top100_2016

Bristol Airport

"Bristol airport is very poor"

The passenger 'journey' through Bristol airport is very poor. I travel the same 3 hour flight to and from Europe 4 times a year from Bristol. I arrived for a 6.30am, having parked with plenty of time to spare in the silver zone. Due to huge queues for bag drop off (where eventually easyJet called forward passengers for my flight as it was taking so long), me and many others were aware time was ticking on. I often travel alone so have two wheeled bags which I find a struggle. I am not disabled but am over 70 and currently have an ankle injury which slows me up. I could not even get to the end of the queue for security which stretched the full length of the departure hall - I was not fast enough as people were running to join it from all directions. I very politely asked if I could join the queue close to the revolving doors but received a hostile and aggressive response from people all around me who were obviously very fed up. Nevertheless I did 'push in' as I was desperate. The escalator was off and I struggled with my case queueing up the stairs. I joined the security line as directed by staff. There was no passenger management of any sort other than surly one word orders from staff. It was chaotic. Something on me set off the electronic alarm and I was pat-searched and scanned with a wand. I had to wait for several minutes for this indignity as there was a shortage of female staff. Eventually through all this I went as fast as I could to my departure gate, including the stairs (no lift). I missed my flight by minutes. The pilot (first officer or whatever they are called) said I could board but the baggage handlers had already thrown my bag off. The 'wonders' of the silent airport had prevented any last call for passengers held up by the awful airport processes, delays, long double-back-on-yourself walks and the fact that I am slower than others. The outcome was that I had to get a bus into Bristol (£7), a coach to Gatwick (£30.50) and catch another flight later that day (£80). Gatwick procedures were as smooth as silk but the plane was over 30 minutes late taking off. No hire car waiting at my destination as arranged due to confusion over flights/times so another 45 euros for a taxi to my house. So I paid approx. £150 extra for this episode. The exhausting journey took nearly 24 hours door-to-door. I had not gone to bed the night before. Due to the early start I was worried about being late so stayed up for a 3am departure. I had anticipated arriving here at my house in Greece by 1pm - not 1am the next day. Bristol Airport is letting down its customers very badly by clustering flights at key times of day with the result that the facilities cannot cope. You are also letting down the airlines that use you - If I were an easyJet executive I would be wanting some answers. The distances and convoluted walks (mandatory routes through shopping areas, up stairs through lounge and cafe areas, up and down more stairs) to departure gates are completely unacceptable as part of the new developments.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"experience was very positive"

I have travelled many times over the years from Bristol Airport and this review is written purely as a review when travelling with a family member with disability problems. Overall, the experience was very positive. Our party was able to keep together at all times and the service was efficient and friendly. After reporting to the assistance desk, a "helper" took us to the front of the queue to check in and go through security. Our daughter stayed in her mobility scooter until boarding with special equipment to help the process. We noticed that passengers travelling alone were well supported in every way. I have often found Ryanair a complete nightmare but in this instance, seats were located near the loo and help arranged at the Spanish airport when we arrived. This was our first experience and has given us confidence to repeat. I would anyone travelling with a disability to do their homework and take advantage of the help available as it certainly lightens the load.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"queues unbelievable and unnecessary"

Bristol airport is horrendous. The queues are unbelievable and unnecessary. We were travelling as a group to Paphos in Cyprus and the check in desk queues for Thomson were nearly an hour. Once we got to the desk 4 of us checked then the computers went down and the rest of the party had to wait another 30 minutes for another desk to become available for them to be checked in. Then we waited another hour to go through security even though the announcements were saying it was only 15 minutes. The staff were all rude and there was no organisation. Once through the prices of the food and drink is expensive and you again have to line up and wait as the there is not enough staff to serve everybody. Again no organisation where anybody queues and there was people walking up to the bar oblivious of the queue and then being served. At Paphos airport we were expecting long queues due to the number of different flights leaving, however it was smooth and the check in and security was really quick.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"complete and utter shambles"

Bristol Airport has two things going for it - 1) It is close to home. 2) I don't have to use it very often. We put the car in the Long Term Car Park and had to wait ages for a rude bus driver to take us to arrivals. Inside the Departure Lounge prices for food and drink are extortionate. You then have to walk for ages to reach the gates to catch the plane after avoiding the rip-off prices in so-called Duty Free. Returning at 11.20pm there was another wait for a bus to take us from the aircraft to arrivals. A long hike to Baggage reclaim. This was followed by a 20 minute wait for the bus to the Long Term Car Park. We spent longer messing about waiting at the Airport than the flight to Gibraltar. A complete and utter shambles at a place which has been extended in size without proper passenger facilities. International it is not. User friendly it is not. A disgrace, it certainly is.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"shambles from start to finish"

Absolute shambles from start to finish. Every other airport seems to be a straight forward process but not this one. On my most recent holiday, we left from Bristol, had to pay £2 just to use a trolley. Took ages to go through security where I had my babies soya milk taken off me, not helpful as she is dairy intolerant. They also stated that "shower gel" did not count as liquid but a "soap" did. When we returned, we were greated with a non moving queue for border control and no taxi's available. In contrast, we sailed through Ibiza airport and were in our hotel in less time than it took to get our bags in Bristol.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"all caused by passport control"

I recently drove to collect my partner and a friend. Her flight was due to land at 15 minutes after midnight. I arrived a few minutes later and awaited her phone call to let me know she had reached the Pick Up zone. I waited and waited for nearly 2 hours and it was all caused by passport control. The flight was on time but she had to join a queue in the corridor with hundreds of other passengers. No toilets are available in the corridor. By the end of the 40 minute drive home the sun was beginning to rise.
Date VisitJune 2016

"arrivals busy but no way overwhelming"

Bristol must a different airport to the poor reviews it is getting. Positive experience for our outbound flight and we had a similarly good one with our incoming flight. No queueing at immigration, baggage arrived swiftly and yet it was a busy time, the arrivals area was busy but no way overwhelming. One minor criticism, the separate line for e-passports wasn't signed as well as it could have been. Toilets roomy and clean, plenty of free use ATM's about, yes it would have been nice not to have disembarked in the rain, but maybe in the future.
Date VisitJune 2016

"security usually straightforward and quick"

Bristol Airport is relatively small compared to the larger London hubs, and as the largest aircraft flown from here is the A320 or similar so gates are not usually too crowded. Security usually straightforward and quick, although can get busy at peak times. No boarding announcements so have to keep an eye on the departure boards regularly.

"great experience"

Arrived at Bristol Airport 2 hours before our easyJet flight. We had already pre-booked car parking in the long stay parking, not too many spaces available, but the shuttle bus was very soon whisking us to the terminal building. Bag drop was no more than a 2-3 minute delay, security no delay at all, plenty of seating in the departure Lounge. Plenty of eating places available with reasonable prices. Great experience.
Date VisitJune 2016

"clearly needs an overhaul"

Currently standing in long queue for border control. The reason given is due to the high number of flights arriving. Concerns me that this seems to be information that they weren't aware of. Surely if management had expected a large volume of flights (on a Sunday lunch time) they would have prepared accordingly. Management practice clearly needs an overhaul.