Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

Read Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Virgin Atlantic Airways customer trip Reports

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  12 December 2013 by I Bagwell (USA)

3 of us travelled JFK-LHR, 11/23, VS 26, LHR-JFK, 11/30, VS009. 340-600 outbound, 330-300 inbound. Seats great for sitting, plenty of room, nice entertainment etc. One complaint is you have to actually get out of seat to turn into a bed, unlike Delta which slides into a bed. Apart from that the service both ways was great. Plenty of attention from FA's, plenty of refills etc. Food great for Airline etc. overall a great experience and would definitely consider over Delta, especially the AM flight out of NY and the late flight out of LHR.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  12 December 2013 by Ian Underhay (UK)

London - Hong Kong Return. As someone with a high level of Virgin brand loyalty I was hoping and expecting a good experience but left sadly disappointed. This was the most uncomfortable long haul experience I have ever had. On paper the seat pitch is the same as Singapore Airlines at 32 inches but this does not translate into real space. Sitting normally my knees touched the seat in front and when the person in front reclined, the tray table was rendered virtually unusable, the TV screen could not be seen properly and my shins were cramped against the seat underside. Getting out of the seat from this position was an undignified affair, almost falling into the aisle. The meal menu read like a Michelin starred restaurant but arrived in a tacky sealed plastic tray, which when opened revealed a pile of mush. The "seasonal" salad was 80% lettuce with a slice of cucumber and a tomato. Portions were very small and we then had to endure an 8 hour gap between meals with virtually nothing. Good economy class travel is about doing many small things well, Virgin currently do nothing well and should send staff on a flight with Singapore, Emirates or Etihad to see how it can be done. I pity the poor people who had to carry on to Australia on that plane, it's incredulous that Virgin think their current offering is a suitable product for the London Australia route. If they were transporting sheep the RSPCA would be called in!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  12 December 2013 by Ann Peters (USA)

Nov 30th, my husband, daughter and I were on a returning flight to Los Angeles from London Heathrow. Flight VS007. Departing 11.25am and arriving in LA at 2.55pm. On this flight every seat was taken. There was a lady and her two children who yelled and screamed for 11 hours. We were 4 or 5 rows back from them and as far as I could tell the little girl was lying on the floor having a tantrum during take off. Not in a seat belted in like everyone else. No one made any effort to calm them down. We, and I'm sure everyone else on that flight were exhausted when we arrived in Los Angeles. It's hard for me to understand why someone with authority on board did not do something. Our flight to London VS008 was a wonderful experience.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 December 2013 by M Grice (UK)

MAN to Orlando. Left early. Great seats upstairs on 747. Vera entertainment system fantastic, food and drinks ok. Had friends in economy who also thought it was good. Cabin crew so friendly and attentive.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  10 December 2013 by S Khan (USA)

I flew from NYC-Heathrow and back in late November/early December in Upper Class. One of the worst business class experiences I've had. The flight over was fine. Nothing special. Mediocre food for business. And really poor lighting (I use the time to work). The seats lie flat, and the curve gives some extra room so you can lay on your side. On the return flight, however, my seat was broken; it wouldn't return to an upright position and was very uncomfortable (the break meant there was a large lump in the back). Worst of all, Virgin knew it was broken and hadn't fixed it. To solve the problem they asked another passenger to trade seats with me, demanding that that person moved because they were in a lower fare class than I was. I simply refused to do that to the other passenger. And it was outrageous that the attendants suggested that that was alright. I'll never fly Virgin again. If you pay that much, they should have seats you can actually sit in. I'd only take them as a last resort. Even then, it might be worth staying home. Finally, for upper class customers: their clubhouses look nice, but there is nowhere to do any work. No proper desks/chairs with a place to plug in. So if you actually work, they're useless.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  10 December 2013 by Martin Anthony (UK)

We flew Upper Class from Grenada on 21st November. There isn't a Virgin lounge at the airport which was annoying. The actual flight back was really poor and the staff seemed to be just going through the motions. I was offered only one glass of wine with dinner and it was clearly a hassle when I asked for a second. Everything was done at great speed and we had the feeling that the staff just wanted to get it over and done with so that they could to sleep. For business class, it was dreadful. An experience to be avoided. I walked away with the feeling that Virgin Atlantic has brilliant marketing but it's all style over substance.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 December 2013 by M Heather (UK)

LHR-BOS-LHR in Premium Economy on A330 aircraft. Took Virgin Atlantic as equivalent BA Premium Economy fare was 300 more. Was concerned having read reviews on here, but both flights were good. Outbound, check in at LHR was immediate, security was fast and we took off on time. The cabin was only half full, but the service could not be faulted. Main meal was OK, afternoon tea was very poor indeed (2 finger sandwiches and a muffin of dubious provenance). On this leg we had a stand-out flight attendant, really professional. On return, again check in was fast, security relatively painless (for the USA) and we boarded on time and landed early. This time the cabin was packed full. Given it is a short, red eye, overnight flight, speed of service is key and Virgin did let us down here. They took about 2 hours to serve dinner and clear away. Both Economy and Club had been fed and bedded down before Premium. However, dinner was good, and a full cooked breakfast was served prior to landing. On both legs, wine and spirits were freely available. We landed early, immigration at LHR was quite speedy and we were on our way within 45 minutes of landing. The new A330s are great, with a wide range of inflight entertainment. One of the things I like about Virgin is they include films that no other airlines would show (in this case 'Filth'). If you don't like that kind of thing then you don't have to watch it, but it's nice to have the choice and be treated like an adult!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 December 2013 by T Newsham (UK)

We always fly Virgin Atlantic long haul (last flights were May 2013 and next flights are April 2014), usually LGW to MCO and either Premium Economy or Economy with extra legroom and every time, every single time we have had superb flights with wonderful staff. I cant say we have never been delayed or the flight wasn't bumpy at all but that's air travel and on the whole we have been on time having had a smooth and comfortable flight. The Virgin Atlantic cabin crew are always helpful, nothing is too much trouble. For on board food and entertainment you always have a good choice and the seats are comfortable enough for 9 hours or so but anyone gets fidgety after a while and LAX is a bit of a drag the last few hours but again that's air travel! Very good value for money.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 December 2013 by Dave Lightfoot (UK)

Gatwick to St. Lucia. Ability to check in night before great. Following morning quickly through security and to the Virgin Lounge. Lovely service and great fresh food on the lounge. On board staff super introducing themselves and explaining the service. One of the staff spent additional time with our group of four explaining what to do in St Lucia. Drinks service excellent. The bar can only accommodate a small number of people and certain passengers hogged the bar area preventing others from full use. The food was very good in fact one of the best airline meals we have had. We had contact with Virgin Atlantic customer services prior to the flight about the food. They were totally brilliant. Our specific needs were meet on board. The only problem is the new business class seat and the seating plan. The seats are the most uncomfortable business class seats and the seating plan is not suited to people travelling in groups. Virgin service with Emirates A380 seats would be perfect. What you have to remember is the business model is different to BA and a more rock star approach. This suited us totally for this flight and holiday. Would I fly with Virgin Atlantic again - yes.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 December 2013 by David Hodgkinson (UK)

Just arrived back from Barbados on a Virgin 747 cattle truck, seating was tight, customer service poor, the girls spent more time talking and doing their hair than looking after people. The food was tasteless and small portions. My wife's touch screen did not work nor could it be fixed. Will not be travelling with Virgin again, for the same money I can travel premium with Thomson.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 December 2013 by J Sleater (UK)

Travelled from London Gatwick to Las Vegas and return. Asked for extra room travelling out, which was agreed to and we paid for extra leg room on our return. The problem is the awful food/drinks service. For a ten hour flight, we had one meal - small amount for main course, very small inedible salad as starter. The dessert was Gu, so good quality but again small, more of a child portion. In the past you would be given a small bottle of wine - now you are given three quarters of a plastic cup full. We were then given an ice lolly after a few hours, followed by a small sausage roll. We had tea which was two tiny cheese and pickle sandwiches and a poor quality muffin. Drinks offered twice in 10 hours! Last time I travelled with Virgin I was really impressed. This all felt very budget and cattle class!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Chris White (UK)

LHR-BOS on A330. Check-in was not busy but really slow. Security fast. LHR lounge great as usual. New Upper Class seat cramped. Food terrible. Seafood starter came in small plastic supermarket style container. Tasteless. Main course mushroom stroganoff also tasteless. No freedom menu and graze menu was plain crisps and drumsticks (sweets on sticks) - nothing else. New style on board bar is bland, cold, uncomfortable, and dirty looking. Bar seats tiny & almost impossible to get on and off. Obviously first step in deleting this feature from the service just like the freedom menu and massage and amenity bag and crew were very nice. Virgin used to be the best, the standard setters in business travel, now I find them barely average.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 December 2013 by S Wallis (UK)

Extremely over hyped and over priced. Took a return trip in premium economy to Orlando and wont be rushing back again. The seats which I believe are the newly fitted purple design were comfortable and the extra space in between really makes a difference until the person in front reclines - these seats recline rather a lot and to the point that not even the seatback TV can twist enough to be viewed correctly on the seat behind. Crew were pleasant enough they just don't appear to do much, one full drink service offered on a 8.5 hour flight. All other drink services consisted of water or juice only, although I did get another alcoholic drink when asked. Duty free consisted of a crew member whizzing past with a magazine in her hand, actually had to call her over to get her attention to buy something and when the crew looking after our section decided to pass through the cabin with a trolley they were overheard bitching about having to do twice the work as the previous crew member wasn't doing her job properly - very unprofessional. The meal service really lets Virgin down - worst plane food ever! Despite being offered a menu card stating 3 options (chicken, beef, fish) we were later told the chicken option hadn't been loaded so we had the option of (fish, beef, fish) the starter was also fish, no other option. It was also noted the children in this section had received the same meals as the adults so I am guessing there was a lot of waste that day, incidentally the food on the return once again had a fish starter, and really was the worst of the worst airline meal! This airlines only saving grace is the entertainment which whilst not as much choice as previous trips there was something for everyone and it was nice to catch up on corrie during the flight home. Will really have to think about booking Virgin again as could have had the same flight half the price with a charter company - granted the seat wont be as comfy or the movie choice as good, at least I'd know the food would be edible and drinks available.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  27 November 2013 by James Oliver (UK)

This was my first and definitely my last flight with Virgin. I recently flew from Orlando to Manchester and my experience was probably the worst that I have ever had on any plane with regards to service etc. To be fair check- in was really good, boarding (apart from the idiots who always congregate around the boarding area to try and get on the plane ahead of everyone else ) was fine. The flight took off on time so no complaint there. To be honest I was dreading the flight because of the kids that might be on it. The kids were no problem whatsoever even the young one sat behind me was great. My problems were as follows - Virgin make a big deal of presenting you with a food menu from which you can take you're pick - that is until they reach you and you have no choice but to have what they have left. The meal itself was a disgrace, it was dry and tasteless - worse than an overdone microwave meal, the drinks service was atrocious they even completely missed us out on their much vaunted hot chocolate service. The touchscreen television was fine if you wanted to watch a film (good choices), however if you wanted to play a game the touchscreen was slow, unresponsive to touch and really awful to use. This brings me on to the cabin crew - I found the cabin crew very abrupt and flippant. Basically it was a case we are here to cater for 1st and premium class passengers and if you don't like it tough. In summary Virgin Atlantic strives to be something that it is not, it is the very poor mans British Airways and as far as I am concerned ranks below Easyjet and Ryanair in airlines that I would next travel on.

| Home | Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking | Airport Ranking| Advertise | Surveys| Site Map| Contact Us | Links |

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax