Vote Now

Melbourne Airport

"facilities maintained well"

Verified Review | Virgin Domestic Terminal at Melbourne Airport. Check in was fine. The staff were efficient. Security was fine as well. The airport's facilities were maintained well also. I was disappointed by the lack of shops. It's a shame there are not more restaurants available for such a big airport. This is particularly difficult when leaving in the evening or if a passenger is transiting after a long overseas flight.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"over priced and under delivering"

Verified Review | Worst experience I can remember. I felt embarrassed to be from Melbourne. It took an hour to exit the airport after touching down thanks to the inefficient e-passport process, the luggage connection and the ridiculous lines to hand over your ticket and card along with the others in the hundred metre winding queue-one of two. Even with the clunky immigration process I had to wait 20 minutes for my bag as the queues to exit wound all around me. Any reason why the photo matching can't happen when you scan your passport? All that technology just to hand your ticket and card to a person who just waves you on. Bangkok airport is 3 times as efficient. Congratulations Melbourne airport. Over priced and under delivering and a fine tourism ad for Melbourne. How proud I feel.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"the airport staff were nice and friendly"

Verified Review | Was flying from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur. Arrrived at the airport early to ensure we weren't late, and that paid off heavily. Finding a drop off spot was terribly difficult and we went round and round several times. However once inside T2, we were greeted by modern interiors and pleasant Christmas decor strung up around the check-in counters. As we came early (8pm ish, our flight departed at midnight), our Check In counter was still in the process of checking in the previous flight to Shanghai with China Eastern, which was expected with our earliness. However, once all China Eastern passengers had been checked in, there was a tremendously unnecessary wait for the airport staff to move all the China Eastern boards away and replace them with Malaysia Airlines boards. Even the announcement of the Check In counter opening was horrendously long. Was a full flight, so check in queues were full as well, but the quick check in process made up for that. After check in, we were directed to the International Departures gate, where we were lead to these blank walls? It was then known that the majority of Melbourne Airport was undergoing renovations. So on the way to security, immigration etc, we were accompanied by wooden walls with advertisements. There was a small interlude of shops featuring several expensive items before it dispersed into walls once more. Upon reaching the immigrations area, it was apparent there was a new system for it, featuring machine with cameras to snap a pic of your face. Though many passed through without incident, several others (including myself), had our passports rejected by the system. When airport staff came to assist ages later, we finally did get through, but lo behold, our faces couldn't be scanned. Once past the immigrations, we proceeded to security screening. As expected, there were long queues, and no one seemed to head to the direction of the scanners near the far end of the area? When we last visited Melbourne, there weren't separate body scanners for adults and children, so now there is an improvement, as well as the fact that adults were politely asked to raise the hands while the scanner did its job. Good job, Melbourne, amping up the security! After security, we proceeded to another small area of shops, mostly attracting tourists and those who require a quick snack. I made for the bathroom, which wasn't luxurious, but cleaned and sanitised. Reaching the gate though, however, required for many passengers to sit on the floor. One part of the gate's seating had been sectioned off. I don't know if that was the airport's doing, restricting seats for passengers at the gate, of if it was the airline's (though I don't think they have control over gate seating) but many were left disappointed at the lack of proper seating at the gate. WiFi service was limited and very laggy but the airport staff were nice and friendly, ready to assist your inquiries. All in all, we were satisfied by the accomadation Melbourne airport provides, though we do wish the renovations would complete soon, and that the immigration system would be 'modified' to be less buggy.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"queue jumping was rampant"

(New Zealand)

This place must count as one of the worst organized airports in the civilised world. We queued for everything, it took 90 minutes from getting off the plane (8.15am, 27th Jan) to getting out of the airport. It was long unorganised conga lines, there were no barriers keeping people in line, queue jumping was rampant, in "control" was one young lady who wasn't up to the event she could have done with a dozen or so helpers, 2 guys at the end picked up the arrival cards and threw them onto a heap with only a cursory glance. There must have been more than 600 people in the line. Unless I'm forced to I will not use this place again.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"most of automatic passport readers do not work"

Verified Review | Very small check in area, overcrowded. Business and first class passengers are treated just like economy. Express lane cards for security and passport control do not actually give you any priority, no one cares, and you have to stand in lines with everyone else for 30-60 min. Most of automatic passport readers do not work, there were just 4 border control officers working. Disorganized. Overall - choose Sydney for international departures.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"airport was exceptionally poor"

(Qatar)

International departures are a mess this second week of December. Immigration queues are huge with no respite for first, business or anyone else. The tax return queue was more like a traffic jam, a nasty shock for travelers already late from immigration queues. The airport was exceptionally poor this Sat night (11 Dec) which was a big disappointment after so many years of improvements. Drop off by car upstairs remains grossly underdimmensioned too. All in all - it dropped the ball today.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"not enough machines"

Verified Review | Very inefficient immigration and customs. (I have experience of many airports). Long queues for the automatic e-Passport machines. Not enough machines! Then an incredibly long queue for customs. Hundreds of people in a long queue and then spilling out through the baggage collection area. All just to hand our "nothing to declare form" to the one person who was allocated to collect it. Only one person collecting! Many other customs stafff sitting around waiting to do inspections when required. I complained to Customs staff and they said it was a Melbourne Airport issue (assume because only narrow exit area for them to work in). Then a 25 minute queue for taxis. Even though there were hundres of taxis waiting at the airport, none were coming through to the rank. Very slow and inefficient taxi rank system.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"a complete disgrace"

We arrived back from Singapore - very frequent travelers - baggage information not on the screen, asked a so called "customer service person", where could we collect our bags - answer "look at the screens", explained to him that our Singapore Airlines flight details were not displayed on the screens, his reply: "I don't know, have a look around". A complete joke. We paid for luggage trolleys when we departed, another insult to the "money grabbing mentality" of this airport. Please, wake up to yourselves, parking, even short term requires a personal loan, a complete disgrace. No City trains, only taxi drivers with (at best), little English or a bus at prices that you could afford an extra ticket on a budget carrier. We have moved to Thailand after calling Australia home for 50 plus years. At least we are appreciated here and not "ripped off senselessly" by the greedy corporates that have ruined what was a wonderful country, Melbourne (and for that fact), Sydney Airport operators - wake up to your greed - start offering some value to the traveling public.
Date VisitDecember 2015

"shames the nation"

Melbourne airport shames the nation. Rubbish surrounding the arrival hall; usurious prices for trollies to transport luggage about 100 metres to Checkin; travellator to raise luggage from Arrivals to departures out of action; no space to fill in the immigration forms and absolute ripoff prices at post immigration cafés and restaurants. Airport arrangements are, unfortunately, reflective of the poor service stands applied in this country and the short term returns culture of Australian business. Why can't we get it right like many Asian Airports?
Date VisitNovember 2016

"it was a disgrace"

Verified Review | I have read many of the reviews and I am glad I am not the only one who thinks this airport is so bad. I was there on July 4th this year (2016) and it was a disgrace. At other times it is not much better. Extra flights are the normal excuse yet you see that half of immigration is not staffed. Its arrivals that I speak of from my personal experience from over a dozen trips over the last 4 years to Asia. Immigration and then baggage is always the same - terrible. Cannot get Visa camera to like me - it never works for me? So back to manual visa check. Airport management need to do something, but I suppose they know tourists and locals have no options.
Date VisitJuly 2016