Sydney Airport

Facilities 12345

Review by (Australia) 29th July 2015

Flying SYD-SGN we arrived in good time on the train. The train is the most convenient way to the airport but is an absolute rip-off. I believe it’s the most expensive train trip in the world per passenger kilometre. After check in, immigration and bag security were quite smooth and efficient. Then through the duty-free maze to gate 37. On 2 visits to the mens toilets I found 4 others waiting for the cubicles, so I ventured to the nearest toilets only to find they were for women. There was a walk or about 100 metres to the nearest Mens’ room. Later, while waiting for my wife, I saw 7 men of different nationalities walk into the corridor for the women’s toilet. .
Date Visit29-07-2015

Review by (New Zealand) 22nd July 2015

Traveling to Bangkok, and due to a late arrival from AKL, we had 45 minutes to connect to our next flight. Asking for directions was useless, the staff gave conflicting instructions and we ended up sprinting from one end of the terminal to the other, through dangerous construction. Signs were removed for painting, detours lead to walls, and lifts were out of service. After a 4th set of bad instructions, we finally found where we needed to be, which was down a long staircase. Construction gear was pushed to one side on the stairs, and all the safety tape removed. My mother tripped on the unsecured stairs, and landed at the bottom. Staff nearby laughed, and I had to help my injured mother into the Emirates lounge, where we received assistance. Utterly appalling.
Date Visit22-08-2014

Review by (Australia) 20th July 2015

My mother and I arrived in Sydney on a flight from London via Malaysia. I am a dual citizen (British and Australian) but my mother only holds a British passport. Upon arrival at the airport, we decided I should go to the queue for Australian passport holders so I could quickly collect our luggage while my mother queued with the other passport holders. In hindsight, this was a huge mistake. I, myself took about 30 minutes to get through passport control and immediately went to collect our luggage. I waited for my mother at the bottom of the stairs for a further 20 minutes before becoming concerned. I had no choice but to leave my luggage unattended and return up the steps to passport control to see if she was okay. At the top of the steps I was promptly told by a customs official that I couldn't stand there. I told him I was waiting for my mother. He just smirked at me and just said she should have gone through with me as family can go through with citizens. I explained there were no signs stating this until you actually got to the passport official by which time it was too late. His manner was awful, he couldn't have cared less. I went back down to my luggage and waited a further 10 minutes, becoming more and more concerned. I told a second official that my mum needed assistance. He escorted her to the front of the queue and I once again returned to our luggage. A further 5 minutes passed, I went back up and saw my mum being made to fill out an 'ebola document'. Finally, she was ushered through, hardly able to stand up and was provided with a wheelchair. I find the behaviour of the staff appalling.
Date Visit20-07-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (New Zealand) 11th July 2015

I transited via Sydney on flight from Dubai to Christchurch. After doing the same same 8 hours earlier in Bangkok what a difference. Transit area was close to where we got off plane. Security check efficient and friendly. Once checked through lots of facilities available, currency exchange, shopping food, and lounging seats. Also wifi as well as free computers if you didn't have electronic device of own. There was a charging station also which had USB option if you didn't have correct electrical plug. This was heaven compared to Bangkok.
Date Visit11-07-2015

Review by (Australia) 28th June 2015

We are regular users of T1 and can sympathize with a lot of the previous comments here. But on this last trip all was well. An 8am departure saw us check in and thru emigration and security without any delays. The border patrol guy even had time for a chat. Have never seen the airport so deserted. Toilets airside were clean and most of the food places were open. Arrival back in the early evening was the same story. Of course my passport wouldn't scan (it seldom does) but went straight thru the manual check without delay. My partner (American passport) went thru the automated system without problems. Luggage was soon available and customs/quarantine was also quick. Landing to airport hotel room in 40 mins. Sometimes you can be lucky.
Date Visit27-06-2015

Review by (Australia) 20th June 2015

Although the facilities are new the airport is clean. The airport has one of the worst immigration and custom processing facilities in the world. It isn't unusual to find that only one luggage security scanner is operating. The queue is always hopelessly long, and the immigration personnel can be very rude. I suppose with the monopoly of being the only airport in Sydney, they can afford to do so. The parking charges are incredibly expensive. Trying to squeeze too much infrastructure within the limited space, has turned their car park into something resembling a maze. The lane lines are confusing. The signage is poor. The congestion entering and exiting the airport is incomprehensible for a modern city. Trying to drive along Qantas Drive during peak hours is like driving through peak hours in the city, one could hardly move. Perhaps it is time that Sydney has a second airport.
Date Visit20-06-2015

Review by (Australia) 11th June 2015

My wife and I use the Sydney International Terminal for convenience at least once a year on average and we feel that nothing has changed in a long time. The International Airport Terminal itself has the appearance of a tired, old world and filthy patchwork quilt. Operationally it is expensive, pokey, dirty and noisy and has officials with attitude. The treatment of passengers in arrivals is dysfunctional and nothing short of embarrassing. On our last arrival my wife's electronic passport was declined three times and she was obliged to get back into the long non resident immigration arrival line along with other frustrated passengers. Asian arrivals waiting for the rest of their party behind the cramped immigration area were shouted at to get down the narrow filthy steps into the baggage area "or else". No directions, no guidance, no one asking for our Ebola Forms and most of the people on our flight making a quick straight line from immigration into the Arrivals Hall uninterrupted without baggage or any other checks. Filthy amenities, washrooms where people still need to touch and push doors to access toilet areas. This International Terminal operation wouldn't rate as a regional/country airport in most other countries and remains a national embarrassment.

Review by (Australia) 31st May 2015

Truly dreadful - national embarrassment. Since taking over Macquarie Bank has only invested in the things that give them a return. So almost constant extensions to the world's most expensive car parks and ever more modern looking shopping areas. Alas the rest of T1 is left to rot. Tired old building that is poorly maintained and rarely cleaned. An inbound immigration sections that could barley cope with 707s let alone A380s. Macquarie will never invest in what could be called 'the public infrastructure' even modestly. So no grade separated pedestrian and road bridges like other airports - cheaper to just paint on a pedestrian crossing and watch the chaos. Despite pocketing a taxi surcharge the taxi rank is cattle race with pathetic vehicle circulation. Macquarie are too stingy to even put up a covered walkway from the terminal to their monopoly priced car park. An utter disgrace.

Review by (Thailand) 19th April 2015

I and my colleagues went to New Zealand together and transited at Sydney Airport during Thai New Year Holiday. There were so many tour groups in the queue. At first we were waiting in a different line but after a while the flux of the tour group crowd were pushing us to the back. That wasn't the worst thing airport staff seem not bother managing the tour groups the small groups or individual travelers. There were bunches of individual travelers trying to cut the line with the reason that their flight was boarding. We were almost late for boarding our flight. We finally had to ask the Officer to help us with the queue when we had only 10 minutes left before boarding time but the Officers didn't bother to do anything. I suggest the airport looks at managing the queuing system to at least separate the lines by the group size of travelers and the next flight time.

Review by (Australia) 8th April 2015

Passengers off just one A380 queued up nearly back to the embarkation point trying to navigate through to the arrivals hall - poor signage and few instructions. No staff were coming through the queue and directing tired and frustrated passengers down to the numerous kiosks positioned by the smartgates - so no-one knew they could form different lines. Half of the kiosks seemed to reject passports which shouldn't have been rejected so it took a number of attempts again leaving painful queues. If you could successfully get the kiosk to work the smartgate then rejected some of the tickets. After that to be faced with seemingly surly and rude customs officers and being pushed into ever decreasing space which took forever to exit through the 'nothing to declare' channel made for a truly wonderful experience! Compared with so many other airports around the world dreadful.