Bucharest Otopeni Airport

Review by (Romania) 26th June 2015

Improvement in cleanliness and staff. Smooth process for drop-off, security, frontier and boarding, fast baggage on belt at return. Smokers friendly airport. The food/ drinks in restaurants are expensive for Romanian standards, at least.
Date Visit26-06-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (United Kingdom) 15th June 2015

Nearly missed my plane, in spite of arriving at airport in good time. One of two Security Gates has to be chosen according to designated Departure Gate, but latter is not shown on screen in Departures Hall. Security itself was chaotic. I was ordered into a queue which took more than twenty-five minutes just to reach the scanning equipment (one man was observing two scanners at once). After my laptop was scanned, I was told to start it up and then turn it off, meaning even more time was lost. Passport control was slow: in total it took more than thirty-five minutes between entering security and entering the departure lounge, by which time my flight was closing.
Date Visit13-06-2015
Facilities N/A
Wifi Connectivity N/A

Review by (Netherlands) 13th May 2015

We transferred from a TAROM flight to KLM and our experience was smooth. The facilities airside are two folded the last part of the pier with our boarding gate (12) was looking nice and modern the first part looked bit shabby and worn down seen the economic reality in Romania it was high standard. I can't make any statement about the landside but the transfer security was lacking proper English skills and it was hard to communicate and get what they wanted which gives you the impression that these people are rude. In fact they aren't if you look into their body language as well.

Review by (United States) 27th April 2015

The worst airport I have been to. Early morning flight and airport was very busy. Several kiosks were not working and only one person there to help. She was very rude and not trying to help. Everyone kept telling us to go to someone else for help with boarding pass but could never talk to anyone. No one seemed to care that a large group of us were having a problem getting boarding passes. Lines for security were chaos. No one directing people and everyone just pushing in together. Terrible experience.
Terminal Cleanliness N/A
Facilities N/A

Review by (Greece) 9th March 2015

Quick friendly security screening. Short lines at passport control. However smoking areas not well controlled and was forced to breathe second hand smoke for 40 minutes sitting at my gate waiting to board my flight. I travel a lot and this is the only airport in the 15 or so years where I have ever experienced this.

Review by (United Kingdom) 13th October 2014

A good airport. Very quickly through security which was staffed by polite people. Passport control queues small and staff dealt with all nationalities in a polite manner. Signs throughout the airport were found to be well positioned and also displayed in English. Over-all this a good airport.

Review by (Belgium) 26th August 2014

Excellent airport very large friendly staff beats airports in France or Italy.

Review by (Bulgaria) 28th January 2014

In general it is a normal airport. There are some shops places to sit etc. bathrooms are relatively clean. However I faced huge issues when I had to use the parking facilities. There is no gratis period for a car to come in and just pick you up for a very short period. This is very inappropriate because afterwards the only way to pay is in the local currency. EUR is not accepted anywhere and the exchange rates are very unfavorable. Moreover they did not accept to exchange small money (in my case 10 EUR). This caused a huge inconvenience for me and I have to say that the staff was not friendly either. I am definitely not keen on coming to this airport again!

Review by (United Kingdom) 2nd December 2013

It was not particularly busy when I arrived and departed but I felt Bucharest was one of the best airport experiences I have had in years. Apart from a short wait to check-in there were no queues anywhere and staff were courteous and friendly throughout. There is plentiful seating and a range of different food outlets (admittedly many selling similar food) and shops. A cheap alternative to a taxi is to use the bus into the city about every 20 minutes and a return ticket costs about 2 euros.

Review by (United States) 2nd September 2013

We started coming through here in December 2000. It's gone a long ways to finish what they started in the last 13 years but obviously by the other reviews still have a long ways to go in the pre-security departure lounge. However Lavazza is a nice touch because unlike the Starbucks model in which you have to help yourself and clean up your own mess the Lavazza is fastidiously serviced by wait staff who are very polite and attentive.