Top 100 Airlines

Oslo Airport

"absolutely chaotic airport"

Absolutely chaotic airport. I have 45 years of airport experience as a traveller. After landing the SAS plane was directed to a gate that was not vacated. Had to turn around, taxi around the international section to another gate. According to internet info a new customs and security system for transit to domestic flights was supposed to be in force, but it was not. You have to completely leave customs area with your baggage and find the domestic departure hall to drop your baggage at a bag drop counter, and then go (naturally) through security again. The baggage claim area was way too small for the volume of traffic. While waiting at our assigned carousel the assigment of our flight was changed to another one, and the whole bunch of passengers had to go to the other end of the hall. About four flights full of baggage was being delivered at this new carousel, ours being the last one in a row. The red-tagged priority baggage did not arrive first. The waiting time was ca. 45 minutes. No staff to help people who were losing their domestic connection. Luckily we travelled SAS plus, so we had a fast lane for the new security check. The domestic business lounge was tiny with mostly barstool-type seating and not much for food. Departure international: A much better lounge there, but the gate area is designed for only half of the passenger volume it handles. We were called way too early, only to find out that the late-arrived plane had not been cleaned yet. The staff did not make any announcement about the coming late departure or the reason. Many people had to sit on the floor. When the gate was opened we discovered that we could only walk down the gangway half-way, and then had to stand for a long time to wait for the cleaning crew to vacate the plane. Then they let us wait in the second half of the gangway because the plane was not ready. No coordination between the handling agent and the flight crew. Boarding took a full 25 minutes and extended our delay. Advice: Plan three or more hours to change to a domestic flight, and do not fly economy.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"unbelievable long lines and chaos"

Verified Review | Unbelievable long lines and chaos at Passport Control when leaving Oslo for LAX. Security line was a breeze, and I thought I was done. But wanted to make sure I could find my F-gate because signs only showed E's. I asked and someone told me to go through all the E's, and eventually I did come to the entry point for the F gates. That's where the huge lines were. There were 3 or 4 lines-never clear because people kept shifting every time they saw an opportunity for a shorter line. Eventually it became clear that airport staff were calling out large groups of people at once (probably because their flights were closing, it wasn't enough that they were just boarding), which caused an occasional line to move really fast while the others stood almost still. Everyone was confused-not at all clear what was happening. When I finally got to Passport Control after waiting 35 minutes in a line which luckily for me turned out to move relatively fast, I asked the lady manning the booth why it took so long to exit the country, she told me because I was leaving the EU and said without a trace of a smile that I shouldn't ask that kind of question. Never mind that I've left EU countries at least twice in the last two years and don't remember even being stopped before leaving. To top it off, we had to stand and wait outside the entrance to our gate (F18) for another 20 minutes before the gate was opened. There were no places to buy food once into the F area. I'm only giving this airport a "1" rating because there was a decent place to get coffee and pastry with the friend who drove me there in plenty of time for the flight. Otherwise, it would be a 0.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"it is downright impossible to pass by"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | I will for sure stay clear of Oslo Airport in future. When departing to another country you first enter a far too long and far too smelly duty free. When you finally emerge from there without being attacked by one of the sales people you come into a very long and not that wide hallway where all the gates are placed. The gate areas themselves are just too small so people fill up into the hallway so it is downright impossible to pass by. Seating is also something that has not been invented in Gardermoen so the only place you can sit down if you are going to have something to eat or drink. If you would like something to eat and drink then beware. You need to stand in queue for what is close to 1 hour before you even get to a place where you can order your food. And then there is the price level. 111 NOK for a beer. It is expensive. So my recommendations are either to try and spend as little in this airport as possible or arrive up to 5 hours before your flight to be able to get something to eat and drink and a place to sit down. The staff also at security are not at all polite. You address them in English and they answer back in Norwegian.

"lines were insane"

Verified Review | Where do I begin. From deplane to take off of connecting flight Oslo airport is terrible and I was only there an hour. Norwegian from Dublin to Oslo and on to Orlando. Stairs to deplane, bus to terminal, stairs and broken escalator to carry luggage up 2 floors. Passport Control not friendly, security re-screen for connecting flight, then Immigration again to get on the second flight. The lines were insane, employees not helpful or friendly and flight 30 minutes late boarding and departing due to slow immigration queues. Don't understand why someone has to be reprocessed for a connecting flight. Then, upon landing in Orlando the ground crew at Oslo failed to load the Dublin transfer luggage to the final flight. Just terrible all the way around. Tampa International is my home airport and should be the standard for all.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"badly signposted and organised"

The worst airport I have ever been to. I will echo what many before me have said. It is too small, unorganised, full of unhelpful, unfriendly and uncommunicative staff. The departure gates are too small which results in overcrowding of the areas and throughout the airport there are not nearly enough seats to accomodate all passengers. The airport is badly signposted and organised. There are 'helpers' around the airport dressed in purple with the 'i' symbol on their uniform but all the ones I saw were very unhelpful. Particularly in Gate F the international gates where I ended up in the queue for the wrong passport lane due to the uninterested helper simply pointing when asked where I should go. Another helper who was in the queues for All passport/EU passports was even on his phone at one point, totally ignoring everyone. Passport control itself is far too slow with the queue I was in taking on average five minutes for every one person which meant if you queued up an hour before your flight thinking you would have enough time, you may actually miss it. This was due to the overzealous officer on the window in my lane, who started an arguement with a passenger. Once finally through passport control, I made my way down to the gate for my flight. I am sat there for about 10 minutes when I look up and see the screen now reads a completely different destination, and not the one I am headed for. Panicking, I check the board to see that they have moved the gate. Didn't bother to announce it though. After getting lost looking for the gates on the bottom floor (again due to terrible signposting) I finally found it and stood for 35 minutes until my flight boarded. About 10 minutes after I arrived, a group of passengers rushed downstairs; they also must have just realised that their gate was changed with no announcement. There must have been nearly 100 people maybe more in the gate for this flight and about 20 seats to sit on. Another gate right next to mine was also full which resulted in a tight packed swarm of people in a small space with no room to move about. Eventually, I boarded the plane and left, landing at the far superior Heathrow. I feel sorry for all the people who have to use Oslo Airport regularly, luckily for me it was only a few times. 0/10. Avoid this airport.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"boarding is chaotic, staff unfriendly"

The design of Oslo airport is terrible. Boarding queues cross the main walkway causing difficulty for both people in the queue and people walking to their gates. The entrance to the departure lounge goes straight through the shop, causing chaos for shoppers and people in a hurry to catch their flight. Boarding is chaotic at best and staff is unfriendly.

"always overcrowded"

(Norway)

Not what you would expect of a country like Norway. Very few toilets which are cramped and dirty. Always overcrowded for any cafe/restaurant. Due to its shape people crowd in the narrow lane of the terminal when boarding. I try to fly via AMS.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"communication and overcrowding are a nightmare"

Oslo airport's system of communication and overcrowding are a nightmare. Nobody could advise me whether I needed to re-check in for a domestic flight to Kirkenes having booked the total package, at an amazing bargain price from Dublin. There was yet more confusion which made a very stressful day for me. The correct fact turned out that my luggage was booked straight through from Dublin, but a couple if airport officials sent me in a wild goose chase looking for my luggage on arrivals in Oslo. This meant a lost opportunity for me to buy food in airport as I was hungry but had no time to eat in my quest for accurate and non existent info.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"toilets are cramped and dirty"

(Norway)

Shameful at Oslo airport. Toilets are cramped and dirty. Transfer from international to domestic flights means you have to claim and recheck your baggage. Usually overcrowded. It is far from Oslo city centre meaning an expensive train journey. Hard to believe this is a relatively new airport in a wealthy country.
Date VisitMay 2016

"airport is a crowded mess"

(Sweden)

Transiting intl to domestic at Oslo Apt on Friday afternoon. They have tried to make the transit easier with a new concept "Connecting Norway". It worked fine for the first months but now they have added a security-check which causes a long wait if a couple of other flights arrive at the same time. I believe it would be faster to pass through the Arrivals like in old days. The airport is a crowded mess right now, not enough restrooms, seats and restaurants. Prices are ridiculous.
Date VisitApril 2016