Havana Airport

"not an airport I would recommend"

Trip Verified | Upon arriving at Jose Marti, the passport control queues were fairly short but the baggage claim area was awful- no air conditioning and hundreds of passengers in a very small area. You couldn't see your bag on the carousel and had to ask others to pass the bag to you. The arrivals hall is very busy and that creates a slightly uncomfortable atmosphere though there are lots of police officers around the ATMs. Getting a taxi is very easy. On departure, everything in the airport moves at a very slow pace- passport control had quite long queues and I was fortunate in that I was able to go through the premium desk. There is one VERY small cafe in the departure lounge that serves ham and cheese sandwiches, ice cream and soft beverages- bring something with you! There is very limited seating so try and find a spot quickly. If you have any CUC left over, you can buy some cigars and rum but be prepared to wait FOREVER in the queue. The gates are extremely close together so my flight to London was next to KLM's flight to Amsterdam in a very tight corner- they need to make more space in the terminal. Overall, it's not an airport I would recommend but I would go through it again out of necessity.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"looked like some kind of a warehouse"

Trip Verified | We had a stopover in Havana coming back to London from the Bahamas. When we landed in Havanas we simply could not believe what we saw. The airport itself looked like some kind of a warehouse. Inside the airport was very dark that made you feel very uncomfortable. The immigration officers were very unpleasant. At customs, you simply did not know what to do. There was no information available how to navigate and where to go next. Outside the airport was even worse. it felt like we went back in time to 1960. There was no information how to catch the connecting flight. We only learned from the taxi driver that the international departure terminal was 5 miles away. When we arrived there things were not much better. There no any bars or restaurants, no space to seat, no information desk. The departure lounge had one so called fast food counter serving burned soggy chips, undercooked burger and that's it. Overall it was an amazing experience for all the bad reasons.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"Terrible airport"

Verified Review | The lady at the counter gave me and my husband the exact same boarding pass. We realized only after standing in line for at least 30 minutes before passport control. So my husband had to go back and change his boarding pass. Turned out to be that they hadn't checked him in. The careless officer at passport control put a stamp on my boarding pass and this into my passport, so the stamp stained my U.S. visa! They chose me for a randomized control and took forever to check my luggage, I have never seen a person unzip a bag so slowly. No A.C. past security clearance. Only one bar serving food (3 sandwiches to choose from). Terrible airport.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"grossly inadequate air conditioning"

After 40 years of travel, departing from Havana International Airport was my worst ever airport experience. The arrivals hall has only 2 female toilets for 100s of arrivals. The departure area has insufficient seats and grossly inadequate air conditioning. All the planes left late by at least an hour with no attempt to hurry things up. Our plane was 2 hours late leaving, which was of no concern to any airline staff. The departure gate was changed to B15 which is basically an unconditioned dungeon, with about 200 people stuffed into a small standing room only torture chamber and kept waiting there for 45 minutes with sweat pouring down faces.
Date VisitMay 2017

"toilets are the worst I've seen"

Verified Review | On arrival on 30th March there was no water in the washrooms to wash hands after using the toilets. On departure on 13th April there was no water in airport at all. I tried toilets in halls A and B and upstairs and none of them were flushing. The stench was making everyone feel sick as no lids on toilet seats. I had no choice but to use one toilet that was three quarters full. No water again to wash hands. We'd had a 2 hour journey up from Vandero and intended to get something to eat before we got on flight. As staff were using same toilets and unable to wash their hands too I ate a Twix and had a bottle of water. Wasn't prepared to eat anything that wasn't covered up. Will never travel to this airport again. I work hard to pay for my holidays and will only spend money in places that have decent "facilities". Terminal was clean but toilets are the worst I've seen in any country and I've been travelling for 40 years. Not much to buy airside so didn't bother.
Date VisitApril 2017

"I was actually pleasantly surprised by the Havana airport"

Verified Review | Not sure what people were expecting - but as a somewhat frequent traveler of airports in less developed parts of the world, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the Havana airport. Immigration was fast (as others mentioned). Our baggage arrived very quickly, while I saw other baggage claims surrounded by crowds and crowds of people. This makes me suspect it is an airline specific issue. We flew with Spirit, if that makes a difference. I had no issues with getting money (using the ATM), and was not at all harassed getting to the taxi line + into a clean, convenient cab. The arrivals lobby was a little cluttered but much, much better than many other developing nation airports I've traveled through in Central America / Asia.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"not a great introduction to Cuba"

On entering we got through immigration in about 5 minutes although we were some of the first ones off the plane. We then spent over an hour waiting for our bags to be delivered. We were lucky our bags were delivered quite early on when we left there was still about 200 people waiting for their bags and at the delivery rate of about 1 a minute some of them would clearly have a long wait. Not a great introduction to Cuba. Once through the baggage reclaim there is a small arrivals hall which is best described as chaotic. Leaving Cuba this airport we checked in quickly as we were travelling business class but there was a long queue for economy. We got through security reasonably quickly - could have been quicker if they'd used the other two gates that were manned but not being used. We arrived in the lounge not expecting much and we weren't disappointed.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"moving around a hot airport is just so unbearable"

(Bolivia)

Verified Review | Well this airport is definitely not ready for the changes that are coming to Cuba, starting with a/c system, if you have been to Cuba you will know its hot and moving around a hot airport is just so unbearable. There are no auto check-in computers so lines are very very long, immigrations is not bad at all, they are fast and don't take very long. The problem is the security checks, since many airlines are entering Cuba if you are unlucky you might be stuck for at least 1 hour so go early. Plus side is that if you forgot to buy souvenirs or tobacco you can find them in many shops in the airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"a very hot confined space"

After arrival getting through customs takes forever with people being prioritised and pushed in front of certain queues slowing things down further. Once through your hand luggage is placed through a scanner again - Why? You might expect your cases to be ready after all this time, but no - expect at least another hour in a very hot confined space. Surely returning would be better. The luggage belt at check in was broken causing delays. My husband queued to change our money back to sterling while I queued in the never ending queue to get through passport control. They didn't have any sterling so he was told to try again in the departure lounge. There was the same situation going through passport control, with people getting pushed ahead of certain lines, nearly causing a riot. Once through my husband tried to change our currency again while I tried to get some food and water. Working in an airport café might not be the most interesting job in the world, but the miserable, rude service and poor quality food I received was appalling. We still couldn't get sterling and had to opt for Euros. I don't think I will return to Cuba any time soon. Also there was no water in the men's toilet to wash hands
Date VisitMarch 2016

"arrival areas are dismal looking"

We arrived from an international flight and a domestic flight and had a departure at Jose Martí Airport in Havana. All our experiences were not very good. If you are in a hurry, forget it. For arriving passengers, it takes well over an hour to get your bags. The arrival areas are dismal looking with no seating. For departures the terminal is better looking than for arrivals, however the notices for check-in are unclear to non-existent. Don't bother to ask anyone for information, as they don't know.
Date VisitMarch 2016