Hong Kong Airlines Passenger Reviews and Hong Kong Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2014 by Steven Cao    (China)

Shanghai Pudong-Hong Kong, then Hong Kong-Shanghai Hongqiao, both on A330-200 and delayed more than 1 hour. Seat comfortable and AVOD with a few movies. Cabin crew young and lack of experience, no newspaper provided like KA/CX, food awful and very tiny size, the only reason I fly with HX is their low airfare between Shanghai and Hong Kong.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by W Haruthai    (Thailand)

My route was BKK-HKG-Okinawa-HKG-BKK. All flights offered a bun and juice for meal, even lunch time! Due to typhoon no.19, the flight from Okinawa to Hong Kong was rescheduled without prior notice. The first rescheduling from 11.55 to 15.30 is acceptable but then it kept being rescheduled to 19.30 then 2.30 the next morning. Luckily, I decided to change my flight to the next day so I didn't need to spend a night at airports. All flights were delayed at least half an hour. My first and last time on Hong Kong Airlines.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  1 July 2014 by Tercon Bojan    (Singapore)

Hong Kong Airlines uses two types of planes on their Hong Kong to Bali route. An A330-200, which I flew on, as well as a newer A330-300. The -200 series has a 2-2-2 configuration in business class with angled lie-flat seats, which is good enough for this 4.5 hour flight. The service is good and the food choices reasonable. The IFE is old with not many movie choices, but for a regional flight that's quite decent. This was my first time flying them and I was pleasantly surprised. Although next time I will try and fly on the A330-300 which has a more modern 1-2-1 lie flat biz class seats.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by C Choi    (Hong Kong)

Round-trip from Hong Kong to Okinawa in Economy. The outbound flight was made on an A330 that was so old that there was no button on the armrest to turn the light on and off. (I remember this because a flight attendant who saw me reading asked me if I needed her to turn on the light.) The return trip was on a newer A330 equipped with the latest IFE. However, none of the Hollywood movies listed in the airline's magazine was available for viewing, so I occupied myself with its games. While this was only a 2.5-hour flight, full IFE was available when I flew with HKA on the even shorter route to and from Shanghai in 2012. Beverage selection was good, but food consisted only of a bun wrapped around some meat on both flights. Perhaps HKA expected its passengers to have eaten right before boarding? What HKA could do right before boarding is to board passengers by row number so that they won't have to form a long queue well before boarding begins and get in each other's way inside the plane. For short flights (three hours or less), I'd recommend HKA, but mainly because of price.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by W Maddicott    (Hong Kong)

Flew HKG to Bali return, and was really amazed by the level of service. Staff were attentive, and friendly from the moment I checked in. Staff had even gone to the trouble of memorizing my name, and used it in conversation. Very Chatty and good fun! Can't fault them at all, other than limited choices on the entertainment! Lie flat beds and massaging seats really completed the experience. No flight delays, couldn't ask for anything more!

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Colin Goddard    (Australia)

We had read a few reviews of Hong Kong Airlines and went with some trepidation to Hong Kong airport to check in to HX 775 to Bangkok on Tuesday, June 3. Do you remember the good old days when there were attentive check in staff and delightful personnel to greet you and look after you once on board? Well, that is exactly what we had from the moment that we arrived at the counter until we disembarked in Bangkok. We could not fault the airline at all. And, more to the point, we had exactly the same on our return to Hong Kong on HX 776 on June 9. Admittedly we were in Business Class (and I really recommend paying the extra to fly up front) but since the flights took off and landed on schedule and the crew were excellent all through, I doubt that anyone sitting behind us would have had any complaints. Well done, Hong Kong Airlines, we'll certainly fly with you again.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  20 May 2014 by Kris Ho    (Hong Kong)

HKG-TPE-HKG short trip due to super low fare and co-promoted with AMEX. Check in was smooth but located at far end at HKIA T1 Aisle K. Flight delayed for a relatively short period. Board the A330 at remote gate 523 was a chaos. Inflight service was okay, cabin crew young and friendly, but seemed inexperienced and lack of conversation. Food was the worst part of the journey. Good point was the A330 with AVOD and new, seat comfortable.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2014 by Audrey Sim    (Hong Kong)

I unfortunately encountered what HK airlines is most notorious for, flight delays, when I was flying Hong Kong to Taipei. The plane went on to circle around the airport for a good 30 minutes. They didn't provide a proper meal either (I guess because it is a short flight), and most of the inflight entertainment they promised was not delivered either. I could only use the TV after 45 minutes into the flight. On my return trip, we arrived 42 minutes before boarding, but they wouldn't let us on. Their terms and conditions stated CLEARLY that the counter will close 40 minutes before the boarding time. Staff just waved us off and told us to call their hotline. We requested to be put on the next flight, their staff told us "there is no next flight" and made us leave. We had no other alternative than to stay in a nearby hotel and pay an extra 300 USD for a one way ticket the next morning. To sum up our experience, we had a dilemma and clearly nobody bothered to help. I'll be sure to never take HK airlines again. Go budget, at least they're willing to assist.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by S Wing    (USA)

PEK-HKG-PEK - Really painless and quick check in on both ends. FAs were very attentive and were great communicators. A330-300 is in great shape and is a beautiful plane. Leg room isn't great in coach, but it was far from uncomfortable. Food is quite decent and the IFE was excellent. They had great English language selections - far more than could be watched in the ~4hr flight duration. Flight was slightly delayed from HKG to PEK, but captain agreed to wait for passengers arriving from a different flight - I don't mind being delayed <30 min if 20+ passengers don't miss their connecting flight to PEK. I thought that was a nice touch, despite not benefiting directly from it. Only paid $100 USD for this RT flight when paired with a Hainan Airlines RT flight from ORD-PEK. Definitely recommended.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by Minnitt Andrew    (Thailand)

We are aboard flight HX775 flying from Hong Kong to Bangkok on 16/04/14. It has been delayed by almost an hour already, firstly for a technical delay and then waiting for a passenger in transit. There has been very little communication and the internal crew have been clueless. If you're planning to fly with Hong Kong Airlines, do not expect to be on time. We were delayed by 45 minutes leaving Bangkok and heading to Hong Kong as well. Really not good enough.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by David Tsui    (USA)

I tried this airline for the first time on a plane from Beijing to Hong Kong. I arrived at the airline counter and they wouldn't let me on the plane because my ticket didn't have my middle name. The counter agents would not let me on until I called the booking agent to change my information. I had bought my ticket on the airline's website, so I had to call the same company even when their agents were standing right in front of me. I told them my situation and they charged me $300HKD to update my name information and would not budge on the fee and could not answer why it costs $300 to update my name besides continually citing "procedure." They wouldn't refund my ticket and said they would not let me on the next flight if I missed my current flight because of this issue. It felt like they were holding my travel plans and money hostage and were extremely unethical in their treatment of this issue. I would never use this airline again. I could understand if this was an issue out of their control, but their policy, service, and how they treat a customer is appalling.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  26 February 2014 by H Ives    (UK)

We flew as a family of 4 from Shanghai to Hong Kong and then the following week from Hong Kong to Beijing, and we were happy with the flights. The website was good and easy to use when making the booking. However I couldn't see anything about the luggage allowance. It turns out economy passengers are allowed 2 pieces of luggage - so our 5 suitcases between 4 was fine. The check-in was easy - with no queues at either check-in. The plane was modern with individual entertainment. We watched recent films on each flight. We were fed a meal on each flight which whilst not exciting - was fine, and the staff were pleasant and helpful. The prices are similar to European 'cheap' airlines, and yet the flights, service and comfort are all much better here. Would absolutely recommend if you need to use this airline.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by Anthony Sham    (Hong Kong)

Flight HX283 from TPE-HKG. Hong Kong Airline was the worst airline that I've travelled with. On the day we flew back to HKG, the flight was delayed due to a typhoon in HKG. The staff of BR (EVA air) served us well while we were waiting to board. In Hong Kong, the plane had to go-around 3 times, FA's had no explanations. I feel so disappointed with this flight.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2014 by Rich Jepson    (Hong Kong)

The worst airline I have ever travelled with, was delayed by an hour going to Hanoi and 2.5 hours coming back. No apology, no explanation for either journey. Was told I couldn't sit in the front seat with extra legroom (when the plane was loaded and locked) even though the seats were empty. The food was awful - literally bread and water, there was no inflight entertainment. Staff were okay but just operate like robots and don't actually care. I will never travel with HK airlines ever again, if you read this then I advise you to use a much more reputable company like Cathay/Dragon.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2014 by I Geddes    (UK)

Flew BKK to Hong Kong. Outbound received a complimentary upgrade to business class. inbound flight was full so stayed in economy. On both legs the service was excellent. Inflight entertainment in both sections was a pleasant surprise on such a short flight. Food was also better than that served on a lot of more prestigious airlines. Enjoyable experience.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by B Klug    (Germany)

HKG-PEK-HKG. First time on this carrier and quite surprised by the high standard. Good seats, good food and beverage service, nice cabin crew.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2013 by Hammarberg Tobias    (Denmark)

Worst airline company I have tried, and I travel a lot. The service was extremely bad, I flew from Hong Kong to Hanoi and back. Both flights were delayed with more than 2 hours each, in fact the flight from Hanoi was delayed more than 3 hours, even though its only a short flight. The crew at the destination and in Hanoi didn't do anything to solve the problem. So first and last time I am travelling with Hong Kong Airlines, service is a non existing word in this company.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2013 by Don Anderson    (USA)

Our flight Sanya to Hong Kong was over four hours late, resulting in missing our connection to North America, for which we had allowed five hours. A typhoon had blown through the day before, which they initially tried to claim as the cause, then eventually admitted it was a local ground operations issue. Nobody at Sanya airport had the ability to communicate competently in any language but Chinese and the Hong Kong Airlines staff on the ground admitted that they did not know why their plane was being held on the ground for three hours without boarding (there was not a mechanical problem).

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2013 by G Barr    (USA)

Bali to HKG in October in business class. Excellent all round given cost of ticket - flight was on time, comfortable business class seat, entertainment was not great but acceptable standard, and best of all - service was excellent. I had some trepidation having read some of the negative press on this airline but I was very impressed. Compared to the cheap airlines in Europe and America, HKA is a class above in my opinion.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2013 by J Liu    (Hong Kong)

Guiyang to Hong Kong, a terrible flight. First, the flight was delayed about 2 hours, they provided some food and beverages, which was appreciated, but the food looked terrible. Onboard, blank stares replaced the usual "welcome aboard", with only one flight attendant actually welcoming passengers. The seat was comfortable enough for a short hop, but it was on the hard side. When the meal service started, there was no choice of a drink, and the only sign of food was a terrible pork bun with the pork seemingly mashed together into 2 balls that looked as if they were compressed. There was also no in-flight entertainment. Setting aside the terrible welcome I received, the cabin crew were great, they were not robotic, and were friendly.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  7 October 2013 by L Scott    (China)

HKK-HKT return. Better than expected. Delayed one hour on the way to Phuket, which seemed to be because we were waiting for connecting passengers. IFE practically non-existent, just TV episodes on an overhead screen which I couldn't listen to as there were no headphones, but for a 3 hour flight, I don't really care. Cabin crew were pleasant. The return journey left on time, again with pleasant cabin crew and quite a decent breakfast was served. We landed early. My only real gripe was the highly annoying jingle which they played on a loop at top volume on the outward flight. All-in-all, decent value for money.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2013 by G Poun    (France)

HKG-TPE. The flight was good. It was a short flight and we arrived early. Good in-flight entertainment. No problems with the luggage.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  16 September 2013 by A Hong    (Canada)

HX529 September 12, 2013. Booked Hanoi - Hong Kong. On the departure day we had no idea the flight was cancelled, no communication from the airline whatsoever. We had to call the airline to see that the flight was indeed cancelled since the airline website was utterly useless and they tried to have us fly the next day which was unacceptable to us. We asked them to put us on the Cathay Pacific flight on the same day and they said they would call us back. A few hours went by and no word so we called them back. The woman on the phone had the audacity to say we had contacted them a few days ago to try to cancel our flight and get a refund which was a lie. Eventually they got us on the Cathay flight. This was a classic case of "you get what you pay for". We booked with Hong Kong Airlines to save some money but will do so again, we will rather spend the extra money for less stress and better service with other airlines such as Cathay.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2013 by Simon O'Connell    (UK)

Had booked Hanoi - Hong Kong - Hanoi, 4pax. Before even getting to Hong Kong, the return flight was cancelled 5 days before the original date of the flight, 'due to operational reasons'. Offered a flight with them for the following day which didn't suit our itinerary, then offered a flight the day before the original: again, this was cutting short our few days in HK. Left it with them to sort out another flight on the original day. No response by email or phone for several days. Went for the outward flight from Hanoi: all checked in and waiting at gate then flight cancelled due to 'operational difficulties' This was 10pm. They were going to put us up in some random hotel until the following day, same late evening departure, but after much waiting, protesting, following counter staff through the airport to collect bags and be re-admitted to Vietnam, some passengers with onward connections seeming to go off on another flight, they eventually got us on Thai Airways to Bangkok to get their own BKK to HKG flight at 02.30. So we got to HK at 06.00, about 8 hours late. I then had to make several calls whilst in Hong Kong to get them to sort out a return flight which eventually came through with Vietnam Airlines. I will avoid booking HK Airlines in future.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2013 by Ann Chung    (Hong Kong)

First and last time flying them. First time visiting Shanghai, choose HX because of their departure time (Friday night, back Sunday night). From HKG to Shanghai our departure time was supposed to be 9pm and land at 11.30pm. As we got to the departure gate, we were waiting to be called but it was 9.30pm and there was no announcement, ground staff told us delay was due to typhoon, after 5mins we got onboard but we were kept waiting (no announcements from Pilot). Told we would take off at 11pm, plane landed at 1.15am. On the flight back from Shanghai to HKG, departure time 9.10pm, we were informed there would be no delay, but again there was a long time waiting at the departure gate. Got onboard at 10.15pm and after doors were closed there was no signs of push back. At 11.30pm we finally took off and landed at 2.15am.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2013 by Claude Bernatchez    (Hong Kong)

June 29, flight HX775, departure 12.15, from Hong Kong to Bangkok and July 2nd, flight HX766, departure 20.25, from Bangkok to Hong Kong. Both flights substantially delayed (respectively more than 3 hours for the flight to Bangkok even if officially it was rescheduled for 14.30 and 2 hours for the Hong Kong flight), which needless to say, has been causing inconvenience. On the return flight, the delay was such that we arrived in Hong Kong at 2am. At that time of the night, the 'Airport Express' is not in service. I had to take a taxi. Adding to this, poor service at check-in for both flight exhibited nothing but incompetence and lack of organization. This was the first and the very last time I was flying Hong Kong Airlines, and I will not recommend it.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2013 by B Poon    (Hong Kong)

HKG-PEK return. Seats are comfortable enough. I especially appreciate the sensitivity of the Entertainment touch screen. Entertainment is enough. Cabin crew also serves well as I saw them being very helpful to teach another pax to use the goods sold on SkyShop. The only demerit I had to state would be lack of beverage. There's still improvement on the taste of breakfast (fried egg is unsatisfactory).

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  20 May 2013 by E Schwartz    (USA)

Purchased Business Class round-trip BKK-HKG-BKK, as they had the lowest fare and convenient times. However, for a business class product, it was not as good as other carriers on this route. On check-in, I was not offered the security/immigration "FastTrack" that I always get on other business class flights out of BKK. When I asked they said it was not available for my fare code. I found this unusual since I paid a full-fare, refundable fare. After further complaints, they gave me the FastTrack pass. I did get the invitation to a 3rd party Business Class lounge which was quiet and offered a fair selection of drinks, sandwiches, warm snacks and fruit. Flight departed 2.5 hours late, and there was no explanation. Onboard, the captain announcements sounded competent and assuring. A330 had nice lie-flat business class seats. The business class cabin was only about 20% full. The flight attendants were good and provided a nice friendly service, hot towels before departure and after meal. Had a nice hot Thai meal with white wine. Coffee wasn't very good. The entertainment system was not fully functional. The "Hollywood Movies" section had no movies, so I watched a Japanese movie with English sub-titles. On arrival at HKG we parked at a remote location and we had to take a bus to the terminal. This seemed inconvenient at first, but actually was quite nice as the bus takes you direct to the immigration area, and you don't have to take walk far or take the shuttle train. Overall, it was an ok Business Class product for the price, but not what one would expect from Cathay, Emirates, or Thai who fly the same route.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2013 by F Wong    (Hong Kong)

HKG to Sanya return. My outbound flight delayed an hour without announcement. Boarding was a little rushed and chaotic. A330 airbus, seating was not bad, even had AVOD (although mine didn't work). For a 90 min flight, all I got was a tiny hot dog wrapped in foil (not on a tray), a small cup of water, only one round of tea not even coffee. Absolutely no other drinks offered. It felt like a budget airlines, although the ticket price matches other carriers such as Dragon air or CX. Service was lukewarm. On return the plane was even smaller, they served a hot dog again, very stingy indeed, but I was prepared this time by eating before boarding. No IFE only overhead TV. I will only fly with them if their prices are cheap and there are no other choices for that route.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2013 by Brian Novotne    (USA)

Flew PEK-HKG in economy. The airplane itself was comfortable and new. Seating for economy was adequate enough, if not a bit generous! Entertainment options while limited were enough for 3 hours of flying time. Those were about the only 2 positives from this flight. Flight attendants were disengaged and not interested in passengers. It took 5, yes 5 different requests to get one beer from them. During the process of asking for the beer, one flight attendant rolled her eyes at us! Food for the flight was inedible. While the price may be right, I wouldn't go out of my way to fly them again.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  19 March 2013 by Colin Lusty    (Australia)

Flew last weekend from Shanghai (Hongqaio) to Hong Kong returning to Shanghai (Pudong). Was apprehensive after reading reviews on this site. Was pleasantly surprised, both flights boarded on time, there were the inevitable delays on taking off from both Hongqaio and Hong Kong but these airports are infamous for congestion. Both flights landed on time. Meals were good on both legs although no alcohol served which doesn't really matter on a 2 hour flight. Service was good on two full planes (A330's both ways). Good PTV although sectors not long enough to enjoy full movie-stuck to TV programmes instead. Overall pleased with the service provided-will fly them again.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  14 March 2013 by R J Fisher    (Hong Kong)

Return sector HX764, Phuket-Hong Kong. Business Class, 23 Jan 2013. Not advised of schedule change: Flight scheduled to depart at 03.30am. HX hotline advised flight was cancelled, Phuket handling agent advised flight would depart at 01.00am. No response from either as to why they had not attempted to contact me. Lounge facilities: On previous occasions use of the "coral Lounge" was provided. This time I was guided to a table at a small snack bar. Flight: Online check in revealed limited seating choice. In the event, I was alone in Business Class. One can assume that no one was notified of the schedule change, as Y class appeared lightly loaded as well. I was dozing, seat reclined listening to my ipod, when I heard the landing gear being lowered. I raised the window blinds, saw HK lighting: Seat back to upright, earphones off and noted that the cabin crew were absent [although I could hear them chatting] and that the galley curtain remained drawn. Overall: The lax attitude to passenger handling of high yield passengers is difficult to accept. This was not my first experience of HX 'Premium' service, however it has been my last.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  7 February 2013 by Richard Frost    (Hong Kong)

HKG-TPE-HKG. Outbound flight on time. Had Indian Vegetarian meal which was bland but a proper meal served on a 70 minute flight. New planes, seat back entertainment. Return flight delayed by 15 minutes, food much better from Taipei. It was the cheapest option and good value.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  18 January 2013 by J Klakayan    (UK)

BKK-HKG, Hong Kong Airlines was by far the best option for price and decent times. Very pleasantly surprised. Both flights on time. Decent meals onboard. Pleasant crew. Soft drinks, tea, coffee and beer offered. Decent range of in- seat entertainment for a short flight, including programmes in English. Maybe I was lucky, but I had a great experience on both legs.

Hong Kong Airlines Customer review :  14 November 2012 by Tommy Koo    (Hong Kong)

HX374 / HX375 from HKG - KWE (Guiyang, China). Flight delayed 30 minutes, they said it was due to the heavy traffic at HKIA. On return to HKG, the plane was delayed 3 hours, again the delay is because of the heavy traffic in HKIA. The "meal" onboard was only bread with ham - ridiculous.

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  5 October 2012 : by Mike Liam (Hong Kong)

From Hong Kong to Kaohsiung on HX 296. The check in process was efficient. I enjoyed their lounge. They offered the touch screen entertainment system in every seats. Though it was a short journey for only 1 hour, they still offered a pair of slippers for every passenger. The crew was nice and helpful with a nice cotton blanket. It will definitely be my first choice.

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  18 September 2012 : by Yip Cheuk (Hong Kong)

My first return flight Beijing-Hong Kong was cancelled due to bad weather and so as my replacement flight 2 days later (all 3 HK Airlines flight cancelled out of 4 total on that day). Impossible to contact any staff on the phone and no response for my voice and e-mails. I gave up after a couple days and travelled back with another company. Finally the company replied by e-mail yesterday after a few weeks saying they are sorry, weather beyond their control etc. and they offer a luggage belt as "souvenir" to compensate for all the inconveniences!

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  17 September 2012 : by A Smith (USA)

PEK-HKG. This was a very average airline and I would not go out of my way to fly them again. The seating felt very cramped, the flight attendants seemed to lack that high level of customer service, but again nothing that was hard to deal with. Not sure why an airline like this gets 4 stars where other airlines I've flown on international legs (Delta, United, etc) only get 3 stars. This didn't feel any better. If you get the right price though, don't hesitate to fly with them.

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  5 September 2012 : by P Hutchinson (Hong Kong)

I have booked to fly twice with this airline. both times flights have been cancelled. First time was in June, we were taking an early flight to Bali and was informed via e-mail with less than 48 hrs notice that the flight was cancelled and we were put on the much later flight. Very surprised to find that on the return flight there was no entertainment for the same 5hr flight? The second time, my wife and I and my wife's parents are booked to fly HKG - Hanoi on the 4th October 2012 and return Hanoi - HKG 8th October. I have received an e- mail today to say that both flights are cancelled, no apology and no advice on alternative travel options. I quickly looked for alternative flights that meet our requirements ( work in HK and domestic flights in Vietnam into consideration) and found one Dragon Air flight and one Cathay flight that suited. I called the Customer "help" line, suggested they transfer us to these flights to be told that HK Airlines do not have an agreement with Dragon Air or Cathay. They instead asked us to take HK Airlines flights one day before the outgoing and one day after the return date to which I said no. We will never be booking with HK Airlines again.

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  4 September 2012 : by Michael Spivey (Hong Kong)

Phuket-Hong Kong, August 29th. Aircraft arrived from HKG on schedule. Passengers boarded quickly and the plane left Phuket on time (02.45). Most passengers choose to sleep straightaway, but water, tea, coffee and a hot snack was offered. Arrived HKG ahead of schedule at 06.55. Plane parked on tarmac and bus to HKG immigration. Luggage arrived within 30 mins of landing. When this flight is on time I would say value for money. There are advantages to a night flight. But I can imagine the discomfort when this flight is delayed. A320 with 144 economy seats and 8 "business class."

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  30 August 2012 : by G Tudor (Hong Kong)

We had a weekend break from HKG to Phuket, and the flight was overbooked. 14 people were left without a seat on a plane holding at the most 300. This is a calculated approach by the airline - they know that they overbook, but continue to take the money. We were only flying away Friday, back Sunday, so the idea of arriving a day late - the offer made - was a joke. I would not recommend anyone flying this airline until the stop overbooking.

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  29 August 2012 : by Robert Wharmby (Hong Kong)

Last week I was flying to Beijing and they delayed the flight 5hrs, with the reason being that they needed a new plane? I had to fight for over 30 mins to be transferred to another flight (Dragonair). Was finally transferred and thought that would be the end of that, however on the return flight two days later the same excuse was used and there was another 3 hr delay on the return. The thing that made my blood boil wasn't the lack of organization or the pathetic excuses they made, it was the ground staff who rolled their eyes and tutted when I complained and asked to be put on a flight that was leaving on time. I also spoke to other passengers and they had delays of up to 10hrs, with the same level of service. If this level of service continues, and the amount of delays this airline experiences remains, then I think this is an airline will soon be out of business.

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  13 August 2012 : by Willy Valette (UK)

London-Hong Kong Route. Originally booked a return flight for late August/Sept 2012. Found out by chance that Hong Kong Airlines is to suspend this route last week. Tried to check on their website, in need all flights has been 'Sold Out'. Tried to call directly to their offices in HK, where no one ever anyone picks up the phone! Called their London office, staff wouldn't give out any information at all, they only say they are doing re- scheduling and cannot give any further info. None of the passengers bought tickets have been contacted! Extremely poor communication and 200% un-reliable. Luckily I bought my ticket through Expedia, called them and they, in turn contacted the airline and confirmed that the London Hong Kong route is suspended indefinitely from Sept! Expedia managed to get the airline to refund the ticket price in full! but this will take 2-12 weeks! very inconvenient! Will never use even for a short Asian trip!

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  10 August 2012 : by J Tai (China)

Round trip flight: Beijing-Hong Kong-Taipei, Taipei-Hong Kong-Beijing. Every single flight delayed. PEK to HKG supposed to depart at 7.40 am, instead delayed until 9 am due to plane maintenance. Because of this, I missed the connecting flight to TPE which was scheduled for 12 noon. I had to wait until 5 pm for the next flight - also delayed more than an hour. Coming back TPE-HKG only delayed 20 minutes. HKG-PEK, at first I was notified the flight had been changed from 8.15 pm departure to 7.30 pm. I arrive for the 7.30 departure to find out the flight is delayed until 8.50 pm. It is currently 8.30 pm and they have not started boarding yet. When asking for an explanation for flight delays, you get the usual "the previous flight was delayed" or "there were airport issues". Flying with them has been the worst experience I've come across in all my travels.

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  8 August 2012 : by A Wilianto (China)

Had several flights with HKG Airlines in the past year, and every single one of them was delayed. The worst one was last night, supposed to fly out HKG-PVG at 9.30pm but did not take off until 1am! Their excuse? Always the same, due to the late arrival of the aircraft. Ground staff last night even tried to lie by saying there was a thunderstorm in Shanghai which I knew from a friend in SH and the weather forecast that there was no thunderstorm. Since we will not arrive in Shanghai until 3am due to the delay, ground staff in HKG promised there will be shuttle buses provided from the Pudong airport to four different downtown locations in Shanghai. What happened when I arrived in PVG? The promised services do not exist! It was almost 4am and no one we can talk to. Some of us tried to stop flight attendants who were marching out of the terminal to find the answer, again with no success. In the end we had to catch and pay for our own taxi. Agreed with other passengers, not worth the money at all, and will not fly with them again.

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  2 August 2012 : by J Wallace (UK)

Delayed 14 hours supposedly because of the bad weather both in Hong Kong and China, but other airlines managed to take off with a delay of about two hours. Communication terrible and there were numerous updates (17.00, 20.30, 23.00 and 01.00 ) followed by further cancellations despite being told the new time was confirmed. Destination countries were not told about changes so my driver also waited 14 hours and even staff at the gates did not know what was happening. I have since been looking on the Internet and delays are still up to six hours which is unacceptable. A miserable start to my trip, plus I missed a night at a hotel.

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  16 July 2012 : by Michael Barry (Australia)

Shanghai PVG to Hong Kong. A330-200. Check in experience was good. Given priority service due to being injured and on crutches. A wheelchair was arranged and I was escorted through immigration to the aircraft for early boarding. FA's were friendly, helpful and provided very good service. Good choice of entertainment for a short flight. 2 choices for the lunch service was a pleasant surprise. Quite happy with the amount of leg room in the seats for economy. Had a stand off position upon landing in HKG and had to try and make my way off the aircraft using the stairs, after I was told that there would be a lift organised. Staff were very helpful with their assistance in getting me off the plane and on the bus. A wheelchair was waiting at the terminal and I was again escorted by staff through immigration, baggage claim and out to the exit. A very pleasant experience overall. The only negative though, the flight was delayed by about an hour.

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  3 July 2012 : by D Day (Hong Kong)

Took HKG Airlines twice, ie 4 flights, and every single one was delayed. 'Best' was 1hr delay, worst 7.5 hrs (arrived in Bali at 6am instead of 10.30pm. Can't fault the ground staff but the airline has some serious organizational problems. Never going to fly them again - any dollar saved you need to spend triple in food at airports, taxi late at night etc.

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  27 March 2012 : by J Wong (Hong Kong)

HKG-LGW. Took Hong Kong Airlines new club classic, after 4th day of launch. Food was great with lots of superb choices, seat was very good with soft cushioning and comfortable recline. Received Bvlgari amenity kit. Aircraft was A330-200. There was a bar which served lots of wine and beverages. Inflight entertainment was good, although some sections were still under construction.

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  27 March 2012 : by C Choi (Hong Kong)

Roundtrip from Hong Kong to Shanghai in economy. IFE, including VOD, was extensive, but the 2 hour flight each way didn't allow me to fully enjoy it. Food was average, but adequate. The beverage selection was somewhat limited. Service was good. On the return trip, my flight was delayed for 2.5 hours.

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  20 March 2012 : by Kitty Thomas (Thailand)

BKK-HKG-BKK, Business Class. Very surprised that this airline did not offer any alcoholic drink throughout the flight. On the way back to BKK, there were no movies at all, only TV programs. Service was very slow and inefficient. Food worse than mediocre. The only thing I liked was the seat - it's angled-lie flat, yet comfortable. For a flight of 2.5 hours, I would prefer to fly economy class with TG or CX. This was not worth the money.

Hong Kong Airlines customer review :  27 December 2010 : by Brent Anderson (New Zealand)

Hong Kong - Sanya return. Great airline, attentive crew, modern aircraft and comfortable seating for short flights. Business lounge in Hong Kong is brilliant for such a small airline. Unable to fault the service or experience. Some bigger airlines could learn a great deal from them.

HONG KONG AIRLINES review :  12 March 2009 : by B Lam  (Hong Kong)

Very good check-in experience at the Hong Kong airport, staff very helpful and friendly. I was also impressed by how organised and quick boarding was.

HONG KONG AIRLINES review   27 December 2007 by Edward Hahn    (Hong Kong)

Our first time flying them from Hong Kong to Hanoi. They were on time in both directions. Cabin Crew were polite and efficient . They served a hot meal on a 90 minute flight. No small task. The agents and ground crew in Hong Kong were from Jardines and very good. The same cannot be said for the Vietnam agents. They seem confused and were not helpful. Their fleet of B737-800s seems fairly new. Seats were a little narrow but had good leg space. Ticket cost was about 40% of the Cathay Pacific price.

| Home | Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking | Airport Ranking| Advertise | Surveys| Site Map| Contact Us | Links |