Top 100 Airlines

Sydney Airport

"slow and unpleasant"

(Papua New Guinea)

It had been 5 years since I used Sydney for international and I'm pretty sure it's gotten worse. Arrival was no problem and I even got my baggage 20 minutes after deplaning, compared to the hour-long waits in the past (but this was probably unusually fast given that I typically wait 30 minutes for baggage at the domestic terminal). Departing was much worse. Long queues at check in and security - the staff are efficient, if unfriendly, it's just that the passenger numbers greatly exceed the capacity. Then airside is a warren of narrow spaces and it took ages just to find some truly awful cafes and some crowded seating and toilets. I've got no good advice to give - the airport works, it's just slow and unpleasant. Allow plenty of time and use Melbourne if you're connecting. Sydney's international terminal is a great example of why you shouldn't privatise a monopoly.
Date VisitMay 2016

"overpriced designer goods"

Departure was bearable (as I can sit in the lounge), however the whole place is just geared to selling you overpriced designer goods. All food options are of the 'fast' variety. Would you like chips with your new Gucci handbag? The early morning arrival back home was a shambles - a similar experience to every other time I arrive in Sydney. Baggage took forever to arrive (what takes less than 10 minutes at Singapore, takes Sydney staff 45 minutes). Well over an hour to get through. Embarrassing.
Date VisitApril 2016

"signage is unclear"

(Hong Kong)

I was transitting in Sydney from Auckland to Hong Kong. My flight was delayed and I had just 1 hour for the transit which was tight. When the flight arrived from AKL it took a long time for the passengers to deplane. The plane parked far away from the terminal and the transfer bus was driven very slowly. In the terminal the signage is unclear and I could not find the transit desk - because time was short I did not have time to collect my second boarding pass at the transit counter. The security check for transit had a long line and the check was slow. When I arrived at the boarding gate it was about 10 minutes before departure. The staff at the boarding gate were shouting at me about my boarding pass - I explained everything and they helped me to check in. I was warned my luggage may not go with the flight but surprisingly it made it. Did not find the attitude of staff that professional and the transit service was stressful.
Date VisitJuly 2015

"staff were efficient"

It took 10 minutes from the plane door to the airport car park at 7 am last week. The arrivals hall appeared packed but the automatic gates were working well and we didn't have to wait for luggage. The staff were efficient. Still the international airport as a whole is a national disgrace. The only, and never ending, renovations being undertaken are only to the shopping areas. The gate lounges are woefully inadequate for larger planes and the arrivals section feels cheap and cramped. the arrival drop off traffic always seems to be chaotic. Not the best welcome to the country.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"dirty and poorly organized"

Over 45 minute queue to enter the airport rental car entrance (@ 9 am on a Sunday morning). Lane signage was almost non existent until the very last moment making it necessary to circle the airport and get in line over 1/2 mile before the first rental car exit lane sign. The Airport is dirty and poorly organized funneling every departing international passenger through a single doorway into two mammoth snaking queues to automated passport scanners that do not recognize changes in men's facial hair, requiring yet another queue for additional screening.

"an international embarrassment"

Currently stuck on plane after recent international trip because aerobridge does not work. Arrived 2 weeks ago on last trip. Exiting the international terminal through quarantine was a 40 minute shambles - bags all over floor near carousels. No organisation of quarantine lines. This airport is an international embarassment and a disgrace.

"Can we do better"

Well things certainly looked better than in the past. The surrounds were cleaner the usual but it was Sunday morning and there were several flights in from Tokyo. There must have been 40 people waiting for nearly an hour for their skis to be off loaded. Meanwhile, all manner of staff moved backwards and forwards looking on with interest at the gathering crowd. A note in the toilets suggest a particular number be called if there was a need for attention. I wondered whether is should call to let whomever know that most of the toilet seats were in need of urgent repair and cleaning as they hang to one side with screws missing. Can we do better? Surely we can.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"an embarrassment for Sydney"

As a Sydneysider, I am extremely embarrassed and ashamed of this airport. By far the people working at the international airport are the rudest and most unfriendly airport staff I have ever come across. Once when I was departing Sydney Airport using the new self service gates where you scan your passport, I was quite slow as I was unfamiliar with using it. When I asked for their help, instead of being helpful, they were utterly rude speaking to me in a condescending tone as if I didn't understand English. Also, Sydney Airport is known to be one of the most outdated international airports in the world and this doesn't help when there are ongoing renovations being undertaken, with signs not put in place clearly and dirty floors. This airport is truly an embarrassment for Sydney, a complete disgrace with rude and arrogant airport staff.
Date VisitDecember 2015

"security comically overzealous"

Out of the dozen or so airports I've been to Stdney is the worst. We had to transfer between the domestic terminal (mediocre with some issues but not the worst ever) to the International terminal. It's a setup I've seen before but there is no complimentary tram or shuttle to transport passengers you have to pay $6/person to take the train or bus. I've never encountered this particular situation, but, it's a fast reliable system, so we dealt with it. Security was comically overzealous during our transfer, ensuring our safety by thoroughly searching my bag for a pair of nail clippers, which I then was forced to throw away, despite having no issue carrying them onboard at 4 previous airports (including Sydney domestic) within the last few weeks. We moved on our way to grab some lunch as we hadn't eaten in several hours and we would be transferring to a long flight. But wait, where are the restaurants? After wandering past multiple expensive duty-free shops, we were unable to find a single restaurant. Reviewing a map showed there were 2 or 3 options about 10 minutes away in another wing, so we marched along that way. Once we arrived, we were shocked to find, our choices were limited to a few fast food places, the highest quality of which seemed to be McDonald's. In a large international airport in a major metropolitan area, the star food option is McDonald's. We opted for some quick items from a couple of the low-quality food chains, one of which was okay, and the other of which was disgusting and pricey. It looked like the main duty free area was under construction, but why on earth would they not leave a couple of restaurants open? Do they really think tired travelers are more interested in expensive designer purses and trinkets than they are in a decent meal? This airport is an embarrassment to Sydney, which is a shame, because it's an awesome city. I'm glad I saw the city before the International airport. If I ever visit again, I'll do everything in my power to avoid the airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"bags were delivered very fast"

Leaving on QF 23 on 21st January, a very quick check in and through to Business Class lounge in a few minutes despite the e-passport machine not reconising me, but the staff and immigration staff were very good. Arriving on 30th January on EK 418 at 9am. The airport was nearly empty. Straight off plane, through to Duty free and then to Immigration, very nice lady smiling and happy. Bags were delivered very fast and then through to exit. A very fast exit so from plane to taxi about 25 mins. Fantastic.
Date VisitJanuary 2016