Vote Now

Luton Airport

"a complete shambles at peak times"

Verified Review | It is hard to determine what the senior management at Luton Airport see as their next career move – to run a shopping mall or perhaps they have bought shares in some “Staycation” company. They certainly appear to have no aptitude or interest in running an airport or providing a service to travellers. Admittedly they trot out the excuse that the airport is being redeveloped but that is no reason to treat today's passengers so badly. Their priority was obviously to get the shopping areas completed first then anything to do with passenger convenience or comfort was ignored. Parking at the airport, check-in/bag-drops, passport control and security are all a complete shambles at peak times. When you have undergone all those queues you will find nowhere to sit while you wait for your flight – but cheer up plenty of opportunity to shop. Luton is far and away the worse of the “London” airports. Although we only live 30 mins from the airport we shall fly from Heathrow or Gatwick in the future.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"struggled to find any signs or directions"

Verified Review | I appreciate that the current works at the airport will inconvenience people to some extent but the situation at the short term car park just gets worse every visit. I parked yesterday and struggled to find any signs or directions to the terminal. Eventually I found small gaps in the temporary fencing to cross the road. On my return I could find no way to the car park. All previous entrances were fenced off. I wasn't alone, there were 4 of us in just the time I was there. I had to climb the railing from the drop off zone with a suitcase, cross the busy car park entrance and climb a further railing to get to my car. This is not the first time - its nearly every time I travel and it gets worse. There appears to be no consideration whatsoever in terms of health and safety for car park users

"little or no seating"

If anything disabuses you of the notion that there is still romance left in air travel, it is Luton airport. Crowded, little or no seating, bottlenecks throughout the buildings, poor transfer to car parks, approach roads in poor state of repair. Whoever is running this place should be sacked.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"put me off using this airport"

I was only dropping my son off and hadn't realised that I had to pay anything. Luckily I found some change in the car. This has put me off using this airport. I certainly would not recommend anyone anyone using this airport. At least Heathrow you can drop off with no charge.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"please think to allocate staff evenly"

I didn't spend much time there on my way out and managed to go reasonably quickly so that was ok. The way back was a real pain, the customs line was disgraceful. The uniformed employees of course take the usual prison camp approach to people coming in with little to no attempt to reduce the line by introducing more officers to let non eu passengers in. I was forced to wait 25 mins in the queue which made me miss my bus, while the eu passengers were going through quickly (probably 5mins for them), they had ample people working for eu passports and 1 person doing non eu passports, so I had to change my bus ticket and got home 2 hours late as a result. So to all officers, in future please think to allocate staff evenly to make a similar waiting time for everybody.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"there is nowhere to ask for help"

Verified Review | We have missed our flight to Geneva due to weather condition delays on the 23rd February. There is nowhere to ask for help. We ended up going back to the security gates to ask for help and they told us to reach for people wearing "Menzies" jackets. I can tell you that they are very rare breed. I even asked one of them because I recognised the "Menzies" label that he was trying to hide under his hoody he said that the area where we were was not under his responsibilities? The Menzies people we had to deal with were trying everything to avoid giving any kind of help. Helping people in the airport isn't the job they are supposed to do for the salary they are getting anyway? What a bunch of incompetents! Better off without them since they are useless.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"the most stupid piece of planning I've ever seen"

And it's got worse. Now all traffic including visitors and deliveries have to go through the car park to get out! Not just that, oh no, all buses, coaches police cars, taxis etc.. All have to go through the car park exit. No car is able to escape - once you're on the new dual carriageway you have to pay £3 to get out. Possibly the most stupid piece of planning I've ever seen. Is it stupidity or greed? Can't wait for the busy period when it's gridlocked theyve not thought of any other possible exit so one bump, crash or breakdown and nothing will move, including staff / crew. Brilliant!
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"a much better experience than we were expecting"

Verified Review | Having read the reviews here I was expecting the worst for our trip through Luton airport. We arrived at 5 am for a 7.10 flight and followed the signs straight up to the multi-storey car park without any queues. The car park was over half empty and we parked next to the lifts. A short walk along the covered bridge and down in the lift brought us to the terminal building. The paths are a bit uneven but did not cause a problem. As we only had cabin bags we headed straight for security where the wait time was 2 minutes - yes two minutes. After security we pitched up at Pret, got coffee and a pastry and waited for our flight. There were quite a lot of people standing and queuing for tables at the restaurants but there were also a lot of couples taking up tables for 4 and people occupying more than one seat by putting their bags on the other chairs. A bit of consideration would make a big difference. Our flight was called at 6.25am and by 7.00 we were pushing back. All in all a much better experience than we were expecting.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"it is a truly dreadful experience"

In 40 years of travelling around the world the only airports I have ever used that are worse than this have been some of those in Africa. It is a truly dreadful experience that starts with the car park. The short term is little better than a bombsite with mud, rubble, potholes and deep puddles everywhere. For this experience you are expected to pay £7 for 40 mins or £10 per hour. Upmarket is the short stay multi story which boasts a covered walkway to the terminal. That is a lie. The walkway stops 100 metres from the terminal so if its raining you will get soaked, for this pleasure you will pay £8 for 40 mins or £11 per hour. At Heathrow you can park for 30 mins for £3.50 and get to the terminal under cover. Things get much worse in the terminal. Overcrowded, scruffy and dirty sums up the check in area with staff that are rude and unhelpful. After queuing to check in you then head for departures where it takes at least 15 minutes of queuing (due to the large number of passengers being processed) and too few scanners to get through security checks. You have to feel sorry for the staff who work under extreme pressure, and do a good and thorough job, despite having to deal with the constant moans and frustrations of passengers already fed up with queuing to check in. Finally you get through to the 'Departures Lounge'. Thats a misnomer as there is nowhere to lounge. Totally inadequate seating for this appalling small area that is crammed with passengers standing, sitting on the floor, or for the lucky few, sitting on a seat. Signage is dreadfully inadequate with a few video screens giving gate numbers but you need to search for the too small signs indicating the way to gates. Once you know the way to go its a long walk to departure gates then a dash out in the open air, getting wet again in our case, and queuing on the aircraft steps to get in. In future I will drive the extra distance and use the more passenger orientated airports at Stansted, Birmingham or Heatrow
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"unique in it's near total ineptitude"

To compare Luton to any other place would be unfair, it is unique in it's near total ineptitude. The road system is total chaos and changes daily, confused motorists loop endlessly around it trying to work out where to go. The carpark is unpaved in the most part and is too small. The terminal is a building site, cramped and totally focussed on relieving one of cash at every turn. There is no seating yet many more shops and food stalls being installed in yet further efforts to raise cash. Staff are unhelpful at best and as a final insult, passengers are shouted at and herded inside chained areas outside the gates. Overall, abysmal.