Best Economy Class Seats

XL Airways France

"budget airline with minimal service"

Los Angeles to Paris CDG with XL Airways. This is a budget airline with minimal service. If you can accept no frills service of getting you to your destination then this might be for you. If you are used to full service airlines such as American, Delta, Southwest, United etc then don't take this airline unless you can deal with the following - narrow seats, poor customer service, difficult website, very restrictive baggage weights. We did it. It worked for us. We kept our bags to 20 kg checked (42 lbs) and 11 lbs (cabin) I strongly suggest you buy a travel scale for like $6 from Amazon. We made a mistake and paid extra for the exit row on our outbound flight. Lots of leg room, but the arm rests are fixed and don't go up like in all other rows. This loses you 2.5 inches in width. Having those extra inches helps. Our flight was only 2/3 full and most people don't pay for the seat selection. I suggest you do. Getting pinned into a middle seat or window seat and having to climb over someone on the tight seats is tough. This was the cheapest ticket for the busy summer season at $1120 round trip. My rating is low because service does matter. Website is poor in my opinion. We could not book return flight seats without calling airline since website did not let us do it after we booked outbound flight seats. Our steward during outbound flight was only capable of handing out meals. Had minimal English capability. Overall summary, if you are experienced traveler and need low cost, then this may work for you if you read up on what has gone wrong for others and avoid their mistakes. I hear all the airlines are shrinking seats (I don't travel much anymore), but 17 inch seat width is the smallest I have ever had and was the smallest seat I could physically squeeze my 270 lb body into without having to ask for a second seat.
AircraftA330-200
RouteLAX to CDG
Date FlownJune 2016

"service was really good"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Paris with XL Airways France. I was really concerned after reading all the negative reviews and was pleasantly surprised to have a good experience. There were 3 of us and the money savings was a lot. Since we saved so much, I upgraded our seats to more legroom, very reasonably priced. On the way back, we were able to get an emergency row for the 3 of us, $50 each. The service going and coming back was really good. We had a meal, snacks, coffee, tea, and water free. Of course, there was other stuff for sale like on all flights. Legroom in general is not that different from most of the major US airlines, seat width is pretty narrow. The video entertainment is bad, but they do rent tablets with videos, games and documentaries for €10.00, well worth it. Even with all the extras, it was still a big savings. The worst part of XL is their online booking. It's easy to book your tickets, but if you have any questions, forget getting hold of someone. Reserving your seats - only if your lucky. I was able to book our seats about 3 weeks before our trip from SFO to Paris, but not return. When we went to the airport to check in I asked about getting return seats, they said ask in Paris, they couldnt. Paris said, you can't reserve seats until day of flight. We got to the airport about 2.5 hours prior to flight and easily reserved our seats. On our departure flight I noticed a lot of people angry about an extra charge for overweight luggage. Its shown everywhere what the weight limit is, so we didnt have any issues. The weight limit is very reasonable, 44lbs for a check in bag (no charge) and 5kg which is about 11lbs for carry on. If you've got the money to spend at least $400 and more for each ticket for an airlines with more frills go for it, but I think you would have to pay at least $600 more to really feel the difference. ** WAITING FOR TICKET **
RouteSFO to CDG

"no service whatsoever"

Flew XL Airways France from Paris CDG to Miami. The price could not be beat, but you get what you pay for. After they served the meal, about an hour into the flight, all of the flight attendants disappeared for 4 hours. People kept pressing the call buttons and nobody showed up. I kept pressing mine and someone would turn it off after a little while, no service whatsoever. They will not bring you water, you have to get up and get it yourself in the middle area. They don't have TVs but offer tablet rentals. I tried to rent one but they only had 20 or so for the entire flight, so with only a few people ahead of me for one, I didn't get one. I had to sit there bored for 9 hours. Your flight comes with nothing, you have to pay for everything, including snacks, and a blanket. They have outlets under the seats but they don't work, nobody's outlet worked.
RouteCDG to MIA
Date FlownJune 2016

"pay for extra legroom seat"

Flew New York JFK to Paris CDG in May 2015. I would fly them again but take my advice and pay the extra $50 for an extra legroom seat. For the amount of money you save by flying XL Airways over the competitors, the $50 is a worthy splurge. Both flights were on time. Fare was a steal at $700. I haven't seen anything this cheap in years. Staff was extremely professional, both in flight and gate staff. Plane was in good condition. Tiny seats, I am 5'3" and didn't have too much problem. However my boyfriend is 6'0" and was miserable. The passenger in front reclined his seat and was basically sitting in my boyfriend's lap for 7 hours. Their website is horrible - after the first leg of my trip, I wised up and was trying to reserve extra legroom seats on the website but kept getting error messages and ultimately was not able to. This was absolutely infuriating. After all those errors on the website, I tried to call their customer service for help but only got voicemail. Absolutely infuriating. Good luck if you need any help after you book. No inflight entertainment. The power outlet at our seats worked only intermittently. Make every effort to charge your devices before boarding the plane.
Date FlownMay 2015

"disregard for customer service"

New York to Paris. Our 9.30pm flight was delayed one hour, without explanation, then another hour and moved to another gate, again with no explanation. Then the flight was delayed another hour or so again, no explanation. Boarding of the flight began, and then the flight was cancelled - without explanation at 11:45 p.m. The staff asked for patience, but no information was given to the passengers until after 1:00 am. The reason for the cancellation was that the airline overworked the flight crew. This is something that could have been determined by 8:00pm, but the majority of the passengers did not get a hotel until 3:00 am due to the overwhelming incompetence of the staff of this airline. They did not assist, offer information, they were rude, condescending and complained to the rightly frustrated customers that we were somehow ungrateful for their efforts to not get us to Paris on Christmas Eve. I've never seen such an impressive display of incompetence, and such rampant disregard for the most basic notion of customer service.
Date FlownDecember 2015

"20 hours later than schedule"

My daughter booked a one-way trip to Paris. XL Airways France was the clear cheapest ($500 instead of $1800). Before leaving for the airport we checked online that the flight was still scheduled on time. Arriving at the airport it was scheduled with a 2-hour delay. Check-in was fine. We knew they were very strict with luggage size and weight so we had been careful when packing. Eventually the flight boarded on time but the plane did not leave the gate. After waiting for two hours, we were told that passengers were missing and they had to deplane the aircraft and everybody had to take their luggage back. The plane would leave the following day. We go back to the airport the following day. Plane finally left JFK but it did not go to Paris as planned it first stopped in Montreal to pick up crew members. Flight finally arrived in Paris 3 hours later than the revised arrival time (ie 20 hours later than the original schedule).
Date FlownDecember 2015

"unimaginably rude and unfair"

I purchased 2 JFK-Paris tickets from XL Airways on their site in August 2014, and paid with my credit card. 5 minutes later I received the e-tickets in my email and they were for Paris-JFK. I called them immediately and they told me I should call their booking office in Paris. After getting the runaround to obtain their phone number, I managed to talk to a lady in France and I explained to her that I live in New York and I will be leaving from JFK. I asked her to reverse the itinerary, to make it JFK-Paris. She said there was nothing she could do about it and that she will submit the request to her boss. After many calls, I got from them an email address where I should send my request to correct the itinerary; which I did. After 4 or 5 days they replied to deny my request. However, after calling many more times, they agreed that if I buy 2 new tickets (JFK-Paris) from their site and send them the proof of it (?) they would reimburse me for the erroneously issued tickets for Paris-JFK. I bought 2 new tickets from their site, mind you each at $200 more than the initial ticket price, and sent them the proof of purchase, and they reimbursed me. The day of departure, at check in, they informed me that they only allow 40 lb per ticket (instead of the usual 50 lb per ticket) and they charged me $140 for the 20 lb excess baggage. On the plane, you get charged $14 for a blanket, $7 per drink, and $5 for earphone to listen to music or movie. When I initially bought my tickets from them, I thought I had a good deal, saving $300 on 2 tickets over Air France's price. However, XL Airways were unimaginably rude and unfair, and they will find every excuse to deny you your due to charge you more, and likely incentivise their employees to extract the max from clients. At the end it was mega bad deal as it cost me $250 more than if I flew with Air France and minus AF courteous service and always ready to accommodate you attitude and the perks on board: super food, good wine and free blankets, earphones, movies etc.
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"anyone had this kind of problem"

I can't complain about the flight itself due to the price. I live in Paris and have double nationality. However, I was traveling on my American passport (as one is obliged to do when traveling to the US) and when I got to JFK for my return flight to Paris, XL Airways France to give me a boarding pass unless I produced a french passport, which I had not brought with me. To my surprise, my french identity card had expired in July. XL Airways forced me to buy a return ticket to the US (which I will not be able to use) or wouldn't allow me on my return flight. They said that I risked being sent back to the US. I have flown in and out of Paris for 25 years using my US passport without problem - and this trip was the same; the french authorities stamped my US passport with no question. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with XL Airways or any other airline?
RouteNYC to Paris
Date FlownOctober 2015

"very small and hard seats"

On an economy flight you should not expect to much. But you should expect something. It starts with not being able to check in and print boarding passes on line. Next, if your not aware, please note that luggage weight limit is 44 lbs not the standard 50. Very little assistance for the disabled. They offer everything you may need, at a price. Pillows, blankets, drinks (water free, meal) all at substantial cost. Worst though are the very small and hard seats. Most uncomfortable flight in my life. Attendents slow to respond to any request unless your buying something. On the positive, flight was on time. Never fly again with XL.
RouteNew York to Paris
Date FlownOctober 2015

"experience was great"

I flew XL Airways France from New York to Paris and back, returning on Sunday Septemeber 27th into JFK. The airline had an extremely friendly crew on both leg, the inflight food was up to standard, and the flights departed as scheduled. The whole experience with this airline was great. I will say this much I rarely give reviews, I felt impelled to share my personal experience which was 100% pleasant.
RouteJFK to Paris