Zurich Airport

"really clean and has good maintenance"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | The airport is really clean and has good maintenance. The airport has changed a lot in the last few years, as I visited several times, and flying with Swiss became easier and more efficient. There is a nice selection of food and beverage shops as well other nice boutiques. They are also providing free Wi-Fi but it's not working in any point of the airport, neither next to the gates or in other places, this is a really big negative.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"providing little to travellers"

Not Verified | I selected Swissair for RT travel to South Africa thinking Swiss = efficiency. Wrong, Swiss = cheap. Had 10.5 hour lay over at Zurich Airport on my way to South Africa and 3.5 hour lay over on my way back to home. Here is what I experienced. While the airport itself was clean, it appeared to be mostly because there weren't anything in place for the travelers. In comparison, Johannesburg had a lot of stuff for the travelers. My assessment is that while Swissair and Zurich airport make profit by marketing "frugality & efficiency" (= cheap- & busy-ness) by providing as little to the travelers as possible (even restrooms were difficult to access). Johannesburg makes profit by providing as much as possible to the travelers. Also, while airport and security staff at Johannesburg were friendly and professional the ones at Zurich were terse, rude, and comical (perhaps that's their way of being professional). They were cheap on words, facial expressions, and explanations. Many of them swarmed around chattering to themselves, so I had the impression that they are socialized people. Whatever the issues, I found both airport and security staff at Zurich to be comical. Some examples, a male airport staff told I can get a limited free wifi code scanning my boarding pass at the Internet cafe, but there was no such scanner. I then asked a female staff and was summarily told "use your SMS card to get internet". An "aha" moment, Swiss frugality = don't provide any services for free. A female security staff got irritated with me because I did not see the "signs for Terminal E that's all over the airport". I told her with a big smile that I must've missed every one of them. A male security staff almost made a teenager (sounded to be from North America) almost cry because he proceeded to use his tiny Swiss Army knife to cut through a beautiful gift box. I guess to see if it contained liquids. She pleaded with him to stop and offered to show him her receipt from the duty free shop. He hesitated a while then gave back the gift box, now plastic wrapper sliced open. He did look at the very long receipt, but I don't think he knew which item it was. All in all, Zurich terminal was like shopping at Target (minus friendly smiles). You're getting fleeced. Johannesburg terminal was like shopping at Super-Walmart. Somethings not entirely right with all the made in China, but the prices are right. I won't review Swissair service as that would be redundant. Just think Zurich terminal, except a crammed flying can with same mannerisms and bad food. Oh, the tiny entertainment screen was not working properly, and the flight attendant knew. I hear KLM/Amsterdam, BA/Heathrow, Emirate/Dubai and Qatar/Doha are good.
Date VisitJune 2018

"washrooms are very few in number"

Trip Verified | Zurich Airport is fairly large. However there are almost no places/counters where you can get any information (I found none at all). Unlike most airports, the entire shopping area (barring a couple of standard small duty free stores selling chocolate/perfume/trinkets and the like) is located before immigration! I missed out on shopping at the airport due to not knowing about this. The washrooms are very few in number given the high volume of passenger footfall.

"had an awful wait"

Trip Verified | Have been extremely disappointed with its customs clearance, especially since its implementation of the electronic clearance for EU, EEA and CH nationalities. It seems they have forgotten that there are those who have resident permits and we were literally pushed aside with the tourists. I flew in from London last night and had an awful wait of 1 and a half hours before leaving customs to collect my luggage. Like the previous reviewer mentioned, organization was rubbish. There were easily a few hundreds of us converging towards 3 customs counters when they could have opened 3 more. Also, why weren´t residents with L, B and C permits go through the electronic clearance? The customs officer cleared me no different from that of the machines! Worst experience ever for a world traveler.
Date VisitJune 2018

"mixed feelings about this airport"

Not Verified | To be honest I have mixed feelings about this airport, since so many people say it is gorgeous, I still don't find that excellency everybody is talking about. I haven't visited the famous terrace where you can spot the planes landing and taking off so this might change my mind. It seems to me that it is working at full capacity and there are always a lot of people transiting which makes it not that popular. But still, it is easy to navigate and almost all the times it is efficient when waiting in lines. Not my favorite though.
Date VisitMay 2018

"use the help from the staff"

Not Verified | I was flying London - Zurich - Mumbai by Swiss Air. I had always thought Swiss is a premium airline but the experience made me believe that as well. I got into Zurich Airport and the staff were very friendly. I could instantly get wifi when I spoke to a staff member from customer services. The airport has a huge mall adjoining it which houses many cafe's, one post office, places to shop etc. There are two arrivals, 1 and 2 where you can ask your uber to come and collect you, but if you are really confused, use the help from the staff and they can definitely guide you around. The washrooms are really clean I would definitely recommend waiting around / stopping over at this airport if need be.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"unfriendly service at the airport"

Trip Verified | WiFi registration complicated and not suitable for tourists. The airport is not considering data privacy, asking people for a lengthy registration, and not possible without finding internet access machines which nobody knows where they are! I have seen so many people unable to log on, even in emergencies. When I tried to connect, as a computer network engineer, I got so aggravated by the unfriendly and inquisitive process, that I decided to quit. All my friends visiting from abroad complain about this unfriendly service at the airport and at public transport stations in general in Switzerland. Also, I frequently travel, arriving in the early hours of the morning from outside the Schengen area. Only 50% of passport control capacity is used, and many flights arriving at the same time cause very long queues and waiting for tired passengers. Sometimes it is so bad that people are standing far out in the back, and no queues can be formed any more!
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"Airport has improved a lot"

Trip Verified | Zurich Airport has improved a lot within the last decade. It looks clean. The clear located signposts direct you to your gate or wherever you wish to go. The Toilets are clean. But, unfortunately the shops are clearly overpriced. E.g. tax-free shops take the liquid regulations to milk the customers. They take advantage of the international law! I'd rather get my liquids before in the City and put them into the checked-in luggage. If you get thirsty you'll spend a lot just for 1/2l of mineral water. A typical price (take away) is SFr. 5! You should look out for the Kiosks with a red "K". Summery: spacious Airport which is kept clean with a efficient Security inspection. Friendly, multilingual staff. But: the money-mad shops airside are not worth to get visited. Just avoid them. This includes the Restaurants as well.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"expensive food and beverage"

(Romania)

Not Verified | Avoid Zurich Airport at all costs. Expensive food and beverage, rude staff, useless passport controls and redundant stamping on blank boarding passes, random police “interviews”. Also, Security staff are frustrated people set on a power trip, raising non-issues over liquids in carry-on.

"Very nice airport"

(Hungary)

Trip Verified | Very nice airport, big, spacious, clean, clear sings for directions. Changed planes here and spent a few hours here. Had breakfast too. Very nice international staff, speak all kinds of languages. If you speak English, you will never be lost here.
Date VisitDecember 2017