Oslo Airport

Oslo Airport customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Oslo Gardemoen Airport has to be the top candidate for the worst airport in Europe. Transit of baggage with Norwegian seems to be a new thing here and isn't efficient. The airport is far too small for the number of passengers passing through and with few seats to sit on in both the terminal public areas and the limited choice of bars and cafes. The few cafes in the terminal are poorly staffed and inefficient. We watched a wok chef preparing multiple dishes with his bare hands, wiping them on his apron every few minutes. Gloves, soap and water didn't seem to be available. We waited in queue of people for 25 minutes for him to prepare 2 burgers - the price, around €14 each. All the staff in the airport look miserable. We were pleased to take off and won't be heading back any time soon.

Review by (Norway)

Easy to get to, plenty of ok parking, busses, trains and taxis. Airport is under construction, hardly any seating before security, after security, hardly any there either unless sitting at a over priced restaurants. Airport staff are hardly happy/helpful. Small airport, gates are easy to find and there not really any long distances.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (Saudi Arabia)

The security man said "random check". I said OK. But he conducted the body check in a humiliating manner as if we looking for a needle. I'm not against security check if it's done in a fair and professional manner. I'm 62 years old and traveling with my family. It's unfortunate to finish my first visit to Norway with that experience!
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (Norway)

This airport stands out as the worst I know of worldwide when it comes to making a transit from International to Domestic (ie. to another city in Norway). One should really work hard with travel planning to avoid going through Oslo airport - Gardermoen. Right now, my wife and I are stuck here for most of a Saturday after a 20 hour flawless travel from Indonesia. The trouble is largely related to very slow baggage handling, the fact that you must clear customs here despite going elsewhere and that there is NO service for a rapid re-check of the baggage after customs. (Like in the USA). I know how this works, but I am certain that many tourists are very confused. You should haul your luggage upstairs and essentially go through the same procedure as if your travel originated in Oslo. You have to suffer through a completely new security check etc. Everyone knows that this is a bad system, the airport officials have traveled the world "to see how it can be done", but nothing ever happens. This airport is a big shame for Norway and a really unplesant way to welcome our visitors from abroad.

Review by (Switzerland)

What should I say about a small and chaotic airport where gates change without proper announcements? You have to constantly make sure you are still waiting at the right place. The pizza hut express is terrible. Staff are inefficient, unfriendly, everything is mostly and only written in Norwegian. Tables are dirty and scarce. Avoid this airport if you can.
Date VisitJuly 2015

Review by (Sweden)

Terrible service at the security queue and very unpleasant manner of airport workers. Have been flying several times from this airport for business trips and all the times there was no quality of service whatsoever.

Review by (Netherlands)

My usual hub for travelling business or private. I like the departure hall it is spacious and the swing of the Airport has become very crowded during peak season resulting in lack of seats insufficient amount of restrooms and long queues everywhere. It is also very likely to get in serious trouble when you have a transfer from an incoming international to a domestic flight. Travelers are subject to redundant procedures like collecting your luggage from the carousel then going through customs and go through the check in procedure again in the departure hall in a long queue together with new and other transit passengers while you already have your boarding pass and your luggage is correctly labelled. Finally you have to go through security again. Like authorities usually act many years too late it seems there is now a decision to abandon these crazy procedures in 2015. In my case last year I had to wait a long time for my luggage then had to run to the departure hall and look for an understanding staff member to assist in bypassing the queue for check in. That way I was just in time to catch my connecting flight. This year I was not so lucky when the luggage handling system was down due to a thunderstorm for the rest of the day. I finally arrived in the departure hall with my luggage where thousands of people were waiting not knowing what to do. The announcements by the pubic address system were only an apology for the inconvenience which was of no use at all instead of giving a clear explanation about the workaround implemented. To give instructions for dropping the luggage for your departing flight the staff member who could yell most loudly was selected. Of course these messages were missed by many people. Finally I ended up for hours in a queue of hundreds of people in front of the service desk to get my missed flight rescheduled and was lucky to reach my destination the same day and got possession of my luggage 4 days later. Definitely an airport to avoid during peak season when you have a connection to make. Hopefully things get better in 2015.

Review by (Norway)

My usual hub for travelling business or private. I like the departure hall it is spacious and the swing of the big wooden beams is nice I think. Connection to city is one of the best and fastest I know (express train regular train several buses taxis). On arrival I usually get my luggage within 10-15 minutes which is extremely good even if I don't have priority tags. Facilities aren't really special but enough for me. Due to missing custom clearance on many small Norwegian airports people with connecting domestic flights have to check in their luggage again here. This is ineffective of course but has to be solved by the other airports/the custom authority. Or tickets shouldn't be sold without enough transit time.

Review by (Netherlands)

Oslo Gardamoen has ongoing construction works. On arrival there was a very long wait (1 hr) for our luggage. Many flights had the luggage arriving on the same carousel. Passengers appeared to be visiting the liquor store before picking up their suitcases etc. It seems one can buy tax-free before passing through customs in Norway. This caused a blockage of suitcases and the carousel stopped frequently. Very irritating for passengers with connections to make. Hopefully when the construction works are finished there will be more carousels.
Terminal Cleanliness N/A

Oslo Airport customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

We flew on the same airline from Kirkenes to London via Oslo. Strangely we were not able to book our bags through from Kirkenes to London but had to retrieve them in Oslo and book them in again. That could be a problem with the airline but actually managing the bags at Oslo was hard. Having got our bags and already in possession of our boarding passes we were shunted away from bag drop off to the main (long) queue where in effect we had to check in again. After security we entered a lounge area absolutely packed with people were we had a 4 hour wait for our next flight. It was hot and noisy and it took my wife and I almost an hour to get 2 seats together. There were very long queues at all the shops and cafes. There were far too many people for this terminal. Finally at boarding the agent held my wife up as she is not a British national. Even though my wife doesn't actually need a visa to visit the UK and even though she does have one the agent insisted on checking by phone thereby holding up the queue of people trying to get on the plane. It was resolved after about 5 minutes but over the years and in many different countries we have never experienced a similar problem. I know security is tight at the moment but surely this should have been sorted out at either of our check ins at Kirkenes or Oslo. The most chaotic and uncomfortable airport I have been in for many years. Avoid if possible.