Zurich Airport

"worst experiences at an airport"

Trip Verified | This was one of my worst experiences at an airport. As we had to take a Rapid Antigen Test, we arrived 2.5 hours early. There were no signs as to where you can find the Test Centre. We had to walk a long distance to get there just to find a massive queue. For about half an hour there was only one receptionist and we advanced just 10 steps so we really started to worry that we are going to miss the boarding. Right behind us there was a very arrogant young man without a face mask and the person at the reception didn't say a word about it, neither did the person at the registration desk. When I told him that face masks are compulsory, he said 'Go back to England or wherever you came from'. After 1.5 hours, we were tested and we ran to the gate. We arrived there literally in the very last minute but after boarding the plane was delayed as we had to wait for 5 more people who had their tests done. Just 5 days earlier, the PCR test took 5 minutes at Heathrow Airport, in Zurich you can't register for the Antigen test, only for the PCR which is absolute nonsense. We flew to Zurich to say goodbye to a close relative who died there. We were in a lot of stress and grief already but this just topped everything.
Date VisitApril 2021

"never, ever, have I had an experience like Zurich"

Trip Verified | My experience in the security line of Zurich Airport was traumatizing! The incident was summer of 2019, not this summer, but I am still moved to make a review, in part because I want to read the other reviews to see if my experience was a common one. I queued at the security checkpoint with the small rolling bag that I had brought with me from LA and had used as carry on from LA to Heathrow, then to Dublin, and Dublin to Munich. I had taken a bus from Munich to Zurich so luckily I dealt with them only once. The point being that all of the contents of my bag through each of these destinations were fine, but Zurich did not like my face cleanser because it was in a 150 ml container. They went through my bag of liquids and checked each size stamp and then proceeded to throw it away before I convinced them that I needed to put some of it in another container at least, because it was expensive stuff. The young man and older woman sneered at me but let me do it, so I tried to move into another line because I knew they would pick on me, but they pulled me out of the line I was in, and had me wait in theirs, which was longer. I had moved a quarter of it into my other container, which previously held conditioner. When I finally got to the screening, I was prepared, so I moved in front of a slower moving couple, and the man and woman behind the counter told me not to cut in line, and sent me back to the end of the line. I did not cut them by European and American standards, they were one ahead of me, and were going slow, while I was prepared and fast. The man in front of me asked if I wanted to take his spot, because it was clear I was distressed, but I told him no, I would prefer not to, because the couple behind the counter would likely bully me for "cutting." When I finally got to the pair they threw my face wash away (with glee and making sure that I saw how much power they had), and then smiling, wished me a safe trip and a good day. I was so furious in part because by this time, I was late for my flight, and by the time I got to my gate, the plane was boarded and they had to cab me out all on my own which was humiliating. I have flown a lot in the states and in Europe (in 2019 I was on a plane twice a month) but never, ever, have I had an experience like Zurich.
Date VisitJune 2020

"Extremely disappointing"

Trip Verified | Extremely disappointing! After duty-free shops, you have to pass a passport control even we all are in Europe and only one huge line fo European Citizens, no one E-gate open! Then it's no warning that after passport control you still need to take a train! Really you have to warn clients that after bag security check you need at least an hour to get till the gate! No one cares and no one helps, no one let you in front if your boarding has started! Not only me but I saw other people who rushed to the flight, no warning that it's a long journey till gate and no help from airport staff! Shame on you! Switzerland supposed to be high standard country and so cheap heartless action from airport staff! Thank you for helping me to miss my flight on Valentine's day and my husband instead of valentines dinner was forced to provide me with another ticket! No one cared, no one took responsibility for this!
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"generally a comfortable airport"

Trip Verified | The largest airport in Switzerland is generally a comfortable airport but the whole design is a bit dated (70s style). Security checks are ok and efficient. Border control is friendly and competent. Signage is generally ok but can be confusing sometimes. There are tons of luxury shops and duty-free shops around, most overcharge you. Transportation is very convenient, like trains, trams and bus options readily available. Transfering at this airport is generally ok, but be aware that distances can be big.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"confused with the signage"

Trip Verified | This is my third review of the Zurich airport. It still is not my favorite airport to navigate. Prepare for a lot of walking, a queue for passport control, and to get confused with the signage.

"So disappointed"

Not Verified | Got my duty free stuff confiscated! I have taken connecting flights numerous times throughout the world and have never had my duty free items, bought from the origin country, confiscated, as it happened today at the Zurich airport. I am surprised that the authorities do not understand that duty-free means it has been bought from inside the airport and it doesn't pose any harm. I bought such a special bottle of wine for my friend in Canada (destination), but wonders of Zurich airport authority, it was taken away. I haven't encountered this anywhere else. So disappointed and upset with this incident. I thought the Netherlands is a vacation destination, but with such insensible rules and regulations prevalent here, I am never stepping foot in this country. Well, from now on, not even for a connecting flight.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"Slowest Airport in history"

Not Verified | Slowest Airport in history. Badly laid out and baggage reclaim is the slowest I have ever experienced. Waiting forever, no one is collecting any of these bags, are these not from our flight? Chaos.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"deserves to be in top-10"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Overall, a great airport which deserves to be in top-10 of the world. My best impressive was about the observation deck and the airport tour. With only 5CHF, you can stay hours to watch airplanes on and off. Also, a 90-minute bus tour is available with 10 CHF, which allows you to watch every single corner of the airport, and stop for 30 minutes at a very good viewpoint to take awesome videos of airplanes taking off. The airport is huge with a lot of shopping. I tried some restaurant there and the food was tasty.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"prices are outrageous"

Not Verified | Airport was very nice but the prices are outrageous! I flew from Heraklion to Zurich then a 4-hour layover for the flight home to the US and wanted to get a good meal. A Burger King whopper meal is 17 Swiss francs which is more than double the price in the US. A burger at the sports bar is 26 francs and you even pay extra for cheese. I chose to fly hungry instead of spending the ridiculously high price. Then we went to our gate early since we had so much time and then they rounded all the people up to move back through a checkpoint because they had nobody set up there when we all passed through. A complete head scratcher there. If I ever fly through Europe again I will avoid Zurich!
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Unbelievable is all I can say"

Trip Verified | Unbelievable is all I can say. I would make a connection in Afghanistan before I'll go back to Zurich. Arrived three hours early for a connection on Swiss Air to Swiss Air and almost missed our flight. No organization at all, long queues, people cutting in lines, old folks crying, tempers flying. Standing in lines for three freeking hours. Rude, ill informed employees and nothing but chaos. Why the Swiss who make the world's best watches make the worst airports is beyond me.
Date VisitSeptember 2019