Berlin Schonefeld Airport

Review by (United Kingdom)

Well - maybe it's not the best and the most comfortable airport in the world, but you get what you pay for. The most shocking is one of the reviewers complaining that he was screened with no explanation - that's actually a good thing and you should be happy they actually care about our safety. Many Brits are moaning but Stansted is not any better, poor service, queues everywhere, border control officers and security far from polite. Why people don't understand that they're not here to smile to us - they are here to make sure travelling will be as safe as possible. I am happy when they take me for extra security checks, if you have nothing to hide, why would you stress about it? All in all - many of us forget that airports are like bus and train stations, you use it to fly, not to make friends with security.
Date VisitAugust 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

I have used this airport on three trips to Berlin and it is by far the worst I have experienced. The airport itself needs a good clean. The staff are poorly trained and rude. However as a wheelchair user the treatment I received was the worst I have had at any airport and I travel a lot. Made to sit and wait for long periods without being updated on when staff would arrive to take me to departure Gate. I don't need help in getting to Gate but as not even given the option. Was left sitting in the ambulift for over 20 minutes alone in baking heat whilst waiting to board the plane. It ruined my holiday. I love Berlin and think it is one of the best cities in Europe to visit but I won't go there again if I have to use Schonefeld. A truly dreadful experience.
Date VisitMay 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

Well I thought I had the wrong Terminal (terminal D), I arrived slightly early for my flight to London (evening Ryanair flight). There was nowhere to get hot food or drinks landside. I did ask the shop assistant at the shop which was open and he explained that the terminal will come to life nearer departure time. About 3 hours before departure the security check opened and I was frog marched by a female member of staff to a room to have my laptop and tablet swab tested. She did not explain what was going on and her male colleague just did the test. The café airside was open but the staff were more interested in talking to each other than serving customers. The shops were a different ball game attentive friendly staff. When the flight gate was called it was in terminal A which was a route march away from terminal D. At the gate you were subjected to a baggage weight, size check by the staff who were hell bent on catching as many as possible. They even tried to collect Priority Boarding fees from people who sat the wrong side of the room. Yes terminal D is a modern terminal but I got the impression that it is under used at the moment.
Date VisitJuly 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

No change here and still virtually no seating past security. Hot and sticky on a warm day. A door had been opened to provide air conditioning. Tantalising views of the new airport as they were using one of its runways due to maintenance causing a very long taxi to and from the stands.
Date VisitMay 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

This airport is seriously unpleasant we experienced a very lengthy queue at the absurd baggage screening before you check in yes before you check in! Another lengthy queue to check in then another lengthy queue for security then a long walk to the gate. A very unattractive airport with inadequate seating and poor facilities. This was my first encounter with Berlin Schonefeld and certainly my last as I will never fly to or from this airport again.

Review by (United Kingdom)

After reading other reviews it appears I am not alone. Definitely the worst airport I have experienced. The facilities are shocking. Staff are simply rude. I am sitting in a cafe called Marche. Seems clean enough but check out the ceiling space above the food prep area. All that is landing in your food! The owners / operators of this place should be ashamed.

Review by (France)

I guess their way of solving the lack of facilities is not to allow people in sooner than 2 hours before the flight which by the way I haven't seen published. On their site on boarding passes anywhere. It's ridiculous I had a VIP lounge pass which I couldn't use because the lounge was airside so I couldn't get to it. I had to wait outside where the seating is also lacking and the smell of food nauseating. It's a disgrace for a capital like Berlin. German people should be ashamed of such an airport. They are not able to have a decent airport built the new one is expected to be finished in 2017!
Queuing Times N/A
Terminal Cleanliness N/A
Airport Shopping N/A

Review by (United Kingdom)

Just returned from five day trip to Berlin and once again flew through this deplorable airport. Have been here several times but continue to be amazed at this dump. Slow check-in (an hour) slow security (over 45 minutes you have been warned!). If you are infirm disabled elderly have children etc. you will find long walks no lifts all the seating areas full dirty toilets horrible food. Oh yes the duty-free areas are clean modern well-lit and welcoming. Don't let this fool you. It is the only place in this black hole that is. Would it be so much to expect a few extra cheap plastic seats so that you don't have to sit on the floor? Is it even possible for the ceiling fans to be operational and they are there because I have seen them to be used so that the departure gates aren't unbearably hot even in winter? Oh yes and once you make your way to/from the trains you have another long walk outside up and down ramps no lifts no escalators. Nothing ever changes here so I don't imagine anyone reads any of these reviews and if they do they have a good laugh because they are sadists. They must be to allow the state of things at this so-called airport to continue. Give this a wide berth if at all possible. As for the managers/owners of this airport and all the airlines using it you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Review by (Ireland)

This is quite possibly the worst airport I have ever used. On arrival in the airport there was a strong sewage smell on the apron. The police officers at passport control were wordless and unsmiling (although on the return flight from Berlin this was different). The toilets in arrivals were very small dirty and there was an overpowering smell (not a pleasant one). On a positive note you do get out of the airport very quickly as it is so small. For the return flight the check in queue did not move for ages. The airside/shopping area was cramped and far too hot. There was far too many people in this area considering the size of the airport. The airport is clearly not intended for this amount of passengers as there is very little seating areas so most people had to sit on the floor. The new Brandenburg airport is much needed!

Review by (United Kingdom)

Woefully poor airport. Echo the comments elsewhere that there's really inadequate seating long queues through security but the worst bit easily is the lack of lifts/ escalators everything is designed here that you're able to walk! So forget it if you've got a buggy or you're in a wheelchair! Staff couldn't care less. Airport is like a shed. The exception being of course the duty free shop where it seems no expense has been spared to get you to part with your cash! I know the budget airlines fly from here and this airport will be defunct when the new combined Berlin airport is built but it's really at the cheap end of cheap!