TACA Airlines

Review by (Canada) 18th February 2014

Fortaleza - Praia / February 12 2015. The flight was operated in a reasonable B757 by no means new but not as rickety as I had been led to believe. The seating was all-economy and the leather seats fine but slippery! Seat pitch was OK and I am a tall chap - certainly an inch or more greater than its competitors. The flight departed 30 minutes late at 0200 and due to the hour I declined the meal offered which looked bland but edible. We arrived in Praia on schedule and my bags did the same connecting to Sal and Mindelo without delay. All in all a reasonable experience.

Review by (Denmark) 8th January 2014

I arrived early for check-in at GIG. Staff arrived just under 3 hours before departure but then spent the better part of half an hour getting ready. Once opened check-in was a breeze. No line at security or immigration as this is the first international flight departing Rio. Priority check-in for business class so I boarded as one of the first people. Clean cabin but recliner seats with rather limited recline. The really bad part was that the neck rest was at shoulder height so the seat was rather uncomfortable. The flight attendant spoke Spanish and offered a drink. Later breakfast was served omelette and croissant. Omelette was good and included half a slice of ham. Croissant had no resemblance to any croissant I have had before. Portions generally too small. Arrival in Peru without any waiting time at Immigration or Customs. Bags were amongst the first to hit the carrousel. Check-in was easy as I had to go to a special line to pay the change fee. No queue at neither immigration or security. Access to Sumaq lounge which is so so. Once again priority boarding and a clean plane. The seats were older in this aircraft and very hard old school recliner seats. Much better male attendant who spoke excellent English. Drinks just after boarding and dinner. Choices were fish or lasagne. I opted for the fish which was a nice tilapia with rice. Again very small portion. Despite a 10pm departure time I got little sleep due to the poor seat. Reached Rio on time and no lines anywhere as this is the first international flight to land in Rio. Bags were among the last to hit to carrousel which once again shows that regardless of airline the priority tags are largely decorative. Overall an ok experience. To be honest I would probably not book TACA if alternatives were available.

Review by (United States) 6th January 2014

We flew TACA for Panama City Panama to Newark via San Salvador on 1/3/14. TACA recommended getting to the airport 3 hours ahead of time which we did and found that left us with a lot of waiting time. San Salvador airport is not too modern and needs some capital improvements. The first leg was on time and the second late was delayed over two hours but we arrive only 30 minutes late to Newark which was great given the bad weather the day before at Newark. The breakfast food on the first leg was actually better than the lunch on the second longer leg of the flight.

Review by (Brazil) 5th December 2013

My route with TACA/Avianca was GRU-LIM-CUZ-LIM-GRU. When returning from Cusco to Lima we waited 2 hours for a plane that wasn't even there until they cancelled the flight supposedly due to weather conditions. The fact was that Jorge Chavez's site showed that the flight never left Lima. The company rescheduled me for another flight early in the morning the next day and since I lost the flight from Lima to Sao Paulo flying TACA to Lima and then LAN to Brazil. TACA refused to pay hotel food or transfer for passengers and the attendants were very rude not answering questions and paying no attention to our complaints. The next morning my flight was cancelled again and they transferred me to a LAN flight ensuring I could catch LAN's flight to Brazil which didn't occur so I had to reschedule for TACA's night flight waiting more than 10 hours in Lima. This time they paid accommodation and food. Two flights cancelled rescheduling for incompatible schedules not giving shelter for passengers not explaining the real problems of what happened the unwillingness of employees and terrible contacts via website or e-mail trying to show them my point of view I wouldn't recommend TACA at all!

Review by (Honduras) 7th November 2013

Simply terrible. I was flying from San Jose CR to San Pedro Sula HN. Midway through the flight the stewardess announces that due to the fact that there are more passengers wanting to go to Tegucigalpa HN we will now land in Tegucigalpa. I didn't even know it was possible to change flight plans like that!

Review by (Guatemala) 10th October 2013

My route was GUA-SAL-LAX and I like the attention and polite service of the flight attendants. During the flight GUA-SAL operated by E190 we had candies and the departure and arrival to SAL was on time. The service from SAL- LAX operated by A320 and we departed on time. The crew were very nice. We got our dinner and a movie before the purser shut off the lights to let us sleep and they offered blankets. For passengers that didn't sleep the crew offered beverages.

Review by (Australia) 29th September 2013

LAX to San Salvador to Lima Peru Flights Taca 529 and Taca 417 21st Sept 2013. We have travelled around the world with different airlines many of them budget airlines such as TACA. We have never experienced such unfriendly unhelpful check-in service as we did at Taca Avianca at LAX airport which resulted in us missing our flight having to cancel our holiday plans and rebooking our flights with another airline (Copa). The staff at COPA airlines were extremely helpful and polite. Will never attempt to fly with Taca again.
Seat Comfort N/A

Review by (Colombia) 17th September 2013

Bogota-San-Salvador-Guatemala-San-Salvador-Bogota in Business. Outbound BOG-SAL in A320 no personal TV like in the AV A320 but comfortable leather seats. F&B selection ok for a 2.5h flight but nothing too special either FAs nice. Short layover in SAL before traveling on to GUA in E190 sitting in first row provides nice legroom but in general this plane is pretty small low ceilings etc. as it was a 30 minutes hop it was ok. GUA-SAL a couple of days later the same even in Business just a drinks service they could at least offer a sandwich as the Lounge in SAL has acceptable beverage choice but no food just some nuts with the drinks. Having stayed in San Salvador a couple of days we went back to BOG in an E190 again as it was Business space was ok especially legroom and therefore the space offered not felt too limited. The horrible part of this journey was the experience with the ground staff after my wife made a joke to one of them they refused to take us on the flight forcing us to take another flight one day later which we refused to accept. Finally they let us travel the same night and we had to spend 4 more hours on this airport. Score 4 in total because of 8 for the crew and the hard product 4 for the ground staff in BOG and GUA but less than 0 for the ground staff in SAL.

Review by (El Salvador) 2nd August 2013

SAL-LIM-SCL 30 August 2013. What a shame! Ever since Avianca bought this airline service has gone downhill! Business class was no better than going to Europe in coach on other airlines. Service was poor and the food was terrible. This airline thinks it can survive due to the monopoly they have.

Review by (United States) 1st August 2013

While the TACA in-flight experience is very good it is all for naught due to the horrible robotic ground staff in charge of checking in passengers at the Guayaquil airport. They failed to keep the entry to the TACA check-in unblocked resulting in waiting for an hour in a line that was really to a different airline. Then upon correcting the mistake TACA staff closed check-in for the flight one hour before departure instead of the more traditional 45 minutes or half hour and refused to allow us to check in even just one minute after closing the check-in for the flight without looking for passengers still in line. The woman refused to call her supervisor to ask to allow us to check-in and the supervisor later denied we were even there or that the access to the check-in had been blocked. Worst airport experience ever.