Tel Aviv Airport

"security was also horrendous"

(Norway)

Not Verified | The worst airport I've ever experienced. Queues are longer than US immigration, and at is just check-in. Security was also horrendous. Big crowd, no orderly lines, only 4 of 15-16 checkpoints open for no apparent reason. Travelled on June 14th 2018. General strike in the country or nepotistitically hired airport manager? Unbelievable. Way worse than developing countries, like traveling in th 90s! Over 2 hours to get through check-in and security, with more than 60 min being check-in queues.
Date VisitJune 2018

"my favourite airport"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | At first glance their is nothing special about TLV airport and does not look as if it was built for speed or efficiency. After deplaning their is a long walk to passport and the luggage carousels. We landed on Wednesday at 2.20 in the afternoon and by 3.00 were already at the train platform outside terminal 3. Our luggage was unloaded from the plane within minutes of landing we flew by passport control and to our surprise within minutes the carousel was spitting out our luggage. This puts Tel Aviv airport as my favourite airport.
Date VisitJune 2018

"extremely stressful and traumatic"

Trip Verified | Upon arrival at Terminal 1 I could barely get through the entrance as there were so many people blocking it. As a traveller who needed Special Assistance due to impaired mobility I could not see how I was going to get to any Special Assistance Desk or Information Desk as I could not even see over the mass of people. Eventually I saw what I hoped was a member of airport staff and approached him and informed him that I needed a wheelchair - his answer was “You have no chance!’ Then he pointed to a queue and told me to join it, after finding out which airline I was travelling with. Another female member of staff who had been standing with him then asked me to go with her and she would find me a seat whilst she would get a member of Easyjet staff to come to me. When the lady from Easyjet came to me she said there were no wheelchair available and I had two choices - either walk with her through check in and security or wait ‘hours’ on a wheelchair. I would add that I had booked Special Assistance when I booked the flight at least 5 months prior to travelling and had also spoken to the Special Assistance Team at Easyjet to confirm that I would be allowed to bring an extra carry on bag for medical aids and medication and therefore I was also carrying a doctor’s letter confirming all of the aforementioned details. After explaining that I was only able to walk or stand for very short periods the Easyjet assistant went away and returned a few minutes later to say a wheelchair would be supplied as soon as possible and she took my boarding pass and passport and got me checked in and a member of security came to me and after a few questions cleared me through security. When the wheelchair arrived I was taken to the boarding gate. When the flight began to board I was taken to a waiting area next to the tarmac and eventually transferred on to a vehicle which transfers passengers with disabilities out to the aircraft. As the fixed seating was limited and there was no seat left for me I was seated on a wheelchair that was in the vehicle. The wheelchair had no brake and as soon as the vehicle started to move the wheelchair started to move around dangerously and my husband who was travelling with me had to try to jam the wheelchair into a corner for my safety. I found this whole experience through Tel Aviv airport extremely stressful and traumatic and have never had this unacceptable level of Special Assistance in any other airport. I am writing this review hoping that it will be read and acted upon and that no one else will have to experience anything like this in the future.
Date VisitMay 2018

"manager was extremely rude"

Trip Verified | My flight to Barcelona was canceled because of the technical problem (2.04.2018). Since I have a connection flight I was seeking for help from airport staff including, information desk, ticket office, staff at the gate. Unfortunately, I did not find any help! The manager was extremely rude, she talked to me in absolutely unacceptable manner. I do not understand how you can employ people with this attitude to the job!
Date VisitApril 2018

"fairly well marked"

Not Verified | As a frequent business traveler I find the airport to be one of the easiest to check-in, clear security and go through immigration. I was dropped off, went to the business counter for Lufthansa and 20 minutes later I was in the poorest run business lounges I have ever had the displeasure to be in. But this is about the airport - easy to get around, light and spacious, fairly well marked and fairly friendly staff. There were lines for economy class for almost all airlines, but for business class I just went straight to the counter. Can't say the staff were friendly, fairly cold and efficient, but I'll take that over friendly, happy and incompetent staff!
Date VisitMarch 2018

"cannot praise him enough"

Trip Verified | As I have mobility problems I needed wheelchair assistance on the 5th March when I arrived from Eilat on my way home to the UK via Tel Aviv. My flight arrived at terminal 1 but I was transported to terminal 3 with the ambulift. However my flight went from terminal 1 and I had no way of getting back there on my own. The assistance gentleman went above and beyond his duty to care for me and to escort me in a wheelchair, with my suitcase, by shuttle bus to the right terminal. He then saw me through security and notified the check in desk that I needed help when the time came for me to check in for my ongoing flight. I cannot praise him enough.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Not a great advert for the country"

Trip Verified | We landed at Ben Gurion Airport at 17.30. We then waited for nearly two hours to clear immigration. The staff were slow and couldn't care less. I left like an Irish immigrant arriving in New York about 100 years ago. I travelled to China last year and they were much more friendly and efficient. Not a great advert for the country.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"It was a very civilized experience"

Trip Verified | I found the airport very easy to use. On arrival, at passport control, passports are not stamped, instead a small computer print out is issued which I then inserted into a scanning machine that let a turnstile open to let me into the baggage claim area. With no checked bags, I walked out and helpful information counter assistants gave me directions to an ATM machine and choices of transportation. I withdrew shekels using my home country issued ATM card. Shared taxis (called sheerut) were outside the departure section with their drivers asking exiting passengers their destination. The sheeruts wait for their minibuses to fill before they leave. I took a taxi instead - nearly four times more expensive though! Departing Tel-Aviv, I was prepared for the gauntlet of security barriers. A mile or so before the terminal, at a check-point, the taxi was stopped and a female guard asked to see my passport. At the terminal, I used the machine to print out my boarding card. Before going into immigration section, I was directed to an area for security questioning where two pleasant, young looking women asked me questions about myself - my name, my traditions, how did I come to airport, whether someone had given me anything to carry - and a sticker was put on the back of the passport. In the section with immigration officers, there were many automatic passport readers, one of which I used and similar to arrivals, a computerized printout was issued which I inserted into a gate and, voila, I was inside for security screening. Security staff were very helpful in managing the flow of passengers going through the x-ray machines. I did not have to take off shoes or belts or take out the liquids. It was a very civilized experience. The central hall of the departure lounge is high and round with variety of stores (similar to what you see at many airports or big cities) and eating places. Gave me the chance to spend my remaining shekels, Directions to the gates were easy to find and read. Printed directions were in Arabic, Hebrew, and English. Lots of chairs. The departure gate had been organized into sections for different boarding groups -- so it was not a free-for-all when boarding began. In sum, it was a very civilized exit from the country with no need to wait in line for a passport officer to stamp your document!
Date VisitDecember 2017

"one of my best airport experiences"

Trip Verified | I had read and been told the worst things about security measures and screening at this airport, so I had rehearsed and armed myself with lots of patience, expecting the worse. I must have had some luck though, since, first of all, I was travelling with carry-on luggage only, so I avoided the check-in or drop-off procedure (I had printed my boarding pass before arrival) so I headed directly to the boarding area. There is a special lane for business class passengers as well as those travelling with carry-on only, where I cleared security in less than 3 minutes. I was politely asked two basic security questions and unlike EU airports, did not even have to take out of my luggage liquids or tablets! Passport control was the same breeze (there is probably slightly less traffic on shabbat). The waiting area is spacious with some rather good food options. Surprisingly one of my best airport experiences!
Date VisitNovember 2017

"the most inefficient airport"

Verified Review | This is the most inefficient airport in terms of security and screening. I have been going through this for 2 hours! And it's not over. On top of that I am traveling with a senior citizen who doesn't speak Hebrew or English and they split us in two different security lines. What need is there to make a senior citizen uncomfortable when she is coming to your county to spend money on tourism.
Date VisitJuly 2017