Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

Virgin Atlantic Airways
2.5 Star Rating: Average

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  20 April 2014 by T Lester (USA)

LHR to JFK, VS9 as return leg of review of April 4th. Completely different experience, an excellent flight. Sat in nose section of 747, very comfortable and spacious - this older seat version is far more sensible and comfortable than the new one I disliked so much in my previous review. FA's and service were excellent, the food was very good - not something often heard here, but it was great on this flight. I do hope that the airlines read these reviews and take note, the seat is the all important thing to the client, the old one works and the new one does not in it's current form - it looks cool but needs to be stretched out and given more shoulder space, and armrest please!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  20 April 2014 by H Stevens (UK)

Flew out of LHR to Newark day flight Sun 6th April. Used the Clubhouse - good but not easy to find 5 seats all together for our family group. Good service and very quick through Heathrow! Nice flight with great staff in Upper Class. Teenagers loved the films etc. Way back was a different story on 19.30 flight on Thurs 10th Apr. Still very good in the Clubhouse at Newark (advised us to order food early if we wanted a meal, which we did as travelling overnight so wanted to eat early then sleep on plane). Staff on plane not as helpful as outbound. We arrived to find our overhead lockers full of other passengers' stuff - not much help from staff to get this sorted and our 5 lots of hand luggage stowed. Main complaint is that FA would not give me any breakfast despite filling in form night before and despite asking her to be woken up. Even though this was an hour before landing, apparently 'Supervisor' had said no more food to be served. Supervisor then turned up with one croissant! I stupidly paid full price for that seat, (as needed the flexibility for business) but felt completely let down by the service on that flight. Virgin - your staff are letting you down! Back to BA for us if you can't even give us breakfast sorry.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  20 April 2014 by C Mike (UK)

Flew 7/4/14 returned 17/4/14, LGW-LAS-LGW. A party of 7, (5 adults 1 child 1 infant) flew and managed to get economy seats in the upper deck. What an experience. To sum the experience up, when I'm flying Virgin again I am reserving upper deck immediately. From flying this route before the upper deck appeared to have more leg room which was an added bonus. You feel like your on your own private jet with limited number of persons upstairs. The staff have. Personal touch with you and cannot help you enough. Because of the shape of the aircraft, you also have a side storage area under the window which was an added bonus, with enough room for an infant to stand and play with his toys on the storage. On the flight back the infant had a touch of a cold and was sick whilst inflight. The staff without being asked was bringing water, wet tissues, refreshing tissues and bags to clean up, even offered to find us a new seat whilst they cleaned the area. Cannot praise and rate Virgin Atlantic enough.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  16 April 2014 by K Whyte (New Zealand)

Travelling with two children (4 years, 3 months) long haul is always difficult but I consider Virgin Atlantic the best airline we have flown with. The staff are excellent, the baby seat very safe (although not completely flat so sleeping for a long time is not always that easy) and the planes great. The check-in and customer service is literally second to none. When I phoned before our flight (Edinburgh, London, Shanghai, Auckland) I was greeted by a staff member who answered all our questions and reserved us the bassinet etc. Our first flight with them but hopefully not our last!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Baz Moussa (Belgium)

A346, LHR-LAX on 3/29/2014, LAX-LHR on 4/10/2014. Seats are quite uncomfortable in economy but they certainly aren't the worst. I mean, come on people, it is economy. If you don't expect much of your economy flight, like I did, you'd be a happy person at the end of your journey. The IFE is great and should be able to entertain you during the +10h flight. They should work on the meals they offer: the size is way to small and the bread they offer is still frozen (happened on both flights). We've had plenty of drinks during the flight (including alcohol) and they even gave us some ice cream to consume while we were watching our movies. I would certainly recommend Virgin if it is the cheapest option!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 April 2014 by Hancock Peter (UK)

LHR-PVG, 1st April 2014. My first time with Virgin Atlantic and, hopefully, my last. Check in at LHR was excellent but then everything about the flight went downhill. Aircraft seating was tatty and very uncomfortable. Food was by far the worst I've ever experienced - the choice was limited as most options on the menu were not available and the portion size would not have satisfied a young child. Inflight entertainment package was also disappointing compared with others I have experienced eg Emirates and Cathay. Cabin crew were generally helpful and attentive but didn't meet my expectations in terms of presentation and appearance.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Brandon Cook (UK)

Flew on B747-400, MAN-MCO-MAN with my 4 children, very fast check in at Manchester, we booked with Virgin holidays and paid to use their V-room lounge. The food is fantastic, newspapers, sky news, XBOX kinect room, children's play area, laptops, table football, bar, friendly staff and Virgin reps who can book tickets for attractions and check you in for you car hire to avoid the queue in Orlando. When we boarded the aircraft the children received a fun bag containing games and colouring book. Seats were comfortable, Vera touch (entertainment system) is fantastic, with a dedicated kids area, it has all the latest films updated every month, the system is available after pushback until you arrive at the gate in Orlando. The cabin crew are attentive, friendly and enjoyed talking to all the kids. The food is nothing special, but there is a good selection. Unlike its rivals Virgin offer complementary alcoholic drinks in economy, although they do not provide champagne or sparkling wine. After lunch the crew give you a GU dessert followed by a fab lolly later on in the flight. Virgin fly into Orlando international airport unlike rival carriers who fly to the smaller Sanford airport. On the return we sat in the upper deck which offers a side storage area, the crew provide a 'feel good kit' which includes an eye mask, socks, pen, toothbrush, toothpaste and earplugs. Once again the crew were very pleasant and handed out sweets after take off. For breakfast you receive a muffin, nature valley bar, orange juice and a cup of tea or coffee. On disembarking our baggage was waiting for us in less than 15 minutes.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Hannah Shad (Sweden)

LHR-LAX on 9/6/2013. Check in was slow and at last we missed the plane due to the slow staff that weren't helpful at all, got rebooked on VS7 the next day. The plane itself seemed old and nothing matched with Virgins advertisement on their site. Food was as bad as the staff, and the breakfast was a joke. I remember getting frozen orange juice and some granola bar that tasted awful. About 5 hours into the flight I got up to walk around because of fact that my legs were falling asleep thanks to the non-existent legroom, found over 10 staff members sitting around the bar chatting and when I asked for some coke they refused because they said that the bar was only available for upper class. The flight back was even worse, apparently there had been some problems with the air conditioning which made the plane very hot. My family and I usually fly this route with Lufthansa but since virgin seemed so much more ahead in service we thought we'd choose them, but those two flights resulted in my first and last Virgin flights, and I do not recommend them to anyone, id rather pay a few hundred dollars more.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Paulene Brown (UK)

I flew from Cape Town last Saturday, 29th March to LHR. My flight was good and staff great but the food and drink served during the flight was awful.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Weldon Samantha (UK)

Very underwhelmed by our Virgin Upper Class journey to and from Jamaica. On the way out just put it down to having being spoilt by our previous experiences on Emirates/Singapore and Thai, business class, but on our return journey it just confirmed our thoughts that Virgin don't offer a value for money 1st class service and that we will try to use other carriers before re booking with them in the future. I gave them my feedback and wasn't at all pleased with their response.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 April 2014 by N Tarring (UK)

Just travelled both ways to Sydney from London, in economy class. I was very disappointed in the seating its rubbish, well worn out, and the space between the rows appear very short. Very unhappy and will not use this airline again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 April 2014 by Tim Lester (USA)

A330, JFK-LHR, Upper Class. Virgins new Dream Suite. Check in at JFK very smooth, Lounge is excellent - probably the best at JFK - great service and excellent food - a very good start! Boarding on time and easy, A330 with new configuration, clean and quite striking at first, the bar is groovy and the cabin also. Service was discreet and casual which I liked, food just OK but the cooked breakfast was quite good - nice china and glassware - very good and attentive FA's. Excellent entertainment system. The seat: The Dream Suite is a nightmare, an absolute disaster! A classic case of style over substance. The new seat is incredibly cramped, I am 6ft and weigh 175lbs - I had to squeeze myself into this horrible seat! The are two positions - somewhat reclined and flat, no leg-rest - nothing in between - this was a daytime flight, I wanted to lie back and relax but not sleep - hugely uncomfortable. There is one very small flip out plastic arm rest on one side - nothing on the other - whoever heard of a business class seat without an armrest - ridiculous. There is zero storage space and Virgin has got rid of the overhead bins in the center of the plane - there were about 15 people in upper class - it seats 32 I think - we were fighting over bin space and I only bring one small hand bag - again ridiculous Virgin, cannot imagine what it would be like if full. Frills are nice, champagne glasses are nice but the reason people buy business/upper class seats is for space and comfort - these new suites offer neither - they have to be the very worst of the new generation flat bed seats. Premium economy seats are wider and have two armrests - how novel! One got the impression that the FA's are fully aware that this is an awful product. I have changed my return flight to the 747 with the old seats- never again!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Banwait Tony (USA)

SFO-LHR-SFO in March 2014 in Premium Economy. Fourth trip on Virgin Atlantic in 2 years and third time in Premium Economy. Used the Miles Plus money booking feature for Flying Club members. Excellent value for money and very impressed with on-board service. Extra cost is worth the larger seat and better recline. Good meal service both ways and decent food portion sizes. A little stingy with the drink service. Older 747s showing signs of age and outdated IFE needs upgrading soon. VS is now my preferred carrier across the pond. Love the dedicated check-in and early boarding privilege.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Shaun Fortes (UK)

Manchester to Orlando, out January back March. My biggest gripe is the seats are very uncomfortable and the food was awful. I would much prefer a good sandwich than the dried up hot meal that is offered. The cabin crew on both flights were very good and the entertainment system is excellent.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  31 March 2014 by J Boer (Netherlands)

A Virgin Atlantic Upper Class fare apparently does not allow you to use fast-track lanes at Heathrow. Virgin Atlantic offers the best pre-flight and post-flight service in the business; excellent food, attentive staff, both in the Heathrow Clubhouse as well as their Boston Logan lounge and the Revivals Lounge at Heathrow. Cabin staff are very attentive too, although a bit slow. On-board food is mediocre; eat on the ground if you have the time. The problem are Virgin's Upper Class seats. I'm slender and not too tall, and even I had a very hard time being comfortable in them. Due to the poor seats, I'm not likely to fly VA again, which is a pity given their excellent service.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  31 March 2014 by O Banderas (Netherlands)

Was UpperClass Gold Card 10 years ago. New seats, food, service, ambience, handling are a huge step backwards to basically an average Premium Economy service. Delta is Vastly superior in all respects! Seats face away from window, narrow, rushed service. Very expensive tickets. Virgins only superiority will be the Lounges - even these are overcrowded nowadays. Economy is a very bad joke, Online Check-in pointless. Plenty of slogans and packaging, zero content/value for money. Unstable unreliable entertainment.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 March 2014 by S Johnson (UK)

Mar 2014, St Lucia-Gatwick. Another very good flight with Virgin. Cabin service was very good. As this was an overnight flight we had dinner and then slept for the remainder of the flight. Although the crew advised the new suite is the same size it didn't feel as long as the previous version. The actual mattress comfort though was superior and I was about to get several hours of sleep. The full English breakfast served could have been warmer apart from that it was all good.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 March 2014 by S Johnso (UK)

Feb 2014, Gatwick-St Lucia. My partner and I use Virgin where possible for out long haul flights, normally in Upper Class. This flight was probably one of the best we have had with Virgin. The Clubhouse at Gatwick is somewhat smaller than Heathrow but it is more than adequate and offer all of the facilities one would expect. St Lucia is now served by the new A330, a very nice aircraft but the Upper Class cabin is now 3 times the size of the 747 and has lost its spacious feel. The new suites are ok but they do feel cramped and squashed together when compared to those on the 747. The crew did advise that they were the same size, maybe so but at 6ft I used to be able to stretch my legs out fully using the foot stool but I was unable to do this with the new suite. Not a huge problem as it was comfortable but that does seem a small backward step when compared to other business class. The cabin service was excellent, choice of wines good and entertainment fare more than can be enjoyed during a 9 hour flight.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  27 March 2014 by C Grech (Malta)

VS200, LHR to HKG nothing to complain about. Cabin staff very helpful and food was really good. Free drinks including alcohol during the flight. HKG to SYD. Crew were really professional, good announcements and very helpful.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  27 March 2014 by M Rushent (UK)

Flew Virgin premier plus from Heathrow to Miami, 23/03/14 and really not looking forward to the flight home. Its not a bad service, its just not as good as you would be lead to believe and all other premier plus services I have flown on are better. Western airlines are so far behind middle east and far east versions where you are comfortable and made to feel welcome. Next time on the trip I will fly BA or go indirect to use another European carrier. My inflight entertainment was not even viewable, although I was given a DVD player.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  27 March 2014 by D Houghton (UK)

Flew with Virgin to Las Vegas. Only good thing I can comment on is the In-Flight Entertainment system - other than that both flights were awful. On the outbound flight we received just two drinks each before the "complimentary bar" was declared closed just a few hours into our ten hour flight. The cabin crew were more interested in discussing what they were going to do in Las Vegas rather than provide any form of customer service and the food was an absolute joke, my partner ordered beef stew and received something with three 1.5cm cubes of what I guess was beef and my chicken curry was inedible. The icing on the cake occurred on our return to LGW when we discovered that one of our bags had not been loaded. We did try to complain on numerous occasions and rather than attempt to address any of our issues the cabin crew / Virgin staff simply handed me a piece of paper titled "Any Concerns?" - by the end of our holiday we had collected three of these. To date Virgin have not responded to any of our complaints about the poor service, quality of food or delayed baggage.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  25 March 2014 by R Stewart (UK)

Just back from Mexico, with journey from London Gatwick being very good with great crew and good meals offered. Return journey was not as good. We were not offered a drink before they started to serve dinner with wine and soft drinks. Would have been nice to have had a spirit before meal. We were half way down the cabin but they ran out of one of the choices when they got to us. Breakfast was tasteless and unappetising, with better served to us last time we travelled with Virgin in economy class. Would also like to have been offered a facecloth to relax you after sleep. Seats were very comfy with lots of room and very good entertainment with lots of first class films.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  22 March 2014 by L Gainsford (UK)

LGW - Barbados, 16th March. Check in and boarding at Gatwick fantastic with no crowds. Seat comfort and legroom fantastic in an extra legroom seat for only 20 on airbus A330. Inflight service very good from an enthusiastic young crew, bar service available for the whole flight with no problems, food more than acceptable for economy class. All in all a very good experience from start to finish, would recommend.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 March 2014 by A Beswick (UK)

LGW-BGI return (747 + A330) in Economy. Both trips were very good indeed. Staff were really in to their jobs, friendly, helpful, attentive. Entertainment, food and seats a lot better than the competition. Took extra legroom seats on return and well worth 20 pp supplement.

| Home | Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking | Airport Ranking| Advertise | Surveys| Site Map| Contact Us | Links |

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax