Alaska Airlines

"booked me on an oversold flight"

Verified Review | Seattle to Ontario. Flight was canceled and then they booked me on an oversold flight. It is extremely frustrating when you get the the ticket counter and the attendant tells you that the flight is overbooked! Who's fault is that? They make it sound like it is our fault.
RouteSeattle to Ontario
Date FlownAugust 2017

"our bags did not make it on the plane"

Verified Review | We flew from Saint Louis to Anchorage with Alaska Airlines. One of our bags did not make it on the plane in Seattle. When we arrived to Anchorage, we realized it did not arrive. The luggage service told us they did not put the suitcase on in Seattle because the "plane was too heavy". They offered a $25 discount on future travel! They could not tell us when our luggage would arrive, despite at least 10 flights a day from Seattle to Anchorage. Furthermore, they could not tell us when we would receive a bag. Finally, they could not tell us what kind of allowance we could have to purchase gear needed for fishing which was in our bag. To make matters worse, the airline never communicated with us via phone to provide updates. The following morning, almost 24 hours later, the bag had not arrived. We were then informed initially that it would be on a train, then on a bus to Seward, 2.5 hours from Anchorage. The bag was then delivered to a random Bed and Breakfast in Seward. After multiple phone calls and hours spent, the bag was located and delivered to our lodge approximately 30 hours after arrival. Customer service could only offer $300 off future travel, even though we told them we wanted something else.
RouteSt Louis to Anchorage

"most disappointing flight"

Verified Review | Seattle to Honolulu. This was the most disappointing flight of my life. I had paid for Premium Seats at $60US extra. Then 3 days before our flight they email us, not call, to tell me that they are changing the aircraft and there are no premium seats. Well what happened to my $120? Oh it will takes up to 14 days to get that back sir. So not only did we loose our great seats in our this money till it's returned on there accord. During the flight we asked to by chips 3-4 times, every time they said ' Oh we are just checking for those". Finally we land and still no chips during a 6 hour flight. Also, no Wifi connectivity through out the entire flight! Way to go Alaska airlines. I know I will never fly with them again.
RouteSeattle to Honolulu
Date FlownAugust 2017

"comfortable seats with power outlets"

Verified Review | The gross difference in cost for a first class ticket from Portland to Kansas City was around $314. $554 for first class, $240 for economy. Savings of $50 for 2 checked bags, around $10 (I think) for the hot meal, $7 each per drink, snack. Net difference is around $247, or $124 each 3 hr 30 min leg. FC ticket allows use of AL lounge at PDX (none at MCI), which was OK. FC cabin has 12 comfortable seats with power outlets and dedicated flight attendant. Free Gogoinflight service is barely satisfactory. Service, food and drinks were all good on both legs. Excellent FC check in service at both ends. Boarding / exiting first with ample overhead bins is nice. Question is: Would I fly FC again to this destination? Frankly, it's a toss up.
AircraftE75
RoutePortland to Kansas City
Date FlownJuly 2017

"on time performance continues to decrease"

Verified Review | Another late flight out of SFO, which was 100 percent Alaska's fault. I've been MVP Gold 75k for 6-7 years in a row and their service and on time performance continues to decrease. This trip we fully boarded on time and at departure time the pilot announced that the plane wasn't fueled yet and was waiting on a fuel truck. 40 minutes later one showed up. This plane was sitting at the gate 30 minutes before boarding even started so there was no excuse. Ever since Alaska merged with Virgin, and moved to the Virgin gates, performance has plummeted. I plan to spend more and more on Delta. You no longer earn my business Alaska.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSan Francisco to Seattle
Date FlownJuly 2017

"this trip was not a good one"

Verified Review | Redmond to Reno via Portland. I've had a lot of good experiences with AlaskaAir, but this trip was not a good one. Two hours before the flight, I get an e-mail saying "Sorry, your flight has been canceled." However, the e-mail, ios app, and online all showed the same exact itinerary. It wasn't until I arrived at Portland did everything update to show that my PDX-RNO flight was completely canceled. I was auto-booked for a flight the next day. Not only is that terrible, but the lady at the counter was able to fit me into the last seat on a flight that afternoon, which means the auto-booking system isn't helpful. I had to sit in Portland twiddling my thumbs for 8 hours, and it was awful. Here's the redeeming qualities of Alaska Airlines, the rep gave me some vouchers for food and snacks, and discount codes for my next booking. Not a worthy trade to me, but at least they were apologetic and tried to remedy the situation as best they could. Like I said, this was my only bad experience with Alaska so I won't swear them off for that. Except for the flight attendant that skipped over me for a drink. That was annoying.
RouteRedmond to Reno via Portland
Date FlownJuly 2017

"It was a terrible experience"

Verified Review | My husband and I have flown Alaska several times to LA before and have never had a problem with them. However, this time I was traveling back to Washington alone with my 2 year old. We called earlier and asked if someone would be able to help me carry his 40 lb car seat to the gate. They said if we arrived 2 hours earlier we could request a gate pass. So on the day of the departure we arrived early and found out that they wouldn't give us one. No explanation. So I had to carry the car seat, my luggage, and have my 2 year old running behind me to make it through the tsa screening and walk all around to find our gate. It was a terrible experience and I don't understand why they said one thing on the phone and then no in person. The actual ride wasn't bad but I don't think we will use Alaska Airlines again.
RouteLos Angeles to Seattle
Date FlownJune 2017

"very helpful, great service"

(Norway)

Verified Review | Alaska Airlines flight from Redmond to Portland, and was then headed to Oslo, Norway after that. I only checked my luggage to Portland and thought I had to get it and check it again. A very nice lady checked the possibilities to check my luggage all the way, and I did not even ask for it. I did not have my flight numbers ready but she just fixed it all for me and was so very helpful. Great service.
RouteRedmond to Portland

"a top notch experience"

Verified Review | Detroit to Seattle. Phenomenal service, excellent food. This is my first time flying Alaska, and I chose them because they're partners with Virgin, it was my best flight in a quite a while. This plane was older and the interior was showing wear, so I was a little concerned about what to expect - worry not, you're in for a top notch experience with Alaska Airlines. Service was super friendly and attentive, meals were designed by Seattle chef Tom Douglas (I skipped the entree & dessert, so I can't comment on that) but the salad was very nice, dinner smelled wonderful (pesto), dessert was gorgeous, and the beverages never stopped flowing. I've read reviews that Alaska's first class chairs are uncomfortable due to pitch, I didn't find this to be the case - I found them very comfy, but this was only a 4-5 hour flight. The only slight negative was I had planned to work in-flight and the barely there internet connection made that impossible - they use GoGo and it runs $24 for an in flight pass. I'm not sure if the wifi problems were a GoGo issue, a hardware issue, or due to some other factor. I didn't mind though, it was nice to take a break and enjoy some on board entertainment. Even better - the cost for this first class nonstop flight was only around $100 more than the next best option - an economy carrier with seating headaches, no meal service, and connections amounting to twice the travel time! Alaska Airlines - my new favorite carrier!.
RouteDetroit to Seattle
Date FlownJune 2017

"cabin crew were all very nice"

Verified Review | My first experience with Alaska Airlines flying from Portland to San Francisco. Not happy with ground staff who charged me 75 dollars for a slightly overweight check-in luggage. I was travelling with a First class ticket and with my baby. On board, cabin crew were all very nice. The purser provided us with an outstanding service. It was highly appreciated specially as I was travelling with a very young baby.
RoutePortland to San Francisco