Top 100 Airlines

Air India

"definitely not recommended"

Melbourne to Delhi with Air India, and never Again. I was given a voucher in Melbourne for a hotel layover in Delhi. I misplaced it, and informed the airline before I boarded the flight. They told me not to worry, as the voucher was only for my records and that the hotel at Delhi airport had all of my details. Of course, I should have worried. The hotel receptionist in Delhi just kept on repeating, "I need a voucher." He told me to see the Air India desk downstairs. Of course, there was no Air India desk. When I did track someone down, the gentleman was totally unsympathetic. He refused to help in any way whatsoever, or offer any alternative solutions. Not his problem, basically. So, either I was lied to in the first place, or the staff member in Delhi just couldn't be bothered doing anything about it. Or both. As for the flight: it took place totally in daylight, although you wouldn't know it. Within ten minutes of lift-off, the windows were tinted black, and nobody could do anything about it for the next twelve hours. The reading light was inoperable too, so the whole trip was a bit like a Gothic nightmare. The inflight entertainment system contained few options, and most of those were pretty uninspiring. The service was minimal and mostly unsmiling, and the food was only just passable. And the flight was one hour late to depart and two hours late to arrive. Definitely not recommended. Spend the extra money and buy a quality travel experience.
RouteMEL to DEL

"absolutely dreadful experience"

Verified Review | Mumbai to Hong Kong via Delhi. I had an absolutely dreadful experience with Air India. I flew from Mumbai to Delhi to connect with AI314 to Hong Kong, departing at 11pm. In Delhi I lost my boarding pass, and alerted the crew at the gate immediately. They sent me running to the duty free to check if they had found it, but when I ran back telling them that I didn't find it, they told me they wouldn't be able to reissue me with a new one, and that I'd have to rebook on the same flight 24 hours later. I had to watch the other passengers board and the flight depart, even though I had my ticket and passport handy. What followed was an ordeal. I waited for an hour before anyone contacted me to help me go back through security, immigration, and get my luggage back. The Air India ground crew were a mixture of sympathetic and completely uncaring. It seemed impossible to speak to the same staff member twice, and no one actioned anything unless I pushed and pushed. After 4 hours, I finally managed to clear customs and security. They made me rebook the flight for approximately US$300. I then handed my passport to the check-in counter manager and waited for my luggage. After an hour, I spoke to a new staff member, who clarified that nothing had been done yet. The lady I spoke to initially clearly didn't initiate any effort to get my luggage for me. This process was repeated three times, each time speaking with someone else. The last person I spoke to couldn't even tell me who had my passport by this stage, asking me if I knew who I gave it to, which was outrageous. At this point I was also worried for my passport, as well as my luggage. Finally, sometime after 6:15am I finally managed to get my bag and leave the airport. This seven hour ordeal is not over yet, as I am writing this review from Delhi airport, 27 hours after initially leaving Mumbai. The direct flight from Mumbai to Hong Kong is only just over 5 hours. Air India have wasted my time, money, and have shown themselves to be a company with a culture of complete indifference towards their customers. I may have lost my boarding pass, but these things happen, and some understanding and assistance on their part would have been greatly appreciated. To add to my negative experience, two of their crew told me - separately - that they would have issued me with a new boarding pass had they been working at the desk at the time. Air India deprived me of sleep, wasted my time, and also my money, for something that could've been taken care of easily and left me a satisfied customer.
RouteBOM to HKG via DEL
Date FlownMay 2016

"staff just do the basics"

Verified Review | Chicago to Delhi with Air India. Food not good quality and not up to international standards. The lunch that was served had a hard dinner roll as bread with the curry. I have flown on Etihad as well which was a 14 hours flight from the US and the quality of food was much better. The staff only do what is required, nothing more. No water during rest hours. They served lunch and then vanished. Every other airline makes sure to serve passengers something every 3-4 hours. Air India staff just do the basics.
RouteORD to DEL
Date FlownMay 2016

"experience however was pleasant"

Verified Review | Air India from Mumbai to Bangalore return. I was a bit skeptical of the timings as they tend to reschedule a lot based on others experiences. However, my both flights were close to schedule, with a slight 20-min delay which is common when flying in and out of Mumbai. The best part of the flight was surprisingly, the crew who were mostly young and going out of their way on the service front. Food was decent too. I got to fly on the classic A320 on the return leg, which was old but a nice memory for sure. Their seats/leg room is better than other Indian carriers, especially if one happens to be above 6ft. The only glitch I faced from them was for the seat selection, which I had selected for both flights, but at checkin found I was on different seats for both legs. The overall experience however was pleasant, with both the nice and swank BOMT2 and BLR terminals.
AircraftA319 / A320
RouteBOM to BLR

"worst air travel "

New Delhi to Mumbai and my first time with Air India. By far, the worst air travel of my life. The flight from New Delhi to Mumbai was scheduled at 11PM. We were informed in the morning that it was late by 30 minutes. So far so good. We checked-in at 7PM only to realize the flight is now delayed until after 2:30AM. The staff at the gate seemed inexperienced and didn't know how to respond to queries from passengers who were quite upset already. We kept being told they would be ready in 15 minutes. Passengers with family suffered the most where their kids were sleeping almost on the floor.
RouteDEL to BOM

"worst business class"

Verified Review | Sydney to Abu Dhabi via Delhi with Air India. Worst business class experience so far. We chose air india for our flight from Sydney to the UAE as we wanted to spend our star alliance miles. I am glad having spent only miles, would have felt much worse if we would have paid full for the flight. We had a comparably modern Boeing 787 but on our initial flight one of the in-seat monitors was broken. Business class was quite empty so we could change seats. On our next flight, one of the remote controls was broken, so another change of seats. This time it was only one of the headphones which was broken, and could be replaced. You could say we had bad luck, but we got the clear impression that the crew wasn't really interested in the malfunctions. And I doubt they noted them in the logbook for future repair. We had booked special menus, "vegan" to be precise. Now, usually our expectations are low, but with an airline from a country where there are hundreds of millions vegetarians, what should go wrong? They seems to think that butter and Greek yoghurt are not animal products, and the vegan main dishes were the most primitive and tasteless we had in a long while. The service on board might be a cultural difference (this is more a hint for others than a criticism), but the crew is hardly offering anything without being explicitly asked for it. So don't expect anyone to come and bring you a bottle of water during your 13hr flight. Don't be shy and ping them again and again. We saw other (Indian) passengers doing this all the time. The entertainment system : I don't remember any other airline with so few and so old movies in the catalog. Funny enough : two of them were Christmas movies - in April. For the Germans, some titles come with German audio, but you won't find them in the menu under "German" but have to try-and-error the English movies. Only once you select "Play" there are sometimes German audio tracks offered. We were very disappointed. The shabbiness of the plane and the uninspired, almost reluctant service is not a financial problem, it's an attitude issue.
AircraftBoeing 787 / A320
RouteSYD to AUH via DEL
Date FlownApril 2016

"interior not properly maintained"

Verified Review | I flew Air India from Newark to Mumbai and back this April. The flight from Newark left on time and landed in Mumbai before time (4.00 pm Indian time). The flight was nearly half empty and was smooth. However, the aircraft interior was very dull and not properly maintained. All three in-flight entertainment systems (including the two next to my seats) and their controls were not working. Seats were torn, and reading lights were also not working. Imagine how a person can survive such an ultra-long haul flight without any entertainment or reading! Many places, they put duct tape to cover the cracks below the entertainment system and tray. Just within three hours into the flight, the toilets were very smelly. The food was ok. However, the cabin crews were not professional and pleasant. They were taking so much rest in between for many hours without providing any service or refreshments. Same as the case with my return flight (AI 191), which was delayed by one hour to take off due to some technical issues.
RouteEWR to BOM

"overbooked Dubai flight"

Verified Review | My wife and I flew Air Canada from Toronto to Dubai, and Air India from Dubai. Trip was uneventful. Now it was time to come back to Canada. Our flight was confirmed from Mumbai to Dubai. Halt for 2 hrs in Dubai and then Air Canada from Dubai to Toronto. All seemed simple, but when we went to Mumbai airport (4hrs prior to our departure time), we were told that Air India will not fly us to Dubai because "they got message from Air Canada in Dubai, that we may miss our flight as our halt in Dubai is only 2hrs and there won't be other flight for next 24hrs". My son from Toronto, called Air Canada (same time we were still at the Mumbai Airport) and they confirmed it was a lie. Only to found out later that Air India overbooked their Dubai flight and looked every excuse in the book to keep us back. They tried to fly us thru London, UK and asked my son to Call Air Canada to arrange for our flight from London to Toronto. When my son called Air Canada, they confirmed that Air India is lying and it's their responsibility (as an operating airline) to get us to our destination. They wouldn't even offer us a hotel in Mumbai. No meals. Even dared to offer us refund and find our own way back home! Their plan was to strand us in Mumbai without being responsible for anything! After long arguments, they finally put us on Lufthansa (7 hrs after our original departing time) but made sure they informed Lufthansa not to issue us a wheel chair. I am 75 and my wife is 67. I just had knee surgery and they could clearly see we were struggling!
RouteBOM to DXB
Date FlownApril 2016

"surprised with the improvement"

Verified Review | London to Delhi return with Air India, and I was surprised with the improvement on the last flight. On the ground they continue to be chaotic and disorganised, though. Departure time re-scheduled 3 times within 24 hours (the last being brought forward by 90 mins 3 hours before the flight!); fee for flight change was quoted from £100 to £250 where the website says £100. They used to be appalling onboard too, but I often used them because the timing suited me, and they offered the best seat comfort as compared to other airlines on this route, and they were often much cheaper. Service always suffered with indifference and bad training. On my last flight though, both in and out, the service and care was excellent. Hope it continues, and of course my family and I will continue, even if they don't improve for my reasons given above.
RouteLHR to DEL
Date FlownMarch 2016

"the flight was very pleasant"

Verified Review | This is the domestic leg of the Paris to Chennai flight via Delhi, and operates from the international terminal of Delhi T3. I had done a web check-in and the ground staff told me that the Boarding Pass that I had was not valid for the international side of T3! So, he generated an Airline Boarding pass and gave it to me. I found at least 50 passengers waiting in queue to check-in and the whole process was so slow! The ground personnel was sharp to inform me that the Gate (no.10) is 1 km away and that I should take precaution to reach it on time! However, inflight the service was excellent and cabin crew have started smiling and are more motivated now than a year back. Quality of food was good. Flight landed ahead of schedule and on the whole the flight was very pleasant. Air India needs to take urgent measures on the ground to speed-up check-in, especially in busy airports.
RouteDEL to MAA