Sydney Airport

"not a good look Sydney airport"

Unverified | On arriving last night from Auckland I went to the first available toilet in the airport prior to immigration screening and was, once again, shocked by the state of the toilets in general - in particular every toilet bowl was dirty (looked liked the toilets had not been cleaned for days). Together with toilet paper strewn all over the floors, dirty and stained tiles in the stalls, stained toilet seats - altogether a very unpleasant, third world experience. This was also the experience I found when arriving once again from Auckland in February 2017 - I thought it may be a one-off experience and there might have been a reason (cleaners strike?) so passed it off. Apparently this appears to be the norm - which is very embarrassing for Australians in general as international travellers are seeing this as their first experience to the country. Last night people were queuing up to use one or two toilets that were not as filthy rather than use the dirty ones - not a good look Sydney airport - time to lift your game and pay cleaners who do a decent job.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Absolutely the worst airport"

(New Zealand)

Unverified | Absolutely the worst airport on the planet. 6 out of 6 visits. Everytime there is a delay for arrivals and departure. We missed our connecting flight because the plane did not have a free gate to go to. So we waited on the tarmac for half an hour. Now I am trying to depart but it's late because the plane is probably can't get to the gate!

"Well done Sydney"

Verified Review | Arrived on SQ241 from Singapore, we were sitting in row 53. Wheels touched down on the runway at 16.10. We left the plane and went through the electronic passport readers. When we reached the baggage collection our suitcase was already on the carousel. We headed through Customs for the airport hotel which is over the road from the terminal. We entered our room at 16.40. Well done Sydney.

"really needed to hurry"

We flew Air NZ61 from Rarotonga to Sydney. Due to bad weather our flight was prevented from landing for about 30 min. We were picked up by ground staff as my husband needed a wheelchair. Our Virgin flight to Melbourne was at 10 pm. We had a speedy pick up of luggage, immigration and customs checks. We really needed to hurry. The lady took us to the bus stop and dropped us at the disabled access. The only problem was there were no busses at that time. If she would have taken us to the train we might have made it. You would think that ground staff that assist people in wheelchairs would know the timetable and not just dump people.
Date VisitJune 2017

"they leave a bad impression"

Verified Review | How times change. In 1983 I found Sydney airport toilets clean and fresh, and Indian airport toilets an "experience". Now I find Indian airport toilets clean and fresh, and Sydney airport toilets tired and not that clean. The toilets in domestic really need to be freshened up, they leave a bad impression.
Date VisitJune 2017

"an amazingly quick process"

Verified Review | For such a busy airport an amazingly quick process. Arrived at 10.30 at Virgin terminal for noon departure. Entered through priority entrance 15 steps out of Uber (skyteam elite plus/ VA gold or platinum ) exactly one person in front of me. Boarding pass and x-ray machine combined under 1 minute. Nice lounge as well. Gate 6 within 5 minutes from lounge. I wonder if all visitors know about this fantastic elite feature.
Date VisitMay 2017

"gate signs were misleading"

(Italy)

I had an international flight from Brisbane to Venice via Sydney. Once arrived at Sydney domestic terminal, I had no idea how to get to international terminal, I asked a few people, and they informed me that there was a transfer bus or train which I had to pay for - $6 for a 5 minute trip, daylight robbery. Where normally in all airports around the world have free transfers. Once I worked out where the transfer bus stop was and paid for it, I was panicking that I would miss my flight. Once at the international terminal, the gate signs were misleading, had to ask 2 people which way were gates 50-63, it took me 15 minutes to walk fast to gate 61, with the staff urging me to hurry and being paged, I arrived on board so stressed. This is a huge disservice to guests travelling internationally and I hope never to fly from Sydney airport again. This awful experience has left me very angry and appalled.
Date VisitApril 2017

"requires more staff"

Sydney is a terrible airport. No information, confusing, lost property was unattended. Clearly this airport is being run into the ground by private management. In desperate need of renovation, requires more staff, and needs to be reorganised.

"Queuing is minimal"

Verified Review | Sydney is not the flashest Airport but where it counts it is the best I've experienced. The reason. EGATES or Smart Gates. When you get off the plane if you are from a dozen or so countries you can use the EGATES. Simply put your passport in to be read, get the ticket, have your eyes scanned and off you go. Where Sydney stands out (because many airports have this facility) is that you go through the same process on departure. Queuing is minimal and you are out past security in no time. I'm not fussed that the first thing after security is you have to go through a very large Duty Free area, but the rest of the airport is continually being upgraded with shopping experiences and plenty of nice eating venues. Some areas are a bit tired but you can see improvements being made. I do think that it is a bit rich that you have to pay for trolleys. That's bad form.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"the terminal looked quite dated"

Verified Review | Arrived at Sydney Terminal 1 at 6.30 on Wednesday morning. Walk to arrivals from the gate was quite long and the terminal looked quite dated. Was confused about e-passport kiosks as signage isn't great and no information was given. Had to walk through a duty free shopping area, which was confusing. Managed to use the e passport kiosks round the corner and the process was really easy. Signage was good and the queue for the e passport gates was really short. Didn't have to wait a long time for baggage and the queue for customs/quarantine went really quick. Pleasantly surprised at the ease of arriving. Terminal building definitely needs updating though.