Santiago De Chile Airport

"airport is very badly laid out"

Trip Verified | I did both international and domestic arrivals and departures. International arrivals were ok - the airport is very badly laid out but has lots of signs in Spanish and English and immigration was fast. Luggage collection is crowded and the customs entry is confusing - they x-ray everything but pay very little attention to it. Airport taxis seemed honest and well-organised but expensive ($28,000 to Las Condes) but if you don't use the official booths, you will be accosted by hoards of aggressive taxi drivers at the exit. Departure is much worse. The check-in area is crowded and confusing, although staff were helpful and most of the time, check-in was fast. Emigration and security can be very slow (took me 50 minutes one time) but could also be fast. Consider arriving more than 2 hours ahead. After security, you go through the most crowded and labyrinthine duty free shop that I've ever seen (decent alcohol prices but terrible chocolate prices and the staff are terrible - allow a lot of time). There is not enough space airside and passengers like to queue up half an hour before boarding but there's nowhere for the queues to go, so they block corridors. Wifi was barely usable on every visit. This is a terrible airport in most respects but they could fix a lot of problems by expanding the terminal and hiring more staff.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"worst airport I have ever experienced"

Trip Verified | This is the worst airport I have ever experienced. It took 2 hours 30 minutes from getting off the plane to exiting the terminal and I have travelled to over 50 countries and had over 20 flights to over 13 countries in the last year. It was 50 minutes though customs and 1 hour and 40 minutes through baggage claim.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"airport progressively overcrowded"

Verified Review | Horrible experience at Santiago, possibly the worst I have ever had. Already on the two legs to arrive here I was having a really bad time with LATAM being very disorganised and unhelpful. This was stunning enough in this day and age I have flown with them in the past and was no issues but this time the level of incompetence was mind blowing and very frustrating. Arriving at the airport it was very confusing there were a few hundred people in a massive queue for transit. there was no clear signage and every now and then someone would yell out from the counter something that those in the back of the queue couldn't hear. Eventually I worked out that the queue was to get a boarding pass for the next leg. On my previous two legs LATAM couldn't get it together to give me so I had to queue in the confusion for 2 hours while people were freaking out, missing planes, yelling, people were jumping the queue and others were yelling at them etc. There was only a couple of young staff who seemed frazzled and confused as the rest of us. Total chaos. Eventually getting through the tight security screening area which was overcrowded and the staff were pushy and rude with cleaners pushing their way through. I went up to the transit lounge to find the airport progressively overcrowded, eventually finding out that my next plane was over two hours late and lots of other planes late. The gates were way overcrowded at some areas was hard to even walk through to get to the next gate. The signs for the gates are confusing in themselves and with no staff around to ask advice I had to ask shop keepers. All LATAM staff were swamped by hoards of angry people, some raising their voices. When it seemed like it couldn't get worse, more planes of people arrived. Staff in the airport were generally unfriendly but if you pushed them hard enough they might give basic info then turn away. The food was awful, all the tables were full of trash and all the garbage bins overflowing. Most gates had standing room only. I eventually found a gate where I could find a relatively uncrowded spot to sit on the floor while bored and frustrated people stared at me.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"solid facilities and short queues for the most part"

Verified Review | As major international airports go, Santiago is fairly small, with both international and domestic departures under the same roof. There's no international - domestic or domestic - international transfer, for these you have to leave airside on the bottom floor, and then go back up to the top floor to go through security again (international and domestic are at opposite ends). While a perfectly functional airport with solid facilities and short queues for the most part, there's one major exception: immigration for international arrivals. Arrive at the wrong time (when, say, the three overnight flights from Madrid are coming in), and this can be chaotic, confusing, and present very long queues for foreigners. I was at the back of the queue, and only just made my connection to a domestic flight thanks to the desks for local nationals clearing and being made available to foreigners, which was lucky for me, but someone stuck in the middle of the foreigners queue might not have been so happy to see so many people get through immigration faster then they did.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"scene at arrival very confusing"

(Bermuda)

Arrived in Santiago after a very nice and relaxed Latam flight from Sao Paulo. Long walk to immigration and quite a wait for luggage and then customs clearance, which was not so bad. The problem was outside after customs with the throngs of people waiting for passengers to come out of the building as well as taxi drivers and others trying to get people to use their services into the city. I was there to take a cruise and had difficulty finding the rep to show me to the bus, however once I found him it was fine. I found this scene at arrival very confusing and not very secure or safe.
Date VisitNovember 2015

Santiago De Chile Airport customer review

Arrived early Sunday morning at 02.00 and faced a queue at Customs where passengers had to lift their own luggage onto an X-ray machine for inspection. This has now become common practice in a lot of airports. My departure on a Sunday morning was a breeze. The LAN Chile staff directed me to the priority check in area on the first floor and there my bags were checked in promptly by staff who were courteous and friendly. From the check in area passengers can access passport control and security check via an elevator. A hassle free experience.
Date VisitAugust 2015

Santiago De Chile Airport customer review

This is easily the worst airport I have ever been to. I had a long stop in Aug 2015 after an accident and was in a wheelchair. Airport staff weren't just unhelpful and inconsiderate — they were insulting and dangerous. One worker, convinced I was rolling myself in the wrong direction, jumped behind my wheelchair, as I protested, and violently shoved me in the direction opposite to where I needed to go. My foot bore the brunt of the impact. I will go out of my way to avoid this airport in future.
Date VisitAugust 2015

(Brazil)

The airport is great. The only problem is that there is no proper WiFi only that at shops and bars. There is a great variety of stores.

Santiago De Chile Airport customer review

For ground transportation on arrival as you leaver the customs area you see booths for ground transport but they are not the ones for the airport buses to the city centre. The airport buses wait outside in road but there was no signage to say so. I found a double-deck Tur bus waiting outside. Service was both cheap and comfortable. You pay the driver. LAN business class lounge at SCL was fine. Had to wait 30 mins for a shower but it was very good when I got to use it.
Queuing Times N/A
Airport Shopping N/A

Santiago De Chile Airport customer review

Beware leaving the airport there are people in uniform who approach you and try to "help" you onto your connecting flight usually with the line "Are you on the connecting flight to Concepcion?" to which you panic and think there is some problem with your flight. Almost fell for it when he asked for my boarding card and helped me with my bags. They basically want to take you to the third floor (departures) and show you where to go for money. Don't fall for it - just walk out confidently veer left towards the silver lifts and go on up to the third floor. Don't be fooled by a uniform and friendly manner. Unless of course you don't mind tipping them and want the help.