Milan Malpensa Airport

Review by (Italy) 29th June 2015

The main terminal (T1) has been renovated and it's quite nice and convenient. New security check is efficient, good spaces both at check in, security check and boarding gates. The number of shops has been increased., and the Airport Train station provides smooth access to the city of Milan with trains going to different stations (though frequency might be increased).
Date Visit29-05-2015

Review by (Italy) 17th June 2015

Malpensa is a very beautiful airport! For Expo it was completely renovated: new check-in, new air bridge and new lounge. There is a very beautiful shopping area called "square of luxury" where you can find the best international brands. Simply is very modern!
Date Visit14-06-2015

Review by (Netherlands) 25th May 2015

Flew to and from MXP T2 (Easyjet) in May. We arrived close to the entry point of the terminal but were taken by bus (1 min ride) to be offloaded in a complete chaos in between the suitcases that were loaded onto the luggage belts. The terminal building is very old and low ceilings. Only good thing was the proximity of the buses to Milan Centre right outside the Arrivals. Departure was even worse. We were 2.5 hours before departure of our flight. Again the building is old very low poor maintained and does not seems to have air-conditioning (it was 28 degrees outside). Queues for luggage drop were huge. Luckily (as a result?) the queue for security was short. Funny thing is the maze you need to go through to reach security - they do not allow shortcuts even when there is no queue. The departure lounge is just terrible. Downstairs you feel like sitting in a basement upstairs is slightly better. There is a huge shortage of seating there are plenty of shops but only limited catering. Gate areas are terrible we were called to the gate an hour in advance and had a long wait in again a very chaotic area. All together I would avoid flying on Terminal 2 especially at peak times.

Review by (Singapore) 20th October 2014

Arrival on an early morning flight to a queue of a mass of people who are trying to clear immigration. Two queues join into one creates a bottleneck which renders both lines to a stand still. While the other two queues were normal. Immigration officers who had just opened 4 counters couldn't be bothered. Then when the immigration officer closed the EU passport control which unfortunately had only 1 counter open they merge into the line sometimes even had the audacity to cut in front people who had queued right in front of the immigration officer. The officer did in fact asked them to queue up but words fell on deaf ears. Limited trolleys to use and a dreadful looking arrival hall with poor signage and directions. To sum it up a messy and certainly avoidable airport. Shame!

Review by (United States) 28th September 2014

I have recently flown to and from Milan Malpensa airport from and to Asia. One of the worst airports I have been to. Signs are confusing. Arrivals: On arrival at the brand new terminal area the immigration queue is long. There are no signs where to line up for the immigration and the queue disorderly takes up all the space. Once I have cleared the immigration I got to the baggage claim and I got another surprise: no trolley for the luggage. Actually they had some but clearly not enough for even 2 planes arriving at the same time. After asking the information counter and walking for kilometres in this baggage claim area they say to wait 15-20mins that the trolleys would arrive. Departures: If you ever are able to find a toilet which is not 'closed for cleaning' you will find lots of things out of order with a big sign. The customs inspection office for tax free was closed and there was a sign saying that another office is temporary open for tax free with confusing indications of how to get there. Once I got there those offices have big signs saying "no tax free" but one of those actually did the tax free since it was the only one open. My flight out was from the brand new terminal area which forces you to walk for kilometres to reach the gate. Finally all the prices at the airport are far more expensive than the average. Never again!

Review by (United States) 22nd September 2014

I flew to and from here in May 2014 and thought it was dreadful. Firstly it's a very busy airport so you expect clear signage to guide you to where to go - this is not the case. It's hugely confusing. Secondly I admittedly forgot I had a 3/4 full bottle of water in my carry on bag which was around 500ml. My bag went through the scanner and picked up nothing at all. I was shocked that it was completely missed. Thirdly just prior to boarding our flight two of the passengers in our party were assigned new seats away from the rest of us which is fair enough but were given new boarding passes in the names of other members of our party. We then boarded the flight and our passports and boarding cards were checked and this mistake was not picked up. We had to flag this issue ourselves.

Review by (Italy) 19th May 2014

Review by (United States) 11th May 2014

This airport is the worst I've experienced. The signage to guide you from the AA is inadequate. Anyone using the airport for the first time has no idea which exit to take to get to the main terminal. Returning the Hertz rental car was joke also. Poor signage a random parking spot if you can find one and then deal with people that can't speak English well enough to assist with billing questions. Inside the terminal the signage directing you to check in is inefficient. If you don't know where your going good luck figuring out where the US flights check in. They love numbering the check-ins but don't tell you which airline is at what number. Be prepared to hike your bags a long way to check in then hike your carry-ons the full length of the terminal to a poorly mark Stairwell with the single broken escalator. Then be prepared to like through a shopping mall that they force you to walk through and then back the full length to get to another area with the gates. I wouldn't want to be running late as it takes forever. I'm going to avoid this airport if I can in the future.

Review by (United Kingdom) 11th May 2014

This was my first flight to Malpensa to T1 and I wasn't impressed. It's old and shabby with confusing and unusual signage. The worst thing as others have said is the state of the toilets with many out of order. Arrivals is particularly bad although to be fair there is much improvement work going on. Airside departures is nowhere near as bad with good facilities and shops.

Review by (Italy) 4th April 2013

I fly often from Malpensa and globally I think it provides good services. Lately the lift issue with parking at Terminal 1 has been solved with the new lifts. The new Satellite C opened Jan 2013 also contributed to add departure gates and decrease crowd on Intercontinental flights. The fact that Easyjet with a lot of flights operates from a different Terminal is not so good yet the bus connection every 7 minutes means there's little time to wait.