Air India

"Not up to standard at all"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | I'm not sure if there is no lounge for business class passenger travelling from Kolkata to Mumbai (domestic). Well, I asked the lady upon checking in, she said I can just go in (based on my experience with other airlines there will be an invitation card). So I walked in to the Travel Lounge or something on the first floor, I showed staff my boarding pass and asked politely if I can access. She asked for my AMEX card and then she just said "No Indian only". I just wanted to grab some hot coffee anyway so I went down to Coffee Bean to get one. Then I emailed to Air India's CS team, no reply after almost a week. The aircraft was pretty old and badly maintained. The food, geez.. I'll just get the coffee. I don't want to use gross to describe them because others enjoyed them I guess, but it's not delicious, like at all. I wonder why they are even a Star Alliance member airlines. Not up to standard at all from the moment I have checked in my flight. Oh, no in-flight entertainment either due to the old configuration of the aircraft. Nah, doesn't matter. I just wanted some extra space from the crowd.
RouteKolkata to Mumbai
Date FlownApril 2018

"was a pleasant experience"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Delhi on 29th March 2018. Flight was punctual, aircraft was new and well maintained. IFE at my seat was not working, I was offered another seat with working one (I opted to stay back as I wanted to sleep). Drinks were served with decent options followed by hot food with vegetarian and non-vegetarian options, and breakfast before landing. Only thing which bothered me was absence of smile and courtesy on Cabin crew. I understand the job is quite demanding but a little smile, thank you, please etc. can bring a lot of change. After all, the cabin crew is the face of any airline. Being 6 feet tall I had ample of space to spread my legs. Overall it was a pleasant experience.
RouteFrankfurt to Delhi
Date FlownMarch 2018

"never travel Air India again"

Trip Verified | Chicago to New Delhi. I was on a business class transfer (flown from Newark via United), to catch this flight. Boarding Staff Supervisor told me that I have to go Economy as the flight was full. I had the Business Class Boarding Pass in my hand. I get leg cramps on long flights so I pleaded not to make change. I was not aware of my rights in that situation and just wanted to leave (after snow storm.) Initially he refused to Air India boarding pass but I stood firm not to accept any change. Finally, Supervisor gave in after few back and forth. What a harassment? This was my first Air India flight and probably the last one. Will never travel Air India again.
RouteChicago to New Delhi

"an unhappy experience"

Trip Verified | Delhi to Singapore. I have been flying Air India for 4 years regularly but on international flights the staff seem to be getting worse and worse. On a flight which departs at 11 pm they insist on serving drinks from 11.45 to 12.45 in the night. You request the meal with your drink the person serving my section refused saying he will get it after drinks are served. I asked for a second refill of red wine and made the mistake of asking the stewardess serving the seat behind me. First she refused as it was not her section when i looked at her she said I could not serve a second glass of wine for 2 hours. I asked for a feedback form she refused and walked away. All in all, an unhappy experience.
RouteDelhi to Singapore
Date FlownMarch 2018

"signs of age were visible"

Trip Verified | Mumbai to New York via Delhi. The flight from Mumbai to Delhi was on time and dinner was served on this sector and while the IFE was working initially, it encountered some problems before landing but as this was a short sector it was overlooked. The flight leg from DEL to JFK was completely full and on this flight boarding started one hour earlier and on this 15 hour flight the seats were comfortable although after flying for a long time, signs of age were visible. The cabin crew were frequently checking on the passengers and provided three meal service on this flight which was very good and ensured that regular food/drink supplies were there. The crew themselves were quite positive and nice throughout the flight. Would recommend them and was good value for money.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteMumbai to New York via Delhi
Date FlownMarch 2018

"crew were very friendly"

Trip Verified | New York to Mumbai via Delhi. The return leg of this flight was around 85% full however the service on this sector provided by the crew was excellent. The flight took off on time which was followed by refreshments/lunch service. The crew were very friendly and full of smiles during the service and after lunch the cabin was dimmed during the rest period. Regular food was offered and the quantity and quality of the food provided was excellent. The seat was fairly comfortable, although showing signs of age which is expected when it has been in service for over a decade. The IFE may not been as vast containing 42738 odd movies like some other airlines but it was adequate enough during the trip and I even managed to watch a couple of movies but was unable to sleep due to infants crying continously and parents unable to pacify their babies but I was still able to rest for 2 hours or so and arrival into Delhi was on time. The remaining leg from DEL to BOM was on the star alliance Boeing 777 which was cool and a hot snack was offered on this route. Landing was on time and baggage was delivered smoothly on the carousel. Thank you Air India for a comfortable trip replete with good service. Would not hesitate to fly with them again.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteNew York to Mumbai via Delhi

"no inflight entertainment"

Trip Verified | Pune to Delhi, the aircraft is 8.6 years old with no inflight entertainment system. I guess Air India do not provide Entertainment system in domestic flight as of now. Also No choice of food for dinner, only veg meal was provided. The food was okay. Fortunately i got the first row in economy class (4D) so got good leg room.
RoutePune to Delhi
Date FlownMarch 2018

"happy with the flying experience"

Trip Verified | Mumbai to Delhi. Seat Comfort and Meal was good. Flight left on time and staff did their best to serve on board. To my surprise hot dinner was served on the domestic leg of international flight and the meal quality was pretty good. Seat pitch and comfort was better than average and I was quite happy with the flying experience.
RouteMumbai to Delhi
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"There are better airlines to fly"

Trip Verified | Newark to Mumbai return. The plane was modern with adequate legroom between seats and seats were rather comfortable. The biggest problem I noted was that the Inflight Entertainment system were not working properly. I sat in one seat and noticed the jack for the headphones would not accept my personal noise cancelling headphones or even the airlines' own headphones. The stewardess working on the flight made an incredulous expression when I pointed this out. I ended up changing seats to another two seats. All of them appeared to have problems with the inflight entertainment systems. Some did not have the touchscreen working. Others did not have their remote working and others had to be repeatedly restarted before they were usable. The flight attendants did not seem too concerned about this problem. I had similar problems on the flight back. Many of the passengers on both flights appeared to have inflight entertainment systems which were non functional or dysfunctional and the Air India entertainment system in general appears to be by far the most user unfriendly system I have ever encountered of any airline. This represents a major inconvenience on lung haul flights which are up to 15 hours in length. The Boeing 777s of Air India do not seem to be well maintained at all. Otherwise the planes are modern with fair catering and flight attendants who do their job while not being friendly. There are better airlines to fly between the US and India, though.
AircraftBoeing 777 300 ER
RouteNewark to Mumbai
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"happy with flight and service"

Trip Verified | London to Delhi. Generous seat pitch. Air India's 788 have 33 inch seat pitch with good leg room. The flight left on time and food quality was quite good. Service was average but nothing to complain. Air India can do better on cleanness and maintenance of plane. Overall, I was happy with flight and service.
RouteLondon to Delhi