Bristol Airport

"it could be wonderful"

Not Verified | Bristol is my local airport and it could be wonderful, if it did not let itself down on some aspects of its customer service. When we flew out to Basel our plane was late coming in and it would have been so easy to make a short announcement informing us. Instead we waited and waited for a gate, which was finally displayed about 10 minutes before our departure would have been due, followed immediately by saying 'Gate closing'. So numerous people raced to the gate, only to find that the plane's doors had not even opened yet to let the incoming passengers disembark. When we returned there were several passport officials on duty and an airport employee divided us into people with passports and those with ID cards. The latter, of which there were not many, were allowed to go through the normal control and we passport holders had to queue for ages for the electronic readers, which were very slow. When we asked, if we could divert into the empty lanes to get checked by the passport officers, we were told that we had to go through the readers, despite the fact that the queue w9uld have moved much faster, if both had been used equally. As to the electronic readers - when we came back in the summer one of them would not read my husband's passport and he was told that his chip was faulty and he needed to get a new passport. My friend, who was not far behind him, was stopped using the same reader and told that it was not working properly. Fortunately she told us and my husband did not apply for a new passport, which would have been expensive. Needless to say, this time the reader read his passport, which means that there is nothing wrong with the chip. Another question that puzzles me is, why is this the only airport I have been through (and I have been through many) that makes such a fuss about the size of plastic bag for the cosmetics etc.. at the security check. All other airports I have used don't care what size it is, as long as it is transparent and re-sealable. I have seen people using sturdier versions in A4 size at Frankfurt and no-one minds. In the past at Bristol I have been told that my bag is too small, despite the fact that it had only a lip salve and a small bottle of perfume in it, that it is too big or the wrong make (?). Please Bristol Airport make our journey more enjoyable and less stressful by using some common sense and remember that passengers are much less likely to complain, when they are kept informed and treated like adults.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"miserable, monosyllabic and unhelpful"

Not Verified | Bristol airport must have the most miserable and unhelpful passport control staff in the world. No matter how many times I have travelled through and how polite and friendly I try to be they remain miserable, monosyllabic and unhelpful. Baggage reclaim is awful. Even when we were the only flight in the luggage took over half an hour to start and the cases were soaking as if they had just been left in the rain. It used to be my first choice of local airport but is rapidly becoming my last.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"seriously consider asking for assistance"

Verified Review | I do have a breathing problem which makes stairs difficult but have so far never needed to arrange assisted travel however on my return to Bristol at 11pm after descending the plane steps we were directed into the terminal and faced with a huge flight of stairs which needed a rest halfway up, then a long walk and a flight of stairs down to what seemed to be the same level we came in at! I have never had this problem at other airports which seem to have lifts and escalators, I was by no means the most incapacitated person on this flight and would seriously consider asking for assistance if I fly from Bristol again just in case I am met with so many stairs - surely escalators would be more cost effective.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"awful service, rude staff"

Verified Review | My flight was 6.15am. Arrived 4.10am (would have been earlier but problems at Clifton bridge) massive queue at check-in eventually got through at 5am - then queue at passport control / security got to security scan at 5.15 at which point my handbag was rejected and put through for further security check. When I went to get this there was one man 'looking for' owner of a bag - this person was still in the body scanner queue. I mentioned my bag was there - told abruptly 'have to be done in order' this is now 5.25am. There was 1 bag ahead of mine. I then mentioned that I was going to miss my flight - to which the reply again abruptly and rudely was 'well you should have got here 2 hours before' - which infuriated me as he didn't know what time I arrived at the airport and should not have assumed I was late getting there - which I wasn't. Absolutely appalled by his behaviour. There should be a fast track queue where flights are due to leave within 30 mins. Ridiculous system. My bag by the way hadn't X-rayed properly and was fine, which he also took his time on re-X-raying. Also made sure I had to go to him to get my bag back - wouldn't bring it to me. Awful service, rude staff. I did manage to get my plane but I was the last person getting on at 5.55am - I know security is important but the attitude was absolutely appalling!
Date VisitOctober 2017

"the organization was appalling"

Unverified | On returning to Bristol airport, the organization was appalling. Had go though the new security system which worked very poorly, I would say for a good 20% of the passengers the machine would not regonize their passports. For those that it did, it took ages to let you though, ages wait for luggage, then like sheep through the exit. From landing to getting on the road one and a half hours, nearly as long as my fight.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"I was appalled by the staff"

Verified Review | As it was for an evening flight, there were no queues at security however I was appalled by the staff who decided they were too busy either having conversations or being rude to customers (myself!). The girls at the bag security checks were too busy talking, the man behind the conveyor was being unhelpful and forceful as I had flown with the exact same bag and contents on the way over so knew it would all pass but yet was told to remove unnecessary components. It was rude, unpleasant and left a sour experience!
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Very small queues at security"

Unverified | Overall very pleased. Clean and tidy. Very small queues at security, though felt a bit rushed with a young child. Good choice of food and shopping in terminals. Quickly ushered through passport checks with a child. My only problem: why is it that pushchairs are the last thing to be loaded onto a plane before departure, so why are they always the last thing to come through the baggage carousel?

"staff were uncommunicative"

Unverified | Security staff miserable, unhelpful with two speeds slow and stop. The staff were uncommunicative, passengers didn't know which queue they needed to go to. Security claimed by clear bag was too big, yet it was smaller than the government and the airports suggested size. Arriving back, had to wait almost an hour for the cases, yet ours was the only flight that had landed. When luggage eventually came through the cases were wet, so they obviously had unloaded and left them in the rain for a while. All public places were dirty. I use the airport for convenience.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"Bristol airport, get your act together"

Unverified | Airport car parking prices are outrageous, £75 for one week silver zone. It is cheaper to get a taxi there and back round trip and I live in Weston super Mare. A total of 1 hour travel. You must joking Bristol airport, get your act together. You have many issues now you have grown. You are going to lose valuable customers

"most unfriendly airport"

Unverified | I live in the US but travel to the UK and Europe very often. Where do you start with this joke of an airport? Car parking - dreadful loose stone and dirt surface and non existent busses back to terminal. Check in - do these people work for the local government - they are unfriendly and have such a poor customer interface - they start your trip in poor form. Getting to and from the gate - you walk and walk - upstairs and down with totally inadequate provision of elevators and escalators for people who have difficulty walking. Toilets - on our last flight into this place there were 12 planes arriving in one hour due to weather delays but the moron cleaners still decided to close toilets for cleaning - another example of local government type employee thinking. Taxis - you have the choice of their own taxi company at very high rates or phone for a local form to come for you - a joke - I'm told it's a security measure - this is the only airport I use without a taxi rank - security is obviously another excuse for ripping off customers. Airport hotel - another example of pathetic planning - it's on the other side of the road - so you arrive with your bags and then - when it's raining - walk outside, cross the road, walk to the hotel and get soaking wet - what planning genius decided to leave the covered walk way out of the plan - it shows that the hotel and the airport really do think about their customers. Overall this is the most unfriendly airport I have the displeasure to use / a horrible experience and if I never use it again it will be to soon.