Monarch Airlines Passenger Reviews and Monarch Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  22 August 2013 by N Burnett    (UK)

Flying out the crew were surly and seemed more interested in being in charge of passengers than being there to provide a service. They were rude, unhelpful and quite sour. Returning we endured a 13 hour delay - it was a nightmare. We were provided with vouchers for food (in the end EUR 30 each) but apart from the initial EUR10 handed over at check-in we had to fight for the second and third meals. It was all day at the airport. 8am check- in and 23.30 departure. There was no forthcoming information and the exasperated Faro agents just advised us not to book Monarch in future as it is always the same: I agree. In the end we were flown home by a Portuguese Airline who after take-off just dimmed the lights and left us to it (ie no service as had been promised by Monarch). We are still waiting for compensation under EU guidelines - they claim exceptional circumstances but it was a technical fault.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2013 by Susan Hughes    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Manchester to Chania, August 13th 2013. Flight delayed over 9 hours. Meant to depart at 9.15am only to be ready to depart at 18.15. Informed the aircraft had technical problems. Extra legroom seats were extremely narrow and even as a size 12-14 I struggled for comfort. Arrived at our destination well after midnight. Food on board looked and tasted awful and was marked up by 400-500%. Flight was extremely cold. I asked flight crew for adjustment in temperature only to be told to buy a blanket. There was no in-flight entertainment on the short haul flight and in flight magazine was full of advertisements and endorsements. Can't find a single positive aspect of the flight.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  20 August 2013 by Charles Wilson    (UK)

Flight to Kos, July 25th from Manchester, (Small planet airline) through Monarch. Departed nearly 2 hours late apparently due to cleaners being late. Daughter flew out the following week to join us, this time delayed 1 hour again due to cleaners being late. I have to say the plane was not very clean, melted chocolate remains on seat and table, and rubbish on floor. Return flight not much better, pulled flight booklet out of seat pocket and remains of chewing gum stuck to my fingers, the lady sat next to me sat back in horror, exactly the same problem. Not a very pleasant experience. The food and drink service was extremely slow, having said that the staff were very friendly and helpful. Travelled with Monarch before and no problem, however really need to look at Small Planet as a charter for Monarch.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2013 by T Windle    (UK)

Due to fly back from Egypt to the UK, 8th Aug 2013. Got to the airport, informed of a delay, after a couple of hours it was announced we would not be flying that night so then confusion set in. Herded back through the airport were there was no Monarch reps, our cases were off loaded and lay scattered all around the airport. Herded off to hotels with little or no info on when we were going to fly. After a 17.5 hour delay we eventually took off only to be informed there was no hot food on the flight. My advice, do not fly Monarch Airlines, the customer service is a disgrace.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2013 by C Broome    (UK)

Gatwick to Bodrum on a Monarch A321. Check in was fast and staff were helpful enough. Although, for a family of 4 to be split up because we 'didn't buy seats online' was a little disappointing. The cabins are fairly old fashioned and the leg room is bad for people with long legs. But, the flight went quickly enough and was a good enough flight. Coming home, the flight was delayed and no staff was anywhere to be seen. But, the inward bound journey was fine and we still got home ok. Would prefer Thomson in the future, but for a first time, Monarch isn't the worst airline in the world.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 August 2013 by D Donoghue    (UK)

Flew Gatwick-Orlando Sanford-Gatwick, 27th July - 10th August. Check in was quick and efficient both ways. Cabin was clean, seats comfortable and good legroom - food was better than when we flew with Virgin 3 years ago. In flight entertainment was ok, in line with the age of the aircraft. Cabin crew good on the way out, and excellent on the way back. Both flights on time. Well worth upgrading to Premium Economy. We would use Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 August 2013 by P O'Neill    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Travelled Manchester to Tenerife South on 26th July, returned 10th August. Paid££25 each way for extra legroom in the most uncomfortable seats I have ever had the displeasure to travel in. Due to the trays in the armrests it made the seats excruciatingly narrow and painful to sit in. Had an empty seat next to me so swapped with my wife who was 12 rows back with my son. Son initially sat with her but was told by the cabin crew to move as my son had not paid for the extra legroom. When my wife sat there upset at having to sit on her own the cabin crew made half hearted attempts to strike up a conversation with her. For the flight back I decided to tough it out, but ended up twisted in the seat for most of the journey and perched on the front edge of the seat with my knees and head resting on the wall in front of me for the rest. Narrowness of seats not made known at time of booking or I would not have bothered with paying the extra. A300 plane used, Hips still hurt 3 days later, I appreciate I am of a larger build, but then so are most people who want extra legroom and to not be warned about the possible discomfort is very poor customer service.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2013 by R Whitcombe    (UK)

Flew from Gatwick to Orlando Sanford and return, 25th July - 8th August 2013. Upgraded to premium cabin. Very little benefit as compared to other airlines. Faults on seat recline on both journeys. Inflight entertainment and food poor quality and premium baggage labels ignored as bags were not unloaded first as per the claim on their website. Would not fly with Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2013 by C Hickey    (UK)

We flew Gatwick to Heraklion (Crete) and the flight was great. Staff were excellent, the food was great, the plane wasn't the newest, but was excellently maintained, and was clean and tidy. The only thing I would say, is that it would be nice if there was some in flight entertainment, but apart from that, a great flight!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2013 by Ivi Nathanail Anagnosti    (Greece)

Luton to Corfu, flight was on time, the plane was in really good condition, like every plane I flew with. I would recommend without hesitation!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2013 by L Eleftheriou    (Cyprus)

I flew with Monarch on the 25th for the first time. Flight was supposed to be in the early morning hours from Larnaca to Gatwick. After waiting in a very long queue for a long time we were informed that the flight was cancelled. The next flight was in the evening and so I lost a whole day from my holidays. What a disappointment. It was quite uncomfortable in the plane, we were not even offered a soft drink. Not exactly the perfect hospitality! Airhostesses seemed cold in their behaviour, don't remember them smiling at all. My ticket was not cheap.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 August 2013 by Kev Clark    (UK)

Manchester to Tenerife, 16th July, 15.05 returning 2nd August 21.05. Staff great, no delays outbound landed early, same on inbound land 35 mins early. Plane clean and tidy on board staff very cheerful. Have flown with them since XL folded and never had any issues. Would recommend.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2013 by H Warren    (UK)

ZB743, Malaga - London Gatwick - delayed 12 hours. Found out a month later this was supposedly due to a landing gear fault on the plane, not on the preceding London flight, but actually in Tenerife, which I can only assume was the intended flight before that. Yet still Monarch did not manage to communicate to anyone before they arrived at the airport that the scheduled flight wouldn't be possible. No staff at the airport to give any information until we waited at the gate at 1am to ask the Captain what was going on, and a pittance of compensation to cover food during that time. The 2 separate planes our group was split across were very aged, dirty, and with the seats falling apart. I will never fly with Monarch again no matter how cheap the ticket price. They need to start replacing their fleet and maintaining what's left. It's a shame because once you are actually on the plane, the staff are lovely, especially if you are a nervous flyer - they must be tired of having to deal with all the frustrated passengers.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 July 2013 by Derek Coster    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Airbus A300-600R to Corfu and back. Aircraft apparently dates to 1990 but was in pretty good condition although the seat back in front of me was torn. I paid for extra legroom which wasn't too expensive and was definitely worth it as Monarch manage to squeeze 352 into this aircraft apparently. Seat width could have been better but it was slightly squeezed in Row 2 as the seat tray was folded into the arm rest. Staff were efficient and polite which was impressive given there were an awful lot of people to deal with. I should have booked food in advance as you can only buy sandwiches on board. Monarch say you can book a meal up to 24 hours before your flight but not if the flight is part of a package holiday you can't , at least not if it's Saturday or Sunday, as the call centre staff pack up on Friday afternoons. Sandwiches were pretty poor and had I not been running late I would have bought something at the airport. No inflight entertainment but on a 2.5 flight that's not a problem for me. All in all a pretty good experience. Punctual and professional and a generous baggage allowance of 20kgs if you needed it. Throw in the classic Airbus A300 which is not seen in Europe anymore, at least not in passenger airlines and I was more than satisfied.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2013 by M Niedziela    (UK)

MAN - HRG return - after reading many negative comments it was a nice surprise. Food was reasonably good, both flights on time, reasonable luggage allowance, staff attentive and captain announcements frequent. Aircraft's not new but clean and well maintained Airbus A321. The seats recline only slightly, legroom not very generous, but I didn't expect the standard of QA or Emirates from this budget airline. No major issues, you can book in confidence.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  29 July 2013 by J Rogan    (UK)

Flew from BHX-TFS in July, even though there was a small delay outbound and inbound we still landed practically on time and crew were excellent. There are delays with any airline so I cannot moan about that as it could happen to anyone.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  29 July 2013 by R Turner    (UK)

My husband and I travelled from Faro to Birmingham and the flight was delayed 9.5 hours due to a "technical fault", so they told us, with the plane in Manchester. This was on 19th July 2013. My daughter in Solihull was watching the internet and the plane actually left Birmingham, not Manchester. We had spent 11 and 3/4 hours in total at the airport. At this moment in time, 27th July 2013, my son and his family have been delayed 3 and 1/2 hours so far at Gatwick. Again another Monarch flight to Palma. The kids are 8 and 5. I will think twice before I book a Cosmos holiday again. They use Monarch flights.