fastjet

"flight never took place"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | Mwanza to Dar es Salaam. The flight never took place. The staff told us to take a flight next day which was not possible for us. Still don't get our money back. Will never use fastjet again because every time we have big problems.
RouteMwanza to Dar es Salaam
Date FlownJune 2018

"I had to book another flight"

Trip Verified | We were supposed to fly on the 16th March with Fastjet only to receive few hours before my flight an email saying that my flight had changed to FN 154. The email that I got was not clear at all not stating which flight had changed (no flight number or departure airport was mentioned) so I assumed that the flight on the 16th March had changed. I emailed the airline but had no response back so I had to book another flight from Dar es Salam to Kilimanjaro which cost me the triple of what I had booked with Fastjet. I arrived at the airport and went to Fastjet desk only to be told that this flight was on time and I was too late (the flight was leaving in 35 min). I showed them the email and they told me that flight change refers to the returning flight. I don't understand how can you change a flight without mentioning the flight number or departure time. My return flight changed from 21:30 to 12:30. Needless to say that this flight change didn't suit me at all as I was on a safari and obviously couldn't make it. I had to book another flight coming back with Precision Air as FastJet didn't offer any other flight times and again the cost was triple. I expected a refund for this inconvenience as it was totally unfair what the airline did and the cost for the other flights that I had to rebook was ridiculous. However none of this happened!
RouteDar es Salam to Kilimanjaro
Date FlownMarch 2018

"very friendly staff"

(Tanzania)

Trip Verified | The flight from Kilimanjaro to Dar es Saalam was on time, check-in was very smooth, pleasant flight, and very friendly staff, including very good safety briefing. Similarly, the flight from Dar-JRO was on time, smooth flight, very friendly and client-oriented staff. On our return flight, KLM was approaching JRO to land, so we spent few minutes circling around. The captain promptly informed us, and cracked a joke," a big bird is ahead of us and about to land, so we need to make way", everyone laughed which brought for a very good feeling.
AircraftE190
RouteKilimanjaro to Dar es Saalam
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"book with any other airline"

Trip Verified | Kilimanjaro to Dar es Salaam. fastjet cancelled my flight during the night and I didn't receive any news. When I came to the fastjet office in Moshi to ask for the airport shuttle I was told there is no bus and no flight. There was nobody reachable and I had to try to get my connection flight by myself. Until now there was no answer from fastjet. Nothing. No refund, no email, no call. There was not even a single hint why they cancelled the flight. Better to book with any other airline than fastjet. If you want to throw away your money book with fastjet.
RouteKilimanjaro to Dar es Salaam
Date FlownNovember 2017

"and still no refund"

(Tanzania)

Trip Verified | Dar es Salaam to Lusaka via Harare. Fastjet cancelled flight and put me on one 2 days later, without my consent. Notified me via sms. I called in 7 times , sent 2 emails and drove to their branch at airport, to get a refund in process. Finally received email confirming refund would take 5 to 7 days. Been 2 weeks and still no refund.
RouteDar es Salaam to Lusaka via Harare
Date FlownDecember 2017

"cheap and nasty airline"

(Tanzania)

Verified Review | Kilimanjaro to Dar es Salaam. Fastjet is a terrible airline. Normally my flights are cancelled but I had to go with them as I did not have any other option. I paid for 40k luggage as I did not want any issues, but of course got to the airport and staff were rude as one bag was a couple kg over 20kg whilst my other bag was only 13kg. All up on was under 40kg by a number of kgs. Staff were rude with zero professionalism - especially one of the fastjet staff. My two son's flights got cancelled so we're stuck on their way to boarding school. Of course the staff of fastjet did nothing. Super cheap and nasty airline.
RouteKilimanjaro to Dar es Salaam
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"avoid Fastjet completely"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | My honeymoon flights from Johannesburg to Zanzibar was cancelled 2 weeks before the planned flight, with no warning. I got an sms saying that my flights were cancelled and that they have been moved to different dates, 5 days after my initial flight plan. Obviously this is completely unacceptable for a flight to a honeymoon destination. You cannot change your wedding date and cannot change expensive resorts bookings which was made months in advance. My whole honeymoon length and location was based around this low cost flight and I will never make the mistake again to use Fastjet. I had to buy new flights on another airline for a very large amount, and also depart on a date and time which is not preferred, but the only flights available. I have not received any money back for extra costs incurred from FastJet. Only a refund for the flight which is very cheap so worthless. Any proper airline has to compensate you for extra cost incurred due to situations which is completely their fault. This is their response: :"We understand that because of the delay there was a negative cost implication on yourself however since delays are possibilities which we advise you of pre-flight, we do not offer compensation or guarantee reimbursements" I did not even have a delay, my flight was cancelled. They could not even respond personally, just this mass generated email. I advise all other people to avoid Fastjet completely.
RouteJNB to ZNZ via DAR
Date FlownNovember 2016

"flight was severely delayed"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Johannesburg to Zanzibar via Dar es salaam. fastjet is a shocking airline. Flew with them to and from our honeymoon destination, they changed the flight times with no warning. The return flight was severely delayed causing us to miss all connections, no communication with passengers at all. Also, snack prices are outrageous. The staff onboard were polite and professional. Get something more expensive if you want a reliable airline.
RouteJNB to ZNZ via DAR
Date FlownNovember 2016

"really disappointed with fastjet"

I'm really dissapointed with fastjet. For our honeymoon, my husband and I booked a short trip from Johannesburg to Zanzibar, from 18-23 of November. We're both very busy so we cannot take more days off or travel on other days. We booked this months in advance. Then, last week I got the e-mail from fastjet announcing that our return ticket has been changed from the 23 to the 20 November. At this point, I was already very much disappointed (because we only had a 2-day honeymoon and if I wanted to go away for just the weekend I would have stayed in SA) but Fastjet said it was the only option and by now, other tickets were already much more expensive so we couldn't afford anything else. This weekend I got another e-mail, saying the flight had been changed again. We would now depart on the 27 November, 1 week later! And there was not even a return ticket. This was just impossible for us, so we were forced to cancel the trip. Unfortunately, because of such a late notice from fastjet, we cannot cancel the hotel reservations in Zanzibar anymore. Customer service declined my request for a refund of the money which, honestly, is not even close to compensating the disappointment of not having the honeymoon we so much looked forward to.
RouteJNB to ZNZ
Date FlownOctober 2016

" a comedy of errors"

(Uruguay)

My wife and I booked round trip with fastjet from Johannesburg to Zanzibar because they were the only direct service, so we could avoid immigration/customs and switching flights in Dar es Salaam (airport hell). A month later, fastjet informed us they were cancelling the segment from Dar to Zanzibar and would have us change to Precision Air (a misnomer if ever there was one!) in Dar. For the return trip, they were going to shoehorn us into a Cessna Caravan (what a downgrade from an A319!). Instead, I paid for a one-way ticket with Precision Air to avoid this. The connection in Dar on the outbound trip was pandemonium, and the boarding in Dar for the return flight to Joburg was a comedy of errors and hugely unprofessional behaviour, as the boarding agents engaged in a heated argument in front of all the passengers. Despite the fact I had paid extra for premium seats at the front, we were stuck at the back and I had to insist that we be moved to the seats I had paid for. When we left the plane after arrival in Joburg, the cabin staff were nowhere in sight, to thank us for flying with them. In short, hell will freeze over before we go near fastjet again!
RouteDAR to JNB