Melbourne Airport

Terminal Seating N/A
Terminal Cleanliness N/A
Queuing Times N/A

"This is a terrible airport"

Unverified | This is a terrible airport. Dirty, no gluten free food, no choice of eating areas. Avoid if you can especially the Qantas gates. They are abysmal. This is significant because this is supposed to be the step into long haul international flights. The Qantas provision is a serious disgrace to the city and one which it should take seriously. The airline uses 'Spirit of Australia' as its logo, and I'm sorry to say that this experience is a real problem for tourist trade in the city.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"extremely poor design all round"

Unverified | Thank you for ensuring that my elderly mother had to walk two kilometres with carry on luggage, the extremely poor design all round for people with limited mobility and after a lovely holiday following the death of her husband (my father), leaving my mother distressed and in tears. The most poorly designed, poorly staffed, embarrassment of a place I've ever experienced. And heaven forbid if you're trying to pick up your loved ones from this joke of a place, I drove around for half an hour trying to pick my mother up - more walking required. Why you could not model this terminal on the other 3 is beyond me. Shame! The planners should be sacked!
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"no sales people to assist"

Unverified | Arrived at 2.30am to find the international departures don't open till 3 am. Once inside we proceeded to the duty free, there are no sales people to assist, so we selected items we wanted only to find that the computers are down and they cant do any sales, me and about 50 other passengers were very peeved. Looks like Dubsi will get our business.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"It was the lowest point of our trip"

Unverified | Disgusting! We were on a 9.30am international departure. Check-in and customs - excellent efficient and fast. Downhill from there. Hadn't had breakfast - after passing through customs/immigararion our only choices were Hungry Jacks or Gloria Jeans. Our son wanted Hungry Jacks - 15 minute wait to get served, 15 minutes extra to finally get food. My husband had similar wait time in G Jean queue hoping to get a decent coffee only to be told they had no skin milk or soy milk! (Why didn't they have a sign up so people didn't have to waste time waiting for nothing?). One general eatery area - disgusting. Tables dirty, food on floor, rubbish bins overflowing. I decided to use the loo prior to getting on our flight. Again, disgusting - had to try 3 cubicles before I found a 'clean' toilet! Come on Melbourne Airport Corp - is this how you want Melbourne remembered? This is our international gateway - Airport Corp all to eager to build a 3rd runway to bring in even more travellers but to be greated by a 'third world' country standard terminal - forget it. Get your act together and fix what you already have! It was the lowest point of our trip - this is what greets international guests to my home town.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"not a particularly pleasant place"

Verified Review | Melbourne Airport International Terminal 2 still looks more or less the same externally from when it opened - dated and dowdy. At least no more departure cards are required. We got through immigration and security quite quickly and entered a sea of retail. There are more stores being prepared for opening so the lounge area with TV has now gone to retail. That leaves passengers with nowhere to sit except at the gate. I feel so disappointed that this airport continues to concentrate solely on revenue and less on passengers comfort. Returning at 7.30pm was a bonus as no other international flights seemed to have landed. Bags took about 30 mins which was okay. The auto passport machine worked for me, not my husband so we ended up going through a person at immigration, but that was fast. Getting through customs was still slow, with one person only there as usual. Come on Melbourne, put a few agents on, speed this up. It's tough for long haul tired passengers. It is an easy airport being small, to navigate but it is not a particularly pleasant place to spend time in.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"I now hate their Long Term Car park"

Verified Review | Overall I love Melbourne Airport, however I now hate their Long Term Car park, and would warn any other travellers to be very careful about using it. Their website clearly states that 'The easiest part of your trip is the parking', well that is a load of rubbish! In addition, their website suggests that a bus to the terminal is 4-5 minutes. Do not be fooled by this. This is not accurate. I recently arrived at the Carpark at 14.05 hrs, with a 'reasonable' expectation that it would take 15-20 mins to park, and get the shuttle bus to terminal 3. This took over 30 mins, resulting in me just missing my flight. Upon politely requesting a refund for the parking only (paying my own way for the extra flight ticket), I was informed that it was my own problem. It was clear from talking to check-in staff that this is a regular occurrence. Nowhere on the Melbourne Airport website does it give any guidelines/suggestions that one needs to allow so much time to get from the carpark to the terminal.
Date VisitJune 2017

"there is absolutely no seating anywhere"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | Departing on Etihad Airways, afternoon I found check-in very pleasant and from there security was a little slow but when you get to immigration things are a lot quicker as the have E-Gates here now, so if this is the case why do you need to fill up the departure card as once successfully through immigration you dump your departure card into a box? The departure area is like a building site and there is absolutely no seating anywhere as to get seating you have to go to the actual gates. Hardly any choices of food on offer and an expensive duty free area which is to be avoided. Toilets are not very inviting and crowded when I was flying out. Hopefully once all the building is complete there will be more space for passengers as this airport needs major upgrades and expansion especially for one of the most liveable cities in the world.

"all staff uninterested"

Unverified | In future, I will ensure that I do not have to pass through Melbourne airport. The walk from some gates is lengthy. About 10 minutes. Once you collect baggage, you must use an automated system to re-check it. 5 Jetstar workers were standing around talking while passengers struggled with checking in their bags. I then had to wait 30 minutes to lift my bag onto automated conveyor. No gate number posted for connecting flight. Decided to have meal. High priced, unhealthy, lack of choice. Then took stab at departure gate #45 and sat for one hour with no heating. I found all staff uninterested and just short of rude. I can only conclude they are as poorly treated as the passengers. In future, I will ensure that I make connections thru sydney, an altogether more respectful and pleasant experience.
Date VisitJune 2017

"able to use the unmanned e-gate"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | At Melbourne Airport, passengers using immigration of Terminal 2 are able to use the unmanned e-gate for ePassport (IC Passport) holders. People just scan own passport and take a photo. You have to queue at the manned immigration lane if the photo was not clear or in case of any problems. Also immigration for departure is able to use the same system. Therefore no need take a long time for immigration queues.
Date VisitMay 2017

"such a terrible facility"

Verified Review | My husband is a platinum flyer and I also travel a lot with him. We had first flown to Adelaide where we both commented on how clean and user friendly the toilets were. We then flew over to Melbourne where my first point of call was the toilet. We arrived at gate 4 so I went to the closest ladies toilet. I was really taken aback to see such a terrible facility in one of our countries busiest airports. There were seats missing, wet toilet paper on the floor and just generally dirty. It really stood out to me after Adelaide. I hope this note might help to have more staff looking at this. There were 5or 6 tiny hand basins for a LOT of weary travellers.