Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

a World 4-Star Airline

Virgin Atlantic Airways
2.5 Star Rating: Average
1996 reviews

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  31 October 2014 by Marky Mark    (UK)

We flew with Virgin Gatwick to Orlando. We had initially booked economy, however decided to upgrade to upper class at the last minute. Not a problem for the return flight, however we could only secure one upperclass seat for the outbound journey. I let my wife take advantage while I started the journey in economy. When the stewardess was made aware of the situation I was handed a pre flight glass of champagne, to the bemusement of other passengers! I was also told I could join my wife in the upperclass cabin and enjoy some drinks at the bar. A nice touch I thought. Economy food was bad, infact I can't remember having food quite so bad on any previous flight we have taken. What a difference upperclass is! Only 14 seats really gives you the impression you're the only passenger the cabin crew have to look after, impeccable service, lovely food, linen table cloths, salt and pepper shakers, proper cutlery, great tasting food, plenty of drinks and snacks. It really is another world. After spending the majority of the flight in upperclass I reluctantly returned to economy only to be quizzed by everyone around me as to what its like up there! The flight home was superb, it helped that both my wife and I were officially in upperclass this time. Outstanding service, wonderful food, the IFE is poor regardless of class. Virgins lie flat seat is ok, nothing special. Would we fly with Virgin again, the answer to this on completion of our holiday was 100% yes, but only in upper class. Since our holiday we have tried to book another with Virgin, however they are currently advertising upperclass sale seats on their website up to 13th Oct 2015, however when you try to book them the are unavailable. If we change the dates to around June or July they become available, however disappear as soon as you log in to your Virgin Club account - there's loyalty for you.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  31 October 2014 by Bissell Julie    (UK)

We flew Virgin Atlantic in early October 2014, and were really impressed. The attitude of the cabin crew was terrific, always smiling, always ready to help. This is our second flight with Virgin Atlantic (the first was Economy Class), good service, great attitude and a comfortable seat. The meals were tasty and filling, and the entertainment was up to date and varied. Highly recommended. They're on our list for the next trip.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Hardy Dennis    (UK)

Flew on VS7 from LHR to LAX on 21st September and back on VS8 on the 9th October (upper class). The return flight was exactly the same price (to the penny) as BA business class which I have used before on a different route. I chose Virgin because the seat layout is better. Check-in was efficient at Heathrow and was given directions to the Clubhouse lounge. Itís in a different league to BA business class lounge. Super food, great at table service, great ambience. The flight was an hour late departing with late arrival of the aircraft as the reason. But we watched it arrive 2.5 hours before the scheduled departure time? The gate was chaotic and they started boarding premium economy before Upper class, so we just walked through onto the aircraft (didn't pay a small fortune for this). On the plane the staff were great. Very friendly and helpful. Replaced my main course which was inedible (braised beef) with a delicious piece of salmon. The seat was very comfy and went completely flat. The entertainment system needs updating. The screen is small and picture quality and audio is poor, my system needed a re-boot twice. Returning on VS8 we arrived at terminal 3 check in early (4.5 hours before departure as our connecting flight landed on time from Tahiti). The check in desk was closed and we had to wait for an hour and a half before we could check in. Not a fan of LAX, staff are cold bordering on rude but the biggest gripe is a complete lack of seating. Standing around with luggage for an hour and a half is not fun. Once check in opened it was ok. The lounge is the Air New Zealand lounge which is ok. Boarding was fine and properly prioritised. Onboard the aircraft the staff were great in every respect. Again the food was only ok. We had a main course of fillet steak which was great but a starter of 2 small cold scallops with some puree was very poor. Breakfast was a disappointment. The bacon was cold and the sausage tasted bitter. Would I use Virgin upper class again? Absolutely, but they need to up their game with the onboard food and entertainment system.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 October 2014 by B Martin    (USA)

JFK-LHR, LHR-JFK, 747, Economy. Seats were tight, and on the way back my brother's TV was broken, but they gave him a mobile DVD player instead. Food was good, ordered vegetarian special meal. Check in was easy and convenient, good for my first transatlantic flight. Good crew. I'd say its a great airline, and would definitely travel with them again. Good variety of entertainment.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Caroline Davies    (UK)

Heathrow to JFK at the end of September. Virgin staff at Heathrow looked after us very well and all went smoothly until we were in the air. Apart from the usual poor food and narrow seats our major complaint was with the terrible entertainment. Terrible because the whole system had more or less broken down - including the sound and despite several attempts to reboot it never worked properly and we were not able to watch anything. The return journey which was a night flight was awful. Again the entertainment system was faulty and the hand remote controls failed to control anything. When I tried to plug in my headset I couldn't because another passenger had jammed a piece of their headset in the hole so mine couldn't plug in. We were told that most of the screens were faulty on the plane and efforts would be made to reboot the system. When after an hour we asked what was happening we were told by a stressed attendant that as there were only 4 of them to look after 250 of us we would have to wait. I thought this was odd as previously the Captain had stated with pride that he had on board 16 attendants for the flight. When I mentioned this to the attendant he said through gritted teeth that the other 12 were looking after upper class. So poor food, no entertainment and people in next row in front with children who were allowed all through the night to move about, talk loudly, and generally behave with absolutely no consideration for fellow passengers. The flight attendants kept well away but were only too much in evidence when time came to push the duty free at us. We travel regularly to the States as our son lives there but I can assure Virgin we will be flying with BA in future and not darken Virgin's door again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 October 2014 by P Zdanowski    (UK)

My wife and I travelled from London Gatwick - Barbados - London Gatwick on VS030 Upper Class having used my miles to upgrade from economy. The herringbone seat layout meant that window seat passengers could not look out of the window without turning their heads at an awkward angle and aisle seats could not talk to their neighbours at all without physically getting out of their seats and if you put your feet on the stool they were liable to get knocked by anyone passing. The FA's were excellent very attentive, helpful and very pleasant. The food and drink was very acceptable and the in flight entertainment also very good with lots of choice. Having flown with Virgin since the late 80's I still recommend them although I do not like the seating arrangement on the A330 much preferring that on the 747 hence only 8/10.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Kevin Tunnicliffe    (UK)

LHR-EWR and JFK-LHR. First time with Virgin and very impressed indeed. In almost every respect beats BA hands down. Check in and private security channel a breeze at T3. Heathrow Clubhouse every bit as good as the reviews say. Airbus aircraft on outbound with new style seating which is comfortable and easy to use. New style IFE is also good, although not up to Emirates standard. Prior to return we received a text and email warning of severe delays to our flight (due to adverse weather at LHR on 21 October) and offering to move us onto another flight if we could get to JFK. We transferred from VS10 to VS46. VS46 uses a very, very old 747-400 with the old style seating and IFE. The older seating is wider and a little more flexible but the old style IFE not as good as its younger version. Despite the age of the plane everything worked well. Virgin really looked after us and I would not hesitate to use them again. Staff were great and food onboard and in the lounge was better than recent experiences with BA.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 October 2014 by M Ouwendijk    (Belgium)

Having read the above, my husband and I booked 2 Upper Class tickets London Heathrow/Miami instead of a direct flight from Brussels to Miami. Until boarding everything went well. Nice Clubhouse in London, friendly staff, good quality food and drinks. Excited to continue the same "luxury" on our flights with" the pre-flight champagne, to the meal service that's customised to suit your body clock, you'll be spoiled with luxury dining in our Upper class". Our expectations dropped completely when dinner was served. Soup and a salad who looked/tasted if they came out of a plastic bag and put on a plate. Pasta with no sauce nor taste. Cheese was returned without even tasting it. Even though the quality of wine was fine, they did not matched with the meals proposed. We discussed the meal quality with the main cabin hostess, who insisted to comment this on arrival home. Still having some expectations for our return flight in Miami knowing that "Unfortunately we don't have a clubhouse in every location. Don't worry though, we've teamed up with our friends at the airport or another airline to provide you with a clubhouse which is as good as our own ". At the counter, we were directly informed that there was no food in the Miami lounge. We received a voucher of $15 a person for a meal. Of course this huge amount did not cover our expenses and we had to add money to pay the total bill. Experience on board was worse than our incoming flight. An announcement was made that there was a lack of 2 crew members. Resulting in the fact that service was very slow. I already finished my dinner (another salad) and my husband was not yet served. To make the experience even more perfect, only one toilet in Upper Class was working so we had to cross half of the plane and queue in economy class. On arrival I contacted customer service of Virgin. I received a standard reply with the offer of 10.000 miles if we enrolled to their frequent flyer program. The tickets costs a lot of money, therefore we expected complete satisfactory services. It was not the case!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 October 2014 by T Kemsley    (UK)

LGW-MCO-LGW. Travelled to Orlando in PE last week in Sept returning first week in Oct. Although I agree the food quality has gone down I don't expect restaurant quality on any plane, both ways was ok, in fact had the veggie option on outward journey and it was quite tasty! Got offered drinks before meal and then wine with meal, if we had wanted more you only have to ask. Sat in the bubble both ways seats 23H and J and legroom was good, even when the passenger in front reclined their seat, IFE worked fine for my husband - I would travel PE with Virgin again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  21 October 2014 by J Vildrac    (UK)

Recently flew economy with Virgin Atlantic from NYC to LHR. Delays on runway, meant that we did not take off until after 22.00. It took 2 hours from boarding to receive the first drink, which was a small mixer sized can of cola. Cramped seating and my inflight entertainment didn't work. Raised the issue to numerous cabin crew who were unhelpful and ignored call bells. Staff seemed stressed as apparently 80 of us were without inflight entertainment and were told "it would make their life easier if it worked". I was more concerned in making my flight more bearable than their life easier. Eventually and after a very bland meal it was announced that the inflight entertainment system would be re-booted, which meant shutting down everyone's for 45 minutes. It was very late by now and I never did get to experience Virgin Atlantic's "award winning" inflight entertainment. Left flight feeling dehydrated, tired and nauseous. Whole experience was in complete contrast to our flight out to NYC with Delta who looked after us so well.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 October 2014 by E Neu    (USA)

SFO-LHR. Premium economy. The seats were comfortable, wide and reclined a little extra compared to economy. The crew were great, very attentive, helpful and friendly. The food was decent for airline food. There is no in seat power, as advertised on Virgin Atlantic website. This is a lie. The headset connection on my seat was broken and my iPhone was low on power (I assumed there would be in seat power which I could connect to) so I went the entire flight with no entertainment. The flight was comfortable and smooth, took off on time, got in early, no issues. I would fly on Virgin Atlantic again, for sure.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 October 2014 by D Greenaway    (UK)

LHR-LAX, LAX-LHR. Outward journey was one of the best ever with VA. Have used them for several years travelling in business (would hesitate to recommend them for economy as the leg room is one of the worst). Flight was early, food quite appetising and the crew were 10/10 with a great flight manager. Return trip not so hot. My wife's inflight monitor was not working, the crew rebooted it twice which promptly knocked out mine. Gave us both a portable unit, but the two films I had selected from the in flight mag were not on the pad. My wife's ran dry with low battery warning after about an hour and a half. One complaint is that their wines (proudly supplied by Berry Bros) always seem a bit over the top. I enjoy a few glasses during the flight, but often they disappoint. Of late I tend to stick to the Lanson, at least you know what you are going to get.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 October 2014 by C David    (Ireland)

We recently flew from LHR to ORD on the 340. Having now flown Virgin for a number of years was interested to see if there onboard service lived up to the shiny corporate image! Sadly not! The A340's are getting quite grubby at this stage. I purposely selected seats in the small economy cabin right behind PE thinking this would be a better experience. Straight away I noticed my IFE screen wasn't working. Brought this to the attention of first available flight attendant, she told me there were plenty spare seats in rear of cabin if we wanted to move. We packed up our stuff and went back 10 rows and settled in again. Now I couldn't select any movie! Again I struggled to get an attendants attention, when I did he in fairness told me that "they were sick of the IFE's breaking down", I was given a tablet so at least I got to watch a few movies. The meal was edible by airline standards which isn't saying a whole lot. My biggest problem with the whole flight was the general total air of non interest from the cabin crew! Twice I put my hand up to a passing attendant who completely ignored me and another time we asked for water and she never came back. I for one will be much happier to travel with BA in the future.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Andrew Manson    (UK)

Travelled Virgin Atlantic From Manchester to Barbados return. Out on 22nd Sept return on 29th. Flight was excellent the crew could not do enough for you and were so friendly and chatty. Excellent meal tray. My Partner had a really tasty baked leek dish with blue cheese and walnuts and I had the chicken. The meal was served on a large tray with ample food warm bread rolls and were offered wine throughout, and a Brandy or Amarula to finish along with tea and coffee. The entertainment was also excellent both my partner and I were excited to see latest films listed that we'd wanted to watch for a few weeks when in the cinema but never got around to it. The aircraft was the B747 return must admit we enjoyed being seated on the upper deck more on the outbound but the seats downstairs were just as comfortable. Would definitely recommend Virgin to family and friends, the crew were happy to get you anything you asked for and more. I often think people complaining about service on here must be expecting one on one service. the crew didn't stop and if you did want a second, third or even forth drink you were welcomed in the galley to ask the crew even when they were having a meal break. Which embarrassingly I did interrupt to get my partner and I a wine in the middle of the flight.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 October 2014 by I Lester    (UK)

The aircraft was old and dirty. The staff commenced service by announcing that they would inevitably run out of food and drink selections due to the eco non waste policy. What a start to a flight. The food as always was inedible. However, being forced to use Virgin Atlantic, (Manchester to Orlando) before I had brought sandwiches. Flying Virgin Atlantic is a miserable experience.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 October 2014 by M Stanger    (UK)

Just returned from LHR-LAX, BOS-LHR all in Upper Class. Generally a good experience but with some real inconsistencies in the offer. Outbound on A340/600 with a really great crew, excellent service, good food. Inbound on new A330 and a very different experience, food very disappointing and the A330 just seems strangely cramped with a challenging operating system for the bed/table/sitting configuration and generally a lack of space, crew was excellent again. Clubhouse at Heathrow is just great but the Boston version really lacks charm, small and a bit stuffy. Overall, very good with great crews on both flights.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 October 2014 by R Toopie    (USA)

We flew "upper" class from LA to LHR and back - the airline is an embarrassment. They should be sued for false marketing because when you go on their web page it all sounds so glamorous - it's not. Check-in staff at LAX very rude. The seats were ripped and falling apart. The area around the seat, was filthy (yet another reason for wipes). The tray table covered in red wine stains. The armrest of my seat was broken and when you tried to recline the seat it growled. My partners seat did not recline at all. On the way back, my tv was broken (oh sorry, nothing we can do ). The food was appalling. Crew - rude, indifferent and condescending. I paid a lot of money for these "upper" class seats and will not do it again. I have flown ANZ premium class and had better service, their crew are wonderful and the food is delicious (worthy of first class!). How they manage to continue to flourish in this business boggles the mind.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Saunders Valerie    (UK)

Travelled from San Francisco to Heathrow on 1st October. The only point I would like to make is that the food served in economy was dreadful the main meal was beef or chicken they must have been on the plane at least 48 hours prior to being served and the bread rolls were so hard you could not eat them, from what I could see no one touched their meals. We did not have this trouble on the journey to San Francisco on the 11th September.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  6 October 2014 by A Parkin    (UK)

I'm a regular 'commuter' on the MAN-LHR-MAN route and warmly welcomed the introduction of 'Little Red' a while back, as a worthy competitor to the BA monopoly, (following the absorption of bmi). I've used this route quite a few times since, in both directions, and have always been pretty impressed with what was on offer. On the most recent occasion, and through necessity, my return booking was made less than 24h. before departure but still only cost some £98 return - when BA was quoting something along the lines of £300! There's really no differentiation in service, and I've always found the staff - both in the terminals and on-board - to be friendly, accommodating and pro-active. It's a real pity that rumours and speculation regarding the future of this operation continue to circulate, which no doubt must impact upon forward bookings. Definitely worth giving a go - and especially now that T2 at Heathrow is the new 'home' - a much-improved arrival/departure experience!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 October 2014 by D Versi    (UK)

We flew economy class from Heathrow to Chicago and our return flight was premium economy from Las Vegas to Gatwick. At Heathrow we were asked if we would like a better economy seat with more room for £40 each. We accepted. The extra room was OK. The food was diabolical. The return premium economy flight was much better. The food again was awful (both dinner and breakfast) although served with stainless steel cutlery and on china plates. It lacked proper seasoning and was tasteless. The alcoholic drinks were of inferior quality especially terrible undrinkable "scotch" whisky. VANA (Virgin Atlantic never again)!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 October 2014 by D McNeilly    (UK)

Excellent customer service on arriving at London Heathrow and throughout the flight to Newark New Jersey and back on VS 1 and VS 2. One of the best airline seats I have travelled on. Good quality food and extensive drink selection. IFE worked well on outbound. Poor sound quality on inbound. Reasonable choice of films, TV, music, and games. The only downside were the crew announcements which were inaudible at times and the distribution by cabin staff of drinks as customers were trying to board the plane; comical. Would I recommend Virgin Premium Economy? Yes, but not at the price I paid.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 October 2014 by K Ballantyne    (UK)

Such a disappointment! Having flown with Virgin a few times we were looking forward to our flights from Edinburgh through Heathrow to Miami. Unfortunately, Little Red flight delayed so we had to transfer to BA to get to Heathrow in time. Plane from Heathrow was cramped and uncomfortable seating - economy seats I know but had always been more comfortable and spacious in the past! 1 bar service in a 9h+ flight. Small spirit measure and 1 glass of wine with meal. Realise not a good idea to have much alcohol on long haul flights but feel there should have been 2-3 bar services throughout the entire flight. Water or juice only offered. Poor quality meal, cheap ice lolly and pretty tasteless 2 finger sandwiches before landing. What's happened to this airline? Plane half empty. Staff more interested in having a social gathering amongst themselves at the back of the plane. Dirty, smelly toilets - even just after boarding! Only positive points were we arrived on time with all baggage and to be fair, experienced a good flight with Little Red on our return from Heathrow to Edinburgh - much more pleasant staff and the offer of a miniature spirit, small bottle of wine - double the quantity we were offered on the long haul flights both out and return to Miami! Agree with other reviewers that we won't use Virgin again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  23 September 2014 by Glenn Biffen    (UK)

LGW-HAV-LGW: The outbound flight was okay, nothing really eventful just wondered why majority of cabin crew were very relaxed about responding to the calls from the passengers (including myself)? Announcements were very difficult to decipher, whether it was the actual system or the persons making the announcements (whether from flight deck or cabin) were very quiet. Return flight was okay, food was surprisingly good, however breakfast was a lot to be desired - choice and quantity. Announcements were much clearer and better to understand. Was very annoyed at the cabin crew who decided to do the duty free run after the lights were out. Trying to sleep whilst all you can hear is the banter of someone buying perfume is not very good in my opinion. Some cabin crew didn't seem to be very alert to some important things such as reclined seats in the rows in front when preparing to depart. Had to discreetly point this out. Call bells were better attended to this time.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  20 September 2014 by A Robinson    (UK)

Flew to Orlando with Virgin in April this year, in one of their old Jumbos. Seating was very cramped and not very comfortable at all, yes I know I was in economy but I've been flying for years and I really think they ought to replace the old 747s. Flight was delayed 24 hours on the way home! We were told it was due to weather / ground staff at Palm Beach where the plane had to land first! I thought this was rubbish especially when we found out the plane the day before was also delayed 24 hours. We are going to Las Vegas next year and have no intentions of using Virgin then or ever again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Issac Chung    (Hong Kong)

Excellent trip with Virgin Atlantic, flight VS 200 from Hong Kong to Sydney. 1) The price is lower than others. 2) The food was very nice and tasty. 3) The flight attendants were very nice, friendly and helpful. They had a smile on their face the whole trip. 4) On-time performance was very good. 5) Nice Entertainment - plenty of choices of movies. The only thing I don't like is the seat - a little bit short for seat pitch.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 September 2014 by M John    (USA)

Round trip from LAX to Heathrow - I was pretty satisfied with the them. If you fly economy with them the extra legroom seats are a must. It's only 3 inches but it's shocking how much difference it makes. That said I still tried to upgrade to PE but it was full. The outward leg was on the 747 named Lady Penelope (the oldest 747 in their fleet). It couldn't be more obvious that they are phasing these planes over the next year or two. The interior was worn out and broken down, looking every bit of its 25 years. Service was normal and polite as usual and we were no worse for wear upon landing. The return journey though was quite enjoyable in the same EXLR seat on a A340-600. Again PE was full while the UC seems like it takes up half the plane, looked half empty. The interior was much better but the IFE is woefully dated and almost impossible to see in anything but complete darkness. I feel like I'm ticking off a lot of negatives but really it was the return journey service that stood out. All the ladies on VS23 (13/09/14) were polite and helpful. They were moving through the cabin the whole trip checking on passengers while offering water and juice 3-4 times in between meal and snack service. I rang the bell and the flight attendant was there in seconds. Maybe this kind of attention is normal on other airlines such as Emirates or Cathay Pacific but I have yet to experience it. I just know on this particular flight I felt like I was treated like an UC passenger. Once Virgin turns over their fleet and moves to the 787-9 they will be back up in the upper echelon of European airlines. They have the staff and style, it's really just the equipment that's holding them back as they have few new planes in their inventory. Until then I would be open to using them again if the chance arises.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  15 September 2014 by J Whaley    (UK)

I don't usually complain but feel Virgin need to up their game to match the reputation they have earned. My partner and I booked a package with Virgin holidays to New York from London Heathrow. We booked with Virgin specifically because of the reputation and quality assurance it gave us and didn't mind paying the extra for that added security. Having just returned I can say that while I am thankful we arrived safely each way, the experience was nothing special and was actually comparable to a budget airline. Leg room is not great and we both had problems with our entertainment systems on each flight. Food was ok at best on the way out but was terrible on the return (and my expectations of the food were by no means high). The organisation of the return flight was a sham, people being moved into other people's seats which caused a domino effect of problems with one young single traveller being asked to move three times to accommodate others. The most disappointing part for me was the poor attitude of the staff, particularly on the return leg. A simple request for a soft drink left me feeling that I had very much caused an inconvenience and left me feeling reluctant to make any further requests. Our experience has been poor and regretfully I will not choose to fly with Virgin again. Our best experience for long haul flights to date has been with New Zealand Airways (London to LA). Lots of work to be done at Virgin sadly.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  15 September 2014 by P Ryan    (USA)

I had an excellent experience with Virgin. The only trauma was Orlando International Airport security lines. I have never seen such a disorganized hopeless mess in my life. But to the flight. Since it was my first time, I wasn't going to blow money on Upper Class. I wanted to find out what Premium Economy was like first. It lived up to its little video on their site. The boarding was quick and easy. The flight attendants on the way out were friendly and helpful and the food was surprisingly tasty! One of the best meals I've eaten for not being in business class. It felt like a short flight, which is something I cannot say too often on a long haul transatlantic flight (I usually travel through Tampa). The return flight was less impressive mostly due to the seat I got, but the service was still just as good and the food again quite tasty. All in all, a very enjoyable trip with Virgin - and how often can you say that flying these days? Didn't get to see their upper class but will get the opportunity to do so at Xmas. The leg room in PE is the same as a first class domestic flight. You don't feel cramped at all, even if you cannot fully recline.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Opakunle Joyce    (UK)

First time in premium economy. We travelled from London to Lagos on 23rd July - the service was below par, coming back on 3rd September was even worse. When I say worse I mean onboard, the ground service was fantastic! Our return flight on 3rd September 2014, before we were served the main meal we were offered only one drink, orange juice and we were not asked if there was anything else we wanted - told dinner was about to be served so we should wait. Dinner was served, we requested chicken, we were seated in the second / third row and were told that they had run out, we ended up with beef. My son requested a bread roll, after 20 minutes I got up to go and find out what had happened to it, only to be told again that they had run out. Cabin crew were very hesitant and unhelpful. Not value for money.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  15 September 2014 by A Hallatt    (UK)

09/09/14, VS016 from MCO 19.35, (Delayed until 21.20). I have flown with Virgin a few times and they usually a good airline to fly with (and I have written positive comments accordingly) but this last flight, the attendants were completely disinterested in their customers. Such a shame to see how much the staff on this particular flight have let their company down. We were sat in the emergency exit seats and a staff member seemed more interested in using the exit door as a "beat box" with his hands and yawning without having the courtesy of at least putting his hand over his mouth. Our friends on the other side of the plane were served with the same amount of interest. Come on Virgin Atlantic, where is the professionalism?

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Angela Chui    (UK)

London Heathrow on 13th August to Hong Kong and returned on 27th August 2014. Very disappointed as my ordered vegetarian meal was missing even though I had double checked and had confirmation that it was ordered when checking in my luggage before boarding. So on my return trip, I checked and had confirmation again that it had been ordered. This time my vegetarian meal turned out to be an "Asian vegetarian" meal, a curry, instead of my "normal vegetarian meal of pasta! Normally I would accept this but as I can't eat curries at all I pointed the mistake out to a cabin crew who said they would check. I waited and no one came back to me so while they started serving everyone else's meal and passed me without a word I asked again about my normal vegetarian meal of pasta and not Asian vegetarian. Couldn't believe it when the same curry as before was given to me again. Obviously the crew didn't listen to what I had said or couldn't care less at all. To top it all of, I later found out from my husband, sitting 3 seats away from me with our 2 children between us, that they had tried to put the mistake down to me because I had asked for a Asian vegetarian meal myself when, in fact, I had specifically asked for a normal one of pasta as per menu after the first mistake.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 September 2014 by J Baird    (UK)

I wasn't that impressed by the legroom on a recent trip to Orlando, BA and the American Airlines that we have used in recent years are definitely more spacious. If only this was our only complaint. One of our bags arrived torn in two places and the bottom hanging off. The time spent trying to rectify this has been almost as much as it took to cross the Atlantic. At this rate Virgin could soon be an award winning airline for the worst customer service ever!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 September 2014 by M Dawes    (UK)

Gatwick - Las Vegas - Gatwick. B747-400. Never again. I'd rather stay in the rainy UK than give Virgin any of my money. Paid £4.400 for premium economy seats to Las Vegas for 3 people. I've never seen any crew be so rude to passengers. 1 beer after take off from Gatwick, asked for another with lunch rather than wine, was told "wine, water or nothing". Food is nice and nice to have a choice but in a premium cabin on any airline, that's what I expect and the liquors after lunch or dinner is a nice touch. Only other offer of drinks is juice or water throughout the 11 hour flight. Can not comment on any other cabin service as we never saw the crew for the rest of the flight, it seems Virgin crew go to work so sleep in the crew rest area they told the passengers about rather than serve passengers that pay to be on the aircraft. When the seat in front of you is reclined, you can't get out of your seat. Had no choice but to fly virgin as BA didn't fly to Vegas on he date we had to travel. Never again will I fly on a Virgin aircraft if I have a choice. So rude.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 September 2014 by M Roy    (UK)

LHR-YVR return. Flew out economy and back PE. Entertainment system not working either way. No picture on way out, no sound on some channels on way back, some advertised programming not actually on the system (f.e. Top Gear). The tray tables in PE are too small, and in armrest. Cannot open when passenger in front has seat reclined. Cannot open fully flat as seats are too narrow and it hits immovable central arm rest which you must climb over to get out of seat. Hand pinched (twice) trying to get tray out of armrest. Food (esp in PE) very average - no better than economy fare on the cheapest scheduled airline. Breakfast inedible. "Bacon" was like leather and could not be cut with metal knife. No offers of drinks refills, water only offered with dinner but no room on seat tray. No choice of beverages. Extremely rude staff members on return. No in-flight magazines, just a duty free mag and one with a list of the entertainment. Assumed there were charging points in PE. There were, but they could only be used if you had a charger with a UK plug. Assumed this would be a USB point. Was brought some weird extension cords, couldn't use them without the UK 3 pin plug which was packed. Boarding at Vancouver was chaotic. Staff didn't even attempt to adhere to their own rules. They just sent everybody through. Passengers with children regardless of age barged in front of other passengers who had been queuing for some time. Seats very uncomfortable in both E and PE. Have lots of VA miles which will use on another airline. Will not fly with them again. Only four toilets for the whole of economy and PE on the aircraft. Had to walk all the way to the rear of the aircraft. Would not let PE customers use UC toilets, even though they are located directly in front of PE.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Kirupakaran Vanniasingam    (UK)

LHR-JFK, 21st August 2014, VS03. Return from JFK, 24th August 2014,†VS04. Very disappointed. Last time I experienced Virgin Atlantic was 3 years ago. Fantastic in every way. However, my wife and I flew to NY from LHR last week and it was awful. Crew members don't know what a smile is and have forgotten what service means. Food is below standard. Entertainment is 6 years old. Beverage selection? No selection at all. We compare with BA, Singapore, Emirates and Qatar, Virgin is very poor. Our short trip to NY was really spoilt by Virgin.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Colette Dickenson    (UK)

I flew with Virgin Little Red on the evening of 22nd July 2014 from Heathrow to Manchester, I flew down that morning with British Airways. I normally fly BA, but decided on Virgin Little Red to come home to try the service as work colleagues had highly recommended them. I must say that I am now a convert, the food etc., was very similar between the two flights, but it was the crew that made the difference. They actually seemed to want the passengers on the plane and to look after us, even though it was only a very short flight, nothing seemed too much trouble. It was like flying with BMI again, friendly crew which made the flight a pleasure to be on, unlike a lot of BA flights I have flown on in the last year or so.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 September 2014 by O James    (USA)

We arrived at the LHR transfer Virgin Desk to give our baggage tags to the Virgin staff, two of them were just standing there talking to each other whist the queue was growing behind us and the other staff on the desk were taking a very long time with the people who were ahead of us. We got to the counter and were issued with new boarding passes and given a voucher for free tea or coffee. We got to our gate and sat down to wait to board. They announced boarding for people traveling with kids or people who needed assistance to go first. Other passengers seemed to not care and boarding became a free for all so we decided just to get on the aircraft. We were greeted by name which was a nice touch and told were told were our seats were 43h&K. The vera on-demand system was not turned on until 20 mins after the flight had taken off. Food was very bland and had no taste to it when served. The seats we found were very uncomfortable almost like a charter plane, the headrest would not adjust the way British Airways or Aer Lingus would. Overall I don't think we would fly with Virgin again BA, United and Aer Lingus are far more comfortable and have better service than Virgin. I do not understand what the all the hype that surrounds Virgin is all about the competition is far better.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Kier Dudley    (UK)

16 Aug, VS012, BOS to LHR in premium economy - Excellent service as usual, first flight on A330 which was impressive. My current airline of choice across the Atlantic.

3 Aug, VS095, LHR to YVR, 3rd PE flight in 3 years, excellent on board service as usual. Only issue was luggage was not tagged correctly at LHR and was one of the last out at YVR, this was pointed out to the agent at check in who informed us that there would not be an issue as the computer would sort! Staff training issue here. Flight on older A340 aircraft which are due to be replaced next year, whilst have the new PE seats have the old entertainment system.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 August 2014 by J Wassermann    (UK)

London - Johannesburg - London. 6/8/2014 - 16/8/2014. I had to get an urgent direct flight for a close family bereavement and found available Virgin with a direct flight at reasonable cost. It got me there on time, but given a choice in future I will not use Virgin again. The menu, preparation, presentation and taste of the food is at least two decades behind times. On the outbound flight I could not get the meal of my choice, the alternative was not an option I would eat and thus declined a meal. The seats are very uncomfortable and leg space is configured for cattle class. I travel frequently and the same economy class is much better on most competitive airlines. Service, snacks and drinks are nothing but skimpy and lacks that feeling that they want to please you. Inflight entertainment had to be rebooted several times and my broken headset had to be replaced.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Rowena Neblett    (UK)

I travelled from Manchester to Barbados return. Both ways they ran out of choices of meals. When I questioned why, I was given a curt reply. The staff came across as very indifferent to passengers needs. If you want a drink after your first initial drink we were told that only one drink was served due to some passengers drinking too much. As a 50 year old travelling eating a meal which I did not want and refused a glass of wine due to other passengers" maybe" drinking too much is quite insulting. The final straw was they had run out of drinks and apologies were made to passengers that there was no more drinks on board as they had no room to store drinks and other passengers had drunk too much. Is this the service you expect on a well known airline? More training needed maybe? Is it because it is economy?

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Cole Bernard    (UK)

Seasoned travellers but our first with VA, LHR to Antigua. Package deal, so economy, chose to pay on check-in for extra leg room -££40 extra. Flight was excellent from start to finish, could not fault VA out or inbound. Seats were comfortable enabling a good sleep, food very good, service again very good. Booked VA again - LHR to Grenada via St Lucia in September, this time PE.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 August 2014 by A Proschel    (UK)

LHR to SFO, March 2014, Upper Class Lounge at Heathrow excellent with huge choice of freshly made food and drinks including champagne. The Cowshed has large range of treatments if you so wish, showers etc and very polite and helpful lounge staff. Upper Class really lived up to its name on outbound trip, nothing too much trouble. Meals including quality wines, afternoon tea with delicate pastries and macaroons. Seat / flatbed really comfortable, plenty of varied inflight entertainment. Return trip still very good with exception of one cabin staff member, she was not enjoying her job at all and really didn't want to be there as I overheard her telling a man in seat behind me! She gave me wrong breakfast and when I remarked on this she said it was what I ordered, only when another passenger had same problem did she realise she had mixed order up, trays were swapped but no apology. This was only problem and her poor attitude didn't take anything away from the flight enjoyment, fabulous to lie flat and be able to sleep. We had flown from San Fran to Hawaii with Hawaiian Airlines and didn't realise until we returned we could claim partner airmiles but needed boarding cards which we hadn't kept, customer services were brilliant and gave us the airmiles as a kindness, great PR and we will be booking with Virgin again very soon If Flight crew are good it's a great trip but poor /rude crew can really ruin your flight, this should be addressed as Virgin has a great product.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 August 2014 by M Pettit    (UK)

Travelled with them about 15 years ago to New York - bumped off flight to New York with two children . This caused problem with hotel reservation at the other end. On way back, because we hadn't left on assigned flight out, we were cancelled on return one - very poor customer service - no apology or compensation. After 15 years thought I'd give them a second chance, just been told that they that cancelled my planned return flight from Chicago. No alternative offer apart from a day later - refused to pay extra hotel accommodation cost, only prepared to offer a refund, not prepared to book me onto an alternative airline at their expense. Appalling customer service, not recommended.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  21 August 2014 by V J Goodman    (UK)

Just returned from Florida after a very enjoyable holiday which was not enhanced by Virgin flight. My criticism revolves around the food on the flight and the wait times once landed. The food going out was just ok but the return flight food I found totally unacceptable both diner and breakfast. The wait time to get off the plane on arriving after a nine hour flight was over half an hour, the excuse given was the airport was too busy to accept us immediately. On the return to Manchester we were also left sitting on the plane for more than half an hour, this was due to parking the plane off stand and waiting for buses. The excuse given was the airport was very busy, which was obviously not true because we were the only passengers going though passport control. After paying what I feel a premium price for a Virgin flight (a party of 10) it was just not good enough. We flew earlier in the year to Barbados with Thomas Cook and the flight and food was excellent.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  21 August 2014 by T Valjak    (UK)

LHR-LAX return, two adults, two children: overall experience was very good and well beyond my relatively low expectations. Seat reservations honoured, quick check-in at either sides, planes on time. Most staff on ground and in air very friendly and helpful. Planes were full to capacity with smooth and efficient service. Seat comfort what you'd expect in economy though with help of pillows and blanket bearable. Inflight entertainment very good. Sat upper deck on return which allowed a much calmer 747 experience compared to main deck.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 August 2014 by Zhi Finlay    (UK)

VS009 to JFK New York. As always Virgin Clubhouse is top-class and arguably cooks the best fresh food of all global airlines. The Clubhouse has a very soothing ambience and is a wonderful way to begin a holiday. Welcomed on board by name from an enthusiastic and very professional staff who did all they could to help and go the extra mile. Food was good, films good too and the nice, flat bed helps enormously too. All in all a very good flight from a high quality airline.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Catherine Halliwell    (UK)

Flown last month on a 747-400, MAN-MCO, economy class. Very nice welcome and a good range of leg room. A variety of movies, food was very nice. Very dirty wing, and dusty cabin apart from that Virgin Atlantic is far better than Thomson Airways.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  16 August 2014 by B David    (USA)

Heathrow to LAX. Paid extra for premium economy just to have passengers in front seat in my lap the whole flight. Seat broken so nothing could be done. Since stuck in one position whole 10 hours had sun in my eyes with nowhere to go since staff refused request to ask passenger if possibly could put blind down. Could not even use Premium Economy toilets, had to go to coach per Virgin staff. Very rude staff who serve bland, tasteless food and obviously hate there job. Have flown for over 15 years with Virgin and if they don't improve soon they are going down to BA's level if not lower. Staff needs to learn to smile and treat passengers better. Not sure what good paying for Premium Economy is when seats are uncomfortable and service awful. Don't waste your time contacting customer service as they won't help or even try.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Lim Eddie    (UK)

London to LAX and back LAX-LHR, 10 August 2014, VS24. From departure to lounge, very poor directions to lounge. The lounge is hugely disappointing. The food counter looks like a hawker stall with really bad selection of food. When I told the receptionist that better directions to the lounge would help us tourists using this airport, she commented that we got there anyway! The lounge is really nothing to shout about. If we had known that's it is of such poor standard, we would prefer to spend our time in duty free. Service on the plane was excellent. But entertainment system keep on breaking down and hanging.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Mark Simons    (UK)

LGW-Barbados return. Issue with on-line check in not working was frustrating in that you went through the whole process entering passport details only to get a message on completion that the system was down. Also happened on return. A message at the outset would have been much more helpful. Check in agent at terminal was very jovial and pleasant and seating as requested was honoured. Outbound flight delayed by an hour due to passengers disembarking an AirNas flight. It was not possible to board the Virgin flight as there was insufficient space in the walkways! Seated in row 23 Premium economy. Friendly cabin crew handed out pre-flight drinks and menus. Good entertainment system with good choice of movies. Pre-dinner drinks served promptly. Meal service commenced and I was disappointed that my choice had already run out by time they served me leaving me with the vegetarian curry. I did not expect not to be able to have my choice in Premium economy. Uneventful flight which made up some time across the ocean. Return flight departed on time and landed early at Gatwick. Dinner was a creole chicken dish which was actually quite tasty. Cabin was far too warm making for quite an uncomfortable flight and too hot to sleep. Breakfast was pretty good - choice of continental or full English. Having landed early the gate was occupied so we had to sit on the aircraft for half an hour which was quite frustrating. E gates at LGW not working so by time we got through the queue luggage was waiting.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  12 August 2014 by C Roy    (Dubai)

Flown VS-400 to Heathrow in the summer for our annual trip back and we were amazed how friendly and helpful the cabin crew were. I couldn't fault a single thing. Happy staff and great food for aeroplane standard. Always offered us drinks and asking about our welfare. Everything about it was great!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  8 August 2014 by L Vierneisel    (USA)

Chicago to Heathrow, July 10, Flight VS040. Flight from Heathrow back to Chicago, July 20, Flight VS039. Our experience with this airline was fabulous. The flight attendants seemed happy, focused, and enthused about the job they were doing. Our crew always kept us up to date on what was going on. We were also offered a beverage many times throughout the flight. We really enjoyed our time on board the aircraft.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Joe Stevens    (UK)

I went from Manchester to Orlando, when we boarded the crew helped us with our baggage. All crew were very nice, food lovely, everything was excellent. Seats comfortable, there was a nervous flyer seated next to me and the crew did a very good job of keeping her calm and reassuring her.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Darnbrough Simon    (UK)

MAN-LHR-DEL return. Little Red from Manchester to Heathrow efficient and friendly service followed by simple bus transfer to terminal 3 without need to go through security again. Night flight to Delhi on A330 very uncomfortable with cabin temperature very cool, with seemingly less legroom and less seat padding than on earlier Little Red flight. Very quick food service, although no choice of food by the time it reached us in the middle of economy, and then left in peace until breakfast. Return flights all in daylight and an excellent cabin service from the crew who seemed to never stop working either on food or drinks services (the ice lolly service is a nice touch). Seats however still very uncomfortable!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Quentin Clothier    (UK)

This was my first time with Virgin and I will not fly with them again. I recently flew return London to South Africa (Jo'burg). I have travelled many long haul flights on both business and pleasure and I can unequivocally say that on a score of 1-10 this rated as a 1. On my outward flight the experience was, well, cattle class at its absolute worse. The return trip however was far worse and just dire! So starting with little things, the aircraft was really tatty with the pouch in front of me containing all the brochures falling forward because the stitching was broken - this on observation was the case with many seats around me ensuring that the pouch was resting against my legs for 11 hours - tatty! The films were old - out of date and the food was awful. The return flight was staffed by stroppy staff - no smiles at all. I've been flying over 25 years and I've never even reviewed a flight before because from BA to Singapore Airlines to cheap Russian / African airlines, all have been reasonably ok to excellent but this was just a poor experience. On the return flight crew were far worse.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Johnstone Colin    (UK)

We will never fly with Virgin again. This year on our annual Florida holiday we decided to take a direct flight back, usually we like a break and fly via another US city. However for speed we thought we'd fly with Virgin. Our disappointment was almost immediate as we stepped on the plane and found our seats, we expected a nice friendly welcome from the inflight staff but the surly stewardess couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge us. When I sat down I discovered that we were actually on a chartered flight as I'd never been on a scheduled flight with such a tight seat pitch. Inflight safety was almost criminal neglect as no one onboard would be able to stomach what passed for a safety video. Food was next and it was sparse and terrible. So here is my message to anyone thinking of flying with Virgin to Florida - do not do it - you can have a much better experience by booking a one stopper through a US airline. We have done Delta, US Airlines and United in the past few years and whilst the staff are surprising mature they are extremely attentive, provide great service and know how to feed you. They also have enough between their ears to have a sensible conversation with. An added bonus we had was a delayed flight from Florida to New York which gave us a free day in the Big Apple a few years back.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Graham Mills    (UK)

VS010, JFK to LHR on 27 July 2014. Finally took off 2 hours late, an hour plus on the tarmac waiting to leave. The PA system was so bad you could not hear what was being said. Did not try the inflight entertainment where the screen is usually so bad you may as well not bother. Big no no was the evening meal, I ordered Chicken Korma and it was disgusting. I told the steward and he offered me an alternative but I declined. Positive point was the crew are always helpful and professional. Pity about the rest.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 August 2014 by A Hansen    (Denmark)

Flew from Manchester to Orlando and Miami to London Heathrow. On both flights everything was top class. Ok seats and food. Very nice entertainment system with lots of movies, music and games. Helpful crew. Both flights were on time which is especially convenient when having connecting flights.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Gilbert Schwartz    (USA)

MIA-LHR r.t. in Upper Class - July 20 - July 27 - service by flight attendants was outstanding. However, the overall experience was disappointing. Seats have three positions: upright, slight recline and flat bed. Upon request, the flight attendant will reposition the seat into a bed and provide a duvet and coverlet with pillow. The bed is satisfactory for sleeping but it is not possible to readjust to a seating position without vacating the seat and removing the linen. The entire configuration is uncomfortable and impractical. When the seat is configured to a flat bed, reading and watching TV is near impossible. A far better seat would allow the passenger to readjust the bed to a comfortable recline which would permit reading, watching TV, or eating which is the case with most other carriers. People with some limited mobility should avoid Upper Class at all cost.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  30 July 2014 by C Henshaw    (UK)

LHR-JFK, 747, Upper Deck, economy class. Great selection of inflight entertainment. Food service ok, 3 choices of main - chicken, chilli con carne and vegetarian pasta dish, I had the chicken and whilst the fillet was small it was tasty. Passion fruit mousse desert was better. Love heart candy is a great touch. Flight arrived 10 mins early. Be aware if looking for somewhere to sleep upper deck is not for you as there is a large gap between your seat and the window/bulkhead - however it is perfect for those needing a space to put more stuff in flight.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 July 2014 by C Henshaw    (UK)

Little Red, EDI-LHR, 19 June. Service more or less on par with British Airways (Except that I note that the BA flight 10 mins later had a 30 min delay). Snack service with Drink, Baggage included to 23KG which is nice. Seemed to take some time for baggage return in Heathrow. Entertainment on board consists of old school flight safety demo, and a few sheets of glossy paper masquerading as an inflight magazine. In all, if you're going to fly, worthwhile to fly with them, but personally I prefer the train service.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Sarga Kumar    (UK)

I travelled from Heathrow to Los Angeles and I found that the seating was cramped for such a long journey and with very little padding on the seats it was a very uncomfortable journey. The stewards ignored calls and refused to meet the eye. They also lost my luggage and it was more than 24 hours before I got it back. The food was good, and can't complain about the service on the return flight.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 July 2014 by R Wieland    (Hong Kong)

HKG-LHR-HKG in Upper Class, "Dancing Queen" into LHR and "Bubbles" into HKG. This was our first flight with Virgin and the three of us (2 adults and 1 seven year old) enjoyed it. The staff went out of their way to treat every one as if you are their only passengers. Their friendly and jovial attitude as well as the flexible dining options are something to be commended. I have bad memories of the old CX herringbone layout who based it on Virgin's, but in the a340-600 at least, the cabin was light and airy and the walls of your cubicle are not as high. The lounge in HK is great, but the clubhouse in Heathrow is fantastic. It appears as if every member of staff, from check-in to cabin like their job and are happy to do it. The only negative is the somewhat limited IFE with very limited choices of movies and tv shows. CX is far superior in that respect.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Eriksson Anders    (UK)

Flew from LHR to JFK in May 2014 and opted for extra legroom rather than premium economy. Can't fault it. Both me and my wife are over 6 ft and had a really comfy flight. Food was ok. It's after all airline food which is never going to overwhelm you. We normally fly with budget airlines around Europe, so for us it was like luxury. I would recommend getting extra legroom if you're over 5 ft 11.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Van Page    (USA)

The baggage size was extremely limited. Normal overhead bags would not fit in the size checker. I travel a great deal, and have never encountered such restrictions. So, we wound up paying $80 to check one bag beyond our limit. When we boarded, we found that the flight was only 1/2 full and the overhead compartments were the normal size. They would have fit our luggage easily.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by C Perman    (UK)

EI3026, ABZ-LHR, return EI3023, LHR-ABZ. Excellent domestic flights, which really put the joy back into domestic flying. Online check-in was a breeze, and then straight through security to the plane. Outward flight was fantastic. Complimentary bacon roll and cup of tea were really nice and greatly appreciated after a long drive to the airport early in the morning! Seats were pretty standard for domestic flying and suitable for a short flight, although if the person in front reclines their chair it does feel lightly cramped. Flight crew were fantastic and really friendly, punctual landing into LHR. And free love hearts - quirky, fun, and really give the airline a character. Return flight was slightly marred prior to boarding when I was asked to put my hand baggage into the hold as it was large (not over the limits) and the flight was very busy. In fact, there was plenty of space on the plane for my bag, so this did little more than delay my departure from Aberdeen. But again, a really nice flight and very quick. Friendly crew again, and a complimentary drinks service (including alcoholic, but unfortunately I was driving). Overall, great value. Slightly more expensive than the low cost competition, but you do get value for money, and for Heathrow it is usually cheaper than BA. Would fly again in an instant. Frequent flier scheme is excellent for domestic flights.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by A Gilbert    (USA)

I recently travelled from LAX to LHR round-trip. The seats were uncomfortable for such long flights. The food was not good but the service was good. The planes seemed old for such a trendy airline, I would have expected more modern and up to date facilities. The in flight entertainment uses a wired controller which was very worn and awkward to get to. I felt like washing my hands every time I touched it.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by A Finister    (UK)

Went from Manchester to Orlando and back both premium economy. Bulkhead seats had TV's that came out of the seat only for them not to stay upright had to hold it to watch it, air con not working, it was hotter than Florida itself. Lost one of our cases. Staff clocked off a good hour before landing and just chatted between themselves ignoring all the passengers. Wrote a letter of complaint and got £40 in vouchers between three of us, would have preferred a nice flight.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 July 2014 by A Chinnery    (UK)

LGW-UVF, 25 May. UVF-LGW, 2/3 June. Arrived 3 hours and 45 mins before 10.00 departure. Bag drop was ok. Several free upper class check in agents and 1 occupied economy agent. We where told to drop of bags at upper class. A quite nice start. Boarding began 78 mins before departure. We where on GWAG an A330. LGW-UVF only. We left (airborne) at 09.54, 6 mins early. GWAG has no remotes. So IFE whilst good has got room for improvement on this aircraft. Meals where OK. Movie treat nice and drinks where served 3 times (improved over 2-3 years ago). We landed 30 mins early and beat the BA (777) and the AA (JFK757) so we got though immigration OK. On the way back a bit worse in some cases. Check in 2 hours 50 mins before flight. Quick and easy. We where late by 1 hour (not as bad as Orlando when we where delayed 1 hour in Tarmac). Boarding began 25 mins before we where airborne and we were off quickly. This aircraft GVGEM was operating VS90 from GND-UVF-LGW. GVGEM has got remotes and IFS was better. We landed 50mjns early and the arrival was uneventful. I didn't have meals as I ate at airport.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 July 2014 by J Try    (UK)

Took a Virgin flight from Hong Kong to London. Never again. Huge aircraft, jammed full to overflowing, economy seats very uncomfortable, the food was inedible, the restrooms filthy with no paper towels and no refills. The seating area, pull down tray etc unclean. Pre-flight, the customer service was very unhelpful with my questions about upgrading. The online check in was 'unavailable' for some reason. The most unpleasant flying experience of my life.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 July 2014 by King Paul    (UK)

We recently flew Heathrow to New York in June 2014 and booked Virgin. I know my wife and I chose economy, but the seats were small and cramped for a long flight. Just like Ryanair seats, we were constantly having the back of our seats kicked as people had no room to change positions. The controls for the entertainment were in the arm rest which as you were squashed in your seat were very difficult to reach. My wife is a size 8 and I'm 13 stone so were by no means obese! The TV screen reflected the light and wasn't easy to view and they served dinner instead of breakfast at around 8am which I couldn't stomach that early but was then hungry later. The food was poor even when I could face it on the way back. No choice, small meals and butter just covered one side of the roll. The plane and entertainment system, both ways felt old, the seating was cramped and uncomfortable, the food was not nice although the service was fine. I was excited to use Virgin before hand but Emirates far outshines them followed secondly by BA. Sorry but my first Virgin experience was a big disappointment and they are the most expensive and least impressive of the 3.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Nick White    (USA)

VS 19/20, June 20-27. First of all I think one has to determine whether the rating is absolute or compared to other airlines. They all have poor food, personally I think Virgin is better than most. They all have limited space. Virgin's cost of flying premium is much better than most others upgrade to Business. Premium isn't Business but its perfectly OK and to me the pricing of $1500 West Coast to London for Economy and $2500 or so for premium makes more sense that most airlines charging substantially more for Business.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Ronald Castille    (USA)

Orlando to Gatwick Airport London on May 28th, flight VSO28 returned to Orlando on June 23rd, flight VSO15. I did a lot of research on airlines to London, and even though I saw a lot of complaints on Virgin Atlantic, I decided to give them a try. Well, just as always you should try things for yourself before you judge, this was by far the best flight that we have been on. I have to say from the time we checked in to boarding it was like clockwork, once on the plane we were treated like First Class (flying economy with exit seat area) drinks, food and almost one on one service. I might say to that the crew was most impressive bunch we have seen, they worked at it for seven of the eight to nine hour flight. We will fly again no questions asked.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Reynolds Malcolm    (UK)

GLA to MCO. We flew from Glasgow to Orlando on one of the Virgin 747's. No issues at all at check in, the aircraft boarded on time. We has booked the extra legroom seats for our party and were delighted with the additional leg room. Inflight entertainment was great and kept our 7 year old entertained throughout. A little slow at passport control but overall a great flight.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Emma Curran    (UK)

When coming to book our honeymoon, I pushed for us to book Virgin Atlantic as I had fond memories of travelling with them as a child, unfortunately, my most recent experience has somewhat dashed this memory. I rarely write reviews and it is regrettable that I should have to write this one. Firstly, I would like to say however, that the airline crew were a delight, unfortunately the food they were serving was not. I appreciate I have gone straight to the food, however, when you are on a long haul flight this is a significant factor in your journey. We travelled with Virgin twice whilst on our honeymoon and both times the menu did not match what we were served - once is a mistake, twice is not goo enough. The 'starter' was bland and the 'main course' contained so much salt that I felt dehydrated after every bite. The snacks were far beyond creative. Whilst the entertainment was diverse, I felt for the chap sat in front of me due to the weight I had to put behind my film selection causing his head seat to bounce back and forth. I could continue down this road but I think it is important to reach an early conclusion - I was disappointed with this journey. The years have not been kind to Virgin Atlantic.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Helen Sadler    (UK)

Virgin Atlantic Little Red, MAN-LHR, 6th June. Flight was delayed due to a lot of traffic on the airfield at Manchester which had me and my mother panicking a bit. Once we boarded the crew could not be more accommodating. They assured everyone connecting at LHR that they had already called ahead and would hold flights for us, this was a huge relief as we had to catch another flight immediately. The cabin crew was lead by a very friendly steward who noticed immediately I was a nervous flyer and checked if I was alright as soon as he was allowed out of his seat, I have never had this happen on a flight before. The seats were very comfortable and roomy for the type of aircraft being used, an A320. The complimentary bacon roll was delicious and a very nice little touch to a domestic flight. This was our first experience of Virgin Atlantic and I would definitely recommend them.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Graham Chase    (UK)

Flew LHR to Chicago, 2/6 then back from LA to LHR 19/6. Flights booked with Virgin because of very impressive Atlantic flight some years ago from which I never stopped praising Virgin for their excellent service, I also paid extra to be able to fly Virgin this time, however that is now out of the window completely and they will be way down the list of recommends now. The outbound flight was not pleasant with a seat that was about on par with the general charter 2 hour holiday flights, probably the seat on the inbound did not seem so bad but still uncomfortable in comparison with what is generally available now days. There was generally a number of things that are not now acceptable eg main meal that was decidedly mediocre with rubbish box of claggy breakfast come tea, a menu on outbound that had no relation at all to what was served with just a brief apology, a cheap drinks regime of pouring from a large bottle but generally just substandard. The worst thing however was the entertainment screen, for me and many other travellers I suspect this is one of the most important items as I do not sleep on aircraft's so I look forward to relaxing and watching films etc throughout the flight and I was disgusted that the screens on both flights were so dark that in many of the screens all you could see was a few flashing lights, this was made worse when the person in front put the seat back and the screen could not be pulled out sufficiently to get the best view available, in fact on the outbound flight it not only would not pull out sufficiently but as soon as you let go it sprang back into the seat. The selection of films was also rubbish with not much choice except that didn't matter in end as they were impossible to follow and on the outbound the films all started at set times and could not be paused or re-started. In general I would say that Virgin have paired down their service to a minimum which is now not anything like acceptable I have flown in several carriers in the last year and found eg Emirates, Air New Zealand, BA etc vastly superior. Both were safe and on time flights which is the main requirement of course and that could not be bettered.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 June 2014 by D Jack    (UK)

09/05/2014, GLA-MCO-GLA, (24/05/2014) - Flew this route in Upper Class. Could not fault the service from start to finish. Staff were very attentive and anything which we asked for/requested on the flight was not a problem. The onboard bar was fantastic as usual! The B747 was almost full, as was the Upper cabin with all 14 seats being occupied. Even with the Upper cabin being full, we were made to feel that we were the only people being looked after (we know everyone was also) but it's the attention to detail with things like the service which make such a difference. Contrary to what others have posted, our aircraft was exceptionally clean and had a modern cabin. Already booked Upper for Grenada over new year!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 June 2014 by J Arnold    (UK)

During my flight I was very disappointed! I pre-ordered the food online (vegetarian option) but when it arrived it was cold pasta as a side snack and as a main meal it was hot pasta in tomato sauce. The menu gave to us was out of date and the air hostesses apologised for the wrong menu they gave out to us all. I know I am a vegetarian but it would be nice to have variation of food and not just pasta, pasta and more pasta. Vegetarians eat other foods as well. During flight V93 to Mexico they gave us no wash bag (with toothbrush and toothpaste). We had this on the return flight but not going. On the return flight V94 the vegetarian lasagne was disgusting, and the breakfast was just a hard cob roll with jam. We were given no butter or nice breakfast pastry as it said on the menu. Drink wise for the night flight there were no hot chocolate or nice crackers and cheese. I really feel the food has taken a turn for the worse and the food needs looking into especially the vegetarian options and breakfast meals.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 June 2014 by K Russell    (Canada)

I flew out of YVR to LHR two weeks ago. Being a nervous flyer, I always hate flying and reading the recent reviews I was even more nervous to fly with Virgin! At the check-in desk however, my worries began to be lessened. One of the Virgin Flight check-in staff listened as I told him I was nervous about flying and helped find my children and I a seat in the bulkhead. At the gate, the staff allowed "people who need a little more time to board" on first and we settled easily into VS96, on that night a really modern looking plane. Couldn't fault it - it looked clean and colourful. The flight itself was smooth and even though the air stewards were not perhaps as proactive as on British Airways, when I asked for help with getting a drink for the kids or something along those lines, they helped straight away and without complaint. The only less than stellar thing was the kids' meal - which looked like the adult version of a meal, but it was a late flight and the kids had already eaten, so I didn't care too much about that and neither did they. No kids flight pack either - but to be honest, that didn't bother me either - less junk to carry around post flight. When the plane landed 9 hours later at LHR my son had an epic meltdown. One of the Virgin Angels came out and asked if I needed a hand with my bags (I had one child under each arm and was kicking my bag along with my foot): I gladly took her up on her offer and she accompanied us all the way to customs, bless her, chatting all of the way. My experience with Virgin was absolutely terrific this time. Would definitely fly them again!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 June 2014 by Kolesnikov Alexander    (UK)

I had two different impressions of two flights with VA. The first flight was from London Heathrow to Los Angeles, Premium Economy, and it was great even though the seat I had wasn't the most convenient, in term of its location. I didn't sleep and for the whole flight stewards were always there, asking if I need something else, offering drinks, snacks, ice creams. The second flight was back home, from Los Angeles to London Heathrow, Premium Economy, and that was a totally different story. It all started from the delayed main meal. In the Economy, they were already finishing their meal but ours wasn't even served. Then the meal was served, eaten, and we had our dirty dishes in front of us for like an eternity. Nobody seemed to care about collecting the dishes, the stewards seemed to be hectically busy with something behind the closed curtains - but with what? At some point, a lady in front of me decided to recline her chair, and doing that she squeezed my dirty dishes, so I had to call the stewards and request to remove them. Then we were waiting for a coffee - for more than an hour. I reminded about a coffee a couple of times, but again the stewards were just too busy with something, not related to serving the passengers. Then there was another lengthy period, more than an hour, of waiting for liquors. The light was already switched off and most passengers were asleep when at last some brandy was offered. And then the Premium Economy stewards simply disappeared and didn't show up until closer to the end of the flight. Nobody was offering drinks, nobody was asking if passengers need anything, there was simply no service in Premium Economy. On the way back from the toilet I met Economy stewards who were serving drinks, they offered a drink to me. Were Premium Economy stewards on strike, or something? I have no idea. My rates below will reflect my experience of the return flight. I will fly with VA again in July, to San Francisco, Premium Economy, and I hope I will never meet again the team that I was unlucky to meet on my return from Los Angeles.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 June 2014 by B Phillips    (UK)

Flew recently Gatwick-Grenada-Gatwick. Flew out Premium, returned Upper Class. Excellent flights, excellent service, every thing on time. V-Room at Gatwick excellent value. New lounge at Grenada very comfortable and plenty of attention from staff. We will be going back to Grenada and definitely flying VA. Looking through other reviews it would seem that most of the criticism centres around VA Heathrow/Manchester Long haul flights. We have regularly flown VA out of Gatwick and have never been dissatisfied. VA please note.

| Home | Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking | Airport Ranking| Advertise | Surveys| Site Map| Contact Us | Links |