Melbourne Airport

"old, dirty, dated and cramped"

Trip Verified | Poor old Melbourne Airport. Built around 1970 and little has changed externally, it’s old, dirty, dated and cramped. Would easily win the Ugliest Australian airport award. Left Qantas, terminal 1 domestic, the best of a bad bunch. Not sure why there are no escalators instead steps after security necessitating carrying the wheelie carry on. There is an elevator to the left but no escalator here is confusing, why not? Toilets are not modern, usually long line ups. I looked at buying a packet sandwich but at nearly $10, no way. Returning was with Virgin but terminal 4 which meant a hike to terminal 3 for bags, however was well signed. I had to collect a lost bag from an international flight so paid the $4 trolley fee. Walking that to the shuttle area was hard with the raised yellow bumps which kept tipping it over. So little thought by overpaid degree wielding “experts”. I understand the non slip reasoning but they didn’t take trolleys into consideration at all. A sign to where things are at the crossing would help too as I went one too far.

"world's dirtiest airport"

Trip Verified | Chaotic is the best description. This chaos is taking place in one of the world's dirtiest airports. Is this really a first world airport. Maybe the managers should visit a place like Adelaide or better Singapore to see how an airport should be run. The staff are generally cold and aggressive, they need to remember that the passengers are not the reason for their dismal lives, it is their choice. Melbourne you need to pick up your game.

"they have no manners"

Not Verified | Staff in the security section terminal 4 are the rudest people I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Everytime I have to come through they have no manners and are so disrespectful it is unbelievable. I cannot understand why staff with no people skills are allowed to deal with the public. Lift your game Melbourne airport & either employ or train your staff on politeness & manners.

"a very long queue"

Not Verified | Once again, Melbourne airport arrivals shows how bad things can be at a supposed first world airport. As you disembark your plane and you are walking towards passport control there are occasional ATM-like machines which are ePassport kiosks that issue a ticket to you after scanning your passport. It's not obvious how to use them or if you *need* to use them, and people often forget to take their ticket. When you reach passport control there are many people who stroll up to the ePassport validation gates who don't have tickets. They stand there for a minute or so, wondering what the hell is going on and there are often no passport control personnel monitoring these gates to detect these poor souls and direct them elsewhere. Half the validation gates don't work (with flashing red X symbols on them), and if you're not standing exactly right the machine balks at you and you have to keep trying, which just holds up and frustrates people behind you. Compare this to ePassport departures where the passport scan and photo validation is one machine/one process. How the "ticket" system is considered better or faster for *arrivals* is beyond me. Once you get through passport control, you are then presented with a potential lengthy wait for your bags. Depending on how long you wait, other flights arrive and by the time you collect your bag, there's a very long queue to be assessed for whether you are checked by customs or not. Why the heck isn't this stage also provided with some automation?
Date VisitJune 2018

"improvements are paying off"

Not Verified | It was exciting to travel in/out of Melbourne Airport international T2 for which there had been significant changes compared to 2 years ago. Great to see a brand new yellow signed departure area. So much better than before. Our destination was Penang via Singapore. The new duty free area and new shops as in Tiffany & Co has made Melbourne Airport a great shopping experience. Flying Singapore Airlines made checking in a breeze as this is all now self check in. Thank you for the assistant helping us. Very friendly check-in counter staff and the e passport system is quick and straight forward. Their should be a security lane for airline staff as they had priority over anyone else which can provide a little back log at times. Arriving back in Melbourne at 4:30am with 4 other airlines arriving was quick using the e passport system. The new baggage area with the yellow illuminating numbers are a big improvement. The only downside at carousel 8 was waiting for the bag which snaked which ever way on to the conveyer belt where the wait took at least 30-40 minutes. But overall a great experience and the improvements over time are paying off. I strongly believe though a train direct to the city is well overdue even though Skybus do a great job. The airport and the freeway are only going to get busier.

"a terrible experience"

Not Verified | Today I had a terrible experience at the Melbourne Airport Terminal Car park. On the way out I paid for my ticket but with kids / bags / returning international traveller I dropped my ticket at the pay booth. I did not realise this till at the boom gate to exit with a bunch of cars lined up behind me. I spoke to 'customer service' via the intercom and was told I could pay an additional $12 to exit or reverse and go to speak to the 'customer service' desk. Given these two ludicrous options I made the cars behind me reverse and found customer service desk - which was not a manned desk but a pay station with about 15 people lined up to speak to 'customer service' via an intercom. Husband ended up finding the ticket and we made out way back to boom gates - where we had to pay another $4.04 (because of course they charge a fee for credit cards) for the additional time taken with this pointless exercise. The system records my rego, time of entry, time of payment and time of exit. Your 'customer service' team could use this information to allow me to exit without all the fuss and bother or you could configure your systems to get rid of the paper ticket all together and save everyone the hassle. To choose to do otherwise is only possible in a private monopoly business.

"immigration processes smooth"

Trip Verified | We arrived at a less busy time (10 p.m.) so a comparison with previous arrivals in peak times may not be entirely accurate. But this experience was completely different. Instead of the rude and barking Border Protection officials we had encountered on previous arrivals, everyone seemed to go out of their way to be helpful and friendly. We got through the immigration processes quite smoothly and were on our way in a reasonable time. Keep it up, Melbourne Airport!
Date VisitJune 2018

"enjoyed my departure experience"

Not Verified | Departure Review: For my first time travelling overseas, most of the queues were very easy to navigate through, except for the baggage drop at the very start. The wait through customs was only about 5 to 10 minutes before I entered the terminal. The International Terminal was incredibly clean compared to the domestic terminals I have previously encountered. Shopping wise, most of it seemed alright, a little overpriced, but fairly decent. The terminal is big but there is a lot less shopping space. If you were one to transit at Melbourne Airport, I'd probably recommend bringing something to keep you busy with you as sometimes the wait for your'e flight can get a little boring. Found it hard to find a seat as well as it was a little busy but overall I enjoyed my departure experience. Arrival Review: The wait for the baggage took a while and was a little crowded at the time, I was pretty annoyed that it took about 20 minutes for my luggage to actually come onto the conveyor belt, not exactly my best experience but I hope it won't happen again. The queues were through customs weren't as bad and the staff were pretty nice and helpful when it came to the e-passport machine. Declaring the chocolate I brought home from Germany went really quickly and I was able to leave the airport at a reasonable time. Can't wait for my next overseas adventure!
Date VisitApril 2018

"intimidated and harassed"

Trip Verified | This morning arrived from KL. A bus load of passengers and I watched as an airport employee intimidated and harassed an elderly frightened woman. Waited an hour to get to terminal. Melbourne Airport, your employees and government officials’ attitude stinks, your culture is toxic, and your customer orientation is non-existent.
Date VisitMay 2018

"ranks very low in my opinion"

Trip Verified | Another disappointing experience at this airport. Arrived at about 7:45 am on schedule after a smooth overnight flight on Emirates from Singapore (one of the best airports in the world), and that is when it all came to a grinding halt. The Airbus 380 had to place to park so we had to embark with one (1) set of old fashioned outdoor stairs, top deck first, then economy. This took a very long time, about 30 minutes. Then we were herded into a bus, there were only one or two, that took a long time as well. Finally, the luggage carousel, another 30 minutes for our luggage to arrive. The another long, long queue of a few hundred metres for the customs officer. Toilets were dirty. Had to wait for our connecting flight, and there not many places to sit, wifi poor. Travel a lot and Tullamarine ranks very low in my opinion.
Date VisitApril 2018