Air Zimbabwe

Air Zimbabwe customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

With an unexpected weekend off in Harare and Victoria Falls beckoning Air Zim was the only option so we took a deep breath and booked. Outbound flight on 27-year-old B732 which left the stand with the precision of a Swiss train at 0800 and zero seconds. Served a reasonable snack and coffee and on-time arrival. Return flight on Sunday was on a leased E145 fully booked with departure from the stand 5 minutes early and again nice snack and drink en route. The crew was 75% SAA. Overall could have no complaints at all.
Cabin FlownEconomy

Review by

Living and working in South Africa I fly home to Zimbabwe fairly often and try to be patriotic and use the national airline. I have only been delayed once in the past year. Food is good and service also of acceptable standards. Ggetting through to the Joburg offices is another story altogether - overall I think Air ZIm are doing the best they can with the resources at their disposal.

Review by

Harare-London-Harare. Originally booked flight on Friday which was cancelled. Flights were punctual and staff friendly. Old planes and no entertainment. But being the only direct flight to Europe from Harare and with prices less then half of any other airline still OK for anybody wanting a cheap flight to London as long as one has the flexibility to cope with changes of schedule.

Review by

I was on my flight back from London. There is never any inflight entertainment on your long haul journeys and yet they is a projector onboard - very disappointing. One of the flight attendants back chats when I ask for a refreshment because I could not sleep - he tells me sir do you know it is four in the morning! It is not good to arrive at the airport and get told that the aircraft has to stop over in Lusaka to refuel!.

Review by

I thought I would try out Air Zimbabwefrom Harare as it is a direct flight to London and I dislike the long wait at Joburg airport when flying SAA/BA etc. However having had my Wednesday night flight postponed until Thursday then that cancelled until Friday then Friday flight cancelled without a single reason or apology. I figure 5 hours in Joburg is a small price to pay. Shame on you Air Zimbabwe. Never again.

Review by

As I write I cannot even express my feelings because of the mannerism of Air Zimbabwe staff. I was bound on a flight from Harare to Bulawayo on 15 March and little did I know that I was going to lose all the things I was travelling to get in Bulawayo. I did not go to Bulawayo after all because the flight was supposedly overbooked. I was there in time for check in - ie. one and a half hours early. I was in the queue only to be advised that the flight was now full. To my disgust the airport staff were not even helpful. We were then told that they might be a flight at 1:30pm that will travel to Vic Falls and then get to Bulawayo around 10:30 pm. I needed to be in Bulawayo at 10am. Why weren't we told that there was a plane down early enough for us to find alternative transport. To add insult to injury I am told I can't get my refund until after six weeks. This was not my fault. The inefficiency of Air Zimbabwe leaves a lot to be desired.

Review by

Return trip to Harare and a satisfying experience on both occasions. I geared myself up for what I prejudged would be an awful flight it was cheap so decided to take the risk. I am pleased to say my flight was extremely enjoyable. The food staff all friendly and highly efficient the captain - a lady entertainment and most importantly the wine was all brilliant.

Review by

21st December 2006. My wife and I booked our flight in May 2006 and duly arrived at Gatwick for our scheduled 6pm flight. We got through baggage check in having waited over 2 hours then 90 minutes getting through security and passport control. Entered departure lounge but no information on screens about our flight. We decided to go to gate 34 which was printed on our boarding pass and met all the other travellers but no Air Zimbabwe staff or representatives in sight. It was only when a fellow passenger got through to Air Zimbabwe London on her mobile phone that we were told the flight had been cancelled for "technical reasons" .We had to go through passport control and baggage reclaim as if we had just arrived at Gatwick and then join a huge queue of weary travellers at the Air Zimbabwe agency to see what was going on. It would have taken hours to be seen so we reluctantly went home. On the 22nd December we made 50 plus calls to Air Zimbabwe Gatwick but whoever eventually picked up the phone just put the receiver down without saying anything! Eventually Air Zimbabwe London answered and promised to call me with information that day which they did and informed me categorically that we were on the11am flight on Saturday 23rd December. We duly arrived at Gatwick at 6am and waited for the Air Zimbabwe check in to open. By 9am no sign of any check in so more frantic calls to Air Zimbabwe Gatwick and London. Gatwick office were not answering and London were closed for the weekend! Another traveller got hold of Air Zimbabwe Harare and was told there was a flight at 5.30 that day. Eventually an Air Zim check in opened at 2.15pm and literally hundreds of people queued many more than the plane could carry! Scores of people jumped the queue and mayhem ensued. Eventually the airport security announced that the flight was for those who had not travelled on the 21st December and anyone else would not fly that day! You can imagine the impact that had on those with tickets to fly that day. Eventually we got to the departure lounge and to our gate for boarding. An hour later an Air Zimbabwe spokesman announced the crew had been delayed and would be with us soon. An hour later they arrived in one's and two's and eventualy we boarded the aircraft only to be told by the captain that the baggage had yet to be loaded ! We eventually took off at 10.30pm after spending over 16 hours at Gatwick at our second attempt to get to our destination .Consequently we will never ever fly Air Zimbabwe again and urge other would be passengers to think again .

Review by

I took my friend to London-Gatwick on 24-12-06. He was expecting to fly with Air Zimbabw eat 1900 hrs that evening & arrive in Harare at 7am on Christmas day. On trying to check in we realised there were 2 separate queues one for those with tickets for 23 Dec and one for those with tickets for 24 Dec. That is all the information that was given and no explanation - even though there was only one flight scheduled for Harare that evening. We waited for 4 hrs only to be told that those with tickets for 24 Dec were not flying because their plane had been given to those whose flight had been cancelled the previous day!?

Review by

What a disgrace of an airline Air Zimbabwe has become. We have had three incidents with this 'joke' of an air line in as many weeks. Flights delayed by many hours leaving Harare then diverting to Kenya to refuel and finally arriving in London up to 8 HOURS later than scheduled arrival. Flights to Harare from London delayed by 24 hours and a total attitude of indifference shown by Air Zimbabwe officials in London. My advice to anyone thinking of flying to and from Harare with Air Zimbabwe - DO NOT fly with this ghastly airline. Chose BA or SAA.