XL Airways France

"Worst experience ever!"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Paris CDG. Worst experience ever! My husband's legs (lean built - 5 foot 9 inch) wouldn't fit in! His legs bent sideways. This has never happened in any economy class flights. Vegetarian meal is considered a "special" meal. Its an additional $14 per person. There is extra charge for every little thing ($3-$15) for snacks, soft drinks, chips, cookies etc. Additional charge to book seats beforehand. Husband paid $75 extra to sit in "exit" row. Cabin crew was nice and friendly but a smiley face doesn't alleviate the extreme discomfort. Long lines to get boarding pass. We were in line for an 1 hour 10 minutes even though we reached airport 3 hours early. No seat back TV/screens. No plug point to charge phone/ tablet.
RouteSan Francisco to Paris CDG

"the aircraft was dirty"

Verified Review | Paris to San Francisco, the aircraft was dirty, thetable was broken on my girlfriend's seat, no in-seat entertainment on long haul flights so be prepared to have a tablet or other form of screen support. Otherwise you can rent an IPAD from the airline however make sure you ask for one as you sit down since they don't have enough for everyone.. The inbound flight was just as dirty - this time no IPADs to rent as none had been charged up from previous flight, my seat was broken in the recline position and the armrests were broken.
RouteParis to San Francisco
Date FlownAugust 2017

"really a great experience"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Paris. I was a bit nervous using this airline. I did a ton of research and looked for reviews and couldn't really find reviews base off the experience of their airline. Some of these reviews for XL I feel are from people that expected too much for a budget airline. I read the instructions and recommendations from their website, which I would read entirely to help you have a better experience. When I arrived at the airport I had my boarding pass printed before hand and was quickly greeted by an XL employee. They checked my passport and they checked the weight and size of my luggage. I had to check my luggage in the system, because the weight was too high. Upon boarding I was greeted by a very professional and flight attendants who spoke English and French. They realized I didn't speak French and directed me to my seat. Upon departing they did the standard procedures in French and English for departure. During the flight they provided a blanket, earplugs, water and a free meal! This is a very French airline and the food was very French and flavorful. They were very accommodating for refills of water, tea, and coffee that were free. The airplane itself is older so there is no WIFI onboard for internet. I was not disappointed, because they did provide a free movie and I also had my IPad. I would recommend you take a portable charger for your phone, tablet, or laptop. There are not electrical plugs on the seats for your electronic devices. Throughout the trip the flight attendants were on point and made sure the restrooms were cleaned and that passengers were comfortable. Considering the price I paid for the ticket this is a great value! This is a budget airline and for the overall package this was really a great experience.
RouteSan Francisco to Paris
Date FlownJuly 2017

"I am horrified by the service"

Verified Review | If you are tempted to fly with this airline because of the wonderful price do not do it. The flight out to Paris was wonderful. The plane was empty so everyone had their own row to relax. The troubles didn't start until we arrived in Paris. On our flight to Paris they lost our babies car seat. When we went to check in today the lady at the counter was rude and unfriendly. We handed her 5 passports. Three for adults and two children. We had 4 bags to check in a stroller and we had our 2 year olds car seat. We have a double stroller. I was holding our ten month old and our two year old was sleeping in the stroller. In San Francisco they put stickers on all three pieces because the stroller breaks down into three pieces. When we told her that the stroller did that she rolled her eyes and said really. Then we tried to check in our two year olds car seat she said nope you can't take it, or you have to pay for it. When I explained they hadn't charged us for it in San Francisco she said well that is San Francisco. She then called the airline and they said we had to pay 50€ for the seat. She told us we had to go to a separate counter to pay then come back to her. As we were leaving she said wait let me put the stickers on the stroller. As she was putting the sticker on one of the pieces she noticed our daughter and said oh you have another child, we said yes, you have her passport to which she then said oh you don't have to pay anymore. Instead of apologizing she just said your finished. We upgraded to seats 4 thinking they would be wonderful seats because of our previous flight. But the seats had less space than before! They were so uncomfortable! Especially having a twenty pound baby on your lap. There was a section in front of us nobody knew was available. When I finally got the attention again of a stewardess the doors were being closed and she said that I needed to go to the gate to pay. What kind of airline charges for everything other than water, coffee and tea but wont let you buy up a seat? There were 8 seats open! Those seats remained open all flight. Our ten month old was walking back and forth in front of our seats holding onto the seats. We didn't notice but there was an ashtray in our daughters seat. In it was trash with liquid and food. It stuck and was disgusting. Our son put his hand in it. When I asked the stewardess to do something about it, she said you think it's my problem? I said to her I am not saying you own the airplane but you are the only one who's really able to do anything because you have the access to things to clean it. She rolled her eyes at me. 6 minutes later another stewardess came with gloves and took out the trash and in the process got liquid on us and said there I got everything. She went and got a napkin dabbed and said there I am done and walked away. 6th thing, for a couple hours service was non existent. We were trying to make a bottle for our ten month old so he could sleep and we pushed the service button but nobody came for 30 minutes. I am horrified by the service.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSan Francisco to Paris CDG
Date FlownJuly 2017

"nice and smiling staff"

Verified Review | Flight Los Angeles - Paris with XL Airways. June 2017. First of all, when rating a low cost airline, I need to compare it to other low cost airlines and not to Emirates for example. When you book low cost, you should know what to expect: you know that for such a low price, you're not gonna have the high quality you want (for that, you go with Air France and pay $1,500 instead of $600). So, that being said, for a low cost airline XL is really good on several points, but of course some are not. Good points: - the free checked-in bag! Yes, that makes the whole difference, because most low cost airlines makes you pay for it, which then drags the final price up. So that was appreciated. The free meals in-flight. We were given full meals in flight. In addition to that, we were given free coffee / tea, and refreshments as well. Only alcohol is in addition. Food quality: good! I will not say amazing, no, but for in-flight food, it's pretty good. Very similar to the food quality you will get in Air France flights. This is because XL Airways is a French airline, so good products. Trust me after this you will be full, but if you want more, they have a menu with French items, delicious. - the staff. The staff was amazing, really. I think the best service I had on a flight. They are not after you to buy things (which I experienced in most low cost airlines). They were so helpful and dedicated. They give you extra bread, and do not hesitate to serve you twice for refreshment when asked. Overall very nice and smiling staff. Negative points - the seats. I would say the seats are my main and only complaint. They are very tiny, and not too comfortable. I'm a small size woman, so it was ok for me, but the poor guy seating next to me had a hard time. His knees were literally touching the seat up front, so not the best for a long haul flight. This is where you feel that you are in a low cost airline in case you forgot, here's the reminder. - the in-flight entertainment. So, they don't have in-seat screens. However, they do have in-flight entertainment through iPads or other devices. You can access their entertainment through your computer, or they rent iPads for $15 (which also include the premium package). Not a big selection of movies, but enough for a long haul flight. Personally, I enjoyed reading a book better, and also download my own favorite series before leaving to enjoy during the flight. Overall: for the price, I will use this airline again. Mainly because I do a lot of Los Angeles-Paris, and the direct flight, with checked in baggage and meals included is just awesome..
RouteLos Angeles to Paris

"pleasantly surprised"

Verified Review | I was pleasantly surprised by XL Airways after all the critical reviews. The aircraft from Los Angeles to Paris was clean, the attendants were very involved throughout the 10 hour flight (and were pleasant as well), and the flight itself was smooth. Yes the seats are crammed in there and the entertainment is not great. There is wifi and you can watch movies on your iPad. (They also rent ipad minis for $20 so bring your own!). I read a little and tried to sleep so this wasn't a deal breaker for me given the reasonable fare. If want more leg room, you pay dearly ($70 extra) but this is worth it for me. We left and arrived on time which adds a star. I actually found it a much more pleasant experience than my super expensive Air France flight last year. I would fly them again for sure.
RouteLos Angeles to Paris
Date FlownJune 2017

"pilot did an excellent job"

Verified Review | After reading all the reviews about XL Airways and learning that they have 3-4 planes in their entire fleet, I was extremely anxious. We arrived at JFK 3 hours early and were among the first in line to check in. After waiting in line for an hour, we made it to the counter where our back bags and checked bags were carefully weighed. Thank goodness, we were all underneath the required mass. The plane was boarded and we we got on the electricity went completely out but in a few minutes, we were on our way. The pilot did an excellent job piloting the plane and even though we took off late, we made it close to our normal time. After spending a few days in Paris, we went back to check in to our return flight but they had already boarded and we missed our flight. We tried calling customer service but only got a recording and wasn't until the next day that we found out we would have to purchase a one way ticket home. On the way back after Checking in for our one way flight back to the US, the woman at the counter was not sympathetic just said so sorry. We did make it home safely and once again the pilot did an excellent job. Bottom Line: I would take this airline again but make sure that I made the flight next time because you will not be compensated or offered a discount. By the way, I thought the food served on board was really good! We were served breakfast about an hour before our flight landed in Paris and dinner an hour or so into our flight on the way back.
RouteNew York to Paris CDG
Date FlownApril 2017

"would not recommend this airline"

Paris to New York JFK. The aircraft seemed to be a really old plane, and the TV's were broken (this plane did not feature individual screens on the back of the seats). But the flight itself wasn't the worst flight I've ever been on. The service was ok, and the food was edible. It is, after all, a budget flight. I would also like to mention that the captain did a great job piloting the plane. My issue with XL Airways is their customer service. We had checked in an oversized luggage at CDG, paid the fees, and followed the standard procedures of checking in. When we arrived at JFK, our oversized luggage was nowhere to be found. The staff at the terminal 4 oversized baggage claim counter told us that we just need to wait. We waited for 2 hours before someone finally told us that most likely it didn't make it onto our flight. We filed a claim, and they provided us with a phone number to contact to track our lost luggage. The number is completely bogus. We tried calling during business hours (8AM - 10PM weekdays) after ringing for about 3 minutes, it goes to voicemail, which is conveniently full. We try reaching XL Airways through several means, and finally we manage to speak to a representative. The representative tells us that we need to send an email with a detailed list of the items in the lost luggage. We do so, and wait for a reply. After doing a bit of research, I find a review dated 2013 about a lost luggage through XL Airways from CDG to JFK. The reviewer finally managed to track down their suitcase by going directly to JFK. So we decide to do the same and drove back to the airport to Terminal 4. After speaking to TSA, they tell us to speak to an XL Airways representative at their ticketing counter in departures. We make our way there only to be told that we need to go back downstairs to lost and found. Finally someone from Swissport baggage transport helps us track down our lost luggage, and we finally receive it. Nobody from XL Airways would provide us with any type of information regarding our lost luggage. They have a compensation policy of 20 euros per kilo for lost luggages, which wouldn't have even covered the cost of the suitcase itself. They have zero respect for their customer's belongings, which is completely unacceptable. Furthermore, no one from XL Airways was willing to help us in the least. They kept sending us to dead ends, and it wasn't until we showed up at the airport the following day that we received any answers (none of which came from XL Airways). This review should serve as a warning to anyone looking to fly with XL Airways. They have a 5kg weight limit for carry on luggage, and a 20kg weight limit for checked in luggage. First checked in luggage is free, after that it's 100 euros per bag. They also don't respect your belongings. To them, you aren't a customer that deserves respect, you are just a sold seat. I will never fly with them again, and their aircrafts need to be updated desperately. They should have been out of circulation years ago. I would not recommend this airline. Fly with Air France, they actually treat you like a human being.
RouteCDG to JFK
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"one of the worst flights ever"

Verified Review | New York JFK to Paris CDG. One of the worst flights ever. Though we are allowed 5kg (yes, only 5kg) of carry on luggage, at the airport I am informed there is no overhead compartment for small suitcases. When I ask for options, instead of answering my question, they take me to the manager, make me wait for 30min and then accuse me of making a scene. When they all calm down, they explain I can use the storage under the seat which is ok by me and I check-in the carry-on. Though the plane simply does not have overhead compartments for the middle section. To avoid issue it is worse to pay to pick a seat on window side. Otherwise, hot flight with zero AC, totally inedible food, service absent, central entertainment is very low quality. Only positive is the price.
AircraftA330-300
RouteJFK to CDG
Date FlownAugust 2016

"budget airline with minimal service"

Los Angeles to Paris CDG with XL Airways. This is a budget airline with minimal service. If you can accept no frills service of getting you to your destination then this might be for you. If you are used to full service airlines such as American, Delta, Southwest, United etc then don't take this airline unless you can deal with the following - narrow seats, poor customer service, difficult website, very restrictive baggage weights. We did it. It worked for us. We kept our bags to 20 kg checked (42 lbs) and 11 lbs (cabin) I strongly suggest you buy a travel scale for like $6 from Amazon. We made a mistake and paid extra for the exit row on our outbound flight. Lots of leg room, but the arm rests are fixed and don't go up like in all other rows. This loses you 2.5 inches in width. Having those extra inches helps. Our flight was only 2/3 full and most people don't pay for the seat selection. I suggest you do. Getting pinned into a middle seat or window seat and having to climb over someone on the tight seats is tough. This was the cheapest ticket for the busy summer season at $1120 round trip. My rating is low because service does matter. Website is poor in my opinion. We could not book return flight seats without calling airline since website did not let us do it after we booked outbound flight seats. Our steward during outbound flight was only capable of handing out meals. Had minimal English capability. Overall summary, if you are experienced traveler and need low cost, then this may work for you if you read up on what has gone wrong for others and avoid their mistakes. I hear all the airlines are shrinking seats (I don't travel much anymore), but 17 inch seat width is the smallest I have ever had and was the smallest seat I could physically squeeze my 270 lb body into without having to ask for a second seat.
AircraftA330-200