Perth Airport

"one of the dullest airports ever"

Not Verified | Perth Airport has had a ton of money spent on it yet the only thing it offers once passed the efficient booking in and security checks is one single cafe and one single bar and the only WH Smiths I’ve seen in Australia. The range of consumer options is amazingly limited - captive audiences at airports tend to spend to alleviate the boredom yet there are maybe 4 shops airport side at Perth - one of the dullest airports ever.
Date VisitMay 2022

"Airport is lacking ambience and atmosphere"

Trip Verified | Compared to other international airports, Perth has always been relatively quiet, and sometimes quite slow to get through. This has been complicated a little further by recent changes that have been brought about by the extra checks that are required for COVID-19. I did the majority of this online prior to leaving the Philippines. I would urge others to do it as well. You only need a smartphone. Customs and Border Force staff were quick getting me through, however I was delayed because my baggage was not forwarded from Singapore. I have made a separate entry regarding this. Despite this issue, staff put me in contact to the right people to report my lost cases to, and they were returned to me approximately 2 days later. Airport is lacking ambience and atmosphere, but I would put this down to reduced traffic due to the pandemic.
Date VisitMarch 2022

"overzealous staff"

(Bahamas)

Trip Verified | If you have had any knee or hip replacements be prepared for a full and over the top frisk search by the overzealous staff at international departure security screening. They are gleeful in their approach, probably having not had little or any previous employment role of authority and they delight in lauding it over passengers. My country of destination had no such approach either in domestic or international, it was light years different and they were efficient and respectful not like these clowns at Perth international departures. Significant re-training and in particular staff selection issues need addressing.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Airside nothing there"

Trip Verified | Perth airports multi million dollar refurbishment? Airside nothing there, duty free yes, nothing else. Is there a bar - I couldnt t find it . When i asked a staff member was told its past gate 53 - i didn't bother venturing down a long corridor to find out if she was telling the truth. I found a small snackbar that sold single serve bottles of wine & sandwiches - lovely staff, but is that it Perth airport? Not that I'm saying alcohol is a necessity before flying but is there actually a bar airside or really anything - a barren sad place with not nearly enough seats for those waiting - refurbishment - it was better in the 1980’s. Arriving worse, one single customs officer taking those old fashioned bits of paper from x3 long hauls arriving at same time. Then i was one of the chosen few to go to the right - 2 lines of 10 lined up were waiting - no explanation of what was happening just a nasty customs woman barking orders at us. I had seen the miniscule sign saying we were to be checked by sniffer dogs. The airport would put anyone off arrival experience.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"security is where nightmare comes"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | The arrival part of the airport is fine and reasonable, but the departure is a total disaster. While you're doin' the TRS refund (tax refund), they will mix all the queues together (unlike Sydney, which have a designated one for people who has the QR code), but it is still nice as the staffs are friendly and helpful. However, when it comes to security, this is where your nightmare comes, the security cannot recognise a Dyson hair dryer at first and she has to bring it in and out from the X-ray machine for like 3-4 times. Then she had to unpack the whole Dyson hair dryer for checking, I mean, seriously, with a hair dryer package and a hair dryer look through the X-ray machine. You still have to unpack the whole thing. I have never experienced such a thing, a security who doesn't know what hair dryer looks like and insist on unpacking the whole thing.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"held hostage by Qantas"

Not Verified | 4 terminals spread out across both sides of the runway is a joke. Perth Airport is held hostage by Qantas. Charging $4 for a trolley and the shops charge over $4 for a small bottle of water.

"Know your terminals"

Trip Verified | Know your terminals. I was a $28 taxi ride from terminal 1 to terminal 4. The shuttle sign said 2 minutes for 5 minutes then arriving soon. But it wasn’t the shuttle to change terminals. The other sign has been saying 15 minutes for the whole time I was standing there. Turns out I missed my flight.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"no excuses for poor communication"

Trip Verified | Perth Airport Terminal 4 Security. I went through on my own was stopped with 2 other random people and we all had to line up while one security officer checked all 3 with one swab? She barked orders about leaving feet on the ground and opening cabin baggage. The other security officers were free, I presume if one passenger had tested for something all 3 would be delayed. Poor organization and very poor interpersonal skills. She would not allow us to split over the other 2 security which were free. I welcome this screening service, appreciate that it protects me and others, and understand that it is absolutely necessary however, this behavior gives this necessary service a poor reputation. 8:16am on a Thursday morning it was not at all busy, so no excuses for poor communication.

"nothing special"

Not Verified | Parking is fairly expensive, even just for 15 mins. International and domestic terminals are ok but nothing special compared to other Australian cities. I do like the long seats that you can lie on if you need a nap. Otherwise there's nothing that memorable about the terminals even though I've been through them quite often.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"it is truly efficient"

Trip Verified | I never really appreciated Perth airport until I had to live in Europe. Perth airport is small compared to many airports. However, it is truly efficient. Upon arrival, friendly staff at duty free welcome us back and inform us of the deals available. ePassport scanners may get busy, but work fast. By the time we get to the carousel, suitcases were already loaded. Border security is strict but the officers work fast. Long queues are not a problem. A good, efficient airport.
Date VisitOctober 2019