Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

a World 4-Star Airline

Virgin Atlantic Airways
2.5 Star Rating: Average
2097 reviews

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  23 May 2015 by P Arnold    (UK)

VS9, LHR to JFK, 15/9/15. This was my first experience of flying with Virgin Atlantic, and I have to say I was very impressed. Every staff member I encountered, from check-in through to arrival, were incredibly friendly, helpful and professional. A special mention to two Virgin Atlantic employees at JFK, who got me through Passport control and customs reasonably swiftly, as I had an hour and a half to catch my next flight to Toronto. I'm looking forward to my flight home.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  21 May 2015 by S Hume    (USA)

I flew from Washington DC to London and was so shocked at how narrow and restrictive the seats on the Airbus 330 were, absolutely horrible. I felt squashed and could hardly move. I paid around $1200 for this flight and must say that although I've been traveling this route for decades, this is by far the worst and most uncomfortable. Even in so-called 'cattle class' it was an all time low. I am so disappointed in VA, I remember them being forerunners when they first started with the video in every seat and I used to love to fly, back then mostly out of Gatwick to the States. This is the first time in a while I've been on VA, since I've been traveling a lot on Lufthansa to Germany. It is too bad that this 4 seats in Economy to 3 seats in Premium Economy seem to be all about the profit margin. I think I would do without the headset and toothbrush, if I could have had another couple of inches in width on my seat. I am 5ft 3 and not fat. Such a disappointment.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 May 2015 by I Stolworthy    (UK)

We were booked to fly on 18/04/15 however we were delayed over 24 hours and found the Virgin staff at Gatwick unhelpful and extremely rude. It would appear that this route is often delayed and it is apparently the norm. If you wish to go to Las Vegas go with British Airways or another airline that is more reliable.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 May 2015 by C McGee    (UK)

Flew Atlanta to Manchester last week and although the cabin crew were friendly, and the food was reasonable, I was really disappointed with the flight. We flew out with KLM who were much better. Leg room on VA was much more limited, the seats were rock solid which made for rather a numb backside throughout the 8 hour flight. The IFE was quite good, but it was touch screen meaning it was almost impossible to make a selection because the screen was out of sync with the touch. The aircraft was clean and staff were friendly so overall not an awful experience but there is much better available along the same price point as VA.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 May 2015 by C Gee    (UK)

LGW-HAV return. Bad from the start, flight was shown as Gate Closed 10 minutes earlier than first advised, I had issues at security and when I finally got to the gate, way after it was supposed to have closed, it was actually still open and no-one had been boarded at all. On the outbound trip, we had good customer service with a friendly cabin crew. I found the seats a bit hard and also basic inclusions with other (airlines) economy cabins missing (but noticed you get them in premium economy for some more cash) - eg folding foot rest and movable headrests (it moved horizontally but the wings didn't adjust vertically). I always eat vegetarian on long haul, usually you're served first. VA offered me a standard meal, didn't seem to realised I'd book vegetarian. I had the misfortune to point it out to them and then was served with the most abysmal substitute for a meal, with strong flavours of olives and capers that not everyone, vegetarian or not, is going to like. Thankfully I'm not veg so I asked for a standard meal, staff were very good in trying to located something but only came up the veg option on the regular menu which was of equally abysmal quality and taste. What was worse, 10 days later, I got the exact same meal on the flight home. When I asked for something else this time the staff were disinterested and bordered on rude. Worst food I've had when flying. Wine was quite nice though. Inflight entertainment same standard but the touch screen takes some mastering (its not sensitive unless done in a certain way) and it's not a good idea to have to thump your screen when someone else's head is behind it, most likely trying to sleep. Rack for brochures and personal items was either broken or just didn't close at the sides so any small items put in it just fell out, not very secure. Flights themselves were smooth so hats off to the pilots, they kept us informed through a long period of turbulence. Check in fine at both ends. Got a comfort pack for the night flight, socks we're the thinnest I've ever been given. Because of when I booked didn't have to pay to choose my seats but would put me off (besides the experience) using them next time, why should I pay on top of the huge fare for me seat too, this should be standard with major airline long haul flights.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  17 May 2015 by N Davis    (UK)

VS027, 21/4/15. VS016, 5/5/15. I've flown Virgin a number of times since 1988. I have never really rated them and would never have paid more to fly with them. We flew to Orlando 3 weeks ago with Virgin as they were the cheapest when we booked. I had no expectations, but I must say they have improved immensely since we flew with them 3 years ago. The aircraft was roomy, comfy and clean. The crew were very friendly and the service was excellent. Food was very quick, drinks offered numerous times and rubbish collected very promptly. I just hope they keep it up as I'd definitely choose to fly with them again and recommend them to friends and family.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 May 2015 by Heather Rogers    (UK)

We flew on flights 063 and 064 to Havana Cuba. Leaving on April 20th and returning 4th May. Priority boarding in both directions and baggage pickup very fast due to being Premier Economy passengers. Cabin crew on both flights were excellent and always available to answer questions. All meals were presented well on china plates, real glasses, proper cutlery which was a nice touch. Both hubby and myself enjoyed the meals, tasty and filling. We have another trip booked n October and look forward to the same service. In our opinion it is worth paying the extra for the upgrade.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 May 2015 by S McAlpine    (UK)

Glasgow - Orlando in April 2015, with return flight early May. I chose to write this review because so many I have read have suggested a horrible experience. That was not the case for my family and I, albeit our flights were only half full both ways, which I'm sure helped the experience. First things first though: the cons. After booking our tickets and waiting for seat reservations to open up we found out that to reserve a seat cost money (£25-£35, with the higher cost for extra legroom or an exit row). This seemed scandalous to us, especially on a transatlantic flight. However, we chose to reserve an exit row at a cost of £210 in total for 3 of us to have the same seats there and back. The only thing I'd say about this is forearmed is forewarned, we had not appreciated that was the case when we booked. Would it effect our decision in the future? Probably not, because we wanted to fly direct to Orlando rather than via London (or another UK airport). You can of course wait until 24 hours before you fly, but then you are a hostage to fortune in terms of where you might be. We chose seats on the upper deck and this is something I would recommend. It's smaller, therefore quieter, and there are two bathrooms for a cabin that houses no more than 60, so it's easier to access too. I can't fault the staff, who were attentive throughout. Food was ok - this is economy - and we got drinks as often as we wanted (which wasn't a great deal, but it was never any trouble to staff to accommodate our needs). The in-flight entertainment system was very good, with plenty of movies to keep me entertained for an 8-hour flight. All in all I would fly Virgin again based on this experience, but it would be in the knowledge that to get a seat I wanted - I much prefer an aisle seat on a long flight - the 'true' cost would be £50-£70 more expensive than the original purchase price and that is something I would take into account when looking at other airlines.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 May 2015 by Edward Smyth    (UK)

Flight DXB-LHR return on A330-300 upper class product. Good experience all round. Friendly FA's and coped well with the demands of my 5 year old son. Reasonable sleeping position when seats fully reclined. As previous reviewers have commented the seating does not lend itself well to flying with companions. You can dine together though the ottoman seat is quite narrow! We enjoyed our trip and would fly Virgin again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  12 May 2015 by F Byrne    (UK)

LHR to DUX return. Very full overnight flight going, daytime return. Both legs much better than expected. The cabin staff were well turned out, cheerful, helpful and efficient. Food very good for economy and even though I was at the back of the plane all choices were still available. Wide range of entertainment. Would happily fly with this carrier again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 May 2015 by C Gee    (UK)

LGW-MCO return. Horrible trip both ways, uncomfortable seats and when person in front reclines not much better than economy. Food just horrible. Return flight delayed 3 hours, food awful, one mouthful was enough. Orlando airport a nightmare as the geniuses at BA and Virgin have all flights arriving together. 3 hours to get through immigration is not acceptable after a 9 hour flight. Although travelling outside of school holidays deliberately, flight full of badly behaved noisy children, horrible experience, never again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  6 May 2015 by O Ismail    (UK)

25th April 2015, VS43 (3 hour delay) back on 1st May 2015, VS44. I have flow Premium Economy Virgin Atlantic to Las Vegas for the past 10 years - this was the worst experience. Going out was delayed 3 hours - the seating was poor, I am 6 foot tall and honestly my knees were in my mouth - shockingly poor leg room - transporting animals this way would be illegal. Coming back the lady in front decided to lean back 10 mins into the flight which is her option but is meant my screen was no more than 12" from my face - getting out (I was in a bank of 4 - middle not aisle - colleague was aisle) was a nightmare. Sleeping? Forget it - this is my first and last virgin review - never again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 May 2015 by Rich Sperduto    (USA)

My wife and I took Virgin Atlantic from JFK-LHR last September. We flew business class on an A330-600. While the service was ok, the seating configuration wasn't, the herringbone layout does not accommodate 2 people traveling together. If I fly on Virgin again it won't be on the Airbus.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 April 2015 by Kevin Tunnicliffe    (UK)

We flew out with Delta and that experience was excellent. The return from ATL to LHR with Virgin was much, much less so. The new Upper Class seat is much narrower than the old one and it is therefore difficult to get a decent sleeping position other than on your side with your back to the curve of the seat. Main meal was mediocre and would only have merited 1* but the score was raised by the breakfast, which was first class. Cabin crew were cheerful and attentive throughout the flight. Surprised though that the bar was closed all through the flight. Toilets on the A330 were few in number (one dedicated and two shared with Premium Economy) and because there is no centre luggage bin the scrabble for overhead bin space on this full flight was ridiculous. IFE not available until after take off and offering was mediocre compared with airlines like Emirates.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 April 2015 by Timothy Murray    (UK)

We (3 of us) flew from LHR to Johannesburg on VS601, 10th April, 11 hour flight and the seats were one of the worst I have sat in. The space was at best cattle class. The rack in front that holds the safety booklet was poking out and was constantly sticking in my knees. I remember speaking to the stewardess asking if something could be done and she just said there all like it and the plane is full unless you want to pay for an upgrade - how I wish I had. The worst long distance seating in the world. Never again will I fly Virgin Atlantic. On the return journey today we decided to upgrade VS604 cost me £800+ for the 3 of us only to get what I consider a reasonable seat. I wouldn't have minded if there were even some sort of apology, but at the desks no one was really interested, the stewardess offered a meal from economy class.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 April 2015 by Alan Pratt    (UK)

VS021, VS022, LHR-IAD-LHR. A330-300. Good flights on newish aircraft. FAs were attentive and friendly. Food was better than usual but hot breakfast on return flight did not meet expectations. Check in at LHR and IAD both swift and efficient. Seating good until recline used in front of us then very difficult to leave seat. Should recline seats be banned? FE had a good selection of new and older movies.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  20 April 2015 by T L Kirby    (UK)

We travelled to San Francisco from London Heathrow (return). The departing flight was not too bad. We had friendly and helpful stewards, with the exception of one who lacked in customer service. It was apparent that she either 1) did not like her line of work or 2) did not like the 'economy class' shift. She was impolite, no smiling or thank you, just a sour look on her face. During our return flight, the cabin crew were abrupt and unfriendly, not a smile between them. We was spoken to in an unprofessional manner. When it came to serving supper, we was informed that there was not enough of the vegetarian option and that being seated to the rear of the cabin, we was at a disadvantage. We had booked our Virgin holiday several months earlier, therefore, it was disappointing to hear this. We have previously travelled with Virgin and the experience was fine but this experience was not. We felt that the staff lacked customer service.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  17 April 2015 by J Frederick    (USA)

Flew business from London Gatwick to Barbados for our semi-annual trip to the luxury Crane Resort. This was our second time flying Virgin, and experienced no major issues. There were some minor delays before takeoff but that is to be expected. The food on the flight was no better and no worse than previous airline food that we've experienced, although after being spoiled for a week at the Crane resort the food seemed a little bland. Inflight entertainment was great, with a decent selection of up to date movies, although we usually just sleep the whole way.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 April 2015 by Boyle Ed    (UK)

All in all the Virgin flight was okay for an economy class fare but we paid extra for the seat which had 3 inches extra leg room and was supposed to be superior in other ways. It was fine in terms of leg room, however, the seat was so hard that the bones/muscles in my butt still hurt 3 days later! It was so uncomfortable and the flight was circa 9 hours. It was from Gatwick - St Lucia - Gatwick and the seat was 52 window and aisle. Both trips were agony. I am fairly fit as I run quite a lot and my wife rides her horse every day so we are both fit and would regard ourselves as not having any special needs in terms of seating. I will never fly in an airbus 320 again with Virgin. We have flown several times on their 747's and they were comfortable in all respects.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 April 2015 by J Goldstein    (USA)

This was a 6 hour trip from San Francisco, CA to Newark, NJ with no entertainment because the inflight entertainment system did not work at my seat. I asked 2 different flight attendants to restart the unit but they each gave up in one second leaving me with nothing to do or watch for this long trip. The girl sitting in front of me reclined her seat so violently that she knocked the lunch that I had paid for in the airport off the tray and into my lap and the floor. When I demanded that she sit up so I could at least pick it up and dispose of it, she complained to the flight attendant that I was keeping her from reclining her seat. I could not order something else to eat because you need the in flight entertainment system to see what is available and order it. Apparently now that there is the in-flight entertainment unit there is no back up in case it doesn't work for some reason.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 April 2015 by K Yau    (UK)

It seems that Virgin Atlantic have now decided to 'charge' if you want to choose a seat (unless 24 hours before check in)! I have flown with Virgin Atlantic for many years and as soon as I have booked my flight, I can pre- assign myself a seat (not extra legroom, which I understand would be reasonable to charge for), but I flew with them last month to Barbados and if I wanted to choose a seat, they were charging me £25 each way. This is something I would expect from a budget airline. I think I will start using other airlines (such as Emirates), even if it means I have to change and add on extra hours to my overall flight time. Really disappointed that they have decided to do this as I was just starting to use them for all my travel.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 April 2015 by Shailes Sarah    (UK)

London Gatwick to Havana and return. Outward flight delayed two and half hours, but as a single nervous flier, I was very well looked after in the clubhouse. From boarding to arrival in Havana was very well looked after. Cabin stewards were so friendly and thoughtful. Nothing was too much trouble. Very good lunch, then a lovely afternoon tea before landing on the outward flight. The return flight was equally good. Have recently flown in BA business, there is no comparison. I will certainly fly Virgin again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  5 April 2015 by J Knowles    (UK)

I recently flew Virgin Atlantic for the first time from London Heathrow to Johannesburg (12 hr flight). There was virtually no leg room at all. Jet2 charter flights have more leg room for much shorter journeys. The food was awful. Could not eat any of it. Had to buy something in Johannesburg airport for the return journey. The staff overall were friendly and pleasant except for one air hostess who was very sharp and not helpful. Would not recommend this airline based on this journey. Have flown with Emirates who were much better.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 April 2015 by E Stuehler    (Germany)

Flew Zurich-Heathrow-Boston on Feb 28, worst flight of my life. Missed my connecting flight in Heathrow because Virgin Atlantic Staff at Check in were unhelpful and unable to perform a simple job - the women there did not know how to print boarding pass, making it impossible for me to catch the flight. Had to wait 9 hours for next flight, and did not get any vouchers for lunch or similar, instead I was spoken to in a very unfriendly and condescending manner. They also were unable to check my bag through although I showed them the baggage-tracking-number twice (it was checked in in Zurich), and I had to wait for 6 days until it was delivered to me in Boston. Will never fly with that airline again, and am already dreading the flight back. Might be alright to fly with them if everything goes smoothly, but god help you if you need their so-called customer service.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 March 2015 by Tait Steve    (USA)

Flew Business from London to Boston. Virgin ClubHouse in LHR is awesome. What a way to start a trip. The flight was on a new 787-9 which is a beautiful aircraft. The inflight crew were superb. Excellent food and drinks and very good IFE but monitors not that large. Not wild about the seat configuration. I was traveling with my husband and no way for two passengers to sit together. The seat itself was odd to say the least. Very narrow and the seat doesn't recline very much or offer any personal storage space. You then have to get up to have the seat convert to a bed. It was comfortable as a bed. We had flown over to Europe on Delta and the Business seat on the A330 was vastly superior to the Virgin seat.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 March 2015 by A Bez    (UK)

VS603/4 10-22nd March. LHR-CPT return, A346, Economy. Fantastic flights, have flown with Virgin several times in the past year and their onboard product is very consistent, unlike BA. Also the staff are all really friendly and work hard, again unlike BA. Food was plentiful and a good choice. Movie and TV choice was fantastic.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 March 2015 by Purvey Nigel    (UK)

Gatwick to St Lucia return. This was our first time on the A330 in what I think they call Upper Class 2. Definitely not as comfortable as the Upper Class seats on the 747 and A340-600 aircraft. There seemed to be numerous faults with the seats not converting into beds and VV without manual assistance. Virgin need to improve their Upper Class seats considering those offered by their competitors. They might get away with it across the Atlantic but not travelling East. Food and drink was good and also good service.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 March 2015 by Richard Wood    (UK)

Flew LHR-Cape Town-LHR last month. First the good(ish) news. The LHR lounge was comfortable, but rather crowded (despite which the upper level was closed). Food and drink good, but if they insist on making everything waiter service they could with more staff. (The Cape Town lounge, which is not Virgin's own, was however a dismal experience). On board, the crew were fine. Food average to good, apart from an inedible first course (some sort of chicken mousse) to dinner on the return flight, and wines were excellent. Now the bad news: the seating. (1) It was very narrow, with no room for an armrest on one side. (2) Converting from seat to bed is not done electronically as in all other business class seats I've ever flown on. The operation requires the passenger to get out of the seat (which cannot of course be done with seat belt signs on) so the back of the seat can be folded forward to make the "mattress". This cumbersome procedure is a real nuisance, especially if (as often happens on long-haul flights) you wish to go from seat to bed and back again more than once. (3) The "window" seats give only the most restricted view out of the windows. In fact alternative rows of seats have no window at all (what's more, the on-line seating plan doesn't show the position of windows to enable you to choose a seat with a view). The other rows have a window, but the seats are so angled (presumably to save space) that you have to look back over your should to get a glimpse of the outside. In all, this seating design should never have got off the drawing board, and is certainly not worth paying a full business class fare for. Never again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 March 2015 by S Johnson    (UK)

Flew with VS in Upper Class to and from St Lucia during Feb/Mar 15. Both flights were ok and we shall continue to use VS. The food, inflight entertainment, bar etc are not important to us, our priorities are lounge access, frequent flyer miles and onboard space which we are happy to pay a premium for. However, we did feel that the Upper Class suite on their A330 aircraft is now smaller in width and length and the aisles are very narrow when compared to the 747 that used to operate to and from St Lucia. Also, the manual operation of the seat conversion to the bed appears to be a step backwards. On a positive note though the crisp white duvet and pillow is very welcome!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  17 March 2015 by M Rogers    (UK)

Flew from LHR to SFO in PE, not impressed food not as good as either BA or Air NZ both of which we have travelled recently. Found seat uncomfortable especially when the person in front fully reclines their seat, you need to be a contortionist to get out from the window seat. The worst thing from my point of view was that there was no Audio music available due to problems with performing rights issues, as some one who always listen to music on a flight I found this disgusting that this had not been sorted out. Virgin could at least given passengers the use of MP3 players or similar, turned out being a very boring flight. Would not fly Virgin again unless no one else available.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  17 March 2015 by P Reece    (UK)

We flew LGW-LAS in the upper deck of the refurbished 747. Although it was nearly a full flight the attendants were excellent and provided a very good experience overall. Movies were up to date with a very good selection (Over 70). Flight back was ANU-LGW on A330. again very good service and well worth the extra legroom seats we paid for. Would definitely fly Virgin again on these routes.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Liz Hill    (UK)

Flew from Heathrow to Jo'burg in January, decided to fly out Premium as a treat as the adverts look so inviting. I have to say it was the most uncomfortable flight of my life, nothing like the advert at all. I use to fly to SA a lot in the late 1970s early 80s and looking at the panelling of the plane I think it was the same plane, now very tired and run down. There is extra leg room and the seats recline further but that also means the chair in front reclines further on to your lap. Service very good, food very average. Maybe the plane in the advert flies to America but certainly not South Africa. We flew direct back from Cape Town economy and I have to say was dreading it. Not too bad as the plane was nearly empty so could spread out. Crew rarely seen only when pushing their trolleys. around, food even more average. All very disappointing. Certainly would never fly Virgin again to South Africa. Maybe to America and get lucky and get the plane the plane in the advert.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Sally Hornsby    (UK)

Just had a return flight from LGW to MCO in economy, and it was excellent. Was dreading the flights having had the flight from hell with BA from New York, and reading the poor Virgin reviews. Both flights were very good (paid for extra legroom on return night flight). Meals were ok, nothing fancy but filled a hole, drinks were good, films very good.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Sara Jessop    (UK)

I have just returned from a holiday in Cuba. I flew with Virgin for the first time. I had booked a package holiday and was surprised to see that I would have to pay £25 to reserve a seat. After already paying £3,000 for myself and my husband I did not want to pay another £50 to choose our seats that we had already paid for. Therefore I left it until 24 hours before the flight so I could choose my seats for "free". I logged on and was told I could not choose my seats so we had to leave it until we checked in. We ended up on the very last row of the plane. Once on the plane we had 2 alcoholic drinks and then they ran out of drinks. This is really quite bad on a 10 hour day time flight. Then we were given a menu but by the time they got Half way through the plane they had run out of our choice of meal. On the return journey they didn't even have my first choice of drink and by the time they got to our evening meal they only had a choice if water or juice. This is really bad for any flight but especially a long flight. I had always heard good things about Virgin which is why we thought it was worth travelling from Yorkshire to Gatwick for this flight. I think we might have been better off with Thomas Cook from Manchester.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 March 2015 by Terence Stubbs    (UK)

Barbados to Gatwick, 24 February 2015. Terrible Business Class lounge, but this is not Virgin's fault as it caters for all airlines. Apart from free drinks, it is all very basic and it can be hard to find anywhere to sit. On a positive note, the crew were absolutely outstanding and the food was very good. Unfortunately, as we were on an Airbus, it was obvious that too many Upper Class seats have been squeezed in. The herringbone pattern does not work well as it provides little privacy, the seats are very narrow, and the fixed screen between the seats mean there is little conversation if you have someone with you. And, the tiny bar is a joke. Choose a 747 Jumbo if you can.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 March 2015 by T Stubbs    (UK)

Gatwick to Barbados, 12 February 2015. Delighted with fast track and with Virgin's Upper Class lounge, offering great food from cheery staff, so the journey started well. Then it became even better as the aircraft was a 747 Jumbo which meant there were only 14 Upper Class seats. This was more like Business Class of years ago with ample space to walk around, a proper bar, attentive and outstanding crew, and very acceptable food. Plus, our luggage was waiting for us upon arrival. The only downside was the seat design as there was a fixed screen between each seat which effectively prevented any conversation.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 March 2015 by Steve Smith    (UK)

LHR-MIA and IAD-LHR all in PE. A busy morning at LHR check-in but staff were there to minimise the queues and I was checked in at an Upper Class desk within 5 mins of arriving. A full cabin on the day flight to Miami. We left on time and a Bloody Mary was mixed at the bar for me (a nice touch), with lunch following drinks, all presented on a try with real crockery and cutlery. Plenty of space around me although the old IFE system was used on the ageing 747. We live in a touchscreen digital age now and negotiating screens with a sticking cursor keypad was somewhat archaic and annoying. Crew were pleasant and helpful, with regular rounds of water and orange juice (or any other drink if you wanted). We landed 20 mins ahead of schedule and my luggage was one of the first out, another reason I like PE. The flight back from Washington was on the new 787 and the difference in seat style and IFE against the 747 was immediately noticeable. Flight was only a third full so I had the window and isle to myself. Dinner served promptly after take off but I wanted a drink first so they put my meal back in the oven and I had it when I wanted it - a more business class level of service from a personable, professional team. The IFE touchscreen was great and I stretched out and thoroughly enjoyed the movies, snacks and drinks all night long! A full English was served an 90 mins before landing. We arrived an hour early due to strong tailwinds and my bag was out within two mins of me arriving at the belt. I don't mind paying what was nearly double the economy fare when the experience was as good as this. Well done Virgin, I'll definitely be back again - just upgrade your seats and IFE on the older aircraft (I really only want to fly on your A330s and 787s from now on), it's the only reason this review isn't 10/10.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 March 2015 by C Perman    (UK)

Flew ABZ-LHR-EWR, returning JFK-LHR-ABZ. Outward flight with Little Red was, as with my previous flights, outstanding. The Little Red service exceeds what is expected of a short domestic flight, and the crew clearly take pride in delivering the product. Another exemplary flight with the short haul branch. This was my first experience with long-haul Virgin. The outward flight to Newark was comfortable and I found leg room to be sufficient. It was perhaps a bit tight at the shoulders, but I was in fairness seated towards the back of the A330's cabin where the cabin begins to narrow. In flight entertainment offered an excellent choice of movies, including many that were nominated for Oscars. The crew were polite and friendly, not exceptional but gave no cause for complaint. The food (chicken something or other) looked a bit pathetic and the chicken was a bit tough, but actually tasted OK otherwise. The sandwich box was a tasty way to round off the flight. Ground staff at all airports went above expectations, and were particularly helpful on arrival at Newark. I returned on a 747 from JFK. I had paid extra to select my seat, choosing the upstairs economy cabin for the novelty value. Unfortunately, my flight was remarkably quiet and they closed the upstairs cabin, re-allocating me to the rear of the plane. The ground staff at JFK were not particularly helpful at first in addressing this, although eventually offered me an exit row seat which was more than comfortable, and although I wasn't offered a window seat (which I would have preferred), the offer to upgrade my seat was certainly welcome compensation. The flight was very lightly loaded, and I had very few people around me. The beef stew for dinner was, again not particularly appealing to look at, but actually tasted very nice. The GŁ puddings were absolutely delicious. The IFE broke down and was unusable, but we were offered tablet devices and compensation for this - the issue was dealt with well. I managed some sleep on this overnight flight - the complimentary amenities kit helped a lot! I awoke to find I'd missed the breakfast service, but the crew had kindly left me a tasty breakfast box without disturbing me, which was very thoughtful. As for the final Little Red flight back to Scotland - again, excellent. It is clear that the Little Red staff take a great deal of pride in offering what I judge to be the finest short-haul economy product in the skies. The Virgin product is pretty standard, and although they promote excellent service, certainly for the Economy product it only shows in small areas, such as the nice puddings, and some little touches here and there. It's certainly not a bad product, but not quite the "rock star" service that they sell to us. I'd certainly use them again long haul, although probably will not be able to with the domestic flights being withdrawn in due course. The Little Red service continue to provide the best short haul flights in the skies, and will be sorely missed.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Monkhouse Paul    (UK)

Having flown to New York with Virgin in 2000 and found them to be the best airline I've travelled with thus far I was looking forward to my flight home (if one can look forward to returning from a great holiday). I was offered an upgrade on my seat for $70 as I had been unable to check-in online and was therefore stuck at the back of the aircraft but declined. In retrospect I wish I had because the seat I was in was incredibly uncomfortable and I was on an aisle so was able to stretch out a little, unlike the guy next to me. The cabin crew were friendly, the inflight entertainment very reasonable but the food was pretty poor to say the least and a lot of options had run out by the time they got to me (which I understand to an extent as I was one of the very last to be served due to my place on the aircraft). It might have been a bit of a blip as I loved them before but I'll certainly be plumping for Delta over Virgin in the future if given the choice.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Steve Lloyd    (UK)

Virgin Upper Class LHR-HK return. A340-600 in each direction. Only 9 people in Upper Class on the way out, busier on the return. Crew good - the problems come from the seat and the Vera entertainment. The latter has a very small screen for this class (compared to say Austrian or Swiss), awful music selection (surprising) and generally feels old. The seating is awkward - shoulder light cannot illuminate the dinner table due to angle, seat upright is narrow for anyone with broad shoulders and horizontal sleep impossible for the same reason. Gangways are small. The bar area is not workable with one more person in it. Overall disappointing, whilst other airlines have progressed this has not in some time.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Paul Higgins    (UK)

Used Virgin Atlantic twice on one trip. First been London to Tokyo. The plane was ageing and a number (including mine) of inflight entailment systems over worked, instead we got old DVD players that run out before the film finished. My seat didn't work and not once stayed in any position apart from upright. Apart from the staff I can't think of anything on that flight that should stay, even the food tasted like it'd been used a few times. The second flight was San Francisco to London. The entailment system worked however it was very old compared to the Golf airlines, more than me had problems with the seats on the flight.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 March 2015 by J Freeman    (UK)

Travelled Economy LHR-MIA and return in February 2015 on board a 747. Good check-in both sides, quick, efficient and friendly.No longer supply sparkling wine with a meal. Who on earth is providing their in flight meals, it was appalling. Do the management actually try it. I know that to many a £500+ return is not big money but surely it is not beyond their wit to provide the passenger with something edible. The cabin crew were as always delightful. I think we will give them a miss for a while in the hope of some improvement.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Nichola Cockrill    (UK)

My husband and I were on our 10th holiday to Jamaica and when asked to fill out the immigration cards, we were told by the stewardess that we only needed to fill out one card as we had the same surname (same family) which seemed strange as we usually have 1 card per person. We did as we were told, only when we got to immigration in Jamaica, we should have filled out one card per person. We then had to fill out 2 new cards, along with loads of other passengers who had been told the same information - and then go to the back of the queue, which is something you don't need after a 9.5 hour flight I can tell you. Personally I think Virgin staff need to get their act together regarding this issue. Apart from that, everything was great - boarding and take off on time.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 March 2015 by C Knapman    (UK)

Flew from Manchester to Hong Kong and returned Shanghai to Manchester via Heathrow both ways. The little red service is great, quick, efficient, and perfect for connecting, it's a shame this service is being discontinued as even though BA service is fine enough, connecting from Terminal 5 is always a nightmare, I find terminals 2 and 3 much more comfortable. As for the long haul service, I struggle to understand how Virgin can put an ancient A340-300 on a 12 hour long haul route, the entertainment was shocking, the old Vera Reel system should of been replaced years ago. I could tell they had put there most battle hardened cabin crew on this route obviously to deal with this, I have never seen a cabin manager talking to so many passengers mid flight, though it must be said she did a great job. Luckily the return flight from Shanghai was on a newer A340-600, and the on demand entertainment was much better. The crew on this flight though were clearly struggling with the majority Chinese passengers, and while there were Chinese crew to help, there was no communication between the British and Chinese crew. I find the crew on Cathay, Emirates, Qatar and other long haul airlines to have a much more professional attitude. Overall though the flights were on time, comfortable enough for an economy ticket and I would fly Virgin again, luckily they are retiring the old A340s because flying on one of them again would be the deal breaker.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Sejpal Anoop    (UK)

What a disappointment. This was my first time with the airline and trust me though in some ways better than BA, I would have rather flown with Delta or US Air. I had to fly to Charlotte for a Funeral and I had to make my reservation at the last minute. All was fine until I wanted to allocate my seating and was unaware that Virgin do charge for allocating seats prior to 24 hour web check in. That was the start of disappointment. I got my seats done 24 hours prior to departure and managed to get 2 seats by the window. When I got into the aircraft Airbus 333 and took my seat, I could barely fit in the seat as on one side my partner was sitting near the window and I was rubbing my shoulder with her shoulder for 8 hours and then the Aisle where my other shoulder was bumped by walking passengers and trolleys. Food was ok nothing exceptional and service was ok too. On my return on 14/02/15, flight was empty and my partner was not feeling well at all. I requested the crew for a middle row which there were plenty of them empty for my partner to sleep due to her not being well and despite row 44 to row 48 were totally empty, crew had tied the armrest with seat belts advising passenger that the arm rest cannot be pulled up to make a bed. My partner was given a bassinet seat where she had to be cramped in to lie down. As this was an overnight flight, as we got nearer to Heathrow, I asked one of the crew as to who the seats were RESERVED for as I saw a lady crew writing RESERVED and placing it on the dinner table. The crew replied boldly: IT WAS FOR US. This meant that the crew were allowed to use passenger seats for themselves rather than making the passenger comfortable for a 7hr 15 minute flight. I stopped flying with BA in 2004 and have not flown with them again and the same goes for Virgin Atlantic. No more praises for such an airline.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  24 February 2015 by R Kapoor    (UK)

Flew Virgin Atlantic to Shanghai end Jan, in Upper Class. Aircraft was old Airbus 340-300. Seats looks tired and so did the crew. Entertainment system was terrible - not as good as new VERA on 340-600 planes. Food was average. Return from HK was worse as 340-300 aircraft was even older than one on Shanghai route. Having paid a fortune to travel Upper Class it was disappointing not to be told that old aircraft were going to be used on both routes. Will definitely think twice before flying with Virgin again. I have travelled on this route with them for almost 10 years and this is the worst I've known the airline to be.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  24 February 2015 by C Mainwaring    (UK)

Flight Gatwick to Las Vegas, VS43. Little disappointed with the presentation of female staff whilst male were very well presented. Comfort of seats were very disappointing along with the fact no blanks were available to us. The movies available were very dated. Food provided satisfactory but half way through the flight they had run out of soft drinks so they said on request but it was clear this was not the case as they were visible on the trolley. Extra leg room was paid for which was provided but they did not inform me when booking to expect a playground at my feet. Width of seating was shocking, not being a large person it was a little tight but disappointing that I had to have a person sitting next to me invade my space. Very disappointed to over hear young staff talk about customers on the return flight in the manner they did very unprofessional. Again female staff presentation very poor on the return journey. Very much the same as the outbound journey very uncomfortable journey. Surprised that staff did not check seat belts of customers in the economy cabin but couldn't do enough for upper class and premium. Very poor all round.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 February 2015 by A Macleod    (UK)

EDI-IAD via LHR. First time with Virgin Atlantic, flew 30th January. Flew little red to LHR, pleasant flight, staff pleasant then Airbus 330 LHR-IAD. Staff great although flight wasn't busy, only gripe is that arm rests are fixed, although had 3 premium economy seats to myself. IFE great, tiger beer, decent wine, food ok. Return journey much the same but on VA's new 787 Dreamliner. Impressed, loved premium economy, felt very spacious on the new plane, service again good, leg room excellent. United you could learn from Virgins service and meaning of premium economy. Only downside is little red connecting flights stop from Edinburgh later this year so will be difficult to keep using Virgin Atlantic without guaranteed connecting flights with baggage right through. Overall very pleasant experience pity they don't fly Glasgow to New York direct.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 February 2015 by P Morrison    (UK)

Virgin Cape Town to LHR UpperClass Disappointment. My wife and I spent 3 weeks in Jan travelling around S/Africa and Mauritius for my 50th. Our first leg from LHR to Jo'Berg was in premium economy which was comfortable enough but the plane was just a little tired, and where had all those lovely girls off the TV ad gone ? Anyway, we completed our travels and were looking forward to a great trip back, especially me as I'd upgraded us to upperclass when I'd first booked so it was going to be a lovely surprise for my wife. Having travelled with Virgin years previously in their prime I was expecting something pretty lush. Alas, yet another 'tired old donkey put out to graze'. Don't get me wrong, it was certainly a step up from premium and the staff were excellent but it certainly didn't warrant the prices being charged (luckily I'd picked them up 11 months previously at almost the same rate as premium so it wasn't such a loss) and it burst the balloon quite a bit. The audio/video system needed a little bit of a makeover too. However, the biggest disappointment was the food. I have eaten better quality food on budget airlines within Europe, it was terrible especially for upperclass, I even politely rejected the breakfast run (In fact it was only a slight improvement on Air Mauritius which was absolutely appalling). I will travel with Virgin again, only simply due to the amount of air miles I have amassed for upgrades but I'll make sure I've got my Ipad full of music & movies and a few bags of crisps to eat. For me, Cathay still has the edge.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  12 February 2015 by K Vaughan    (UK)

Friday 30th January. Flew Barbados to Manchester on refurbished 747. Superb cabin and leather seats with lots of leg room in Economy class. Very good staff and food lovely and hot!. Nice breaky just before landing. Good choice of entertainment and a selection on newspapers to read. Nice comfy pillow and blanket and goody bag with socks, eye protectors, toothbrush and toothpaste and ear plugs that worked. Very enjoyable.

| Home | Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking | Airport Ranking| Advertise | Surveys| Site Map| Contact Us | Links |