Top 100 Airlines

Hamad Doha Airport

"lack of screens showing departure gates"

(Belgium)

The airport is huge, very modern, very clean, but also very empty. Looks like it could easily handle 3-4x the current traffic, which is almost exclusively Qatar Airways. Gave an eerie empty feeling even while I used it at Qatar Airways peak time of departures. There is a monorail but it looked like it is still in testing phase. Which would make a big differenece as the walks now are very long, with gates spread over three large "legs" of the airport which groundplan looks like a tripod. Worse however is the lack of screens showing departure gates, and those that are installed are not user friendly at all, difficult to find one's flight on the screens. Business Class lounges are tough to find, and the lounges are not easy to navigate, with the restaurant badly signed and at a different level from the mian area of the lounge.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"there is so little to do"

This was my first time transiting the new Doha Airport Hamad, for such a large airport there is so little to do. I travel quite extensively and in terms of a newer airport this is genuinely one of the most boring I have visited. Just a few cafes and food places which were all relatively uninspiring and lots of shops selling expensive designer clothing, oh and a very large slightly sad looking teddy bear.

"airport was a let-down"

The airport has all the predictable shops and services expected in a big modern airport. We arrived at around 3 am and no air-bridge. We had to walk down stairs to a bus to get into the terminal. We had a great deal of trouble finding the Qatar Airways business class lounge, more signs are needed and we felt that the aircon throughout the terminal wasn't quite up to the task - it was still a bit muggy throughout. On the bright side, the showers in the business lounge are excellent. After a first-rate 13-hour flight with Qatar Airways, the airport was a let-down.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"airport is clearly efficient"

I transited through Doha 3 times this month and in all cases it went smoothly. The connections were usually less than 2 hours and I was anxious given the large numbers of people hurrying through the corridors to catch their flights that flights would be missed. My fears were unfounded. At the departure gate there were not enough seats and quite a few people sat on the floor. There were computer screens and keyboards built into the walls on which one could surf the net. The wi-fi, though free, was slow and broke up frequently - which was a surprise. The bathroom was tidy enough with attendants on hand. The color scheme - dark brown - inside the terminal made it look gloomy. Gate signs were easy to figure out though the display boards had so many flights listed that it took took to figure out which gate your flight would depart from. The security check area looked frenzied but it went off without any problems. On one segment, the arrival and departure was from an off-terminal site. A comfortable airconditioned bus ferried us but on stepping out, the heat completely fogged my glasses, rendering me virtually blind and immobile. The airport is clearly efficient but its size and crowds often caused me to be edgy.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"40m queue at passport control"

40 minute queue at passport control to leave the country in Doha airport. Similar to arrive. We're herded like cattle, some have arrived after a very long flight with children. It is midnight. They just don't have the desks open to deal with the passengers.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"horrible, disorganized security check"

(Indonesia)

Doha airport is very modern and offers a large number of restaurants and duty free shopping, signs at the airport are also clearly mark, however the WiFi is not stable as you compare with airports like Singapore Changi, KLIA, Hong Kong. Our transit experience is the worst i've had - we arrived from Copenhagen and connecting to Jakarta. Even though our plane from CPH parked next to our plane to Jakarta, due to the design of the airport, we have to go all the way to the transfers area with horrible, long, and disorganized security check, the airport staff seemed disinterested with their job and they are also very rude. To make things worst our transit time is only an hour, trolleys are very limited. I prefer connecting through Singapore, KLIA or Hong Kong even though Qatar Airways is amazing.

"felt like a mega mall"

I transited at Doha airport on 22 July 2016 and again on 30 July 2016. First impressions were that the gate where we arrived from the plane was a little aged and tired. There were restrooms readily available which is important for weary travelers. The toilets in the main "atrium" area were little harder to find. Free wifi is available although it may be a little unstable at times. The main "atrium" or duty free area was quite impressive with a giant teddy bear sculpture in the middle and shops of all kinds all around. It felt like a mega mall with shoppers going in all directions. This feels like the main thoroughfare or the "heart" of the airport where everyone goes to in order to reach their respective departure gates. The airport lounges are also situated in this area in the floor above. I would suggest making your way to the gates well ahead of time especially if the gate number is a higher number which signify that the gate is a distance away. On my last flight, I departed from Gate C27 which is the last third gate for that area. We had to walk very briskly and used the travelators to get us from the arrival gate to the departure gate in time for a 45 mins transit.

"worst transit experience"

I was transiting at Hamad Int'l Airport for a connecting flight heading to Singapore from Copenhagen when I encountered my worst transit experience. My wife and I had to walk a very long distance (depsite having travellators) from the arrival gate to the transfer lounge. I was carrying a hand carry bag and there were no small trolleys in sight all the way to the transit area. To my surprise, we had to go through another security bag check and it was not only for my connecting flight. Every passenger that just landed (and had a connecting flight) had to go through the bag check area. The queue was very long and had to wait for quite a while. As if this was the last of my ordeal. When we were at the boarding gate, the connecting flight was not at the aerobridge. We had to board a bus to ferry us to the stairs up to the plane under the immense heat in Qatar. This is not an over-the-top airport.

"lacking many basics"

The airport is of course top of the line simply because they have the funds to do so. However this airport is lacking many basics for international travelers. The biggest minus in this airport is the immigration officers, they are very under trained, unprofessional and rude towards any foreigners. You may spend up to an hour at immigration simply because they are not organised, talk on their personal phones all through the process and again very arrogant. They are in need of training and change of behaviour if they wish to continue progressing.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"great airport, great facilities"

Doha Hamad is a great airport, great facilities (including play areas for kids), with plenty of eating options. By far the best parts are the free wifi and seating, including quiet zones with lounge chairs. However, everyday necessities like water, snacks etc are a bit on the pricier side.