Washington Dulles Airport

"This airport is a national embarrassment"

Not Verified | Dulles is a horrible airport! It is amazing to me that in one of the busiest regions in the Nation nothing has been done at this airport to address the remarkable and ridiculous sprawl, the unreal security lines for domestic travel, the terrible, inefficient busing system, the terrible service, and the totally inadequate train system. This airport is a national embarrassment!
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"Dulles gets the job done"

Trip Verified | Traveling through Dulles now the past couple of years, as it is my primary international airport in Washington, has been pretty consistent. On average it takes me under an hour from check in to the gate, and under an hour on return from immigration to the arrivals curb outside. The TSA officers are efficient on departure, and the return of Mobile Passport is a godsend for immigration on returns. The main problems basically were the management of the mobile passport and Global Entry lines at immigration and of course the dreaded mobile lounges one has to take to immigration. But overall Dulles gets the job done.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"Simply appalling"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Simply appalling. Arrived about 9pm ex LHR, 3 officers on the international side initially, reduced to 2 part way through. We were there at least 1.5 hours and we were at the front of the line off our plane. Those behind must have been there at least 2.5 hrs. US public infrastructure is so often very poor. Pick another spot to enter if possible.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Zero compassion, zero kindness"

Not Verified | I was coming back from my mother's funeral in Europe. The emigration officer was very kind to me and expressed his sympathy. Unfortunately, the baggage control officer behaved quite opposite. He treated me as a smuggler or someone like that. Took me to the side to check my luggage, flipping over all my clothes. Zero compassion, zero kindness. As a religious minister I serve the country for 20 years but yesterday I was treated like an enemy.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"little or no organisation"

Not Verified | Took 2 hours to get through passport control on a Sunday evening, when there were just 5 or 6 immigration officers on duty. Some of them just sat around chatting amongst themselves, then disappeared. Ridiculously under-staffed considering there were well over 1000 passengers in the arrivals hall, which was poorly managed, with little or no organisation. Two elderly ladies in wheelchairs had apparently just been abandoned by airport staff in the queue, with no-staff available to assist them to actually reach the immigration desks. If you’re flying into the US, suggest you plan to land elsewhere.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"Terrible experience at Passport Control"

Not Verified | Terrible experience at Passport Control. Insane that this problem has been going on for months (read other reviews) with no improvement. I got through in an hour because the kid managing the line made a mistake and put me through with the diplomats. Others waited for 2-3 hours. Part of the issue is the constant stream of airline personnel (pilots, attendants) being ushered to the head of the line. We'd see one crew take 20 minutes to finish, then here came another crew. As other reviewers have said, there were empty seats for more customs agents. Those agents that were there couldn't have cared less. I can't blame them. If management isn't working, why should they? I gotta find another airport for international travel.

"Staff were indifferent"

Not Verified | Horrible experience at passport control. 2 booths were open for most of the time. Waited almost 3 hours to get through. Staff were indifferent. I was embarrassed to be an American by the lack of respect for everyone’s time.

"It was disgusting"

Not Verified | The ticketing/boarding agent prior to our boarding was the most unprofessional human I’ve ever seen. He yelled at an elderly women for not knowing what group she was to board. I spoke up and said you are being extremely rude and he yelled at me by saying he wasn’t being rude. We were the ones in the wrong. It was insane! He literally kept arguing with us! I have flown a lot in the last few years and I have never had an experience even remotely similar to that. It was awful! He owes that sweet elderly woman and myself an apology! It was disgusting!

"badly operated airport"

Not Verified | When I saw the bus on the tarmac I thought it was a joke I couldn’t believe that they do not only put us in an old dirty and noisy bus but also makes us wait until got full. I was traveling in business class and the chief flight attendant asked the bus driver if this bus will be only for biz class customers. Right? He answered. Nope. We will fill it out. After waiting and waiting we finally start moving and doing half a dozen stops on an active runway (not safe at all). Once at the terminal immigration officers were fine (I went through Global Entry). And the nightmare continues at the baggage claim where we waited for 45 minutes to get our “priority” bags. I will never fly again to that outdated and badly operated airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Only 3 to 6 screening agents"

Not Verified | 90-120 minute wait to pass through customs for American passport/green card holders on Labor Day 2019. Only 3 to 6 screening agents were working on one of the busiest travel nights of the year, with at least half the booths designated for American passport/green card holders empty. An airport this poorly designed and inconvenient to downtown can’t afford to be so poorly run. Will pay extra to fly into BWI or DCA next time.
Date VisitSeptember 2019