Xiamen Airport

"the signage isn't helpful"

Verified Review | Having read earlier reviews of Xiamen Airport, I wasn't looking forward to going there and changing from international to domestic. First, whatever the airline tells you at your point of departure, you will have to re-check your bags on to domestic flights, and vice versa from domestic to international. From international to domestic, the signage isn't helpful. After collecting your bags go upstairs to the domestic check in area and re-check your bag at the transfer desk of your airline. Transferring from domestic to international, if the international check in section isn't open you just have to hang around until they open the doors. There are plenty of cafes and noodle bars. Once through the security screening go to the check in desk for your airline and re-check your bag in. In fact, at my point of departure (Changsha) they managed to check my bags through to Amsterdam but when I went to the check in desk to pick up my boarding pass for the next leg, there was my bag waiting for me to check it in. Apart from all that the airport is spacious and pleasant. Lots of shops and cafes. All the people I approached for assistance spoke good English.
Date VisitMay 2017

"nothing to kill time"

Verified Review | I knew that Xiamen is known for being not so passenger friendly when it comes to transfering and long stayovers. I read that most of the time they won't transfer your bag onwards, meaning that you would have to go through customs and claim your bag on landside. Knowing that, I was pleasantly surprised that there was ground staff waiting for all transfering passengers at the arrival gate where my KLM flight rolled in to. They guided me all the way through security and told me that I wouldn't have to reclaim my bag at first but in the end thay said I needed to. The airport itself is quite clean and has a simple layout, although I had only seen terminal 4 (int'l flights). All the signs were in english too. So from then on it was playing the waiting game. I must say that that the amount of shops and only 1 cafe wasn't to nice. Nothing to kill time unless trying something to eat. Only staff at the gate could speak proper English. I was surprised by the drinking water fountains to be found everywhere on the airport. After waiting for 10 hours was able to check in for my flight to Sydney. Once boarding commenced there was a problem with a lot of carry on bags, so that took a while. After boarding was finished everything was ready to go until the captain made an announcement that we were going to be delayed by almost an hour due to traffic. Once the flight departed it was a pleasant journey onwards to Sydney, where we arrived on time.
Date VisitJune 2016

"no buzz whatsoever"

A medium size airport. Clean and tidy, but very quiet. No buzz whatsoever. Not too many shops/food joints too. I was on a transit on my flight to Taipei and back. As the airline I flew with, didn't checkt through my luggage, I need to collect my checked luggage and checked in again. The Chinese immigration works efficiently but still a lot of paperwork and a long queue for the (transiting) passengers. The security checks still have old school metal detector ports and x-ray machines.
Date VisitMay 2016

Xiamen Airport customer review

Arrived at 1am after a heavily delayed flight from Lanzhou. Our gate was the furthest from the baggage hall in the new Terminal 4. After a long walk and a quick visit to the immaculately clean toilets, I collected my bags in a reasonable time. Naturally most of the shops were closed at this time and many passengers were sleeping in the arrivals hall on most of the benches. There was no line at all for the taxis, so I was able to quickly get away.
Date VisitJuly 2015

Xiamen Airport customer review

Beautiful airport. Navigation wasn't the best lots of basics missing. But pretty good in general.

(Israel)

Flights: NNG-XMN XMN-NIG. Little bit loaded (like all airports in China) incoming flight very efficient arrangements even if getting off the plane was by bus. Collecting luggage was fast and efficient going out -very fast. Outgoing on morning flight also very efficient very clear info. Very good shops for Chinese goods. Toilets were a bit unclean.

Xiamen Airport customer review

The worst airport in China for delays. I have flown from this airport a few times and every single trip I have taken has resulted in at least a minimum of 2 hour delays. As I write I am stuck on flight MF8335 to Shenzhen already delayed for 1.5 hrs and does not look like it will leave soon. Not only will I miss my connecting flight but also an important meeting.

Xiamen Airport customer review

Small airport but functioned perfectly. Arrived from Hong Kong to small queue's at Immigration efficient baggage carousels and even a long queue for taxis was marshalled and moved quickly. On departure on an internal Chinese flight check-in was reasonably efficient and security straightforward.

Xiamen Airport customer review

Convenient airport. Close to Xiamen city centre. Very good service staff quite efficient.

Xiamen Airport customer review

Used this airport for an internal flight. It was clean & efficient with loads of facilities shops cafes restaurants etc. Baggage trolleys are free as in all airports in China. In short a no fuss modern airport experience.