Perth Airport

"overzealous staff"

(Bahamas)

Trip Verified | If you have had any knee or hip replacements be prepared for a full and over the top frisk search by the overzealous staff at international departure security screening. They are gleeful in their approach, probably having not had little or any previous employment role of authority and they delight in lauding it over passengers. My country of destination had no such approach either in domestic or international, it was light years different and they were efficient and respectful not like these clowns at Perth international departures. Significant re-training and in particular staff selection issues need addressing.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Airside nothing there"

Trip Verified | Perth airports multi million dollar refurbishment? Airside nothing there, duty free yes, nothing else. Is there a bar - I couldnt t find it . When i asked a staff member was told its past gate 53 - i didn't bother venturing down a long corridor to find out if she was telling the truth. I found a small snackbar that sold single serve bottles of wine & sandwiches - lovely staff, but is that it Perth airport? Not that I'm saying alcohol is a necessity before flying but is there actually a bar airside or really anything - a barren sad place with not nearly enough seats for those waiting - refurbishment - it was better in the 1980’s. Arriving worse, one single customs officer taking those old fashioned bits of paper from x3 long hauls arriving at same time. Then i was one of the chosen few to go to the right - 2 lines of 10 lined up were waiting - no explanation of what was happening just a nasty customs woman barking orders at us. I had seen the miniscule sign saying we were to be checked by sniffer dogs. The airport would put anyone off arrival experience.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"security is where nightmare comes"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | The arrival part of the airport is fine and reasonable, but the departure is a total disaster. While you're doin' the TRS refund (tax refund), they will mix all the queues together (unlike Sydney, which have a designated one for people who has the QR code), but it is still nice as the staffs are friendly and helpful. However, when it comes to security, this is where your nightmare comes, the security cannot recognise a Dyson hair dryer at first and she has to bring it in and out from the X-ray machine for like 3-4 times. Then she had to unpack the whole Dyson hair dryer for checking, I mean, seriously, with a hair dryer package and a hair dryer look through the X-ray machine. You still have to unpack the whole thing. I have never experienced such a thing, a security who doesn't know what hair dryer looks like and insist on unpacking the whole thing.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"held hostage by Qantas"

Not Verified | 4 terminals spread out across both sides of the runway is a joke. Perth Airport is held hostage by Qantas. Charging $4 for a trolley and the shops charge over $4 for a small bottle of water.

"Know your terminals"

Trip Verified | Know your terminals. I was a $28 taxi ride from terminal 1 to terminal 4. The shuttle sign said 2 minutes for 5 minutes then arriving soon. But it wasn’t the shuttle to change terminals. The other sign has been saying 15 minutes for the whole time I was standing there. Turns out I missed my flight.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"no excuses for poor communication"

Trip Verified | Perth Airport Terminal 4 Security. I went through on my own was stopped with 2 other random people and we all had to line up while one security officer checked all 3 with one swab? She barked orders about leaving feet on the ground and opening cabin baggage. The other security officers were free, I presume if one passenger had tested for something all 3 would be delayed. Poor organization and very poor interpersonal skills. She would not allow us to split over the other 2 security which were free. I welcome this screening service, appreciate that it protects me and others, and understand that it is absolutely necessary however, this behavior gives this necessary service a poor reputation. 8:16am on a Thursday morning it was not at all busy, so no excuses for poor communication.

"nothing special"

Not Verified | Parking is fairly expensive, even just for 15 mins. International and domestic terminals are ok but nothing special compared to other Australian cities. I do like the long seats that you can lie on if you need a nap. Otherwise there's nothing that memorable about the terminals even though I've been through them quite often.

"it is truly efficient"

Trip Verified | I never really appreciated Perth airport until I had to live in Europe. Perth airport is small compared to many airports. However, it is truly efficient. Upon arrival, friendly staff at duty free welcome us back and inform us of the deals available. ePassport scanners may get busy, but work fast. By the time we get to the carousel, suitcases were already loaded. Border security is strict but the officers work fast. Long queues are not a problem. A good, efficient airport.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Perth airport is never a pleasant experience"

Not Verified | Despite the expensive upgrade to this airport the same fundamental issues remain. Inefficient use of human resources, lack of functioning machines and rip off prices for poor quality food. On leaving Perth we queued for a length of time to get our e-passport scanned. Mine (amongst many others) didn't scan and we were directed to a person to check our passports,. She politely informed me that this was "always happening". Arrival back to Perth was the usual scenario. Pick our bags up and then enter a long queue to exit through customs. One customs officer taking our out-dated information cards (why are we still filling these in?) and letting us through. Several other customs officers standing around chatting. A multitude of staff from Ministry of Agriculture and fisheries doing nothing. I understand that it's nice to allow cabin crew and pilots to jump the queue ahead of passengers (although would be nice for them to go through a side exit so that we are not further frustrated, however, very annoying to see the cabin crew sneaking family members through with them. Surely their relatives should stand with the rest of us? Passing through Perth airport is never a pleasant experience and the more that I travel, the more I see the inefficiencies.

"it is a disgrace"

Not Verified | Perth airport had a multi million dollar revamp but failed dismally. I don't know who the planners were but they obviously have no idea about building airport terminals, quite frankly it is a disgrace and was a total waste of money. One would think that with the domestic and international terminals not being under the same roof that with the vast amount of land available one could build a decent terminal. Perth generally has had poor planning since the 1960s, no one can think to the future. The Perth drop off pick up area for vehicles is a joke. The short term car park should have been used partially for this, why is it so hard for planners to work it out? The airport should be 3 story each floor having a designated taxi bus and ride share pick up drop off and the other 2 floors being designated for arrivals and departures. Why the domestic and International airports are not combined I do not understand but then look at our Freeway system which plans forward only for today and not the future and the disgrace of narrow streets in the city of Perth, Vincent, Stirling and many other shores where streets use to be 2 lanes each way and now are only 1 lane each way and they cry congestion which the shores created themselves.
Date VisitAugust 2019