's the nickel-and-diming on every last thing possible that drives me nuts. The plane was huge, and full and yes, seats are cramped. I am 5'8 and did okay, my husband though at 6'4, it was an agonizing trip, particularly the red-eye on the way back. Finally, the crew. They all looked very young and the inexperience showed. A young Dad wasn't seated with his wife, infant and toddler and was told to "ask around to see if someone will switch". He said "I was told you would help me with that" to which the response was "there will be lots of people who'll want to switch if you ask around." Not sure if she ever did lend assistance. There are other nitpicky things (flight was more than an hour late leaving Maui), etc. Nothing was disastrous, but all the little annoyances add up. I am officially done. To be charged for every little thing, plus have poor service and the prices aren't even that much better? No thanks, I'm out!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by N Mulholland    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Terrible aircraft equipment track record. Both my flight from Honolulu to Vancouver went mechanical and eventually cancelled after 7 hours of indecisiveness from the Air Rouge crew and now last night from Vancouver to Honolulu we took off and had to turn back around because of mechanical problems again and the flight was cancelled. The "Premium rouge" seats are Business class prices but no way Business class seats. What a downgrade from Air Canada's lay flat Business class seats. I am contemplating flying economy on Westjet.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by Susan Falkenberg    (Canada)

I have travelled with Air Canada in the past, and did not hesitate to book a flight with Rouge thinking that it would be a similar experience. I was so wrong! I travelled from Toronto to Phoenix. While waiting at the gate, the staff were so disorganized, they were not able to board the passengers in a timely fashion. There were 5 boarding groups. They called the first, second and third in rapid succession so there were very long lines that were taking very long time to process. Once on the plane there was not adequate space for my carry on. I was told I had to check it. Since I have medications in the bag that I cannot be without, I refused to check the bag. The stewardess asked me to remove the medication from my bag and keep it in my purse or under my seat. It would have been embarrassing! In order to remedy this situation in the future, perhaps Rouge should not allow people to place backpacks and smaller items that can fit under the seat in the overhead bins so more room would be available for carry on bags. Then place coats and jackets in the bins after the bags are in place. The plane was so full that I had to sit on my winter coat for the entire 4 hour flight as there was not even a space for my coat. Not too comfortable. I paid the same price or more than my last Air Canada flight Toronto to Phoenix, so Rouge is not even offering a more economical flight. More than likely more profit for the airline, less comfort for the passenger.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by I Richard    (Canada)

Flew on an early morning flight from YVR to LAX. As soon as I boarded the plane, I was a little taken aback at how many seats there were (and I travel a lot and have seen a lot of aircraft). I sat in 51F which is right at the back of the plane (as in last row). It's a 3 seater row (with adjustable arm rests) so I had plenty of space to move around freely. However, any other of the seating and it would be a very tight fit. I'm a larger guy so I tend to get the aisle seat but I found that the rest of the craft would've been very cramped for my size. Just enough leg room, I'm 5"9 and I was barely touching the seat in front of me. Any taller and it would be painful.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by M McKenzie    (Canada)

Just flew on Air Canada Rouge from Toronto to Cancun and back. I must admit after seeing these reviews I was a little nervous. But I thought I would give them a chance, especially since it was our honeymoon. On the flight down we were coming from Thunder Bay to meet the connection in Toronto. When checking in in Thunder Bay we were told we would be getting our seats numbers when we get to the gate. I later realized that this was a fancy way of saying the plane was overbooked and we were chosen to be bumped. However we were able to get on the flight and my wife and I were able to sit together. On the flight down the staff were very cheery and in a good mood. After this first flight I thought I might be giving them a good review. The seats are a little cramped, but it was not too bad for four hours. The way back was pretty bad. So when we check-in in Cancun, the agent said that the plane was overbooked and asking us if we would volunteer to spend the night. My wife and I both had commitments back home so we said no. So they gave us our tickets and once again told us we would get our seat numbers at the gate. Translation: If people show up, you are still getting bumped. We both got on the flight but were unable to even sit anywhere close to each other. We asked if could be switched, but we were told no. Ironically the lady was beside was by herself too, so they were just too lazy to figure it out. The staff on the way back seemed very miserable. My wife told me she had to flag down someone to order food, even though she had her credit card out ready to pay. And they didn't even give her a declaration card. Thankfully in Canada you can fill one out for the entire family. While I admit that the entertainment system is very innovative, it did crash from time to time. So make sure you have some back up entertainment on your devices. The fact that we were almost bumped on our honeymoon is very discouraging. I would say stick to WestJet, Sunwing or Air Transat. I can't wait until Porter starts doing tropical destinations. However I would not recommend Rouge, unless you are prepared to be bumped and you don't mind the cramped space.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by Follett Neil    (Canada)

I've had concerns with AC's quality for some years but a recent flight to Phoenix on AC Rouge finally sealed its fate as far as I am concerned. I am 6'4" tall, 280 pounds. How I got into the seat I will never know. The poor person in front of me had my knees in their back and simply wasn't able to recline their seat. I'm used to AC staff being frumpy with a 'can't be bothered' attitude but this flight hit a new low. Rude, abrupt, ignoring requests, dealing sandwiches like cards from a deck, I could go on. The final humiliation was, that after a 4.5 hour flight, my legs were totally numb (as was my rear). It took three passengers and an AC staff member to heave me out of the seat and support me while the circulation returned. I changed to another airline for the return flight. I will never fly AC again. I will pay extra for another airline, take a stop over, change my route but never again AC. I am ashamed to be Canadian with you as the national airline.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 February 2015 by Karen Kalemkiarian    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

My husband and I flew business class last week to Cancun from Toronto and return. We couldn't have asked for more attentive flight attendants, good food and emphasis on detail. Was a little hesitant about flying Rouge for the first time after all the bad reviews but sometimes I think the passenger in the seat might be the problem. Congratulations to Air Canada for their creation of Rouge, couldn't have asked for a better flight and flight crew.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by M Mosher    (Canada)

I find Air Canada Rouge airplanes from Toronto-Phoenix and return to be very cramped. As well, the entertainment system is, in my opinion, very poor. The selection for those who have their own iPad is less than for those who rent an Air Canada Rouge iPad. I really wish that there was an option to fly this route, at least once a week, with the main airline, Air Canada.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by R Marley    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

It's Canada's answer to Europe's Ryanair. They're making a few extra bucks by cramming more very uncomfortable seats onto an Airbus 319. The "entertainment" streaming which replaces the usual video screens is a joke, unless you enjoy watching endless commercials and the lamest movies on the market. My biggest problem is that Air Canada, on certain routes, no longer gives you a choice between a regular flight and "budget" Rouge. Fortunately we were flying Vancouver to Palm Springs ( only 2.5 - 3 hours). Pity the fools who are on long haul Rouge flights. I'd be tearing my hair out! The high school kids who were pretending to be flight attendants were enthusiastic and doing their best but as mentioned in another comment are they prepared for an emergency situation.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by Marsala Graham    (Canada)

We flew YYZ to Phoenix (5 hour flight) and I was in constant pain from the seats. While waiting for bags at the destination (which took 90 minutes) most of the passengers we talked to said the same thing - never again Rouge. Air Canada has embarked on a strange experiment to find out how much people will pay to avoid extreme inconvenience and physical distress.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by D O'Neill    (Canada)

Toronto to Phoenix, Dec 13th 2014, AC1849. Phoenix to Toronto, Jan 10th 2015, AC1848. There is simply no leg room in economy for an average height adult. It was incredibly uncomfortable for the duration of the flight. Will have to find an alternative airline.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 February 2015 by Andi Houdayer    (Canada)

This is one of the worst airlines that I have flown. Maybe they should spend as much time taking courses in courtesy as they do on those ridiculous outfits. I boarded the plane and had to put my ticket into my pocket because I had a full hot coffee in my one hand and a very heavy fragile bag in the other hand. Upon entering the plane, I already knew my seat number in my head. The attendant demanded to know what seat I was in. I told her and kept moving. She then got belligerent with me and demanded to see my ticket. I told her that I don't have a third hand and my ticket was put away. She jumped in front of me to keep me from walking forward and demanded yet again to see my ticket. I have flown this airline maybe 5-6 times now and all of their flight attendants are rude. The physical plane was fine, the flying was fine, the snacks were fine, but the attendants - not fine.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 February 2015 by R Cavallaro    (Canada)

I have travelled AC Rouge a few times in Premium and this was my first in economy and have to say I truly do not like the AC Rouge concept at all. They have taken all the fun away from travelling on vacation and cheapened the Air Canada brand considerably. I am an elite status AC member and really struggling with continuing to give Air Canada any more of my business because of this. The service is mediocre at best and the whole ipad concept does not work. The movies are old and it is too awkward to deal with. Overall a truly unappealing experience.

1 2 3 4