Nadi Airport

"it leaves a bad taste in your mouth"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | The fact they charge you and make every person have a clear ziplock bag is a joke. They should stop doing this as they are the only airport in the world doing this. The security before you even enter the departure customs area does not let you go through unless you go to the store to purchase a ziplock bag. When I reached the X-ray screening they were even sending passengers back to the store to buy a ziplock bag! The few liquids I had were less than 100mls and in a small toiletry bag which I just put the entire toiletry bag in the ziplock bag to see what customs would say. They stopped my carry on bag through the X-ray screening and when they saw the ziplock bag they did not even bother to check the contents of my toiletry bag. It seems to me they just want people to buy the ziplock bag from their store (nowhere else in the world does this). If I forget to use a clear toiletry bag in my carry on which I have many times, quite often my bag will not be stopped at the X-ray and if it is customs will just check the contents and that’s it. They will not say I must make sure I have to use a clear ziplock bag and this is in Europe and USA. Fiji airport you need to change this as it leaves a bad taste in your mouth after a pleasant holiday there. I have seen other complaints of the same nature!
Date VisitMarch 2018

"I will not be returning to Fiji"

Trip Verified | Fiji customs security seriously needs to review their ridiculous rules when it comes to hand luggage. I was travelling back home to Australia on Saturday Afternoon (10/03/2018) I was asked at check in if I had over 100 mls of liquid in my bag. I did not - I know the rules of air travel. I get to customs bag check/scan and they take my hand bag aside - they confiscate 4 lipsticks and two lip balms because they are considered gel based liquids and need to be put in clear zip lock bags. They confiscated a small spray bottle with 10mls of water in it and a small tube of sunscreen. This stupid rule/scam is the reason I will not be returning to Fiji. They appeared to enjoy confiscating people's items. It was the most bizarre experience I have ever had at an airport. If the ridiculous rule is to be enforced at this airport (That basically, women can't carry make up without a clear ziplock bag), they should have signs and warnings around the airport advising this! I wont be back.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"One bad apple ruins the whole trip"

Not Verified | Vast improvement of Nadi Airport in the last couple years. I have visited Fiji over 30 times in last 33 years and apart from airport improvements I have seen other improvements like: Policing, Road Maintenance and in general a safer feeling to move around. With all the good things at Nadi Airport the food court pricing should be looked at as a bottle of water or a can of beer cost three times more than local market places and even it cost more than other major airports like Vancouver. One bad apple ruins the whole trip, a couple of security officers on 1st March between 5.30pm and 6pm were very rude/ignorant, they asked for my itinerary which I did not had with me but gave them my passport which is what is needed for security at any airport. I questioned them the reason for the itinerary as it is not a legal document. Even after getting the itinerary they pussed me aside and took the longest time to let me go. Other security officers at main entry and even at high level security screening were very nice and answered any questions I had. I suggest the officers at the front should be replaced by people who knows how to deal with public. Just by wearing a uniform doesn't give one the right to be rude/ignorant.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Impressive new look for Nadi Airport"

(Fiji)

Trip Verified | Impressive new look for Nadi Airport! Departure was a smooth flow from self check in kiosk, bag drop, security, shopping, eatery to boarding. Easy to find our way around, clean and modern look. Service provided throughout came with genuine warm smile, which goes a very long way. Thank you.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"an achievement for Fiji"

(Fiji)

Generally, Nadi airport is an achievement for Fiji and the region. I must first mention, I love those huge sofa which can sleep up to 2 people, for an airport that acts like a hub between Asia, America, Australia and Pacific countries, that is a huge win. I wish airports like LA had something like that. The queuing time can be tedious, the immigration in the arrivals need a lot of work, and the airport's baggage delivery is pathetically slow for a small airport. It always amazes me how I am able to complete Passport Control and baggage collection in just 15 minutes at LAX, but it takes more than 1 hour at Nadi. Free wifi would be nice, and a bit more variety in the food court, some of us don't like Burger King and Gloria Jeans
Date VisitMarch 2017

"rebuilding going to be worth the wait"

Verified Review | New departure terminal, work in progress. Finally they have gotten around to rebuilding this airport and from behind the tarpaulin it looks like it is going to be worth the wait. It is still work in progress but Bula it should be up and running by mid 2017. The current departure area is fully functional but a bit drab and the business class lounges are also a tad medieval but all of this worth the wait. I will be back shortly to check out the new grouting.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"true Pacific charm"

Despite the renovations at Nadi airport and my first time being in Fiji, I found Nadi airport lovely. I have been through Raratonga airport in the past and was expecting something similar and found to my relief it wasn't. The queues seem to stretch on for a while snaking around corners but the staff are courteous and efficient and we were processed fairly quickly. Upon departure, the check in agent asked me is it was my first time in Fiji and when I told him it was, I was sorry to be leaving and what a beautiful place Fiji is - a broad smile plastered his face and all he wanted to do was have a chat. I loved it. Great little airport with a true Pacific charm, can't wait to see how the renovations turn out.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"transit area itself wasn't too bad"

(New Zealand)

Spent 6 hours in transit at Nadi airport from Auckland to LA. The airport is still being renovated so some parts looked shabby, but the transit area itself wasn't too bad. There were a couple of food places (burger king and a sandwich/pizza place) and a few shops to look at. The majority of the staff were polite (the ones in the normal stores - book store and clothes stores) but the staff in the duty free stores were a bit rude and constantly followed us to see what we were doing. By follow I mean they literally a couple metres away from us from one store to the other. The staff there didn't know what personal space was. Overall it wasn't too bad of an experience, and I'm looking forward to my return tomorrow when I arrive back in transit from LAX.
Date VisitJune 2016

"airport is easy to navigate and is manageable"

(Slovenia)

Nadi Airport is small and manageable. The departure hall has many shops, so you can buy some last presents before you fly to your destination. The arrival hall has many travel agencies, so if you do not have accommodation when you arrive, they can help you. Fijian airport staff is very helpful. They also give you a welcome song in the arrival hall, which is very cute. The only thing which was new to us was the disinfection of passengers within the airplane when we landed. They sprayed us, before they let us out of the plane. Otherwise the airport is easy to navigate and is manageable.
Date VisitFebruary 2015

Nadi Airport customer review

Awful and painful experience. We got a 300€ fine for forgetting an apple in the bottom of a bag and got forced to sign that we had "willingly" taken the fruit to Fiji. Custom officer didn't speak and was basically rude. Shopping is uninteresting. The worst is really the contrast between the fake welcoming atmosphere and the overall rudeness of staff.
Date VisitJuly 2015