Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

Read Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Virgin Atlantic Airways customer trip Reports

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  12 February 2015 by Durrant Trevor    (UK)

Upper / Business class, London Gatwick to Orlando. From check in to your seat on the aircraft brilliant, treated like a celebrity, that's what you pay for. From an English breakfast as much to eat and drink as you like, the shoe cleaning - nice idea along with a pair of jazzy socks. On boarding seat 12k, the wife seated opposite on the other side of the bar, didn't matter as we could see each outer across the aisle. 9 hours and 15 min flight time seemed to go quite quickly. Bit of a wait for baggage at the carousel 8a 20 minutes but that didn't matter. However, the journey home was a different matter! Upper class check in ok. Customs no preferred lane then to the lounge, using deltas lounge, hot food is a no-no apart from some soup and nibbles. Virgin rep escort to the gate to board nice touch so you don't get lost! same seat 12k, wife now seated in the seat beside me. very enjoyable dinner now time for lights out seat converted into a lovely comfy flat bed sleep suit on time yo enjoy a few hours sleep or not! The amount of noise in the cabin was unbelievable from the cabin crew laughing in the galley to the constant clicking of the cabinet handles in the galley and on the on the bar cabinet every five minutes, drove me nuts, only managing about an hours sleep, not the idea I had in mind as we had a four hour drive when we landed. Flat bed idea is great but choose a seat further away from the bar so you can enjoy a decent nights sleep which I thought was what you were paying for! Pre-ordered English breakfast nicely presented, such a shame it was served on a cold plate! Apart from being tired, it was an experience that could have been a lot better.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 January 2015 by Anna Hordejuk    (USA)

Not nearly as bad as I would have thought given those reviews written here. Travelled from LHR to JFK on Jan 24th in Economy. First of all - heard they have an excellent newspaper selection - and found that to be true. Also heard they have very cramped seating in economy - and also found that to be true. But on the positive note - there were plenty of extra seats available so people could move around and switch places. As for the famously bad food - I opted for veggie option out of fear, and wasn't disappointed. The only thing was the small portions - everything was tiny. The entertainment system was all right, but mostly commercial Hollywood films on rotation. As to the famously unsmiling stewardess - some of them did smile, making up for those who did not. Lots of drinks were served with juice and water on constant rotation. Landed safely and on time.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 January 2015 by J De Silva    (USA)

Flew from Delhi - London - New York and it was a big disappointment. I flew the airline years ago back in it's early (no doubt) glory days. Today's service is a far cry from what it once was. Today's plane was old, the in- flight service below standard, and the on-time take-off/arrival non-existent. As bad as the Delta flight was going to India, as it was 90 minutes late to depart and arrive in Paris for the connection, the plane was newer and therefore the entertainment much better, as were the attendants.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  26 January 2015 by D Warren    (UK)

London Gatwick - Orlando Int'l - Finally received a good flight from Virgin. Crew were good, food was nice and inflight entertainment was good (despite my screen freezing 2 hours prior to landing and nothing could be done to re-set) On the whole would recommend.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  23 January 2015 by Ash Ahmed    (UK)

LHR-EDI-LHR. Second time using this Little Red offshoot of Virgin and extremely happy to have received the same fantastic service I received the first time. Inflight service was the usual Little Red complimentary offer and was again nice to be offered a Tiger Beer and Tyrell Crisps, which was part of the joy last time - the additional round of Love Hearts distributed was a nice touch too! Staff on both outbound and inbound flights friendly and attentive, outbound my seat had been changed from the seats I pre-selected online, flight wasn't full however and staff were happy for me to move to another empty row by a window. Inbound flight was on an Aer Lingus branded plane substituted for a faulty VS one which was fine, although that plane did look a bit tired - I think if anything Aer Lingus should learn a thing or too from running this service on behalf of Virgin and the polish and joy that they manage to pull off - if they applied it to their own service, I think they would be to an industry leading product especially by European airline standards which have lacked somewhat in comparison to their Middle- Eastern and East Asian counterparts. Once again however Aer Lingus staff should given a massive pat on the back for the fantastic service they are delivering on behalf of Virgin Atlantic - Purser on my Inbound flight was the same gentlemen as the last time I went to Edinburgh and his enthusiasm and attentiveness should be commended. I am still not enamoured by Heathrow but do appreciate the improved Terminal 2, and on this occasion it wasn't such a bad experience due to it being particularly a quiet time during the day. Virgin however should be proud of the service they are delivering here though, will be sad to see this end in September 2015, it is a real shame. Great service and excellent value, use it while you can before September - highly recommended!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  21 January 2015 by Jeff Smith    (UK)

LGW to MCO, 6/1/15. After a period of seemingly living off reputation alone Virgin have definitely improved as an airline. However I find economy seats as cramped as ever. What's odd is how much more room you seem to get in economy with certain other airlines. I usually fly premium economy but was unable to do so this time - never again. There's just so little room all round and for 9 hours plus it's no joke. Even an extra inch or two would make a difference. The flight itself was fine, food quite nice and service overall good, just the legroom issue.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 January 2015 by K Vanwyk    (UK)

Flew Edinburgh to Cape Town! Started with Little red flight which was great, on time and friendly cabin crew! Then got on an A340-600 to CT for a long flight ahead! We where fed well and the crew came around with regular drink rounds! Aircraft clean and comfortable and the captain kept us well informed! IFE was great, kept us entertained! All in all would recommend Virgin! Great experience that we had with the airline!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 January 2015 by J Stallard    (UK)

LHR to Man, Little Red, 2 hour delay, no information given. As we know delays happen but having to sit at the gate not knowing why is very frustrating. Eventually we were told plane had just arrived. If I had known I would have got some dinner. Flight uneventful but more waiting as problem with plane and not even a sandwich offered. Plane was new. Crew were OK but it's easy to see why Little Red is quitting Manchester. The service is poor.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 January 2015 by John Wells    (UK)

London Gatwick to Antigua. Excellent flight, comfortable seat, attentive staff, outstanding food. The Upper Class seats in the A330 are a little cramped compared with the 747 that used to fly this Virgin route but at least there are more of them (We used to go Premium Economy because there were so few Upper Class seats that they sold out very quickly).

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 January 2015 by C Grady    (UK)

We booked through Virgin, fell for the rock star treatment advertisement, never once experienced this, expected the best, very disappointed, hotel was awful. Asked to book seats together when booking holiday said we couldn't, then were told we could but it was too late and they said to guarantee that we were sat together we could pay over 1000 to upgrade, we ended up having to sort this out at the airport after the agent who was chatting to another member off staff dropped our passports and our sons went through the gap of the suitcase conveyor we had to wait for engineer to open it all up to retrieve this, a stressful start to the journey. Flight was ok, crew very busy, missing the personal touch, the odd sincere smile would have been nice, journey back was less delightful.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Christie Singam    (UK)

Flew to Las Vegas on 21st December and returned on flight VS44 on 29th December. I have now taken 3 flights with this airline and am now sure that what I am saying is true. I am an avid traveller having used many different airlines for trips abroad on business and social purposes. The service on Virgin flights is poor, the food is terrible - my last meals on Virgin just two days ago on a return flight from Las Vegas was so bad that it was inedible - there was a salad which simply consisted of worn out green leaves and a cherry tomato and the main was chicken in some sauce that they described as curry with a chick pea puree on a bed of overcooked rice. Bread with the meal was a piece of cold stale roll. Drinks offered were few and far between - only twice throughout the whole flight. Breakfast consisted of yoghurt and granola with a worn out blueberry muffin. Service - staff seem to be doing you a favour and you are made to feel that you just do not want to disturb them.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 January 2015 by G Arnold    (UK)

I have flown a few times now the VA Little Red and they offer an excellent service at a good price. No premium rate for checked baggage and a one-class aircraft makes for a very pleasant flying experience.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 January 2015 by S Farber    (UK)

Manchester-Barbados-Manchester on 747-400. The flight was on time, the plane seemed new and clean. I have used Virgin in the past when travelling business in Upper class, but used this flight for a family holiday with accrued virgin miles - Manchester oddly seemed to be the only flights to the Caribbean from the UK where both miles seats were available and at the right times for us, so we booked. I ordered a Hindu meal in advance (usually better quality and it arrives quicker that the normal food run) - it was average quality and very small. The family members opted for the normal menu and were pretty disappointed with what they received both in quality and size- looks like cost cutting in action. pre landing snack was minuscule for both the Hindu (single bread roll and butter!) and normal (cheese and pickle). Not the end of the world for an 8 hour flight but a slight let down. Entertainment was OK, but most films were not ones I had heard of before, and I'm pretty clued up on these things. Return flight food was much better for both options. Additional leg room seats on exists are severely restricted in "A" seats due to size of door base impeding on length of stretch - avoid this if possible. As usual, the heavy construction of the exit seats can be much more uncomfortable with no ability to raise / lower arms for comfort and controls wedged into the arm and can be hard to reach. Just something to be aware of if you pre-book additional leg room options and have some choice over location. Overall OK, I am not particularly enamoured with flying long distances anyway, but given the limited range of options and the rigid requirements we had for time and destination, it was acceptable.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 January 2015 by C Evans    (USA)

Flew LAX-LHR for Christmas vacation. Probably the worst Transatlantic airline flying this route. Traveled Premium Economy both ways, which consisted of a 90's throwback entertainment system; low resolution screen, bad sound quality and a stupid video for some charity before every movie! Seats were a reasonable size but that's all they had going for them. Worn, fake, purple leather with a non existent recline function. Staff were very good and friendly. They claim "champagne and newspapers on boarding" - what you get is the cheapest sparkling wine and 2 papers to pick from. Food was pretty decent 3 choices for our class but basic "red or white" wine service. Don't recommend this airline at all. Not worth the money.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Luc Saint Genies    (USA)

I flew on Virgin Little Red from London to Manchester. It was excellent. The plane was excellent and clean. I was so happy to fly Virgin after flying Delta for a transatlantic flight. I was so pleased. The staff were really helpful. I liked how the staff came with refreshments, fruit and biscuits in a basket only on a 26 minute flight. I will definitely recommend Virgin.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  5 January 2015 by C Evans    (UK)

I frequently fly LAX-LHR - having a business with offices in both locations, I'm lucky (or un-lucky) enough to need to travel 3-6 times a year. I always used to fly Virgin, honestly - 6 flights a year, zero problems. However, in the last 12 months, due to clients, I flew a few other airlines on the LHR-LAX route. Now my eyes have been opened. Virgin planes on this route are old, stuffy and feel like throwbacks from the 90's. Genuine examples include Air NZ, United and BA - who all fly brand new planes on the route with all the latest tech. On all other airlines Economy passengers get offered touch screens, in seat ordering and high resolution screens. Virgin still operate some cord connected piece of junk. The whole thing is awful and I don't know anyone who fly's Virgin on this route anymore. Get a much better service with other airlines and avoid them.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  5 January 2015 by M Lawrence    (UK)

I flew VS043 UC on Monday 22 December 14 and returned Wednesday 31 December. As soon as you enter the terminal, the whole experience is exceptional; from check in to collecting your luggage at your destination. Check in at LGW was quick no queues, and hence you are directed to the lounge. The lounge at Gatwick is a haven of tranquillity away from the general hustle and bustle of the terminal. You want for nothing and everywhere you look, a happy smiley face in smart red uniform is on hand to attend to your every whim. I also took advantage of the complimentary treatment in the spa with a scalp message. The call to board came all too soon as I could quite easily have stayed in the lounge a while longer. Turning left on the plane and walking through premium you are met with ambient mood lighting and a glass of champagne. What is striking from the very moment you board is the exceptional service, which is proactive. I can't remember ever asking for anything during the 10 hour 45 minute flight because of the dedicated staff. 11/10.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  31 December 2014 by Chris Whitehouse    (UK)

We travelled from Barbados to Manchester in December, Boeing 747 Pretty Woman. The flight was on time, the aircraft seats were comfortable and the inflight entertainment was good. The flight crew were hard working and pleasant. The flight was spoilt by someone a little worse for drink who then starting abusing his partner and the cabin crew. This was dealt with very well by the staff in very difficult circumstances. The man was arrested at Manchester. We felt very sympathetic with the flight crew because they were only doing their job and did not deserve the abuse. We have used Virgin quite a few times in the past few years and always enjoy their flights.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  31 December 2014 by A Ahmed    (UK)

LHR-EDI-LHR. First time using a full service airline domestically after mostly using EasyJet for couple of years and this Little Red offshoot of VS didn't disappoint. Aer Lingus should given a massive pat of the back for the fantastic service they are delivering on behalf of Virgin Atlantic. Flights were on time and inflight service was more than one could ask for a short-haul domestic flight with friendly and attentive staff. I was delayed inbound back from Edinburgh, but that was due to a security scare at that Airport and I was notified with plenty of time via email and text and allowed me time spend a few more hours with friends in Edinburgh. The one Achilles heel is Heathrow, I haven't used Heathrow in 16 years - and I have to say it didn't leave me want to back in a hurry, unfriendly and poor management of queues for security - for Britain's premier air gateway it is shambolic, particularly when you see the improvements that have been made at Gatwick. Virgin should be proud of the service they are delivering here though, I am using them again in January on this domestic route and will be sad to see this end in September 2015. Great service and excellent value - highly recommended.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  10 December 2014 by W Dawson    (UK)

Manchester to Orlando on flight VS73. The ground staff were friendly and handled our bag drop very efficiently. Unfortunately, that is where the good points end. The flight itself was OK albeit a little late. The seats were just about comfortable enough as was the legroom. However, the flight crew missed out our entire row when serving the evening meal and the only way we got served was to ask for the food which was only just edible. We flew back to Manchester on VS76 and paid for extra legroom seats in the hope of getting some sleep on the overnight flight. These extra legroom seats were immediately outside one of the galleys and whilst the legroom was more than adequate the constant queue of passengers asking for service (the flight crew only came around once during the flight to offer drinks) together with the additional light from the galley made sleeping virtually impossible. Again we were missed out during the dinner service and had to ask for the food. We were then missed out again when the dessert was served and had to go to one of the galleys to ask if here was a reason for us being missed out. After finishing my main course (the food was again barely edible) I asked one of the crew if I could have a second glass of wine. Thirty minutes later I had still not received it and had to go to one of the galleys to ask again. All in all the plane was OK as was the service from the ground staff. However, the flight crew were not remotely up to the job. I don't I know whether they were short staffed, inadequately trained or just didn't care but basically not good enough and nowhere near the level of service promised by your advertising.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  10 December 2014 by W Swe    (UK)

London to L.A in November in Airbus A340. I can't fault the food which was decent for economy class and service provided by crew members which was excellent. Entertainment system was provided by a large screen , 10" I think, instead of 7" screens on most airlines. Only downside is it was a low resolution screen and movies gets interrupted time to time. Controls were also old fashion than handheld console type but easy enough to use. Leg room is plenty for economy class.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  10 December 2014 by T Bates    (UK)

I flew direct from Manchester UK to Orlando USA (VS73/74) and after hearing all the hype about Virgin Atlantic, I felt somewhat disappointed. There wasn't a spare seat to be had on the flight so the cabin crew had to work pretty hard at meal times. However, I found the food to be just acceptable and nothing more. (I don't fly for the food though!) For instance, the afternoon tea (served in a cardboard box) consisted of half a sandwich and a very small slice of caramel chocolate cake. I didn't find the seats that comfortable. On the return trip, (also full to capacity) we were offered extra legroom seats for an additional $60 and took them as this was the only way we could sit together. The catering was better also (presumably provided by an American company). It amazes me what people turn up with for "carry on" luggage these days. My bag was very small but some others were about the size of an average suitcase! Consequently, locker space is denied to those people boarding later. I'm an experienced business flier and I'm trying to be objective with this review. I've known far worse airlines and a few better.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 December 2014 by Damon Goodman-Anders    (UK)

Travelled Orlando - Gatwick VS16 on 25/11/14 on the Upper Deck in Premium Economy. Used downtown Disney check in which meant you can get your boarding passes and check all your luggage in rather than having to take it to the airport, excellent service and very quick. Priority boarded and glass of sparkling wine offered, seating is 2-2 on the upper deck, seats are a decent size and legroom is not to bad, only complaint is when the person in front reclines it significantly reduces your legroom and the person in the window seat has problems getting out. Food was acceptable, beef stew or Chicken and Rice meal offered, bit over cooked but still tasty and then a hot breakfast served prior to arrival. Drinks service offered prior to meal, during the meal and juice/water service during the night. Friendly and helpful cabin crew, nothing seemed to much of a problem for them. On arrival at Gatwick the luggage was already on the carousel as we arrived so from the plane arriving on stand to exiting the airport was about 15 minutes which is outstanding. 1st time on Virgin Atlantic and would definitely use them again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 December 2014 by J Tung    (UK)

London Gatwick to Cancun return in VS economy. First time with this airline. Check in at both airports were easy and stress free. I purchased “seat plus” on the way out so had to use the check in counter. There was no queue in Gatwick. On the way back I did online check in so just needed to print out the boarding pass then proceed to bag drop. The airplane was a refurbed B744. It has a nice interior. Seat was comfortable and was better than I expected. However pitch and width were tight if the passenger in front reclines. The entertainment is up to date although the choice of movies / TV not as good as other airlines. The on demand system with a touch screen will keep you busy throughout a long journey. Personally I still prefer the touch screen but with a remote/console so that you don’t feel the person behind you is constantly “pushing” your seat back. Food onboard was a weak point. It was a nice touch to be given a menu but the food quality was poor. On the way out I pre ordered low fat meal but was served normal food. I noticed the crew who said they would try to see what they could do but then disappeared entirely. There was no sandwich or drink in the galley so in my case it was a 10 hour journey without food. On the returning I was served normal food again and I had to remind the crew that I’d pre-ordered special meal – that didn't seem normal in my experience where all other airlines will give passenger their special meals before others so they don't get confused. Breakfast was also poor – an orange juice, a yoghurt and a very dry croissant. Service was overall friendly but not as professional as other airlines. Toilets weren't cleaned and some were out of order. Overall an acceptable flight experience but I will still choose BA over Virgin.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 December 2014 by S Pizzey    (UK)

Flew with Virgin Little Red from Manchester to London, for a connection to Virgin Atlantic for a flight to Newark in Premium Class, on an A330. Used the Number 1 traveller lounge at discounted price using Virgin flight reference, which, whilst no where near the Virgin Lounge quality, was excellent and way above the normal pay for Exec lounges. Flight to Newark was very good, plane in excellent condition, and staff attentive polite and helpful. In flight entertainment was adequate with plenty of options. The meal was well presented and again the presentation was excellent. On arrival in Newark, the Priority baggage did not materialise and it was the usual 'dog fight' to wait for luggage. Our return flight (after a cruise) was via Orlando international direct to Manchester on an old B747 in upper class. The Delta lounge was offered as a code share and was a nice quiet oasis, although these American lounges are not a patch on the UK lounges regards food etc. Escorted by a Virgin staff member to the gate when the flight was due to be boarded and the upper class area was excellent, The seating was not the new seating product as used on the new A330 fleet, and the newly arrived 787's, but was still very nice and the best way one can travel 'Red Eye' back to the UK. The staff were so attentive, nothing could be too much trouble, the novelty bar was just that a novelty for some, the food was excellent, the Beef Filet excellent, as was the cooked breakfast. The fold out bed with mattress was a great feature and the Virgin pyjamas. The bed itself was quit hard, but I was still able to have a nice sleep. Overall, despite some adverse reviews recently, My wife and I found the service to be excellent, although I do think the US Airways Envoy 'Product' is better.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 December 2014 by B Vancurova    (UK)

LGW - Cancun, return in Upper class. Lounge at Gatwick is very good with large selection of food/drinks. Boarding a bit chaotic but once on board, everything was a pleasure. Food was very good and drinks plentiful. On the return trip, lounge at Cancun is very basic to say the least. Upper Class was called first to board and again once on board, everything was perfect - apart from my table, that got broken on the way from London. It was not a problem for us as I shared my husbands table and we could have a nice dinner together. I managed to sleep for 6 hours, the bed is comfortable and duvet very soft. The only issue for me was the seat as I like to sit in 'half way position' but the seat only goes some way down and you have to get up if you wish to put the seat in bed position. This would not put me off flying with Virgin and I am looking forward to my next flight on Upper Class in the future.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 December 2014 by Stuart Pizzey    (UK)

Virgin Atlantic flight in Premium economy from London to Newark, A330. excellent flight, good meal and flight crew were attentive polite and happy. what a joy. The baggage collection was not that good as the priority luggage did not materialise and it was any bags that came through, except the crews. Return flight Virgin B747 Upper Class Orlando - Manchester. Staff attentive, nothing too much trouble and very helpful. Upper class cabin wonderful quiet oasis, but the product is not the best. The reading light in effective, the position for the headphones terrible location, and the converted bed, mattress is not that comfortable. The inflight entertainment was good but it was the older product and the slightly smaller screens that in other business Class products. The food was excellent and the large dining table is very good and the ability to eat my meal with my wife sat on the foot rest is a great plus. I do believe that the US Airways Envoy is still the best Business class product, pity about the US style of crew. Virgin do have that wow factor, because the crew are so good.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 December 2014 by Mike Daveton    (USA)

Flew New York to Edinburgh and I was sceptical as I normally fly BA, but decided to join the frequent flyer programme and go with Virgin, after a friend swore by them! And I must say I was impressed! The aircraft was a 747 and the seat was decent, the food was tasty and loved the Virgin flair in general. The crew on both flights to London and Edinburgh were lovely and professional! The Crew stuck out and nothing was to much effort, even on the short flight from London to Edinburgh, nothing was to much trouble! All flights on time, smooth flights, and Captain always keeping us updated and pointed out sights on the flight from Edinburgh to London! I am flying Virgin next month again! I have started flying Virgin America in the US, and they are great too!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 December 2014 by S Johnson    (UK)

Flew MIA-LHR, B747, economy class. Another good flight with Virgin, pre booked and paid for exit row seats. Flight departed MIA on time and arrived LHR 30 minutes early. Being able to pre book exit seats makes all the difference. It takes the dread out of an economy class long haul flight and makes it somewhat easier to rest and enjoy the flight.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 December 2014 by S Johnson    (UK)

Flew LHR-JFK, A330 economy class. Virgin now allow their economy class exit row seats to be booked at the time of reservation so we booked economy plus paid 60 per person for exit row seats. We made our reservation on line then spoke to their call centre to pre paid for the exit seats, all very easy and efficient. Seat numbers were assigned I think around 3 weeks before we travelled which was excellent and reassuring. We checked in online as usual and arrived at the bag drop at LHR T3 around 2 hours before departure and we were having breakfast in the departure area 15 minutes later. The flight departed on time. The seats themselves were a little narrow but acceptable however the leg room was what we had paid for so all was ok however there is no way I could travel for more than 30 minutes in a regular Virgin Atlantic economy class seat, the pitch is appalling. The flight itself was fine, food and drinks ok, good service from the cabin crew and good inflight entertainment.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 December 2014 by P Teague    (UK)

Flew LHR-SFO, Premium Economy on 15th November. On time. Cabin appeared clean but a lot of dust gathered around air vents. The aircraft was a 747 with the interior really starting to show its age. The IFE screen was very poor quality which meant it was very difficult to work out what was happening in the films. Food was regular and average to good which was pleasant. Aircrew were polite and went about their work in an efficient manner. Premium Economy on the whole is starting to look a little expensive for what you get. The return from EWR to LHR was in economy with extended leg room and I felt that there was little difference between the the two. In short I would fly again but will start looking at airlines that are offering more modern aircraft which are more comfortable with better IFE.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  20 November 2014 by J Holland    (UK)

Orlando to Manchester on 5th November, Flight VS76 with my grandchildren. I will never fly Virgin again. I have given Staff service 1 star, but only because the option to give none is not available (like a lot of onboard services). On trying to book in there was a long queue which did not move. No announcements were made and eventually another passenger told us the computer system was down. The ground crew were exceptionally rude and our party was split, despite having reserved seats before we left the UK. The cabin crew were almost invisible. They disappeared to their rest area shortly after serving the meal. Call bells were ignored. When they did appear they were disinterested and barely polite. The meal was unappetising. Perhaps if Virgin spent some of the money they spend on advertising and hype, on training staff and updating very tired and worn aircraft passenger satisfaction would improve.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  20 November 2014 by D Miller    (UK)

Travelled from LGW-BGI and BGI-LGW several weeks ago. Both flights were on time, boarding was quick and efficient, staff were friendly. Aircraft were clean and the inflight entertainment was excellent. Food was frequently served and tasted nice.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Alexander Stevens    (UK)

I was flew premium economy from Gatwick to St. Lucia but on the way back we got upgraded to upper class. It was very nice and new with new lighting, colours and various patterns across the cabin. The seats were very new and modern and the bed was comfy. My suggestion is that these seats are only on the A330-300, but to give everyone this modern even more luxury experience I think it should be released across the whole fleet (not A320). The seats and the bar. This would give the airline an outlook on the modern perspective of Virgin Atlantic's Upper Class and luxury flying.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Brian T Blair    (USA)

Boston to London. As this was a gift, we flew business class and paid the full amount. While new to the Virgin style, I found the set up a bit confusing. The flight attendants actually had to make people's beds as it was impossible to figure out how to do it yourself. On the way back from London, I had ordered a starter, main course and dessert when requested at the beginning of the flight. When the dessert time came, the flight attendant said there was no more left of what I had ordered. The dessert itself is irrelevant but the fact that they ran out of anything for people paying thousands of dollars for this service was enough to make me angry.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  17 November 2014 by L Johnson    (UK)

A great disappointment. We traveled with Virgin Atlantic a few years ago and the economy cabin was comfortable and the service good. Not any more. Shabby and cramped seats with very little leg room unless you pay for an extra couple of inches, Virgin seem to have lost the plot with economy passengers either that or they just don't care! Food was inedible on the outward flight from London to Boston the cabin crew were over stretched and took nearly two hours to serve the meal. This was not a problem on the way out but the return flight was delayed by four hours and left at 1.45 a.m so by 3 a.m. they were still offering poor food to people who just wanted to try to sleep. BA who were subject to the same delay in London managed to turn their flight round much faster and were only two hours late.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 November 2014 by Smith Kevin    (UK)

I recently travelled Virgin Premium Economy from London to Hong Kong and my experience was not what I had expected for the price. Having been upgraded to Premium on a return flight from New York to LHR I was looking forward to experiencing Virgins mid level class as the BA version was absolutely wonderful. Comfort is my primary priority on long haul as I really need to sleep in order to arrive feeling healthy. The Virgin website shows a video of what to expect in PE and I was gleefully looking forward to what was described by many as an even more luxurious level of comfort than what BA offered. Unfortunately those expectations were dashed when I sat down in the elderly Boeing aircraft to find a dirty, poorly maintained and cramped environment. I was who shocked to find that my legs were blocked by a rigid plastic barrier beneath the seat in front ensuring that I wouldn't be able to extend my legs fully (this ridiculous design feature appeared to be in place throughout the PE cabin but not in regular economy). The promise of greater levels of comfort were further reduced by the large metal footrest that dug itself into my lower leg. Pulling it down so I could actually use it resulted in my legs being hoisted so high in the air that my knees where above my stomach. The armrests were large ugly plastic topped designs that were static preventing my partner and I from sharing our combined areas (a feature available in most economy cabins I've flown in). So I put my earphones in to watch an inflight movie and was promptly deafened by the pilots announcement as they had set volume level to maximum, independent of the local level I had set. I complained to attendant who very politely said he'd get it sorted. I also asked why the PE cabin I was in didn't reflect the one I had seen on their website when I paid for it. He explained that only the more recent fleet of aircraft were fitted with the new trim and these older planes were not considered for upgrading as they would be replaced in the next few years. I would have expected more clarity when parting with my hard earned money so I could have been better informed about what I was actually paying for as the resulting experience fell way short of what I was expecting. I certainly won't be making that mistake again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  6 November 2014 by S Dhar    (UK)

Was looking forward to good quality service but it appears you only get this if you pay more. Economy passengers are treated like cattle - herded in, poor seating, extremely cramped - I am not tall but even I could kick the feet of the person in front of me when I attempted to stretch my legs! Substandard food - beef stew had a single piece of meat. In contrast, flew out on code share Delta - was expecting poor service but got excellent care. The only commendable point about Virgin was the ground crew. Pity the rest of the experience was a let down. Maybe Virgin should remember that not all passengers are business travellers or have air miles for upgrades.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  6 November 2014 by J Hall    (UK)

VS032 Saint Lucia-Gatwick 02/11/2014 - felt like we were a pain to them in economy. Tried to tell female crew member that wife's screen did not work, she said we would have to wait and waltzed off and never returned, wife did not see safety briefing. Told male member who helped us out. A child was sick later in the flight and many of the crew froze with fear. It was left to one attendant to tidy up. Poor show by most.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  6 November 2014 by S Jenkins    (UK)

London to Orlando October 2014. Outward flight VS15 747-400 in PE which was OK, the food was acceptable and there were several little extras throughout the flight including ice cream, sweets and squash offered. Priority boarding and a welcome glass of bubbly started the flight quite nicely and the inflight service was generally attentive and friendly. The flight attendants worked solidly throughout the 9 hour flight, they were understaffed and it was clear that they had little rest. The cabin was disappointingly a bit grubby though, dust around the air vents and crumbs around the seat. The seat was comfortable and plenty of legroom. The IFE worked well. On the whole not a bad experience and the benefit of a smaller cabin at the front of the aircraft makes a lot of difference. We couldn't get PE for the return flight so ended up in Economy towards the rear of the plane. What a difference! VS28 another 747-400. A disinterested cabin crew more concerned about fancy hairdos than their jobs, arrogant and dismissive attitudes, dreadful food. The main cabin lights were switched off for the entire duration of the flight (apart from the 'food' service) and we took off at 7.30pm hardly bed time. I think this was to get people to go to sleep so they didn't have to do anything! In fact the attendants disappeared to the back of the aircraft for some 'rest' when perhaps they could have been attending to their passengers. They were not interested in collecting used drinks/rubbish which languished on my tray until I got up and returned them to the galley. The seats are crammed in 459 passengers on this flight, although not especially uncomfortable for me (I am 5ft 5) but for a taller person must have been hellish. The food choices had run out by the time they got to us so adding insult to the injury of being stuck in the bowels of the plane - first dibs on the food would make that a bit better! To summarise you get what you pay for and I would probably consider PE with Virgin again but definitely never Economy. BA for us in future.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  6 November 2014 by A Baker    (UK)

Lots of negativity read before I flew Newark return. Not really worried as I'm not a fussy person. Flight out was on time, attendants were courteous and professional, food was OK for airline food. Return was supposed to land and 07:30 so booked train tickets accordingly, then changed to land at 09:05 so changed train accordingly but landed at 07:45. Not many will moan about landing early but cost me train change costs for 3 people. Having said that everything on the return (apart from changing our seats and splitting 1 of our family up - not the end of the world) was good. Food (beef stew) again OK and hit the spot. Would I fly Virgin again. Definitely. If you can see past the fact that a few hours flight on an aeroplane is not supposed to be a fortnight in a five star hotel then Virgin will do the job just fine.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  6 November 2014 by M Taylor    (UK)

VS076 MCO- MAN. Make this trip half a dozen times a year. Never use the lounge at MCO instead always get $30 voucher for a meal in the airport instead of eating on the flight. Not tonight $15. Not bad for a 2750 ticket.

| Home | Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking | Airport Ranking| Advertise | Surveys| Site Map| Contact Us | Links |

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax