Vote Airport

Chiang Mai Airport

"small but user friendly airport"

(Hong Kong)

This review concerns international arrivals not domestic. It's a fairly small but user friendly airport. However, the smoothness and ease of your arrival is hugely dependant on your arrival time. My flight which arrived at about 7pm had me joining a fairly long queue of passengers from 2 other flights. For years, Thailand still hasn't improved it's arrival procedures regardless of which airport you arrived at. Each passenger took a few good minutes to process. This time the waiting time was nearly 45 minutes. On a positive note, my luggage was on the carousel waiting for me. Unless you've arranged transportation. Transfer to the hotel via taxi can be tricky as it's not easy to find. The staffs that manned6the arrival hall exit liked to steer passengers to use their slightly overpriced van. Despair not. The meter taxi is actually on the domestic arrival side. That's the far left end of the airport as you exit. Sometimes you may find a tuk tuk and can haggle a bit to get to your accommodation at an acceptable rate. This only work if you have little luggage.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"Chiang Mai Airport is small, manageable and easy to use"

(Slovenia)

Chiang Mai Airport is small, manageable and easy to use. At the arrival hall you exit directly into the street with many taxi drivers - I recommend you go further and catch one driver at the parking lot and negotiate. At the arrival hall the prices are much higher then later. At the arrival hall you have also a lot of ATM machines. Departures are also very easy to use (we had domestic flight). On the ground floor you have check ins and before you go through security, you have departure hall with many shops and restaurants. After the security gates there is seating area, but since this airport is very busy, there is not enough seating usually. If you travel with children, some airline companies have a priority boarding for families with children - that is very useful and I am grateful for every airline company that does that - not all do.
Date VisitApril 2015

Chiang Mai Airport customer review

On arrival passport control was a little slow processing everyone despite our being the only international flight in at the time (A320). That said they have a job to do and I have certainly experienced much slower elsewhere. Some of our bags were already waiting by the time we reached the belt. Overall a fairly painless arrival and out of the building within 35 minutes from arrival. Departure was a pleasure. Security check and bag X-Ray as you enter the terminal. No queues at check-in. Outbound passport processing very quick. Once large departure lounge covering all international gates but it had lots of seats and a pleasant outlook over the runway. Adequate range of retail and food outlets in the waiting area. Very happy with this airport and the experience.

Chiang Mai Airport customer review

I find that the airport has made significant improvements and seems to have more traffic. There is hardly any waiting at check-in or for screening. An excellent regional airport with decent food outlets and reasonable prices. It is not overly cluttered with shops and stalls. This is my favourite regional airport.

Chiang Mai Airport customer review

It is almost a joy to fly into this airport and avoid the chaos that is Bangkok. Have arrived on Air Asia non- stop flight from KL several times over past few months and I've only been unlucky once. Departing is even quicker. A big thumbs up to whoever brought in the CIQ system when transiting BKK so you can clear immigration in CNX rather than in BKK.

Chiang Mai Airport customer review

This is an efficient medium-sized international gateway which I think is greatly under-utilized. AOT has done a lot in recent years to upgrade the airport with the construction of the terminal extension now used by international passenger traffic. The prices charged at food outlets here are very reasonable.

Chiang Mai Airport customer review

Excellent regional airport nicely split within the same terminal between International and Domestic (I used the latter). Spacious and efficient check-in on Air Asia. Plenty of places for a snack or drink. Low key and efficient security. Good signs screens and flight announcements and adequate seating at the gates.

(Thailand)

My local airport. My comments are directed not so much at airport administrators but at King Power who run the duty free shop at CNX. They have an outlet in the arrivals hall. Despite the fact that there are only two daily nonstop flights from KL and Singapore KP deem it too late to offer a service late at night when the Air Asia flight from Singapore arrives at 2300. If you are not going to offer goods for pax on these services one has to wonder why they bother to have an outlet there in the first place? But customer service has never been a strong point with KP. I can only assume that pax off the late night flights from Incheon and Taipei suffer the same fate. Welcome to Thailand. Not a great first impression.

Chiang Mai Airport customer review

A facility not many people will no about but worth knowing if the need arises. I had a minor motorcycle accident en rotue to the aiport recently which left my am bloodied and dirty. After checkin I noticed a 'first aid centre' signposted on the first floor of the international departures terminal. I duly found it and the room is staffed with a qualified nurse. She cleaned and dressed the wound and sent me on my way. I had to sign a register to show that I had attended the facility and I was expecting a small charge which I would have happily paid. The cost - nothing?

Chiang Mai Airport customer review

The new look airport is now complete with clear distinction between domestic and international flights. I use this airport several times a month and the improvements were carried out with almost no inconvenience to passengers. It has to be one of the best regional airports around!