Hong Kong Airlines

"I'd fly them again"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Hong Kong. Pricing is the reason for round trips. I arrived at the airport kiosk, no queue. The hostess welcome was okay. Boarding time is 08.25 am. They were on time. but waiting so long to take off. Onboard, the seat was clean. but I want to change to long legroom. The hostess said I need to pay an extra charge, so I don't change. Seat big enough. They have a TV. The quality of the food was not too bad. I'd fly them again.
RouteBangkok to Hong Kong
Date FlownMarch 2018

"as compensation they upgraded us"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Okinawa. We arrived at the airport to check in. Tried checking in online and at the airport kiosk and didn't work, we saw the line was rather long so asked their staff whether we should do anything and both told us to stay in line until they call our destination for last minute boarding. We wait until they finally call Okinawa, followed the staff to the express counter, at which point they told us "your flight is closed cos you're late". What's worse is that they tried to pass it off as our fault at the beginning despite us following their instructions. When they did finally rebook us on tomorrow's flight they said "we normally charge customers to rebook but we'll waive it for you" as if they were being generous. In the end they rebooked us on tomorrow's early flight and as compensation they upgraded us. Also gave us two food vouchers for the airport, as if airport food is great. I told them I wanted to be compensated for the taxi rides to the airport, lost hotel night, and lost day of car rental but they can't do anything about it.
RouteHong Kong to Okinawa
Date FlownMarch 2018

"efficient, friendly, and professional"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Vancouver via Hong Kong. Pricing is the reason I flew them, so expectations were low. The cabin crew was very efficient, friendly, and professional. There were often three meal choices in economy. They were on time for the two segments I flew. The recline on the seats was spectacular. Sorry, people behind you. The A330 aircraft are older, with threadbare seats, no wifi, and an interior decked out in Reds and Golds. Their frequent flyer program is sub par. 208 cheap one way economy tickets from Bangkok to Hong Kong will get you a free one way economy over the Pacific. Not really worth participating in, unless you tend to pay higher fares. And the lack of entertainment in the seatbacks. They handed out iPads, but they really didn't stack up to a real entertainment system. The quality of the food was pretty poor, I left most of the suspected meat items on the tray. I'd fly them again, if the price was really right.
AircraftA330-200
RouteBangkok to Vancouver via Hong Kong

"First class service!"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Taipei via Hong Kong, Vancouver is a relatively new route by Hong Kong Airlines. All their airplanes are very new, the Hong Kong to Taipei leg was flown by a brand new A350-900! If that wasn't pleasant enough, their Hong Kong ground staff are even better. I missed my alarm clock that morning and arrived at Hong Kong International Airport only 35 minutes before the departure time, Hong Kong Airlines sent one of their staff to accompany me to a quick check booth going through the immigration and safely check, then all the way to the boarding gate. First class service!
AircraftA350-900
RouteVancouver to Taipei via Hong Kong
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Will consider other options next time"

Trip Verified | Flew Hong Kong Airlines from Seoul Incheon to Hong Kong. Website was overly-complex. At first it seemed only frequent flyers could access any of the services every other passenger would expect elsewhere. No self-check in service. I had to re-enter my data several times before it was accepted. Booking confirmation reference was 13 digits long and thus hard to remember since most only use 6 numbers. Gate was the furthest ends of the terminal for both origin and destination and there was no view. Seat was far too narrow and very hard and there was awful garish red upholstry. Legroom was quite good but my right leg was obstructed by the seat support in front. No footrest. There was a loose velcro strap hanging down from the seat in front to which could not seem to cling back. No USB port. Very limited IFE with really tiny manual buttons. Screen was dim even at brightest setting. Aircon was not adjustable. They gave cheap ear plugs instead of headphones. Sound quality was poor and required frequent adjustment. Cabin Crew moved so quickly in the aisle that I could not even get a beverage from them. Loyalty points cannot be claimed retrospectively. Lots of long announcements with an annoying bell chime that left your ears ringing about duty free but nothing about the hour long delay until landing. Will consider other options next time.
AircraftA330-343X
RouteSeoul Incheon to Hong Kong
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"hardware was absolutely perfect"

Trip Verified | Flew from Los Angeles to Bangkok and back. I was happy with the flight LA to HK and back as it was a brand new aircraft. HK to BKK was an older airbus but I preferred the older one as it had more leg room and wider seats. It looked like a higher grade plane, even rest room were more equipped. Pros: Good schedule, on time, we were anxious about a connecting flight from Bangkok onwards to India but made it in time. Crew were smart and nice uniform provided good service. No issues at all. There were snacks and juices at back to aircraft near galley that one could pick up anytime. Food was very good and served hot. Cons: Not many concerns, just the longer flight from LA to HKK was hard on the butt after few hours as it had less cushion, I guess to cut cost and weight that is my only negative esp. on a longer 15-16 hour flight the seat can get uncomfortable. A big one for me personally was the frustrating online check-in process that kept giving vague error messages that made no sense, just some weird code. That was the most frustrating part, the website, the human element and hardware was absolutely perfect. Airport Check in was smooth, friendly and efficient.
RouteBangkok to Los Angeles via Hong Kong
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"very slow in-flight service"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Flew Hong Kong Airlines from Auckland to Narita via Hong Kong. Firstly, very slow in-flight service by the crew. Took 30 min just to get a cup of coffee, and I needed to ask twice for that. Secondly, my suitcase was not properly transported to my destination, and when finally I received it a couple of days later, they had locked it and so I ended up having to break it open. None of this would have happened if I hadn't chosen to fly this appalling airline.
RouteAuckland to Narita via Hong Kong
Date FlownDecember 2017

"you get what you paid for"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Early booked on this flight and got a relatively cheap deal, but you get what you paid for. The plane felt old and probably was from its parent Hainan Airlines. The flight itself was smooth, and the service was OK. The downsides are that the toilets never seemed to be clean and the meal portion was quite small for a 11+ hour flight. Also the ground handling managed to cause a damage to one of my luggage. Still waiting for airline feedback on compensation but it's not looking positive. The customer service phone number in Taiwan doesn't work.
RouteAuckland to Taipei via Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2017

"pretty poor service"

Verified Review | Gold Coast to Shanghai via Hong Kong. My bag did not arrive with my business class flight with Hong Kong Airlines from Gold Coast to Shanghai via Hong Kong. I left instructions with HK Airlines for it to be forwarded to me at my hotel in Shenzen as I was departing shortly afterwards for that city. It took innumerable calls to track my luggage - I was finally informed more than 24 hours later that it had arrived at Shenzhen airport and I had to go and pick it up myself. This was after 9 pm at night. They refused to deliver to my hotel like any other airline would do. I had no alternative but to go the airport myself the following morning. The airport was an hour from the city, and i had appointments that i had to cancel to go there. Once there I had to wait 2 hours as the bag was not where they had said. It was an extremely difficult situation for me as very few people at the airport spoke english. After many phone calls to Hong Kong and Shanghai, the bag was finally located at a totally different place from where I had been told. Altogether it took almost 4 hours to get my bag back at my hotel. The bag also had a cut in the side. The only compensation HK Airlines offered for all this stress and inconvenience was the cost of the taxi to and from the airport! All in all, pretty poor service for an international airline!
RouteGold Coast to Shanghai via Hong Kong
Date FlownOctober 2017

"staff was so nice and friendly"

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Seoul Incheon. The staff was so nice and friendly I had to write this review. They brought me every little extra stuff like more orange juice and bread and butter and stayed super friendly. They literally wanted to help me which was a nice feeling. Everything else was good too, food as well.
RouteHong Kong to Seoul Incheon