Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

a World 4-Star Airline

Virgin Atlantic Airways
2.5 Star Rating: Average
1940 reviews

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Johnstone Colin    (UK)

We will never fly with Virgin again. This year on our annual Florida holiday we decided to take a direct flight back, usually we like a break and fly via another US city. However for speed we thought we'd fly with Virgin. Our disappointment was almost immediate as we stepped on the plane and found our seats, we expected a nice friendly welcome from the inflight staff but the surly stewardess couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge us. When I sat down I discovered that we were actually on a chartered flight as I'd never been on a scheduled flight with such a tight seat pitch. Inflight safety was almost criminal neglect as no one onboard would be able to stomach what passed for a safety video. Food was next and it was sparse and terrible. So here is my message to anyone thinking of flying with Virgin to Florida - do not do it - you can have a much better experience by booking a one stopper through a US airline. We have done Delta, US Airlines and United in the past few years and whilst the staff are surprising mature they are extremely attentive, provide great service and know how to feed you. They also have enough between their ears to have a sensible conversation with. An added bonus we had was a delayed flight from Florida to New York which gave us a free day in the Big Apple a few years back.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Graham Mills    (UK)

VS010, JFK to LHR on 27 July 2014. Finally took off 2 hours late, an hour plus on the tarmac waiting to leave. The PA system was so bad you could not hear what was being said. Did not try the inflight entertainment where the screen is usually so bad you may as well not bother. Big no no was the evening meal, I ordered Chicken Korma and it was disgusting. I told the steward and he offered me an alternative but I declined. Positive point was the crew are always helpful and professional. Pity about the rest.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 August 2014 by A Hansen    (Denmark)

Flew from Manchester to Orlando and Miami to London Heathrow. On both flights everything was top class. Ok seats and food. Very nice entertainment system with lots of movies, music and games. Helpful crew. Both flights were on time which is especially convenient when having connecting flights.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Gilbert Schwartz    (USA)

MIA-LHR r.t. in Upper Class - July 20 - July 27 - service by flight attendants was outstanding. However, the overall experience was disappointing. Seats have three positions: upright, slight recline and flat bed. Upon request, the flight attendant will reposition the seat into a bed and provide a duvet and coverlet with pillow. The bed is satisfactory for sleeping but it is not possible to readjust to a seating position without vacating the seat and removing the linen. The entire configuration is uncomfortable and impractical. When the seat is configured to a flat bed, reading and watching TV is near impossible. A far better seat would allow the passenger to readjust the bed to a comfortable recline which would permit reading, watching TV, or eating which is the case with most other carriers. People with some limited mobility should avoid Upper Class at all cost.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  30 July 2014 by C Henshaw    (UK)

LHR-JFK, 747, Upper Deck, economy class. Great selection of inflight entertainment. Food service ok, 3 choices of main - chicken, chilli con carne and vegetarian pasta dish, I had the chicken and whilst the fillet was small it was tasty. Passion fruit mousse desert was better. Love heart candy is a great touch. Flight arrived 10 mins early. Be aware if looking for somewhere to sleep upper deck is not for you as there is a large gap between your seat and the window/bulkhead - however it is perfect for those needing a space to put more stuff in flight.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 July 2014 by C Henshaw    (UK)

Little Red, EDI-LHR, 19 June. Service more or less on par with British Airways (Except that I note that the BA flight 10 mins later had a 30 min delay). Snack service with Drink, Baggage included to 23KG which is nice. Seemed to take some time for baggage return in Heathrow. Entertainment on board consists of old school flight safety demo, and a few sheets of glossy paper masquerading as an inflight magazine. In all, if you're going to fly, worthwhile to fly with them, but personally I prefer the train service.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Sarga Kumar    (UK)

I travelled from Heathrow to Los Angeles and I found that the seating was cramped for such a long journey and with very little padding on the seats it was a very uncomfortable journey. The stewards ignored calls and refused to meet the eye. They also lost my luggage and it was more than 24 hours before I got it back. The food was good, and can't complain about the service on the return flight.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 July 2014 by R Wieland    (Hong Kong)

HKG-LHR-HKG in Upper Class, "Dancing Queen" into LHR and "Bubbles" into HKG. This was our first flight with Virgin and the three of us (2 adults and 1 seven year old) enjoyed it. The staff went out of their way to treat every one as if you are their only passengers. Their friendly and jovial attitude as well as the flexible dining options are something to be commended. I have bad memories of the old CX herringbone layout who based it on Virgin's, but in the a340-600 at least, the cabin was light and airy and the walls of your cubicle are not as high. The lounge in HK is great, but the clubhouse in Heathrow is fantastic. It appears as if every member of staff, from check-in to cabin like their job and are happy to do it. The only negative is the somewhat limited IFE with very limited choices of movies and tv shows. CX is far superior in that respect.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Eriksson Anders    (UK)

Flew from LHR to JFK in May 2014 and opted for extra legroom rather than premium economy. Can't fault it. Both me and my wife are over 6 ft and had a really comfy flight. Food was ok. It's after all airline food which is never going to overwhelm you. We normally fly with budget airlines around Europe, so for us it was like luxury. I would recommend getting extra legroom if you're over 5 ft 11.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Van Page    (USA)

The baggage size was extremely limited. Normal overhead bags would not fit in the size checker. I travel a great deal, and have never encountered such restrictions. So, we wound up paying $80 to check one bag beyond our limit. When we boarded, we found that the flight was only 1/2 full and the overhead compartments were the normal size. They would have fit our luggage easily.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by C Perman    (UK)

EI3026, ABZ-LHR, return EI3023, LHR-ABZ. Excellent domestic flights, which really put the joy back into domestic flying. Online check-in was a breeze, and then straight through security to the plane. Outward flight was fantastic. Complimentary bacon roll and cup of tea were really nice and greatly appreciated after a long drive to the airport early in the morning! Seats were pretty standard for domestic flying and suitable for a short flight, although if the person in front reclines their chair it does feel lightly cramped. Flight crew were fantastic and really friendly, punctual landing into LHR. And free love hearts - quirky, fun, and really give the airline a character. Return flight was slightly marred prior to boarding when I was asked to put my hand baggage into the hold as it was large (not over the limits) and the flight was very busy. In fact, there was plenty of space on the plane for my bag, so this did little more than delay my departure from Aberdeen. But again, a really nice flight and very quick. Friendly crew again, and a complimentary drinks service (including alcoholic, but unfortunately I was driving). Overall, great value. Slightly more expensive than the low cost competition, but you do get value for money, and for Heathrow it is usually cheaper than BA. Would fly again in an instant. Frequent flier scheme is excellent for domestic flights.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by A Gilbert    (USA)

I recently travelled from LAX to LHR round-trip. The seats were uncomfortable for such long flights. The food was not good but the service was good. The planes seemed old for such a trendy airline, I would have expected more modern and up to date facilities. The in flight entertainment uses a wired controller which was very worn and awkward to get to. I felt like washing my hands every time I touched it.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by A Finister    (UK)

Went from Manchester to Orlando and back both premium economy. Bulkhead seats had TV's that came out of the seat only for them not to stay upright had to hold it to watch it, air con not working, it was hotter than Florida itself. Lost one of our cases. Staff clocked off a good hour before landing and just chatted between themselves ignoring all the passengers. Wrote a letter of complaint and got 40 in vouchers between three of us, would have preferred a nice flight.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 July 2014 by A Chinnery    (UK)

LGW-UVF, 25 May. UVF-LGW, 2/3 June. Arrived 3 hours and 45 mins before 10.00 departure. Bag drop was ok. Several free upper class check in agents and 1 occupied economy agent. We where told to drop of bags at upper class. A quite nice start. Boarding began 78 mins before departure. We where on GWAG an A330. LGW-UVF only. We left (airborne) at 09.54, 6 mins early. GWAG has no remotes. So IFE whilst good has got room for improvement on this aircraft. Meals where OK. Movie treat nice and drinks where served 3 times (improved over 2-3 years ago). We landed 30 mins early and beat the BA (777) and the AA (JFK757) so we got though immigration OK. On the way back a bit worse in some cases. Check in 2 hours 50 mins before flight. Quick and easy. We where late by 1 hour (not as bad as Orlando when we where delayed 1 hour in Tarmac). Boarding began 25 mins before we where airborne and we were off quickly. This aircraft GVGEM was operating VS90 from GND-UVF-LGW. GVGEM has got remotes and IFS was better. We landed 50mjns early and the arrival was uneventful. I didn't have meals as I ate at airport.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 July 2014 by J Try    (UK)

Took a Virgin flight from Hong Kong to London. Never again. Huge aircraft, jammed full to overflowing, economy seats very uncomfortable, the food was inedible, the restrooms filthy with no paper towels and no refills. The seating area, pull down tray etc unclean. Pre-flight, the customer service was very unhelpful with my questions about upgrading. The online check in was 'unavailable' for some reason. The most unpleasant flying experience of my life.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 July 2014 by King Paul    (UK)

We recently flew Heathrow to New York in June 2014 and booked Virgin. I know my wife and I chose economy, but the seats were small and cramped for a long flight. Just like Ryanair seats, we were constantly having the back of our seats kicked as people had no room to change positions. The controls for the entertainment were in the arm rest which as you were squashed in your seat were very difficult to reach. My wife is a size 8 and I'm 13 stone so were by no means obese! The TV screen reflected the light and wasn't easy to view and they served dinner instead of breakfast at around 8am which I couldn't stomach that early but was then hungry later. The food was poor even when I could face it on the way back. No choice, small meals and butter just covered one side of the roll. The plane and entertainment system, both ways felt old, the seating was cramped and uncomfortable, the food was not nice although the service was fine. I was excited to use Virgin before hand but Emirates far outshines them followed secondly by BA. Sorry but my first Virgin experience was a big disappointment and they are the most expensive and least impressive of the 3.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Nick White    (USA)

VS 19/20, June 20-27. First of all I think one has to determine whether the rating is absolute or compared to other airlines. They all have poor food, personally I think Virgin is better than most. They all have limited space. Virgin's cost of flying premium is much better than most others upgrade to Business. Premium isn't Business but its perfectly OK and to me the pricing of $1500 West Coast to London for Economy and $2500 or so for premium makes more sense that most airlines charging substantially more for Business.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Ronald Castille    (USA)

Orlando to Gatwick Airport London on May 28th, flight VSO28 returned to Orlando on June 23rd, flight VSO15. I did a lot of research on airlines to London, and even though I saw a lot of complaints on Virgin Atlantic, I decided to give them a try. Well, just as always you should try things for yourself before you judge, this was by far the best flight that we have been on. I have to say from the time we checked in to boarding it was like clockwork, once on the plane we were treated like First Class (flying economy with exit seat area) drinks, food and almost one on one service. I might say to that the crew was most impressive bunch we have seen, they worked at it for seven of the eight to nine hour flight. We will fly again no questions asked.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Reynolds Malcolm    (UK)

GLA to MCO. We flew from Glasgow to Orlando on one of the Virgin 747's. No issues at all at check in, the aircraft boarded on time. We has booked the extra legroom seats for our party and were delighted with the additional leg room. Inflight entertainment was great and kept our 7 year old entertained throughout. A little slow at passport control but overall a great flight.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Emma Curran    (UK)

When coming to book our honeymoon, I pushed for us to book Virgin Atlantic as I had fond memories of travelling with them as a child, unfortunately, my most recent experience has somewhat dashed this memory. I rarely write reviews and it is regrettable that I should have to write this one. Firstly, I would like to say however, that the airline crew were a delight, unfortunately the food they were serving was not. I appreciate I have gone straight to the food, however, when you are on a long haul flight this is a significant factor in your journey. We travelled with Virgin twice whilst on our honeymoon and both times the menu did not match what we were served - once is a mistake, twice is not goo enough. The 'starter' was bland and the 'main course' contained so much salt that I felt dehydrated after every bite. The snacks were far beyond creative. Whilst the entertainment was diverse, I felt for the chap sat in front of me due to the weight I had to put behind my film selection causing his head seat to bounce back and forth. I could continue down this road but I think it is important to reach an early conclusion - I was disappointed with this journey. The years have not been kind to Virgin Atlantic.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Helen Sadler    (UK)

Virgin Atlantic Little Red, MAN-LHR, 6th June. Flight was delayed due to a lot of traffic on the airfield at Manchester which had me and my mother panicking a bit. Once we boarded the crew could not be more accommodating. They assured everyone connecting at LHR that they had already called ahead and would hold flights for us, this was a huge relief as we had to catch another flight immediately. The cabin crew was lead by a very friendly steward who noticed immediately I was a nervous flyer and checked if I was alright as soon as he was allowed out of his seat, I have never had this happen on a flight before. The seats were very comfortable and roomy for the type of aircraft being used, an A320. The complimentary bacon roll was delicious and a very nice little touch to a domestic flight. This was our first experience of Virgin Atlantic and I would definitely recommend them.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Graham Chase    (UK)

Flew LHR to Chicago, 2/6 then back from LA to LHR 19/6. Flights booked with Virgin because of very impressive Atlantic flight some years ago from which I never stopped praising Virgin for their excellent service, I also paid extra to be able to fly Virgin this time, however that is now out of the window completely and they will be way down the list of recommends now. The outbound flight was not pleasant with a seat that was about on par with the general charter 2 hour holiday flights, probably the seat on the inbound did not seem so bad but still uncomfortable in comparison with what is generally available now days. There was generally a number of things that are not now acceptable eg main meal that was decidedly mediocre with rubbish box of claggy breakfast come tea, a menu on outbound that had no relation at all to what was served with just a brief apology, a cheap drinks regime of pouring from a large bottle but generally just substandard. The worst thing however was the entertainment screen, for me and many other travellers I suspect this is one of the most important items as I do not sleep on aircraft's so I look forward to relaxing and watching films etc throughout the flight and I was disgusted that the screens on both flights were so dark that in many of the screens all you could see was a few flashing lights, this was made worse when the person in front put the seat back and the screen could not be pulled out sufficiently to get the best view available, in fact on the outbound flight it not only would not pull out sufficiently but as soon as you let go it sprang back into the seat. The selection of films was also rubbish with not much choice except that didn't matter in end as they were impossible to follow and on the outbound the films all started at set times and could not be paused or re-started. In general I would say that Virgin have paired down their service to a minimum which is now not anything like acceptable I have flown in several carriers in the last year and found eg Emirates, Air New Zealand, BA etc vastly superior. Both were safe and on time flights which is the main requirement of course and that could not be bettered.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 June 2014 by D Jack    (UK)

09/05/2014, GLA-MCO-GLA, (24/05/2014) - Flew this route in Upper Class. Could not fault the service from start to finish. Staff were very attentive and anything which we asked for/requested on the flight was not a problem. The onboard bar was fantastic as usual! The B747 was almost full, as was the Upper cabin with all 14 seats being occupied. Even with the Upper cabin being full, we were made to feel that we were the only people being looked after (we know everyone was also) but it's the attention to detail with things like the service which make such a difference. Contrary to what others have posted, our aircraft was exceptionally clean and had a modern cabin. Already booked Upper for Grenada over new year!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 June 2014 by J Arnold    (UK)

During my flight I was very disappointed! I pre-ordered the food online (vegetarian option) but when it arrived it was cold pasta as a side snack and as a main meal it was hot pasta in tomato sauce. The menu gave to us was out of date and the air hostesses apologised for the wrong menu they gave out to us all. I know I am a vegetarian but it would be nice to have variation of food and not just pasta, pasta and more pasta. Vegetarians eat other foods as well. During flight V93 to Mexico they gave us no wash bag (with toothbrush and toothpaste). We had this on the return flight but not going. On the return flight V94 the vegetarian lasagne was disgusting, and the breakfast was just a hard cob roll with jam. We were given no butter or nice breakfast pastry as it said on the menu. Drink wise for the night flight there were no hot chocolate or nice crackers and cheese. I really feel the food has taken a turn for the worse and the food needs looking into especially the vegetarian options and breakfast meals.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 June 2014 by K Russell    (Canada)

I flew out of YVR to LHR two weeks ago. Being a nervous flyer, I always hate flying and reading the recent reviews I was even more nervous to fly with Virgin! At the check-in desk however, my worries began to be lessened. One of the Virgin Flight check-in staff listened as I told him I was nervous about flying and helped find my children and I a seat in the bulkhead. At the gate, the staff allowed "people who need a little more time to board" on first and we settled easily into VS96, on that night a really modern looking plane. Couldn't fault it - it looked clean and colourful. The flight itself was smooth and even though the air stewards were not perhaps as proactive as on British Airways, when I asked for help with getting a drink for the kids or something along those lines, they helped straight away and without complaint. The only less than stellar thing was the kids' meal - which looked like the adult version of a meal, but it was a late flight and the kids had already eaten, so I didn't care too much about that and neither did they. No kids flight pack either - but to be honest, that didn't bother me either - less junk to carry around post flight. When the plane landed 9 hours later at LHR my son had an epic meltdown. One of the Virgin Angels came out and asked if I needed a hand with my bags (I had one child under each arm and was kicking my bag along with my foot): I gladly took her up on her offer and she accompanied us all the way to customs, bless her, chatting all of the way. My experience with Virgin was absolutely terrific this time. Would definitely fly them again!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 June 2014 by Kolesnikov Alexander    (UK)

I had two different impressions of two flights with VA. The first flight was from London Heathrow to Los Angeles, Premium Economy, and it was great even though the seat I had wasn't the most convenient, in term of its location. I didn't sleep and for the whole flight stewards were always there, asking if I need something else, offering drinks, snacks, ice creams. The second flight was back home, from Los Angeles to London Heathrow, Premium Economy, and that was a totally different story. It all started from the delayed main meal. In the Economy, they were already finishing their meal but ours wasn't even served. Then the meal was served, eaten, and we had our dirty dishes in front of us for like an eternity. Nobody seemed to care about collecting the dishes, the stewards seemed to be hectically busy with something behind the closed curtains - but with what? At some point, a lady in front of me decided to recline her chair, and doing that she squeezed my dirty dishes, so I had to call the stewards and request to remove them. Then we were waiting for a coffee - for more than an hour. I reminded about a coffee a couple of times, but again the stewards were just too busy with something, not related to serving the passengers. Then there was another lengthy period, more than an hour, of waiting for liquors. The light was already switched off and most passengers were asleep when at last some brandy was offered. And then the Premium Economy stewards simply disappeared and didn't show up until closer to the end of the flight. Nobody was offering drinks, nobody was asking if passengers need anything, there was simply no service in Premium Economy. On the way back from the toilet I met Economy stewards who were serving drinks, they offered a drink to me. Were Premium Economy stewards on strike, or something? I have no idea. My rates below will reflect my experience of the return flight. I will fly with VA again in July, to San Francisco, Premium Economy, and I hope I will never meet again the team that I was unlucky to meet on my return from Los Angeles.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 June 2014 by B Phillips    (UK)

Flew recently Gatwick-Grenada-Gatwick. Flew out Premium, returned Upper Class. Excellent flights, excellent service, every thing on time. V-Room at Gatwick excellent value. New lounge at Grenada very comfortable and plenty of attention from staff. We will be going back to Grenada and definitely flying VA. Looking through other reviews it would seem that most of the criticism centres around VA Heathrow/Manchester Long haul flights. We have regularly flown VA out of Gatwick and have never been dissatisfied. VA please note.

| Home | Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking | Airport Ranking| Advertise | Surveys| Site Map| Contact Us | Links |

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax