XL Airways France

Review by (United States) 16th May 2015

XL Airways provided a great service for the price. I am not skinny by any definition and am 6ft 1 but the seats were as comfortable as economy on any of the big name carriers. Staff was professional and genuinely seemed to want to make the 7.5 hr flight as comfortable as possible. If your budget stretches to first class on one of the major carriers with a comfortable bed and Michelin starred dining then you shouldn't be booking on XL Airways France if on the other hand your budget would normally have you in steerage on any of the other airlines and you want to save money to do something fun at your destination book XL Airways.

Review by (United States) 15th August 2014

My sister and I flew to and from JFK to Paris (CDG) this past weekend and had an excellent experience. All the processes from checking-in to customer service to inflight to claiming our luggage to doing it all over again on our way back were flawless. I was impressed at the level of professionalism the airline's personnel exhibit. Our flight was on time out of JFK and 10 minutes late out CDG. Both ways we arrived on time. Our luggage was not lost but instead it was delivered promptly and with all the contents. The seats are just like any other airline. They're small yes. They are comfortable enough I chose to sit in the middle and do not regret it. The food is airplane food. Any real traveler knows what that means. It doesn't come from a 5-star restaurant nor is it cooked by a Michelin star awarded chef. But it's not bad either. The inflight entertainment was good too. We watched 3 movies we very much enjoyed and had no technical problems with the entertainment system. Our experience was much better those I've had with the big names. I would fly again with this airline.

Review by (Luxembourg) 3rd August 2014

Most of my party was on XLF1670 CDG-PTP 28th June. There was a notification late the evening before that the flight would be "late". By arrival at the airport it was confirmed that indeed it was - by 3 days. Absolute chaos at CDG with XL's systems falling apart not enough staff all but one of those standing around doing nothing all information entered by hand since they had no method to get passengers accommodation etc. I'm lucky in that I was able to rebook via Air France (amazingly XL did reimburse for their failure). The rest of my party was on the same flight but on 1st July. Nine hours of delay arrival at 04.30. Summary: XL doesn't have as many planes as they book flights for. They hire in planes as far as can be seen wherever obtainable on the charter market. If the supplying airline has problems - the 1st July flight was on an antique jumbo - XL will just not bother flying. If you want to save a little on the flight cost - assuming you can actually buy at a price which is first visible - be aware that there is a high chance it will go wrong.
Seat Comfort N/A
Cabin Staff Service N/A

Review by (United States) 3rd August 2014

We traveled from JFK to Paris the flight was on time the staff more than friendly. Our baggage was over and didn't charge us a dime extra each of my 3 children were entertained by movies TV shows or music that was provided by individual screens. The food was nothing but typical airline food! Really what do you expect? Eat a good meal prior to your flight. We arrived on time as for as charging for water that is ludicrous! They walked around the entire time offering water! Our experience on the way back was exactly the same. Very satisfied. I would save the money and use it for your destination.

Review by (United States) 3rd July 2014

Just had a round trip MIA-CDG / CDG MIA. I cannot complain about anything. The timing was right very clean. Yes no inflight entertainment but who does not have some sort of personal electronic device these days. Got my iPad uploaded 4 movies for the trip and everything went fine. The crew was very polite. The food? Way better than AA. I was able to upgrade to the Galaxy seating option. Not the equivalent of a full first class accommodation yet very comfortable with a very good service. The price overall was not bad upgrade included!
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

Review by (United States) 3rd July 2014

This is a no frills operation but they do it right. The on board staff was friendly and courteous and the plane was clean. We traveled from JFK to Paris and returned after 10 days. It was difficult to hear and see the movies they played but for those who read this is not a problem. The seats seemed small and not well padded. The planes took off and arrived on time - a big plus and we did not have to wait long for our luggage. The woman who checked us in in Paris was exceptionally nice. No complaints and I would use this airline again.

Review by (United States) 18th June 2014

14 June 2014 flight 60 CDG-JFK. Absolutely hands down the worst airline in business. They charge for everything from choosing your seat after booking to a cup of coffee onboard. The seats are small and hard and there is very limited inflight entertainment. Food is limited and tasteless. This airline runs only in the summer and it's obvious. Save your time and sanity! Book on a regular airline. FYI New York JFK only adds to the misery.

Review by (France) 26th May 2014

Flight SE0056 and SE0077: What an exciting experience. If you are into Buddhism and things such as just sitting there and letting the time pass a XL Airways France flight will just be the very experience you have been waiting for all your life. There was a 3.5 hour delay on my flight from Paris to Cancun which could only be topped by a 4 hour delay on the way back. I have been offered a 15 USD meal voucher on the way back but not on the way out. My seat was broken. On the way out the plane could not depart because of a technical problems and an ongoing inspection which built up my confidence in the French authorities but not in the airline. The staff were friendly and made considerable efforts to make the trip pleasant. However for what is was the price was completely exaggerated. I have chosen XL Airways France because they offered a direct flight to my destination which I thought would safe me time. I could have had a one stop flight with higher comfort and at lower price operated by Air France. Eventually this would have been the better decision.

Review by (United States) 21st May 2014

JFK to CDG return on XL Airways last week. Was a little nervous after the reviews I had read but it was a very good experience. Got to JFK 2.5 hrs early just to be safe and had about a 15 minute wait at check-in. The staff was very courteous and the check-in process was very easy. The plane was a new A330 which was quite nice. The seats were narrow but nicely appointed with blue leather. My wife and I managed to get 3 seats to ourselves which made the red-eye a more pleasant experience. Attendants were very nice and the plane took off right on time. They showed 2 movies in French with English subtitles. It made the cabin quite bright so I would have brought an eye mask to help me sleep. We were fed a breakfast an hour before landing and arrived right on time. Luggage came out quickly. On the way back the plane was not as full and at check-in we were able to get and aisle and window seat with the middle blocked out. Which made for another comfortable flight. All in all it was a very good experience. It definitely is a step below most carriers in terms of amenities but the plane was clean new and the staff very helpful. And we saved $500 per ticket for a direct flight.

Review by (United States) 20th December 2013

My trip from CDG to JFK was a disaster. After an 8.5 hr flight we sat on the runway for 1 hour because there was nowhere to park according to the pilot. After getting through customs it took nearly 30 minutes for the bag carousel to start. So about an hour and 45 minutes after landing I finally get my bag. My girlfriends bag wasn't in the first round of bags. We had to wait another half an hour before the carousel started up again. I can only assume they have one cart and a small group of bag handlers. In short we landed at 10pm and left the airport at 12.40. I will pay for a real airline in the future - it's worth the extra few hundred bucks. On top of that the seats are very small and have zero leg room the inflight entertainment was poor and they charged me for a half a cup of soda.