Vote Airport

Ukraine International

"recommend if price is right"

Flew Gatwick to Kiev on 3 February, early morning departure at 03.10hrs left on time. There is an influenza outbreak in the region so all cabin crew were wearing surgical masks (strange but didn't impact the service). The legroom was comfortable. You get a free glass of water on this flight but everything else is payable. Due to the time of night I slept from take-off til landing. I didn't take checked luggage so can't review that but would recommend the airline for short hops if the prices is right.
AircraftE190
RouteLGW to KBP
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"had a painful journey"

We travelled Ukraine International from London Gatwick to Istanbul via Kiev on 16 July 2015. Our stress began when I tried to make an online check in which system didn’t allow me. I contacted customer centre by email. I received respond that booking doesn’t exist, I was panicked. I tried all the reference numbers same respond. I booked in February 2015 this journey. I called the customer service and waited 23 minutes respond were given me, go to airport early they will sort out. I arrived to the airport before even check in starts with my two children. I was first at the line. Gentleman served at LGW. He couldn’t find 20 minutes our booking. He changed our seats so my family seated apart each other. He arranged 2 suitcases to IST and one of the suitcases to KIEV which I discovered in Kiev airport by another passenger, he served with same issue. I think he did it deliberately. I spent over 45 minutes with this incompetent guy he didn’t give us the boarding passes for second leg of the journey (Kiev to IST). He said you will get in Kiev. I realised that similar issue with other passengers when we arrived to Kiev airport. Security didn’t allow us to get on to the aircraft. We were stuck in connection area and running like headless chicken to find someone from UIA. Military police said go to wait at the desk which is nobody exist. People started to panic, after a lot of pressure the guard he made calls; one sleepy faced and very rude UIA staff come to try to issue our boarding passes. We told the issue about the suitcase 1 not marked to Istanbul, she said go to Istanbul lost baggage they will sort it out. Basically she wanted to get rid of us from her comfort zone. We arrived Istanbul airport and filled the form when I didn’t find my suitcase. I been informed by my sister my lost suitcase received 23rd July 2015 in my absence (almost a week later). We had a painful journey caused one of the check in staff served at LGW. No food offered. There were at least 6 families with the same problem. Don't get this airline for cheap ticket, it will cost you more.
RouteLGW to IST via KBP
Date FlownJuly 2015

"a very poor flight"

Kiev to New York JFK with Ukraine International. We were delayed 6 hours when the plane needed repair. The plane's interior was very old. The seat in front of me had an armrest held on with white plastic tie wraps. Very little leg room. The crew was courteous, but had their hands full with a full flight. The inflight movies for this 10 hour flight were in Russian with Mandarin subtitles. The projection system glitched the entire time. I am surprised they let a plane like this land at JFK. I may add that I have flown on other UIA flights and they have been good quality. This was a very poor flight however.
RouteKBP to JFK
Date FlownNovember 2015

"good value fares"

(Kazakhstan)

Ukraine International from Gatwick to Almaty via Kiev. Very strict hand luggage allowance enforced at Gatwick, resulting in me checking in an additional bag for 75 Euro. Ironically, being a member of the frequent flier club I am allowed additional hand luggage, but I did not know this at the time, and, it seems, neither did the over-zealous check in agent. After rearranging luggage and waiting a long time at the service desk I was advised that the flight was running an hour late, but my connecting flight should be okay. European flights operate a "Sky Cafe" service, where food and drinks could be purchased. I did not do this but did get a free cup of water. The crew were very welcoming and open, and tried to help answer people's questions about tight connections. In Kyiv I was rushed to the gate for the flight to Almaty, which was held late for me it seems. There were not many passengers on board so everyone had 3 seats to themselves, but the comfort was not bad even though legroom was less than on the Boeing 737-900s. Complementary meal served on this flight by kind crew, acceptable airline food but nothing particularly special and no choice. Both bags were missing due to the tight connection. They arrived on the next day's flight but the ground handling agent said UIA were the only airline that did not deliver missing bags to customer's addresses so I needed to go to the airport and collect them myself. I like the good connections and often good value fares between Europe and Kazakhstan offered by this airline, and friendly crews, but I am annoyed by the attitude of the Gatwick staff and their seeming lack of knowledge of airline policies.
RouteLGW to ALA via KBP

"no one did their job"

(Ukraine)

Dubai to Kiev with Ukraine International. I reported a lost iPad, as I just left it in the seat pocket, no problems that is my fault. What I am talking of here is an airline that has little to do with the provision of sevice or having the courtesy to call one back. Essentially I went through around 12 rounds of deflection, lies, misdirection, and no one did their job.
RouteDXB to KBP

"worst airline I flew"

Twice I've flown Ukraine International on the route Kharkiv to Amsterdam via Kiev, and two times they managed to have technical problems that resulted in cancellation of the flight. First off, they try to scam you by putting it down as delayed, probably to avoid compensation or something. We had to stay the night in a hotel, in order to make our replacing flight, but they did not provide us any form of compensation, aside from a horrible meal. Crew are not willing to provide information and try to send you off without actually trying to help you. The worst airline I flew with.
RouteHRK to AMS via KBP

"hospitable cabin crew"

(Ukraine)

We returned from a weekend in Munich with Ukraine International. Everything was OK except the check-in, passport control and security procedures in Munich airport. Had to spend more than an hour in the queue to check-in point, and another 50 minutes to pass security - that seems too much even for the Christmas time. The flight was quite pleasant - a new and clean aircraft, nice and hospitable cabin crew. There are no free meals on board but we were aware of the fact and packed some food beforehand. You can buy sandwiches and drinks on board if you wish. Seats were quite comfortable. The flight left with some delay caused by all this mess in the airport, but arrived on time.
RouteMUC to KBP

"enjoyed the experience"

Amsterdam to Odessa via Kiev. I regularly fly Delta, American and United domestically, so that would be my standard of experience, and Ukraine International was cleaner and more efficient. There was no food on any of my flights, but it is the same in the United States. Flights were on-time and I enjoyed the experience. The lobby waiting areas were very poor, but so is Atlanta Hartsfield.
RouteAMS to ODS via IEV
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"didn't serve any meals"

(Philippines)

We had an okay experience with Ukraine International, from Dubai to Kiev and the flight was on time. Seats were comfy. They didn't serve any meals despite being on a six-hour flight. The biggest turnoff is not with UIA but in Kiev Airport (KBP). Transfer passengers had to wait for 30 minutes before the Transfer Desk opened despite the fact that we all arrived at 8.30am (and it's not an ungodly hour).
RouteDXB to KBP

"very friendly crew"

(Kazakhstan)

Could not use the online check in but the counter staff were quick (no queue) and friendly at Almaty. It has been a long time since I was offered a window or aisle seat by a check in agent. The legroom in the 737-900 is excellent - even if I slid down in my seat my knees did not touch the seat back in front. Breakfast was served and was acceptable. The crew were friendly. Quick transfer at Kyiv - the agent at the transfer desk issued my onward boarding pass with no issues even though there had been a problem printing it at check in in Almaty. Kyiv to London flight has a pay menu on board, with the best value I had seen on an airline - cheese salad baguette and soft drink for 3 Euro. Again a very friendly crew and informative pilots. No IFE but the service, legroom and the cheap fare made up for this. The disappointing part of the journey was Gatwick Airport itself.
RouteALA to LGW via KBP