Vote Now

Luton Airport

"airport looks very tired"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Luton airport is one of the worst I have been to. The airport looks very tired. The walking way from the gate to the customs was very long. There was no electric walkway on the way. It was crowded. The lighting was dark. It does not seem to be clean either. I did not try the toilet either. The two sides of the road was dirty and full of dirt. The queuing time was not long, only around 15-20 minutes although there were only 2 people working at the customs to do the checking. I believe the queue would be much longer in other times. I was just lucky that time.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"airport was dirty and crowded"

Verified Review | Truly awful experience this morning being herded through this airport - the only things missing were cattle prods. The staff were rude, shouting at everyone, the whole airport was dirty and crowded. The only redeeming feature were the lovely staff at Pret A Manger.
Date VisitApril 2017

"complete contempt for its passengers"

Luton Airport is the worst ever. Don't use it. Access via the M25 and M1 is a disaster. Collected relatives at arrivals on 30 March and returned them for departure on 4 April by Ryanair to Lithuania. Unlike civilised airports like Gatwick and Heathrow, Luton charges a fee to drop off passengers to an unmade, and unmarked gravel patch outside the poorly marked terminal building. Luton airport shows complete contempt for its passengers which it treats like cattle.
Date VisitApril 2017

"airport is a complete embarrassment"

Verified Review | After reading first couple of reviews I absolutely agree with them. This airport is a complete embarrassment to visitors. I use it 5 times a year only because it's near to where I live. Every time I arrive here it's always work in progress and like a dump! I find it dirty and horrible. Its cramped with hardly any seating and some (not all) staff are miserable! Well I'm not surprised, I would be if I had to work there. The only big improvement is the check-in area. As for outside, its like an obstacle course. Parking is a mess and could not be much further than the terminal - horrible when it rains.

"experience very uncomfortable"

We chose to fly to Budapest from Luton airport because of the more convenient flight times. We had booked into a nearby hotel for the Sunday night and parked our car on Sunday in the medium term car park. We had been sent several emails about the delays because of the building, but were unprepared for the reality. We dread to think what it is like at peak times and holidays. Pedestrian access is almost non-existent and we were forced to take a very difficult route back to the Hampton by Holiday Inn. On Monday morning we booked a taxi and arrived to check-in. That was smooth enough. Our flight was delayed two hours because of fog and we waited that length of time on the plane. I have to say that was probably more comfortable than being in the airport. As many people have commented, there seems to be absolutely nowhere proper to sit once you are through passport control. The return through security was also very tedious, and even with e-passports it took some time. The whole experience was very uncomfortable. We will never choose to fly from this airport again. We would sooner have awkward flying times than put up with such conditions.
Date VisitApril 2017

"a badly planned and managed place"

The whole experience at Luton Airport was awful. Whoever runs it should be embarrassed to deliver such a terrible experience and ashamed to be associated with this shambles. I know it is a building site but no attempt is made to make life better for passengers. Signage bad, over crowded, not enough seating in departures and none at all at the gate, air con not adequate. Staff have a couldn't care less attitude - probably worn down by having to work in such a badly planned and managed place. We traveled as a couple but felt so sorry for families struggling when 2 or 3 planes come in together and 100's of people are funneled into narrow corridors causing endless queues and the shambles of Passport Control. There is a sign saying "extra security is in place - sorry for the delay" ie "it's not my fault" and this is just an excuse for bad planning and bad management. The whole management team should be forced to experience this every day. Most people chose a destination and this determines the departure airport but if you have any choice - do not go via Luton Airport. Incoming visitors must wonder what they have let themselves in for in the UK.
Date VisitApril 2017

"a complete shambles at peak times"

Verified Review | It is hard to determine what the senior management at Luton Airport see as their next career move – to run a shopping mall or perhaps they have bought shares in some “Staycation” company. They certainly appear to have no aptitude or interest in running an airport or providing a service to travellers. Admittedly they trot out the excuse that the airport is being redeveloped but that is no reason to treat today's passengers so badly. Their priority was obviously to get the shopping areas completed first then anything to do with passenger convenience or comfort was ignored. Parking at the airport, check-in/bag-drops, passport control and security are all a complete shambles at peak times. When you have undergone all those queues you will find nowhere to sit while you wait for your flight – but cheer up plenty of opportunity to shop. Luton is far and away the worse of the “London” airports. Although we only live 30 mins from the airport we shall fly from Heathrow or Gatwick in the future.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"struggled to find any signs or directions"

Verified Review | I appreciate that the current works at the airport will inconvenience people to some extent but the situation at the short term car park just gets worse every visit. I parked yesterday and struggled to find any signs or directions to the terminal. Eventually I found small gaps in the temporary fencing to cross the road. On my return I could find no way to the car park. All previous entrances were fenced off. I wasn't alone, there were 4 of us in just the time I was there. I had to climb the railing from the drop off zone with a suitcase, cross the busy car park entrance and climb a further railing to get to my car. This is not the first time - its nearly every time I travel and it gets worse. There appears to be no consideration whatsoever in terms of health and safety for car park users

"little or no seating"

If anything disabuses you of the notion that there is still romance left in air travel, it is Luton airport. Crowded, little or no seating, bottlenecks throughout the buildings, poor transfer to car parks, approach roads in poor state of repair. Whoever is running this place should be sacked.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"put me off using this airport"

I was only dropping my son off and hadn't realised that I had to pay anything. Luckily I found some change in the car. This has put me off using this airport. I certainly would not recommend anyone anyone using this airport. At least Heathrow you can drop off with no charge.