Perth Airport

"utter chaos from tired and jet-lagged passengers"

Not Verified | Left on a 10.30pm flight so arrived at the international terminal at 7pm. Check in was very good. All food and shopping outlets were open and I passed quickly through immigration without fuss. Was able to claim some GST back too with a helpful customer service lady. Arriving back however was a completely different and horrible experience. Think of the damage this does to the tourist’s impression of WA. So approx 800-900 passengers had arrived together at 6.45pm on 2 flights. Immigration had 7 smart gate lines open (several out of order) and several real human officers on desks (approx. 4). However the 2 male yellow jackets were completely illogically forcing us to wait in these long automatic gates for the double scanning of boarding passes (long since discarded - never warned we would need them on arrival) and then passport scanning by second terminal/machine. Only one assistant standing inside the airport behind the smart gates watching, so utter chaos from tired and jet-lagged passengers was evident. I urged the yellow jacket to allow me to avoid this lengthy queue (I'd been travelling for 24hrs at this point) and go to a desk and be checked by an immigration officer. “Perth airport prefers you to use the smart gate” was the reply. I replied “I prefer to use this other option with no queuing”. The response was repeated again. Eventually, the man relented and opened a barrier for me to walk into the “assistance lane” and up to a counter. There were 2 individuals in front of me and I was through within a minute. One staff member on duty was friendly and kind, and didn’t need my boarding pass. A short walk later I was at the carousel and my luggage was already going around. Goodness knows how much longer those hundreds of other people took to funnel though the smart gate. They probably witnessed the officers either sitting there doing little work or closing their desk and going off-duty or on a break while the customer stood there. The cynic in me says of course they want to slow you up as much as possible so your family paying horrendous parking charges rack up as many dollars as possible. It’s something like $13 per hour to use the car park.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"the main issues still remain"

Trip Verified | It has been 6 years since I last had to use Perth airport and to be honest even after their renovation the main issues still remain. When arriving there are very long queues for both immigration and quarantine, for the latter you are lulled into a false sense of efficiency as the majority of the line is hidden behind a partition. There are still the same number of immigration staff standing around as there are ones manning counters, therefore when 3 flight arrive within an hour, only 4 booths open with 4 people walking around supervising (not sure what though). Plus side of the long waiting time is that the luggage is there waiting for you so you can take your place in the next queue. Again 4 booths open but 5 people checking your customs deceleration and making sure you haven't died of old age waiting. Departure is better although ground staff and checking not well trained got through immigration quickly, however $4.00 for a baggage cart is a rip off, that said so is the price of everything at the airport. So glad I no longer have to travel through here.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"serious shortcomings"

Not Verified | I recently transited through Perth Airport (domestic to international, then vice-versa on the return) and it revealed some serious shortcomings. First, signage is poor - I had great difficulty finding any signage between terminals, including the essential free shuttle transfer bus. The layout requires a lot of walking, so avoid this place if you have any mobility issues. I was also surprised at the lack of service personnel at check-in desks an hour before my flight. The main issue though is transferring between the domestic and international terminals, which requires taking a free shuttle bus. This takes time - they depart every 15 minutes, and in my case took 25 minutes to get there after stopping at the various car parks. Combined with walking, you need plenty of transit time! On my return journey, where I had a 2.5 hour transit time, my incoming flight was an hour late. As incoming passengers have to collect their checked luggage for customs, this was made worse by a nearly 30-minute wait to get my luggage. By the time I was out into the arrival's hall, I had about 30 minutes before boarding started at the domestic terminal, and I still had to get there and check in my luggage. This was extremely stressful, especially as I just missed the shuttle bus. Knowing that I had a 15-minute wait, plus a possible 25-minute journey, I grabbed a taxi instead. However, I was abused by the taxi driver who'd had to wait 3 hours to collect a fare only to find he'd been asked to go to the other terminal! While understandable, I really had no choice if I was going to catch my connection, so I had to pay the guy a very large tip. This is always a problem where you have to catch shuttle buses and then drive through traffic to get to another terminal, no matter which airport in which country. Now that I know this applies to Perth Airport, I'll be avoiding it where possible in the future. I don't need this kind of stress on my journey.
Date VisitJune 2019

"all shops shut"

Not Verified | Worst airport. Arrived at 8pm, all shops shut, airport security closed down and no self-check in counters. Flight was at midnight but got to airport after dinner thinking we could check in and look at shops. Nothing open at all and no staff visible. A sign said "desk opens 10.30pm" but no where to even buy food or drink.
Date VisitApril 2019

"will completely ignore your card"

Trip Verified | Perth T1 has had several improvements but sadly the food and drink prices have remained at rip-off levels. More significantly if you are a senior who has had a hip transplant beware of the jumped up wannabe at departure security who has watched too many episodes of border security. When the alarm goes off as you pass through, this genius will completely ignore your card from your surgeon and insist on an invasive and humiliating frisk search. No such humiliation occurred either at Changi airport of Singapore/Malaysia border crossings. This security wannabe at Perth airport T1 departures needs an employment re-focus, cleaning the toilets would be appropriate.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"expected them to actually be able to help"

Trip Verified | I had left my headlights on for 6 days in the carpark of the Perth airport. Whoops on me. But when I asked for help I expected them to actually be able to help. The lady was very helpful on the intercom (this is 2am so I'm very tired and cranky but keep it together). They send out a nice gentleman but as soon as he pulls out the battery charger pack I look dismayed. I was driving my partner's 80 series landcruiser diesel fuel with dual battery system so the least to say the battery pack was obsolete. I asked if we could use his ute but he quickly disputed the airport insurance wouldn't allow it, it was a $70,000 ute, I call rubbish. Don't come and help someone if you come with a little battery pack when they've told you it's a dual battery diesel system. I was not happy and was further frustrated when he told me the costs of the ute if something were to happen, the airport is by no means poor or unable to fix their utes. Had to pay RAC to come out and I was not a member.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"Fantastic"

Not Verified | Arrived in the early evening on a full A380 on the busiest weekend of the year, the weekend before Christmas, Despite my passport not being accepted at the electronic gate, my wife and I were outside the Terminal with our bags within 25 minutes of the aircraft arriving at the gate. Fantastic.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"absolutely unacceptable"

Not Verified | I cannot understand why Perth immigration does not increase the counters knowing that during these seasons there will be lots of people coming in. It was absolutely unacceptable to let tourists to wait more than 1 hour in super long lines. I hope Perth Immigration listen to this, work with airlines and find out how many are due coming in and thereby increase the counters accordingly, simple as that. No wonder Perth is claimed to be "Tourist Unfriendly state"
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"Wait times are a shame"

Not Verified | Poor organisation either by the airport authorities or ABF. Nearly 500 people in line waiting at immigration but only 4 counters working! Wait times are a shame for an international airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"Very unsatisfactory"

Trip Verified | Had an early morning flight to catch to NZ, so had breakfast at Locopoco - cold coffee and no butter on my toasty with poached eggs and my companion had burnt fruit toast. Very unsatisfactory. Would avoid at all costs!
Date VisitDecember 2018