Corfu Airport

"not a great start to my holiday"

Not Verified | Arrived at Corfu from Leeds/Bradford in the morning. Extremely long queue, only one person checking passports, not a great start to my holiday. Flying back to Manchester at 23:45 PM a week later, again very long queues and shortage of staff. The airport is very hot and stuffy, they really need better air conditioning, not much in the way of retail outlets air side. Corfu is a beautiful island but let down badly by this poor airport.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"two hours standing in queues"

Trip Verified | For a midnight departure we got to the airport about 21:30. The airline check-in desk did not open until 22:00. We had one bag to check in but were told our carry-on bags had to be checked in too. After tagging at the desk we joined a queue to put the bags onto the conveyor belt. This queue ran in parallel to another the full length of the check-in hall. It was one or two people wide. At the end two employees supervised a single deposit point onto the conveyor belt. Then we were sent back to join the parallel queue. This also ran the full length of the check-in hall and continued down a hallway signposted as departures. It was about three people wide. It hardly moved. After some time an employee made us form a four people wide queue so that it could be shortened and others could join the end of it without wrapping back into the hall. After an hour or so there were a couple of surges of movement. Don't know why. When we finally reached the security checkpoint there were two bag scanning lines and a single arch for the passengers. The airport had other lines standing idle. We made it to the plane at midnight having spent two hours standing in queues. Obviously this was after the scheduled boarding time, and while in the queue there was a concern that the plane could be missed (except that we all seemed to be in the same position). The Boarding Pass states "Travel will be refused if you arrive late at the gate". I suspect that the airline takes no responsibility for an inefficient airport. This airport has numerous flights leaving late at night. It is not unusual for them.

"went very smoothly"

Not Verified | After reading so many horrendous reviews on here I was dreading going through this airport. However, both arrival and departure went very smoothly. We arrived 11.15 on 22 June - bus to terminal & passport control was speedy. 2 baggage carousels clearly display fights and we didn’t wait long. We were on a Tui cruise and getting from airport to cruise check-in was very efficient, lots of Tui reps. Departure - Tui had desks 9-16 and check-in was quicker than our home airport (Aberdeen)! There was only a small queue to place luggage on the conveyor/scanning belt. Our flight was delayed from 22.25 until 01.10 so we opted not to go through security until 1hour before flying. There is an outside seating area & cafe - beware if you like ouzo, do not buy it at the cafe where it is 4.90 euros for a miniature. Turn right inside terminal you get 0.2 litre for 4.70 euros which you can drink outside. The only downside to outside is we came home with a few mosquito bites so some repellant would be a good idea if you have an evening flight. There is also seating inside which was a very comfortable temperature thanks to efficient AC. The toilets are beautiful and new being constantly cleaned. We sat and watched the security lines which were busy at times but moved quickly. When we went through it was empty. I can’t comment on the departure hall because we left it late to go through so found ourselves in the line for boarding. We saw lots of coaches where people had obviously been on a Tui holiday in Corfu. It looks like Tui have half the departure desks. There are lots of Tui reps at the airport and we were kept well informed both outside and inside regarding our delayed flight. The reps were friendly and approachable.
Date VisitJune 2018

"not a bit of organization"

Not Verified | The worst airport I have ever been to. Overcrowded and there was not even a bit of organization or people to look after passengers. No signs to show you where to go, what line to check in and security check people were the rudest I have ever spoken to! After a nice holiday this will ruin all your time spent in Greece. I was queing to the security check for 2.5hrs with my kids in my arms. Thousands passengers and only 2 gates open. The airport and those staff are a joke.
Date VisitJune 2018

"ample seating prior to security"

Trip Verified | My wife and I have used this airport for the past 23 years, sometimes twice a year. We arrived today to fly home from holiday and allowed an extra hour to the usual two hours in view of recent reviews and it being a busy Monday - flight at 1415. Our experience was the best ever at this airport, no queue to check in, no queue to scan bags and about 10 minutes in a fast moving multi lane security process. Our impression is that moving the security line from the main hall is a big improvement. Still the same crush once through security in the departure lounge but you can judge how soon you need to go through. Clean facilities, ample seating prior to security.

"just not enough room"

(Tuvalu)

Not Verified | Arrival. Baggage handlers took a break half way through unloading our plane - 45 min wait. Departure. Check in and bag drop utter chaos. Lord knows what it will be like in peak season. Inside there is just not enough room. No available seating for most. No bar. Overpriced food and drink. It was however clean and the staff were nice enough. Overall a poor way to end the holiday.
Date VisitJune 2018

"2 hrs to get through the system"

Trip Verified | Corfu Airport is indeed chaotic, overcrowded even in June, poorly organized etc, but to be fair, unlike some other Greek airports I have visited, the toilets are new and clean, with the ubiquitous bin for WC paper. The aircon works, the flatscreen monitors work, the announcements are more or less understandable. Outside is a shaded seating area with a bar for those whose flights have yet to be called. However I dread to think what it must be like at the hight of the holiday season! It took me 2 hrs to get through the system.

"The" worst airport ever

Trip Verified | No organisation at all queuing outside in scorching sun last thing you want after relaxing holiday. Having to take your suitcase to be screened after booking in at desk bizarre to say the least, then nowhere to sit. Then taken outside after waiting to board your plane in the scorching sun 30 minutes. The worst airport ever. Last time going to Corfu lovely breathtaking scenery but ruined by a third world airport! What have they done with the tourists money? Spent on jobs for the boys government !
Date VisitJune 2018

"easily the worst airport experience"

Not Verified | Corfu Airport is easily the worst airport experience that I have ever had and I have used over seventy airports around the world over the last thirty years. I had already booked-in online yesterday to depart Corfu for Bristol and I arrived early for my flight but I had to queue to register my luggage, then I had to queue with several hundred others in a long line snaking around the terminal to check in my luggage, then I had to queue for security to x-ray my luggage and to drop it off. Then I had to queue for security. At this point, my flight was being called and we were expedited to another queue for the departure gate. All-in-all I, and several hundred other passengers, resigned but remarkably good-natured considering the dreadful quality of service queued for three hours before we were whisked through the departure gate. The facility was completely overwhelmed. There were departure desks that were unmanned but could have been helping the through-flow. The luggage should have been dropped off and x-rayed at the check-in desk as is normal at other airports. It is completely unacceptable that any paying customers should be treated in this way, let alone the elderly and the families with children. For this reason, I shall never visit Corfu by air ever again. Are the good people of Corfu's hotels and villa owners aware of just how badly this third-world airport will impact on their futures?
Date VisitMay 2018

"Inadequate seating"

Unverified | Inadequate seating even outside peak season with many elderly passengers formed to stand. Dirty departure area and long queues for female toilets. Flight information late and inadequate. Very few staff around. Getting through security was quick and one can park right outside the terminal, with even unattended cars lining the kerb.
Date VisitSeptember 2017