Sydney Airport

"desperately needs an upgrade"

Trip Verified | I think Sydney Airport desperately needs an upgrade. It’s not just the airport itself, but also the roads leading up to the airport. The inefficiency was astounding, with the traffic lights near the airport only allowing a maximum of 6 cars through each time, which resulted in a 15min long wait. The taxi from the airport to our hotel cost us about $60, but the trip to the departure terminal cost us over $100. What if people are in a rush? Is everyone expected to leave for their flight four hours beforehand so as to ensure that they wouldn’t get caught in the traffic? The roads simply do not have the capability to keep up with the inflow of passengers. In addition to that, the use of technology instead of staff to aid in the check-in of baggages only served to slow us (and other passengers in front of us) down. The automated bag drop off could not scan our baggage tags, and only when we asked the staff for help did they mention that the tags need to be on the side of the luggage. If the machines are incapable of scanning bag tags attached “wrongly”, signs informing people of where to place their tags would be more welcome. We did not have this problem in Melbourne. Singapore’s airport updated their system after being met with the same problem, and I hope that Sydney will do the same, because we wasted another 20min on that. Finally, my sister’s face could not be recognised at the face recognition device during immigration. The man in front of me didn’t know how to use the machine. I suggest having a mixture of counters staffed by humans and the electronic ones to increase efficiency.
Date VisitJune 2018

"bag collection the slowest experienced"

Trip Verified | I travel through Sydney International terminal every two to three weeks. My common destinations are LHR, DFW, Philly, Birmingham, JFK, AKL. I don't know why, but Sydney airport is the only one I visit that has a single lane entry for departing passengers. This single entry lane means the time I need to allow to travel just from the exit lane of the M5 tunnel to the departure doors is around 20 mins. All other airports I visit have multiple lanes (and no light-sabre-waving officials) as part of a ring system and all take far less time to access than Sydney and most are much bigger than Sydney. Once in the airport, things are not too bad until after passing through customs, where you're thrust into a Westfield-esque shemozzle carefully designed for you not to be able to easily find your departure gate. On arrival, things are definitely designed to destroy the will of the traveller. Immigration is reasonable. Bag collection is the slowest I experience in all airports I visit, and the old technology sloping carousels are the most destructive of baggage but the worst feature is that the traveller has to lug his/her baggage over 200 metres to meet anyone coming to collect him/her, in an exceptionally dangerously designed pick-up area (cars, parking, have to compete with people scurrying to other cars, causing frequent problems, and requiring officers attempting to mitigate the mayhem. All it requires is a loop system multi-lane drive-by immediately outside the baggage collection and welcoming area (like all other airports!) So simple and so easy to use for tired travellers.
Date VisitMay 2018

"worst airport to get into"

Not Verified | Sydney International Airport must be the worst airport to get into during peak hour. It takes an hour traveling from intersections robey street and Qantas drive to the drop off at international airport departures. There’s construction going on at the moment, building lanes after lanes with one lane entering the entrance of the Airport. This is why the traffic jam occurs. Sydney Airport has figured out how to make money with building multistory car parks, but haven’t figured out that 4 lanes into one lane equals traffic jam! Do something about Sydney Airport!
Date VisitApril 2018

"Searched for water bubblers"

Trip Verified | Searched for water bubblers whilst departing and arriving at Sydney domestic airport. Was unable to find a fountain on our departure but just passed a single fountain right near the exit to baggage claim in a corridor upon our arrival. If the airport was serious about customer service and the environment they would ensure that water fountains were scattered generously around the airport.
Date VisitApril 2018

"lots of shops and restaurants"

Trip Verified | Sydney Airport has two terminals, one for domestic, and the other for international flights. Transfer between the two can be made by trains or buses. Please note, train journeys, start or end at airport terminals have an extra 14 AUD added to the ticket price. The international terminal has lots of shops and restaurants.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"tiring stay at this airport"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Very rough transit staff, very expensive and not good at all to transit here. No smoking room or area, very disappointed with airport policies. Really tiring stay at this airport because of no entertainment, nothing to do apart from sit and do nothing, very sad.

"That's a disgrace"

Trip Verified | When I arrived at Sydney Airport in the morning of March 10th, I checked out currency rates at one of the booths outside the arrivals hall. I wanted to exchange Canadian dollars for Australian dollars, and they are within a few pennies of each other. I have no problem paying a commission which in this case was fourteen dollars on a two hundred dollars but I do have a problem being cheated. I was told my two hundred Canadian dollars were worth o+ne hundred and twenty eight Australian after commissions. You do the math. That's a disgrace. I really hope the airport authorities will clean this up, as it's an embarrassment for such a wonderful country. We all need to make a profit but keep it reasonable. I used the bank machine, got the correct rate within a few points and paid a two dollar fee! Be aware if you are using currency exchange in the arrivals hall. Same company as outside!
Date VisitMarch 2018

"quite expensive to eat there"

Not Verified | Generally its quite expensive to eat there in Arrivals or departures. Seating at gates okay. I hate the long walk through all the duty free at international departures, a real pain. Arrivals hall old and dingy and gets very crowded in international arrivals.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"difficult to use by passengers"

Not Verified | Sydney Airport is difficult to use by passengers. It is confused, chaotic, poorly signed and has inferior pedestrian and auto access. I travel often for both business and pleasure. I'm sure I'm not alone in sharing with you my always unpleasant experience when using Sydney International. Access Departure: This terminal has only a single vehicle lane supplying the departures check-in areas. In most cases, my driver must wait in a queue (monitored by baton-waving officers) for some time before I can get to the departures doors. Sometimes the queue extends all the way back to half way down the exit filter lane in the M5 tunnel. And all this time it is only single lane. And it causes impatience by some drivers, who then break laws out of frustration. After checking in, there is only one channel to the customs control, often causing unnecessary delay. After passing through customs, the traveller is expelled into a chaotic, Westfield-esque experience where signs guiding people to gate lounges (a major reason people going to airports!) are rare and not obvious. Access Arrival: After leaving the aircraft, travellers walk to the randomly placed auto passport process stations, then to the baggage carousels, all of which work reasonably (placing of the auto passport stations should be thought out better, it's too random). After collecting bags, and passing through immigration control, travellers are then faced with something no other airport I travel to anywhere in the world does, namely, a very unpleasant and exhausting unreasonably long (more than 200 metres) walk to an exceptionally poorly designed pick-up area. The points I raised above are all peculiar to Sydney airport. Particularly, the last point is addressed in all other international airports I use, by having a multi-lane ring road passing to a concourse immediately outside the airport exit doors so cars can briefly stop to collect their weary traveller. Usually, at the end of the concourse is a taxi and shuttle dedicated area. I make these comments because I am tired of using Sydney Airport, and because it is a source of complaint from overseas visitors.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Sydney Airport is too small"

Trip Verified | We were told by a relative to allow 3 hours to get through Sydney Airport for our evening flight to Kuala Lumpur by Malaysia Airlines. 3 hours to get through the airport, I thought. Checking In: We saw 2 lines of queue going to the checking desks. A short one (baggage drop - online checked in) and a long one (complete check in). The long queue was about 6 times longer than the shorter queue. We opted for the shorter queue, but we found that it was crawling relative to the long queue. After more than 40 minutes, we dropped our baggage at the desks. I noticed that people who joined the other longer queue were attended to earlier than us. This is not right as we had made the effort to check in online. Immigration: There were queues to the immigration desks, but this was civilised compared to the Malaysia Airlines check-in procedure. Security: This, in my opinion, was not up to international standard of a major airport. Firstly, there were long queues to go to the screening hall. It appeared to be confusing, people being split up to the various screening areas. As we progressed up, there was more confusion, the last of that group would go first and people were who went through the process, had to go through repeatedly. I accept that are following an established protocol, but it appeared really confusing. The staff appear to look harassed. Secondly, the queue moved so slowly. We were there for more than 30 mins at least. It was not calm and orderly. And finally, there was the “mayhem” in the boarding process. Malaysia Airlines boards by seat numbers with the passengers at the back going in first. The point being, there are people who can see that the boarding process has started but they do not know exactly what is happening. Are they being called to board? There are no obvious signage or clear audio announces to inform passengers what was happening. Because they were not sure of the announcement, anxious for more information about their situation, they moved to the front. As a result, the area around the boarding area is packed with people. This full plane load of people blocked the main hall where other passengers have to cross to catch their respective flights. This is not a very civilised manner to board a plane in a modern-day airport. From the experience that I had, Sydney Airport is too small for the passenger number it is handling. It should be enlarged for the increasing number of passengers going through.
Date VisitDecember 2017