Airline of the Year

Montréal Airport

"40 minutes to get through passport check"

Verified Review | Arrived into Montréal Airport at 15h from Barcelona and was in a long line of over 1000 people waiting 40 minutes to get through passport check by 5 agents. Arrived at the baggage carousel and it took 70 minutes from the plane's arrival to receive my bag. Why? The carousel was full, very few people were picking up their bags from the carousel from the 4 flights listed, and the system was only letting new bags trickle on, as people picked up their bags to create clear space. Nobody from the airport to fix the situation. Some passengers took matters into their own hands and started to arrange bags on the carrousel to make more room for new bags. It's embarrassing being a Montreal resident with a welcome to visitors like this! I'd like to understand why this is allowed to happen and what is being done to improve things?
Date VisitApril 2017

"had to wait for well over 2 hours for the luggage"

Arrived on schedule on BA 95 from London. It is a longish walk from the gate to the immigration and cleared the immigration using the NEXUS machines, all fine to this point. But then we all had to wait for well over 2 hours for the luggage to arrive. Several announcements were made for the bags to arrive in the next 15-20 minutes, did not happen. This is not the first time the bag handling has gone so wrong. This is my home airport and I travel quite a bit - very disappointed.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"tedious and very slow"

Verified Review | I passed through this Airport (Dorval) 12 times in 2016, 8 times in 2015 and 10 times in 2014. 50% of the time I missed my connections as the stupid layout of this airport forces you to go through security again after arrival from an international flight. The security personnel from CATSA in Montreal is tedious and very slow and must be trained to be extra unfriendly. I never experienced such incompetence and unfriendliness and I travel a lot.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"2.5 hours getting through Immigration"

Verified Review | London to Montreal with Air Canada. The flight was great, staff helpful, everything on time. However my nightmare started when I arrived at Montreal airport. Hundreds, possibly over a thousand, travellers were disgorged from planes from everywhere, arriving at the same time. We were in a kind of holding pen at the top of the steps, before being directed down the steps to form the endless cattle queue for immigration. There were pregnant women, families with small children, yet there was no order to allow these more vulnerable people to go to the front of the queue. I waited for 2.5 hours before getting through Immigration, and by that time the luggage carousel had stopped and luggage was strewn all over the floor. So on top of the insult of waiting a ridiculous amount of time, I then had to hunt down my luggage. By the time I got outsided I was furious, exhausted, and appalled to put it mildly. My holiday at my daughter's place did not start well. I did try and voice my complaints when I found the almost hidden complaints desk, and was told by the weary officer that this was "due to lack of resources", and that they can't find the staff to train to operate as Immigration officers. Out of the 10 plus booths, only 4-5 were occupied at any given time. I am sure the Government can – and indeed should - find the resources to ensure that at least during busy periods the immigration desks are fully staffed. I travel to Heathrow often - one of the busiest airports in the world - and yet have never ever experienced this kind of debacle. Whilst queues there are long they move quickly as the immigration stations are always fully staffed. I spoke to several people during those long 2 plus hours in the interminable queue, many who were in Montreal for the first time. Some vowed to never ever go come to Montreal again; in other Canadian airports the story had been much more positive. If Montreal is trying to entice more tourists, then this is definitely not a good look at first base, and leaves a very bad taste in the mouth. In December I will be again traveling to Montreal to visit my daughter and family, but am absolutely dreading having to go through the hell of customs/immigration at the airport. The powers that be need to urgently lift their collective game and make my and others experience at Montreal airport a pleasant and memorable one, not the nightmare that hundreds experience I am sure on a regular basis. I noted that there was an item about this in the Montreal Gazette a few days after my arrival, so my experience was not an exception. The excuse that it was a busy weekend, end of school holidays etc, just doesn't cut it. Airports the world over experience end of school crowds yet manage to keep things flowing. Wifi was a complete joke too.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"it was very inconvenient"

Verified Review | As airport machine check-in didn't work for my new British passport (very inconvenient), I needed manual check-in. I asked one of airport staff for assistance. Despite having a Silver Star Alliance member card, I was refused business class check-in (priority check-in) and was sent to economy class check-in, where there was the longest queue and I spent 50 minutes. It was very inconvenient. Lufthansa says that their Silver Star Alliance card does give privileges for priority check-in. However they do not recognize Silver Star Alliance member card at Montreal airport. Traveled on 2 Oct flight AC 864.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"confusing and time consuming"

Verified Review | This airport is always mobbed and construction and traffic make getting into and out of the airport confusing and time consuming. Regular travelers are all funneled through a crazy-long line before they reach security inspiring a sense of helplessness and panic as you start to fear you will not make your flight. The two bathrooms that I visited had lines with a wait time of 5 minutes or more. None of the faucets seemed to be working properly - they only emitted a trickle of water if you were lucky. Neither one of the blow driers were working properly either. A sad sight to see people waiting hopefully with their hands under the dryer then finally shaking the water off on the floor which was dangerously wet. Terrible, non working WiFi - a real problem when you have to search for your confirmation email.

"signs would be nice"

After reading the reviews on this page for the last 3 months, I have been terrified to have my layover at YUL. I was coming from Halifax, to Houston with a layover here. I had to go through US customs here. Other than the incredibly long walking distance from my gate to customs and back to my other gate it wasn't so bad. I do wish there were more options for food or moving sidewalks around as this airport is huge. If I wanted something nourishing to eat, a walk from the gate I'm at would be a 10-15 minute walk, so I settled for chips and a drink. Customs was a quick easy process. One of the machines didn't work for me so I went to a newer looking machine and it worked fine. Other than the walking distance, and lack of options for food etc spread out, it's not a bad airport. I did have a hard time finding the way to go, but I asked someone and they directed me. Signs would be nice up the far end of the gates so you can find customs. Don't reccomend for elderly or families with children (due to all the walking) but otherwise I would reccomend.

"avoid this airport"

Verified Review | Third rate airport After our arrival, we were informed through a loudspeaker that announced we might have to wait "longer than usual" at the immigration because the number of arriving passengers was larger than usual. Still at the second level with the immigration officer's boxes out of view, we landed in a long queue of people. After about half an hour we could see the overcrowded immigration hall on the first level. The real waiting began when we had arrived at that level. It took us five or so minutes less than three hours to get through the immigration. Old people and small children alike had to stay in the queue. When we were close enough to the immigration we saw they worked at half capacity: one out of two exits was not operated. It was by far the worst I have experienced on any airport. When we eventually arrived in the luggage hall, nobody of the staff seemed to be able (or interested) to tell us where our belt had been, so we had to move around searching for our bags. We eventually found them after we met someone else from our plane who could tell us where the bags had been put. This search took another half hour. Conclusion: avoid this airport whenever you can.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"a total mess"

The design and process of the Customs and Immigration at YUL are the worst I have experienced anywhere in the world. Having been to probably 75 or more airports on almost every continent, it is difficult to understand how in such a developed country can there be such a Mickey Mouse operation. The design of the arrivals and customs is like a funnel with all international arriving passengers coming into the same area. Segregation between arriving and connecting passengers is a total mess. Good luck if you have a connection in YUL. The three times I've been there over the last two months was the same experience. Line up all the way up to the second level long before even seeing the customs hall. Well over an hour to clear. Then you're expected to process your customs declaration through an automated terminal, which of course rejects it if you are a Canadian citizen but not a resident. Then the ever cooperative and welcoming customs agents send you back into another line...again. Once outside you can witness the architectural marvel of the bridge to nowhere which has been there for over 10 years and still yet to be completed. If you're connecting in Canada, go through Toronto or Vancouver. If your destination is Montreal, it's almost more efficient to connect through Toronto and clear customs there which allows you to arrive as a domestic arrival in Montreal thus avoiding the circus. Probably works out to the same amount of time, but a lot less frustrating.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"beware if you are making a connection"

Verified Review | Beware if you are making a connection at Montréal Airport and have to clear customs. The immigration hall was overflowing. There were long lines to get into the hall stretching back to the arrival gates. By showing a connecting boarding pass we bypassed part of the line. Little information, few airline staff, not enough immigration staff. Result-chaos. We especially felt for those with small children. Then there is confusion as to where to drop your bags and then a further 30 minute line for security. The whole process was 2 hours. No time between flights for a bite to eat. Avoid customs and immigration at Montreal Trudeau if you can. It's a disgrace
Date VisitAugust 2016