Monarch Airlines Passenger Reviews and Monarch Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2013 by M Vaughan    (UK)

MAN-Malaga, 5th May return 10th May. Flew out on a wet leased 747 from Spanish airline as Monarchs own plane was in for maintenance. Quite a novel experience for a 2 half hour flight! Crew all spoke very good English and plane seemed fairly new compared some other Monarch planes. Got free hot drinks, biscuits and bottle of water. Return journey was on Monarch 321 which was quite good leg space and plenty of drinks, snacks and duty free runs from a pleasant crew with captain giving information out. Both flights were on time and staff at both airports were very accommodating. Would definitely fly with them again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2013 by N Darby    (UK)

This was the worst flight I have ever had to endure. I was aboard a very old Monarch Airbus A300. The seat pitch is given as 28-29", the width 17.5". I had the heaviest guy on the plane sitting in front of me, thus reducing the pitch even further. I could only sit diagonally and only then, as my wife was next to me. After a 4 hour flight from Tenerife South to GTW was I glad to get off that plane! I originally booked a seat with plenty of leg room, but the plane was changed. The flight time was also postponed, meaning we had to overnight in a hotel, as we were too late to catch the last train. Do not fly with them.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2013 by B Saunderson    (UK)

We travelled to Birmingham to Malaga return on an A321. The check in was easy and flight left on time for both trips, plane was clean and seats and legroom no less comfortable than on any other short flight I have taken. The flight attendants were pleasant and helpful and although we had not ordered food, it looked appetising when others were eating it.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2013 by Roger Giles    (UK)

Baggage= Just to confirm what Monarch's Website can't seem to say properly and is a bug bare to complaints with customer services. When you purchase hold baggage it entitles you to 20 kg case in hold. This then shows up on the itinerary over the top of your 10 kg cabin baggage. It then becomes confusing and cost me 2.00 in a call to ask for clarification 3rd May 2013. Email question/answering were running 3 days behind. Not good. So even though it does not say I am entitled to take with me 30 kg overall. 20 kg=hold 10 kg=cabin

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2013 by Ros Brown    (UK)

Travelled with Monarch to Tobago. Both flights were enjoyable with decent food and good service from pleasant cabin crew. The aircraft was not full so we had three seats between two. Even check in was easy. The flight was an hour late on arrival in Tobago but the return flight was early. I would definitely fly Monarch to the Caribbean again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2013 by S Bryan    (UK)

Flight from LGW to Funchal on 13/3/13. Though supposedly a direct flight they decided to go via Faro to drop off some crew members. Hour and a half delay for approach into Funchal meant weather had closed in and we had to divert to Tenerife. Sat on the ground at Tenerife for an hour and then took off again for Funchal, where we eventually landed 8 hrs after take off from LGW. Was only offered 1 complimentary drink after 7.5 hrs, but no food! We were not allowed off the plane at either non scheduled en-route stop, 8 hrs in their seats is purgatory. Not an impressive performance for a "scheduled flight".

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2013 by M Webster    (UK)

Flew from Goa to Manchester. I am 5'10'' and with my back right against the seat back, my knees were touching the back of the seat in front. It was 11.5 hours of torture including 1.5 hours on the ground at Larnaca airport for a refuel. No drinks were provided except a cup of tea with the 'meal'. Passengers who had paid extra for 'premium' seats at the front were shocked to find they had the same seats as us in cattle class but with a little extra legroom. The captain did apologise for this saying that they had to use a plane that was not normally used for long haul. Never again, although to be fair, the cabin crew were pretty good and made the best of a bad job.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2013 by M Riley    (UK)

Manchester to Hurghada, 15/3/13. 90 min delay. Return 22/3/13, diverted to Rome as aircraft could not cope with the (easterly) tail wind without re-fuelling. More likely to have a crew change for operational needs. Very unsympathetic crew as the misery of the travellers was not a consideration for the cabin staff. No offer of complimentary beverages when re-boarding at Rome. No flight info relayed via Manchester Arrivals site. 2 other departures from Hurghada, Thomas Cook and Thomson departed at the same time to Manchester and landed without any undue delay, despite the wind and the sleet.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 March 2013 by C Gregoriou    (Cyprus)

My son had a 2pm flight from Leeds airport to Cyprus on Sunday 24th March. He was in the airport from 12pm until 10pm - they finally cancelled the flight after having people sat there with no food or refreshment. After they decided to cancel the flight due to bad weather, no Monarch rep was there so no one had any idea of what to do. All they offered on their website was a refund. What good is a refund if you book a flight 3 months ago for 150 and now to get another flight with any airline you need 600! No offer to help you find another flight - very disappointed.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  26 March 2013 by Ken Jones    (UK)

Booked flight from Manchester to Sharm El Sheihk. Flight times were good 10 out and 22.20 return. This booking for September 2013 was made before Christmas and fully paid up. Now I'm told flight times have changed, they have been put back 3 hours 55 minutes meaning the flight lands in Manchester at 02.20. I then have to get out of the airport, make way to my car then drive over 100 miles. Guess I'll be home somewhere between 05.00 and 06.00. If I had known this at time of booking I would not have booked the flight. There is no way out of this mess as Monarch have kept the time delay down to less than 5 hours. Last time with this airline.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2013 by Ioannou Christos    (UK)

A320, Grenoble-London. The most cramped conditions I have ever travelled in. Even for a short flight a totally unacceptable seat pitch with no room whatsoever to move. The seat itself was hard and unforgiving with no neck support. Unlike other 'charter' airlines who have been improving their on-board seating, Monarch clearly have no interest at all in their customer's comfort. Avoid this airline at all costs.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  21 March 2013 by Martin Lindop    (UK)

Flew Birmingham to Alicante return on Airbus 321s. Flights were on time. Leg room limited, but tolerable on flights lasting about 2.5 hours. Generous hand luggage allowance of 10Kg, but this caused a problem with boarding on the return journey as the overhead bins were full to overflowing and passengers struggled to find space to store their luggage. Even booking relatively early, I would not class the fares as 'budget' for the length of flight.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  20 March 2013 by R Gardner    (UK)

Extra Legroom

On 16 March 2013 I flew from Sharm-el-Sheikh to Manchester in an Airbus 321 which had insufficient fuel capacity to fly against headwinds and had to divert to Venice, to refuel where (apparently coincidentally) there was a relief crew to take over the aircraft, which solved the crew-duty problem. Several other Monarch cabin staff who needed a lift home also boarded here. We were told after push-back that the flight was unexpectedly diverting to Venice to refuel. And yet there was a relief crew waiting? I suspect that Monarch was less than honest with us. I believe that the diversion was pre-planned, because the range of the A321 in headwinds is insufficient for this flight. Monarch is clearly a budget airline emphasised by the shabby interior of our A321. I am not able to recommend flying with this airline.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 March 2013 by Peter Maidment    (UK)

Aircraft was an Airbus A321. Outbound to Lanzarote on Thursday 28 Feb in Seats 20 A&B, returned to Luton Thurs 7 Mar seats 14 A&B. The seat pitch out and back was so bad I could not fully lower my tray, also it was impossible to adopt the brace position for emergency landing if so required. For a 4 hour flight it would be very desirable to have inflight entertainment refitted?

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 March 2013 by J Hodgson    (UK)

Birmingham to Fuertventura. Plane left on time 8.15am and arrived on time. Birmingham airport is well organised and checking in was simple and quick. The planes are short on leg room and not the most comfortable for a 4 hour flight. The service on board was efficient and the cabin staff were friendly. The problem was at the destination. We had booked for transfers to our hotel and we had to wait over 2 hours for the bus. We contacted the Cosmos Rep and also the people in the airport who were organising the transfers. They smiled and said it will be here in a minute. It would have been cheaper and quicker to have caught the local public service bus.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2013 by D McNeice    (UK)

Flew from Luton to Rome. Monarch was a poor experience even by the acceptable standards by a budget airline. From the moment we checked in and the lady behind the desk didn't even give us a baggage ticket and had to be asked to give us one the experience was poor. After passing through airport security at Luton, which took an eternity (not Monarch's fault) we arrived at the gate. the plane was cramped and had a distinct lack of leg room, the least I've had on any flight. The seats were an uncomfortable plastic! The staff were disinterested in helping and they never seemed to smile! All in all a very poor experience.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2013 by David Clark    (UK)

Had the worst flights of my life with Monarch to and from Sharm El Sheikh. Appalled at lack of space - proverbial cattle class being the best description. I am 6 ft and found 5 hrs of cramped flying a nightmare - goodness knows how anyone bigger than me would cope. Return journey was made even worse by 2 hour delay at Sharm, hence landing Gatwick 01h10 and then having to endure 2 hour wait for baggage. Monarch use Swissport baggage services and on this evidence they are substandard - baggage hall was like something out of the 3rd world and an embarrassment to the UK. Never again!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  8 March 2013 by Geoffrey Carver    (UK)

Monarch's Birmingham to Funchal service was the latest to add to the recent misery of my 50 year flying experience. 40 minutes late departing - no explanation or apology "are we really late" said an attendant when we enquired. The return flight was also delayed by 3 days. The aircraft legroom (A321) was a good feature, although the cabin was noisy. The food indifferent.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2013 by C Arundel    (UK)

Travelled from London Gatwick to Grenoble on Sat 23rd February 2013. Original schedule was 12.50 and amended to 13.25. On arrival 4 hours before takeoff to book in, we were confronted by long queues and advised technical issue with plane would result in flight being split over 2 planes. 7 hours delay and Pilot stated minor fault which was taking a long time to repair and the plane had to complete 2 other routes before taking us. On return to Grenoble on 2nd March, smaller plane supplied with approximately 100 passengers deprived of flight due to overbooked! Additional plane supplied with overall only 20 minute delay over original schedule. Same letter supplied regarding technical issue as the week before. Best guess is 3 flights were under booked so squeezed into 2 flights with large delays. Avoid this airline at all cost.