Top 100 Airports

Ukraine International

"satisfied for what I paid"

(Turkey)

Verified Review | I flew Istanbul-Lviv-Istanbul and I am satisfied for what I paid for. The cheapest ticket I booked through online agency had check-in baggage for one-way, but not for a return. However, I could purchase a baggage allowance for 15USD through UIA phone line - that was cheap and convenient. The Boeing 737 was somewhat older, so no inflight entertainment. The check-in was smooth and staff was polite. My only downside is that AC was not running in the aircraft while the plane was parked. Boarding too some 20-30 minutes, so it was really hot to wait in Istanbul when outside is +35C. However, when the plane started taxiing for take-off, AC was turned on. I asked for a pillow, but I received an answer that pillows are reserved for business class passengers only. There was catering available for a fee, but water is free for economy passengers. The flight times to Lviv and return are not comfortable (3:30am and 0:30am), but I guess that's is why the tickets were cheap. It is simple normal airline.
RouteIST to LWO
Date FlownAugust 2016

"Never take this flight again"

Zurich to Tehran via Kiev. Disastrous Ukraine International flight from Zurich to Tehran. Things got strange when the Zurich airport personnel could not issue my boarding pass from Kiev to Tehran. I arrived in Kiev almost on time, but at transfer desk we were told the flight to Tehran is cancelled without giving any kind of justification. The good thing was that I did not have Visa for Ukraine, so they gave me another flight from Kiev to Istanbul and then from Istanbul to Tehran (the ones who could get into Kiev were actually forced to wait one day for the next flight!). The problem was that if I wanted to go through Istanbul, I would have chosen Turkish Airline in the first place, more importantly, the flights were so late I missed my next flight from Tehran to my hometown Mashhad. The staff there were so unhelpful. There was another flight from Kiev to Istanbul that same day earlier that if I had taken that one, I would have arrived in Tehran on time, but they did not even bother to get me that flight. They even managed to lose my original boarding pass along side with original luggage tags. I was given a new luggage tag saying that your luggage will arrive in Tehran with your new flight. Anyway, I arrived in Tehran with some delay. Plus, my luggage is lost now. It has been 3 days now and I my luggage is not in Tehran yet and no one is responding back to my emails or calls. In short. Never take this flight again.
RouteZRH to IKA via KBP
Date FlownAugust 2016

"cabin crew on both legs nondescript"

(Latvia)

Verified Review | Lviv to Vilnius via Kiyv on 2nd August 2016. Checked in online through the mobile application, however, the ground staff is clearly unprepared to dealing with mobile passes. Luggage drop-off took seconds, and my bag was checked in to the final destination. The first leg (LWO-KBP) was flown on a new Embraer190. Boarding was fast. Although the aircraft was 2/3 filled, the cabin crew closely watched the passengers took their assigned seats. A passenger had taken a free emergency exit row seat, and the aircraft was already taxiing, when the crew drew him to his original seat, which I suppose is a breech of the safety rules. The other leg (KBP-VNO) was flown on an oldish B737. Boarding was rather messy and stressful (obviously, due to overbooking) and done by bus. We had to wait at least 10 min for some late passengers in a crowded bus. The cabin crew on both legs were nondescript, hardly ever smiling. Although UAI does not pose itself as a low-cost carrier, they try & make extra money on everything (drinks/meals onbord, seats, onboard sales) and do this with a firmer grip than Ryanair, for instance.
AircraftEmbraer190 / Boeing 737
RouteLWO to VNO via KBP
Date FlownAugust 2016

"nightmare of a flying experience"

(Iran)

Vienna to Tehran via Kiev. I bought the tickets at a really low rate and the flight from Tehran to Vienna went flawlessly. Everything went smoothly and I landed on time and picked up my luggage without any problems. The return journey is a much different story. The flight from Vienna (there were two, one at 11:10 and another 15:40) on the 5th was a complete mess. First of all my boarding pass from Kiev to Tehran was not issued in Vienna. Then the two were merged into a single flight. I suffered a delay of over 2 hours but some people were at the airport from 8 am. By the time we arrived at the airport I rushed straight to the transfer desk praying for a delay but there was no one at the transfer desk. The terminal looked like it was closing down and after a few quick glances I saw on the information board that my flight was cancelled. Me and a few other passengers (they missed their connecting flight because of the delay) were taken reluctantly to the transit lounge where we were told to stay till the next flight which was 24 hours later. We were not offered any accommodation by the airline (we needed visas apparently but even then it their duty to provide us with one) which was a complete outrage and they managed to lose my Vienna boarding pass. On the next day I met some travellers who had their horror stories as well (non-existent tickets etc) and what really drew my ire was that they were informed before hand that the flight to Tehran had been cancelled and everything that I went through could have been avoided. The flight to Tehran took off after a small delay and we arrived at a sensible hour. At luggage pick-up I realised my luggage was missing and I did not have my boarding pass with the sticker to show the airport officials (they were kind enough to open a supporting case for me). This was an absolute nightmare of a flying experience. The terminal is a good one (free wifi, clean toilets) but the employees are terrible. The planes themselves look worn down and unbelievably warm inside with food which you have to buy. It's only a facade of modernity, nothing more.
RouteVIE to IKA via IEV
Date FlownAugust 2016

"offer good value for money"

(Ukraine)

Verified Review | Kiev to Minsk. I often use Ukraine International for short hops up to 90 minutes. I also had chance to have longer flights from Paris CDG to Kiev and between Kiev and London. They offer good value for money since you can get a good deal from them by checking their website. Their web-site is simple both for purchase and check in. They have a separate app for mobile check in and you can get mobile b-pass. The airport experience it is on par with low cost carriers. Same onboard. Staff are polite. Their English is mediocre, but servicable. Food is for purchase only (take something onboard, don't bother youself trying to buy it!). Planes are never air conditioned before engine start. The aircraft are well used, but clean. Seat pitch and leg room hit and miss since there is no standard layout across the fleet. Punctuality is not their strong side, but normally they are 20 mins around schedule. Kiev Borispol is nice airport with moderate lines and clean toilets. Gate area is bright and easy to navigate. My recommendation is to find a good deal and being prepared to bring your own food.
RouteKBP to MSQ
Date FlownJuly 2016

"great airline for cheap travel"

Verified Review | Munich to Tel Aviv via Kiev. A great airline for cheap travel. The planes are a bit old, but clean. Staff friendly and very helpful. Meals are to be bought on board, but you can pre-order online with a discount. UIA doesn't give you free meals onboard. All the flights (I had 4 of them) were on schedule. I will advise it to my colleagues and friends.
RouteMUC to TLV via KBP
Date FlownJuly 2016

"behind the majority of European airlines"

Bangkok to London Gatwick via Kiev with Ukraine International. I booked a one-way flight for only £248. This was the cheapest flight option and I also wanted to try the B767 for one last time as these are now becoming retired by many airlines. The first boarded well on-time from BKK and departed 01:25am as scheduled. The aircraft was 24 years old so understandably it did not have a new aircraft feel. The interior however I felt needed a little TLC as it had ripped seats in some places. Leg room and width of seat is very tight and no IFE. However for the price I really wasn't that bothered. Connection in Kiev airport was a little confusing as it isn't clear when you get into the airport where you need to go if in transit, however a very pleasant airport worker pointed me in the right direction. The next flight to Gatwick also boarded and departed on-time. This was operated by a much younger B737-800. The aircraft was clean but again leg room / space is challenging. No IFE once again but my expectation wasn't that it would be available anyway so no major complaints their. I didn't eat on either flight as the food did not look great to be honest. However in my view that is industry standard with all airlines anyway. So a couple of things that did not impress me would be firstly charging 2 Euro for a cup of orange juice. This is outrageous in my view and a complete over charge. Secondly and as a bigger issue is the cabin crew attitude. The either all dislike their jobs or perhaps are not trained a or encouraged to smile. On the flight from KBP-LGW the male flight attendants were especially miserable and really struggled with basic manners. Overall I would not choose Ukraine International again as they are someways behind the majority of European airlines but for the price on this occasion it did the job.
AircraftBoeing 767 / Boeing 737
RouteBKK to LGW via KBP
Date FlownJuly 2016

"staff were kind and hospitable"

Athens to Tel Aviv via Kiev with Ukraine International. Was thoroughly impressed with the fact that complimentary meals were provided on short 2 hour flights. Staff were kind and hospitable and arrival and departures were on time.
RouteATH to TLV via IEV
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"charge for everything"

Verified Review | Kiev to Amsterdam on May 26th. Apparently KLM sold this flight to UIA. Most awful airlines I flew. Flight attendant was rude, they charge for everything on an international flight. Cup of little instant coffee 2 EU! You almost have to beg for cup of free water and they give you a look if you ask for it. All flight they just trying to squeeze as much money as possible from passengers.
AircraftEmbraer 190
RouteKBP to AMS
Date FlownMay 2016

"we never made it on board"

Verified Review | On May 25th 2016 I and my family (my wife and 3 kids) came to the Kiev airport for our flight from Kiev to Stockholm, connecting to the US. At first they told us they could not find our reservation. After I provided them with my e-ticket number they told us we could not board our flight due to Visa requirements for Sweden. There is no transit Visa required for US or Ukraine citizens if you are connecting through Stockholm. After arguing with the gate agent we were able to get the manager who told us we can board the plane but will have to leave all of our luggage as they have to contract with Norwegian airline and it will cost them $50,000 in fines. Not sure how is this my problem and why I was sold this ticket if there is no partnership between airlines. In the end my family and I never made it on board. I end up buying another ticket for $4500 to get out of this god forsaken place. And this is on top of $2500 I spent on my previous ticket which I purchased through www.KIWI.com. I tried to contact them regarding getting a refund but they told me they contacted Ukraine International Airlines and was told it was because of the transit VISA we were not allowed to board. Ukraine International Airlines do what ever they want with no regards to rules and regulations. Oh one last thing, they told me they have no insurance so if something ever happens to you om their flight good luck getting any restitution.
RouteKBP to ARN