VivaColombia

"never use this company again"

Trip Verified | Medellín to Lima via Bogota. This company needs to be put out of business. This company's business model is completely based on theft and extortion. I arrived with a bag that fit the description of the limits on my ticket (purchased from Kiwi). Since I could not print out my tickets, the night before I reserved them online (for what was supposed to be less of a charge). Not only did they make me pay twice to print out my tickets, once online and once in person at the MDE airport, they even acknowledged the fact that I even booked this service the day before, but that I would still have to pay an additional fine. And, that they would only print out one ticket and that I would have to pay again to get on my connecting flight in Bogota But it gets much worse than this. Even though I made sure that my big fit the size and weight limits put on my ticket, the dimension and weight requirements were different at the door. They did not express empathy or understanding of this fact, and simply made me pay the fine of $75 USD (more than the ticket price) just to bring a normal backpack designed to fit as a carry-on on board. Since I had no choice but to comply, I paid the $75, was given a receipt, and was assured that my connecting flight would accept the receipt as payment for my luggage. However, once I went in line to get my ticket for my connecting flight at the next airport, they informed me that I would not only have to pay the printing fee again, but that I would also have to pay a heftier $125 fine to bring my carry-on backpack to Lima. This price is absolutely unheard of. I have flown on AirAsia, RyanAir, and the fees that VivaColombia charged me were nothing short of robbery. In other words, the company lied to me, told me that I would only have to pay one fee, forced to pay double fines for printing tickets, and refused to accept the size and weight requirements listed on the ticket I purchased. This company is an absolute embarrassment to the people of Colombia, the airline industry, and is a model of what a terrible company looks like who values money more than the customer. . Personally, until this change is noticeable, I will never use this company again.
RouteMedellín to Lima via Bogota
Date FlownAugust 2018

"I've never been so miserable"

Trip Verified | Do yourselves a favor and don't fly with them. VivaColombia try their hardest to charge passengers for everything. On my way from Bogota to Medellin, they charged me $12 CAD to print my boarding pass. On the way back from Medellin to Bogota, they refused to allow me to carry on the same luggage I flew into Medellin with, and insisted on charging me $40 CAD to bring my luggage on board. They were more than happy to have me miss my flight, until I had paid their ransom. The legroom on this flight was absolutely non existent (see photo). This has been the worst airline I have ever flown with (and I've flown Ryanair). If you're looking to save money by flying with this airline, I would suggest that you book somewhere else, because at the end of the day, you'll still end up paying the same amount. I will never fly with this airline again. I'm currently sitting on the flight, and I've never been so miserable.
RouteMedellin to Bogota
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"treated like cattle"

Not Verified | San Andres to Cartagena. Budget airline at the very worse end of spectrum. Passengers are treated like cattle and nuisance. Especially if you don’t speak Spanish. Beware the tricks of this airline 1. Charge you 66,0000 COP/ per person unless you have paper boarding pass 2. Charge you 10,000 COP /Kg after 15 Kg hold luggage 3. Charge you 200,000 COP for hand luggage anything larger than smallest hand luggage. Seems to be at the whim of gate staff. Medium Rucksacks (always OK with other airlines) was charge to take as hand luggage as above 4. Rude staff. Avoid if you can. Traveled with Avianca, Latam, Easyfly and Chalk and cheese differences between these airline and VivaColombia. Your flight probably will work out cheaper with other airlines.
RouteSan Andres to Cartagena
Date FlownAugust 2018

"This is the worst airline"

Trip Verified | Medellin to Lima via Bogota. This is the worst airline I have ever booked with! We arrived at the check in counter 2 hours prior to departure in Medellin and were informed that there was a flight delay from Medellin therefore we would likely miss our connection from Bogota to Lima (also with Viva Colombia). The attendant gave us 2 options: a refund, or to take the same flight the next day. Taking the flight the next day was not an option as we had another connection from Lima. We decided to book an Avianca flight to get to Bogota on our own, in time for our connection. We asked the attendant to check us in to the second lag of our flight and he said he was unable to do so. Online check in was not working. We arrived at the Bogota check in counter 55 minutes prior to departure and were told it was too late to check in. Viva Colombia’s terrible customer service ended up costing me an additional $1000 in flights. Pay a little extra and fly with a different airline, you will end up saving money in the end.
RouteMedellin to Lima via Bogota
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Would never recommend"

Trip Verified | Medellin to Bogotá. Long story short, they make you pay for carry on luggage, the same luggage that I have traveled all over south east Asia and South America, never having to pay to put it in the overhead bin. $24 bucks for carry on, just $6 less than I actually paid for the flight. Super deceptive and poor policy in my mind. Would never recommend to anyone!
RouteMedellin to Bogotá
Date FlownJune 2018

"tripod can't travel in cabin"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Medellin to Cartagena. I bought the ticket online with an extra luggage. When I arrived at the check in they told me that my tripod can't travel in the cabin with me. So I had to pay extra for the tripod. Besides that since I didn't print the ticket they charge me more than 70.000 pesos. In total they got extra 111.000 pesos.
RouteMedellin to Cartagena
Date FlownMay 2018

"make us buy the seats"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Bogotá to Lima. This company sees profit and nothing more. In a very empty aircraft they put people in distant rows in order to make us buy the seats next time. And worst they say you can't change seats unless you pay a ridiculous fee. I understand they put family in different rows of aircraft is full but our was half full and even with an empty row by my side, my wife stayed ten rows back.
RouteBogotá to Lima
Date FlownMay 2018

"Staff are rude and unhelpful"

Trip Verified | Lima to Bogotá. This might be the worst airline I’ve ever flown with. They scam their customers to get money out of them. I was charged $44 for my boarding pass. They also don’t accept this payment via credit card, debit card or the local currency so you risk missing your flight while you run around an airport trying to track down the cash. At which point, of course, you can add on various fees by ATMs and money changers. I ended up paying about £50 for Viva to print two bits of paper. Staff are all rude and unhelpful; they actually laughed at our misfortune. They seem incapable of having a flight leave on time and aircraft service is non-existent. There are plenty of other low-cost carriers in South America whose business model does not involve fleecing their clients, and a strongly recommend you book with them.
RouteLima to Bogotá
Date FlownApril 2018

"told me the gate is closed"

Trip Verified | I booked a flight from Lima to Bogota for about USD 200 (including all insurances, baggage and some other fees). Web-check-in wasn't working so I had no printed boarding pass. At the check-in counter they charge USD 22 to print this piece of paper (sustainability). Unbelievable! After 10 minutes at the check-in counter they told me that the gate is closed now (50 minutes before departure!) and that I have to contact the call center. At least we were about 10 people who couldn't get in and we think that the flight was already overbooked. In the end I booked a new flight with Avianca for USD 400. Never again with VivaColombia.
RouteLima to Bogota
Date FlownMarch 2018

"never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Medellin to Cartagena. Just terrible! Buried in the terms and conditions is that if you don't web check in and come to airport with a printed boarding pass (which is not always possible and why is something on your phone not good enough) they charge you $19USD to check in! $19 to print a piece of paper! Also charge excess baggage for only 500g about the 15kg. while letting people take 12kg in as cabin baggage! Absolutely criminal, never in all my traveling has and airline charged me for queuing up and checking in at the airport. Will never fly with them again, zero stars
RouteMedellin to Cartagena