Vote Now

Air India

"complaint is about ground personnel"

Verified Review | I have no complaint about the service we received on our flight other than the entertainment system was somewhat hard to use and that my husband could find no classical music which he usually enjoys listening to on long haul flights. My complaint is about the ground personnel for Air India in Delhi. Due to a mechanical problem on our flight from Kolkata we missed our connection to a Lufthansa flight in Delhi. Lufthansa could not help us book a new flight and told us that Air India had to do it. When we finally made our way to the Air India booking desk there was a mob at the desk, not an organized queue. Would it be too much to put up some ropes so that people could queue and be helped in an orderly manner? When we finally got the attention of a person at the desk she said we had to contact Lufthansa in order to rebook which was the opposite of what Lufthansa told us. She gave us a voucher for a hotel and told us to contact Lufthansa in the morning. It was now 5 am. The hotel was horrible. It looked to be still under construction. It was cold and in a noisy neighborhood. The breakfast was awful. We could not reach Lufthansa with the phone numbers that Air India had given us the night before so we had to head back to the airport after getting less than three hours of sleep. This time there was no mob in front of the Air India booking desk but the man who helped us was interrupted 10 times while serving us. He told us he needed a ticket number to rebook the flight. Why didn't the Air India woman the previous night tell us this? After we provided him with that number it took him 2 hours to make the new booking. Then we had 13 hours to wait for our flight with no comfortable place to wait since we were told we could not access the Business Class Lounge until 4 hours before our flight. When we were finally allowed to check in for the flight the personnel at the Air India Business Class desk could only be described as surly. I find it difficult to believe that Air India truly wants its employees to treat passengers especially those who have paid a premium to fly in business class to be treated so poorly.
RouteDelhi to Chicago
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"an old Boeing 777, dirty interior"

Verified Review | Goa to London via Mumbai. We flew air India on the 12/13th February 2017 initially from Goa to Mumbai. The flight was delayed to Mumbai by 30 minutes, then we were told the flight would be 1 hour delayed, in the end the flight was delayed by over 3 hours resulting in our connecting flight on Jet Airways being missed back to the UK. The whole experience was handled very poorly by the ground staff at Goa, there were no announcements regarding the reason why or any updates. After 2 hours, more passengers started to arrive for the later flight so it was obvious that the two flights were being combined. On arrival and at check in, we were handed boarding passes with a capital D printed on the boarding pass, indicating delayed but the new arrivals were issued regular boarding passes. As it turned out, we departed Goa at 01.30 on the 12th February, we knew by this stage that the connecting flight was not possible. On our arrival at Mumbai we were left to our own devices with Air India totally washing their hands of our situation. The ground staff were aggressive, dismissive, rude and generally not getting involved. At one point we were sent to the customer information desk in the airport, it was not an Air India information desk, just a general desk for airport services. Jet Airways would have nothing to do with us either, blaming the other airline, (this will be another review). We ended up buying 2 new tickets on Air India to Birmingham via Delhi, (it was the only flight out that morning,) would you believe it but this flight was delayed by 2.5hrs so we missed our connecting flight once again. We were offered the next flight out to London Heathrow, we had boarding passes issued, collected our luggage, checked in again and rushed to the departure gate, managed to get on the plane and would you believe: we were delayed by another 2 hours. It appears this is a very common everyday issue for this airline. On my return to the UK, I was informed by other travellers that the exact same delay occurred on the Friday night. The flight was not the best, an old Boeing 777, dirty interior, absolutely filthy toilets that smelled terrible. The inflight entertainment system on our seats stopped working after 40 minutes, this happened on 2 occasions so we were not able to watch anything in full, not even the shorter programs. My only praise for this whole experience were the cabin crew on this leg from Delhi to Heathrow, they were jolly, chatty and polite. Since my return, I have tried to contact Air India numerous times for a delayed flight certificate, but with no reply. I'm not sure if they have any customer support in the UK but if they do, they dont want to be found. I was told to travel to Heathrow to Air India ticket office to collect the certificate. 500 miles round trip from my home, I dont think that will happen. So my overall view of Air India is not a good one, I personally would not fly them again unless there were no other carrier's flying to that particular airport. One piece of advice, if your flying to join another flight in Mumbai please give yourself ample time at least 6 hours if not more just in case of delays.
RouteGoa to London via Mumbai
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"our experience was very positive"

Verified Review | We booked Air India for our trip from the UK to Goa because they offered the most convenient connection through Mumbai with minimal stopover time. It also offered very good value for money. Then I read the very negative reviews on this site and began to wish we hadn't. However our experience was very positive. This review is of the Mumbai to London long haul leg but it equally applies to our outbound leg. The connection at Mumbai is rather chaotic and involves a lot of different people stamping boarding cards and luggage labels to no good purpose after our internal flight from Goa. We then had a short wait in the terminal before the gate showed as open. There were no announcements at the gate then suddenly it was a hurry for everyone to board at once. No seat row priority. However we were near the front of economy so that wasn't a problem. Seats in economy on the 787 have comparatively generous legroom and are slightly wider than normal. Overall very comfortable with quite a lot of recline if you want it, and a foot rest if you have short legs. The flight was all in daylight, taking off at 07.00 and landing 11.30 (local times). The 787's electronic window blinds were effective in reducing solar glare and the cabin lighting made for a restful experience. IFE had a good range of Hollywood and Bollywood films, with a few recent releases and some older Hoclassics. TV channels in English were exclusively American shows, some well known comedies but the rest very mediochre. The audio channel has no western music, best bring your own. A map is available with various view options. On the outbound flight the touchscreen was problematic but inbound it worked perfectly. We had two full meals on this ten hour flight. A full hot breakfast soon after we took off and hot lunch a couple of hours before landing. It's a long time since I've had such good good on a long haul, full service carrier. Usually you get one meal and a snack. Drinks were served (with peanuts) some while before lunch. No more alcoholic drinks were offered but they were available from the galley if you asked. We had opted for a standard meal, which on Air India means some kind of curry. I found it tasty and well spiced without being overpowering. They had in fact run out of the non-veg lunch option by the time we were served but we were given a vegetarian curry with a seperate side dish of chicken curry. Excellent service. On many airlines you would just have to put up with what was left. Tea and coffee were served after lunch (tea first). Cabin crew offered water regularly throughout the flight to keep passengers hydrated. Despite this being a day flight the cabin lighting was kept dim and I was able to get several hours sleep.. Several reviews here comment on the bad state of the toilets. There were no such problems on either of our flights. Everything was as clean as any western airline. I suppose you might have a bad experience going into a toilet after someone has been ill, or made a mess, but that can happen on any airline. Air India has just as high standards of cleanliness as any other major carrier. In one sense Air India is like travelling back in time. The in flight service is old school full service. Nothing is skimped. Even the in flight magazine has interesting and well written articles to read, it isn't just a shopping catalogue. Cabin crew were uniformly courteous and helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with Air India again, especially on the 787.
RouteMumbai to London Heathrow
Date FlownMarch 2017

"received a particularly poor experience"

Verified Review | I have received a particularly poor experience from Air India and would like to pass this feedback onto other travellers as I don't want anyone else to suffer as I have done. Events as follows: 1) Outbound flight Mumbai to Goa - scheduled itinerary change, ie the flight was moved back - this didn't cause me a massive problem but was symptomatic of further issues ahead. 2) Return flight Goa to Mumbai - frequent scheduled itinerary change emails and an email for me to change to an earlier flight (by 13hrs). The changes reduced the window for my connecting flight back to the UK, however Air India said I would still catch the flight ok. Flight was actually delayed by 3 hours, consequently I missed my flight back to London. Air India said that because the flights were bought on different tickets they would not get me home. Additional flight purchased to London as a result. My hold luggage got to Mumbai but has been lost, hence, I have no hesitation in rating as Air India as a 1/10 and have since learned they are notorious, please be warned and do not be attracted by their headline cheap flights.
RouteMumbai to Goa
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"was a horrible experience"

Verified Review | Kathmandu to Heathrow via Delhi. It was my first flight with Air India. It was good connection flight for me so wanted to try Air India. I am not fussy passenger. It was fine when I flew to Kathmandu but way back had a horrible experience. The crew members have very bad attitude and are very rude. When first snacks peneuts and soft drink was served, I requested the cabin crew that I would like to have cup of tea insead of soft drink please and she said that I have to wait till after dinner for tea. I seated to wait after dinner. I had transit flight got headache. I went to washroom and ask a gentleman if possible to have cup of tea please, he said " of course". The lady who refused me before was came to me and asked why I am asking him tea as she just told me to wait after dinner. I told her that sorry but I am allowed to have tea. This is a small incident. Dinner was served. It was a different lady walking through by my seat. I stopped her and request her may I please have cup of water, she was very angry. I thought she did not hear me properly, I asked her a bit louder again. She started arguing with me why I am shouting at her. I said I am not shouting you I thought you did not hear me. I would like to have cup of water for my tablets please. She never came back. Very bad service. My TV remote control did not work and I did not bother to request to change the seat, but refusing for a cup of water is impossible. I won't fly with Air India again. It was a horrible experience.
RouteKathmandu to Heathrow via Delhi
Date FlownMarch 2017

"bathrooms were just gross"

Unverified | Flew Air India direct from New York to Delhi round trip. Flight departed late both times. Air India did a poor job of queue management both times. Even though they announced boarding by row, they still let anyone board regardless of seat number. This is especially frustrating because the predominantly indian crowd on either flight seemed to enjoy pushing their way through while ignoring the line of people actually waiting patiently. The seats were uncomfortable and didn't have enough cushioning especially when reclined. It felt like you were sitting on metal when the seat was reclined. This made a 14 hour flight almost painful. The bathrooms were just gross. In the first flight, there was pee on the bathroom floor that did not get cleaned up for the entire flight. The 'cleaning' by flight attendants involved regularly spraying air freshener in the lavatories. On the return flight, there wasn't even a soap dispenser! The soap was in a plastic water bottle with a crude hole punched on the top. The entertainment options were a coin toss. On one of the flights, the TV simply did not work even after they tried to reset it multiple times. On the flight that it did actually work, the entertainment options in English were limited and outdated. On the plus side however, there were 3 meal services (United only does 2 on a similar length flight). And the food tasted decent. Not good, but not bad either.
RouteDelhi to New York JFK

"a simply awful carrier"

Verified Review | Colombo to Moscow via Delhi. What a simply awful carrier, my niece flew to Sri Lanka for 6 months returning home to Moscow for Christmas. All four flights times and dates were changed. Even after calling their help desk and getting the flights changed to what was needed, they were changed again. Now to cap it all her flights back in May have also been changed, leaving Colombo Fri 19th May, arriving Delhi at 1205, so far so good? She then has to overnight in Delhi for 31 hours, leaving Delhi on Sat 20th May at 1910. When I called their help line to ask why she could not have a seat on the 1910hrs flight out on the 19th, I was immediately passed on to someone else, who after putting me on hold for over 10 minutes told me they could do nothing about it and to call Colombo. I have never spoken to more unhelpful people who clearly could not care less that a young woman will be all alone in Delhi and not knowing where to get a good hotel etc. Disgraceful does not even begin to cover their attitude. I would not recommend this airline or its people to anyone.
RouteColombo to Moscow via Delhi
Date FlownMarch 2017

"everything was an effort"

Verified Review | Flew Birmingham to Delhi with Air India. Decent plane but poorly organised check in, left one hour late and landed late because of fog they said, missed our connecting flight to Varanasi and they were no help at all. Inflight entertainment poor, grumpy staff except a couple, didn't monitor the cabin, everything was an effort. One screen didn't work at all on the return and earphone plug on way out was damaged. Never had one of their flights that took off on time. Would never use them again even on a direct flight.
AircraftDreamliner
RouteBHX to DEL

"worst experience ever"

Verified Review | Worst experience ever with Air India! I traveled alone with my 9 month old son from Frankfurt to Delhi and onto Sydney! It's a very long and exhausting flight and I think everybody knows with a baby it's even harder! The first problems started when they weren't be able to print the boarding pass for my son. They kept me 2 hours in front of the check-in that I couldn't care properly for my son. Just waiting. Without toilet, food or anything! After this 2 hours they gave me just the boarding pass until Delhi and I had to run carrying my son and all the luggage to the boarding as this had started already. Really stressful! My son was starving and already to tired to eat. Luckily I ordered a bassinet in advance for the whole flight. When we arrived in Delhi we had a 3 hours stopover. And again they kept us 3 hours in front of the security check because of the boarding pass. No toilets, no food again - just hard chairs to wait on. I was really desperate as my son was just crying. They didn't care. I got more and more stressed. At the end they wrote a manual boarding pass and I had to run again to the boarding to get my 12 hours flight. Terrible!
RouteFRA to SYD via DEL
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"friendly, patient, efficient cabin crew"

Verified Review | This flight from Bodhgaya to Delhi was the latest of about 20 domestic flights sectors completed with Air India over the last 3 - 4 years. The level of service has remained consistent in all areas, with some aspects of service stronger than others. This flight was originally due to depart Bodhgaya at 14.35h arriving in Delhi at 16.25h. An initial delay to a revised 16.00h departure was notified by e-mail several hours in advance. Check-in queue management at Bodhgaya airport was poor but agent service was good once you eventually got to the check-in desk. After further delay at Bodhgaya airport the flight eventually departed shortly after 18.00h and arrived at Delhi at about 20.00h. Not a single delay announcement was made at Bodhgaya airport and the information board simply showed the word 'delay' next to the flight number. We had no idea how long the delay would be until we saw our aircraft land. Except for an expensive coffee kiosk there were no customer facilities while waiting. The flight itself was straightforward and typical of one on Air India's short-haul A320 fleet with friendly, patient, efficient cabin crew and reasonably comfortable seating in a slightly grubby cabin. A simple in-flight snack was served. No announcements from the captain except an abrupt order for cabin crew to take their seats for take off and again for landing. Cabin crew announcements included a sincere apology for the delay. Arrived at Delhi's Terminal 3 where we exited through the international arrivals section because our flight had originated in Yangon, Burma, before picking up passengers in Bodhgaya. This meant that the domestic passengers among us had to join a long slow-moving queue to clear, bizarrely, passport control, where just two desks were dedicated to clearing many domestic passengers, presumably from several flights. It took more than an hour just to get as far as the baggage hall. The lesson is to remember to leave plenty of time if you take a domestic flight with Air India before connecting to an international flight.
RouteGAY to DEL