Bristol Airport

"continuing to get worse"

Trip Verified | I have been travelling through Bristol for many years but unbelievably it is continuing to get worse from the clients point of view. The car hire is now, and has been for a long time, in a building site which now has a bus that only circulates every 20 mins (for a 5 minute walk but they block off the paths to stop you walking). Soon the car hire will move off site so you will have to take a bus - so I might as well go to Heathrow or Gatwick then - at least these airports have proper train and road access. My second issue with Bristol airport is the quality of the food available - I have tried all of the offerings and they are all awful. My greatest gripe though is the time lost getting from the plane to the terminal after landing - nearly always these days we are bussed and the busses arrive 20-45 mins after the plane has landed. There is no excuse for this and makes a mockery of the speedy boarding we have paid a lot for. The airport Wifi still does not work and I am burning my roaming minutes to write this sat in the airport.
Date VisitMay 2018

"experience from start to finish is awful"

Trip Verified | So sad. The experience from start to finish is awful. We live <40mins away and are seriously considering an alternative for the future. Baggage Trolleys cost £2 which I am sure travelling around the world I have never ever experienced this which seems to be ultimately penny pinching and poor business strategy. Drop off car parking cost £3 for just over 10 mins, longer it will cost you significantly more. Again indefendable penny pinching. There are significant pinch points in the layout especially on exiting the arrivals hall which leads to lots of queuing throughout the whole experience. Silver zone parking layout and procedure is dire. Although the new buildings do look pretty. Food is insanely over priced There are no gate announcements The staff are mostly miserable.
Date VisitMay 2018

"experience is appalling"

Not Verified | This airport is just 40 minutes away from home so that's why we choose it. But the experience from start to finish is appalling! The so-called Duty Free is expensive, the restaurants and bars are a rip-off, seating is crowded and uncomfortable. But the worst experience is getting to and from the aircraft. A quarter of a mile walk to immigration, steps to negotiate trollies to pay for, and sloppy baggage delivery. A horrible start and finish to any holiday!
Date VisitApril 2018

"could not have been pleasanter"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Departed from aircraft on to new lift vehicle and then taken quickly through Immigration by a friendly wheelchair pusher who took me (possibly against regulations) out of the airport to the bus stop for the car hire offices. The bus driver helped me with my luggage and dropped me less than 20m. from the office. Return was similar apart from a long wait for the bus from car hire to terminal but from then everything went very smoothly again - much improved from my previous trip a year ago - clearly marked 'Special Assistance' area with a friendly lady who organised a wheelchair pushed by a young lady quickly through the apparently dreaded Bristol security whose staff could not have been pleasanter and to the waiting area. After a short wait I was taken by the new lift vehicle to the aircraft. No hassles and a good end to my weekend.
Date VisitApril 2018

"not be travelling via Bristol again"

Not Verified | We first went to the Costa coffee cafe and were troubled by an unattended bag sitting on a seat at one of the tables well away from the serving area. I searched for some form of security personnel but the area was quiet and I couldn't identify anyone. After around ten minutes a female returned to the bag carrying a coffee. my Wife was travelling alone for the first time and as she wears two hearing aids and is epileptic she was naturally 'concerned' that she travelled safely and without stress. At security she tried to explain to the female security person that she couldn't hear her properly several times, and was then 'manhandled' through, and had to remove her outer clothing without a full and proper explanation from the very rude staff. She called me on arrival in France and was still upset and shocked by the experience. Thankfully we have other airports to choose from and will not be travelling via Bristol Airport again.

"needs to up its game"

Not Verified | To start our holiday off we decided to have a breakfast in the Brunel Bar. That was our first mistake, my partner ordered the Ultimate English Breakfast at £10.95 and I ordered the Vegetarian Breakfast at £8.95. My potato rosti consisted of 3 small two pence size potato balls, the only egg available was scrambled egg that was rubbery on both meals and the Ultimate breakfast would not have satisfied a teenager left alone an adult. I have never seen such small plates. With a drink each, the breakfast cost us £31.00. Brunel Bar - you should be utterly ashamed on yourselves for serving such small, tasteless breakfasts. My second moan is about the long wait at bagge reclaim. Our flight was the only flight waiting for bags and this took over 45 minutes, which after a 5 hour flight is unacceptable. This happened on our previous flight as well. Bristol Airport needs to up its game if it is to keep people using it.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"no trays and very unhelpful staff"

Trip Verified | Easter has come as a surprise to Bristol airport, security system not working, no trays and very unhelpful staff standing around doing nothing about it. Nearly missed our flight having allowed 1.5 hrs to get through the airport. Complete incompetence.
Date VisitApril 2018

"the food is utterly inedible"

Trip Verified | The Bristol Airport restaurant facilities are a disgrace for an 'international' airport. In one of the airport restaurants - the 'Cabin' - the food is utterly inedible. The menu consists mainly of various burgers and 'wedges' (fat chips) or Caesar salads with or without chicken. There are no kitchen or cooking facilities, the food is simply piled on a plate and put in a microwave. The 'wedges' just turn to mush and the chicken burger I had was a stale bun with one tired lettuce leaf, a small slice of cold tomato and a quite repulsive filet of chicken that had been 'cooked' in the microwave. I couldn't eat it and sent it back. The staff obviously know of this problem and immediately accepted a change of dish so I chose something risk-free (I thought) - a plain Caesar salad. Back came a mound of even tireder green lettuce, a few croutons, cheap mayonnaise sploshed over it and hardly a sign of the 'cheese' indicated on the menu. I also sent it back and we decided to leave and paid for our drinks. These burgers and salads are wildly expensive - between £9 - £14! OK, airport food is always that much more expensive but these prices for the junk you get is scandalous! When I complained about each dish I was told I was the first customer to do so! This was totally untrue as my partner and I saw another table refusing the burger and 'wedgies', yet another customer nearby came up to us and and told us how much he agreed, and the couple next to us did, too, and ended up choosing cheese and biscuits for their meal - the only edible possibility. And to top it all, the menu proudly announces 'less than a 15 minute' wait for your meal but we waited over half an hour! When I asked the waitress where our food was she said apologetically that they had run out of printing paper!!! We had no idea what she meant by that. So a warning to all travellers at Bristol Airport: do not go to 'The Cabin' to eat. The other restaurant further along isn't much better either - mainly burgers again. There is a small café/snack bar between the two which is probably your best bet, certainly a bit cheaper - although I ended up having a pre-packed salad there and it was very dry with practically no salad sauce in the box.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Shocking baggage handling"

Trip Verified | Shocking baggage handling! It took over an hour for our luggage to arrive at the collection point. The first lot of luggage from flight no TOM6651 arrived quite quickly. An EasyJet flight landed around 30 minutes after ours. The baggage handlers decided to unload the EasyJet flight before finishing unloading the Thomson's. Most frustrating after a long day travelling.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"Special Assistance is being overused"

Trip Verified | We booked Special Assistance as my husband has recently had 2 knee replacements. Check in was fine, he did not need a wheelchair but used a walking stick. He was a long time through security including the special scanner due to the metal in the knees setting off the alarm. We had anticipated the stairs and 0.5 km walk to the gate (EayJet) hence the special assistance but the gate used on this occasion was much closer. We declined the use of the vehicular lift as there were too many wheelchairs to fit in, proceeded slowly to the steps only to be almost knocked down by the Speedy Boarders' rush to get their seats! Please note that Special Assistance is being overused due to the long walk and number of stairs at this airport and also to a few abusing the system totally! Alicante airport was wonderful, no fuss in security and plenty of wheelchairs so used one. On arrival on a 3 hour delayed flight, the Special Assistance people endured a 1 hour wait on the draughty plane waiting for the vehicular lift. Walking off was not an option as the plane was at the furthest flung part of the airport. This caused considerable anger and distress for the small group, many with more severe disability. We were told the airport has only 3 of these vehicles. We will avoid this airport in future, we live nearer to Exeter which offers fewer destinations but has not expanded hugely without paying attention to facilities for disabled.
Date VisitDecember 2017