Monarch Airlines Passenger Reviews and Monarch Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by T Kavanagh    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew back from Funchal airport in Madeira yesterday and boarding was a farce! I watched several planes land from the open air top floor balcony and passengers got off their planes and walked a very short distance to the terminal building. When we went left the terminal building to board, to the astonishment of virtually everyone, we had to get on a bus to our plane which was parked not an inch more than 30 yards away in front of the terminal building! The flight was ok but the extra legroom seat was very narrow and I am not fat! The food was poor and vastly overpriced, the cabin crew were very good and professional and I felt really sorry for them as on top of their normal duties they had to try and hawk uninteresting lottery tickets that nobody wanted and then they had to try to collect for some minor charity, again with no interest from the passengers.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by Craig Bowring    (UK)

Booked our flights to Goa. Checking in was a breeze so a great start, boarding the airbus A330 I was pleasantly surprised, yes this is classed as a "budget" airline and yes you do get what you pay for but even though we went for the "budget" airline the seats for us were great. The leg room was good and the food was as all airplane food is but still nonetheless was a good meal and the cabin crew were lovely. Return flight was also the same. You do get what you pay for so if your expecting to fly like royalty then choose a different airline, but if you are like the average holiday maker and cant afford all those luxury's then this is a great airline to choose.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  5 February 2014 by C Thomas    (UK)

We have just returned from Goa, on the outbound journey we were disappointed not to have received the seats that Flight from Gatwick to Malaga in October. I wasn't expecting luxury but when the lady in front of me reclined her seat immediately after take off my journey became very uncomfortable. This wasn't helped by the seat pitch being very small in the first place and the pocket on the seat being bent and broken and digging into my knees for the whole flight. This was a morning flight so there was no need to recline. I would suggest to Monarch if they insist on packing so many people in and having small seat pitches, to follow in the steps of EasyJet and have seats that don't recline as unfortunately it seems that many people can't get to grips with good manners and common decency. Just think would you be happy if somebody did that to you! Easy really. I would use Monarch again but only for a flight of a maximum of 2 to 2.5 hours and only if they were a lot cheaper than the alternatives.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  29 January 2014 by C Hague    (UK)

We have just returned from Goa, on the outbound journey we were disappointed not to have received the seats that we had asked for on medical grounds as stated on our tickets. When we arrived at the resort at 5.15 am we where told that we could not check in until 11.30am. During our stay we decided to upgrade our return seats to premium class, we paid 300 for the pair, on arrival at check in they had to search for our names which took up time, when we took our seats, a cabin crew member told us that because we had booked the premium return seats less than 48hrs before our flight we would not be getting the full premium service i.e. The food would be of a lower standard. We told the crew member that we had actually booked it a week ago, every time that we have travelled with Monarch we have had problems. We only booked this time because the hotel we wanted use Monarch. Never again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  20 January 2014 by L Eastwood    (UK)

Manchester - Goa on A330. We have just returned from Goa and were very disappointed with pretty much everything on the flight, the only good things were the Monarch staff at Manchester (check in and help desk) and that the flights actually left on time! But apart from that the seating was cramped, the plane was very dated, the entertainment very basic and unreliable for an 11 hour flight. The air crew were miserable and more interested in selling you earphones, expensive drinks and snacks before providing the inflight meals that were ok on the way there (two in 8 hrs) but totally inadequate on the return journey (one meal in 11hrs). After comparing these to previous flights with other companies we will not be using Monarch again!

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by A Luffman    (UK)

Just returned from Tenerife to Luton on 11th Jan and outward flight no problems at all as on A320 with extra leg room and older type seats (cloth) which reclined. Service and comfort fine. However return flight was on a A321 which looked as if it had just been refitted with leather type seats with no recline action and despite again having extra leg room turned out to be the most uncomfortable flight I have been on. Virtually no padding anywhere on the seat, arm rest shorter than the norm and seat squab appeared to be shorter as well which added to the discomfort. I wasn't the only one to complain to on board staff and by the response they have had many more! I would say 2 hours is about the limit that one could endure so 4- 5 hours is really a pain in the butt! Flown with Ryanair and Easyjet to same place and they were much better for the comfort factor. Just hope Monarch do not refit all planes with same seats! Apart from this aspect staff and food etc fine and not constantly pestered.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by A Sillett    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Travelled from Luton to Rome in January 2014. Aircrew where very polite and helpful. Plane seats were comfortable, we'd booked extra leg room which was adequate for my tall husband. Flew on time and arrived early in Rome.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  6 January 2014 by G Hussey    (UK)

Just got back from Goa. Was ill during flight, so 11 hours of torture! Cabin crew were really nice, but let down by under-investment in the aircraft. These are really old planes, so old fashioned drop down TVs (that kept breaking) and noise levels etc all the norm for older planes. Per comments here, seat pitch and width is terrible, so restful flight impossible. It wasn't that cheap, so no "get what you pay for" nonsense. Overall, great crew. Real shame let down by poor planes/flying experience.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by Andy McGuinness    (UK)

Flew to Egypt and back (Sharm el Sheik) December 2013. Return flight delayed by about 2 hrs due to weather problems in Grenoble, so travelled much later than anticipated. Seat pitch is appalling, I would suggest that it may have safety issues if rapid disembarkation is required and leg room so appalling it invites DVT. Even though the 5.5 hr flight took off some time after 22.00 instead of 20.20, the cabin crew still kept up their incessant sales pitch for inedible food, undrinkable wine and 2 for 1 offers for duty free tat throughout the flight making relaxation - what there was of it, considering the lack of personal space - even more difficult. The seats were worn out, hard and many would not recline.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  30 December 2013 by K Glasby    (UK)

Flew EMA to Faro 19/12, flight more or less left on time, aircraft clean and very presentable, cabin crew good with regular updates from the flight deck. Returned on 26th, late on departure, an air traffic control issue, made up time into EMA again cabin crew very smart and attentive even though flight was less then half full. Only problem with this airline is the lack of leg room, same as other charter airlines. It was almost acceptable for the flight distance.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  30 December 2013 by James Fitch    (UK)

Tenerife to Luton on 27 December 2013. The plane was delayed by approximately one hour. I was seated in 17A (allocated) and the space between the front of the seat and the back of 16A was 10.5 inches which is absolutely absurd. I had the most uncomfortable flight ever and considering I fly on average 18-20 times a year and have been doing so for 50 years that is some claim.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by Beryl Hatton    (UK)

I flew on a Monarch plane chartered by Saga in January from Los Angeles to London Gatwick and endured a long delay at LA with no help from anyone regarding food or reasons for delay. Eventually sweltering customers were boarded on just one set of steps for the whole jumbo planeload. The seats were very cramped and the aisles very narrow. I am 5ft 2ins and very slim but had to walk sideways breathing in to pass down the aisles towards the rear of the plane. I could see well built passengers overflowing into the aisles from their seats and also on to the unfortunate person sitting next to them. This is not the service or comfort that Monarch offered a few years ago. The food was sparse and awful but the crew blamed it on Saga. Worse still, we had to make an emergency landing at Santiago due to a sick passenger and when airborne again, an announcement was made that there would be no hot drinks served as they had run out of hot water. Never heard such an excuse and all we could have were cold drinks. Completely unacceptable and never explained to us. Now worried that Fred Olsen are using Monarch to connect us to a cruise starting from Tenerife on 17th January 2014. Wonder what will be in store for hapless passengers on that flight?

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  16 December 2013 by Jack Alexander    (UK)

ZB96, 14th December, 0900, Luton to Sharm el Sheik. So we got onto the airplane as usual nothing special about that, after a short time we took off, all seemed well until about an hour into the flight to Egypt we were told there was a technical difficulty with the plane and we had to travel another hour back to Luton airport. We were then kept waiting on the airplane at the airport for 2.5 hours waiting for them to fix the problem a large majority of this time was without air conditioning and we were told we cannot leave the plane, so all in all we have been sat on this plane for 4.5 hours and we are right back where we started. Worst airline I've ever experienced, don't ever use Monarch.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 December 2013 by Kevin Tunnicliffe    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Arrived at airport and saw huge queues for check in. Approached by staff member and asked if we would like extra legroom seats at extra cost of 26.95 each. Said "yes" and were taken straight to a desk reserved for premium flyers and were then told we would get complimentary upgrades coming back. Cabin crew very pleasant and efficient. Monarch if a sort of hybrid airline between low cost and full service models. They have both charter and scheduled operations. 20kg baggage pus 10kg hand luggage included but all food and drinks are paid for as required. Both flights on time and as this was a four and a half hour flight the extra legroom seats were well worth the money. On board they announced spare extra legroom seats for sale at 30 one way, so we were doubly pleased.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2013 by Neil Harvey    (UK)

Manchester to Tenerife 5th December. Flight on time and crew friendly and efficient. Seats could be better in terms of legroom and width for a 4 1/2 hour flight . 10 kg cabin baggage adequate though paying 15 for online check in is a bit steep but maybe worth it to avoid the 30 minute queue at Manchester airport.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  6 December 2013 by A Kyprianou    (UK)

Luton to Larnaca. OK as expected. Larnaca to Luton - different aircraft - non reclining seats on 5 hour night flight. Completely crazy? Non-reclining seats may be acceptable for a 1-2 hour flight, but a plane load of passengers dying for some sleep, many of whom have a long drive when they arrive back in the UK is nuts. Couldn't see that they had got anymore seats onto the plane because of it. If you want to save weight stick to the 10kg cabin bag limit and not let people into the cabin with full size 20kg suitcases.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Paul Brown    (UK)

Got on the plane from Sharm, Egypt, 28th Nov. Boarding time was 17.25, waited on plane for over 2 hours as there was supposed to be a problem with the air conditioning. Staff didn't offer drinks to people, they needed to be asked. The flight then to Birmingham was diverted to Luton, we arrived in Luton at 23.15 local time, and was told there would be coaches to meet us there, at 02.00 the coaches turned up, only two of them. There were no Monarch staff there to assist any passengers, I finally got home at 05.00 and was suppose to be at work at 07.30. Will never use Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by P Matt    (UK)

Luton to Lanzarote. Very good. Pre ordered food and was excellent would do that again. Flights were 125 pounds. I would use them again over Ryanair. Much more straight forward and less in your face. Hardly any legroom at all even worse than easyjet but I'm only 5'9 and it was only a 4 hour flight so for the money I was happy. Extra legroom seats could be worth it but would have put and extra 50 odd pounds on each ticket so we put up with the lack of legroom.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by J Bartley    (UK)

Extra Legroom

Flew return flights to Egypt, 11/11/13-25/11/13. When checking in asked for extra leg room, charge for this was 10 per seat, well worth it. On the way back from Egypt they wanted 30 per seat, same plane etc? Staff were good and friendly, disappointed with the return charge for extra leg room as I am over 6 foot the "normal" seating space was very cramped! Another thing was we couldn't check in online which was a bit of a pain.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  22 November 2013 by Busby David    (UK)

My main grudge is with the seating. I am 6ft 3ins and therefore usually, when flying economy airlines, ask for, and pay for, extra leg room, and usually in advance. I have not flown Monarch for some years now but when I used to fly Monarch, I recall a superior charter airline with more seating space and better food and service than other charter airlines. This time (14/11/13 Leeds/Bradford to Lanzarote) booked through Sunseekers, I had no opportunity to book extra legroom in advance. Monarchs confirmation to me, through Sunseekers, advertised extra legroom seats "from 6.99 per single flight". Extra legroom seats were offered to me on the outbound trip for 10 each. On the return trip, at the airport, I asked for seats with extra legroom and was told the price, one way, was 31, vastly more than either 10, or 6.99 come to that. Obviously this price was grossly too expensive as the seats were offered on the plane at 20 each, still a lot but hugely annoying to anyone who had paid 31 in the terminal. I found both of these prices to be unacceptable as I would have needed two seats. As a result I spent a very unhappy and cramped 4 and 1/4 hours and will not choose Monarch again.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  13 November 2013 by Helen Tyson    (UK)

Malaga to Manchester on 19th October. At 6 months pregnant and with a 14 month old toddler, I was worried and apprehensive about the flight. My son became distressed during the flight which turned out to be an ear infection and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Staff came to give some support and discussed ways to soothe my son without being condescending and didn't make a scene.

Monarch Airlines Customer review :  4 November 2013 by Sophia Kaganovich    (UK)

Flew MAN-TFS a few weeks ago. On arrival we were informed of a 5 hour delay and received a mere 5 food voucher that could only be used in selected places-and it just and no more got me a meal deal. We were scheduled to leave at 14.55 and ended up leaving at 20.05, so delayed by over 5 hours. We were then herded onto the plane like cattle and once in the air bombarded every 10 mins with offers of food. The cabin crew were more interested in selling you something than your actual well being. On the return we were late taking off yet again by around half an hour. Be warned, no Monarch Airlines flight ever takes off on time, so never use them for a connecting flight or when you have to be somewhere prompt. Would certainly not recommend, even after a 5 hour display with a distance over 3.500km they refused to cough up and pay compensation. Will certainly avoid Monarch in the future and would never recommend them.