Insel Air Customer Reviews and Insel Air Passenger Trip Reports

Insel Air passenger trip reviews

Insel Air Star Ranking

Insel Air "Essential Travel" Guide

Insel Air Economy class seat reviews

INSEL AIR customer review :  23 September 2014 by M Mannes   (Aruba)

I traveled with Insel air June this year from Aruba via Curacao to Suriname. At the check-in counter I asked the lady to label my luggage all the way to Suriname. In Curacao I discovered that it was not done and since I was in transit they had to intercept my luggage and change labels. After 2 hours and repeatedly asking it was finally done. We had a delay of approx. 1 hour. The aircraft was pretty old and packed with embassy and refinery people and there was a fight about a seat, police had to escort a couple off the plane which resulted in another 45 minutes delay. Cabin staff mishandled the issue and shouldn't have allowed the 'back and forth' scenario. My return flight date had to be postponed so I sent Insel Curacao an email, followed up with calls to Curacao but the person in charge was never available. After a lot of calls and emails we never got an answer. I decided to fly SLM back to avoid more issues with Insel Air.

INSEL AIR customer review :  15 September 2014 by N Brown   (UK)

August 2014, Aruba-Curacao-Bonaire, Bonaire-Curacao, Curacao-Miami - All of the flights were late but without any explanation. In Curacao for the flight to Miami we could see the plane being loaded and fuelled over an hour before take off but they said they could only board one flight at a time and the three earlier flights to other destinations were late and we had to wait for them to board until we did. Took off nearly 1 hour late. On the flight to Bonaire we took off from Aruba nearly 2 hours late. When we got to Curacao, we were rushed off the plane to the terminal, through security and then rushed back onto the plane we had just come off!! When we asked why we could not have just stayed on the plane we were told they had not thought of that. Terrible customer service and some of the oldest planes I have flown on for a long time. My seat was coming apart on the Miami flight.

INSEL AIR customer review :  9 July 2014 by G Pytlik   (USA)

June 2014 - we booked tickets in April for our flight on Saturday June 21. We got an email the night before our flight that the flight had been cancelled and would depart on Sunday instead. When we arrived at Miami airport to check in on Sunday, the agent said we never fly to Aruba on Saturdays! That flight ended up being 3 hours late leaving Miami. To make it worse, our return flight messed up our luggage and took it to the wrong terminal and it all had to be searched by customs again. We sat in Miami airport for 5 hours after arriving to get our luggage. When we asked for information or what was being done no one could tell us! The plane was dirty and shabby. The worst airline experience.

INSEL AIR customer review :  27 March 2014 by Louis Furlong   (USA)

February 7 2014, Caracas-Curacao-Aruba. The ticket was expensive for a short distance of little more than 1 hour total travel time. We experienced the following disaster: 3 Insel staff told me that a boarding pass would be issued to us for the Curacao-Aruba portion of our trip when we arrived in Curacao, instead of being issued in Caracas. In Curacao, no plane had been scheduled to take us to Aruba. No explanation was given about what transportation was available until we demanded answers. No flight numbers were ever posted in Curacao for the leg of my trip to Aruba. I received different versions of why my flight was not available from staff. After hours of negotiation with different airline staff, a flight was put together for us and other upset customers. It left late in the day and caused many persons, including us, to miss their connecting flights out of Aruba and to forfeit their tickets on other airlines. I arrived 3 days late to my destination in the USA.

INSEL AIR customer review :  17 March 2014 by J McManus   (USA)

My family just returned from a nice vacation at Curacao. We flew Insel Air from Charlotte NC direct to Curacao. No complaints regarding the outbound and return flights. The outbound flight was on time, and the return flight was ~ 30 minutes delayed. Insel's customer service was above par. Previously to taking the flight, I was sceptical about flying on Insel given some of the reviews, however, our experience was quite good so we will definitely fly Insel again.

INSEL AIR customer review :  22 January 2014 by Frans Stobbelaar   (Netherlands)

21 Jan 2014, BON-CUR-MDE. We booked a flight from Bonaire via Curacao with destination Medellin. The flight from Bonaire should leave at 7.55 am but had a delay of 1 hour and 15 minutes. The worst was the delay at Curacao: instead of leaving at 10.10am the new estimated time of departure is 4.30pm, a delay of more than 6 hours. If possible we will never choose Insel Air again, we will be happy to pay a little more for a reliable airline.

INSEL AIR customer review :  22 April 2013 by C Huge   (USA)

We just returned from a super week on Bonaire traveling both ways on Insel Air. The service by all airline staff from check in to leaving today was absolutely fantastic. On time for each stage for the trip from Charlotte and back. We were concerned after reading some earlier reviews, but our experience was top notch. Will fly again next time on Insel.

INSEL AIR customer review :  17 April 2013 by D Jansen   (Curacao)

CUR-SXM. Flight departed 10 mins early and good service on board. Snack and a beverage on a 1:15 flight. Overall very attentive cabin crew and friendly pilot. We arrived in St Maarten early, luggage already on the belt when we passed through immigration. Would recommend Insel air. They have improved a lot since last year.

INSEL AIR customer review :  13 February 2013 by Dave Walton   (USA)

Return flight from Curaçao to Charlotte was delayed a day. They fed us well, put us in a nice hotel overnight, handled all transportation, and got us on our way the next morning. Given their low cost and generous luggage allowance I would not hesitate to recommend them. I'd recommend building in an extra day's leeway for return travel just in case, regardless of which airline you fly.

INSEL AIR customer review :  28 September 2012 by Rachel Leroux   (Canada)

Flight from Charlotte to Curacao was an hour delayed, no reason given, that was minor compared to what happened next. Once airborne mechanical problems forced us back to Charlotte. That was fine, we got off in an orderly fashion, only to sit at the gate for what ended up being 10 hours. No one knew what was happening unless you went up and asked. Very few announcements were ever made. The airport shut down at 10pm so nowhere to buy water etc. Once a plane arrived, the skybridge would not fit. We had to climb down some stairs, walk across the tarmac and enter the back end of the plane. Everyone was by then exhausted and cranky. We ended out being awake for 39 hours straight as we had other connecting flights. We will never fly Insel again. Note, our return flight was an hour and a half delayed, no reason given.

INSEL AIR customer review :  9 August 2012 by B Stevens   (USA)

Have flown Insel multiple times from MIA to PAP. Good service, small but good meals served for free and ticket price is always better than others. Crew is friendly and helpful. MD-80 aircraft is older but comfortable and appears well maintained. Smooth, on-time flights every time I've flown with them. Looking forward to flying Insel again soon.

INSEL AIR customer review :  25 June 2012 by Yolaine Rameau   (Haiti)

As a professional and frequent traveler on other airlines I had tried Insel Air and was choked by the poor service and treatment given to passengers on flight from Miami to Haiti on June 19, 2012. An apology would be in order. Also, all announcements are made in English, there should be at least one Haitian hostess speaking both French and Creole. Hostesses on board were inexperienced. If Insel is not ready to service this line they should withdraw themselves until able to do so respectfully. Plane leaves full every time meaning that this route is profitable to the company. Hope my next review will be more positive.

INSEL AIR customer review :  1 May 2012 by Jose Hurtado   (USA)

Miami to Valencia Venezuela with stops in Curacao return. I have to say that all flights departed on time. Service was good. They served a small snack on the way to and from Miami. Planes were MD80's and looked a little old inside. Flight attendants were courteous and well dressed. Price was low ($780 round trip), which is the cheapest I've seen.

INSEL AIR customer review :  30 December 2011 by R Gorman   (USA)

Long Haul equipment is very old and run down MD80's. The interiors are dirty, baths filthy, and the seats worn out. We had a 10 hour maintenance delay. The gate agents were either uninformed or embarrassed to share updates. Everyone missed connections and were forced to find a hotel room in Charlotte at their own expense. The service was poor.

INSEL AIR customer review :  16 December 2011 by R Williams   (Aruba)

Curacao-Medellin. The outbound flight had a delay of 1 hr 15 mins, without warning. The single-cabin MD-83 was clean, with Christmas decorations and with a fresh smell. Although the crew appeared chaotic, the service was great. Fresh sandwiches, beverages and coffee were served free of charge. Medellin-Curacao. Departed with a 20 mins delay. The crew behaved professionally and a free breakfast was served. The flight was comfortable, uneventful and ended with a smooth touch-down in Curacao. Baggage arrived quickly on the belt. I would fly Insel Air again for the price, but I prefer Avianca because of the inflight entertainment and customer service.

INSEL AIR customer review :  16 December 2011 by A de Windt   (Netherlands)

I have flow Curacao-Valencia / Valencia-Curacao several times. I don't have much to complain about. The flight's usually didn't have delays and most of the delays were at Valencia where local authorities decided to increase security at the airport, causing delays in flights. Aircraft's look old (MD-82), but they are comfortable and clean, and the crew are friendly. We didn't have food or drinks inflight, I suppose it's because the CUR- VAL route is only a 30 min flight. You spend most of that time filling the Venezuelan immigration papers.

INSEL AIR customer review :  14 December 2011 by R Williams   (Aruba)

Aruba-Curacao-Aruba. The inter-island flights with a Fokker 50 had a delay on both legs. The cabin interior looked old with a few broken items in the cabin and filthy ashtrays. What I couldn't appreciate was the nasty smell coming out of the toilet and filling the whole cabin. The cabin attendant seemed grumpy. We had a smooth ride and a soft landing.

INSEL AIR customer review :  5 November 2011 by M Macdonald   (Canada)

Caracas-Curacao, Curacao-Charlotte. Every flight at least 2 hours delayed without warning. On the return flight (Charlotte-Curacao) the flight was delayed and ultimately cancelled. We were then shipped to Aruba on another airline (where we were forced to pay additional fees) and told by Insel employees that we would have to figure out our way home from Aruba. Their lack of organization, inability to maintain a timely schedule, and complete absence of reliable customer service makes this airline by far the worst airline I have ever encountered.

INSEL AIR customer review :  31 October 2011 by S Gordon   (USA)

Curacao to Bonaire. Informed the flight was 30 mins late before arriving at the airport, no further word after that. At the airport 12 of us were told our 5 pm flight "Didn't exist". We were kept waiting, with no information and no alternatives. Instead of arriving 5.25 pm in Bonaire, we arrived at midnight, after flying to Aruba first. Luggage arrived the following day. Needless to say we were frustrated and exhausted. This is not what we wait all year for.

INSEL AIR customer review :  4 October 2011 by G Beolchi   (Brazil)

Had two flights booked. BON-CUR was late but got us there. The other one CUR-AUA was delayed 4 hrs (should leave at 18.30 but was scheduled to leave at 22.30), because of that I lost my flight back home and had to buy tickets from Avianca at the last moment. Their aircraft's are not reliable, safety instructions are poorly conducted and the crew amateur at best.

INSEL AIR customer review :  20 September 2011 by M Sale   (USA)

Return flight scheduled for Curacao to Charlotte, first delayed and after six hours told it was cancelled due to mechanical problems. Two more hours before taken to a hotel, Insel said they would call with flight rescheduling however as expected, they never called. Finally got my travel agent to reschedule through Insel on USAir, Insel said they'd send a taxi to get us although this never arrived.

INSEL AIR customer review :  8 August 2011 by S Wright   (USA)

Pay the extra money and choose another airline. Port Au Prince, Haiti to Miami and the flight was scheduled to leave at 1020am. We finally left at 8pm! They had to lease a jet to bring the travelers from Miami and pick us up. During the long day of waiting there was one update and lots of misinformation. The website was never updated. They did feed us late in the afternoon.

INSEL AIR customer review :  9 July 2011 by Andre Franca   (Brazil)

BON-CUR-SXM. It was my first time flying Insel and I can say it was better than many other Caribbean airlines! Flights on time, snacks served after take off, and no tax or extra bag fees! The price was fair and some dollars cheaper than its competitors. Funny to listen the announcements in Papiamentu (only some thousands speak it?) Well I give Insel 3 and a half stars! Will fly them again!

INSEL AIR customer review :  7 July 2011 by Bliss Houston   (USA)

CLT-CUR. Check in was slow but it was their first week or so on this new route. Both legs the flights were smooth, not packed, staff was friendly. I felt like I had hit a time warp when they offered beverage a meal, food was decent. Only complaint the return flight rear bathroom could be smelled at least 2 rows away nasty!

INSEL AIR customer review :  4 January 2011 by C Deri   (USA)

Never had a worse experience! I booked my flight in August. Two days before my flight in December, Insel Air contacted me, telling me my flight had been cancelled in September! I had to do everything in my power to get us to Bonaire before Christmas, while the company had the attitude that it now was my problem, not theirs. Although all their airplanes are old, and I knew this upfront, flying back we had the oldest airplane I ever been in. Seats falling apart, dirty plane, dirty trays, dirty restroom and a pilot that clearly needed a few more lessons in take-off and landing. The plane smelled like sewer half way to Miami. I will never fly with Insel Air again.

INSEL AIR customer review :  13 June 2010 by Neil Rush   (UK)

Terrible airline - transferred me on to different flights even though booked months in advance - implying a schedule change but later found out that the original flights were still scheduled. Did not respond to my e-mails regarding this. Flight safety questionable with no safety briefing or clarification re persons sitting in exit rows. Would never use them again.

INSEL AIR customer review :  4 May 2010 : by V Rodriquez   (Germany)

Curacao to Aruba. Ground staff very friendly. Flights on time. The plane (Embraer) was old but the flight went well both times.

INSEL AIR customer review :  11 December 2009 : by John van den Berg   (n/a)

CUR-MIA-CUR MD-82. Check in took just a few minutes since I was very early at the airport. The check-in staff was helpful, however informed me of a delay of minimal 4 hours. The pax received a food voucher. The flight was fully booked and service on board was great. We even got a small meal. The return flight was on time, and as with the first flight the service on board was great, compared to American Airlines. Again a small meal and free beverage service. The planes look a bit old from the inside, but were very clean.