Airline of the Year

Bristol Airport

"extremely stressful"

Unverified | We had booked to fly to Murcia 6.45am flight from Bristol Friday 16th June. We arrived at the airport at 4.45am with hand luggage only. The queue for departures was the whole length of the airport and utter chaos. It took over an hour to even get to boarding pass control where again only 3 electronic boarding pass units were operating. After getting through this stage we joined a queue to eventually put our cases and electronic devices belts and liquids into trays and told to go through the security screen. Here we waited for 40 minutes as the conveyor belt was at a standstill due to cases that had been directed to a lane for searching - no staff were searching cases or manning the position. We begged the staff to put our trays through the security screen as last call for our flight, they did not care and were walking around unresponsive to people's desperate dilemmas. We eventually asked a member of staff who was attending to a wheelchair traveller and she rang the gate to hold the check in time for us and got another member of staff to move our trays to an alternative security conveyor belt which allowed us to just make the flight. This experience for us and other travellers was unacceptable and extremely stressful.
Date VisitJune 2017

"passengers are treated like cattle"

Unverified | Kept waiting in corridors for passport control. In view of recent events I find it unbelievable that passengers are treated like cattle and herded by bored staff into corridors with no fire escapes. When you see signs on the wall that "abuse will not be tolerated" it makes you wonder what some passengers have had to put up with. Welcome to Great Britain. More like a third world country. Find another airport. Come on easyJet and Ryanair sort out the airport or everyone will be going Flybe from Exeter.

"operations seem unsustainable"

Verified Review | Chaos at security in Bristol Airport. Today, 23rd, was the same as Monday 19th. 30+ mins to get through. Not all security lanes operating. Were so many flights departing a surprise? Airport seems unable to cope with its growth plans, this weeks operations seem unsustainable.
Date VisitJune 2017

"45 minutes total to get through security"

Verified Review | I have traveled from Bristol Airport many times, unfortunately the new improvements have had a negative effect on the experience. The security systems have been expanded and apparently improved! Long queues and when we got to the front security people were very rude. I was shouted at for not putting my case in a tray - I had never had to do this before so could have been told politely, I then made an error of putting my toiletries in 2 clear plastic bags. I did this as last time I travelled I was asked to spread my toiletries into 2 so they were easier to view even though they did fit into one. Well this caused complete chaos as I gave the 2nd bag to my partner who didn't have any to save time. This resulted in him having to be searched and every item of my toiletries (all in branded bottles) being scanned indiviudally. I was then told to walk through the scanner - I tried to take my shoes off but told no need, the alarm goes off and I'm then shouted at by another member of staff for not taking them off. Then decided that my case needs to go back through scanner for no identifiable reason and be inspected. This caused a long wait for my case to be inspected and about 45 minutes total to get through security. It would be a lot easier if the staff weren't so rude and aggressive - I know you have to take electricals etc. out of your bag, belts of shoes off etc. but many people aren't regular travelers and don't really need to be shouted at. On return getting out of the airport is a nightmare - very long queues for passport control. Up and down stairs and long walk to get out. Car park doesn't recognise pre-paid tickets all very stressful.
Date VisitJune 2017

"unable to cope with several planes arriving"

Unverified | My wifes flight from Bodrum arrived 10 minutes later than shown on the website. The easyJet plane then parked and the passengers were kept waiting for a further 15 minutes as there were no steps available apparently for them to get off. After exiting Passport control she was kept waiting for a further 50 minutes in the baggage pick up area waiting for her case to be unloaded. Bristol airport are clearly unable to cope with several planes arriving at the same time and don't have enough staff. The access road into and out of the airport from the A38 was completely jammed with traffic on the hottest day of the year so far. Sorry Bristol, you may be my local airport but in future I will drive to Cardiff.
Date VisitJune 2017

"will seek alternatives in the future"

Unverified | Last evening I picked up my wife who was travelling back from Nice on easyJet. The airport website indicated that the flight was to arrive at 16.50, about 20 minutes late. I arrived at the airport shortly after 6.50 and since I thought it would take about 20 mins for her to claim her bag and come through I parked in the quick pickup area as I have done many times before. She finally emerged from baggage claim at 19.10, over an hour and 10 mins after the plane landed! She told me that the delay was due to there being no steps available to allow passengers to disembark and then it took ages for bags to come through. To make matters worse the exorbitant parking fee schedule ended up costing us £50.00! I could not move the car to an alternative lot since I might have missed her. Sorry Bristol Airport, but after having other miserable experiences there I will seek alternatives in the future.
Date VisitJune 2017

"getting worse and worse"

Regular travellers from Bristol and it is getting worse and worse. No problem with check in. Then the trouble starts. 90 minutes to get through security, loads of check points with no staff, loads of staff standing around. Chaos as people were going to miss flights. Staff are rude and unapproachable - some serious training is required. Yes, we did arrive in plenty of time for our flight. Then arrivals - longest walk ever from the plane to arrivals hall. Huge queue. Staff again surly and rude. E passport check in has to be the worst thing ever - never have this trouble at any other airport including the US.
Date VisitJune 2017

"it made no sense whatsoever"

Verified Review | Going for a well deserved week holiday and departing from Bristol airport, me the father, my 2 year old twin boys and mother. Upon arrival on to the security area, I noticed the area is new and it looks good. I am thinking, hopefully this will not take too long. Unfortunately this did not turn out to be the case! On our line there was just one operator, we were put on hold (as always happens since I have children) because of our boys food. After the long wait (lady doing the checks to every bag alone), was time to check my boys food, just a couple of kids juices and four kids yogurts (petits filous). Lady took the tray to a machine at the back, understandable, after all in this day and age security is a must. Now its coming the part where I did find it ludicrous, after a few minutes the lady came back with the boys food and all was good apart from two of the yogurts. She could not tell me the reason why, it got me confused because the yogurts were from the same pack as the ones given the all clear. Understandably I asked to speak to a manager, it made no sense whatsoever! The senior gentleman (smart appearance, trimmed moustache) came and soon after he said that the remaining yogurts were also OK. I asked him why that happened, his answer was, something like "just carry on with your flight, I could have said no", I did ask him again, to which I was told something like. I was being quite argumentative and that I should be very careful if I didn't want to lose my flight! In my opinion this was clear abuse of power. Now that I had some time to reflect on this incident, my question is: Would he have been able to make up a reason to hold me long enough so I would lose my flight (not mentioning my family)?
Date VisitMay 2017

"staff are rude and lazy"

This must be the worst airport in Britain. I flew into Bristol from Mexico. The plane landed at 8.30 am and we still had not collected our bags by 9.30 am. The staff are rude and lazy. When I flew out to Mexico our bags took 20 minutes to collect. It shows how superior and hard working other countries are opposed to Britain. There was only 1 announcement and that was at 9.25 after everyone was complaining. No one about to ask any questions.
Date VisitApril 2017

"distressing experience"

The security inspection facilities at Bristol airport whilst new does not provide a quick effective method of moving passengers through a busy terminal. I went through the system last October and it was slow, the staff were surly and it was an unpleasant experience. I had hoped that this week the service would have improved. Not so! When we arrived 2 hours before the flight departure we were confronted by distressed passengers who had been queuing for more than 30 minutes without moving forward. They had resolved to pay extra and fastrack at a cost of £5 per person. At least they got through in 15 minutes although the staff again are so surly and rude. It was distressing to see how they reacted to the old and young. What does this new system of people management mean. A distressing experience at the commencement of a journey. Little or no time to spend any money at duty free. Almost certainly it will cause passengers to miss flights. Bad news travels fast. I will not travel via Bristol airport again. I will not be treated by a work force who are rude and clearly hate their jobs. Bristol Airport getting some real professional expertise in or face the consequences of embarrassing complaints and airline backlash.