Milan Malpensa Airport

Review by (Italy)

Malpensa is for sure my second-favorite Italian airport (the first is Linate). The directions are quite simple and clear, even for first-timers. The security check area at Terminal 1 has recently been renewed making the check of the boarding passes quicker. The greatest con: it is not so close to Milan and the easiest way to get there is by train (about every 30 min), the trip to and from Milan takes around 45 min.
Date VisitAugust 2015

Review by (Canada)

We were pleasantly surprised by our MXP experiences, both on arrival and departure. I arrived with my two kids on a Friday afternoon into T1 during peak season and had no issues through baggage and customs. We would have been out of there within 30 mins if it weren't for the debacle at Budget Car Rental (every other counter had no queue). Our departure was smooth a couple of weeks later as well. Security staff made it less painful to get our family through security and there was plenty of seating at our gate and lots of food & shopping options. The duty free prices are way too high, so beware. The booze prices in Italian supermarkets are much lower. I didn't have a problem filling up the rental car close to the airport or returning it in the terminal. We will aim to use this as our Italian entry point from now on, especially after all the horror stories we hear about FCO.
Date VisitAugust 2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Milan Malpensa Airport customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Arrived at Malpensa from Glasgow on an Easyjet flight in May 2015. To pick up our hire car we had to change terminals. Buses are fairly frequent and the transfer takes about 10 minutes. The airport is currently being extended and the signage is very poor. It is very easy to get lost in the main terminal. We had booked a hire car from Hertz but still had to wait in a queue for over an hour before being attended to. On the return journey we had to return the car with a full tank or pay for a full tank, not just the amount needed to top it up. You need to be aware that there are no fuel stations near the airport on the main route from Milan so you are likely to incur a charge for a full tank - a bit of a rip off by Hertz. Prices at the 'duty free' shop are extortionate. They demand to see boarding cards even though prices are excessive . The service I experienced at the shop was also extremely rude and unpleasant. It was clear the lady who served me did not like working there.
Date VisitMay 2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (Italy)

I flew to Dubai from Malpensa in April, the queue at the security check was quite fast. The duty free shops are big enough with a good variety of things to buy. I arrived at the airport a few weeks later in May, where the border control had a big queue where I had to wait for 30 minutes to clear my way to the baggage claim. The worst part was a flight which landed a few minutes after my flight started it's baggage belt 30-45 minutes before mine which was very tiring. The airport shuttle was okay and was on time.
Date VisitApril 2015

Review by (Italy)

The main terminal (T1) has been renovated and it's quite nice and convenient. New security check is efficient, good spaces both at check in, security check and boarding gates. The number of shops has been increased., and the Airport Train station provides smooth access to the city of Milan with trains going to different stations (though frequency might be increased).
Date VisitMay 2015

Review by (Italy)

Malpensa is a very beautiful airport! For Expo it was completely renovated: new check-in, new air bridge and new lounge. There is a very beautiful shopping area called "square of luxury" where you can find the best international brands. Simply is very modern!
Date VisitJune 2015

Review by (Netherlands)

Flew to and from MXP T2 (Easyjet) in May. We arrived close to the entry point of the terminal but were taken by bus (1 min ride) to be offloaded in a complete chaos in between the suitcases that were loaded onto the luggage belts. The terminal building is very old and low ceilings. Only good thing was the proximity of the buses to Milan Centre right outside the Arrivals. Departure was even worse. We were 2.5 hours before departure of our flight. Again the building is old very low poor maintained and does not seems to have air-conditioning (it was 28 degrees outside). Queues for luggage drop were huge. Luckily (as a result?) the queue for security was short. Funny thing is the maze you need to go through to reach security - they do not allow shortcuts even when there is no queue. The departure lounge is just terrible. Downstairs you feel like sitting in a basement upstairs is slightly better. There is a huge shortage of seating there are plenty of shops but only limited catering. Gate areas are terrible we were called to the gate an hour in advance and had a long wait in again a very chaotic area. All together I would avoid flying on Terminal 2 especially at peak times.

Review by (Singapore)

Arrival on an early morning flight to a queue of a mass of people who are trying to clear immigration. Two queues join into one creates a bottleneck which renders both lines to a stand still. While the other two queues were normal. Immigration officers who had just opened 4 counters couldn't be bothered. Then when the immigration officer closed the EU passport control which unfortunately had only 1 counter open they merge into the line sometimes even had the audacity to cut in front people who had queued right in front of the immigration officer. The officer did in fact asked them to queue up but words fell on deaf ears. Limited trolleys to use and a dreadful looking arrival hall with poor signage and directions. To sum it up a messy and certainly avoidable airport. Shame!

Milan Malpensa Airport customer review

Review by (United States)

I have recently flown to and from Milan Malpensa airport from and to Asia. One of the worst airports I have been to. Signs are confusing. Arrivals: On arrival at the brand new terminal area the immigration queue is long. There are no signs where to line up for the immigration and the queue disorderly takes up all the space. Once I have cleared the immigration I got to the baggage claim and I got another surprise: no trolley for the luggage. Actually they had some but clearly not enough for even 2 planes arriving at the same time. After asking the information counter and walking for kilometres in this baggage claim area they say to wait 15-20mins that the trolleys would arrive. Departures: If you ever are able to find a toilet which is not 'closed for cleaning' you will find lots of things out of order with a big sign. The customs inspection office for tax free was closed and there was a sign saying that another office is temporary open for tax free with confusing indications of how to get there. Once I got there those offices have big signs saying "no tax free" but one of those actually did the tax free since it was the only one open. My flight out was from the brand new terminal area which forces you to walk for kilometres to reach the gate. Finally all the prices at the airport are far more expensive than the average. Never again!

Milan Malpensa Airport customer review

Review by (United States)

I flew to and from here in May 2014 and thought it was dreadful. Firstly it's a very busy airport so you expect clear signage to guide you to where to go - this is not the case. It's hugely confusing. Secondly I admittedly forgot I had a 3/4 full bottle of water in my carry on bag which was around 500ml. My bag went through the scanner and picked up nothing at all. I was shocked that it was completely missed. Thirdly just prior to boarding our flight two of the passengers in our party were assigned new seats away from the rest of us which is fair enough but were given new boarding passes in the names of other members of our party. We then boarded the flight and our passports and boarding cards were checked and this mistake was not picked up. We had to flag this issue ourselves.