Top 100 Airports

Berlin Schonefeld Airport

"complete fiasco and embarrassment"

Berlin Schonefeld is a complete disaster on every single aspect. On arrival you move through a grim series of makeshift corridors and cabins and queue up at passport control before entering the baggage collection hall. This hall is falling apart. The ceiling is mostly exposed with wiring hanging down, baggage carousel very dated and the actual space is just too small for the amount of people that pass through. On entering arrivals the signage is really bad with a small sign with an image of a train pointing outside. I followed the crowds out of the terminal and across to a covered walkway and down into the station. The signage in the station looks like it will be helpful with large signs denoting "Berlin City" but this is where it stop. There are two travel options which you would have needed to research beforehand; Berlin City on the S-Bahn and a slightly more direct service that serves different station on the RB/RE train. The ticket machines are unclear if you can use either ticket on either train as some of the machines have signs directing you to use a different ticket machine if you are using the express service (this is incorrect and confusing as it turns out that you can use the ABC ticket on either service and the machines are all the same for that purpose). The machines only accepts debit cards and Maestro cards which have been issued in Germany. Departing from the airport was an even worse experience. There are four terminals (A, B, C and D). I followed the signs directing me to terminal D to check in my bag for my Ryanair flight. Checked in my bag after about a 30 minute wait then made my way to the security queue next to the check-in desks. At the queue a woman looked at my boarding pass and started gesturing and shouting in German for me to go to terminal B. Yep, you have to go back outside and make your way to a different terminal to go through security and to the boarding gate. When I finally made it to Terminal B it was a construction zone and there was no indication that I was in the correct place. The entire terminal is kitted out in Easyjet orange. I asked if I was in the correct place and I was gestured into the queue. Security wait time was average enough. After security you are led into a duty free show with all the usual fare. There are a few other shops around, dotted between gates, seating, lounges and unmanned passport control desks. The seating is totally inadequate for the number of people and departing flights. More than half of the people were sitting on suitcases, window ledges, the floor or just standing uncomfortably. The terminal is disgustingly dirty so I passed on buying any food in Burger King or the Irish Bar, but still had to bizarrely walk through them both to get to my gate. I made my way down through a series of corridors and to passport control at the gate entrance and into a small room with too few seats for the 180+ people boarding the flight. Everyone was packed in together for about 40 minutes until the flight started boarding. Every single staff member I made contact with was incredibly rude, dismissive and had no concept of customer service. This airport is a complete fiasco and an embarrassment to the German capital. It is baffling that this airport is allowed to actually operate.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"you are trapped"

(Sweden)

Berlin Schonefeld is one of the worst airports in a modern city. After you have passed the security check, you are trapped. Too few sockets - terrible connection public transport to terminal and a very chaotic way to get to the gates - that's what Berlin Schönefeld is about. Yes, mainly low-cost-carrirers fly from here, but why are other airports in this fields so much better? And Berlin Schonefeld do not have any smoking rooms. The free Airport Wifi connection did not work.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"you could hardly move in departures"

Arrived and departed within 4 days with easyJet at Terminal A. Arrival went ok, no security or baggage delays. Place looked a bit grim though. Walked a few minutes to the nearest train station for our airport express into Berlin (hardly an express, seemed to stop at every station). Departure, well, animals have been treated far better at busy cattle markets, it was very busy and you could hardly move in departures, lack of air, as many sitting on the floor as were sitting on seats. There were no delays to departures which could have made this worse either. Toilets, well you couldn't swing a cat. This is easily the worst airport I have used and I have used a lot around the world. When our aircraft arrived, it took the ground staff 7 or 8 minutes just to put the stairs to the aircraft, the turnaround seemed so slow. The food and drink outlets were crammed, you couldn't find anywhere to sit, it was just awful. Berlin, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.
Date VisitJune 2016

"small airport but long walks"

(China)

Berlin Schonefeld is one of the worst airports in a modern city. It has not changed much since the French sector days. Most aircrafts (mainly cheap flights) cannot park with a bridged station. You walk down stairs from the plane, then walk up to the first floor in the terminal, then walk down again, all with hand luggage up and down. Small airport but long walks. Remote to town (can take one hour)and the train station is almost 10 minutes away. Avoid if possible (unless you fly easyJet).
Date VisitJune 2016

"no long waiting times"

I landed at Berlin Schonefeld and departed from here again. The airport is small and I was expecting it to be better than TXL, it was but not much. After arrival leaving the airport was fast and there is a train station next to the airport which makes the transfer to the city center easy. When returning I had to wait at the airport for some time and theres not much to do here, it seems to be a temporary arrangement such as TXL until BER is finished. The departure and check-in areas are tiny, theres nothing to do, only a small restaurant in each area, a press shop and a duty free shop. Much in the airport looks like on interim basis. Only plus: no long waiting times. Next time I know there's not much difference between the two active airports in Berlin.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"a claustrophobic place"

(Portugal)

Berlin Schonefeld Airport is a claustrophobic place. The departures zone consist of a thin corridor where a huge number of passengers go back and forth. The security personnel are the rudest staff I have ever encountered. There also isn't enough chairs for passengers to sit on.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"one security lane open is a disgrace"

I've been to some badly run airports in my travels, but SXF is certainly in the top three. One thing you know at an airport is the number of passengers at 15 minute intervals throughout the day. Why at SXF do they pay no attention to this. One security screening lane open in Terminal B, at rush hour on Friday afternoon is a disgrace. I was a Terminal D passenger, but given that the security queue was longer than the queue for the Harrods sale, we were herded to Terminal B, where it was equally bad. Once airside, less than half of the departure boards were functioning. So all of the pax were congregating around those that did work. I know Berlin has a new airport opening in 2013, 14, 15, etc, but come on Berlin. Your airport is what we would expect in the third world, not what we expect from the so called leading EU nation.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"worst possible experience"

Worst possible experience. I missed my flight to Vienna today. Sounds like a general issue which could happen at any airport, but here's the difference. I was in the check-in line for an entire hour and in the security line for 45 mins. It should be noted that there was only one security gate open for all passengers on all flights. There were around 10 flights taking off around the same time. While I was going through security, they called my name for the first and last time. I ran to the gate indicated but easyJet staff said that the gate was closed and refused to call and check with security that I had indeed responded to the announcement. I ran from pillar to post for help, and no one was prepared to make one call to the concerned person. It took another 15 mins to return to the easyJet counter to report my case. The airport authorities refused to hear me out until I approached the security officials requesting them to show me the CCTV feed to show they had caused my delay (as I had checked in well within time). It was after my request that the airport authorities convinced easyJet to issue me a new ticket for the next day's flight. The turmoil didn't end here. My suitcase had already been checked in and I had to collect it from Lost and Found since I didn't board the flight. When I reached the Baggage Handling agent, they asked me to wait as they couldn't locate the bag. I asked them for a time estimate, but they weren't sure. I have waited for half an hour already while I'm writing this. I would strongly recommend avoiding this airport.
Date VisitDecember 2015

"small hall with a few shops"

(Poland)

When I arrived at this airport, I could not believe that I was in the capital of Germany. We were guided to a corridor which was like travelling back to the eastern bloc during the cold war - no beauty. We then got out to a small hall with a few shops. When we left the airport, again we took a long walk to the S-bahn stop. No one could believe that this was an airport in a capital city, let alone in Germany.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"rather provincial, rather than a capital city airport"

Arrived at Schonefeld on Monday evening (9/11/15) on an Easyjet flight from London Gatwick. Straight off plane, short walk along non-descript corridors. No queue at all at immigration, through in two minutes. Luggage took about 10-15 minutes to arrive. Another 5 minute walk to railway station - no staff on hand to help many tourists having problems, as machines don't accept most credit cards (except Maestro) and only accepted small euro notes and coins. Nice clean express train to centre of Berlin in around 35 minutes. On return journey, bit of confusion in terminal B, but seemed to be just Easyjet flights. Ignored person telling people not to join check-in queue (probably why it was almost empty) and moved into Speedy boarding lane. Thought Easjet staff were more sleepy than speedy. Off into another longer queue for immigration - took about ten minutes. Past security, the terminal is fairly basis, rather provincial, rather than a capital city airport. Duty Free shop, couple of cheaper eating places and an Irish pub. Announcements only made for flight delays and missing passengers. Had to walk through crowded pub and people sitting on floor in gangways and stairs to get to departure lounge. Though no big deal. Plane delayed on arrival and departure delayed - no announcement or reason given in lounge or by captain or crew on flight. Overall, I would still prefer Tegel as I would have a better choice of airlines and be able to use a lounge.
Date VisitNovember 2015