Berlin Schonefeld Airport

"dismissed by all security"

Not Verified | Disgusting behaviour of security and clueless check-in staff. Travelling with an infant I was treated with no respect, I needed guidance and help and was dismissed by all security. There is no information available and staff are so rude, it's beyond belief! It looked to me that the staff were not trained as they were clueless to give me any answer to any question I had. I travel around 3-4 times a year from that airport, and my experience was never as bad. It was the first time I've travelled with an infant on my own, and I've experience the worst possible behaviour. Customer service does not exist in this airport!
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"the worst airport by far"

(Norway)

Not Verified | I’ve been travelling quite a bit for the last 10 years and visited a few airports. Schoenefeld, however, must be said to be the worst airport by far! I could not have imagined it was possible to make it less user friendly and ineffetive. First of all there it is hard to even find the check-in, then you’d spend an hour in security checks as the staff are not even considering speeding up one bit. Next is to find the gates, or even a flight information table. If it was possible I’d give a negative rating..
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"something that you have to see to believe"

Not Verified | Possibly the worst airport I’ve ever used - no seating (people eating on the floor, lying next to shops) terrible selection of food and drinks outlets. It was truly something that you have to see to believe. This airport is not fit for purpose and I feel with the crowding issues is not acceptable - avoid at all cost!
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"Very bad security check experience"

Not Verified | Very bad security check experience. The staff lectured passengers despite a large queue amassing. Not a friendly word or any kindness shown on christmas day, but angry staff. They don't provide plastic bags for toiletries anymore, arguing 'you cannot expect us to have them' which is followed by 'law's need to be abided'. Like that helps in the setting of the airport security check-in when you are right at the assembly line. Constructiveness and problem solving skills are absent entirely. English language skills are lacking. Never again am I flying from this airport. If it was possible, I'd give negative stars in this review.

"airport extremely unpleasant"

Not Verified | Airport extremely unpleasant : few places to sit, dirty toilets, buildings of another time. You must really appreciate the nostalgia to find a positive point. Provided that the German capital will soon have an airport worthy of the name. | Aéroport extrêmement désagréable : peu de places pour s asseoir, toilettes sales, bâtiments d un autre temps. Il faut vraiment apprécier l ostalgie pour lui trouver un point positif. Pourvu que la capitale allemande se dote bientôt d un aéroport digne de ce nom.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"Staff are extremely rude and useless"

Not Verified | Be aware that this is one of the slowest airports in Europe and there are a lot of people, so this means that you may need more than 2 hours to pass all the check points and check-in. Staff are extremely rude and useless, there are not many people working at the security checkpoint so that makes the process extremely slow. Without doubt the worst airport in Germany and maybe the worst in central Europe.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"Departure was truly awful"

Trip Verified | We visited Berlin on a weekend break - arrival was ok, apart from the unsafe stairs put up to the plane front door (no stairs sent to back) which were wobbling to an extent where the crew had to get the ground staff to stabilise them. Hand luggage only so not much that can go wrong. Couldn't see signs for railway but managed to find it ourselves by going out of the building and seeing the really long (and cold) walkway to the station. Departure was truly awful. There was a hand luggage only terminal, good idea but it was closed. We went to terminal B where the check in desks were located, tried to go through security but was directed (along with other passengers) to Terminal A to do this. Once we got to the other terminal there was a long queue, one miserable woman scanning boarding cards and only two security lanes open. When we eventually got through it just got worse, rather than an airport for modern forward looking capital city it was more like some third world refugee centre. The few seats there had already been occupied, there was not even enough floor space to sit on as this was already full of people. Eventually we sat on the floor of one of the few small (overpriced) shops. When called to the gate we had to walk through Burger King and through a bar with people overflowing into the footways, then were herded into a chaotic holding area not set up for the budget experience. When we were just about to board the plane the set of stairs at the back let out loads of smoke (filling the plane with smoke) so had to be towed away and attended to by a fire engine. I never thought I'd say it but I was looking forward to getting back to Luton. There is a shiny new airport next to this dump that can't open among other reasons for fire safety issues - I can't believe that anyone would consider Schonefeld safe with the dangerous overcrowding. Berlin is a wonderful place but totally let down by this awful airport (worst I have experienced in the world).
Date VisitDecember 2017

"dirty, poorly designed, aged and depressing"

Trip Verified | The terminals are dirty, poorly designed, aged and depressing. I was being dealt with by a pleasant female security assistant in departures, at which point, an incredibly aggressive and rude individual took over, grabbed my bag and shook it - asking if there was a computer inside. There was not as established by the pleasant lady just seconds before. He chucked it down and pushed it through the scanner. He grabbed my coat and other bag and threw them on the scanner belt too. I have never experienced such abhorrent, rude and discourteous staff at any airport in my life. My possessions were subject to a random explosives / drugs test - which is of course absolutely fine and good practice. The tester lifted my top up and rubbed my belt without even explaining he was going to do that - frankly, unacceptable. The run from Terminal D to A felt as if we were running through a prison. I will use Tegel, should I return to Berlin.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"So ignorant and unhelpful"

Trip Verified | This airport has single handedly made me want to vow never to return to Berlin again. Never in my life have I met such a disgruntled, rude, nasty and so rude that I feel the need to say rude again, group of staff. So ignorant and unhelpful. We were directed to ‘Terminal D’ to check in for our flight, but then found out that 'gate 62' where we needed to board the plane, was in ‘Terminal A’ so had to leg it through 4 terminals! When we got there the lady said ‘oh hello, I’ve been told to send you back to security (in terminal D!) as there is something in your bag that we need to talk to you about’ - so with 10 minutes to spare before the gate closed I sprinted back to Terminal D, arriving just in time before my heart packed in, only to be told ‘oh it’s okay we don’t need you anymore’. So off I went sprinting back to Terminal A with seconds to spare before the gate closed - I was under no illusion that given how awful the staff were here, if the gate closed before I had arrived back they would have made me miss my flight and wait until the next one, in the morning! The airport ruined our trip to Berlin and I left angry and with a reduced lung capacity. Avoid this place at all costs.

"Staff are so rude"

Unverified | Staff are so rude. Security staff are intimidating and just horrible. The human factor in this airport does not exist. It's by far the worst airport I have ever experienced. The respect is basically worse than a farm yard animal. Maybe passengers should go through SXF making sheep and cow noises then that would equate to the way we are treated. Absolutely shocking airport.