Best Cabin Crew

Bordeaux Airport

"lines were literally stuck and staff were swamped"

Arrival and departure from Billi Terminal. At the bagage claim there was a very strong odor in the terminal while waiting for the lugage (sewage system odors I think). The departure: From the main terminal you have to walk outside to reach Billi: no rain shelter. At the check-in you're asked to handle the luggage by yourself by lifting your suitcase on an X-ray machine belt conveyor, staff do not help. Metal detectors and cabin bags X-ray checks: they use worn out school tables where you prepare you belongings, lack of plastic trays so people were waiting. Some lines were literally stuck and staff were swamped. In the overcrowded terminal: lack of light (was very dark), and lack of chairs (had to go to the restaurant to find a seat). The toilets: this is a small booth with a very strong smell of urine. After boarding you're asked to wait in a room prior to walking to the plane: a full A320 plane with all passengers standing up for 15-20 min in a room with maybe 20 chairs. It felt like we were treated as cattle.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"it's quicker to list what was wrong"

This was by far the worst airport experience I have ever had. It's quicker to list what was wrong, and it can be summed up with one word. Everything. I will never fly to or from this airport again if I can help it.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"very unprofessional unguided chaos"

I have never experienced such a tiny, very hot, dark, disorganised airport in my life as Bordeaux Airport. Not enough room for everyone. Very cramped. Queues far too long in such heat with no air circulating. Not many staff and all over the place trying to hurry people through security to make the flights on time. Then hold you in a tiny place herded in with no air, no windows, no water, few seats and no lights. Very unprofessional unguided chaos with Speedy Boarders and families with little children mixed up with other boarders. It was a mess. The flight itself was nice and quick with informative announcements from the captain a couple of times en route.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"it's basically a human cattle shed"

Once again stuck in the Billi terminal of Bordeaux Airport in unbearable heat. It sadly still looks like it did the first time I visited, like it is under construction and it hasn't changed in the years it's been here. Easily the worst airport terminal I have travelled from. It's basically a human cattle shed.

Bordeaux Airport customer review

Departed today from the Billi terminal which serves Easyjet. Not sure if it is being refurbished or if the refurbishment is still underway but it is pretty dreadful. Massively overpriced food and drink, one of the worst cappuccinos I have had in France (go to Italy for the best) and very badly maintained toilets. Because they have a monopoly it seems that the airport operators put minimum investment into the facilities. Generally it ranks worse than Luton and that is a disgrace.

Bordeaux Airport customer review

How to negotiate Billi terminal at Bordeaux Airport. Don't travel with children. Don't travel with hold luggage. Don't have a need to use a toilet. Don't have a need to sit down. Don't enter the Billi terminal more than 30 minutes before the announced gate closing time then go straight through security. Expect airport staff to be in a permanent state of stress. Don't arrive hungry or thirsty. Wear light clothes or avoid travelling during hot weather due to the lack of ventilation and air conditioning. In the event your flight is delayed or cancelled then immediately make your own arrangements for rebooking a later flight, food and/or overnight accommodation, keep recipes and reclaim your fair and reasonable out of pocket expenses direct from the airline. Don't rely on the airport staff to do this for you. Don't have normal expectations. The Billi terminal of Bordeaux is like nothing you will have ever encountered before whilst travelling in Europe.
Date VisitAugust 2015

Bordeaux Airport customer review

I travelled through Bordeaux airport last week (inbound and outbound) and it is the poorest quality terminal that I have experienced as a flight customer. As highlighted by a number of the earlier reviews there are many problems/inconveniences: As I approached the security area - I was asked to push my carry-on luggage along chip-board tables (while sometimes taking my luggage off to avoid the roof poles). The security area was so busy (and it appeared the staff were stressed) that a 200ml bottle of sunscreen that I had forgetten to take out of my handbag was not picked up by the security screeners. We could not proceed to go through the passport control (unusually enough this appears to be a requirement upon leaving the airport) as there are only 2 boarding gates (beyond passport control) and they were full with passengers waiting for their flights. Once we could proceed to our gate (called 35/45) it was clear that the facilities at the gate were extremely basic. It has very few seats (I'd say about 10-15 for a full flights of about 200 passengers), no air conditioning (or at least that is how it felt), no toilets (and in our senario our flight was delayed by an hour) and no snack / beverage areas (particularly if one needs water). The procedure to use the toilets requires one to give one's boarding card to the airline staff at the gate, take one's passport to go out through passport control and to use the toilets in the 'main' lobby of the terminal. In some parts of the terminal, particulary in the arrivals area, there is a very strong smell of fish. A very pleasant security guard sought to explain what the cause of the smell is. I didn't quite understand his French - however, it is clear that the fish smell is a problem and the authorities are aware of it. The same security guard stated that the design of the terminal resulted in a very poor experience for both passengers and staff alike. I commend all the staff we encountered as they were very courteous and professional while working in a stressful environment. I think the Billi Terminal in Bordeaux Airport gives a very poor impression of the airport as a whole and it is should be a priority to upgrade it.

Bordeaux Airport customer review

I arrived into the main terminal with time to spare to see on the information board that the check in desk status was Billi. I had no idea what that meant nor was there any explanation so I waited for 15 mins or so for an update as I assumed it was just too early to check in. I eventually asked a member of staff what Billi meant and was told I had to leave the building to go to another terminal outside. On arriving here I found an enormous queue/crush out of the narrow doors onto the street and had no choice but to join. It was an hour before I and my 2 small children got to the desk to check in where I discovered I had to take my bags and put them onto a conveor belt myself (via another 10 min queue) to go to the plane. Then i joined a 15-20 minute queue to get through security followed by a rush to passport control. On arriving at passport control we were pushed to the side as there was no more room in the departure area due to delayed earlier flights so we waited 20 minutes. Eventually we were ushered through passport control and arrived into a hall area with seating for 10 people tops! At this stage my son asked to go to the toilet and I was told no toilets existed in this area and I would have to leave and come back in through passport control. Also our flight was delayed by 1 hour but as there were no screens or information boards we had no idea of this so spent well over 1 hour in this area. No toilets, no info, no wifi. My advice - stay away from Bordeaux unless travelling mainstream airlines!

Bordeaux Airport customer review

Departure from the Billi Terminal at Bordeaux Airport is without a doubt the worst airport experience I have had in the developed world. Aesthetically it resembles a pre-fabricated shed, that aside: the check-in process is pathetically poorly designed, with passengers having to take back their baggage for the hold once they have checked in and carry it round themselves to the x-ray machine. Then once through security there are too few seats for everyone waiting for their flights, so yesterday I would say 20% of passengers had to sit on the floor or perch on ledges. Then when we got through to our gate there were maybe 10 seats, reserved for EasyJet "special" customers, and no seats whatsoever for the rest/majority of passengers, so another bout of standing up or ledge perching. If I had known I would have paid extra to use another airline using one of the proper professionally built and operated terminals, or indeed a different airport altogether.

Bordeaux Airport customer review

I think there are two sides to Bordeaux airport: the main terminal and a budget airline terminal. The latter was really bad when I travelled through a few weeks ago. I think they must be in the process of upgrading it, or building it altogether! Presently its like a DIY airport made out of Ikea flatpack. When you check in you have to take your bags round to a separate desk for them to be tagged and sent to the plane. This created a pretty chaotic and busy environment. The queue for security was long and merged with the queues for the bag drop area. Once through security there were more queues that snake round the shopping section whilst people wait to go through immigration and the boarding areas for the flights. This means that its impossible to look round the retail area and food areas. It was all so chaotic and such a muddle! I'd hate to think what it'll be like once peak season kicks in. As i said, i think they're in the process of constructing this terminal, which is called the 'billi' terminal, as it had a very temporary feel to it. In the meantime, prepare yourself for lots and lots of chaotic queuing. Review is based on billi terminal only - rest of the airport may be a dream!
Date VisitJune 2015