Marseille Airport

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th June 2015

Marseille itself is a wonderful, buzzing, cosmopolitan place, but this airport, or possibly just the Easyjet/Ryanair sector of it, lets it down. You enter into a general hall that includes a very nice café area, where you can wait for your flight check in to show. The use of computers and digital displays in this airport is almost non existent. When we noticed our Easyjet check in was open, it was via a wooden or stiff cardboard board above the Easyjet area. We had speedy bag drop which that weekend, might just not have existed (see my Gatwick review). There were two queues. We were second in the speedy queue but you'd not have known it. At least 5 people went though on the other queue before we were called forward. There were two check in desks but our attendant seemed to have a lot of admin before she could start the process. We eventually were called, showed our documents, the tags were put on our luggage. Then we were told to take our luggage through and to the right. This was via a crush barrier, not the sort that you see in the bigger airports but solid fixed steel like a cattle crush! We traversed this maze of a barrier, to arrive at another point where once again our credentials were checked/scanned and our luggage put on a conveyor. We then went into a general holding area, that had a news shop and coffee area, and quite nice seats. But the loos were upstairs. This next floor was obviously an overflow area as there were lots of seats and no one in them. Ladies, these loos were the worst I've been in even on campsites. There were three that I would not even go in. Clearly there is no regular check/cleaning. Gents were apparently good. Down in the general waiting area, we could see a doorway that appeared to lead to passport control and the gates, but signage was minimal. There was no digital departure board. There was a board that showed all current flights, but it didn't seem to be updated as an announcement for the first flight didn't result in any change on the board. Our flight was meant to be 11.20. At 10.40 we decided we'd best move closer to the gates/passport control. We found passport control, through another of the fixed barrier mazes. There were 4 booths, three of them manned.The two guys in the ones immediately facing , simply ignored us. I moved forward, the woman in the other booth told me to wait. There was a digital board facing them and clearly they were able to see flight information which we couldn't.As it was there was chaos at Gatwick, so our flight was delayed, but no-one told us. Eventually at 10.55 we were called forward, and I noticed one of the attendants from the check in desk carrying the Gatwick sign from the desk. She was setting it up at the gate as we approached. Speedy boarding, she said, to the left by the window. Given that one wall is a window, difficult to know where to stand. There was a door in the middle, and one at the far end. Eventually there was an announcement in French and English telling us to move down. It got to 11.15. The luggage was on the tarmac, as was the fuel, and two sets of steps. No plane. Said plane eventually arrived at 11.20 (for said 11.20 flight) There are no loos after passport control. (There is a warning notice) and no seating in the gate area. We were eventually boarded at about 11.55. Unfortunately the first step on front set to the plane was a little high for my arthritic knee, and no attendant there to help. Poor service!
Date Visit18-06-2015
Wifi Connectivity N/A

Review by (United Kingdom) 17th March 2015

Absolutely poor. If I was one of the vendors in the airport I would be asking for a rebate of my rental. They keep you held in the security check for so long you can't spend any money in the duty-free or even have time for a drink before setting off. I have never seen slower queues.

Review by (France) 1st September 2014

Should be one of the best but is so badly managed it is ruining the image of Marseille. They claim there object is to be easy to use and then ruin the place with interminable bollards and posts. The shops are poor and the catering all basically the same. Security is rude and engages in untrained activity. I had to travel with a broken shoulder and they insisted in removing all the fabric braces including the back shoulder brace and then refitting and adjusting them with no training or medical competence available. This airport is a good reason not to move to Marseille either as a business or to live Wasted taxpayer's money by incompetent managers. A real shame.

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th July 2014

Marseille MP2 is frankly a bit of a pit - presumably the airlines that use it benefit from reduced fees which they pass on to customer. Definitely feels like the steerage option and I shudder to think how this works for the very old the very young and those with reduced mobility for disabilities whether temporary or permanent. Felt like a visit to a DIY store with service on same basis. It feels as if there is a complicit acceptance of you have paid your money and made your choice about this place. The only positive to the recent air traffic controller strike in June is that we took an Easyjet flight to Nice instead of MP2 - I had been warned by a friend who flew last year but my wife and I were still surprised on our return leg. Good reason for looking at BA flights next time provided one can book in advance and get a decent fare of course.

Review by (Australia) 10th June 2014

Arrived at around 11.40am on a Saturday from Barcelona. First impressions of terminal were positive but after going downstairs to baggage area went downhill from there. Only two toilets in the baggage area and at least 20 people in line. Toilets were not very clean. Bags took around 20 minutes to arrive. Lots of renovation work going on in terminal. Used the information desk to get some maps and ask some questions and they were very helpful. Outside terminal went to buy tickets for shuttle into town. Huge lineup and there was only one person serving. Four buses came and went before I was served. Finally left the airport around 13.30. If you must use this airport only word of advice is to buy tickets for the airport shuttle online.

Review by (United Kingdom) 21st April 2014

My wife and I departed from Marseille Airport to Paris CDG last Saturday in the early afternoon. We are both over 70 my wife had a hip replacement operation last year and whilst I consider myself as reasonably fit I have had a number of heart operations and have an artificial heart valve. What annoyed me most about this airport was the lack of management leadership control of the security queue. The staff in my view were ill-disciplined arrogant couldn't care less. Quite honestly I did think they were appalling when we arrived there was a queue with only one gate open after we had gone through security suddenly there were more staff and two gates open and no queue. Very bad performance compared with decent airport security such as Manchester.

Review by (Ireland) 9th April 2014

This review refers to the MP2 terminal. I completely agree with most of the other reviews. I have never felt the need to review an airport before. This one however is a shambles. It is a shoddy large shed of a place. It is poorly organised overcrowded and gives no sense of confidence to the air traveller. The airport itself is quite difficult to access. Arriving in Marseille on Friday evening was a nightmare - enormous traffic jams and it was even quite challenging for the hire car's GPS to get us to our destination. Avoid at all costs.

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st October 2013

My review is for Marseille MP2. Horrible airport terminal. This is probably the most inefficient and badly organised airport that I have experienced. The queue at security is always badly managed. They don't have a line for people who require special assistance. They don't seem to have enough people to manage the queue. So many people who use this terminal do not have manners they just jump the queue. No airport staff seem to organise the place. I've had enough of Marseille MP2. I'll never set foot in this airport terminal again.

Review by (France) 31st July 2013

MP2. This terminal is a joke! I thought maybe it was a temporary structure but it seems it was purpose built. We used the airport for a flight to Istanbul. We arrived on Sunday evening for a flight scheduled for 0155. There were no facilities at all for food or drink. Check in was appalling and chaos seemed to be the order of the day. We had to take our hold luggage through ourselves and waited nearly an hour for it to be checked at security. When we finally reached the departure lounge again any shops that are there were closed the coffee machine was out of order so had to sit (in extremely uncomfortable seating) for two hours with no refreshments available to us. Apparently the building was originally used for cargo I think passengers are being treated in the same way. Marseille Airport Authorities please note we are paying customers and expect some sort of service that reflects that. Whether we are flying budget airline or not we should be treated with respect.

Review by (France) 10th July 2013

Marseille MP2 (part of Marseille airport dedicated to low cost flights) is a terrible place for passengers. Last month we spent one hour queuing between the Ryanair registration and the plane access. A hundred people standing in a very small space no seat available. And again 20 min queuing before the luggage control. Comment of the airport staff: "you should be happy to have toilets available". All the building is noisy.