TACV Cabo Verde Airlines

"still have not been refunded"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | In September 2019, we take a one-way ticket Lisbon - Praia for 04/11/2019. We receive a call at 11am to inform us that our flight scheduled for 3pm has been canceled. We go to the airport to find a solution and we are offered another flight 48 hours later. Because of a trade fair in lisbon we are informed that no Voucher and that no help to find or pay for a hotel will be granted. OK ... we are on vacation and we decide with my husband to take advantage of these 2 days to go for a walk. In short, we arrived on 06/11 at the airport, we boarded a shabby plane, the travel conditions were terrible, the flight staff spoke broken English. it's worse than low cost. in the meantime we lost 2 paid hotel nights in Praia. We come back from vacation and that's when the real battle begins, we contact customer service for 5 months without any response. So I decide to flood their Facebook page, I finally have someone who takes charge of my file on May 04, 2020. After several exchanges, I accept their offer well below our actual costs. We are granted the refund on May 25, 2020, as of November 18, 2020, we still have not been refunded. It will be more than 1 year after our trip, we were contacted 5 months after our first letter and to date the answer we have is that our file is under study. Nous prenons en septembre 2019, un aller simple lisbonne - Praia pour le 04/11/2019. Nous recevons un appel à 11h pour nous informer que notre vol prévu à 15h est annulé.. Nous nous rendons à l'aéroport pour trouver une solution on nous propose un autre vol 48h après. pour cause d'un salon à lisbonne on nous informe qu'aucun Voucher et qu'aucune aide pour chercher ou payer un hotel ne nous sera accordé. OK ... nous sommes en vacances on decide avec mon époux de profiter de ces 2 jours pour se balader. Bref on arrive le 06/11 à l'aeroport on embarque dans un avion miteux, les conditions de voyage sont affreuses, le personnel naviguant parle un anglais approximatif. c'est pire que low cost. entre temps nous avons perdu 2 nuits d'hotel payé à Praia. On rentre de vacances et c'est la que la vraie bataille commence, on contacte pendant 5 mois sans aucune réponse le service client. Je décide donc d'inonder leur page Facebook, j'ai enfin quelqu'un qui prends mon dossier en main le 04 mai 2020. Après plusieurs échanges j'accepte leur offre bien en deçà de nos frais réels. On nous accorde le remboursement le 25 mai 2020, à ce jour le 18 novembre 2020, nous n'avons toujours pas été remboursé. Cela va faire plus d'1 an après notre voyage, nous avons été contacté 5 mois après notre premier courrier et à ce jour la réponse que nous avons est que notre dossier est à l'étude. Bref si vous devez voyager vers le CAP VERT faites le avec la TAP
RouteLisbon to Praia

"nobody answered, ever"

(Azerbaijan)

Not Verified | I never actually flew this airline because I had to cancel the ticket 11 days prior to departure from Dakar to Sal, Cabo Verde. After trying multiple times to ask about the refund, using the airline website phone numbers (using the Portugal, Brazil and other numbers) nobody answered, ever. I found them on facebook, only to see they don't have an inbox option on facebook and the comments on facebook are also nasty. It seemed the phone lines didn't even work. I emailed the airline with my e-tickets and receipts only to hear nothing. It's now the last week of February, and absolutely no word from this airline. I have no words and do not understand how they are still selling tickets. I would never buy from this airline, ever. If this is Cabo Verde's flagship carrier, it's a national disgrace and makes me want to remove Cabo from my bucket list. Please do not buy a single ticket from this airline, ever.
RouteDakar to Sal

"Do not fly with TACV"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Sao Vicente to Milan via Sal. I was left in Cabo Verde with no flight to came back!! I have paid the ticket, the flight was cancelled. On the next flight, they closed the check-in because they gave about 150 tickets for a plane with 100 seats. Then, they disappeared. No answer to email and to claim. Nothing. I had to buy a flight with TAP to go back home. Now, they delete comments in their facebook page to hide all the rage of the passengers in similar situation, every day! Local people not always write complaints here, the real amount of passengers left without a flight is much higher than you might see. Do not fly with TACV for any reason. Don't take the risk!
RouteSao Vicente to Milan via Sal
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"ever sent us notification of this change"

Trip Verified | The first leg of the trip saw my son stranded in Cape Verde for over 14 hrs. His plane arrived late and staff left all passengers overnight with no announcements whatsoever. Also there was no entertainment or food served on this trans-Atlantic flight from DC! His return was rescheduled 3 times with a two day differential and the last two reschedules happening on the day of the flight! When he finally arrived at the airport he was told that Cabo Verde had changed his flight to another airline which had already departed. They never sent us notification of this change. We had to end up buying another ticket on another airline. The desk agent even went on to say that his original flight was not even one they had on their normal route schedule. It was a ghost flight. Never Again!
RouteWashington to Sal via Dakar

"delayed for 5 hours"

Trip Verified | Washington to Sal. No blanket or earplugs were provided even after I requested for it. No television or video or means to charge any electronics. Only 1 baggage is allowed and nothing of such was indicated when the ticket was purchased. We were delayed for 5 hours on our first flight from IAD to LOS and the returning flight from SAL to IAD was detoured to Boston with deception that the weather in Washington wouldn't let us land only to get to Dulles to see a perfect weather but they detoured to exchange their crew members.
RouteWashington to Sal
Date FlownDecember 2019

"Worst experience so far"

Trip Verified | Washington to Dakar via Sal. Worst experience so far traveling. The flight was delayed more than 8 hours and there was no information or support from the airline or airport staff. WiFi was unstable - spent hours trying to obtain WIFI to contact family. Cabo Verde customer service was not available or responding. Airport staff disappeared for hours with only police remaining (who would not speak English and spoke only Portuguese which they knew we did not understand) - very unhelpful. We were pretty much stranded for hours in a foreign country with no explanation whatsoever with unfriendly police around. I'll never travel with Cabo Verde or fly through Cape Verde again. I will definitely warn friends and family about my experience. No one deserves to be treated like this.
RouteWashington to Dakar via Sal
Date FlownDecember 2019

"it’s still a total joke"

Trip Verified | Fortaleza to Sal. I had decent hopes given the airlines takeover by icelandair, but it’s still a total joke. Check in confirmation confusingly suggests checked baggage is free, but airport staff say that the terms and conditions suggest otherwise, requiring a payment of $150 US per bag, the most extortionate baggage fee I’ve ever come across. And, there seems to be no other way to pay for baggage where not included. Airport staff are rude and mostly uninterested in helping you, especially if you don’t speak fluent Portuguese. The flight was delayed by an hour, departing about 02:00. The plane was an old Icelandair plane that has had its livery updated, meaning that the legroom is actually alright, but also that there are non-functional entertainment systems on board. Ridiculously, instead of just dimming cabin lights for sleep on a 3 1/2 hour flight, cabin crew insist on serving breakfast during turbulence at the beginning of the flight. Most passengers clearly just want to try and sleep, it’s ridiculous. Cabin crew also crashed the food trolleys into passengers, causing spillage of food waste in the aisle that wasn’t cleaned during the flight. Crew were mostly friendly but occasionally a bit disorganised. Overall I’d not recommend the experience.
RouteFortaleza to Sal
Date FlownJuly 2019

"I'll definitely fly again"

Trip Verified | Recently took a flight from Salvador, Brazil to Sal, Cape Verde. Thought the aircraft was an older 757-200, it was being leased from Icelandair, with updated leather seats, seat-back screens, etc. At 6'3, I had plenty of leg room. Considering the rock-bottom price I paid for the ticket, I was not really expecting much. The flight crew was efficient and friendly, the food was plentiful and (airline) tasty and they served us as much Portuguese red wine as we wanted. Looking forward to the return flight. I'll definitely fly again for future flights to Cape Verde or onward to Europe.
RouteSalvador to Sal
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"changed my flight 3 times"

(Belgium)

TACV Cabo Verde Airlines changed my flight 3 times and twice without even informing me. The only good thing about the flight was that it was cheaper than the others but still it was unacceptable. I had a flight to Natal and suddenly they cancelled that and sent me to Recife instead. First they were talking about a bus transfer, then there was not a bus transfer, and then eventually there was one. Last change of flight hour was a day before the flight. I had already booked my train ticket so I was there far too early. It was a flight of 10 hours and stopped in Amsterdam and in Faro, Portugal. This last stop was not even announced so we arrived much later in Sal. Luckily the next plane waited for us but they did not give us a new ticket, they just wrote my seat number on my last plane ticket and eventually ripped the ticket in two so I could have the seat number. I still have to go back to Paris and they have already changed this flight twice. Let's hope I will get home.
RouteCDG to NAT via SID
Date FlownJuly 2016

"the first and last time"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | On a tour of eight countries I had booked and paid for a return, direct flight Dakar-Praia (Cape Verde). To start with, I had been unable to check my flight online and had to call the airline office in Dakar to confirm its existence. I was further told to be at the airport four hours prior to the flight, which I did even though I had only a hand luggage. Once there I had to wait one hour and half before the check in was open. Obviously I was the first one. Then, the attendant noted that I wasn't on the flight manifesto but directed me to the counter where I was refused check in and told to wait for the person in charge with CV, who eventually turned up another thirty minutes later. He looked at my ticket, smiled and said that my flight was scheduled next week to which I answered that it was my date of return from CV. He looked again and decided that it was normal that I wasn't registered as I had bought my ticket six months earlier. I argued but he told that if I was going to get upset he couldn't do anything about it. I asked him to solve the problem rather that telling me I was in the wrong having a reserved, confirmed and paid in full ticket. He eventually called the centre, gave my eticket number: I was the checked in. The guy insisted on telling me that if my flight is not reconfirmed after three months, it is deleted from their termina . Unless I am mistaken this procedure has been abandoned decades ago, and even though, the need for reconfirmation was specified when required (or maybe it is specific to Senegal ) I boarded without any further inconvenience to find out that my two hour direct flight had been changed to a four hour trip stopping over at Sal before Praia (I had noticed that the flight number was not the same on my booking and my boarding pass) - never was contacted nor alerted whereas other airlines do send an update whenever needed. On the leg back from Praia to Dakar (I had made sure that it was the right flight and time by visiting the office in CV), no online check in either, but arrived two hours earlier, and had a smooth check in ( well, had to wait anyway as the immigration wasn't operating yet). The flight was initially scheduled at 10 PM: all passengers were left waiting until 11 PM without any information nor staff on the ground. I did approach someone (from TAP) who told me that he didn't know what happened but was aware that the plane had been delayed at Sal. I also asked an immigration officer to contact a staff, who said she was going to call someone but no one turned up until, at last, the staff appeared and opened the boarding gate. I complained about the lack of information, stressing that it was not nice to leave the people in the ignorance. They seemed surprised that no announcement had been made. The inflight experience was no thrill but the attendants were nice enough. Unacceptable behaviour on the ground and lack of organisation of a low cost company representing their country. Needless to say that it was the first and last time I was using this airline.
RouteDKR to RAI