Washington Dulles Airport

"Terrible experience at Passport Control"

Not Verified | Terrible experience at Passport Control. Insane that this problem has been going on for months (read other reviews) with no improvement. I got through in an hour because the kid managing the line made a mistake and put me through with the diplomats. Others waited for 2-3 hours. Part of the issue is the constant stream of airline personnel (pilots, attendants) being ushered to the head of the line. We'd see one crew take 20 minutes to finish, then here came another crew. As other reviewers have said, there were empty seats for more customs agents. Those agents that were there couldn't have cared less. I can't blame them. If management isn't working, why should they? I gotta find another airport for international travel.

"Staff were indifferent"

Not Verified | Horrible experience at passport control. 2 booths were open for most of the time. Waited almost 3 hours to get through. Staff were indifferent. I was embarrassed to be an American by the lack of respect for everyone’s time.

"It was disgusting"

Not Verified | The ticketing/boarding agent prior to our boarding was the most unprofessional human I’ve ever seen. He yelled at an elderly women for not knowing what group she was to board. I spoke up and said you are being extremely rude and he yelled at me by saying he wasn’t being rude. We were the ones in the wrong. It was insane! He literally kept arguing with us! I have flown a lot in the last few years and I have never had an experience even remotely similar to that. It was awful! He owes that sweet elderly woman and myself an apology! It was disgusting!

"badly operated airport"

Not Verified | When I saw the bus on the tarmac I thought it was a joke I couldn’t believe that they do not only put us in an old dirty and noisy bus but also makes us wait until got full. I was traveling in business class and the chief flight attendant asked the bus driver if this bus will be only for biz class customers. Right? He answered. Nope. We will fill it out. After waiting and waiting we finally start moving and doing half a dozen stops on an active runway (not safe at all). Once at the terminal immigration officers were fine (I went through Global Entry). And the nightmare continues at the baggage claim where we waited for 45 minutes to get our “priority” bags. I will never fly again to that outdated and badly operated airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Only 3 to 6 screening agents"

Not Verified | 90-120 minute wait to pass through customs for American passport/green card holders on Labor Day 2019. Only 3 to 6 screening agents were working on one of the busiest travel nights of the year, with at least half the booths designated for American passport/green card holders empty. An airport this poorly designed and inconvenient to downtown can’t afford to be so poorly run. Will pay extra to fly into BWI or DCA next time.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Badly designed airport"

Not Verified | Very bad experience. Customs and immigration incredibly inefficient. Not enough space in the Concorde for the waiting travelers. Badly designed airport. Must create a terrible impression for tourists to the capital of the USA.

"Antiquated, dated, unpleasant"

Not Verified | This the worst airport for international travel. It took 2 hours to get through because they only had 6 people working! The nations capital and this is how we operate - how embarrassing and a joke. I travel internationally and this is by far the worst! Antiquated, dated, unpleasant!
Date VisitJuly 2019

"Get more staff recruited"

Not Verified | Wow. What an appalling entry experience to my new working life in the USA. Landed 1520. Entered arrivals hall 1552. It’s now 1712 and I’m so bored of waiting I thought I’d write this review to pass the queuing time! There are 3rd world airports in Africa which are better resourced and organized than Dulles. Get more staff recruited to cope with peak arrivals times. Get family-focused queue systems. Use more technology-based filtering systems. Mr Trump - You don’t need to spend money building a wall - just deploy the Dulles arrivals process to the Mexican border to deter anyone from coming to the USA!
Date VisitJuly 2019

"This is just a bad airport"

(Egypt)

Trip Verified | This is just a bad airport. It’s old/outdated, long queuing times and the staff are not friendly. Not clean and you have to get on a (very) crowded bus to get to the terminal Ok selection of shops/restaurants and free WiFi although it’s a bit patchy.

"Dulles is a huge pain"

Trip Verified | Dulles is a huge pain, it took my family 55 minutes after landing on a domestic flight to walk out of the airport. First we land but need to wait 15 minutes for a gate. From the gate, walk 400 meters, to the people mover, wait for the doors to close, then trudge around the tarmac, exit the people mover, and then another 400 meters to baggage claim. It's been 40 minutes, and at any other airport the bags should be there - but this is Dulles, so wait 15 more minutes. 55 minutes in total. The only benefit of having Dulles as my home airport is I never have to change planes at it.