Air Canada

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"seats have easy storage"

Trip Verified | Air Canada North America Business Class is a product that does not compare to any other airline found in Canada. Their meals are plated with silverware, and are accompanied with bread and butter, a salad, and dessert. All seats have easy storage, a nice video monitor, and large legroom. The service is a bit slow, as it takes a while to get a top up on my drink.
Aircraft TypeEmbraer 190
Seat/bed Width 12345
Seat/bed Length 12345
Seat Privacy 12345

"Seats are awful"

Not Verified | 5'9 230#, wife is 5'5 170#. Long haul Toronto to Sydney return. Both flights same aircraft In the row of 4 there are 5 metal obstruction, either seat supports or rails to keep your feet out of the aisle. This configuration means there are only 2 large wells for bag stowage, shared by 4 people. This means if anyone plans to use the underseat stowage, you all lose footspace. There are several 120V charge ports under there as well, with sharp corners, positioned to stab you in the shin if you move your leg. Since every person in the row straddles a seat support, you all share footwells; you get to play footsies with a perfect stranger. I'm sure they love that. But the worst part is the recline position. Reclining the backrest, moves the seat forward and up at the front, to create more of a bucket seat. However, this puts your legs into an impossible position. There is no way to stretch out. Simply picture it. The seat cushion is pointing up, while your legs point down. It doesn't work so well. Fully reclined was unusable for me. Speaking to others at the bathroom, other passengers agreed. Seats are awful.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200
Seat Layout3x4x3
Date FlownMarch 2019
Seat Storage 12345

"Boeing 787-9 is poorly configured"

Trip Verified | Boeing 787-9 is poorly configured that passenger comfort is given the least importance. Seat width and seat pitch of 30 inch is too tight for long flight. Seats are too thin and springy. Also long lines at the washrooms.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787-9
Date FlownJanuary 2019
Seat Storage 12345

"787 seats are too narrow"

Trip Verified | The Boeing 787 seats are too narrow. Its small to the point you cant get comfortable for the 9hr flight. Don't get me wrong. Im not expecting the best, but this is stupid. I flew last year and I thought it was in my head. But this time around its really the seats. Im 5'8, 160lb medium/slim build. My arms, elbows are too wide for the seat. In a Aisle seat my shoulder kept being hit. Its hard to rest you neck/head. The designers did a bad job of the ergonomics of the body sitting for 9 hours and how people sleep. The service of the airline is great.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787
Date FlownJanuary 2019
Seat Storage 12345

"no space for cabin luggage"

Trip Verified | The flight was too cramped up with no space for cabin luggage. My cabin bag had to be kept in the business class as they had no space. I remember pressing the button for air hostess help at least 4 times and every time no body showed and the request button was reset. Overall a bad experience and I would not recommend travelling with Air Canada.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777 300 ER
Seat Layout3x4x3
Date FlownDecember 2018

"most uncomfortable seats"

Trip Verified | We travelled Air Canada from Montreal to LAX yesterday in Business Class. The plane is a new Boeing 737. It seems like Air Canada is following the Rouge tradition by having the most uncomfortable seats imaginable even on a brand new plane. The thickness of the back cushion is very thin and there is a horizontal rod that is placed it seems to cause maximum discomfort. This flight is 6 hours! The foot rests are also extraordinarily cheap and won’t go down unless you get on your knees and manipulate it manually. Also, just like horrible Rouge, the seat posts are positioned so that you cannot store any hand luggage in front of your seat . The middle section has to be shared by seat neighbors. Air Canada used to be our favorite airline and now we have advised our travel agent to research any alternative to Air Canada and Rouge.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-800
Seat Layout2x2
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Avoid the Boeing 787"

Trip Verified | The Boeing 787 has the worst configuration and uncomfortable seats. Aisles and seat width is too tight for the average passenger on long flights. Seat pitch is limited to 31 inch and you can barely stretch your legs. Avoid the Boeing 787 aircraft.
Aircraft Type787
Date FlownNovember 2018

"seats are very narrow"

Trip Verified | The most uncomfortable long haul flight I have been on. I was seated in row 38, an aisle seat on the Boeing 787-9. I am fairly close to average size (barely 6 feet tall and 185 pounds), so not tiny but neither am I a giant by any means. My knees were just about touching the seat in front of me, the seats are very narrow, and thankfully the passenger seated in the middle seat was not large but he did fill the seat and needed all his elbow room. The seats are very short, offering little or no support to the thighs. This adds to the discomfort, particularly on a long flight. I could not stretch both my legs out fully at all while seated. Trying to use some of the aisle is next to impossible due to the extremely narrow aisles. There is barely room for the refreshment carts to pass. I spent a great deal of time on the flight moving my arm and shoulder inwards as the carts and other passengers were passing and bumping into me and there was no space. Seat backs are very thin and offer no support either. Due to all the factors mentioned, I found sleep to be impossible. The passenger at the window seat managed about an hour's sleep but basically had the same complaint, and needed muscle relaxers for her back towards the end of the flight. Anyone getting out of their seats found it necessary to pull on the seat in front of them for balance and leverage. For relief, I got up to stand and stretch at the rear of the plane 3 times on the eastbound flight and 4 times on the westbound leg. Also, on the outbound flight, our connection was a little late so we went straight to board our London flight without buying snacks, etc. Be warned, we found out on board that in economy you cannot buy snacks. You have to content yourself with the dinner and continental breakfast and I think you get a very small bag of pretzels with a drink. Cabin is beautiful. The in-flight entertainment system was excellent, although some people were asking why wi-fi was not available. The selection of movies, TV programs, and interactive games was OK for me. In summary, I will do everything I possibly can to avoid using this aircraft again. If it even means connecting through another city, I will do it. Three days later, I am still feeling the effects.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787-9
Date FlownOctober 2018

"seats extremely uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Boeing 787 seats are extremely uncomfortable. Seat padding is thin and you can feel it on your back. On the other hand seat pitch and width is too tight. Basically this aircraft was designed for 8 abreast but airlines have squeezed 3x3x3 adding an extra seat. Aisles are so narrow that you continuously get bumbled by trolleys/passengers. Avoid this aircraft and try to use Airbus 330/350 if possible, because fuselage is about a foot wider with same number of seats
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787
Date FlownOctober 2018
Seat Storage 12345

"choose seat due to extra legroom"

Trip Verified | This review is based on exit row 31 on the Boeing 787-8. I was in seat 31J from Vancouver to Brisbane, a nearly 15 hour flight. I specifically chose this seat due to the extra legroom it provided. On this particular flight it was $150 extra to select the seat as it is classified as preferred (not to be confused with premium economy). When we boarded the plane there was a small overhead bin above our row that was able to fit all of my and my partners bags (2 backpacks, a suit bag and a shopping bag of snacks) as we were unable to store anything for takeoff. I was expecting brief instructions from one of the flight attendants on how the emergency door worked as we were right beside it however this never happened, I assume because there was a flight attendant jump seat facing us on the other side of the exit. Once the flight took off and the seatbelt sign was off we were able to get a few things from the overhead bin above and had no issues from the flight attendants storing the on the floor, we just made sure there were right against our seat so as to not block the emergency exit. The tray tables were in the armrests which made it difficult to get too if the person beside you was asleep with their arm on the opening. The entertainment screen was a folding arm below the armrest that swung up in front of you. For me it was not high enough and it did not quite sit centred in front of you which was slightly annoying.There were also 2 power supply outlets located on either side of the middle seat, nearly at the ground. I consider myself a tall with an average build (190cm 90kg, 6' 2" 200lb) but the seats were exceptionally comfortable compared to other economy seats. The recline was average and the moveable headrest was ideal for someone as tall as I am. With the new 787s the seats recline in a way where your seat moves forward slightly when you recline the back. I can see this being an issue when you already have limited legroom, but for this seat it was a nice touch as it seemed to be more comfortable than just the back reclining. The extra legroom was the true winner though. You basically had unlimited legroom as the next row of seats was about 1.5 to 2 meters away. I could stretch my legs out as much as I want and with the unique way the seats recline I believe it was the most comfortable you could be trying to sleep in a seated position. The biggest downside was that in the centre was the washrooms, one on each aisle. Although you could not smell anything for the duration of the flight, the door was quite loud when people let is slam. Also people would line up for the washroom in the area directly in front of you. At one point in the middle of a deep sleep a gentleman tripped over my legs as he was waiting in line and fell right on top of me! Other than that the flight went smoothly, I just put some earplugs in and that drowned out most of the people, children and washroom door slamming. I managed to get about 10 hours of sleep in 2 different periods, which made the 15 hour flight fly by.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787-8