Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

Read Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Virgin Atlantic Airways customer trip Reports

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 June 2014 by J Scott    (USA)

We flew flight VS 10 from JFK to London Heathrow mid March. We called the airline three times before traveling, and waited on hold for 2 hours each time. The desk agent at JFK was extremely unpleasant, and borderline rude. We had booked seats on the upper level of the plane, one of the calls was to confirm that this was allowed with a child also traveling in the party. We were told to go to the desk at the gate prior to the flight to have her seat assigned with ours. The gate attendant gave us a glare, and informed us that this was not allowed. After being spoken to condescendingly several more times, we were eventually reassigned to our original seats. Once on board service was sub-par. Drinks (including water) were not offered for over 1.5 hours into the flight, and we sat at the gate for an hour prior to taking off due to a "minor" problem with the fuel pump. When the man sitting in our aisle asked for a glass of water about 1 hour into the flight he was given a look and told that he would need to be patient as they are busy. I understand that they are busy, but he was extremely polite when asking and a simple response with the same polite manner would have been more appropriate. Dinner was served with the drink cart trailing behind, a drink was offered shortly after dinner arrived and then the drink cart was not seen again. The meal was standard economy fare, the roll was frozen solid but the main meal was edible if not 90% rice. They came through to clear meal trays and offer hot chocolate or tea, then the lights were turned off. They never came through to offer water during the flight, which would have been nice (and was done on flights with another carrier). I could have hit my call light (as I had a sleeping toddler on my lap), but really didn't care to interact with the staff any more than absolutely necessary. The staff never smiled, or looked even slightly pleasant. I was extremely disappointed in the service. They should be less concerned about their attractive uniforms and more concerned with providing standard pleasant service to all of their customers - including economy. We did arrive safely - which is their first priority - and I respect that.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 June 2014 by David Hansen    (USA)

I have flown this airline due to the fact that Delta Airlines now gives miles flown. I used to fly this airline over 10 years ago. I must say the service and standards have deteriorated considerably since then. The FA's don't seem friendly, very perfunctory. It is a 16 hour flight (2 segments) from NYC-LHR, LHR-JNB (South Africa). I got a coach class ticket but unlike KLM they don't upgrade you for the paltry 3 inch legroom for free for Platinum Medallion Members! KLM and others do. Wish South African Airlines was a partner. Then all the nickel and diming me, cost for advance seating etc. Wont be using them anymore.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 June 2014 by James Choochot    (UK)

Virgin Red: EDI to LGW. Free inflight drink (bar) and snack (mini crisps) service. I asked for two drinks and was chastised by the cabin manager. Told they had to serve all passengers first. Considering I was the second last row to be served, this made no sense. Obviously nothing ensued. They presumably hae a one drink per passenger policy but nobody would state this. Free hold luggage included in price. Only flew for the convenience of flight times. Don't think I could recommend however.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Andy Barker    (UK)

Haven't flown with Virgin for a while but am a flying club member so use miles to upgrade. Flew out to Barbados and back in New Upper Class suite on A330. I've flown both and think both have merits, but new design seems slightly more cramped than older version so interested to see what they do for Dreamliner. Both flights were good, Gatwick lounge is much more relaxed but still offers a lot pre-flight. Onboard food pretty good and beverages both ways, staff good too, better on return and new Vera entertainment has a lot of options to keep you busy. Overall same high standard as usual, so happy to fly again with Virgin.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Paul Mackie    (UK)

This is the second time I have used Virgin Atlantic to go to the US and it will certainly be the last. I opted to try VA out again thinking my first experience couldn't reflect all flights but it did. There was only one bar service prior to dinner and wine with dinner and that was it for an 11 hour flight, when the bar service was being operated you would think the drinks were coming out of the crew's own pockets, as it was the smallest measure I have seen in a long time. The afternoon / evening tea prior to landing was dire. I would rather pay extra for decent service when I am going on holiday!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Jonathan Henly    (UK)

Flew to Boston. Crew were friendly and co-operative, but didn't always make sense, and there were countless silly rules which kept applying. Seat wasn't that comfortable. Food was forgettable, was by the bulkhead so leg room excellent. IFE was good and the blankets and amenity packs were the best I've ever had. Return journey slept soundly.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Rose Thomason    (Mauritius)

My husband and I flew upper class from London to Los Angeles. The flight was full so we were not expecting everything to be perfect. The flight attendants seemed preoccupied with themselves and if you called them they were very abrupt and short. So I decided not to bother them but waited to see if they came around to offer a drink which was twice when they served lunch and tea. The food was served in rations. The cheese tray came around but before I knew it, it was over. Staff hardly smiled and left most of our empty cups behind. The toilets were dirty and by the end of the flight I actually felt relieved to leave the aircraft . For what you pay I don't think it's a good service.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 June 2014 by William Abernathy    (USA)

We flew Upper Class to London and Economy Premium back to New York. The service and food were excellent. The seats were comfortable, especially in Economy Premium where the seats were much nicer than in domestic American airlines in the same class of service. The service at the airports was excellent. I highly recommend this airline.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 June 2014 by Matheson Ian    (UK)

Have previously flown Premium Economy with this airline and been delighted with experience. Flew VS19 (14/05/14) and VS20 (28/05/14), return trip LHR to SFO and was bitterly disappointed with quality. Advertised as something special and certainly was for the wrong reasons. Not that much extra room provided by seats in main cabin on 747. Had to endure economy passengers coming through the cabin, often with all their worldly goods, whilst trying to enjoy the welcome glass of sparkling wine (not Champagne) as given previously. Two of the four dedicated toilets out of use on VS20 and other two were used by economy passengers as there was no segregation of seating classes. Menu offered a choice of 3 main courses. My wife and I had only two options by the time we were served and the one we chose was of extremely poor quality. I have enjoyed many better meals in Economy sections of other airlines. Those in the seats behind us were reduced to a single option of, take it or leave it, as there was only one option, the vegetarian, left. Stingy on the measure of wine offered and coffee served whilst still eating main course. Disappointment at service compounded at Heathrow when economy passengers allowed off before us. Having paid roughly twice as much for Premium Economy as for Economy tickets we felt badly let down and feel sure this was not Sir Richard Branson's vision for his airline. Will certainly not travel with this airline again as there are many better value for money options available elsewhere now.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 June 2014 by J Pettitt    (UK)

LHR-to Shanghai. Flew out on 3rd April on a codeshare with Air New Zealand (ticket having been booked with Air New Zealand). Cabin crew have to be the rudest and most unpleasant I have ever met. Paid for extra leg room seats but they split me up from my daughter and husband - the ground staff and cabin crew couldn't care less. Seats were comfortable but only for a few hours NOT for a 12 hour flight. Food was poor, drinks ok but not enough service - 4 I believe in a 12 hour flight and only came through the cabin a few times with water. The inbound service from Shanghai to LHR on 22nd April was even worse - 3 trolley services in 12 hours. At hour 7 I had to ask for a cup of tea, which when it arrived was coffee, so I had to ring again only for the rude hostess to ask "what". The staff were more interested in sorting their rest time. Will never use Virgin again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 June 2014 by M Clegg    (UK)

Flew Gatwick to Cancun and return, 22/5/14-29/5/14. Seats were comfortable, with plenty of leg room, entertainment very good, although the touch screens a bit difficult to control. On outbound and inbound flights staff appeared disinterested, and unhelpful, rarely came around with any drinks. The food I can describe as appalling. We were given a menu, on the outbound flight there was nothing which resembled anything on it. On the inbound flight we given "breakfast" this consisted of a dried up croissant which was inedible. This was first and last time I will fly with Virgin and would not recommend them.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 June 2014 by L Whittall    (Australia)

This review is for Upper Class. Very comfortable seats and bed but difficult to see out of the window. Food service was too fast, no sooner had you put the coffee cup to your lips and it was whisked away! Same for the food, and I am not a slow eater. Flight attendant very friendly but forgetful (forgot my breakfast). Other airlines have a much better business class product.

Flew both PE and Upper class so will write PE review here first. Not worth the money as, when the seat in front of you is reclined it is almost impossible to get out of your seat. All of the window seats where we were sitting were broken and would not stay upright. The lovely flight attendant attempted to fix them to no avail. There was not enough time in Hong Kong for them to fix the seats so it was a very uncomfortable 23 hours in the air. As others have said, do not waste your money on premium economy.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 June 2014 by Suvajit Mandal    (India)

We flew BOM-LHR-EWR this May. I have an infant with me. Honestly I was very dissatisfied and disappointed with the airline service and seat arrangement. Cramped front row economy seat. Food quality horrible. I requested for baby food prior unfortunately the crew says no baby food available. Normal food service also very ordinary and when asked for spare the crew was not at all supportive. Even when asked to refrigerate baby milk they were very uncooperative.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 June 2014 by J Cropley    (UK)

We have just returned from visiting friends for a month in Orlando. We flew from Glasgow. The whole experience was excellent. My wife is disabled and was well looked after. The food was yummy, the flight attendants both ways were helpful, polite and attentive. Both flights were faultless despite a measure of turbulence on both. Well done Virgin hope to go with you next year!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 June 2014 by G Alm    (UK)

Travelled to Cancun on 5/5/14, 11.5 hour delay leaving London, returned on 30/5/14. 1 hour delay leaving Cancun, very little information given except for saying that the flight was late arriving from London (no surprise there) even though we were at the airport 3.5 hours before scheduled takeoff and the plane was there all the time. They treat you as if it is none of your business.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Stephen Mason    (UK)

Gatwick to Cancun in Mexico trip on "Pretty Woman" aircraft was good. We had one of the small side two seats at the very rear of the plane. The extra space between the seat and the window was very useful to stretch the legs occasionally. Food was good and plentiful. Staff were cheerful and helpful. Return trip from Cancun to Gatwick was poor in comparison. Breakfast provided was dire. The dry and unappetising croissant was inedible. The staff were the poorest experienced, unsmiling and not interested in helping. Food was plonked dismissively in front of you. We were asked, "Tea? Hot Chocolate?" Very brusquely with no please or thank you. We had been in a lovely 5* hotel and had been used to a very high level of customer service and Virgin Atlantic couldn't match it. One male Cabin Crew member, older and presumably more experienced than most was the worst offender. This was not the best ending to a wonderful luxury holiday in Mexico.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  30 May 2014 by C Redmond    (UK)

LHR to Shanghai. The standard of Premium Economy was ok, the food was not of a good standard (beef like rubber). Crew friendly half Chinese half English. The film selection very poor whoever selects them has not got a clue go and research Singapore Airlines! The equipment was so old fashioned.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 May 2014 by C Kay    (UK)

HKG-LHR-EDI. Very good lounge in HKG with tasty food options and good service from the staff. More than acceptable dinner and drinks selection on the flight (inc two helpings of an excellent pear crumble) and slept for seven hours on the very comfortable flat bed. Flights on time and bags off quickly. Only down side was that my limo didn't show up at EDI, although the local Virgin staff were helpful and apologetic.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  27 May 2014 by L Perrin    (Australia)

SYD-HKG-LHR on A340-600. Had a champagne prior to take off which was average to say the least. The cabin service was friendly and attentive and food was a step up from Economy. It was a nice touch having real cutlery, china and your meal tray served on a tablecloth. The seats were wide, but not as much space as I would have expected to the next seat in front. The old bugbear when the seat in front reclines fully is still a problem in Premium Economy, it is very intrusive and you need the passenger next to you to climb out if you want to get past them. We got more sleep than previous flights in Economy, but it is still a fairly uncomfortable experience. Virgin Atlantic needs to introduce noise-cancelling headphones as the sound quality is poor with the existing headphones, but the entertainment selection was excellent. The cabin noise was quiet having only 38 passengers and a dedicated toilet was a good feature. This was our first experience in Premium Economy and while it was a step up from Economy, I do not think it is worth the extra money. We would have stopovers next time and avoid flying a 14 hour leg if we could, as you do not arrive at your destination feeling particularly refreshed.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  27 May 2014 by C Kay    (UK)

EDI-LHR-HKG. This was my first time flying Virgin so was interested to find out what they'd deliver. Excellent connection from T1 to T3 at LHR meant that I didn't have to go through security again, and the Clubhouse lounge was very good. On board the seat was very comfortable, equally so when it was turned into a flat bed. The food selection and quality were good and there was a decent choice of entertainment. Only thing I didn't like was the relative lack of storage around the seat and a drinks table that is at shoulder level and slightly behind.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  26 May 2014 by L Stewart    (UK)

LHR-LAX-LHR in Business class. I was a little disappointed on this occasion; on the flight out there didn't seem to be as many FAs and there wasn't the usual friendly introduction. The food wasn't as good as usual, tiny portions and fairly overcooked. Good choice of IFE and although the bed lets you get some sleep, they seem to be getting harder and harder. Temperature control was cranked right up, so it was a hot and sweaty snooze. On the return leg the FAs were friendlier but it seemed quite slow getting drinks served and there was no welcome drink on boarding. I managed a decent night's sleep but breakfast took a while and for once was really unpleasant; undercooked bacon, overcooked egg, sausage with negligible meat content and baked beans with the highest sugar content known to man. I've had better at motorway service stations! The decaf coffee was served in a mug (nice touch, especially as the mug turned out to be made by someone I know) and was fantastic. Reasonable croissant, but no hot towels offered. Cabin temperature was better this time. The planes seemed a little tired and the bathrooms were clean but nothing special. I just wonder whether Virgin Atlantic is in financial trouble (more than any other airline?). Value is rated high because I got an upgrade from PE on the return leg.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  26 May 2014 by Elisabeth Dorfman    (UK)

Virgin Atlantic to Dubai on 16th May but had to return on the 18th May as a close relative had died whilst we were flying out to Dubai. The staff on our return flight were tremendous, they upgraded my partner and his brother who had lost their mother. I would not usually bother to write a review but we so appreciated their care and attention

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  20 May 2014 by M Pauwels    (UK)

LHR-Miami-LHR in Premium Economy. The check-in at LHR Terminal 3 was a breeze - did not have to wait and was immediately checked in, queue for Economy was considerable. Checked in the day before and chose my seat online. You cannot check in earlier than 24 hours prior to departure, but when I still had not received an email from Virgin 20 hours prior decided to go online myself and check in. To my big surprise there was only a handful of seats available, so if you wait until you get the check-in email you literally have no choice left. Bagged myself an aisle seat in 33G which was fine. Boarding you beat the massive queue and are able to board with Upper Class. Settled into wide leather seat and offered a glass of Prosecco. Very friendly and attentive cabin crew. The food was definitely a notch up from Economy, and loved the personalized service: warm bread rolls, stainless cutlery, salt & pepper shaker. I went for the chicken accompanied by the Sauvignon Blanc. The only downside of my outbound flight was that the person in 32G decided to fully (!) recline 10 minutes after take-off, which was a complete invasion of my privacy and took away 50% of my leg room. At 6'2" I am by no means a giant but had to wrap my legs around the seat in front of me to be somewhat comfortable. The real downside is that when the person in front of you reclines, it becomes really difficult to see the TV screen properly. I had to pretty much slouch in my seat to get a decent view, and the screen does not tilt as far as you'd like it to. Ice-cream during the movie was a nice treat, afternoon tea was ok but nothing spectacular. Service during the flight is attentive, relaxed and non-pushy. Had to call flight attendant twice to order a drink, but served with a smile. MIA-LHR evening flight, Premium Economy was full. This time bagged myself an aisle seat, 30K. Bit worried that its proximity to the galley would be bothersome but was ok. Boarding in Miami a bit more chaotic than in Heathrow. Dinner ok but less impressive than the inbound flight. Was really impressed with my arrival at Heathrow. Premium Economy means you get to disembark the plane as one of the first, after 15 minutes I had passed immigration and Premium Economy luggage has a special tag, meaning it's one of the first ones to arrive on the belt. Found myself in a cab in record speed only 30 minutes after landing. Virgin PE - is it worth it? I'd say yes - don't expect a full Upper Class experience but seats in Economy looked tatty and a bit worn, and are definitely less comfortable than PE. Not only do you get the wider seat that reclines (which can be a blessing or a curse, depending on who's in front of you), but the extra attentive service and the little perks (fast check-in, better food, etc) makes it an overall enjoyable experience.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 May 2014 by C Batchelor    (UK)

Overnight from JFK to London Heathrow was one of the worst transatlantic flights I have taken. In economy there is so little leg room that all passengers are woken up for every drink and meal service and required to put their seats up right, regardless if they wanted refreshments or not. On a 7 hour flight, with 2 or 3 services this left only 3 hours to sleep uninterrupted. Not impressed Virgin Atlantic. Old fleet, very uncomfortable seats and glare on the in flight entertainment screens was less than ideal.

| Home | Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking | Airport Ranking| Advertise | Surveys| Site Map| Contact Us | Links |

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax