Best Cabin Crew

Bristol Airport

"made it with 5/10 minutes to spare"

The security staff there seemed to delight in putting you through it, mostly youngish and a bit over the top. I could not believe how far it was from the departure lounge to our boarding gate. Although we gave ourselves plenty of time I think we only made it with 5/10 minutes to spare. The catering/refreshment facilities were ok but very overpriced in my view. This is the only airport I have been to where you are charged for a baggage trolley. Needless to say I will not be travelling through this airport again unless it is absolutely the only option available and would advise others to do the same.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"departures hall is new"

Last time I was in Bristol there was a lot of building work. That was in Spring. When I got there this time the departures hall is new. Waiting on a flight for me is the opportunity to relax and the layout of Bristol offers that option.

"quite a good airport"

(Spain)

When you land you have a rather large walk to immigration I didn't like that, once at immigration everything is fine. Check-in desks are easy to find security doesn't ussualy take too long , departure lounge is OK, there are many shops, lots of restaurants and bars, (even though they are quite expensive), gates are pretty easy to find. So quite a good airport. I would recomend it.
Date VisitDecember 2015

"courteous and efficient security check"

(Spain)

Dreaded using Bristol Airport after reading some of the reviews. Flew Ryanair on 4th December. Great flight and on time. Passport clearance by courteous staff without any long delays, luggage also came through reasonably quickly. Clear signs directing to car hire. Hertz staff fast and efficient. Flew out today 7th December. Good directions to return car, quickly sorted. Friendly and helpful Ryanair check in. Courteous and efficient security check, not held up for too long. Fast track security empty, not required. Good choice of snacks air side. Holiday essentials too. Clean toilets. Small wait time after being called to go to gate due to slight delay in flight. Great flight back. Would I use Bristol again? Well yes, absolutely.

"facilities woefully inadequate"

I have travelled via Bristol Airport many times in the last 10 years or so and each time it gets a little bit worse. Despite attempts to upgrade the facilities, these are woefully inadequate for the passenger numbers with overcrowding and 'kettling' of passengers in both arrival and departure areas. Security is the most stringent of any UK airport and is staffed by unfriendly automatons seemingly devoid of any humanity. You must pay £1 for a plastic bag (you cannot use your own) to take a limited number of liquid items in your hand luggage. However you can return from any overseas destination without a plastic bag or any liquid restrictions. When you arrive in departures the choice of food and drink is limited and expensive. For some inexplicable reason Butcombe Ale is always unavailable - such a shame given the brewery is literally just down the road. Last weekend we arrived back in the UK late on Sunday night in sub zero temperatures only to queue outside a building for 10 minutes before being herded through the cattle gates at passport control. Heaven help you if you are old or infirm. On entering passport control three lanes were in operation with only the left one going to the automated passport control with little or no delay. Taking the other two lanes meant a 30 minute wait for manual processing. No signs indicates which lane should be used and you had to use the lane indicated by a staff member. Transport facilities and customer service in the UK have improved a lot in the last decade or so. Unfortunately Bristol Airport has not kept up and is sliding backwards. I dread to think what impression first time visitors to the UK must receive on arrival, as it feels to me (a UK citizen) that I am entering an oppressive totalitarian state. Bristol Airport does not represent a warm welcome to Bristol and the West Country.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"would never recommend this airport"

Really disappointed with Bristol "international airport", overinflated prices on food and drinks, ridiculously long queues to go through security. You need to give yourself at least 2 hours to be sure you dont miss your plane, the walk to gates is horrendous at least 1/4 of a mile, no moving escalators so up and down steps with cases and pushchairs travelling with young toddlers was a nightmare. Then you are held in a holding room by the tarmac, we stood for nearly 3/4 of an hour with no seating, eventually we were herded across the tarmac in the pouring rain and all got completely soaked as people queued to go up the aircraft steps. The return arrival was just as bad, the same ridiculously epic hike with cases etc from tarmac to passport control, where you are met with another massive queue, it took us longer to get through security and collect baggage than it did for our flight back from Spain. Then we had to fight our way through an angry queue of people trying to get Taxis, you couldn't even get into the Taxi office as it was packed, we had pre-booked our taxi, so went to taxi queue to be told we had to report to the office and collect a ticket first. At this point I could of screamed with frustration, the whole holiday was blighted by our experience of flying in and out of Bristol, I would never recommend this airport.
Date VisitOctober 2015

"recommending it would be out of the question"

What an awful experience especially with the security staff. A security male, picked me out for a body search. Because I didn't turn properly in the Xray machine, he became sarcastic and began treating me like a child. Condescending, rude and demeaning. I expressed concern about my waiting bag and he said "Calm down and I will fetch it over for you". However, he picked up someone else's bag and its owner rightfully became agitated and mine was left unattended with its valuable contents. I would only ever use the airport again under sufferance or necessity. Recommending it would be out of the question.
Date VisitOctober 2015

"a very pleasant experience"

I found Bristol Airport to be a very pleasant experience. I decided to arrive early for my flight and I was able to go to security straight away as I only had hand luggage. Security queues were long for the time of day at 5am but these were handled fast and we were through security in about 20 minutes. I did not find the security staff rude and they handled the job in a professional manner. Once through security, the departures lounge had expanded since I last visited and Bristol Airport are definitely responding to the growing passenger numbers. Boarding the aircraft was not down to the airport but to Swissport as to how fast they managed the boarding, however navigating to the gate was quick and easy. There is always somewhere to sit including the new departure expansion. Bristol Airport are currently also in the process of expanding their security and arrivals area making it over 100% larger than it currently is.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"very disgruntled and rude security team"

Had the worst experience flying from Bristol Airport - missed our flights after following easyJet guidance that it would be ok to get there 1 hour before the flight if you only have hand luggage. We stayed in a hotel near the airport and got there 1 hour before but it took 35 minutes to get through a very disgruntled and rude security team. I've never seen such a large queue at Bristol having used it many times in the past. Bristol Airport told us that the longest time to get through security was 19 minutes and when we complained saying it was longer they checked the CCTV and reported that it in fact did take us 35 minutes. No apologies of course. It really now feels like Bristol is a place for the young who can sprint to the gate if they are lucky enough to catch the announcements that the flight is boarding (if they get through security in time). It really does feel like the airport is on a big sliding scale downwards and are clearly understaffing security. Who cares about the customer any more right?
Date VisitOctober 2015

"Departures Terminal is horrendous"

Departures Terminal is horrendous. Bristol airport used to be one of my favourites: small airport, and the long term car-park is so close to the terminal that you can walk from one to the other in a few minutes. But now the airport terminal has expanded and - although the car-park is still convenient - going through the terminal is ghastly. It's completely unable to cope with the volume of travellers. I flew in September. Got to the airport more than two hours before the flight, but I came close to missing it because the check-in and security was so hopeless: - the queue at the luggage drop was very slow: partly because of a dopey person behind the desk, mostly because the luggage conveyor belt broke down. The worst of it was the queue through security: the system is completely unable to cope with the volume of passengers. Masses of people funnelled into too small a space. I stood in the (slow-moving) queue for quite a while, until it became obvious that if I stayed there I'd miss my flight, the only way out was to move to the front (other passengers were most understanding, which was the only good thing about it). Just got to the gate in time. Worst departures terminal I've travelled through. Another time I'd drive (from Somerset) to Gatwick, or Stansted, or anywhere, rather than endure that security queue again. Can't rate the shopping, etc, as the security queue left no time to do any. Car-park still good but that's not much comfort!
Date VisitSeptember 2015