Berlin Schonefeld Airport

"Cleanliness is shocking"

Unverified | This is by far the worst airport I have ever had the misfortune of visting. I travel extensivly and I can honestly say that this ranks number 1 on the worst ever list and I have seen some poor airports. Cleanliness is shocking. Security is a joke, facilities are better at Lulea airport and that is nothing more than a shed with a runway attached. I have now been through this airport 3 times and yet to see a single flight leave within an hour of its scheduleed departure. Operations are shambolic at best. The landing fees must be ridiculousy cheap as its the only reason I can see for any airline to even consider using this place.

"unutterably shoddy"

Verified Review | Berlin Schonefeld Airport is filthy, unfriendly, cramped, uncomfortable and unutterably shoddy and disgusting all round. There is no aircon, facilities are very limited, there is nowhere near enough seating, the cafe facilities are falling apart and jam packed with hardly any choice. Security staff were rude and disrespectful. The departure area is filthy and full of flies. I have flown from many airports around the world including in third world countries and this is the most disgusting experience I have ever had. This is nowhere near the standard one expects of wealthy European cities.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Absolutely rude and completely unnecessary"

Verified Review | It was a horrible experience and I don't recommend it to anyone. Security control is extremely inefficient and rude and speaking to me in German all the time despite me asking for English. I spent half an hour (because they only opened two lanes out of four) standing in the queue with people queue jumping. After passing through security, the lady next to scanner started shouting at me in German (at an international airport) so I asked her for English which she did not bother with. After scanning my shoes, I thought it was done and another lady told me to put my bag on a tray. When I asked which, she said 'you know what means all?'. Absolutely rude and completely unnecessary. I was very upset, angry and felt like I was flagged for adhering to the rules.

"very long queues"

Verified Review | Without a doubt one of my worst airport experiences ever. Unfortunately there is very little choice when it comes to travelling to and from Berlin. In short: very long queues, no aircon, grubby old buildings, hardly any shops, poor food choices and nasty staff! You could be forgiven for mistaking this place for a provincial airport in some 2nd world country and not one of only two airports of the capital of Germany. Avoid if possible!
Date VisitMay 2017

"met by scenes of chaos"

Verified Review | Berlin Schonefeld is the worst airport I have ever had the misfortune to travel through. My friends and I arrived early (9.30am) for our return flight to the UK at 12.30. Upon entering Terminal D we were met by scenes of chaos. There were already 3 lines of queuing people the whole length of the terminal building. We checked in our bags with our airline Jet2.com and were advised to join the lines. The lines moved very slowly and we were standing in the queue until after 13.00, more than 3.5 hours later. My friends and I are all in our sixties. Other passengers were breaking into the lines. Nobody was marshalling the lines, even though Police and Security staff were present they did nothing to assist the situation. I believe passengers were sent to other terminals when they could no longer fit any more people through the doors. When we eventually arrived in the departure lounge our aircraft was already boarding and we had to hurry to the gate. We were the last of the passengers to board the aircraft. I understand this incident had been caused by a fire in a burger bar outside the terminal. I also understand that airport security is vitally important, but I would not like to be in this airport if a real emergency occurred. The only announcements I heard were telling people to keep calm. It was pathetic.

"chaos in terminal D"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | This morning, there was a fire outside the airport which was quickly taken care of by the fire fighters. From there, terminal D seemed to be paralysed: the security check was blocked, no information was given to the passengers for at least 4 hours, people whose flight was boarding couldn't move in front of the line (a staff member explained that "if we do it for one person, we'd have to do it for everyone", as if it was not the standard procedure in any other airport!). Finally I decided to leave the terminal and I discovered that things were running smoothly in the terminal C (30 meters from terminal D!). No one in terminal C seemed to know about the chaos in terminal D.
Date VisitMay 2017

"the situation is horrible"

(Greece)

Verified Review | Worst airport I have ever been at. Airport staff were not very friendly and did not seem to know the airport very well. There were huge lines at security check which was not opened even after complaining with no reason being told. Announcements are very low volume and usually hard to understand. Food and duty free is eay too expensive, even for an airport. Generally it propably does not sound that bad, but in comparison to other German and European airports the situation is horrible.

"dreadful arrival experience"

Every time I arrive at Schonefeld I am shocked by the utterly archaic train ticketing system. The queues are huge for each machine. None of the machines take credit cards (seriously - in this day and age) and due to demand, the machines rapidly run out of change. This visit it took me 45 mins just to buy a train ticket. Dreadful arrival experience.
Date VisitMay 2017

"out of date and run down"

Berlin Schonefeld is a disgraceful airport for one of Europe's leading cities. Not only does it look out of date and run down it really is. Seating in the departure hall is a very restricted resulting in a good number of the passengers having to sit on the tiled floor, including me at the age of 77. The toilets are disgraceful, the entry is so small that if a passenger has a case (not unusual at an airport!) it is very difficult to get in. Also the toilets I visited were absolutely filthy with used nappies and sanitary towels on the floor because the bins were overflowing. The roller towels had run out and were dangling on the floor. A passenger on her own with small child in pushchair and hand luggage was told there was no lift from security to the departure lounge - it was left to other passengers to help her. At 3.15 our flight was announced on your board to go to gate 7 where we stood in a queue for 20 minutes only to then be told there was an hours delay on the flight. Surely someone knew this before calling the flight. I understand that this may have been easyJet's fault but it is totally synonymous with this inefficient and run down airport
Date VisitMay 2017

"as bland as an unsalted cracker"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Arrival at Berlin Schonefeld was about as bland as an unsalted cracker. Off the plane then straight into a bus, which went right into passport control. No shops or anything. Departure is even worse. Chaotic entrance, queues for passport control blocking pathways, dirty chairs, filthy toilets, and a choice of fine dining between Burger King and an Irish Pub (in Germany, God forbid). Avoid this airport.
Date VisitApril 2017