Milan Malpensa Airport

"Excellent experience"

Trip Verified | First time using Malpensa. Excellent experience. Immigration check when entering Italy was smooth - presentation of the passport and a stamp without questions or long waits. Stepping out I found a huge well lit hall with luggage retrieval carousels and then exited out. I was taking a bus to Lugano, Switzerland and there were signs in the terminal in English pointing to where bus stations and taxi stands were. It was a longish walk but found the place and the bus pulled up. I had the option to pay in Euros or Swiss Francs. I paid the driver in cash and received a receipt. I did not feel stressed at all being in a foreign country and having no competency in the language. The bus driver spoke English. On the return I took the express train from Milan Central station to Malpensa. The train leaves twice every hour. A 50 minute ride in a very comfortable train with ample space for luggage. My departure was from Terminal 2. The train station is connected to the terminal. The terminal is a veritable shopping emporium with all the famous brand name shops there, as befitting the fashion capital that Milan is. You are spoiled for choices, from food and wine to clothing to cosmetics. Credit cards accept payments in dollars. I needed a boarding pass and for that had to go to the airline counter. My carry on bag was supposedly overweight by 2 kilograms but the clerk said no problem and fastened a tag that said it was authorized as a cabin luggage. I appreciated the touch. Security checks and immigration checks were fast - the lines were moving quickly - and without any hassles. At the Alitalia flight gate, which was at one end of the terminal, there were ample seats and a few shops and cafes which were crowded. Boarding was by group number and perplexingly, group 2 was boarded before group 1. Gate agents wished the passengers "Ciao" or "Arrivederci" - a very nice gesture. The flight left on time. The only discordant note was the free wifi. I was able to use it for a few minutes and then turned it off. When I wanted to use it again later on, it was challenging to reconnect with the instructions confusing and so I gave up. It was not a big problem as the airport has many shopping and dining attractions to keep you engaged. Large glass windows allow you to glimpse the runways and observe the many planes from different airline companies taxiing about - a very cosmopolitan sight! In sum, an excellent airport to use.

"Ridiculous system"

(Iceland)

Not Verified | Worst airport I’ve ever been to. Our flight left from T1 gate A. It is not possible at all to buy food or water after security check for gate A, but gate B has some shops, but we are not allowed to enter gate B. No vending machines either. Ridiculous system.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"Absolute disgrace of airport"

Trip Verified | Absolute disgrace of airport. Once you pass security after 10pm (when many flights are still running) there is no chance to eat at any restaurant let alone buy any water. This is ridiculous. It should be manadatory to sell water at all times if one is not allowed to have it at security. Not a single restaurant would sell water after 10pm. All customer vending machines were non-functional. Duty free store sold no water. All staff including airline staff were not helpful with this issue either. We met a couple whose flight was delayed for hours and were not allowed out of the airport because security gate was closed. This means they were stuck all night at the gates with no food or water. This is a health and safety issue not to provide basic services or to allow passengers movement out of the airport because of flight delays.

"airport is a disgrace"

Not Verified | As I had purchased items for which I sought a tax refund, I had to go to the second floor of Malpensa to obtain such. There were hundreds of people who were attempting to obtain a refund. There were very few who understood the concept of queuing. It was a truly frightening, frustrating and completely disgusting experience. It was less than what a third world country would be capable of. There was one, incompetent and obnoxious man who was supposedly supervising the shortest of what may have resembled queues. He was useless. This was a total disgrace and whoever is responsible for managing the airport, should be sacked. It took 1 3/4 hours to queue in two lines, to obtain the refunds on my credit card. I would add that these queues were referred to as the "fast queues". Apart from this being such a disgraceful and terrifying experience, as some of the people were shouting, arguing and pushing and shoving, Premier Tax Free took one month, before actually processing the refund. This airport is a disgrace.
Date VisitApril 2018

"long line at immigration"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Seriously long line at immigration. 3 booths opened for all non EU passport holders. Took 50 mins to move through immigration . No way to know if baggage reclaim was fast as my bags were already on carousel after such a long time. Very few push carts at departures.

"Be prepared to wait"

Trip Verified | At first this airport seems nice and clean but be prepared to spend a lot of time here. Even with online check in the lines move amazingly slow. Then after security you are greater with high end stores, coffee shops, and an estimated walking time to your gate. This is a trap, you still have to go through “passport control” before you can reach your gate. This can take an hour if you’re not an EU citizen. Be prepared to wait with a lot of anxious people who are missing there flight as they wait.
Date VisitApril 2018

"unpleasant welcome to Italy"

Not Verified | I spent over an hour in the non EU passport queue. There are nowhere near enough staff to accommodate passport checks. There has been pushing and shouting in the queue - completely out of hand. Complete incompetence and a terribly unpleasant welcome to Italy.
Date VisitApril 2018

"came across as unnecessarily nasty"

Not Verified | I am not going to talk about the size of the airport for the volume of passengers nor that people working there could not speak basic English. I left all these behind when, on 21/3/18, I was approaching the gate with a friend, to depart from Athens. We were travelling with Aegean Airlines. I was carrying my hand luggage, the same I’ve been carrying all around my flights. The lady at the gate asked me to check the dimensions, we did it and she was not happy as she felt the wheels were a problem. She came across as unnecessarily nasty when doing so. I argued I never had this problem again so she said ok, take it and let’s see what happens when they stop you at the door. Yes, she threw a tantrum just there. Obviously nothing happened at the door but I was amazed at how unprofessional people can be.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"lack of courtesy and bad customer service"

Not Verified | This is a great airport. Because of it's huge size my small son and I had a little trouble finding our way around it. To get the bus after arriving we had to go to a different floor, we were feeling lost and a little stressed and when we saw the Info check point we rushed there to ask for information. I was so dissapointed with how the lady dealt with us, she was dismissive, rude and said she didn't know where we could get the bus. We asked people that were just walking past and they were happy to help. We were staying at a hotel near the airport so on a separate occasion a few days later we bought tickets for the train and found that the sales gentleman wasn't pleasant either. He had charged me more than what I had paid the day before and wasn't shy to express that he was annoyed I enquired about the tickets. When leaving and going through passport checks I asked the young officer which way to go and he didnt even bother to verbally respond he just sighed impatiently and pointed to a direction. I felt that despite the huge services and shops the airport provides the lack of courtesy and bad customer service from the airport staff was a huge let down. Perhaps training is required more often. Otherwise the airport itself is definitely recommendable.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"staff who don't know how to help"

Trip Verified | The signage for departures consisted of a huge screen showing the usual information, flight number, destination, time etc. plus, for my Ryanair flight to Liverpool, a 'B', I'd arrived in plenty of time for my flight, which was lucky. There were no signs telling me where 'B' was, or where passport control was. Eventually I queued at the Information Desk, where I explained I didn't have to check in any luggage but needed to find 'B', or passport control. The lady at the desk helpfully wrote the letter 'B' on my boarding pass and told me to 'go left', pointing left at the same time. I went left, as far left as it was possible to go in Terminal 1. I found the check in for Ryanair flight to Liverpool luggage, so queued again, explained again I had hand luggage only, and asked for 'B'. I was told to go right, and 'B' was behind the McDonalds. So I trekked back past the Information Desk, onwards to the McDonalds, and there, hidden, was a sign to 'B'. After that, passport control and security were straightforward, as was finding my gate. The floor around the gate area was filthy (this was around 9.30 am), although the rest of the place appeared clean enough. The place is a soulless maze, with staff who don't know how to help. Also the distance from Milan itself is ridiculous (just over an hour by airport express train to Milano Centrale).
Date VisitJanuary 2018