Airline of the Year

Melbourne Airport

"there is absolutely no seating anywhere"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | Departing on Etihad Airways, afternoon I found check-in very pleasant and from there security was a little slow but when you get to immigration things are a lot quicker as the have E-Gates here now, so if this is the case why do you need to fill up the departure card as once successfully through immigration you dump your departure card into a box? The departure area is like a building site and there is absolutely no seating anywhere as to get seating you have to go to the actual gates. Hardly any choices of food on offer and an expensive duty free area which is to be avoided. Toilets are not very inviting and crowded when I was flying out. Hopefully once all the building is complete there will be more space for passengers as this airport needs major upgrades and expansion especially for one of the most liveable cities in the world.

"all staff uninterested"

Unverified | In future, I will ensure that I do not have to pass through Melbourne airport. The walk from some gates is lengthy. About 10 minutes. Once you collect baggage, you must use an automated system to re-check it. 5 Jetstar workers were standing around talking while passengers struggled with checking in their bags. I then had to wait 30 minutes to lift my bag onto automated conveyor. No gate number posted for connecting flight. Decided to have meal. High priced, unhealthy, lack of choice. Then took stab at departure gate #45 and sat for one hour with no heating. I found all staff uninterested and just short of rude. I can only conclude they are as poorly treated as the passengers. In future, I will ensure that I make connections thru sydney, an altogether more respectful and pleasant experience.
Date VisitJune 2017

"able to use the unmanned e-gate"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | At Melbourne Airport, passengers using immigration of Terminal 2 are able to use the unmanned e-gate for ePassport (IC Passport) holders. People just scan own passport and take a photo. You have to queue at the manned immigration lane if the photo was not clear or in case of any problems. Also immigration for departure is able to use the same system. Therefore no need take a long time for immigration queues.
Date VisitMay 2017

"such a terrible facility"

Verified Review | My husband is a platinum flyer and I also travel a lot with him. We had first flown to Adelaide where we both commented on how clean and user friendly the toilets were. We then flew over to Melbourne where my first point of call was the toilet. We arrived at gate 4 so I went to the closest ladies toilet. I was really taken aback to see such a terrible facility in one of our countries busiest airports. There were seats missing, wet toilet paper on the floor and just generally dirty. It really stood out to me after Adelaide. I hope this note might help to have more staff looking at this. There were 5or 6 tiny hand basins for a LOT of weary travellers.

"Access to T4 is poor"

Access to T4 is poor. No easy access to the terminal from the drop off or pick up for families travelling with kids leave extra 30 min. Very difficult to return to drop off, for a brand new facility it really was not thought through. There is also no quick access from T1 to T3 by road, it actually may be better to use T1 as drop off and go to T4 via inside terminal walk ways. Areas around terminal are poorly sign posted and difficult allowing return to terminal. Advice treat T4 as its own airport, don't think about T1 to T3, just take first sign to T4 to ensure you are on their elevated access road.
Date VisitJune 2017

"immigration was a breeze"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | Surprised at how quick I got through Melbourne Airport arriving on Qatar Airways at 5.30pm. It seemed this flight got so lucky as walking towards immigration it was clear no other flights had arrived although a SIA plane was parked next to our gate with a lot of activity going on. On entering the immigration concourse it was completely empty so immigration was a breeze 2 mins and done. Baggage reclaim was empty and bags were on the conveyor within 10 mins so was quick to get my bag. Customs in less than a minute after heading form to a rather stern looking customs official and I was out. Got lucky on this occasion but not so with heavy traffic at this time of night.
Date VisitMay 2017

"it's a bit of a shambles"

(New Zealand)

No interline agreement between the 2 carriers so I had to clear immigration and recheck. Coming in, immigration was speedy as I was able to use the automated gate. Once through finding check in zone E for Jetstar was confusion as it is behind the other zones. Fortunately, Melbourne is not the biggest airport in the world so the confusion is somewhat minimal. After clearing immigration again the departure area is just a big building site and the numbering of the departure gates is somewhat illogical with As and Bs all over the place. Mine was a late night flight so I followed the crowd. I guess when the new retail outlets are built it will be a grand airport. In the meantime it's a bit of a shambles.

"such poor organization"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Shocking organization on arrival. Passengers were asking each other where to go, where to line up. Lines hardly moved at all. When I presented my ticket to get through customs the guy taking it made a rude comment about the older man that went just before me. It took over an hour to get through customs and was incredibly confusing. I overheard passengers saying they had never experienced such poor organization. Then finally get out and it took an agonizing long time to just get out of the airport terminal. Traffic was jammed horrendously. My flight landed at 5.15 pm and I got out of the airport at 7.25pm. Worst airport experience.
Date VisitApril 2017

"Shame on the airport for this"

Verified Review | This is for domestic. Left via the new Terminal 4, arrived back Terminal 3. My first time through Terminal 4. What were the architects thinking? They really embraced the budget experience here and ran with it. We had to use the self serve kiosk for our boarding pass and luggage sticker, then send the bag on its way. That's ok, it saves lining up. The concrete flooring gives a cheap feel. After security there are some stores and eateries. Our gate was at the very end of a boring long concrete passage, no travelator. I saw families struggling with their little ones and an elderly lady hobbling the distance. Shame on the airport for this. We had no airbridge but boarded using the steps. I was just disappointed they could have done so much better and decided not to. Arriving back we came through the older but nicer Terminal 3. Luggage was a little slow but apart from that it was good. Signage should be better as to where to wait for the shuttle buses. Overall it was okay but it sure could be so much better.
Date VisitApril 2017

"facilities maintained well"

Verified Review | Virgin Domestic Terminal at Melbourne Airport. Check in was fine. The staff were efficient. Security was fine as well. The airport's facilities were maintained well also. I was disappointed by the lack of shops. It's a shame there are not more restaurants available for such a big airport. This is particularly difficult when leaving in the evening or if a passenger is transiting after a long overseas flight.
Date VisitMarch 2017