Air India

Review by (India)

Air India from FRA-DEL in business class. The ground staff in Frankfurt couldn't issue a boarding pass for my connecting flight in India (DEL-HYD), due to some technical issue. I absolutely understand that, not their fault. But the lady at the check in counter was rude. There was no priority boarding. The aircraft was clean and seat was comfortable. Was offered a pair of pyjamas. Very good choice of food and drinks. The on board staff was excellent and attentive , a very pleasant surprise after the experience on the ground.
RouteFrankfurt to Delhi

Review by (Canada)

We took Air India from Chennai to Paris via Delhi. The first flight was on an A320, early morning departure, flight was on-time, good clean flight, breakfast was served. FA's were attentive, IFE was basic with just a few channels. Delhi to Paris was on brand new B787 Dreamliner, excellent flight, on-time arrival in Paris. Lunch and snack was served with choice of Indian and continental. FA's were young and answered the call button that my kids pressed a few times. IFE was better and had good selection of latest Hollywood movies. The best thing I would say is the seat pitch at 33 inches, good leg room. AI product has improved and you can notice they are responsive.
RouteChennai to Paris via Delhi

Review by (United Kingdom)

I would personally not recommend this airline. Really bad customer service at Delhi airport. Once in air, service appalling and the food was bad.
RouteDelhi to London

Review by (United Kingdom)

On the outbound journey LHR-DEL-BKK we wondered what the bad reviews were all about with good service and edible food albeit the standard curry or vegetarian on offer and a good selection of drinks available, however on the return flight the true horrors of this airline materialised. Breakfast, frozen melon and cold omelette with 2 frankfurters plus something in the corner of the dish which I have no idea what it was. Lunch, frozen curry, frozen salad and an ice cold bread roll, really appetising to say the least. The cabin crew warmed the meal up twice but it was still frozen. The plus side if there was one was the cost of the flight, saved us almost a £1000 on the 4 tickets in total so I think the old saying "you get what you pay for" sums up Air India.
AircraftDreamliner
RouteBKK to LHR via Delhi

Review by (Canada)

Air India maintained timely performance on all my segments. Beyond that, everything is downhill. Air India crew keeps their luggage on the First Class overhead bin. There was no room for me to place my hand luggage. Air India staff (head inflight attendant) told me to go keep it somewhere else or just leave it on the floor! Note: this is the response for a First Class Passenger! Meals were not served in First Class (at least the breakfast). No one came and spoke to you or welcomed you. If meals were served on-demand, on should let the passenger know - right? It was different when checking in though - staff escorted you to the lounge. For some reason, food items that need to be cold (cheese especially) were all in room temperature - not sure why and was not appealing to the taste buds. Food presentation was horrible. Inconsistent service and very chaotic inside the plane throughout the flight. There was no orderliness. Air India is cutting costs and one can tell. Entertainment sucks - especially the TV quality. Inflight map did not work. Looking at flight attendants and their attitude one wonders how they would cope in emergencies. I will not fly them again.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteNewark to Mumbai via DEL

Review by (United Kingdom)

Check in quick, Fast track security pass and invitation to no 1 lounge at Birmingham. Lounge nothing special but it was a quiet space to sit. On boarding champagne offered and magazines and sorts of impeccable. Food was nice. My two young kids were with me on way back (3 and 5) and enjoyed it. Smoothies served on way back. Seats can be set to how you want in between sitting and lying nearly flat. I was worried about going air India but I wouldn't hesitate to go again because it's the only flight from Birmingham to Delhi direct. Service was excellent cabin is quiet and private (only 3 passengers going, 5 on way back). I also went Delhi to Calcutta business class on Boeing 777, and the cabin was tired. Returning from Calcutta business was full so I had to fly economy. Oh my god, I know what people here are talking about. It was horrible. Staff are not interested in anything. I just wanted it to be over. Cramped, full to the brim, food not nice. If your thinking of flying economy on Air India, you should probably switch to airline such as Singapore Airlines etc. if your going business, well depends how much your paying on our route it pretty competitive and the only direct flight.
RouteBHX to DEL

Review by (India)

I flew Air India while returning from Chicago, a direct connection from Chicago O'Hare Intl. Airport to Delhi Indira Gandhi International. Check-in wasn't very smooth, my carry-on was a couple of kilos over 7, and I was asked to transfer some of my stuff to my check-in, and I obliged. For several years I have travelled Air India, this was the first time my carry-on was checked for weight, but this is a welcome change that ultimately makes it so much more convenient for all the passengers. After boarding, we were kept waiting for the flight to take off, and were later informed that due to a technical snag, there would be a delay. Finally, after a delay of almost two hours, we took off for our destination. Air India have deteriorated in terms of food quality in the past couple of years, and I had little expectations from the in-flight meal. The food was bland, a spinach-based curry which tasted awful, and their signature bad bread. The IFE didn't have a lot of options, but the interface itself was okay. The headphones were sub-standard and not up to the mark. This was a big disappointment, considering that it's a long-haul flight lasting just a little under 15 hours. Service was okay-ish, the stewardesses just seemed to be doing their jobs. I felt there was a need for them to brush up their spoken-English, announcements were being made in poor English. Minor problem, but something that can be worked on. The cabin itself was good, the lavatories were surprisingly clean, and the seats were quite comfortable. Apart from the food and IFE, the journey itself was quite pleasing and 15 hours passed quickly. Although Air India is not right up there with the likes of Qatar Airways or Singapore Airlines, it is a pretty decent option on the ORD-DEL route.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteORD to DEL

Review by (United Kingdom)

Air India is the worst airline I have experienced in years, would never book this airline again. Don't trust the customer care details, they don't know about the information they are giving. Web check in is one of the hopeless part, they change your seats randomly without you noticing. Don't be attracted due to a bit less air fare, better to pay more and opt for other airlines. Inexperienced staff and customer care.
RouteMumbai to London via DEL

Air India customer review

Review by (United States)

The problems began with boarding. The message displayed was 'Final Call' but when we got to the gate, they hadn't even began boarding. A few confused passengers, breathless from running the length of the terminal, actually asked if this was the right gate. Why give wrong information to the passengers? This is a new plane and route introduced by Air India this year but the state of the plane was abysmal. The carpets had stains and the seats looked like they had been in use for many years. I expect some wear and tear but they have to do a better job with the upkeep. The cabin service was the worst I have ever experienced in a plane. Refreshments were not offered after take-off. The cabin crew couldn't care less about the safety of the passengers because they didn't do a double check on the safety belts, and no restrictions on electronic devices were imposed. It seemed to me that the attendants on my flight took every opportunity to sit and rest when the rest of us had empty trays sitting out. About 2 hours into the flight, I needed a glass of water. I pressed the Call button and waited for about 30 minutes. I was not the only one. I saw a lot of lights lit up in our section - no refreshments were offered. To my surprise, the attendant went to the small control screen near the exit door and turned off all the call lights! Nobody bothered to check on any of the passengers. Irate, I went up front and confronted one of the attendants. She said, point blank, that she was taking care of 'other things.' Was she flying the plane? I don't understand this level of indifference to your job. They definitely need more training. And this is the national carrier of India! I would not fly this airlines again unless I am really strapped for cash.
RouteBangkok to New Delhi

Review by (Italy)

I flew from Milan to Cochin via Delhi last week. The Flight was delayed 2 hours 45 minutes which was notified by the airline earlier that day. Dinner was served very quickly after take off and then passengers went to sleep. 4-5 hours later breakfast was served which was okay. I wanted to purchase some duty free products on board and I had to call the cabin crew, no one responded for nearly an hour, I found them chatting with their colleagues and when I asked for the duty free brochure list I was told, "Sorry Sir, we are going to land in 45 minutes and the duty free shop is closed". I was disappointed with their reply and had to return to my seat. The overall experience was below average for an Intercontinental flight.
AircraftBoeing 787 Dreamliner and A321