Freebird Airlines

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th April 2015

FHY 650 6th April 2015 return FHY649/650 13th April (via Birmingham). Nightmare airline. I am average height (1.75m) and I found the legroom extremely restricting. I understand the concept of adding seats to make the cost cheaper but this is ridiculous. Flew from Manchester to Izmir over 4 hours. You can get away with this sardine container for short haul but is inappropriate for longer flights. The plastic rear panels on 75% of the seats were split due to the pressure on one's knees that tells you something. Small quantities of tea coffee or water are complimentary but everything else is paid for and pricey too! I will never fly this airline again.

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th April 2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 17th March 2015

Freebird used as part of an RSD Travel package. Manchester to Istanbul on 25 Feb 2015 was on time which was just as well since legroom was the least I have come across with my knees against the back of the seat in front when I was sitting upright. (I am 5ft 11 inches tall). The seat back is designed with a recess where magazines are usually stored and magazines are in a small pocket behind the headrest. There was no space between myself and the folddown tray (I have a 34 inch waist). Food purchased was of usual expected basic standard. The homeward trip on 4 March from Antalya was in a newer aircraft and legroom was increased so that it was not a problem. The accents of the cabin crew made it difficult to understand over a poor loudspeaker system (feedback problems) and I would question the staff's level of English comprehension. The problem on this flight was that first UK landing point was Birmingham and once the Birmingham passengers had left the plane Manchester passengers asked to retrieve their hand luggage so that it could be seen that there was no unidentified luggage left. We were then told that we would have to get off to let the plane be cleaned and given no further information. On exiting the plane I asked the cabin staff where we should go and was told to go to the transit lounge. Upon leaving the aircraft we were handed a card which was a proxy for a boarding pass for the next leg of our flight. We had to follow the general arrivals route (no signs for any transit lounge) and then guess that upon reaching the general airport concourse should follow the route to departures At which point the boarding passes would not give clearance through the access turnstiles without airport staff intervention and bypassing the turnstiles. We then had to go through passport control and airport security where I commented on my surprise at our lack of information on what we should be doing only to be told that this happened every week with this flight. On boarding the aircraft we were then told to sit in any unoccupied seat. (The Birmingham passengers outbound for Istanbul having already boarded). We were 30 mins late in getting into Manchester where we again had to go through passport control and customs. The airline should properly inform passengers what is required of them in these transit situations and properly brief their staff. I would not recommend independent travellers to purchase flights with Freebird as it is currently run.

Review by (United Kingdom) 17th March 2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 9th March 2015

My wife and I have just returned from Turkey flying with Freebird. I had read previous reviews and was expecting the worst but was pleasantly surprised. The A320 that we flew in was clean and comfortable. The legroom was better than that usually experienced with Ryanair and Easyjet. The plane seemed to be well maintained and the cabin staff were pleasant and attentive. Food and drink was comparable in quality and price with other budget airlines. The flight was as good as a four hour flight can be without inflight entertainment. I would certainly fly with them again and have no problem with recommending them to other travelers.

Review by (United Kingdom) 9th March 2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 4th March 2015

Used this airline as part of a package deal to Izmir Turkey. The outbound flight was typical for a charter airline but the inbound flight was poor with a number of safety concerns. The seat in front was reclined as soon as the fasten seat belts sign had been switched off. Usual problem of hitting my knees. Tried to recline my seat but the passenger behind objected. Left with a small space for the 4-hour flight. This is bad enough but at no time during pre-landing checks was the passenger asked to move his seat forward. There were four passes of cabin staff that failed to spot this. Also the arm rest was broken on the outside seat so it would have been almost impossible to make a quick exit. At no time was anything other than the statement "fasten seatbelts" made before landing. No mention of electronic devices seat position etc. I accept this is a charter airline but safety should not be compromised.

Review by (United Kingdom) 4th March 2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th December 2014

Recently flew to Antalya with Freebird and returned to Gatwick a week later. Having read some of the reviews before travelling I was unsure what to expect. There was limited leg room but no worse than other charter airlines I have flown with. The information provided during flight was adequate and understandable. Tea coffee or water were provided free of charge. We didn't purchase any food so cannot comment on this. On the return journey my husband was taken ill shortly after take off and the cabin crew could not have been more helpful. They remained very attentive during the entire flight especially the two female crew at the rear of the cabin. Both flights were on time and otherwise uneventful.

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th December 2014