Manila Airport

"the line was extremely slow"

Not Verified | I was not going to write a review but after reading Alex Dacles' review that this place has been transformed I felt I needed to issue a rebuttal. He certainly could not have been flying on the flagship Philippine Airlines which has the exclusive use of Terminal 2 so cannot be describing Terminal 2. I arrived on Monday April 30 on PR119 direct from Toronto at 6.30am. When I first flew to the Philippines 30 years ago my first impression of the airport and terminal building was that it reminded me of a cattle barn and nothing has changed over that time. When we arrived either the air conditioning was not working or there as no air conditioning as it was extremely humid even at that time of the morning. There were a lot of airport employees around but not all the custom booths were open and the line was extremely slow. Things are definitely more fun in the Philippines. The luggage took almost 45 minutes to start coming down the carousel but once it does you expect it be be continuous but this was not the case. A batch would come down and then you would see it do several laps if unclaimed before a new batch would come down. The toilet was disgusting. In addition there was no toilet paper. I am not sure if they do not supply toilet paper or if arriving passengers already stole the toilet paper as I understand this is a common practice in the Philippines. The only good thing about this is that the airport terminal prepares you for what waits outside.
Date VisitMay 2018

"poorly organised with no proper displays"

Trip Verified | MNL T3 is filling up but most of the investment seems to be channelled into retail rather than facilities. Arrivals is a lengthy walk with sometimes functioning travelators, and barely functioning air conditioning. Immigration has usually been OK at T3 with reasonable waiting times. The baggage hall is poorly organised with no proper displays on which belt your bag is likely (or not) to arrive on. T3 seems determined to make the metered taxi queue harder to find compared to the more expensive fixed price taxi and the crazy price taxi touts. Departures starts with the queue to enter the terminal. Airline check in queues are well managed. Minimal queues in both Immigration and Security. I think there's a single Departures screen just after Security and nothing else throughout the entire Departures area (which is several hundred m long) as far as I could see. The rest of the Departures area is characterised by uncomfortable seating, shoddy and over priced food and drinks places and an incomprehensible announcement system.
Date VisitMay 2018

"finally been transformed"

Not Verified | This airport has finally been transformed. The connectivity and efficiency are really high plus having plenty of restaurants in the vicinity are really helpful to stay while waiting for another flight.
Date VisitApril 2018

"absolute worst airport in the world"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | The absolute worst airport in the world. I should no I have flown in here 14 times in the last 3 years. This airport is a dump, especially terminal 2 which is the Philippines Airlines terminal. It is dirty and old. There is very limited choices of food selection both inside and outside of the terminal. Pack your own food unless you want to eat some greasy pork or a cup of soup and most food outlets close by 8 pm. The internet in the terminal is terrible, it barely works and just makes you more frustrated. Baggage arrival takes over 30 minutes on the only carousel they have for International arrivals. Getting from terminal to terminal is almost impossible and takes over an hour by taxi to go from Terminal 2 to 3 and if you use the so called free terminal bus it takes longer. The bottom line is the place is a dump and needs serious improvement now! It is an embarrassment to the Philippines that tourists arrive at this disgusting airport as their first impression of the country. I am shocked that the Philippine government do not do anything to improve their airport. The departure lounge is freezing cold. I sat with a hoody on and a turtle neck to try and stay warm. The only small improvement is they upgraded from hard metal seats to come vinyl covered blue seats.
Date VisitApril 2018

"1hr to get through immigration"

Not Verified | Upon arrival it took us 1hr to get through immigration check. When departing it was the same thing. Any tourist will find it rather stressful. And after verifying my boarding pass, another security checks on your bags at thew boarding gate. If you really want to do security checks just go ahead and open up the bags dont ask the passenger whats inside. Staff checking the bags are rude and unfriendly. Poor airconditioning at the check in area.
Date VisitApril 2018

"manual scanning was done"

Not Verified | On our departure 25 April from Terminal 2, Brisbane bound, there seemed to be unvailability of wheelchair, had to request 3 times from 3 different ground staff. No X-ray machine to check luggage, instead manual scanning was done. Inside, was even messy, nowhere to walk through, jammed by passengers near US boarding areas. At the boarding area, staff needs training as to be flexible with situation calls for it especially for elderly needs. No nearby toilets around. A spilled water or drink on the wet floor, no cleaning maintenance around.
Date VisitApril 2018

"queues are just too long"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | My mutiple experience at departure immigration truly made me sick! The queues are just too long and too slow. Can't understand why no action has been taken to improve it. Don't tell me no politician ever travels through this airport. Locals like my wife had to suffer even longer quene than me. Just can't understand why exiting the country needs biometrics to be taken.

"undermanned immigration checkpoint"

(Philippines)

Not Verified | My wife and I flew home to the Philippines from Singapore on April 15 2018, Flight number PR508. Upon arrival we were herded through a narrow stairwell (about 300 of us) towards an undermanned immigration checkpoint. When I say herded, I mean like animals, with no regard for elderly or passengers with children. There was no one guiding us, no organized que, just a mad, hot jumble of passengers jammed together like sardines. I have lived here for 16 years and while I don't expect everything to be perfect, I do expect more from NAIA. What a horrible experience and this, from a new modern airport. I can't imagine what tourists must think about our beautiful country, after being treated like this. Even Filipinos were making remarks like "Ethiopia airport is better than this" and "this is like a fifth world country". Many people were taking photos to post on Facebook. It was a horrible experience and it took my wife and I, both of us senior citizens more than an hour to clear immigration. I expect better service than this from Filipinos. Are my expectations too high? Maybe I should lower the bar. I certainly hope this is addressed, although I have my doubts that it will be. Like everything else, it will be ignored and forgotten.

"painful travel experience"

Trip Verified | Long immigration queues. Understand that maybe during this time several flights have landed but at least they can facilitate a more efficient way of getting the lines moving. No assigned staff to ensure that people are queuing in a more organised manner. We ended up queuing in foreign passport lanes as the Philippine passport lines are messy; 1 line became 3 and no one knows where it is heading. Each lane has 2 windows for 2 officers, but theres only 1 assigned officer in each window. Hence, adding to the slowness of the queues. They 'management' is expected to know the influx of passengers arriving in a certain period of time. Long Check-in queues: If you are flying Cebu Pacific expect that there's only 1 long line for international flights. Long queue if you require to furnish travel tax: Staffs are very slow; lacks urgency in what they are doing, overall process just too slow moving, including photocopying of documents and payment if needed. Long queue in Immigration: queue overflows international departure gate. There are also few Immigration Officers stationed. Why can't they consider adding officers during peak period? Airport ambience chaotic. Lack of systematic process combined with unprofessional (slow) staffs and lack of staff in place results to painful travel experience.
Date VisitApril 2018

"One of the worst airports"

Trip Verified | One of the worst airports in the world. They don't care about travelers and no customer service. The free shuttle service between terminals is slow and disorganised. I have never seen any airport shuttle services mixed-in with local traffic-jams. A nearby inter-terminal transfer will last 1 hour. It is horrendous. It feels like the setup is for the local taxis to make some easy money. Long-lines at the border control as well. I was in the front of the line but because of the disorganisation, I was one of the last 4 people leaving customs by following the rules in line.
Date VisitFebruary 2018