Vote Now

Alaska Airlines

"When I booked it was a direct flight "

Verified Review | Seattle to Petersburg. Once aboard the plane, we had a stop in Ketchikan, before going on to Wrangler and to Petersburg. When I booked the tickets it was a direct flight to Petersburg. I found out that it was not at thw airport. Then they made us gather our stuff and made us move to different seats at Ketchikan. I think a warning that that was going to happen would have been nice. In this age of technology I would think that should not happen. That we should have been able to stay in the seats we started in. Disappointed.
RouteSeattle to Petersburg
Date FlownMarch 2017

"attendants really kind and friendly"

Verified Review | San Diego to Newark. When I first got to the airport, I saw a 90 minute delay. I wasn't that happy, but Alaska Airlines kept us informed and boarded us as quickly as possible. Soon after the plane took off, they began the service. The snacks were good and they came around with drinks three times during the flight. I ordered one of their Signature fruit and cheese platters and I was shocked about how good it was. The flight attendants were really kind and friendly and seemed like that they loved their jobs. One thing I wasn't too happy about was that their IFE had a limited selection of programs and that you had to download this terrible app to use it. The flight was 4 hours and 19 minutes and would absolutely fly with them again.
RouteSan Diego to Newark
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"hesitant to use Alaska again"

Verified Review | Seattle to Los Angeles. My flight was delayed and I missed several connecting flights, had to pay for a hostel I didn't stay in, a hotel for layover, missed my ride, missed classes, wasted a day of vacation, and have no time to settle in with my host family. I get that stuff happens but doing all you can to fix a wrong is appreciated and good costumer service. Alaska Airlines staff repeatedly told me it wasn't their fault but I'm the customer and it wasn't my fault either. If you provide a service sub par make it right and don't make a costumer feel like it was their mistake or that they have to pay for a mistake they didn't cause. I paid for a hotel and would have had to pay too much to get on the next flight out. That is unreasonable. I will be hesitant to use Alaska again.
RouteSeattle to Los Angeles
Date FlownMarch 2017

"a nice travel experience"

Unverified | Seattle to Ronald Reagan Washington Airport. Comfortable, clean, on time, great FAs. A direct service to Washington DCA Airport so short taxi ride to Capitol. Just a nice travel experience as always. Boardroom at Seattle is falling below the standards now set by the Amex Centurion lounge and the new Delta lounge - but no big deal.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteSEA to DCA
Date FlownMarch 2017

"never fly this airline again"

Unverified | Portland to New York JFK via Seattle. We showed up at Portland Airport for an 8pm flight. Our gate was switched twice, a sign of what was to come. As was the hard of hearing old man that the gate staff refused to help. The 8pm flight was delayed so badly that it became clear that we would miss our connection in Seattle. The bumbling idiots at the ticket counter couldn't figure out a solution to this issue, since their system doesn't link with better airlines (such as Jetblue). They put us up in a hotel for the night with the promise of a non-stop first class, 6:15am flight (to Newark, when our car was at JFK). Midway through the flight, we are diverted to Pittsburg, where we were trapped on the plane for 3 hours. After an announcement that we were going to Baltimore next, we took off for Newark, landing at 7:30pm . From 6:15am to 7:30, we were offered one fruit plate and some small snacks. We had to take a cab home. The next morning, we took a two buses and a train to our car at JFK . Mutiple calls to Alaskan airlines were met with indifference, attitude and a gusty offer to join their mileage program! I will never fly this airline again.
RoutePortland to JFK via Seattle
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"not let her mother go to meet her "

Verified Review | Salt Lake City to Los Angeles with Alaska Airlines. This was the second time my 13 year old went as an unaccompanied minor. And both times they would not let her mother go back to meet her at the gate without me having to call the airline and her having to get the manager at the airport. Both times I called to make sure it was done correctly. And both times it was done incorrectly I will not be using this airline again for an unaccompanied minor.
RouteSalt Lake City to Los Angeles

"Outstanding customer service"

Verified Review | Seattle to Fairbanks. Outstanding customer service as always. Final leg of my flight from Tucson, AZ to Fairbanks, AK. Previous flights were with American Airlines who across the board were not very helpful. What set Alaska Airlines apart from the rest is their ability to tell customers what they can do, verses reiterating what they can't do. Alaska Airlines is flexible and values their flyers!
RouteSeattle to Fairbanks
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"they had the family split up"

Verified Review | We booked our flights in July 2016 with Alaska. It's February 2017. From Kona to Seattle they had the family split up including our 5 year old. They did not care at all (that's the way flights work she said they have to make money). Then the flight attendant prosseded to give my 5 year old pop every time he would ask but my wife and I were not sitting in same row and could not see. My wife got to sit beside 2 people that had to use belt extensions - it was fun for her. When we got to Seattle they had seats for us - one for me but the kids and wife they oversold. They know when you book flights how old people are so the idea of splitting up a mother or father and a 5 year old is ridiculous. The other part is how do you oversell a seat when you book it 8 months early.
RouteKelowna to Kona via Seattle
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"Alaska is my third choice"

Verified Review | Seattle to Los Angeles. Alaska Airlines has gotten better over the years but still has a ways to go. Many of their flights are still late and they generally do an awful job of updating the electronic screens at the gates. The screen will say a flight is boarding in 5 minutes when there isn't even a plane at the gate. It's also comical how Alaska charges most of their passengers to check a bag but then offers to do it for free as nearly every flight has issues with overhead bin space. So if you're flying Alaska check in online and choose zero bags to check. A screen or two later Alaska will usually offer to let you check your carry-on for free. And even if they don't, they almost certainly will offer to do so at the gate. Why not offer a free checked bag to everyone if you're going to offer that anyway? It's not fair to those who paid to check their bags. On the plus side their newest planes (the "next gen" 737-800 and -900) have more generous legroom and power at your seat. On the downside you have to use your own device for inflight entertainment. Alaska could learn something from Virgin American (which they now own). They do offer free (for now) streaming shows over WiFi but it's cumbersome, buggy, and you have to click past several screens trying to sell you GoGo inflight WiFi. While they offer a decent selection of paid food and beverages they have only a single food and beverage cart for the entire plane and a 737-900 is a long plane. So it takes something like 45 minutes for the service to work its way from the front to the back. But my biggest complaint about Alaska is they have many flights that are chronically late, yet they refuse to change the scheduled times. Even the flight crews have no explanation why they don't change the scheduled times. Southwest flies many of the same routes and puts Alaska to shame with their on-time record on those flights. And if anything goes wrong, like bad weather (we recently had snow in Seattle, for example) look out as Alaska turns into total chaos - especially at SeaTac. Wait times exceed one hour for calling them, lines stretch way down the hall from their customer service counters, their website falls on its face from the load, etc. And if you do stand in line for hours trying to rebook your cancelled, or infinitely delayed, flight, you're usually offered nothing useful and a joke of a customer care package. Basically they just seem not to care as they already have your money. Alaska charges at least $125 to make any changes to most flights and it's often horrifically expensive if you have to make a last minute change. This is in stark contrast to Southwest that charges no penalties for changes. Alaska's boarding is annoying with several "tiers" of preboarding which often amounts to at least a third of the plane with many of those people still blocking the aisles once they start general boarding. Again, Southwest is a far more pleasant and efficient experience. But airlines like United are even worse in this regard. Overall, for west coast travel I often have my pick of Southwest, Virgin America, Alaska, Delta, and United. And I try to book flights in that order of priority. Alaska is my third choice after Southwest and Virgin.
RouteSeattle to Los Angeles
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"should be ashamed of overcharging"

Unverified | Seattle to Anchorage. Had to change flight to a later one with open seats. They wanted an additional 400 plus dollars as a change fee. I wish that the Seattle to Anchorage flight was covered by multiple carriers. Alaska Airlines has a monopoly on this route and can do whatever they want and I'm tired of them. You are a terrible airline and should be ashamed of overcharging.
RouteSeattle to Anchorage