Luton Airport

"Step-up Passport control"

Trip Verified | Horrendous queues at passport control (arrivals). Myself plus my two children all traveling with UK passports, I am not married so have a different surname to my children, I was told by the passport control officer that I should have a photocopied birth certificate in each child's passport (where was this mentioned in any part of booking flights??) My name & passport number is linked twice on the childrens passport applications; 1/ on the attached original birth cerificate which has to accompany an application 2/ within their passport application is my passport number. Surely with today's technology this information should be easily accessible. How easy would it be to forge a name onto a photocopied birth certificate? Step-up Passport control if you are serious about eradicating child entrapment!

"going to be chaos"

Not Verified | Who has designed the drop off car park? Arrived 05.30 on a Sunday morning to find a queue back to the roundabout. Two lanes into car park areas. Left for drop off, right for short stay. But someone in there wisdom has decided that the buses leaving station have to cross the left lane into the right lane to get out. Completely blocks up the system. Finally get into the drop off. Everyone trying to unload in the first section, No one goes around the top then drops off on the far side. So drop off zone area only half used, again causing tailbacks. A couple of men in hi viz doing nothing to get thinks moving. On exit the ticket machines unlit, so difficult to pay by card due to lack of light. This area is going to be chaos when the airport gets busier at the start of the summer holidays.

"staff didn't care"

Trip Verified | Looking at reviews now, they are mostly terrible. And I get it. Some people are idiots when they go thru an airport but the majority are normal good people who are nice and the staff at security were rude and appalling in the way they treated people. My mom unfamiliar and very nervous of traveling was asked to take off her shoes and they were taken but she was never told, 15 minutes later and she is still standing with no shoes and no one knows where they are. Swissport staff at gate. Ridiculous and again rude and more interested in chats between themselves than doing anything. Why can Luton airport not address these issues. Being nice or polite doesn't cost anything. Also no seating at gate for elderly parents and again staff didn't care.

"horrific arrival experience"

Not Verified | The most horrific arrival experience. A 3 hour wait at border control with bags misplaced off the conveyors during this time and essentially hidden from passengers with all baggage staff clueless. A disgusting end to a lovely trip. No 20 quid off a flight is ever worth a visitng this dour excuse for an airport again. The passengers taking a small amount of glee mashing the red face review buttons on every corner spoke for itself.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"no leadership or customer service"

Trip Verified | The worst airport I have experienced in the past 8 years. Messy, disorienting, no leadership or customer service available if you need any help, you are left for hours without any updates and basic information. Waited for my bags for over 2 hours and had no one, at least once come up and let us what was a problem. Passport control was another 1.5 hour of waiting. This is place is just a disaster! Avoid as much as possible and travel from other airports if you can.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"Grim experience from start to finish"

Not Verified | Grim experience from start to finish. Midterm parking was lousy, with half the parking lanes locked in off, so once you realised you could not park in a lane you had to reverse into the path of others struggling to park. The security in the terminal are officious and incompetent. I will in the future avoid this rotten airport, that they call it London Luton devalues the other London Airports. This is what happens when the government allows local monopolies.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"There was a completely organised feel"

Trip Verified | My partner and I departed from Luton yesterday, 3/3/2018. There was a completely organised feel around the airport despite the adverse weather. We'll done you guys. Our flight was delayed we took off at 5 instead of 4. We used the hands free service which is a fabulous service. We'll always use this. I'd like to say a big thank you to one of the staff members at bag drop, she was so nice and professional.

"attitude from staff"

Trip Verified | The purpose of writing this review is my recent experience with LTN airport with focus on its staff. I have been using this airport for around a decade now and it has always been poor in terms of facilities, cleanliness, space and sitting available to customers, but I wasn't expecting much from this budget airline oriented facility. Recently my departing flight was delayed by more than half a day, which in itself is not something too bad when you are in a normal airport. But not in here. Here such delay means many hours of anxiety, discomfort, lack of information and on the top of that attitude from staff. There are not enough seats in the main terminal area, so people sit everywhere including floor. Every square inch available has been turned into bars and restaurants and shops, so you have to pay to sit. Of course we couldn't sit in a restaurant for 4 hrs so we went to so called "lounge" to spend remaining time in relative comfort and silence. Upon arrival we were informed the fee is £27 per person and that buys you 3 hours of time at lounge. I was astonished to hear this and that you will be asked to leave once time is up. Believe me this is not something you experience in a lounge at normal airport and certainly not when your flight is delayed by many hours. We decided not to take on this ridiculous offer and made our way to the far end of the terminal where we found some free seats. After around two hours airline informed us about a further delay and at this point we decided to speak to their staff about rebooking the flight to an alternative destination. To do this we needed to leave the security area and that's when problems started. We approached a Luton staff member at departure gate 16 to let us out due to increasing delay of our flight. She responded that the flight was not delayed further and we needed to sit down. We showed her information on the airline website saying otherwise, but she wouldn't listen and said we "need to have good reason to leave the secure area and that she needs to call someone from security to take us outside". I suggested her to start making calls then and that is not up to her to decide if we have a good reason or not. She then said we won't get any refunds and that we need to sit down and wait, because security needs to take us outside. Other passengers joined us in demands to let us out so we could speak to the airline about refunds and rebooking options and she turned very nasty and defensive saying we won't go anywhere. I then pointed out she has no right to keep us here aginst our will and that we can decide not to fly for any reason and if she will refuse to call security to escort us out, I will call the Police. Only after this exchange of pleasantries, she started to collect our boarding passes, took ours and tore them up saying we disembarked from the flight. Then she announced that she will take us back through security and immigration on the contrary to what we were told about security coming to take us out. Instead of saying something sooner, she caused all this anger and frustration to already stressed and anxious passangers. This is unacceptable especially when coming form a member of staff who should be supportive as a minimum. Keep in mind my review if you book a flight departing from this airport and decide for yourselves if it's worth to save few pounds and for exchange experience this airport and its staff.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"forced to queue for well over 40 minutes"

Not Verified | On arriving from Faro we were forced to queue for well over 40 minutes to get to immigration control. They seemed not have enough staff on duty. Considering our experience in Faro airport at Luton seemed like being in a third world country. As an advert for travellers to the UK it was appalling. Bags were also wet when we eventually got to collect them.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"the worst airport I have been to"

Trip Verified | This is by far the worst airport I have been to over the last years in western Europe. The terminal is too small for such a high volume of passengers, security control is a disgrace with rude and incompetent staff that give you orders like headmasters or nuns to children in boarding schools. Once you are in the gate areas you feel like either in a hospital or a school. Looks like anything but an airport. After planes land, it can take up to 30 minutes until aircraft stairs are available to deboard the planes. Same for buses between terminal and aircraft. Last night my Easyjet flight arrived after midnight, we had to wait for further 30 minutes on the plane to deboard because there was no stairs and no bus available.