Kathmandu Airport

Kathmandu Airport customer review

This has to be the worst airport I've ever visited. Arrival was OK - I was one of the first off the plane so I quickly got my visa (make sure you have the exact money - USD25 - as some people had to forgo their change). But departure was a nightmare. Regardless of which class you fly everyone has to queue to get inside the airport where their tickets are checked (check #1). In the age of e-tickets this was difficult as the security guard couldn't read the tickets and so made a show of going over every single word. Those who didn't have their e-tickets printed out had to argue their way in. I understand this policy as it keeps well- wishes out of the airport - but seriously they could make it a lot easier and friendly. Then you have to scan your bag (security check #2). Check-in on Thai with a Gold Card was fast but unfriendly. Make sure you have a baggage tag for your hand luggage as you will need to show this before going up the escalator (check #3). Passport formalities were quick but then you have to go and get your hand luggage scanned and searched (check #4) and your hand luggage tag stamped (check #5) before getting your ticket stamped (check #6) to show you had undergone this process. Finally just before leaving the departure lounge you get a body- search (check #7). A true nightmare all done in the most unfriendly manner. Horrible airport.

Kathmandu Airport customer review

Everybody hates this airport (I'm talking the International Airport here) but I don't see why. I have been through over 40 times in the last 10 years and have had no problem. OK - its not (thank goodness) LHR or JFK but they do their best. My tips for an easy arrival. Either get a visa in advance (a multiple one if you intend to travel on/back to Tibet or Bhutan so you can g2et in and out of Nepal) or get off the plane sharpish and get to the front of the "visa on arrival" queue on the far lest as you enter. The latter can actually be quicker if the airport is not frantic with incoming flights. Be polite and don't make a show of presents or flashy kit in your baggage. Playing it low profile being quiet and reserved I have never ever been stopped or searched by anybody in this airport and have never had any fuss with Customs or immigration. On departure - get there early and fly business class if you can possibly afford it - there are absolutely no queues at the J class check in desks. Otherwise try to get an airline loyalty card and use this to check in at the J Counter. If even one party in a group has a J ticket the J class man will check Y passengers in with him as well. Departure immigration is slow as in most airports in this region but they seldom make a fuss. Last time my wifes visa on arrival had been stamped in my passport by mistake (and vice versa) and that didn't phase them at all - remember be polite and friendly - they get really miffed with surly people! J Class Departure Lounge is actually now very good - really! The old one was rubbish but the new one is a haven in an otherwise pretty stark departures area. C'est la vie. The final police check to go to the gate can be trying. They want to confiscate mainly lighters matches and batteries (and some even look for illegally exports of cash) by I find that being pleasant with a light banter usually lets me keep most things but keep money in a secure non obvious place in your bag or even in your pockets rather than in your bag just in case you fall foul of any real or imaginary currency export regulations. I have never had any problem and I always take over the limit out in Nepali Rupees so I have cash for my next trip. On the other hand the domestic airport is quite simply a dirty smelly disorganised hell hole and a disgrace to Nepal. If you are a lone traveller or do not have a guide it can be intimidating so my only comment is don't travel without a local guide or otherwise who knows his way around.

Kathmandu Airport customer review

Possibly the worst airport I've ever visited. The domestic terminal was total chaos. A worthless overhead monitor had incorrect and incomplete flight information. Flights were announced by a man standing at the gate ("Buddha Air 605!") so passengers on all flights were in a crush by the gate attempting to hear him over the noise. Arrive at least an hour before domestic flights as the check-in and security queues can get very long. The international terminal has terribly scuffed and grubby marble floors. The Thai business lounge was at least clean and modern and offered pastries and beverages. It had no rest room however so was directed to the appalling airport rest room which had flooded and smelled horrible. Several security checks. A security agent pawed through my belongings for so very long the agent next to him finally barked at him to let me through. Many stupid questions for example: "What is this?" Jewelry. "Is it yours?" Men go through one door ("Gents") and women through another at security areas. All are frisked.

Kathmandu Airport customer review

It is all very old fashioned but also very relaxed. For Nepal standards they do their best. Customs are always friendly especially if you can greet them in their native language! On arrival it goes always very quick if you have your visa already. Baggage claim can be a bit disorganised but most of the times you can leave the airport within half an hour after leaving the plane. On departure just make sure you are in time or even better make sure you are a little bit early. You'll be one of the first in line for a fast check in. The next two hours you can spend reading or so in the very good restaurant (upstairs) with view on the platform. Quiet and with clean toilets!

Kathmandu Airport customer review

Probably one of the most disorganised airports in the world. Get a visa before you travel to Nepal. I queued for 2 1/2 hours on arrival. Departure is an endless game of body searches and silly questions. A very bad reflection on a wonderful country

Kathmandu Airport customer review

Just returned from Nepal again - superb country - awful airport - nothing has changed in the last four years - dont think the toilets have been cleaned since my last visit! ancient bus for all of the 50 metres to plane - then another body search before being allowed on plane - this airport needs to get its act together.

Kathmandu Airport customer review

Used the airport twice for short says in Nepal on the way too and from Kathmandu. The main problem is the lack of departure boards. Every now and then some people would start going through a departure gate and everybody else would follow them in case it was their flight. Arrival was a lot easier though and the baggage appeared quire promptly. The airport staff were about the most friendly and helpful I have encountered anywhere once you manage to find somebody.

Kathmandu Airport customer review

What a shame that this airport serves this wonderful country. I had some Indian Rupees on me but managed not to be detected. Departure was a nightmare. Extremely rude men at immigration asking questions which they had no right to ask. I have a complicated passport history with many visas - but their right is to stamp me out and not to inquire whether or not I had the right paperwork to board the plane - that check was done at check-in! Flight was delayed 10 hours as inbound flight could not land (bad weather). This is fairly out of my control but we were not allowed to leave back into the terminal to stretch our legs instead having to wait in a crowded waiting room served by one atrocious toilet. Food was given after a few hours; thanks go to Air Arabia's handling of the situation.

Kathmandu Airport customer review

Our visit to Nepal was soured by my experience at Kathmandu Airport. We were leaving to return to Delhi I had checked all our luggage though and went through for a personal security check. While in the cubicle the guard checked my pockets and asked me if I had any money I said I did not have any Nepal money as we were requested not to take any out of the country. I had 100 Indian rupee notes he stated ranting "give me money" "give me money" "200 200" . In shock I handed over 200 Indian rupee and he pushed me out of the cubicle. I just felt so intimidated this is assault and robbery. We had intended going back to this beautiful country but we will give it a miss now and tell others of our experience.

Kathmandu Airport customer review

Second time flying through this airport. Large improvement since I was there in 2005 even with the notable increase in traffic. Toilets seem cleaner and immigration more efficient. In general staff seem more professional. The range of duty free shopping is still disappointing.