Top 100 Airports

Incheon Airport

"used to be a very good airport"

(South Korea)

ICN used to be a very good airport. I'm not sure it was really better than the rivals but nevertheless it did, and still does, a lot right that other airports don't do so well. But on my recent visits (and my location means I have to use ICN a lot) I'm experiencing serious flaws again and again. On departure, the main problem is if your flight leaves late in the evening or at night. There's simply hardly anything open at this time, which is unforgivable considering that there are several flights with hundreds of passengers on them, scheduled to depart at this time of day. I recently travelled on a Qatar flight just after midnight (with over 200 other passengers) and simply wanted to get some water for my young son and I to have for our long journey. There are several shops/counters near our departure gate in the main terminal (Qatar & Emirates now seem to be in the main terminal not the satellite) but they have all long since closed. There is one noodle cafe which has chairs blocking the entrance, but with someone behind the counter. However, she refuses to serve any of the several waiting passengers asking for things (mostly water, like us). I actually asked her in Korean what the problem was and was told that she could not put any transactions through the till outside of the shop's official opening times - and it had closed at 10pm. I asked at the one information counter I could find that was still staffed (about 5 mins walk from our gate) and was told, in a very apologetic tone by a young staff member clearly embarrassed to have to tell me this, that the only place I could buy any refreshments at all from was the Lotteria fast food counter by gate 10 - the far opposite end of the terminal to our gate. I know ICN well and, with a tired toddler in my care, that would have been a 20-25 minute walk there and back to our gate. And of course, if that was the only place open, who knows how long we might have had to wait to be served? So, with just 30 minutes left to our boarding time, I gave up. I'm appalled by this - for an international airport of some size this is completely inexcusable. Incheon Airport has spent a lot of money publicising its self-styled World Best Airport status. I'm sure just a fraction of that could have been used to provide even basic refreshment services within a reasonable distance of passengers travelling at night. As I live in Korea, ICN is often one of my few options but in future I'll be doing what I can to avoid it.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"good food choices, good pricing"

Incheon is a clean airport. Very clean rest rooms. Good food choices and good pricing - a little cheaper than an average US airport. Duty free is too expensive and a rip off - there are cheaper street prices in the US. Distance between gates is not horrendous and good clear signs. Comfortable seating areas near eateries.
Date VisitJune 2016

"immigration wait was 2 hours"

(Japan)

Immigration wait at Incheon airport was 2 hours - a joke. The immigration process in modern age is a joke as all passport details available before arrival. Is Korea innovative? No. The immigration here is old fashioned, boring and inefficient - hopeless
Date VisitJune 2016

"a very pleasant experience"

I've been to many different airports but there is no airport like Incheon. It's more than just an airport experience. Even just a step outside of the airport, there are plenty of public transit options to choose from. I hate having to rent a car and drive around when I travel, so I love that I do not need to rent a car here. The airport is clean and well maintained. They have a sauna (Spa) on the ground level so I always go to the airport early and relax before departure. Just a very pleasant experience.
Date VisitJune 2015

"queues just unacceptable"

(South Korea)

I use Incheon airport several times per year but my last experience was just terrible. It took about 1 hour to pass passport control. The queues were just unacceptable and staff did not care about it at all. Also it was so hot inside. The airport is clean as always, but it really needs some improvements with queuing.
Date VisitMay 2016

"I will avoid Incheon"

(Philippines)

I have spent the past four years using Incheon Airport and the immigration queues on my past three trips have been appalling. Consistent waiting times of more than an hour to enter the country. Given that everything else about this airport is world class, this recent development is out of character. Unless I have a pressing need I will be avoiding Incheon from now on, as I cannot schedule my time efficiently.
Date VisitApril 2016

"overshadowed by huge lines"

(South Korea)

Normally Incheon is what a great airport experience should be. Great facilities, friendly staff and quick in and out. Recently massive lines at security screening and immigration make the experience quite unpleasant. Ability to use in town check in Seoul is a great feature that speeds up departures. Check out the sauna in the basement on departure. Great wifi and facilities like free showers, museum and shopping are sadly overshadowed by huge lines on departure and arrival.
Date VisitApril 2016

"have always had to wait"

(South Korea)

With departures, Incheon airport is one of the better airports in the world. Plenty of shops, restaurants, and activities to keep yourself busy while you are waiting for a flight. However with arrivals, the experience has consistently been very tiring and a poor experience. Since it is a fairly high traffic airport, one would expect Incheon to be prepared to handle the large influx of people coming through, but every time I have been here, whether in the early morning, midday or late at night, I have always had to wait 1+ hour to get past immigration. This has been getting worse and worse. I am currently 40 minutes in the line and I'm almost halfway through the line.
Date VisitApril 2016

"wait of 1.5h for customs"

(Hong Kong)

The service at Incheon Airport is not modern or near the best in Asia. I waited for about 1.5 hrs for customs on arrival. For departure, the procedure for tax refund is complicated and again, I waited for 1.5 hrs for customs. At 6:30 pm this appears to be a peak time and I don't know why there are only 6 counters open serve so many people. I do the tax refund after the custom again - very inconvenient . In the end I have no time to have dinner or do some shopping. The air conditioning is poor inside customs.

"2 hours at immigration"

I use Incheon airport about 6 times a year and they never seem to properly greet their guests upon arrival. I spent 2 hours at immigration with about 300 other people. If I didn't live here I would never want to come back. They give a poor impression of hospitality immediately upon arrival. I do not understand why their Korean national lines remain empty they do not open them up to relieve congestion for the foreigners. I am now sitting on the floor because I have been standing for so long.