TAM Airlines Customer Reviews and TAM Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

TAM Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by P Seel    (France)

Flight JJ8064, Sao Paolo to Madrid, March 30th 2014. Having read some very poor reviews we were a little nervous when our agent recommended this flight. However, we were pleasantly surprised. Staff were friendly and helpful, the food was not quite up to LAN standards but more than acceptable and served with some very nice wines. The seats were not quite lie-flat but comfortable enough and we were given nice duvets and pillows. The little flight pack was well put together and useful - especially the warm socks! Business Class lounge in Sao Paolo was OK, not great and we gave up trying to connect to the Wifi! It was nice and quiet though. The flight arrived 30mins early in Madrid and the bags arrived quickly. They have a bit of a way to go to catch up with LAN but would say that they are getting there!

TAM Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by A Altenbernd    (Brazil)

Business class from LHR to GIG on September 28th, 2013. It was a very bad flight mainly because of the worst crew I have seen. This crew were arrogant, incompetent with inadequate behavior. As soon as we got the plane there was no welcome. They did not give us blankets and pillows, we had to ask for it. When they start serving the dinner they brought everything on the same tray. Starters, soup and main dish, and, of course, when we started the main dish it was already cold. No dessert, coffee, tea offered. Just after they served dinner a small bit of turbulence began, the seat belt sign was turned on. Turbulence last for about 5 minutes, time for the crew stop the service and started their own dinner leaving everything on the tables. I have been complaining about this flight because it was an absurd. The crew are paid for doing their job. I will never choose TAM again mainly because of the way they handle the service I got.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by D Jordan    (Chile)

Return trip LHR-SAO-SCL. 3 April. Positive points: excellent service from check in and flight attendants. Courteous and keen to please. Food OK and served shortly after take off. Personally I like the beds that don't go completely flat, although I know its not to everyone's taste. Lounge in LHR is the star alliance one, with lots of room and good selection of snacks and drinks. Negative points: Lounge in terminal 1 SAO, was getting pretty full at only 06.45. Same complaint as on the outward trip. On both outbound and return trips, bread and tea/coffee was only offered once with the meal. Extra was available with no problem, but its a hassle having to ask for it. I've done 8 flights with them over the last 4 months, most in business, and whilst there are still things to improve to bring to LAN standards, I reckon TAM is good value for money.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by Laville Pierre    (Brazil)

Flight 8008, GRU-AEP, 22/03/2014. Flight portion purchased in Business class. At the last minute before boarding time, passengers were advised that, due to equipment change, C class would not be offered. Due to this late announcement, gate agents were unable (or not willing) to process a downgrade refund and guaranteed me that AEP ground staff would handle my request. Obviously, after my arrival in Buenos Aires, I was not surprised to see that the office was already closed, 20 minutes prior to our landing. Service in Y class inept, with a mushy and cold sandwich and a soft drink in a plastic glass. Managed to get an MCO re-issued the next morning. Mediocre flight service and appalling ground services overall.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Jordan David    (Chile)

SCL-SAO-LHR, 24 March. Lounge in SCL is of LAN, hence excellent in all respects. Snack to SAO not up to international standards but edible. Airports in Brazil are all of low standards, so not worth commenting on. However, as many others have reported, the business class lounge in SAO, is really unacceptable. It is well decorated, with a good selection of snacks and drinks but only enough room for about 20 people sitting. I had a 4 hour layover, and found there wasn't enough space to even have a cup of coffee standing up! It was unbearable, with people standing in the reception, blocking entry and exit. It was the same as the situation outside in the public areas, so no alternative but to squeeze into a corner and wait. With LAN channelling passengers through SAO on routes to Europe, this problem must be resolved or alternative airlines will no doubt be used. SAO-LHR, excellent inflight service, with very attentive flight attendants, and very good IFE. Food was OK, well presented but could be improved to LAN standards. To be fair, TAM fares are much cheaper than other airlines, so we cant be too demanding. I've used TAM a lot within S America over the last year, and will continue.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  4 February 2014 by Enrique Simeone    (Belgium)

BRU-FRA-SAO-MVD, 1st class on transatlantic and c on regional legs as no F available. Tam is a good both on board and on ground company. Their 1st class is only one row of four in both 340 and 777 planes. A little tatty and getting old but all in all, the service is rather good especially ground services which pick you up from gate and take you to lounges. Quality quantity and drinks is too local and little international but staff are attentive, will fly them again.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  31 January 2014 by M Oliveira    (UK)

Someone had mention in reviews that it was too cold during the flight. Well, it should be an advantage, Our flight from London to Sao Paulo was a nightmare due to lack of air conditioning on. I prefer to wrap in blankets and extra clothes rather than not having any air at all. We asked staff several times to turn it on but nothing happened. Staff were very friendly though, good entertainment panel.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  15 January 2014 by F Burgos    (USA)

My trip began in Salvador to Rio. Salvador airport is utter chaos due to construction. Took a while to get checked in. Plane was an Airbus 320 single class, very tight seats and lamentable catering. The Rio NY flight on former LAN 767 was paradise in comparison. The flat seats are substantially better then the usual lie flat TAM fare. Food was good yet unfortunately it was exactly the same menu as the incoming NY-Rio flight. I am sure TAM can do better. The soup option was good yet on both segments it was too cold: not good to have soup on a typical Business cart. Better to take a bit more time and serve it directly from the galley. Staff were cordial yet tended to disappear after dinner was over. Arrived on time and baggage was waiting.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by J Tydeman    (UK)

Flew back from Sao Paulo with TAM (having also flown out to Sao Paulo from Heathrow with them). As usual, a number of issues. Firstly, it wouldn't let us check in online, instead confirming that we were on stand-by. Naturally, this caused us concerns so we enquired on arrival at Sao Paulo to be told that this was because when we flew out to Sao Paulo we paid extra for exit seats. So, essentially they inconvenienced us just so they could try to upsell these exit seats again. Thank you TAM. The check-in clerk was very friendly anyway so that was good. Boarding was utter chaos. The time between boarding starting and the plane starting to taxi was two hours! I don't remember ever having had a flight like it. The seats were hideously uncomfortable as ever and the IFE extremely limited unless you wish to watch hundreds of episodes of Downton Abbey. The crew was alright but expressed the usual bemusement about my partner's veggie meal. Landed slightly early and TAM's ground crew took forever to get the bags off.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  6 January 2014 by J Tydeman    (UK)

Flew Heathrow to Sao Paulo and then a week later Sao Paulo to Montevideo. First flight was awful. Paid nearly 90 each just for the privilege of an exit seat. Didn't sleep well all the same as plane was freezing cold all the way. Crew were just about polite but nothing more and certainly no engagement. They spent the time during what I assume would have been the safety briefing chatting in the galley. I normally love airline food and am easily impressed, typically devouring everything I am given but both my meals were disgraceful attempts at food, and if it wasn't for the fact that we got such measly catering on a 12 hour flight, I would've left most of it. The crew vanished after the meal service, not even returning with more drinks or even water. IFE is about 20 years behind other major airlines so quite depressing on such a long flight. Having paid extra for exit seats there was then nowhere to stow books and magazines etc. The short haul flight was no better. A pre announced 40 minute delay turned into a 2 hour delay with no explanation and little updating along the way. In fact, while we were waiting in the lounge our flight disappeared from the gate screen altogether, again with no explanation. The 'meal' was a very unpleasant cheese and ham croissant. Really a horrible airline. On the Heathrow to Sao Paulo journey, which my partner and I undertake regularly, we will opt for BA next time which is better by a country mile and not normally much more expensive.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  13 December 2013 by Jordan David    (Chile)

11 Dec, flights 3311 and 8028, economy. Attention at the airports and on board was excellent. TAM is really improving. Food was the normal cheese and ham sandwich to GRU, then a better snack with a better sandwich GRU to SCL. What was nice was the attendants passed by 3 times offering drinks, something unusual but very welcome in economy. I also like the attention paid to safety on board, as the crew were far more conscious of it than on other airlines. For example, we were not allowed to sit in emergency exit rows as we didn't speak Portuguese. I would have thought that speaking English would be good enough, but I understand their point. Also there was a lot of turbulence across the Andes and they constantly reminded people to sit down, which is also welcome. I'm liking more this airline, the more I choose them.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  9 December 2013 by G Guena    (UK)

Appalling customer service. We fly all over the world and had booked our business class flights via Sao Paulo, however one leg of the journey was in economy as there was no availability of business class. On advice of the airline we booked a seat with extra leg room and made the payment. A few weeks later we were told those seats may no longer be available and they would not be able to tell us until the actual day of the journey. Moreover we would not be automatically be reimbursed unless requested. It is unbelievable that you do not get an automatic pay back where a service is not offered by the company, I am horrified at the lack of professionalism.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  7 December 2013 by D Jordan    (Chile)

Although LAN and TAM are theoretically now one airline, they continue to operate as before, except I do find their check in and on time performances have improved. The food on TAM, however, is far inferior to that of LAN. I recently went Santiago to Sao Paulo then on to Natal with TAM and on both flights, was served the same ham and cheese sandwich. One flight did offer wine which I strongly recommend others don't try. It was like some kind of very sugary grape juice, not like on LAN where you actually get a decent wine even in economy.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Laville Pierre    (Brazil)

GRU-EZE-SSA, JJ8019/3170, Nov 16 2013. No respect whatsoever for Business class paying passengers on their domestic Brazilian flight portions. No matter if you are inbound/outbound, TAM makes a point not providing you basic attention regardless of your International Business class fare. Forget Premium seating on the Domestic flights, forget early boarding. They gladly sell you on top of a Premium Business class fare a bulkhead seat for an extra R$ 30.00!

TAM Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2013 by S Redfern    (UK)

Santiago-Sao Paulo in economy. No major issues during the flight. Left on time and arrived ahead of time. Service was acceptable. The problem started once landed in Sao Paulo. As the flight arrived early there were no fingers ready so waited for 20 minutes before docking and an extra hour to collect my luggage as the aircraft ended up docking in a "different" finger. This is not a TAM issue it is the airport issue. The Tam part of the journey was ok.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  5 November 2013 by N Mauricio    (Brazil)

TAM long haul business class is below standards of international airlines. The seat is about average, but the service is really poor. I would rather fly a European airline in Economy Premium (such as AF or BA) than flying TAM on Business Class. The dinner service is really mediocre: everything is served at once in a tray - so the main dish gets cold while you are eating the first course. There is no choice of appetizers before dinner. The personnel on board does not seem to understand what are the expectations of business class customers. The cost benefit is very bad.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  26 October 2013 by R Santos    (USA)

IGU-GIG. Boarding was a bit chaotic but other than that the cabin was in good shape, crew attentive if asked. Nothing special but an OK flight. Took off and landed on time so not much more to ask for. Our luggage on the other hand took almost as long as the flight to get to us after. Don't think this is TAM's fault but was a bad ending.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2013 by A Gaitan    (Argentina)

JJ3558, IGU-GRU, 16 Oct 2013. Fly this route usually every month. TAM is dropping the quality of service and it shows. Should be considered a low cost airline and not a standard airline. At check in we were almost forced to do self check in, seats with more space are sold separately and until last month they served a mini sandwich with 3 choices of cold drinks (no coffee or hot tea), now a small bag of peanuts.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  11 October 2013 by B Baumann    (Argentina)

ZRH-AEP via GRU. Do not fly in code-share with TAM using Swiss and then TAM from Sao Paulo to Argentina. On departure in Europe at check in the system did not allow staff to print the boarding pass for TAM. So in both cases I arrived at Sao Paulo GRU without a boarding pass and when going to the TAM transfer desk they told me the flight was oversold and that I did not have a seat. On this trip it was even worse. We finally got on the airplane accepting that we would hold our baby on our laps instead of in the purchased seat and once in the boarded just before departure they came and said we had to get off as they had lost the ticket for our baby in their system. Their words: you need to go and talk to Swiss to get a new ticket. This after a 20hr trip with a 19 month old infant having boarded and everything. Sao Paulo GRU airport is a disaster. No clear directions and badly trained staff. They tell you where to go only to find out that the direction was wrong. When you then talk to them again they say sorry I do not speak English or Spanish. I heard this same comment from a lot of travelers about this airport. Try to avoid this airport.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  14 September 2013 by W Speers    (Australia)

SCL-GRU and CWB-SCL-CWB. Having flown from Australia, it's always an exciting to travel on a foreign airline. Given that TAM do not fly to Australia, this was a real treat! I enjoyed every moment of the flight on a B777 on SCL-GRU and taking away the GRU arrival issues, the flight experience was great! I think I would have had a harder time 'getting used to it' had I not spoken my broken Portuguese, they really appreciated it, as did I! The crew were professional, the service expected and the IFE viewable. Domestic BRA flights are simple and easy.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  13 September 2013 by Ewan Barr    (UK)

J Class from GRU to MEX on A330-200. Plenty of space and decent cabin forward of the main door, however staff were relatively unfriendly throughout the flight. Meals were ok but nothing special, however wine list was very good. Angled lie flat had plenty of space but was uncomfortable in sitting position and not very good as a flat bed (too angled and lumpy with poor headrest / footrest. Nothing was overly bad and very little was overly good.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  13 September 2013 by Andres Baboun    (Chile)

September 6 2013, Business Class from Frankfurt to Santiago via Sao Paulo. Airplane 777 fairly new. FA's make you feel they were doing you a favor bringing you food. Very cold service attitude and sometimes rude. They expected everyone to speak Portuguese. Plane in this section had 3 bathroom, one was kept locked only for FA's to use. They did not care there was a line and still kept the bathroom closed. Food was ok, nothing special. Inflight entertainment had a poor selection of films. Chaotic boarding in SAO.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2013 by Matthew Lee    (Hong Kong)

CGH-SDU, GIG-IGU, IGU-GRU and SCL-GRU in August 2013. Very different experience on these flights. CGH-SDU: cabin crew average, food not bad, old A319 but ok for such a short flight. GIG-IGU: excellent crew service, food only a cold sandwich, new A320 which had good seat pitch. IGU-GRU: crew service again very attentive and friendly, food the same sandwich I received on previous flight, old A320 not so comfortable. SCL-GRU on 77W: best aircraft with acceptable inflight entertainment system but would be insufficient if I was flying long haul. Last few rows with 2-4-2 seating compared to 3-4-3 should be more comfortable. Cabin crews were inefficient and not friendly. Food portion was extremely small. All in all, TAM was not bad. My experience of TAM was better than LAN, especially on check in efficiency and crew service.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  23 August 2013 by Greco Davide    (Italy)

MXP-GRU and back in economy class plus GRU-ASU-VVI in business class using LH miles. Overall the experience was positive despite the horrible airport in Sao Paulo, a facility where there is absolutely nothing to do: just a few shops, low quality bars and restaurants and a couple extremely uncomfortable waiting rooms. They are working to expand the terminal so hopefully it will get better soon. In the air everything was okay: A330-200 for the intercontinental leg and A320 for the Asuncion / Santa Cruz one. Good looking and clean planes and pleasant crew even if not super friendly in some cases. The food quality is slightly above average even though they should serve bigger portions. On the minus side I have to mention the entertainment system which should be upgraded as the selection is rather limited and it needed to be rebooted several times during the 12-hour flight from Milan to Sao Paulo. All flights were on time except the GRU-ASU which left one hour late because of a missing passenger whose luggage had to be offloaded (this apparently simple operation seemed to take ages). Will probably choose them again for my trips to South America as they have a good network and a direct flight from my hometown.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  6 August 2013 by T Bishop    (USA)

3 domestic flights and then one to Miami (on different dates). FOR-MAO flight was uncomfortable. Passengers coughed all 3 hours because of the excessive dryness in the air that I've never experienced in 20 years of flying. On my GIG-SLZ flight I was assigned an exit row seat only to encounter an unpleasant flight attendant who said I couldn't sit there if I didn't speak Portuguese. I got switched to the back of the plane. Disappointing to see the snacks served in so much plastic and packaging. Would use again when cheaper than other airlines.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  15 July 2013 by P Taylor    (Australia)

Took several internal flights around Brazil. Rio-Belo Horizonte-Brasilia-Manaus-Rio. Overall I liked all of the flights, seats were OK, food was quite all right for the short hops we were taking. Cabin staff smiled and were pleased to help. I was surprised that there was no electronic entertainment at all, luckily we took tablet PC's. Booking in was quite slow, and the automated booking in system has so many questions that I didn't bother even trying with it on any of the flights.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  11 July 2013 by Simeone Enrique    (Belgium)

BRU-FRA-SAO-MVD return. 1st class cabin on all intercontinental legs. Did two trips, in May and June, all of 6 legs inbound and outbound, using LH (code share) for the BRU-FRA-BRU legs and TAM for the rest. Both A340 and B777 aircraft. Well trained staff. Excellent concierge service on ground and very good onboard. Specially for waiting for you at gate to take you through security pass control and immigration quickly. Service includes picking your bags too, no limo service in MVD. Aircraft has only 4 seats in 1st class cabin and I was the only pax on all of 4 transatlantic legs. Good food and ok drinks. Amenities ok. All in all good service, reminded me of good old Varig 1st class service. Will recommend.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2013 by C Verbicaro    (Brazil)

GRU-BEL flight. Economy class. The priority check-in and priority boarding for Star Alliance Gold respected, but the priority bag drop-off in BEL was terrible. The snack of bread was old and hard.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  29 June 2013 by S Lenormand    (Germany)

April 2013, 10 flights with TAM. All poor, no Information during transatlantic flight, a very small dinner and a very small breakfast. I don't eat a lot and I was hungry during the flight Frankfurt - Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro - Sao Paulo. Seats were poor.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  27 June 2013 by Joseph McAvinue    (Australia)

Flew from Brisbane on 10th June 2013, and owing to LAN's failure to meet it's scheduled arrival time, I was offloaded onto TAM to depart from Santiago at 07.00 hours 11th June. Arrived at the airport at 05.00 hrs to find out that take off was delayed. At 10.00 hrs a statement was issued that the plane would be loading at 12.00pm. At 1.30pm a further statement was issued that owing to the fact that the flight could no longer be completed within the flight crews designated hours the flight was cancelled, and would now be going at 22.00 hrs. At 22.30 they began loading luggage and pax at 23.00. Sometime after midnight the captain informed us we had too many pax on board and some would have to be offloaded, when this was completed it was 01.15 on 12th of June and regrettably as the crew could now no longer complete the journey in their allowed time frame this flight was also cancelled and we were instructed to reassemble at 05.00 for a 07.00 departure, which eventually left at 07.30. I had now been at the Santiago airport for a total of 40 hrs. Had been through customs and immigration 3 times out and 3 times in. I arrived in Rio two days late missed seeing the sights or taking pre booked tours and thankfully have never come across this level of ineptitude or incompetence before.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2013 by D Cunningham    (Canada)

JFK-EZE via GRU in Economy Class. Seating on the 777 on the route from JFK and back was awful. The 3-4-3 configuration of the cabin should be illegal. The seats were narrow, cramped, it was a miserable experience. The flight to/from EZE from GRU were on A-330-200 was much better. It had a 2-4-2 configuration, seats were wider, a by far, more comfortable experience. Flights departed on time, and the flight attendants were great! The food service was just ok. I would use TAM again, but I will try leaving from MIA on a day time flight instead.

TAM Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2013 by A Guilbert    (Germany)

LHR-EZE via GRU out and GIG back. Best price I found for route, with short connections. I thought legroom reasonable for economy. Food OK on long haul, but the dry cheese and ham roll on connecting flights a let down. Entertainment good - mix of new releases and good older films. Re comments about FAs - right or wrong, I have found on all South America routes you are expected to go and get any nuts, drinks, snacks etc from them, works like a bar. They were helpful with warm milk for the kids and moving our seats on the way back (arm rests wouldn't lift up for kids to sleep). Luggage went through connections fine to other end, including 2 piece pushchair left at door of aeroplane at first leg of each trip. First experience with TAM and would be happy to use again based on this experience.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7