Ukraine International

Ukraine International customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

I can't believe it when I read positive reviews on Ukraine International Airlines! Some people must have very very low expectations. I thought I would book my trip with this airline as it was cheap, but that was a big mistake. The airline is worse that I expected. Thinking it was legacy international airline company I thought it could't be bad, but it was. Ukraine International Airlines is a very basic airline, no food (only water) provided, no entertainment and with air hostesses who have no charisma. We went to Dubai as a group of eleven and out of eleven suitcases, five were lost. Not only that but we were told to return to Dubai airport to collect our luggae as Ukraine International Airlines don't deliver to the hotel.
RouteLondon to Dubai

Ukraine International customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

I often travel between London and Istanbul. Recently I have noted that Ukraine International airlines have become an option. Prior to booking my flight I read the reviews on UIA and as a whole they seemed less than complimentary. I'm always up for a laugh and a sense of adventure so decided to book IST-KIEV-LGW and was in for a pleasant surprise. My fare was £282 one way and this unbelievably was business class. Much cheaper than some of the low cost airlines which were being offered at the time (high season). I must point out that the journey takes about 8 hours as opposed to the 4 hours on a direct flight but if you live near Gatwick and want to avoid the delays around the M25 and Heathrow then this will knock another hour and a half or so from your journey time. Check in at IST was good, as a business class passenger I was able to check in early even though the desk for my fight wasn't open, I was provided with a pass for the business lounge. The Millenium lounge at IST which serves UIA was okay, snacks and beverages available although the abundance of fruit flies around the food influenced my choices, however it was good to get away from the hustle and bustle of this busy and crowded airport hub. Flight from IST to KIEV was a Boeing 737-800. There was priority boarding at the gate. I took seat 1A, business class is 2x2 abreast with a spare seat in the middle used as a table or armrest. I am a stocky 16 stone guy and had ample room, 2 windows to this seat and 2 air conditioning units providing an output of 4 air nozzles to quell the Istanbul heat. Service was good, 4 course meal, lots of complimentary beverages, hot towels etc, staff were smart, polite, attentive and had good grasp of the English language. The aircraft took off on time and arrived on time. Transfers in Kiev airport was effortless, nice modern airport and not too cluttered. Again I went to the business lounge, situated in a nice location within the airport, quiet and relaxing, again food available and unlimited beverages plus showers as an option. 2hrs 30 mins stop over and I boarded my flight to Gatwick this time a Brazilian manufactured Embraer 190, this is a nice nifty small modern airliner jet. Seats are standard size on this leg no different to economy, there was less room than the earlier Boeing but again I was comfortable. again the seats were 2 x 2, however in business class on these jets they appear not to sit anyone next to you so you have both seats to yourself, worthy of note is that the centre arm rest doesn't seem to fold up. Again I opted for seat 1A, nice large window and sufficient leg room against the bulk head, good overhead powerful air conditioning units. Flight attendants were polite, attentive and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. I was offered beverages quite frequently, when another 4 course meal was offered I was very full by this stage and had to defer it for a couple of hours which didn't appear to be a problem to the flight attendants. Worthy of mention is that there is no inflight entertainment on these European flights so hopefully your own wit and jokes are good enough to get you by. All in all a really good trip, both flights were punctual, departed and arrived on time. I was well looked after, well fed and catered for. I was very comfortable throughout, both in the aircraft cabins and at the airport lounges. I have based my score on cost, service and experience, and would fly with this airline again.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 and Embraer 190
RouteIstanbul to London Gatwick via Kiev

Review by (Germany)

We flew the routing FRA-KBP-TBS-KBP-FRA for a vacation in Georgia in the last weeks and was satisfied. Except for a little delay on our first flight from Frankfurt to Kiev the flights were on time. On board the staff were friendly and helpful, snacks or drinks are not included, only water was available for free, anything else had a reasonable pricing and is cheaper than at most airports. The older B737 we had on the last leg Kiev to Frankfurt had not enough legroom and old seats, the newer B737-800 that were operating the rest of the flights had more comfortable seats and more legroom. The transfer at the airport in Kiev was quite easy and fast. We would recommend this airline if the price is right.
RouteFRA to TBS via KBP

Review by (Kazakhstan)

Online check in was unavailable but was given a choice of seat at the check in desk in Prague. The aircraft on the first leg was old and chartered from "Go2Sky Airlines" with their crew plus 1 Ukraine International crew member on board making announcements in Russian and Ukrainian. Seats were uncomfortable and the only free service was a cup of water. Other items were available for purchase. The transfer at Kiev is a bit tiresome - there is an evening wave of flights meaning security is very busy. Ground staff were not airline employees and at the transfer desk they were quite rude. At the gate the staff member took my boarding pass and wrote a new seat number on it and advised me my seat had been changed. Since it was still a window seat I did not complain. I am not sure if I was upgraded to Business Class or not. I was seated in the Business cabin and enjoyed a large tasty Business Class meal, but the middle seat was occupied unlike the normal Business Class offering. The crew were efficient and very friendly. Two areas for improvement - another round of water or soft drinks could have been offered, and the cabin lights dimmed properly for this overnight flight.
AircraftBoeing 737-400/ 737-800
RoutePRG to ALA via KBP

Review by (Netherlands)

Preferably never again. I flew Kiev-Amsterdan in August. Both ways got upgraded to Business, which sounds nice. However: Ground-Staff Kiev Borispol Airport: Very poor in English, grumpy and not friendly at all. Boarding airplane is terrible. Put into an extremely hot bus, no air conditioning whatsoever, waiting for 20 min. Long drive (again no air-conditioning) to the airplane. It was a very old 737-500, with signs in Portuguese and Russian. Seats are very uncomfortable, seat pitch reasonable (however, it was business.) Only 3 English newspapers available, so after row 2 they were gone. Crew/Pilot announcements completely not understandable. Again poor English proficiency. Warm beer and wine on board. Food below expectations. Luckily a tablet can do the trick to work a bit and make one forget about the terrible environment one is in.
RouteKiev to Amsterdam

Ukraine International customer review

Review by (United States)

Never flying them again and discourage anyone thinking about it. My family and I had a round trip from Cleveland Ohio, USA to Lviv Ukraine in which we made stops in New York and Kiev. Our luggage was supposed to fly transit and we were supposed to retrieve them at final destination. We did not receive two of our luggages, and have been waiting for two weeks for any information. This airline managed to lose 2 bags in one round trip. When contacting this airlines employees for help with this problem, no one wanted to help and refused to call out a representative in which I could speak to in person. All I was given was a phone number to customer support in which I have been calling for a week and only once have they picked up the phone and hung up during that call. The Boeing in which we were flying from New York to Kiev was the worst I have ever seen in my 20 years of traveling. As we boarded the plane, no air condition for the whole hour. No built in tv monitors for the 11 hour flight. The arm rests could not even be put up because they would constantly fall. No wifi. No leg room and uncomfortable seats. Passengers did not have their personal switches of the light and air conditioning nozels. Our carry on bag which fit on a small plane from Cleveland Ohio to New York did not fit into the Boeing. We were ordered to turn in our carry on bag where passengers turn in strollers and told us that we would reccieve in right after we land. Our carry on bag was not there. When asking the crew members and airline employees where the bag is everyone's answer was I dont know I can't help you, wait till your final destination. When I purchased tickets, my agent requested a baby bassinet but onboard the plane, the flight attendents refused to make any accommodations for me. To make matters worse, the family of 7 all had scattered seats. My daughter were not sitting next to me and I had no help with the baby. When I asked why our seats were not together they told me that I should have clarified that we were a family. I did not know that handing 7 passports together with all the same last name did not indicate that we were a family. Lastly, the flight attendant did not want to help me out at all but told me that it was my job to ask passengers to switch seats. When landing in Kiev with the missing carry on, we were informed that our connecting flight with the same airline had been delayed till 11. Shortly after we were given a hotel, we were told that it was delayed till 1 am and then 1:45 am. No explanation was given as to why. We quickly noticed that there were supposed to be 3 fights that day from Kiev to Lviv in which the airline canceled them all and mashed all passengers into one plane flight to save money.
AircraftBoeing
RouteNew York to Lviv

Ukraine International customer review

Review by (United States)

Flight from JFK to Kiev was cancelled on July 19th 2015 without notice. I learned that the flight was cancelled at the airport and went back on July 20th with all my luggage. The flight got delayed again until 12 am. No aircon on the plane prior to take off. Arrived to Kiev knowing that I missed the connection flight to Tel Aviv, my final destination. Transfer desk staff did not know if my bags were dropped off at the airport in Kiev or not. I was finally told to check into Kiev to collect my bags and a bus will drop me at a hotel to spend the night and fly the next day. July 21, I left the hotel and went back to Kiev airport and got on a plane to Tel Aviv. Not a pleasant experience. I lost 2 days of my stay in Israel as a result.
RouteJFK to Tel Aviv via Kiev

Review by (Germany)

Oneway KBP-ODS for 1650 UAH/70 USD economy. Check in via online worked properly, security at KBP chaotic at domestic gates. Long bus ride to the aircraft without working A/C and probably 50 degrees. Boarding endless, delayed 15 mins. Seats more or less normal, possible to sit for people with approx 1,85. Service - free cup of water or paid like low cost. Plane clean and new. Behavior of crew neutral (nothing special), however, arrival at ODS complete chaos. 170 passengers squeezed into a small exit waiting for their luggage. Cramped airport - back to Kyiv by train for 600UAH 1st-class - much more pleasant.
RouteKBP to ODS

Review by (Ukraine)

Clean and comfortable cabin. We were offered an option of upgrading to business class on board, and the cost was very competitive, so we agreed. The service was first-class, and so was the food. Even in coach class, the seats were much more comfortable than on our flight from Riga to Kiev operated by Air Baltic. Overall, an unexpected and pleasant surprise. We will fly with UIA again.
RouteKBP to RIX

Review by (Armenia)

The staff lacked knowledge of the English language and basic knowledge of ethics. Being on a transit flight first, I had to move quickly to get out to my respective gate but the staff would not regulate the traffic of passengers leaving the plane, thus, making me be late and managing to board for the last minute. At my final destination, my buggage was lost and no one could answer me properly what the reason was. You had to buy food on the plane if you needed something and nothing was included in the price of the ticket. Flying for more than 4 hours for both flights, having nothing to eat, being treated awfully, losing the luggage made this the worst experience I have had.
RouteYerevan to Warsaw via Kiev