Airline of the Year

Ukraine International

"very comfortable and quiet"

(Czech Republic)

Verified Review | Even though airline is rated with just 2 stars, the new Embraer was very comfortable and quiet. Enough space for my legs (I am 188cm). Cabin crews were nice on the early morning flight from Prague to Kiev Boryspil. Free water was offered during the flight. The only problem is my personal issue - I hate boarding via the use of buses on the airport.
AircraftERJ190
RoutePrague to Kiev Boryspil
Date FlownMay 2017

"onboard service is almost non-existent"

(Ukraine)

Verified Review | London Gatwick to Kiev Boryspil. The quality of service of Ukraine International is really low, and I cannot say I'm satisfied by this airline. I flew them several times, between Kiev, London, Paris CDG, Vienna and Chisinau, and I've never been smiling after these experiences. The seat pitch is very narrow and flights aren't comfortable. Flights are almost always delayed. The most interesting is that they schedule a flight to takeoff from London Gatwick at 04:00 AM while the runway opens only at 05:00AM. Of course we were delayed to 05:00AM without any explanation. The onboard service is almost non-existent, and I always got very unfriendly crew. Almost all flights are boarded or de-boarded by bus in Kiev. This airline clearly doesn't worth its price. Aircraft are sure safe, clean, and quite modern, but I can not recommend passengers to fly this airline.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Kiev Boryspil
Date FlownDecember 2016

"it's a complete disaster"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Dubai via Kiev. It was not a cheap flight for me as I paid the same amount I would have paid for direct flight (£337). At first I thought my flight from London Gatwick to Kiev was the only one that I wouldn't get inflight entertainment and refreshment - how wrong I was. This airline is a complete joke! I am not sure what T Edmond reviewed but certainly not Ukraine International from Kiev to Dubai. Refreshment needed to be purchased on the two flights (London to Kiev, Kiev to Dubai). Drinks are also paid for and there was no entertainment whatsoever. Not even a tiny LCD where the whole passenger can stretch and manage. The flights attendants spend their time selling products, rather than customer care. Once product is sold, they walk away and you never see them again. They do not come back to clear your desk, you would have to stack this in the folder on the seat in front of you. This will pass for a domestic flight, but definitely not with the "international' adjective to it. For international flight, it's a complete disaster and should be withdrawn from international domain.
RouteGatwick to Dubai via Kiev

"worst cabin staff ever"

Verified Review | Flew Ukraine International from Kiev to Amsterdam on a KLM booking (codeshare). Although had little expectations, it was below the minimum I even imagined. Flight timing and boarding normal, no particular issues except the cabin looks from the 80's and the crew treats you like with condescending attitude. How unfriendly and cold the staff is (worst than a US airline and even Aeroflot) is beyond every other airline else so far: stiff, rude, annoying, and even the poor english (kind of a minimum for an international airline). I don't need special treatment but I also don't like to be patronised like a child. First, the Sky Priority service has not been aligned at all: if KLM is trying to integrate its service with partners, at least they could agree on minimal coordination, like a separate lane and inform the UIA staff about their program, so they treat you accordingly (or maybe get your own checkin counter). Not being able to checkin online is also hard to believe in these days that it can't be fixed. Then on board, they keep on asking you to shut down and store everything for no reason besides following a stupid policy (not even allowed to keep your headset, where no other airlines bothers). The plane is full and there are 12 empty seats of the 2 emergency rows in front of my seat, each with a sticker "extra seat only for purchase"; after take off, they just remain empty and no one is allowed to seat there to try to make the flight slightly more bearable. I understand you try to maximise revenue (like charging 2 EUR for a watery coffee) but this policy is just pathetic. Bottom line, worst cabin staff ever. It does not cost much to just be friendly and kind with people. Next time I'll probably wait the next flight to be on KLM
RouteKiev to Amsterdam

"service absolutely miserable"

(Romania)

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Lviv via Kiev. The service on board and in the airport was absolutely miserable. When travelling back from Lviv to Amsterdam I was charged 50 euros (double the price than when flying to Ukraine) for my luggage. There was no option to check in and pay for luggage online for the Ukraine International employees in Lviv took the chance to charge as much as possible. Would not recommend at all! Try any other alternative unless you want to get ripped off at every single step of the journey.
RouteAmsterdam to Lviv via Kiev

"my flights were great"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Dubai via Kiev. The price was much too cheap for me to resist, so I went ahead and booked it. The flights were comfortable and on time, and service was friendly. In short, my experience was better than the average that I have come to expect on flights within the US. Of my four flights, one was a new B737-900ER, two were good condition B737-800, and one was a fairly old B737-300. The seats were comfortable, with plenty of legroom for my 6'0" frame. There was no in-flight entertainment for any of the flights. I pre-ordered food on the UIA website, and it was an excellent value, reasonably tasty, and was served quickly by attentive flight staff. It was even on actual plates, with real metal utensils. And the portions were good. So, I recommend the food. My only complaint was that they didn't dim the cabin lights for enough of the overnight flight from Dubai to Kiev. In fact, they brought the lights up at one point so that the crew could bring the duty-free cart up the aisle. So, maybe consider taking an eye mask if you ever take an overnight flight with them. I didn't check any bags, but based on how seamless everything else was, I wouldn't hesitate to next time I fly UIA. I thought the Kiev airport was fine - I had a layover of a couple hours each way, and didn't mind it: the seats were comfortable, and there were plenty of places to charge up. In conclusion, although I'm sure many of the people on here did have bad experiences with UIA, my flights were great.
RouteFrankfurt to Dubai via Kiev
Date FlownMarch 2017

"not fly this airline again"

Verified Review | Kiev to New York. Online check-in was not functioning prior to the flight. Therefore, I had no chance to choose a seat of my choice for a 10 hrs flight. When called the hotline, they advised that I'll be able to choose a seat during the airport check-in. But that was not the case either as the lady at the check-in informed me that I may not have such an option. So, I got what she gave me. When I asked for a seat next to the emergency exit, she suggested me to pay a fee for that. Ridiculous, isn't it? But the problems were just mounting. Thereafter was a 3 hrs departure delay with no customer care whatsoever. I would not fly this airline again, if they were not the only direct flight from Ukraine to New York.
RouteKiev to New York
Date FlownMarch 2017

"worst flight experience we ever had"

(Latvia)

Verified Review | Kiev to Bangkok. The worst flight ever! Very unfriendly staff, no TV, not comfortable at all and 10 hrs nightmare, only 2 times in 10 hrs flight we got drinks, and it was half of 1 glass of water or juice. We had 2 flights and the second was even worse. My friend just got different food, they didnt even ask about which one of 2 he would like to choose. Alcaholic drinks you have to pay for, ok, after 30 min we started our flight I wanted to buy beer, but they didnt have it, because they had only 4 and all was sold. Nobody even said sorry. I understand that they dont have something after 8 hrs, but not after 30 min flight just started. I will never choose this company again! This is the worst flight experience we ever had!
RouteKiev to Bangkok
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"just awful and unacceptable"

Verified Review | Paris CDG to Kiev with Ukraine International. In the era of globalization and crazy rhythm of life only the service really defines the quality of this or that product. Ukrainian International have no clue of any service except awful, hence the experience is awful. The crew spent 2 hours out of 2:55 hour flight, serving drinks / food. Access to the washroom for those who were already served was limited. The staff didn't know what were they selling or how to use the credit card machine. I complained about the stale croissant served and received shocking respond: "But you have the croissant, what else do you want?" Just awful and unacceptable. It's a shame that this company is a flag carrier airline of Ukraine.
RouteCDG to KBP
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"got us where we wanted to go"

Verified Review | Flew Ukraine International for the first time from Barcelona to Kiev, and then from Kiev on to Lviv. This was our first time going to Ukraine, so we didn't know what to expect. Check-in in Barcelona was quite slow as they seemed understaffed, but the boarding experience was pleasant and the plane ended up being about 2/3 full. The plane was in fairly good shape, and the crew was efficient and spoke passable English – though they were not particularly friendly by Western standards. Food/beverage was all buy-onboard, but large sandwiches were only 3 Euro and seemed to be very popular. I paid 2 Euro for a chocolate bar and a soda, also very reasonable. They are cash-only onboard, so make sure to have small bills/coins. Water was complimentary. Transiting Kiev was relatively easy, though we were transferring to a domestic flight so we had to clear Ukrainian immigration at Kiev. This process was pretty efficient, as there is a separate line for "Non-EU" foreign passports and the handful of Americans aboard our flight from Barcelona had this line largely to ourselves. All signs in the Kiev airport are in Ukrainian, Russian, and English, so it was easy to get around. They did not make us collect our luggage and re-check it onto the domestic flight, which was a nice change from American airports. Going through security again to reach the domestic departure area was hectic, as nobody seemed to really respect the line and would cut in at will. The staff in the domestic terminal spoke good English, and were helpful if asked. The Lviv flight was delayed due to heavy fog, but announcements were made in all three languages about the delay. Overall it was better than I expected. I'm not sure I'd choose them for a longhaul, but they got us where we wanted to go at an excellent price.
RouteBCN to LVO via KBP