Melbourne Airport

"Dreadful place to transit"

Unverified | Dreadful place to transit. One, yes only one security gate for all passengers in transit. Had to queue for over an hour to go through, and that was late in the evening. Clear that some people were in danger of missing their connecting flights. The staff couldn't possibly care less. Avoid transiting through this place. VOID Weird desparture lounges. Scruffy seating and notices up all over the place threatening arrest if your take photographs. What a dump - more like a third world dictatorship airport than a supposedly developed country. Junk food and more junk food on sale - nothing even remotely healthy. Just a horrible place, truly horrible.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"What a terrible new design"

Unverified | What a terrible new design. Cheap seats when you can find one. Long walk to terminals and no seating at the gate. You have to stand in a queues after walking 10 minutes from the check in and bag lifting you have to do self service. Then the walk onto the plane inside is gone and you get soaked walking to the plane! Now I know how cattle feel being herded into a truck!
Date VisitNovember 2017

"disgusting and unhygienic"

(New Zealand)

Unverified | I have been to some third world country airports and they will come up as stars compared to Melbourne Aiprport. The waiting areas are disgusting and unhygienic. The staff at the retail outlets behave as though they are there to do you a favour rather than to do their job. There are no decent restaurants. The takeaways, are horrible and filthy. Burger King had rubbish and uneaten food on virtually all the tables, the stench was quite unbelievable. The food in the display at Hudson Coffee looked as if it had been there for weeks. The security and screening staff were rude. to the extent that I have lodged a formal complaint. Overall a truly nasty and distasteful experience. A real douche of ice water to end a good weekend.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"just feels claustrophobic"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | This airport is still badly need of a major expansion as it just feels claustrophobic. Security check is still as dreadfully slow as ever with disinterested staff who have attitude problems sadly. Passport control is now very quick as you scan your passport have your photo taken and your done just like an E-gate on arrival. No more departure card required or stamp in your passport. To get to the gates you have to run the gauntlet of walking through Duty Free which seems all the fashion in every airport these days. I was leaving late afternoon and fortunately it wasn't too crowded unlike the night time flights I have been on before where you see so many passengers sitting on the floor. The free Wifi seemed very slow.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"completely unacceptable"

Verified Review | On departure to Auckland I was randomly selected for what I assume was either firearms or drug testing. After being rather rudely instructed to open my bag and place it on a table then stand back, the security officer then pulled aside another 5 or 6 unrelated people and subjected them to the same treatment. She then proceeded to use the same swab to test inside all our bags and then our clothing. The test was negative and we were all ushered onward. I believe this is completely unacceptable - if there had been a positive result, how would she have known who was the perpetrator? What about the cross contamination risk? What about allergen carry over? I contacted the airport, was told they would reply to my query and address my concerns but I have heard nothing.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"This is a terrible airport"

Unverified | This is a terrible airport. Dirty, no gluten free food, no choice of eating areas. Avoid if you can especially the Qantas gates. They are abysmal. This is significant because this is supposed to be the step into long haul international flights. The Qantas provision is a serious disgrace to the city and one which it should take seriously. The airline uses 'Spirit of Australia' as its logo, and I'm sorry to say that this experience is a real problem for tourist trade in the city.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"extremely poor design all round"

Unverified | Thank you for ensuring that my elderly mother had to walk two kilometres with carry on luggage, the extremely poor design all round for people with limited mobility and after a lovely holiday following the death of her husband (my father), leaving my mother distressed and in tears. The most poorly designed, poorly staffed, embarrassment of a place I've ever experienced. And heaven forbid if you're trying to pick up your loved ones from this joke of a place, I drove around for half an hour trying to pick my mother up - more walking required. Why you could not model this terminal on the other 3 is beyond me. Shame! The planners should be sacked!
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"no sales people to assist"

Unverified | Arrived at 2.30am to find the international departures don't open till 3 am. Once inside we proceeded to the duty free, there are no sales people to assist, so we selected items we wanted only to find that the computers are down and they cant do any sales, me and about 50 other passengers were very peeved. Looks like Dubsi will get our business.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"It was the lowest point of our trip"

Unverified | Disgusting! We were on a 9.30am international departure. Check-in and customs - excellent efficient and fast. Downhill from there. Hadn't had breakfast - after passing through customs/immigararion our only choices were Hungry Jacks or Gloria Jeans. Our son wanted Hungry Jacks - 15 minute wait to get served, 15 minutes extra to finally get food. My husband had similar wait time in G Jean queue hoping to get a decent coffee only to be told they had no skin milk or soy milk! (Why didn't they have a sign up so people didn't have to waste time waiting for nothing?). One general eatery area - disgusting. Tables dirty, food on floor, rubbish bins overflowing. I decided to use the loo prior to getting on our flight. Again, disgusting - had to try 3 cubicles before I found a 'clean' toilet! Come on Melbourne Airport Corp - is this how you want Melbourne remembered? This is our international gateway - Airport Corp all to eager to build a 3rd runway to bring in even more travellers but to be greated by a 'third world' country standard terminal - forget it. Get your act together and fix what you already have! It was the lowest point of our trip - this is what greets international guests to my home town.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"not a particularly pleasant place"

Verified Review | Melbourne Airport International Terminal 2 still looks more or less the same externally from when it opened - dated and dowdy. At least no more departure cards are required. We got through immigration and security quite quickly and entered a sea of retail. There are more stores being prepared for opening so the lounge area with TV has now gone to retail. That leaves passengers with nowhere to sit except at the gate. I feel so disappointed that this airport continues to concentrate solely on revenue and less on passengers comfort. Returning at 7.30pm was a bonus as no other international flights seemed to have landed. Bags took about 30 mins which was okay. The auto passport machine worked for me, not my husband so we ended up going through a person at immigration, but that was fast. Getting through customs was still slow, with one person only there as usual. Come on Melbourne, put a few agents on, speed this up. It's tough for long haul tired passengers. It is an easy airport being small, to navigate but it is not a particularly pleasant place to spend time in.
Date VisitJuly 2017