Airline of the Year

Tel Aviv Airport

"one of the worst airport arrival experiences"

Verified Review | This really was one of the worst airport arrival experiences (and I have experienced hundreds including chaotic ones such as Dehli). There was a huge swell of a crowd which eventually had to narrow to the seven cubicles which were open to foreigners of the about thirty there. No officers were there to inform of the likely time or to ensure an orderly progression and of course as we milled forward the sixty or so wide crowd had to scrum into the seven (dual) lanes. I think we were luckier than many of the poor people way behind us which joined later and we only spent an hour in the shuffle. Really was expecting something that was at least half-organised. A most disappointing introduction to a wonderful country.
Date VisitMay 2017

"departure is an equal mess"

The passport control has huge lines on arrival. They really need to work on getting that time shorter and reducing the crowds. The VAT refund on departure is an equal mess as we had to go from one place to the next and walk for such a long time to finally get the 20$ and 15% of which they will hold back as commission.
Date VisitMay 2017

"is unfortunately still a nightmare"

I am using Tel Aviv airport several times a year. The process of checking-in and security controls has improved over the last few years but is unfortunately still a nightmare. I fully understand the security controls but the (90%) unmotivated staff makes it terrible. The airport facilities itself could need a refresh, a lot looks old and used. The food court is mostly a mess although they try to clean it quite frequently.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"found the whole process to be very efficient"

I arrived early at Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion Airport in anticipation of the vigorous security checks that are undertaken for departures. I ended up waiting around for quite awhile in the check-in desk area as it wasn't possible to check in until 3hrs before departure - pretty tedious. However, they did invite those of us already there to start going through security about 3.5hrs before hand, so all was not lost. I have to say I found the whole process to be very efficient. I think the experience of going through security here is probably different for everyone, I was definitely subjected to more questioning because I was travelling alone and I'd also visited some other countries in the Middle East, but the staff were all very courteous and professional. Once I checked in I went through an additional check of my carry-on luggage, which again was thorough but very efficient and very professional. I would most definitely suggest that people get to the airport early in Tel Aviv though, I think I was lucky as it was probably a quiet time of year. If you hit the airport during a peak (especially around the Jewish High Holidays) you could easily get caught up in some long queues I'd imagine. Beyond the security, the rest of the airport was pretty humdrum if I'm honest. The food options were limited and not very exciting and most of the shops (not something that interests me much at airports anyway) were just Duty Free places to souvenir places.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"security is a pain"

Very confusing arrival into Tel Aviv at 5am. Transit area was closed so had to exit airport which meant long unorganised queue waiting to go through customs. No staff able to help me transit to next flight, from baggage claim had to find departures and go through security again. Two levels of security, first someone looks through your passport and ask why you visited each stamp in there and all details about your home, family, and work. Then you go through a more detailed security where your entire carry on is emptied and inspected. There is a long security line since all foreigners take 20 min each to get their bags searched and answer all their questions. All the while those with local passports bypass you. Once you get past security you enter duty free which is very large shopping area. There is only one food court and very expensive such as sandwich and coffee meal $10, burger combo $20. There is also sushi, kebabs, pizza. Currency exchange charges $3 commission which is hefty so use your foreign currency directly in shops as their rate is better. There is sufficient seating, clean bathrooms, and ample charging stations. There is only one lounge available to public. I had a few hours in transit but didn't find any seats where I could sleep so only option is dirty floor. Overall airport is very small with limited food and shopping. I would not transit through there again, too boring, security is a pain, expensive. The least they could do is offer more comfortable seating, modernise with some lounges and sleeping areas for long transits.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"nice airport, efficient service"

(Israel)

Tel Aviv is a very nice airport with efficient service in all aspects - check-in, security and passport control. I have traveled in a few airports in my life but I never seen an airport this efficient and clean. We flew on passover which is a time of big movement of passengers and we got to the duty free in less than half an hour. The only disadvantage is the food and beaverage have high prices.
Date VisitApril 2016

"small and efficient"

(Israel)

Tel Aviv is a small and very efficient airport. Although we used this airport during holiday season everything was ready and works normally. Security checks were quick, and check–in was fast. Personal security check was quick and passport control has short wait. When you come into terminal, everything is clear, signs and announcements are clear, no problem to find your way. Prices of food are very expensive, more then other international airports. It is pity that airport management does not do anything about. Prices of "duty free" shops also high.
Date VisitMay 2016

"big choice of stores"

(Israel)

I was departing from Tel Aviv Terminal 1 of the airport, which is in use for low-cost and domestic flights. The staff at the terminal were friendly and there weren`t any long queues (less than 10-minutes). Although the security checks in Ben Gurion Airport are known as very strict, this time I passed through it fast (perhaps because of the fewer number of passengers in this secondary terminal). The queue in the passport control was very fast too. Then me and other passengers were transferred by bus to the main terminal 3 where all the retail and duty-free shops are located, and obviously the gates (the bus is a comfortable airside bus and the ride between terminals takes few minutes). There is a big choice of stores, from perfumes to kids stuff and toys, it`s all there. There are play areas for children. The gates are comfortable with a plenty of space to sit. Free unlimited WIFI connection. The boarding for the aircraft is usually by an airbridge but there are 6 gates with bus stands, so I can`t promise you that you`ll board the aircraft directly.
Date VisitJuly 2015

"great atmosphere"

At Tel Aviv Airport the duty free shops open 24/7, which is always a plus in my opinion. Even if you're not buying, the airport feels alive at all times, people rushing in and out. It's a great atmosphere, relatively small but very cozy. The directions are clear and easy to understand in any language, and queuing times are tolerable and there are numerous desks available at all times so that is a plus as well. Of course with the duty free shops you have some decent cafēs, I would give the shopping experience a 5 but for the relatively high prices. There is a lot of choice and there is a variety of artistic structures in the shopping area which makes it pleasant to take a seat and simply wait.
Date VisitDecember 2015

"quick, friendly and helpful"

I was waiting to check in on 30th March at about 2pm and unexpectectly my daughter had a seizure. Called for medical help and the nurse that attended to her was quick, friendly and helpful and provided whatever care was needed. I want to thank all staff members who attended to us. Overall our trip was excellent.
Date VisitMarch 2016