Hong Kong Airlines

"pretty poor service"

Verified Review | Gold Coast to Shanghai via Hong Kong. My bag did not arrive with my business class flight with Hong Kong Airlines from Gold Coast to Shanghai via Hong Kong. I left instructions with HK Airlines for it to be forwarded to me at my hotel in Shenzen as I was departing shortly afterwards for that city. It took innumerable calls to track my luggage - I was finally informed more than 24 hours later that it had arrived at Shenzhen airport and I had to go and pick it up myself. This was after 9 pm at night. They refused to deliver to my hotel like any other airline would do. I had no alternative but to go the airport myself the following morning. The airport was an hour from the city, and i had appointments that i had to cancel to go there. Once there I had to wait 2 hours as the bag was not where they had said. It was an extremely difficult situation for me as very few people at the airport spoke english. After many phone calls to Hong Kong and Shanghai, the bag was finally located at a totally different place from where I had been told. Altogether it took almost 4 hours to get my bag back at my hotel. The bag also had a cut in the side. The only compensation HK Airlines offered for all this stress and inconvenience was the cost of the taxi to and from the airport! All in all, pretty poor service for an international airline!
RouteGold Coast to Shanghai via Hong Kong
Date FlownOctober 2017

"staff was so nice and friendly"

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Seoul Incheon. The staff was so nice and friendly I had to write this review. They brought me every little extra stuff like more orange juice and bread and butter and stayed super friendly. They literally wanted to help me which was a nice feeling. Everything else was good too, food as well.
RouteHong Kong to Seoul Incheon
Date FlownOctober 2017

"delayed by more than 3 hours"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | My first time travelling with Hong Kong Airlines from Hong Kong to Seoul and my flight was delayed by more than 3 hours due to operational reasons. Their website still showed the scheduled flight time, which was very misleading. I called up the customer service but they could not confirm the gate number. Finally, I had to check over the counter to confirm it.
RouteHong Kong to Seoul
Date FlownAugust 2017

"flight was delayed overnight"

(Taiwan)

Verified Review | Vancouver to Taipei via Hong Kong. I knew that because of a typhoon my flight in Hong Kong would be delayed. However the airline wouldn't let me change the time of the starting flight from Vancouver to avoid the bad weather. They promised a hotel in Hong Kong if the connecting flight was delayed overnight, but then once I got to Hong Kong it wouldn't give a hotel. To make matters worse it attempted the connecting flight to Taipei, only to turn back halfway due to strong winds. After that fiasco they gave us 500HKD (USD65), which is not enough for a solo passenger to get a hotel anywhere near Hong Kong airport. There was a typhoon. What did the airline expect?
RouteVancouver to Taipei via Hong Kong
Date FlownJuly 2017

"an awful, irresponsible, and inconsiderate airline"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | My connecting flight from Hong Kong to Bangkok was suddenly cancelled, and changed to a flight 10+ hours later, only 2 days before. I was on my trip without the internet and just got informed about it when I checked in at Beijing. The ground staff in Beijing could not help with anything. I asked for an earlier flight, any hotel, any lounge service. They said I have to contact Hong Kong Airlines myself. Why would you have a ground service that cannot support a passenger that needs help? I flew to Hong Kong, just to find out that all rooms at airport hotels were fully booked. I went back to Hong Kong Airlines ground counter. They could not help with any accommodation, and only provided earlier flight to Bangkok after a lot of begging (now, +6 hours from the original one). My wife and I were stranded in the airport without support from the airline for 6-7 hours. When we came back to drop our luggage for the new flight, still no assistance and we had to wait in the long queue for over 30 minutes. If we knew that we can get an earlier flight, we wouldn't have taken out our luggage and just used transfer lounge to wait. Or even book a hotel in advance. The airline just did as it pleased, and didn't care about passenger experience at all. Such an awful, irresponsible, and inconsiderate airline. I don't recommend to anyone. This was my first and my last flight with Hong Kong Airlines.
RouteBeijing to Bangkok via Hong Kong
Date FlownJuly 2017

"ground staff were pitiful"

Verified Review | Hong Kong Airlines ground staff were pitiful. The woman that printed our boarding pass for the Hong Kong to Beijing flight was absolutely rude and talked to us like we were stupid. We were only asking questions about our baggage to make sure we don't lose them. She was not nice, probably because it was 5:10 am. She was not able to provide a nice service, information and good words to customers.
RouteHong Kong to Beijing
Date FlownJune 2017

"flight attendants super friendly"

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Taipei. Just flew them yesterday. Got to the airport 4 hours before departure, was told at checkin the flight had been overbooked, had the option to take another flight in a hour with another airline in economy or take the next flight with Hong Kong Airlines at 10:35pm which was 5 hours after my original departure. So we decided to wait and take their later flight. When we checked in to the lounge we was told the flight is at midnight now. However the staff ware very friendly, the seats was alright. The food was delicious and flight attendants was super friendly. They are great for value compared to CX business on the same route.
AircraftA330-300
RouteHong Kong to Taipei
Date FlownApril 2017

"inflight entertainment pretty good"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Tokyo Narita to Hong Kong with Hong Kong Airlines. The check-in counter did not open until 2 hours before the departure time, which is an annoying policy. So it is utterly useless if you want to arrive at the airport earlier and save time for shopping or going to lounge to rest after going through the customs. This is particularly hateful as an hour or so was typically not enough for Hong Kong travellers to buy souvenirs in Japanese airports as there are loads of stuff to buy. The flight was delayed for around 40 minutes, which was nice, at this occasion interestingly. The A333 is equipped with inflight entertainment, of which I can watch movies and listen music, pretty good. The legroom is within reasonable range, not spacious but acceptable. The hot meal is included in the ticket price. It was reasonably good. The crew refused to store my fruit in the fridge politely. No complain on this, just a bonus if this request was accepted.
RouteTokyo Narita to Hong Kong
Date FlownDecember 2016

"very impressed with the airline"

Unverified | Mumbai to Auckland via Hong Kong. When I travelled to hong kong via Jet Airways and then to Auckland thereafter with Hong Kong Airlines, I was very impressed with the airline. To begin with the greetings on board in English, the airline staff made me feel so comfortable, the seats were brilliant and much better then Jet Airways. The service is 10 grade, the staff took care of me and my my family so well be it food, drinks or even my 7 month old toddler. I am impressed with the airline for its service, food served me my choice of Indian (hindu meal) the best rajma chawal I have had, the drinks and the uninterrupted service on a 11 hour journey. I would recommend all my family members and friends to try Hong Kong Airlines. Just add a lot of movies and entertainment as its a 11 hour journey.
RouteMumbai to Auckland via Hong Kong
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"it got me to where I want"

Verified Review | Beijing to Hong Kong return with Hong Kong Airlines. The first flight was an older model without IFE. The second flight was on a much newer and more comfortable plane, with IFE. Usual meals and bathroom facilities. Happy with ground crew, she was able to send my luggage all the way to my final destination on a different airline and ticket. Budget airline and fare. It got me to where I want over the Chinese New Year festival.
RouteBeijing to Hong Kong