Bristol Airport

Review by (Ireland) 19th June 2015

Fast efficient and polite fast track security. Good facilities, shops, bars and places to eat. Free wifi in executive lounge.
Date Visit19-05-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 17th June 2015

My sister and I (both registered disabled) were visiting my daughter for week in Bristol both require wheelchairs, the staff at Bristol Airport were outstanding and extremely helpful in catering for our disabilities making the journey extremely enjoyable and safe.
Date Visit16-06-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (United Kingdom) 15th June 2015

I last travelled through Bristol airport around eight or nine years ago and I remember it being pretty decent for an airport of its size. This time around I was disappointed. Firstly, the security check. If you've forgotten a small plastic bag for your carry on liquid items you are encouraged to pay out £1 for a bag - don't bother doing this! Once through there were staff handing them out for free. Not sure why they do this, Heathrow and most other airports seem to give the bags out for free. The security check itself was awful. The queue was unbelievable and crawled along at a snails pace. The low ceilinged queuing area was stiflingly hot and the whole thing was just bad. Compare this to my last flight from Heathrow when I zipped through in 10 mins, max. Once through, the facilities on offer aren't too bad, but the terminal building felt very dingy and closed off, there were no windows that offered views out onto the runway area. I'm sure there were last time I flew from here. The walk from the terminal building to the boarding gate for my flight was also epic. Admittedly, that isn't necessarily a problem unique to Bristol. Coming back, again the walk to immigration and baggage reclaim was a real epic, worse than going out. That said, bags came off quickly and the joy of a small airport is that you're out and on your way pretty quick. I've been told that Bristol is undergoing a bit of an upgrade, so be to be fair some of my gripes may be resolved in the future. If you're flying this summer though, prepare for some long and sweaty queuing at security.
Date Visit13-06-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
Wifi Connectivity N/A

Review by (United Kingdom) 12th June 2015

This airport is just a disaster. I arrived this morning from Poland with Ryanair (an airline I'm always happy with, by the way) to find myself walking what seemed like miles down endless corridors until I ended up queuing in a stairwell just to get to passport control. When I finally got in there with what looked to me like 800 others, we were herded like sheep around pens in a suffocatingly-hot room, making slow shuffling progress towards the head of the queue. When I finally got there, I asked the woman jobsworth who was pointing everyone to the different desks why they didn't broadcast an apology for the ridiculously long wait, and why they didn't turn some ventilation on. She completely ignored me. This is what the unknowing foreign traveller is confronted with on arriving. A nasty impression. The staff at Bristol all need a good kick up the backside.
Date Visit12-06-2015
Wifi Connectivity N/A

Review by (United Kingdom) 25th May 2015

Flying out could not be simpler apart from when you are booked with a no thrills airline you need hiking shoes on for the long distance you need to walk. Coming into Bristol is another adventure in itself. Forget the 3 mile hike its the queues for passport control that are beyond a joke. Everything is slowed down and you are herded like cattle into market single file round and round barriers until you lose the will to live. Forget the "express" lane the new technology is slow and very much dictatorial. You know you are back in Blighty with all the you must do this signs. Border control staff need to be taught how to be polite too. The chap who greeted us barked out his questions akin to being trained by uncouth barbarians.

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th May 2015

I asked for assistance to travel to Cyprus I am 80 years old and disabled wonderful help getting onto the plane. Excellent help at Paphos excellent help to get me on the plane coming back you push a button in the disabled parking area and they bring out a wheelchair that you sit in until you enter the plane having gone up on the lift. When I arrived back at Bristol what a dreadful shock I had I asked for the use of the wheelchair that was on the lift that came up to the plane - I was refused I did not get a hand or arm to get off the lift left to walk unaided to a mini bus no help to get on no help to get off. I managed to find a wheelchair in the arrival disabled dept to be told we have nobody to push you. During this I kept calm not wanting to distress myself I realise I should have done things differently and sat in the plane until the assistance I had asked for and told I would get came about.
Queuing Times N/A
Terminal Cleanliness N/A
Facilities N/A

Review by (United Kingdom) 10th May 2015

I flew from this airport on Sunday 5th April 2015 to Reykjavik along with my mother on EasyJet flight EZY6001 our first time of flying with this firm and from this airport. After going to the baggage drop-off and having my suitcase weighed and labelled I mentioned that it was hand luggage and the member of staff said he did not know what I meant! Eventually the problem was sorted out but it would be more than helpful if there were signs saying where passengers with just hand luggage have to go to check in rather than have them queue in the wrong place. It would also be helpful if there could be signs (or staff) telling people well in advance when they will need to show their passport / boarding cards and what needs to be placed in the trays for scanning rather than wait until passengers are at the scanners and therefore causing unnecessary delays. On the return journey (EZY6002 on 9 April 2015) we were rudely told to show the glossy photo to the scanner and stand on the footprints on the floor. My mother and I had no idea what the two female members of staff meant and eventually one of them took my passport and showed the photo to the scanner but once we stood on the footprints the two members of staff wandered off leaving us unsure what to do next - the picture on the machine was confusing. After several minutes the two staff members were altered to the fact that we were still standing on the footprints and returned to tell us we could go through the gate all of which could have been prevented if the staff had taken the time to explain the procedure and waited to check that we had understood rather than wander off for a gossip! Finally could all airport staff remember that they do their job every day and know the routine but a lot of the travellers going through this airport may be a nervous first time flyers in a different country or tired from a long haul or early flight and would appreciate being treated with courtesy and having any problems dealt with politely. Travellers can be stopped from flying if they are aggressive or rude to staff so could airport workers return the courtesy as good manners cost nothing but go a long way!

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th March 2015

As a regular user I have often complained about the long walk to/from flights. The good news is that the new gates require a much shorter walk and there is far more seating than at the western apron. Note however that many flights do still go from the western gates so you may not be lucky. Early morning is always the busiest time but on my last visit the wait for security was about 5 minutes (though getting through took another 5 minutes as I kept setting the scanner off never found out why). Return was OK but could be better the usual lengthy wait for immigration checks but at least one of the officers took the time to explain why using the scanners is often no quicker than queuing for a manual check. There are still irritating things about Bristol (expensive car parks paying for trolleys limited seating in some areas) but it is in the mid range of UK airports from my experience.

Review by (United Kingdom) 9th March 2015

Large areas for check in great but facilities in the departure lounge were appalling. We were travelling with a small baby and needed to warm a bottle no signage and few people to help. The space for departures was far too small for the number of people trying to use the facilities. On departure went to gate with push chair but no staff around and had to carry it down a full flight of stairs no lift signs and no ramp.

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th February 2015

First the good news. Given this is a small airport averaging around half a dozen departures per hour you are unlikely to face a long queue on the runway for take off or for that matter to have to circle around for ages to land. Also the check in queues were not too bad albeit I flew during the off peak season. But that is about all there is good to say. The whole point of little airports is they should be easy to use very short walks from the plane to the exit. Instead it has been designed without airbridges so you usually need a bus to get to the plane. You will also face long walks with no moving walkways (mine on return was over 1/4 mile) along with going up and down stairs (again no escalators). Anyone with young children and pushchairs or elderly and infirm should take careful note. Access is horrendous as the airport is in the middle of nowhere without any sensible connection to the M4 or M5. Most people will either have to go through Bristol or across windy minor roads. The parking is basically in a dirty great big field poorly concreted and open to the elements so if it's raining you will get drenched. All this for parking prices on a par with LHR and Gatwick despite the airports rural location. Helpfully the short term car park is also sited in a dip so you face a big uphill lugging of your cases while the rain pelts you. If you want a trolley it's £2 per trolley non refundable. Even Gatwick and LHR don't do that! Generally I like small airports because what you lose in facilities you gain in ease of use and lower cost. But not here.