Top 100 Airlines

Luton Airport

"Chaos at Luton Airport"

Chaos at Luton Airport - charging £2.50 for a drop off and placing a camera car recording people is disgusting. An airport should be welcoming not trying to steal every penny from anyone who comes near it. Shame of the management in charge of parking.
Date VisitMay 2016

"awful pick up /drop off"

Luton Airport has an awful pick up /drop off system that was all jammed up and charges £2.50 for 10 mins. It says unattended vehicles will be towed but I saw several yesterday which then holds up everyone else. An awful layout - will not be flying from Luton again if I can help it.
Date VisitMay 2016

"will vote with my feet"

Arrived from Faro today 28th May, at around 12.45, delays started as Menzies were very slow to affix the steps, when we finally got off the plane we had large queues at Passport Control, we used the electronic system in the end and waited 20 minutes to go through, only 3 out of 10 booths worked, how does one justify that. We moved on to collect our cases, we then waited a further hour for our baggage, bags came through very sporadically with the belts stopping often, I've never waited so long for baggage. This airport is a disgrace, whilst they are trying to redevelope the site, the customer experience is shameful. I for one will vote with my feet when at all possible. Don't think I'm being picky the outbound experience was just as bad, had an early flight, and all shops and coffee facilities were closed. Why insist that we get there early, only to find all facilities that might help the customer, closed? Ridiculous.
Date VisitMay 2016

"worst airport I have ever flown from"

This is without doubt the worst airport I have ever flown from. The drop off zone was horrific and to charge £2.50 for 10 minutes belies belief. Leaving the building site aside, the catering offer is bottom of the pile. The facilities at the gate are shocking and for Easyjet to put up a last call notice 40 minutes before we got near a plane is a joke. I will never visit this airport again.
Date VisitMay 2016

"Luton has gone backwards"

The drop off car park is chaos and £2.5 for a drop off is disgraceful. Flight delayed by approx. two hours but the board kept changing back and forth and the time given by the easyJet staff was totally different. No seating before security. Security check had very miserable staff who did not explain what was needed. (Some shoes off and some shoes on). Big queue and not comfortable having my possessions (money passport etc) out of my sight for that length of time. Post security seating (which is face to face and knees almost touching) was full and there was only one set (7) of ladies toilets open. Hence queues of 25 plus people each time. I found most of the other airport staff polite especially one cleaner who waited while we sorted out our rubbish. Arrival back in the UK, again was not great, did not really know which queue (if you can call them that) to get in for passport control though did find the automatic passport recognition speedy. Once we had our baggage (refused to take trolley as had to pay) there was just one double door to get out of the terminal, a child had fallen off her trolley case and there was soon a big build up of people. Out at the pick up point there was chaos again. I have not flow for many years and found Luton airport has gone backwards. My trip was to/from Zurich which is an outstanding airport and Luton could learn at lot.

"shame on Luton"

(Lithuania)

Terrible airport. On arrival staff were unable to attach stairs to the back door of plane. On departure there were no signs of priority queues or they were not visible enough. I was not allowed to enter the departure zone when I arrived early. Waiting rooms are not air-conditioned enough. In conclusion, best to pick other airports. Shame on Luton.
Date VisitMay 2016

"if you can avoid this airport"

This airport must be the most expensive in the UK for car parking. The staff should have masks on it is such a rip off in pricing. £2.50 charged just to drop off somebody at the airport with enthusiastic parking enforcement just in case you try and avoid their charges. All for the privilege of parking on a building site, one that is complete chaos. The airport its self resembles an old fashioned cattle market, again chaos. I would say if you can avoid this airport do so even if the fight costs more. You will be better off.

"nothing particularly special"

Verified Review | So, reading other reviews I was a little sceptical of using Luton airport for the first time. Overall, there is nothing particularly special about this airport that is housed within a glorified tin shed. Basic facilities and a average range of shops and each, but consider this is the London hub for no frills airlines so not as developed. Under refurb at the moment so may be better when finished. I slept at the airport overnight before early morning departure (as did many others) but be warned there are no benches to sleep on, no real quiet or dark areas so be prepared to kip in a corner of the terminal.

"don't want it to grow"

We left Stevenage about 6.30 and arrived at Luton by hire car at 6.55. The driver used a back route in but there was no queue on the main route. After a few minutes wait we checked our baggage in and proceeded through a security. The display said about 3 minutes wait and we were about that. By 7.15 we had reached flight departure side. I am currently sitting in Kitchen and Bar where there are 128 seats 28 of which are occupied. In the main seating area there are about 300 seats I guess which are about 30% occupied. Toast and jam is 1.99. Tea 1.99. There are a fair selection of shops including a large WH Smiths. We were recommended to go flight side when I asked because of better shops and I agree. I do not know if it is particularly quiet at the moment but flights are leaving every five minutes. So, while this is not Heathrow or Stansted, it is not the smallest airport I have been to (Inverness is where we are going). The only reason I would not recommend this airport is because I don't want it to grow. Particularly not into the Hertfordshire countryside.

"very unpleasant experience"

A very unpleasant experience all round. I echo the sentiments of previous reviewers regarding the parking, it's beyond a joke. We used the services of an off-site parking company, thinking it would be more convenient. Through no fault of their own, the parking company also have to comply with the 15 minute rule (get in and get out as quickly as you can or pay even more money). We still had to traipse a long way from the terminal to the drop off point and wait without shelter, in the rain for our car to arrive. I think we paid in the region of £60 for the privilege. Once through to the departure gate, there is nowhere to sit, there are simply no seats. We queueing travellers were informed quite forcefully by a member of staff, marching up and down our straggling lines, that if we didn't have our passports open on the right page, then we would be denied boarding. Easyjet is a budget airline and need to turn their aircraft around quickly but treating customers so brusquely was completely uncalled for, unnecessary and ill mannered. We could have booked the same destination with British Airways from Heathrow for a little more, and that's what we'll be doing in future. I can't think of a good reason to return to horrible Luton Airport.
Date VisitMarch 2016