XL Airways France

"seats were terribly uncomfortable"

Verified Review | Flew New York JFK to Paris CDG. Worst airline ever that I have ever flown with. The seats were terribly uncomfortable, there is no amount of perks that can be had that offsets this. I almost thought it was me that was the problem but after flying with 3 other airlines on our European trip it was XL that was the problem. We flew with 3 other airlines and confirmed that XL Airways one of the worst airlines we have ever used. Choice between XL and walking, I'm walking.
AircraftA330-300
RouteNew York JFK to Paris CDG
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Value for money is excellent"

Verified Review | Miami to Paris. So reading most of the other reviews I was expecting the worst when I boarded XL Airways. If you have been flying for the last 30 years it is a just like going back to the 90s. No screen with individual entertainment. Pros: Food was good as well as price and staff. Cons: If you want a pillow and decent blanket you have to pay 8 euros for it. It's a low cost airline so what do you expect. Value for money is excellent.
RouteMiami to Paris
Date FlownAugust 2017

"attentive and very friendly"

Verified Review | Paris to Los Angeles. I was skeptical about flying with this airline before I booked. I had read prior reviews and the ratings were very low. I felt that I should contribute with regards to the overall service that I received from XL Airways. My fare was excellent. I paid more for connecting within Europe then flying across the world. Crew, attentive and very friendly. I received lunch, dinner and snack, as well as headphones. Basic water, tea and coffee provided with meals and throughout the flight. Anything else, needed to be paid for. I understood that before I booked. It's a low cost airline so basic caffinated drinks and or specialty drinks as well as blankets incur an extra charge. The blanket came in a colorful pouch with a blow up half moon pillow and eye mask, for 8 Euros. Credit cards are accepted onboard. They provided duty free purchases before landing. As for Internet, there was a fee to watch movies and listen to music for 9.95. You needed to download the airlines app before departure. If you didn't want to purchase internet to view and listen to music/movies, the aircraft did have three tv's on the plane, in which they played 3 movies and a travel documentary on a particular destination for the long flight. I found the movies entertaining and family oriented. The seats were comfortable for me but of course just average, it's economy class. So please consider this if you are tall! If you need extra legroom, economy plus for an extra fee is available before confirming your flight. The aircraft was very clean and facilities were positioned properly on the aircraft with several almost available at a time. The last check-in was an hour before departure, so get there early. No exceptions are made and is a strict policy that the airline adheres to. I witnessed two customers that tried checking in 6 mins after the airline closed the check in counters and were still denied check in. As for carry on, strict 5kg allowance, one personal hand bag and one carry on only. If you exceeded the 5kg weight, the bag is checked to your destination but with no additional fee to do so, which is nice. I'll definitely use XL Airways again in the future. I found the airline to be great for the overall. I was very pleased with their services! I have a disability and the crew was wonderful in accommodating me and making sure I had proper assistance before boarding and when we arrived to the final destination. Thank you for a pleasant flight.
RouteParis to Los Angeles

"Worst experience ever!"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Paris CDG. Worst experience ever! My husband's legs (lean built - 5 foot 9 inch) wouldn't fit in! His legs bent sideways. This has never happened in any economy class flights. Vegetarian meal is considered a "special" meal. Its an additional $14 per person. There is extra charge for every little thing ($3-$15) for snacks, soft drinks, chips, cookies etc. Additional charge to book seats beforehand. Husband paid $75 extra to sit in "exit" row. Cabin crew was nice and friendly but a smiley face doesn't alleviate the extreme discomfort. Long lines to get boarding pass. We were in line for an 1 hour 10 minutes even though we reached airport 3 hours early. No seat back TV/screens. No plug point to charge phone/ tablet.
RouteSan Francisco to Paris CDG

"the aircraft was dirty"

Verified Review | Paris to San Francisco, the aircraft was dirty, thetable was broken on my girlfriend's seat, no in-seat entertainment on long haul flights so be prepared to have a tablet or other form of screen support. Otherwise you can rent an IPAD from the airline however make sure you ask for one as you sit down since they don't have enough for everyone.. The inbound flight was just as dirty - this time no IPADs to rent as none had been charged up from previous flight, my seat was broken in the recline position and the armrests were broken.
RouteParis to San Francisco
Date FlownAugust 2017

"really a great experience"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Paris. I was a bit nervous using this airline. I did a ton of research and looked for reviews and couldn't really find reviews base off the experience of their airline. Some of these reviews for XL I feel are from people that expected too much for a budget airline. I read the instructions and recommendations from their website, which I would read entirely to help you have a better experience. When I arrived at the airport I had my boarding pass printed before hand and was quickly greeted by an XL employee. They checked my passport and they checked the weight and size of my luggage. I had to check my luggage in the system, because the weight was too high. Upon boarding I was greeted by a very professional and flight attendants who spoke English and French. They realized I didn't speak French and directed me to my seat. Upon departing they did the standard procedures in French and English for departure. During the flight they provided a blanket, earplugs, water and a free meal! This is a very French airline and the food was very French and flavorful. They were very accommodating for refills of water, tea, and coffee that were free. The airplane itself is older so there is no WIFI onboard for internet. I was not disappointed, because they did provide a free movie and I also had my IPad. I would recommend you take a portable charger for your phone, tablet, or laptop. There are not electrical plugs on the seats for your electronic devices. Throughout the trip the flight attendants were on point and made sure the restrooms were cleaned and that passengers were comfortable. Considering the price I paid for the ticket this is a great value! This is a budget airline and for the overall package this was really a great experience.
RouteSan Francisco to Paris
Date FlownJuly 2017

"I am horrified by the service"

Verified Review | If you are tempted to fly with this airline because of the wonderful price do not do it. The flight out to Paris was wonderful. The plane was empty so everyone had their own row to relax. The troubles didn't start until we arrived in Paris. On our flight to Paris they lost our babies car seat. When we went to check in today the lady at the counter was rude and unfriendly. We handed her 5 passports. Three for adults and two children. We had 4 bags to check in a stroller and we had our 2 year olds car seat. We have a double stroller. I was holding our ten month old and our two year old was sleeping in the stroller. In San Francisco they put stickers on all three pieces because the stroller breaks down into three pieces. When we told her that the stroller did that she rolled her eyes and said really. Then we tried to check in our two year olds car seat she said nope you can't take it, or you have to pay for it. When I explained they hadn't charged us for it in San Francisco she said well that is San Francisco. She then called the airline and they said we had to pay 50€ for the seat. She told us we had to go to a separate counter to pay then come back to her. As we were leaving she said wait let me put the stickers on the stroller. As she was putting the sticker on one of the pieces she noticed our daughter and said oh you have another child, we said yes, you have her passport to which she then said oh you don't have to pay anymore. Instead of apologizing she just said your finished. We upgraded to seats 4 thinking they would be wonderful seats because of our previous flight. But the seats had less space than before! They were so uncomfortable! Especially having a twenty pound baby on your lap. There was a section in front of us nobody knew was available. When I finally got the attention again of a stewardess the doors were being closed and she said that I needed to go to the gate to pay. What kind of airline charges for everything other than water, coffee and tea but wont let you buy up a seat? There were 8 seats open! Those seats remained open all flight. Our ten month old was walking back and forth in front of our seats holding onto the seats. We didn't notice but there was an ashtray in our daughters seat. In it was trash with liquid and food. It stuck and was disgusting. Our son put his hand in it. When I asked the stewardess to do something about it, she said you think it's my problem? I said to her I am not saying you own the airplane but you are the only one who's really able to do anything because you have the access to things to clean it. She rolled her eyes at me. 6 minutes later another stewardess came with gloves and took out the trash and in the process got liquid on us and said there I got everything. She went and got a napkin dabbed and said there I am done and walked away. 6th thing, for a couple hours service was non existent. We were trying to make a bottle for our ten month old so he could sleep and we pushed the service button but nobody came for 30 minutes. I am horrified by the service.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSan Francisco to Paris CDG
Date FlownJuly 2017

"nice and smiling staff"

Verified Review | Flight Los Angeles - Paris with XL Airways. June 2017. First of all, when rating a low cost airline, I need to compare it to other low cost airlines and not to Emirates for example. When you book low cost, you should know what to expect: you know that for such a low price, you're not gonna have the high quality you want (for that, you go with Air France and pay $1,500 instead of $600). So, that being said, for a low cost airline XL is really good on several points, but of course some are not. Good points: - the free checked-in bag! Yes, that makes the whole difference, because most low cost airlines makes you pay for it, which then drags the final price up. So that was appreciated. The free meals in-flight. We were given full meals in flight. In addition to that, we were given free coffee / tea, and refreshments as well. Only alcohol is in addition. Food quality: good! I will not say amazing, no, but for in-flight food, it's pretty good. Very similar to the food quality you will get in Air France flights. This is because XL Airways is a French airline, so good products. Trust me after this you will be full, but if you want more, they have a menu with French items, delicious. - the staff. The staff was amazing, really. I think the best service I had on a flight. They are not after you to buy things (which I experienced in most low cost airlines). They were so helpful and dedicated. They give you extra bread, and do not hesitate to serve you twice for refreshment when asked. Overall very nice and smiling staff. Negative points - the seats. I would say the seats are my main and only complaint. They are very tiny, and not too comfortable. I'm a small size woman, so it was ok for me, but the poor guy seating next to me had a hard time. His knees were literally touching the seat up front, so not the best for a long haul flight. This is where you feel that you are in a low cost airline in case you forgot, here's the reminder. - the in-flight entertainment. So, they don't have in-seat screens. However, they do have in-flight entertainment through iPads or other devices. You can access their entertainment through your computer, or they rent iPads for $15 (which also include the premium package). Not a big selection of movies, but enough for a long haul flight. Personally, I enjoyed reading a book better, and also download my own favorite series before leaving to enjoy during the flight. Overall: for the price, I will use this airline again. Mainly because I do a lot of Los Angeles-Paris, and the direct flight, with checked in baggage and meals included is just awesome..
RouteLos Angeles to Paris

"pleasantly surprised"

Verified Review | I was pleasantly surprised by XL Airways after all the critical reviews. The aircraft from Los Angeles to Paris was clean, the attendants were very involved throughout the 10 hour flight (and were pleasant as well), and the flight itself was smooth. Yes the seats are crammed in there and the entertainment is not great. There is wifi and you can watch movies on your iPad. (They also rent ipad minis for $20 so bring your own!). I read a little and tried to sleep so this wasn't a deal breaker for me given the reasonable fare. If want more leg room, you pay dearly ($70 extra) but this is worth it for me. We left and arrived on time which adds a star. I actually found it a much more pleasant experience than my super expensive Air France flight last year. I would fly them again for sure.
RouteLos Angeles to Paris
Date FlownJune 2017

"pilot did an excellent job"

Verified Review | After reading all the reviews about XL Airways and learning that they have 3-4 planes in their entire fleet, I was extremely anxious. We arrived at JFK 3 hours early and were among the first in line to check in. After waiting in line for an hour, we made it to the counter where our back bags and checked bags were carefully weighed. Thank goodness, we were all underneath the required mass. The plane was boarded and we we got on the electricity went completely out but in a few minutes, we were on our way. The pilot did an excellent job piloting the plane and even though we took off late, we made it close to our normal time. After spending a few days in Paris, we went back to check in to our return flight but they had already boarded and we missed our flight. We tried calling customer service but only got a recording and wasn't until the next day that we found out we would have to purchase a one way ticket home. On the way back after Checking in for our one way flight back to the US, the woman at the counter was not sympathetic just said so sorry. We did make it home safely and once again the pilot did an excellent job. Bottom Line: I would take this airline again but make sure that I made the flight next time because you will not be compensated or offered a discount. By the way, I thought the food served on board was really good! We were served breakfast about an hour before our flight landed in Paris and dinner an hour or so into our flight on the way back.
RouteNew York to Paris CDG